VoyForums
[ Show ]
Support VoyForums
[ Shrink ]
VoyForums Announcement: Programming and providing support for this service has been a labor of love since 1997. We are one of the few services online who values our users' privacy, and have never sold your information. We have even fought hard to defend your privacy in legal cases; however, we've done it with almost no financial support -- paying out of pocket to continue providing the service. Due to the issues imposed on us by advertisers, we also stopped hosting most ads on the forums many years ago. We hope you appreciate our efforts.

Show your support by donating any amount. (Note: We are still technically a for-profit company, so your contribution is not tax-deductible.) PayPal Acct: Feedback:

Donate to VoyForums (PayPal):

Login ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 123456[7]8910 ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: 20:12:58 01/24/02 Thu
Author: Ron
Author Host/IP: 52-67-dialup-mtl.axess.com / 216.162.67.52
Subject: Re: New to Site/ Hi/ Montreal Corned Beef
In reply to: PuppyBreath 's message, "New to Site/ Hi/ Montreal Corned Beef" on 12:34:04 01/24/02 Thu

Hi there Pup. Welcome. I tried the smoked meat in the fall on account that you need to cold smoke the brisket. I only did it once and intend to do it again this spring before it gets too hot outside. I guess being in BC would mean you could do it now and not have to wait for the spring. The key is to smoke for at least 4 hrs at 80 degrees or longer until the meat reaches that temp if you have a lot of time on your hand. I achieved that with my WSM by placing only 4 coals and fire them with a blow torch until they began turning red a little and placing a nice chunk of hickory on top. You may have to add one or two coals in the process. I can't do this recipe in the summer on account that the outside temp is already too high. After that period you slowly bump up the cooker's temp to 180 and cook until the meat's internal temp reaches 180. Depending on the size of your brisket it can take one to two eternities to cook.
You'll have to leave your brisket in brine for 2 weeks before cooking. I used an injector and got away with a week in brine and it worked. Here's one brine recipe that should work:
1 onion chopped
1 head of garlic chopped
2 big handfull of salt
1 tbs pepper
1 tsp saltpeter
4lb brisket

Make sure to put a weight on the meat to keep it immersed. After that process, rinse well and roll the brisket in steak spices, the ones containing peppercorns and coriander seeds. leave it for a few hours and good luck and remember not to eat it right away when out of the cooker, that's the hardest part, lol. The next day you steam your brisket or a chunk of it for 2 hours before slicing and serving on rye bread. If you can put your hand on pickling spices you should use it. Half a box will do in the brine, it's even better. On the other hand If you're interested in getting packaged brine mix blended here in Montreal let me know and I will stir you in the right direction. Gosh that was long winded. Good luck on your smoked meat. Let us know how it turned out.
BTW I don't know what you cook with but you can always ask Bruce for ideas, sometimes scary LOL, to keep the temp low if the outside temp is too high and you want to do this in the summer.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.