VoyForums

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: [1]23 ]

SS Uganda
SS Uganda Re-united
Get a free Giffgaff Sim
Welcome to the SS Uganda message board.
Please feel free to add your memories and
recollections of your time aboard ship.

Speedcoin Cryptocurrency
SS Uganda log / SS Uganda Gift Shop / / Misc Uganda Stuff

Hello and welcome to the SS Uganda message board.
I hope that if you have sailed on the Uganda that you will use this message board
to post your recollections of your time on board. Maybe your looking for class mates
or if you where aboard at the time of the Falklands war your memories would also be welcome.
Looking for friends /shipmates/forces friends or want to trade memorabilia relating to SS Uganda then post it here.

BTW I`m looking for the cardboard cut-out model
that used to be sold in the ships souvenir shop.

( I sailed on her in Feb 1979 with the Northampton School for Boys .)

Yours ,
Ashley

Forum visitors (since 21/04/08)
page counter
Web Site Hit Counters

free counters

Older messages can be found in the Archive (click here to read)

Back to the Log.

Subject: SS

Author:
Erica Powell (Happiest time ever..amazing)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 15:24:14 08/05/17 Sat

I went on this ship at the end of November 1981 we flew from Gatwick to Malta and went on to Greece to Athens and crete then on to Egypt visiting Alexandria and Cairo saw the pyramids and the sphinx ...I was 10 years old best time of my life

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
Subject: S.S. Uganda Mombassa to Tilbury May 1965

Author:
John Hayhurst
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 21:07:23 12/05/16 Mon

Any Met Office people who were with me on this trip

Subject: 1970 cruise on ss Uganda. with fellow Golspie high pupils. Crossing the bay

Author:
Anne b macleod (Help)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 14:32:42 07/14/16 Thu

Subject: SS UGANDA 1971

Author:
Jacqui Lawrence.
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 17:39:55 03/30/16 Wed

I went from Portswood School on the cruise in June 1971. Gibraltar, Spain,Portugal and France

Subject: MOVIE featuring the SS Uganda - MOVIE Release Project !!

Author:
SS Uganda Fan (Still Determind ! :-))
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 16:29:06 02/10/16 Wed

The movie "ALL AT SEA" (first released in 1969) made by Anvil Film and Recording Group for the CFF (Childrens Film Foundation) features the SS UGANDA, and i'm sure many of you like myself when love to own the movie for the nostalgia element. However, the "BFI" now hold the rights to this and other old CFF movies. They have been, and credit to them, slowly releasing CFF movies on DVD . . . BUT ! They have NO current plans to release "ALL AT SEA" ... Shame on you BFI ... So the thinking is - If lots of people contact the BFI's "National Archive" department and ask them if they have "any plans to release it ?" , then maybe they WILL release "ALL AT SEA" :-) And the world would be a happier place for it, Yes !

Subject: october 1975 school cruise around the med,starting in venice

Author:
lindsay green (wonderfull happy adventure)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 21:47:44 08/15/15 Sat

My school was Ratton secondary school Eastbourne Sussex,the two week cruise started in venice and ended in athens,i along with many others enjoyed seeing countries we had never been to before,it was educational not just a holliday and we were very fortunate to have gone.the cost of the trip was 103pounds,my parents paid for it and i saved the pocket money.its almost 40 years ago, i was 14 years old at the time and i remember the whole experience with happines and fun also it was very interesting,the only thing that was not great was the food.

Subject: 1970 ish

Author:
vic amato (happy)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 21:02:28 06/09/15 Tue

Does anyone remember this trip, we flew to venice to meet the Uganda and went to istanbul, crete, sycily ,and others i cant remember,made some great friends i have lost contact with now.

Subject: School Cruise 1970/1

Author:
Neil Taylor (happy)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 22:27:02 01/17/12 Tue

Can anyone help please.
A friend of mine went on a Hampshire School cruise on the Uganda either in 1970 or 1971. He told me the itinerary The ship sailed from Southampton and went to Gibraltar, Crete, Santorini, Athens, another stop in the Adriatic then Venice, where he flew back to Gatwick.
Many Thanks,
Neil

Replies:
Subject: LOOKING FOR SOMEONE...

Author:
Paul
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 23:56:16 05/09/13 Thu

Hello all.
I have recenty aquired a 'KODAK INSTAMATIC' camera, which has its own case. within the case is the name 'JAYNE QUINN' and 'SS UGANDA'...
I have looked it up and this camera model was only in production between 1971 & 1977.
I was wondering if anyone can help me find this person so I may be able to reunite camera and owner...
I know its a long shot, but I think it would be nice and might bring back some long forgotten memories.
thanks....

Subject: Norway, Iceland July and Dubrovnik - Haifa - Malta etc late Dec 74 - about 5.1.75.

