VoyForums
1 CLICK GIVES FREE FOOD!
www.TheHungerSite.com
Protect Habitat with a Click!
www.TheRainforestSite.com
Non-profit ad served by VoyForums...

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 1234567 ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: 10:31:57 10/23/16 Sun
Author: A Casual Observer
Subject: DK whining about retracting a Pirates scoop

The Pirates fired their third base coach and reassigned their first base coach to a new position.

They announced this on Saturday 10-22-16. DK had this to say on twitter dot com:

"Had Friday Insider item three weeks ago Rick Sofield was getting ax. Heard from @Pirates in middle of night it wasn't true. Took it out. :("

As usual, the DK-bots came out in droves.

"Can never trust this organization again"

"This organization LIED. Are we surprised?"

DK egged it on, of course.

Just some food for thought on this situation:

1. If DK had this item three weeks ago, and the Pirates deny, do you not trust your source enough to stand by it, with an update that the Pirates denied?

2. Why would you publicly tweet about this? Wouldn't it be more productive to talk to your source and figure out who was lying? At the very least, to know if you have a trustworthy source?

Seems very petty and childish, and not at all professional.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:

[> Re: DK whining about retracting a Pirates scoop -- Dejan? Professional? HAHAHAHAHAHA!, 18:11:14 10/23/16 Sun [1]

Whew. Needed that laugh. Thanks!
Also, keep in mind, he was told THREE WEEKS AGO that it wasn't true. I would believe it that at the time, he wasn't getting fired, even if he was on shaky ground.
A LOT can change in three weeks.

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[ Edit | View ]

[> Re: DK whining about retracting a Pirates scoop -- Forward progress, 19:27:53 10/23/16 Sun [1]

The Pirates flat out lied to him, again. What is he supposed to do, sit there and accept their crap like everyone else in the sports media?

The landscape has changed, DK's outfit isn't beholden to corporate affiliations.
Hevis going to call out the dirt bag organizations.

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> Re: DK whining about retracting a Pirates scoop -- A Casual Observer, 05:14:21 10/24/16 Mon [1]

As someone else pointed out (and I forgot to include in my original post), it is entirely possible, and even somewhat plausible, that at that time the Pirates hadn't made a decision to fire whoever, so they denied it was true.

If you were Rick Sofield and your employer hadn't *yet* decided to fire you (though they may be leaning towards it), wouldn't you want the courtesy of your organization denying it until it was official, or that you had a chance to talk?

My whole thing is, DK won't allow that for a possibility. He went on to say that he had it in there, then took it out, so some people saw his original report.

Why not stand by your report, and add that the Pirates denied it? That's all I'm saying.

[ Edit | View ]

[> Re: DK whining about retracting a Pirates scoop -- Out oif left field, 01:39:47 10/24/16 Mon [1]

He'll deny it a million times, but DK has been on the warpath against Pirates management (the baseball people, not the ownership) for at least five years. He lobbied hard for them to be fired and did his best to ridicule them constantly. This was when he was still at the Trib. Then they made the playoffs three straight years, and he couldn't say much. After another crappy season, he's sharpening the knives again.

As far as the firings of coaches, here's another possibility. Maybe three weeks ago the Pirates were going to keep the coaches. Then perhaps they discussed it further and decided to make changes after all. Only DK would take a change of mind as a plot against him individually.

I feel bad for the people who work for him.

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> Re: DK whining about retracting a Pirates scoop -- Out oif right field, 06:12:09 10/24/16 Mon [1]

If the Pirates did indeed lie to the poor boy, it was just their way of telling him he doesn't matter.

[ Edit | View ]

[> Re: DK whining about retracting a Pirates scoop -- The Cheap Seats, 04:50:58 10/24/16 Mon [1]

How can anyone trust that he actually had the Sofield firing 3 weeks ago? I wouldnt put it past him to tweet that he was lied to as to curry favor toward his minions.

