VoyForums

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12 ]

SS Uganda
SS Uganda Re-united
Get a free Giffgaff Sim
Welcome to the SS Uganda message board.
Please feel free to add your memories and
recollections of your time aboard ship.

Speedcoin Cryptocurrency
SS Uganda log / SS Uganda Gift Shop / / Misc Uganda Stuff

Hello and welcome to the SS Uganda message board.
I hope that if you have sailed on the Uganda that you will use this message board
to post your recollections of your time on board. Maybe your looking for class mates
or if you where aboard at the time of the Falklands war your memories would also be welcome.
Looking for friends /shipmates/forces friends or want to trade memorabilia relating to SS Uganda then post it here.

BTW I`m looking for the cardboard cut-out model
that used to be sold in the ships souvenir shop.

( I sailed on her in Feb 1979 with the Northampton School for Boys .)

Yours ,
Ashley

Forum visitors (since 21/04/08)
page counter
Web Site Hit Counters

free counters

Older messages can be found in the Archive (click here to read)

Back to the Log.

Subject: November 1982

Author:
Lynne Braidwood
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 16:15:51 08/27/08 Wed

I am from Dumfriesshire and was on the November 1982 cruise. We flew from Glasgow to Malta to board the ship, I know we visited Israel, the Greek Islands (Mykonos, possibly Rhodes...?) and Athens where we flew home from. I remember standing at the Acropolis looking down on the city through a thick blanket of smog.

I would love to hear from anyone who remembers this trip, hopefully in a bit more detail than me! It would be great to see some photos too.

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
Replies:
Subject: 1981

Author:
Trina Stenson (Happy)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 22:14:59 04/03/12 Tue

Had a wonderful time on this wonderful ship! The Clash playing in the morning, Feel truly blessed to have been able to sail with this wonderful ship! Santorini was a favourite memory for me! such a beautiful place, Action Man doin the Deck Hockey! Top Deck in the evening's was wonderful, Bay of Biscay, so many people got sick!!! I just rocked to sleep x It's only now i appreciate that voyage and the beauty of the Ship! Wish i could do it again xxx

Subject: Malta Refit - Jan 197?

Author:
John Woodhouse
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 10:44:01 04/10/12 Tue

Just found this web site and it proked old memories of my brief stay on Uganda in dry dock in Malta. Remember flying from Heathrow to Naples and sailing with her to Malta as a fresh young new start as Electrical Officer with P&O. Also remember that there was a Switchboard fire on the first night out...welcome aboard!! Most of my memories are playing Rugby and Football as the weekends.. found some old photos.. anyway, good memories of a brief encounter...

Subject: SS UGANDA - Educational Cruise - Cruise No: ??? - May 1980

Author:
Dave
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 19:45:12 05/07/09 Thu

Hi,

Found my old "The Young Mariner's Cruise Journal" ( Very Empty ) Booklet the other day from my time i spent on the
SS Uganda in May 1980, along with my outward flight boarding/luggage slip, some Photo's & The Plastic Wall Plaque our Dorm won for best kept Dormitory ( eek - How embarrassing at the time was that or what ! ).

The Dormitory was : Mungo Park, Named After... Yeah you guessed it :) Mungo Park... Who's Mungo Park i hear you ask... http://www.nndb.com/people/574/000096286/ for more info.

Anyhow, I thought it would be interesting to look up some infomation about the SS Uganda and after a little searching... I found this site... Nice One :)

We took a Laker Airways DC10 ( who had a bad reputation at the time for safe flying abilities ) from Gatwick at 5.40pm on 13/05/80 ( Seat 29B ) landing at Athens a few hour's later, then took a coach trip though Athens at Night ( Very Busy ) to board the ship. Not Sure of the Cruise Number i was on though ( If anyone can help, that would be cool ).

If Memory serves, the route we took was:-
Athens ( Greece ) -
Volos ( Greece ) -
Izmir ( Turkey ) -
Siracusa ( Sicily ) -
Tunis ( Tunisia ) -
Gibraltar -
Lisbon ( Portugal ) -
Then back home to Southampton in the UK via "The Bay Of Biscay" ... Which reminds me of a game we played: "The spot the person NOT being sick competition" - It was ROUGH, as i'm sure some of you also experienced.

One thing i remember whilst onboard was that we didn't do much of the educational thang, it was more about messing around
( and NOT getting caught ! ) and having lot's of fun ( Onboard & Off ) and we did :).

The Food, was BAD in a big way, including those Packed Lunches we were given. Ended up buying food ashore ( although we were told not to do this of course ). And what was that smell in the canteen room ?

Juke Box Favourite Song ( at the time ) was: Rush - The Spirit of Radio.
Juke Box Pet Hate was: Dexys Midnight Runners - Oh Geno.
Worst song to ever play on a ship ? = Rod Stewart - Sailing.

Thinking of the SS Uganda brings back some great memories - A time of innocence and wonder for sure.

Found some Photo's and other Info regarding the SS Uganda Here :
http://www.seadogs-reunited.com/Uganda.htm
"THE POSTER" a little way down the page i'm sure will be of interest to many of you ( Click it for a larger view ).