Author:
Jon (Ex Cruiser!)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 01:08:10 04/11/13 Thu

Hello - great memories! I was on both the above, in both cases with the only Irish (Belfast based) groups which were from Bangor / Belfast / Lisburn.

First one I remember meeting some Scottish people and as far as I recall someone from Newfoundland. We called at Iceland, then to Narvik and Andalsnes. A stop at North Cape had to be omitted because of ice. That was my first cruise, and i think my first time on any sort of boat / ship. I was just turned 15 - in fact, I think I had my birthday on the boat. Next time was when I was 17, flying with Dan Air to Dubrovnik. Then we went (as far as I recall) to Santorini, Antalya (Turkey), Haifa (Israel), Malta over the new year - I think we were there on 3rd or 5th january, bright sunny and freezing! We ended up in Naples, I think, after passing Stromboli at night, which was oozing dull red lava and sparks. Great trip!

Replies:
Subject: October 1977

Author:
Richard Dix
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 11:28:47 10/17/11 Mon

Oh what memories. I was on the above cruise which flew from Gatwick to Naples on 14/15 October 1977, with Portchester School, Bournemouth. We visited Pompeii, Alexandria, Haifa, Rhodes. Bodrum and Naples. It cost 156 and my Father hit the roof as they added a late surcharge of 9!!!! I remember all the crew being referred to as "hello Charlie", to which they replied the same! The common room jukebox with Quo's Rocking all over the world being played to death, it brings back memories of the UG-Tug every time I hear it played at parties, weddings etc. Also, Showaddywaddy and "under the moon of love", how dreadful. Being allowed loose for the morning in Rhodes town and ordering something from a menu that was written in greek, it turned up, none of us knew what it was but I ate it anyway, as I was starving. The waiter asked if I had enjoyed it, and did I know what it was, I replied no to both questions and was then informed it was Octopus!! Never touched it since strangely enough. I still get shivers up my back when I think of the sound of that metal cutlery attempting to cut something inedible on those metal trays! Remember the blood oranges? A rumour flew round that the chef (I use that term loosely!)had cut his hand and that was why they were red! Fresca and panda pops in the common room, no wonder we were uncontrollable with all those e-numbers inside us! As we approached Alexandria harbour, an announcement went out on the tannoy, ordering us not to take photos of the Egyptian warships in the harbour, as we were off to Israel the following day, so guess what, 1000 schoolkids used up every film they had taking pics! I remember we went to the pyramids, I paid 10p to go on a camel ride, nobody warned me it got up arse first! Its owner refused to let me off until I paid him 1, cue loud shouting and screaming for our teacher! I remember very fondly a girl called Sue Macdonald from Shaftesbury, fancied her like mad but was too shy!! Ah, young love at 13!! We wrote for a while after getting back, where are you Sue!! So many more memories come flooding back as I write, but I have wittered on for long enough, so I will finish with my last memory of waking up in Stanley Dorm on the last day to the sound of Peter, Paul and Mary, singing "leaving on a jet plane" booming out of the tannoy, not a dry eye in the house although 20 boys swore blind it was because they had something in their eye!! Would love to hear from anyone on the same cruise, still the best holiday I ever had!!

Replies:
Subject: 1968 October Cruise Set Sail from Liverpool

Author:
Steve L
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 21:35:00 01/16/11 Sun

Hi to All
Looking to share memories from the 1968 October school cruise which set sail from Liverpool with pupils from Chester,Liverpool,Wirral,Ellesmere Port and Warrington Widnes areas.
Cruise docked at La Corruna,Gibraltar,Tangiers and finally Lisbon, for around forty odd pounds,really had a brilliant time,still in touch with about four old school mates who where on the cruise

Replies:
Subject: anyone out there

Author:
jayne huxter
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 01:12:30 03/12/12 Mon

hi i was wondering if anyone out there remembers the 1980 cruise from barry south wales ,we sailed to greece,egypt,we went to splitand cnt remember the rest lol but oh boy wat a grt time we all had,if anyone remembers plz send a post thks

Replies:
Subject: re Naples to Split Feb-Mar 1980

Author:
derek hartfield (happy memories)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 22:31:12 03/04/13 Mon

i was aboard cruise ship 073 ( if my memory serves me right) with Tunbridge wells technical high school for boys. What a great holiday, it was the first time that i had flown. Remember all the things mentioned above; ie snow in bethlehem and how cold it was in israel. the sea of galilee was very rough! leap year day always makes me think of cairo and the pyramids. Pompei caught my imagination as i was late back and got a severe bollocking. the life aboard ship was great, the camaradarie between schools, the tuck shop, table tennis, and meal times. most of the staff were from calcutta! we used to call them something that you wouldnt be allowed to say nowadays! I remember having a football match with some local lads in antalya while we were waiting to get back to port. Rhodes and athens were fantastic; ive had several hols since in Rhodes. not so good memories of Split, i thought the people were miserable and we were chased out of a public toilet by a women with a broom (nora batty) because we had no currency and you had to pay! remember the name of Tito in large letters on a hill in the background- may be thats why they were all miserable! the take off home was a bit scary, the airport was surrounded by mountains. Wish i could do it again; do they have reunion cruises? lol

