VoyForums

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 1234567 ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: 17:16:19 08/31/16 Wed
Author: Registrar
Subject: Names?

P-G story said a bunch of people have taken Trib buyout offer. Any significant names in that group?

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:

[> Re: Names? -- Hold Your Horses, 04:59:09 09/01/16 Thu [1]

The deadline just happened. It's not clear yet.

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[ Edit | View ]

[> Re: Names? -- Paper Pusher, 17:28:46 09/01/16 Thu [1]

The buyout deadline is Sept. 19.

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> Re: Names? -- Boner, 08:57:55 09/02/16 Fri [1]

If it's following the protocol of last year's buyout, eligible staff had one week to notify TTM that they were interested in accepting the buyout. Then a few weeks passed while TTM put together info for each of the interested employees. The employees then had a little while to decide if they wanted to accept the deal.

[ Edit | View ]

[> Re: Names? -- Dick Scaife's ghost, 19:21:37 09/09/16 Fri [1]

Bumsted for sure.

http://www.mcall.com/news/nationworld/pennsylvania/capitol-ideas/mc-state-capitol-newsroom-loses-a-veteran-20160909-story.html

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> Re: Names? -- Dick Scaife's ghost, 18:06:55 09/10/16 Sat [1]

Carl Prine and Mike Wereschagin both said on social media that they were leaving. Prine's going to the San Diego Union-Tribune.

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> Re: Names? -- Last One Out, Get The Lights, 23:42:47 09/10/16 Sat [1]

Prine's seldom used Twitter account identifies him now as Military Affairs Reporter for the San Diego Union Tribune.

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> Re: Names? -- Requiem for a dinosaur, 09:03:09 09/12/16 Mon [1]

Prine told me that he had multiple offers 20 minutes after posting his availability on Facebook. He apparently chose the one he liked.

He wrote a sweet farewell "newsmaker" note to everyone.

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> Re: Names? -- Slappy the clown, 10:04:45 09/11/16 Sun [1]

David Conti
Alex Nixon
Salena Zito

Let's not forget the buyouts come before what will likely be massive layoffs. I expect half the remaining editors to be gone by the beginning of 2017 and at least a quarter of the remaining reporters.

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> Re: Names? -- Time Ticking, 20:06:00 09/11/16 Sun [1]

Then why don't they just bow to the inevitable and close down? They are no longer viable. The outlying papers they might be able to unload.

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> [> Re: Names? -- A nibble of cake, 09:10:25 09/12/16 Mon [1]

The "strategy" from the second floor and the new editor, Luis Fabregas, appears to be to mitigate the unfolding disaster by retaining some of the few remaining reporters.

Private meetings were held last week and it appears as if the big winners will be Jeremy Boren, Megan Guza, Chris Togneri and similar staffers, if they stay.

Can they replace a Wereschagin, Bumsted or Prine?

I doubt that they care.

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> [> [> Re: Names? -- REALLY?, 12:54:12 09/13/16 Tue [1]

If the future of the Trib rests with those rather uninspired youngsters, it's done. They're more Upgruv and Incline types. Might as well just fold it now, i'd say. All these activities are doing is delaying the inevitable.

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> [> [> Re: Names? -- Please explain this..., 13:54:31 09/13/16 Tue [1]

What do you mean they will be the big winners...
Promotions? Simply still have a job? What?

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> [> [> [> Re: Names? -- Required Name, 10:34:55 09/16/16 Fri [1]

Some will be promoted. Some will have jobs. Please remember that they forced out Bumsted, Prine and others so that Guza, Tognieri and others might have a shot at staying.

You can't make it up.

Heck, I decided to stay and I never got invited to a meeting, so I'm probably out along with the rest.

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> Re: Names? -- Last Resort, 00:04:08 09/20/16 Tue [1]

You mean they're out to promote the new generation of "kiddies." Oh my.

They seem bent on making a star of Togneri, but his prose is tortured and pretentious, an update of the ancient "sob sister" style of journalism where human interest stories were written in a sentimental fashion.