Why would the Pirates FO even know what he was planning on publishing to even deny it? He went to them beforehand for a comment? If he trusted his source, then run with it along with their denial. As someone else stated, people change decisions all the time - is he mad that NH didnt call him in advanced that Sofield was now getting canned? Not surprised.

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> Re: DK whining about retracting a Pirates scoop -- Mondesi, 05:56:01 10/24/16 Mon [1]

I think it's pretty obvious that he had no credible source, just the usual rumor that was e-mailed to him.

[ Edit | View ]

[> Re: DK whining about retracting a Pirates scoop -- Voice of the Fan, 20:36:25 10/24/16 Mon [1]

Who does DK work for? The Pirates? Any sports team? Or does he work for his subscribers? The Fans?

His job is not to protect the teams, especially a known duplicitous one like the Pirates.
His job is to be the eyes, ears and voice of the fan. That's what the fans pays him for. If that means exposing and shaming people that run the team so be it.

Call it axe grinding, no.
His paid subscribers call it doing his job.

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> Re: DK whining about retracting a Pirates scoop -- Bladed Wedge, 05:50:27 10/25/16 Tue [1]

I am not a subscriber to his site so he definitely doesn't work for me. Of course his job is not to protect any team, but his job should be to report ethically and honestly. In a lot of cases, his work seems to be a reach that requires a leap of faith. I don't sense a lot of substance in his work, just his own opinion. I agree with others here that in this case he had no real facts but was trying to post a lead. It didn't work. I would think his paid subscribers would prefer more for their money.

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> Re: DK whining about retracting a Pirates scoop -- The Cheap Seats, 06:07:51 10/25/16 Tue [1]

The next time DK exposes or shames any front office member of the Steelers or Penguins for poor decisions will be the first time.

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> Re: DK whining about retracting a Pirates scoop -- Former DK subscriber, 15:24:54 10/25/16 Tue [1]

Agree with The Cheap Seats.

DK's Pirates vendetta has gone on for years, yet from what I saw not one DKer questioned Tomlin's field goal call in the 4th that local and even national media scoffed at. His agenda is obvious.

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> Re: DK whining about retracting a Pirates scoop -- CornFused, 16:26:08 10/25/16 Tue [1]

Really? There plenty of times he's dragged the Penguins over the coals.

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> In honor of DK's supporters -- Poet Laureate, 06:54:16 10/25/16 Tue [1]

Let's all salute the DK shills
Who think their hero is king of the hills
His staffer turnover is not a big deal
To dare disrespect him is wrong and unreal!

But if DK's Blog's something no one can dare slay
Why is he so touchy about what folks say?
If it's strong and impregnable, it should be pure
Yet the thin skinned responses seem way insecure!

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> Re: DK whining about retracting a Pirates scoop -- A Casual Observer, 09:06:50 10/25/16 Tue [1]

If he works for the fans, then why did he remove his reporting?

Should have left it in, and added the denial. In his "takes" column today he said he removed it out of respect to Sofield.

So then does he work for Sofield? Please explain this rationale.

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> Re: DK whining about retracting a Pirates scoop -- The Cheap Seats, 17:08:48 10/25/16 Tue [1]

He protects anyone not associated with the Pirates.

A few weeks before Jamie Dixon left Pitt, he write a column praising everything from him being a great bench coach to top notch recruiting and got really defensive when a few posters called him out for saying Dixon was a great recruiter.

Fast forward 2 weeks later and his column about Dixon's departure said it was time and criticized his recruiting. Just awful.

[ Edit | View ]

[> Re: DK whining about retracting a Pirates scoop -- Just Saying, 13:52:11 10/25/16 Tue [1]

If the Pirates, Steelers and Penguins would all have a stretch of losing seasons - even two of the three -- I don't think Dejan's subscription numbers would go up. I think they'd go down. From a business perspective, I don't think his calling these teams out gains nearly as many subscribers and interest in his product as the team being a winner does.

[ Edit | View ]

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
Note: This forum is moderated -- new posts are not visible until approved.
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Note: This forum is moderated -- new posts are not visible until approved.

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-8
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2016 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.