Subject: October 1968

Author:
Steve Lacko
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 20:50:08 02/02/13 Sat

Hi
Would love to hear from anyone who remembers the cruise that sailed from Liverpool in October 1968.The SS Uganda sailed first to La Corruna northern Spain, Tangiers, Gibraltar and final Lisbon, the cruise was for pupils from the N/west of the country.
The cruise was absolutely amazing as we had so much freedom when in port, just great times really,still in touch with three or four school friends who where also on the cruise.
Regards
Steve

Subject: Educational trip 1968 Somerville Jnr School Birmingham

Author:
Jody Johnson (Somerville Jnr School Birmingham)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 17:52:19 01/12/13 Sat

Hello, this was my first Criuse and holiday abroad. Sailed from Tilbury docks to Amsterdam, Copenhagen, Oslo for 11 days then docked at Liverpool. Great memories of this educational holiday. Very cold weather. Would love to hear from anyone else who went on this Cruise that year. Also any teachers who went with us! x

Subject: ss uganda and nevasa

Author:
maurice cowan (happy times)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 23:42:51 12/10/12 Mon

.I sailed on ss uganda in august '73 and again in '75. In 1974 I sailed on ss nevasa. After all these years I still have quite vivid dreams of these trips, on board the ships, tho I think both ships have "become one" over the years.
I was with the Asfield Boys Sec. school crew from Belfast and our '73 trip took in Oslo, Hamburg, Brussels, Antwerp and LeHarve-for Paris.
We had to get a boat from Belfast to liverpool then I think mini buses to Tilbury. We headed to Oslo and on checking my old photos, I realise most are of scenery from the boat, a couple of the largest ski-slope in the world..at that time anyway....I relly wish I had taken many more snaps of the place were all the fun was, for me anyway..on board the uganda..maybe I didnt have a flash.
I think we were in Magellon Dorm. tho it could have been Amunsden...or even Marco Polo, it's been a few years afertall... I got the first bunk on the right just throo the door. I remember the uganda had a partion between each bunk but the nevasa didn't
Us lot from Belfast were quite a rowdy lot, we got into quite a few scraps in our time on board. Tho we were rowdy, we were the nicest guys you could meet, always up for a laugh and a bit of craic. In fact I believe we won the best kept dorm on all 3 occasions, so we couldnt have been too bad.
In my dreams I recall at least one wide wooden straircase, possibly down to the school office, as well as the narrower passage ways and stairways deeper down in the ships. I relly do wish I had taken more internal photos.
Most of the action took place up in the common room, with the duke box playing-Hey...we're going to Barbados(not sure if that was the title of the tune?)and "The Joker" with the line.. "some people call me MAURICE"...I took a bit of stick with that one, and of course the tuck shop and the table tennis table in the corner on the left sorry port side.
I remember hooking up with a Canadian girl called Claire from Newfoundland I think she was from St, Johns. I have a photo of her. She was tall, slim, long straight dark hair and very pretty. My memory tells me it was taken in Amsterdam, but it could have when I was on the Nevasa and not the Uganda. So if your out ther Clare...and have managed to find this site, get in touch..that goes for anybody out there who travelled on the ships in August '73(uganda)..August ''74 (nevasa)...and again august '75 (uganda)....I think this trip only had Irish schools cos it left from belfast.
My heart saddened when I read the final demise of these wonderful ships..esp. uganda as I had sailed on her twice and I was able to find were I had scratched my name on a wooden bench on the first trip and was able to add to it second time round...oops
I would like to say a big thank you to Ashley who has set up this site..It really has brought a lot of magical memories back to me......and I wish i could do it all again, even when standing in a shop at port...and swearing the shop was moving..such laughs.

Replies:
Subject: research

Author:
maurice cowan (excited)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 08:01:15 12/11/12 Tue

A continuation of my first post above.
just been throo my old "tiny and fading" snaps and have concluded that my photo of Clare was taken in Dam square, which would make it '74 on the nevasa. The building in the background is now the ABN AMRO bank. It has had a slight face lift .....I just love google earth street view....need to work out how to upload the photo now lol
BTW our school was ASHFIELD boys school.