If the Trib is hanging their hat on the likes of Chris, Guza, Fontaine, Cato and a few more, that's a damned shaky hat rack. BCT alumnus Fontaine as a political reporter? That's laughable!

Why don't they just fold TTM now and save everyone the agony of continuing this charade?

[ Edit | View ]

[> Re: Names? -- Fomer DK subscriber, 06:48:12 09/11/16 Sun [1]

Randy Bish posted he's leaving to his social media accounts.

[ Edit | View ]

[> Re: Names? -- Requiem for a dinosaur, 09:00:59 09/12/16 Mon [1]

In Pittsburgh: Wereschagin, Merriman, Zito, Shean, Prine, McNickle, Pavely, Knox, Schisler, Goldband, Palmiero, Bumsted (Harrisburg), Shrefler, Quinn, Conti, Nixon.

Others still deciding. Pretty much the entire photography department might leave.

This follows the "retirement" of the Trib editor and ME, plus the departure (ahem) of the sports editor.

Mass layoffs are expected to target remaining editors and copy editors.

It's a mixed bag, but there are some big names on that list.

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> Re: Names? -- Conductor, 03:23:35 09/13/16 Tue [1]

Wait a minute....McNickle left?

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> Re: Names? -- Olde English, 09:56:12 09/13/16 Tue [1]

His old columns remain on the website. There wasn't one posted this past Sunday.

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> [> Re: Names? -- Bikey, 07:30:59 09/14/16 Wed [1]

Is Mike Seate really coming back to run the editorial page?

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> Re: Names? -- Ketchup Heir, 14:29:03 09/13/16 Tue [1]

It would appear so. Wonder if he told anyone to "shove it" before he left?

[ Edit | View ]

[> Re: Names? -- The Cheap Seats, 03:40:15 09/13/16 Tue [1]

When do the layoffs start to affect sports?

Or is that department safe for now?

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> Re: Names? -- Bad News, 11:17:48 09/13/16 Tue [1]

Nobody is safe.

Every person should take the buyout and at least get something out of it before the whole entire ship sinks.

And from what I am told it will be completely under water by next summer.

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> Re: Names? -- Fly on the wall, 12:08:39 09/13/16 Tue [1]

Kaboly is jumping ship to go to DK. Word on the street is that Rossi is leaving as well.
I also heard that some others in sports have put in their papers as well.

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> Re: A Where Does Rossi Go? -- A Reader, 22:15:04 09/13/16 Tue [1]

He nuked all bridges when he left the PG. So that's certainly not an opinion. Perhaps joining DK, or perhaps managing on of daddy's ice cream outlets?

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> [> Re: A Where Does Rossi Go? -- Former DK subscriber, 12:38:29 09/14/16 Wed [1]

DK and Rossi seem to not be on the best relations although I can remember DK dogging Kaboly too so who knows?

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> [> Re: A Where Does Rossi Go? -- Rossi's Future, 15:05:39 09/14/16 Wed [1]

Rossi is helming the sports coverage for Upgruv, the digital media thing that 535 (aka Trib Total Media) is trying to push more.

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> [> [> Re: A Where Does Rossi Go? -- Jacque Strappe, 23:37:05 09/14/16 Wed [1]

You mean the alternative fool's paradise to "The Incline?" Hilarious!!!

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> Re: Names? -- The Cheap Seats, 06:05:43 09/14/16 Wed [1]

So DK can now afford Kaboly too?

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> Re: Names? -- Jus Dafax, 19:03:45 09/13/16 Tue [1]

How good is this buyout? Two weeks pay and you get to keep your scissors and mouse pad, but have to leave the paper clips and stapler? And don't even think of taking any reporter's notebooks.

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> Re: Names? -- Fax man, 10:49:52 09/14/16 Wed [1]

Considering the above list of employees supposedly taking the buyout, I'm sure it's much better than two weeks pay and a stapler.

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> [> Re: Names? -- Jus Dafax, 09:48:55 09/15/16 Thu [1]

Hey Fax Man, where are your facts? If you are sure it is better, then what is it? Where are the facts? Remember this isn't a Guild operation -- one gal could get a big buyout and another guy a pittance.

