VoyForums

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345 ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: 08:29:31 07/18/11 Mon
Author: Megan
Subject: Have a friend tail for you while you practice
In reply to: Ileana 's message, "Get a Friend to Work with You" on 06:37:52 07/18/11 Mon

Hello!

I agree with what Ileana has wrote. I too have had to train my colt for in-hand work. The best thing to do if you can't get him trotting with just you at his head, is to have a friend run behind him with a whip as you start running at his head, so you'll all be running together. (You may have to have him/her crack the whip or hit the ground right behind your horse to get him going.) This is called tailing. I have tailed for my colt in hand at a show and it was so much fun! If he still doesn't respond with someone tailing behind him, have the tail person tap his back legs just above his hocks and he should kick right into high gear, so HOLD ON TIGHT! :) These horses are strong and powerful and need a strong head person as well, because when they get going, they REALLY get going. I am not strong enough, nor can I run fast enough to be a header. So I get to tail and it's a lot of fun! I hope this helps. It's good exercise for both you and your horse. :)

Megan

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
* Message subject (required):

* Name (required):

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-8
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2017 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.