Subject: NYOW on the UGANDA

Author:
Kathryn Webber
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 19:43:06 04/28/12 Sat

In August 1973 the National Youth Orchestra of Wales joined the Uganda for a cruise to Oslo, Hamburg, Antwerp, Brussels and Le Havre (for Paris). Concerts were given at every port. In spite of the logistical difficulties of rehearsing on board ship and getting the orchestra and their instruments on and off the ship the trip was a great success. The ship's company were most supportive of the venture and were rewarded with a concert in a church at Montipellier on the last night of the cruise. The programme included Sibelius Second Symphony and the soloist in Marcello's Oboe Concerto was a youthful John Anderson, currently principal oboe with ECO. The conductor was Arthur Davison and the trip was led by B.J.Griffiths of the WJEC. I was a young member of House Staff accompanying the orchestra.

Replies:
Subject: Eastern Med October 1974

Author:
Mostyn Davies
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 19:47:34 02/21/11 Mon

Just come across this site. I was on the Uganda on October/November 1974. 900 Welsh children flew from the newly opened terminal at Rhoose which is now called Cardiff Wales Airport. We flew to Dubrovnic Yugoslavia sailed on to Athens and on to Izmir in Turkey then to Beirut the Greek island Santorini and finally flying home to Wales from Malta. What memories I have as a very young 12 year old who had not been away without his parents before going to such places as Beirut etc,

Replies:
Subject: 1976 December

Author:
Karen Young (nee Hedges)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12:06:53 11/24/12 Sat

I was just browsing the web for a picture of Uganda to put with my just typed copy of my 1976 diary and came across this site! Wonderful, wonderful memories of an unforgetable experience.

Subject: You Tube Film

Author:
Geoff Sheppard
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 21:44:17 11/20/12 Tue

Interesting bit of cine film here from 1977

Subject: 1968 Cruise sailed from Swansea

Author:
Adrian Summerfield
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 18:29:57 11/07/12 Wed

I was just 13 when the SS Uganda departed from Swansea with other kids from my School (Bishop Gore) and others in Swansea.

I remember Vigo, Lisbon, Gibralter, Ceuta and probably other stops that I can't remember - I'd love to hear from anyone else on this same cruise to jog my brain cells about this cruise.

I remember sharing a dorm with some Japanese school kids - Hiroaki Nakumaru became a penpal, and a young girl from his school Tsumi Nomoto (spelling may not be correct) I'd love to hear from them as well!

Subject: edit

Author:
Neil Lindsay
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 11:59:28 05/01/11 Sun

sorry for the typing errors tried to edit but was denied

ps anybody still got the uganda metal badge in the shape of the ships wheel with ss uganda on it

Replies:
Subject: January 1977

Author:
Julie Kearsley (nee Feltham) (happy and sad)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 23:08:42 06/10/11 Fri

I flew from Gatwick to Malta to embark the SS Uganda in the warm sunshine (we all had our winter coats on from England!). I'll never forget cranking my neck up to see the ship - it seemed so high. I went with some friends from Nailsea School in Somerset. I remember the smell of the galley (which really made you wretch whether you were feeling seasick or not). We stopped at Alexandria, where saw lots of little children asking for "shillings". I'd never seen beggars before and it was quite shocking. One of my classmates almost got kidnapped by an Egyptian whilst she was on a camel. We also visited The Parthanon, which was awe inspiring and never to be forgotten. Turkey, where we tasted donner kebabs long before they came to England. At our last night disco, we ended up running from one side of the deck to the other as the ship was rolling so much. It was a wonderful 2 weeks - never ever to be forgotten and it's amazing how often it crops up in conversation throughout the years. I still have the letter my parents wrote me whilst I was there and the SS Uganda metal badge. Many many years later when visited Falmouth, I was in a pub and they had memorabilia everywhere as the Uganda had been moored up in the River Fal ready to be scrapped. It was amazing to see the photos and other artefacts they had and it brought a tear to my eye. I love this site and look forward to hearing about the 60th Anniversary, which could possibly be in Southampton in 2012.

Replies:
Subject: looking for an old friend

Author:
David Brady
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 17:08:07 02/11/08 Mon

is there any way i can get the names or the schools that took part in a cruise in may 1981 .starting in Malta and ending in Athens.?

Replies:
Subject: Educational Cruise, 1968

Author:
Mark Fisher
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 18:20:00 07/23/12 Mon

Went on the SS-Uganda when I was 10 years old, on a school trip from Costan Junior Boys, Greenford, London. Went to Amerstdam, Copenhagen and a town in Norway I can't remember. 1st time away from home without my parents, loved every minute of it.

Years later, a class-mate of mine in Wycombe Royal Grammer School turned out to be on the same cruise as me. Beachy was his name (his surname, we did not use first names in the RGS)

Main index ] [ Archives: [1]23 ]

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a new public message:
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Choose Message Icon: [ View Emoticons ]

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

Get a free Giffgaff Sim

SS Uganda log Speedcoin Cryptocurrency Misc Uganda Stuff

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT+0
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2017 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.