Remember, Trib total whatever is the group that boosts its "circulation" by giving it away or charging about 11 cents a paper. If they say they have a buyout, I am skeptical it is much more than a don't let the door hit you in the butt on the way out. With layoffs near, they probably don't have to offer much to get employees to bite.

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> [> [> Re: Names? -- Jus Dafax is a moron, 10:37:26 09/16/16 Fri [1]

The offer was to anyone with five years at TTM. They get 1 1/2 weeks of pay for every year of employment. Because Pennsylvania court decisions allow for unemployment compensation for those electing to take buyouts, they also get the capped benefits for up to six months.

They can Cobra their medical coverage, too.

I decided to stay. We'll see how that goes. I might get the unemployment and a pat on the head on the way out.

[ Edit | View ]

[> Re: Names? -- S. McBeam, 23:21:41 09/14/16 Wed [1]

Joe Rutter stays and takes over Trib Steelers beat.

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> Re: Names? -- The Cheap Seats, 04:17:49 09/15/16 Thu [1]

As of this morning, Kaboly's twitter is still linked to TTM and says he is Steelers beat reporter.

Is there a waiting period for an employee who took the buyout to becoming a former employee? Or does this mean Kaboly isnt leaving?

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> Re: Names? -- Kay Blooey, 05:56:20 09/15/16 Thu [1]

It means that he heard Kevin Gorman is being promoted from "columnist" to columnist! It means the business is saved!! Safe for Kaboly, Rossi and everyone to stay!!

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> Re: Names? -- Monday, 07:59:48 09/15/16 Thu [1]

Monday is the day when the buyouts become official. Kaboly has been taken off the beat but has to stay until Monday.

That is why the grand announcement on DK website about a new hire will be made on Monday.

One question - if Kaboly goes there to become the Steelers guy, what happens to the kid from Tennessee that Dejan hired to cover the Steelers?

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> Re: Names? -- Nashville, 04:25:35 09/16/16 Fri [1]

Tennessee will be reassigned to back-up Steelers guy/back-up Pirates guy.

For as long as he lasts, he will be.

[ Edit | View ]

[> kaboly to DK? -- RobertoSan, 07:41:50 09/16/16 Fri [1]

This is the big news DK promised???? Kaboly is not bad,but he is not a gamechanger.But he would be an upgrade over Dustin. Dustin is pretty much in over his head.

[ Edit | View ]

[> Re: Names? -- Deserting the ship, 10:00:43 09/16/16 Fri [1]

Eric Heyl posted via social media that he is also leaving.

Few, if any, employees from the Station Square days remain.

[ Edit | View ]

[> Re: Names? -- Requiem for a dinosaur, 10:43:45 09/16/16 Fri [1]

By my count, about 35 from the third floor of D.L. Clark will take the buyout. When you factor in the "retired" and "seeking opportunities elsewhere" among the senior editorial leadership, plus those with less than five years in who are actively interviewing elsewhere, you're going to witness an exodus of at least 40 from the newsroom.

Who cares about the second floor? This disaster was their making. If anyone should be out, they should.

If you asked those who already left, they would say that they lost faith in the second floor to manage a business and never harbored much confidence in Luis and Jeremy as replacements for Frank and Jim.

For what they're worth, the rumors portend the shuttering of most of the Pittsburgh operation by December, the consolidation of the Valley and Greensburg print products and the withdrawal from circulating in much of Allegheny County.

But they're just rumors. The problem is that management hasn't been very forthcoming, and what few pronouncements fluttered down from their perches were contradictory or murky.

What do I know? I decided to stay, so I'll probably be out soon enough.

Any place hiring?

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> Re: Names? -- Darth, 23:21:25 09/16/16 Fri [1]

End game that should be but probably won't be.

Shutter Pittsburgh. Sell Greensburg and Tarentum separately.

There are smaller chains would jump at both. McKeesport wasn't bought but Connellsville and Kittanning were. The owners of the new Mon Valley Independent bought the Trib's Valley Independent assets and started a paper focused on print and local news. It could work in the Mon Valley.

Don't consolidate VND and Westmoreland Trib. The latter looks like a Chamber of Commerce publication with crime reports and Pellegrino's McNickle lite editorial page.

Of course if you divested this way, TTM would go and then Jennifer and her "team" would have to be job-hunting themselves, wouldn't they? Not sure they'd like that.

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> Re: Names? -- Michael Motorcycle, 06:43:06 09/20/16 Tue [1]

This was a second floor problem? This statement confuses me. Didn't the third floor have three times the national average of editorial employees for a paper with this circulation? I guess having 150 extra employees for 20 years didn't contribute to the wasteful spending. Maybe if Frank or Ralphie boy ever looked at the bottom line instead of robbing Dick blind, the Trib wouldn't be in this situation. On the other hand, Dick could of left his money to the newspaper and all would be well. Dick didn't do that so now the paper has to make cuts to stay viable. Its not rocket science, its business. Everything I am hearing is the Trib newsroom is happier than they have been in a long time. I wonder if that has anything to do with the change in leadership...

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> Re: Names? -- Velocipede, 15:52:07 09/20/16 Tue [1]

Dick wanted to pretend he was a mogul with his playtime empire and freely spent to indulge himself, convinced he could destroy the PG, now almost certain to outlast the Trib in a severely depleted form. The recent departures included most of Dick's zealots like Craig, Cuddy, McNickle, Bish, Heyl and Zito. So there may be a "happy Trib newsroom" yet it may prove a hollow victory. The money earmarked to keep the paper afloat is the focus of the Scaife offspring legal action. That money is not available, so Dick's dream will likely die.

http://www.post-gazette.com/local/city/2015/11/06/Scaife-children-say-they-were-kept-in-dark-about-trust-as-it-was-drained/stories/201511060165

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> [> Re: Names? -- Michael Motorcycle, 07:34:08 09/21/16 Wed [1]

I agree that Dick did whatever he wanted trying to put the PG out of business. That is why the newsroom was so large. Once Dick passed, changes had to be made. The leadership at the time(Ralph, Frank & Yale G)Were incapable of making these changes. That is why they are no longer there. The only hope they have is the current leadership. From the looks of it, they are doing everything possible to ensure the papers survival. Once all the changes are finalized the Trib will/should FINALLY be on solid ground. The same cant be said for the PG.

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> [> [> Re: Names? -- Vespa, 23:18:33 09/21/16 Wed [1]

So, the PG has the parent, Block Communications, a very profitable media company that owns the Blade, cable systems and TV stations, behind it. You really think that in a city like Pittsburgh, that could only ever support only one daily, that survivor will be the Trib? What makes you think they can diminish a product that was always mediocre at best to practically nothing, and attract enough readers and advertisers to survive? The remaining staffers, editors and reporters alike, are largely so-so or bottom of the barrel types whose work was never better than mediocre.

The new corporate leaders are bean counters on a fool's errand. Maybe you think people will accept anything. Trib cheerleaders always tend to have a "Baghdad Bob" quality about them. But even when Scaife bloated the newsroom, the Trib was never the success he claimed it to be. He gave away thousands of copies to create an illusion of growth.

Whatever happens to the PG, and its survival is by no means certain, the Jennifers at TTM are not going to do anything but delay the inevitable. If they are the only hope, it's no hope at all.

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> [> [> Question for Michael-- -- Enquiring mind, 14:43:37 09/22/16 Thu [1]

So tell us, what demographic will MAYBE put the Trib on "solid ground?" The place is imploding, and people think that Pittsburghers will embrace it?

[ Edit | View ]

[> Re: Names? -- Sticks, 04:28:20 09/20/16 Tue [1]

Lot of people gathered at the Park House last night for a farewell.

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> Re: Names? -- Barlow, 11:00:52 09/20/16 Tue [1]

Who all is out in Sports??

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> Re: Names? -- Lurch The Lurker, 07:33:21 10/03/16 Mon [1]

Cohn, Paulk. Wasko?

[ Edit | View ]

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
Note: This forum is moderated -- new posts are not visible until approved.
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Note: This forum is moderated -- new posts are not visible until approved.

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-8
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2016 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.