Everybody after 3 ... 1 - 2 - 3 " We are sail..... " NO NO NO Stop !!!!! ahhhhhh

Replies:
Subject: Re: USS UGANDA cruise - Dunoon Grammar School 72-74

Author:
Jill (happy)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 21:13:32 04/24/12 Tue

hi,have no idea,what made me think of my trip on the unganda today.I went on the Uganda's maiden voyage as a cruise ship,I believe it had been refurbished,having been a troop ship :)I think it was 1967 but of course my memory is not what it was :)First port of call was Malaga should have been Algeria,but they had a situation going on.Next port was Athens followed by turkey,creat,italy. unfortunatly gave me a wander lust,which has kept me poor ever since :) x lol

Subject: Cruise to Tripoli

Author:
Stephen Martin
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 08:12:58 11/27/11 Sun

I was lucky enough to be able to join a cruise with Dumfries Academy, I think it was in 1968.
We flew to Venice on an ex British Eagle plane (I remember the logo on the seats.
The route was Venice, Dubrovnik, Piraeus, Tripoli, Lisbon, Southampton.
Looking back I still can't believe what a fantastic experience this was.
Tripoli was the best - I remember visiting some wonderful archeological site, Leptis Magna was one.
I was in a dormitory call Van der Post (yellow badge). I still remember the smell of disinfectant.

Replies:
Subject: Cruise 1979 november

Author:
Brandt tudgay
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 21:39:25 10/14/09 Wed

Anyone remember me. Cruise med November 1979?

Replies:
Subject: Med Cruise 1973

Author:
Mark Likens (flashback)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 19:06:15 05/06/12 Sun

I was living in Naples in 1973 and going to Forest Sherman high. I was 15. My Christmas present that year was a Med cruise to the Holyland. Greece, Cyprus And Isreal. We drove to Rome where I caught the train to Venice where I boarded the Uganda. I was In Van Dieman dorm. I remember a fairly wicked storm shortly after leaving Greece. Truely wonderful memories were made on that trip.

Subject: NOV 1976??

Author:
STEVE WINKLES (WHAT A GREAT TIME)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 00:09:37 05/16/12 Wed

Hi, does anybody remember a cruise in I think November 1976. We flew from Gatwick by Dan Air to Naples. It was the worst flying experience of my life as we tried to land in a terrific thunderstorm. As far as I can remember we visited the folowing, Malta, Rhodes, Hiafa, somewhere in Turkey and Athens and maybe one other. I was with a party from Perry Beeches school in Birmingham, can remember another party from a school in Littlehampton. Met a great girl named Kay o,loughlin who I spent a lot of time with on this cruise. Would love to hear from anybody who remembers this cruise, the year might be out by one either way.

Subject: Amazing time: Feb 78?, Malta

Author:
Mrs Sue Thompson
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 23:21:40 05/16/12 Wed

I found this website by accident. Our party was Wirral Grammar Girls- I think it was 1977 or 1978 (my scrapbook & log are still in my parents' attic!).
My parents really scrimped & saved to pack me off on this cruise- nobody in our family had ever been out of the country before, and my Grandpa (a shipwright) had a big map on which he had marked out our route (Malta, Cyprus, Egypt, Yugoslavia, flew back from Venice).
I loved it all (even the food- my mum's cooking, bless her, was not much cop!), and used to pretend to the teachers I felt really sick so I could spend time out on deck, just watching the sea for hours. I remember the stormy voyage across to Cyprus, and getting to eat everyone else's breakfast scones. I remember the canteen staff were so kind and tolerant of the hordes of grumpy, puking teenagers, plying us with oranges and sick bags.
I hated the alarm that woke us in the mornings!
Seeing Athens totally inspired me; I went on to read Classics at uni. It was sad to find out how Uganda ended up, but I'll always be really grateful for having been started off with such an amazing experience. And I still have my little metal badge! :)

Subject: Christmas '69

Author:
RDS
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 00:42:39 09/15/11 Thu

Does anyone remember, or recall even, the Christmas Holy Land cruise?
Flew out from Gatwick to Venice; Cruised to Dubrovnik, Izmir, Israel (Jerusalem where someone, not me, 'acquired' an Israeli flag from a flag pole; Nazareth, Bethlehem, etc) them all the way back via the Straits of Sicily to Cetua; finally through the Bay of Biscay - stormy as ever.
Oh Maureen, my first true love, where are you now :-)

Replies:
Subject: Autumn 1972 Romania, Turkey, Italy

Author:
Jane Anthon (now Akshar)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 14:51:53 05/27/12 Sun

I went on this cruise with the Oakmeeds, Burgess Hill, Sussex but I had actually left school and was at college. Because I was over 16 and had written permission from my parents I could smoke!!!!! This made me very popular with other students who wanted to have a fag and would get into trouble if caught. Everyone would hang around me having a fag. Once the teacher came and I was left with 5 lit cigarettes. Imagine that today! We went to Romania, Istanbul Venice, Pisa, Florence and I think Greece. Does anyone remember this cruise.

On the last day they played Rod Stewart I am sailing as a farewell song, I just heard that on the radio and that made me search.

Subject: SS UGANDA Christmas 1976

Author:
Clark Warden (Great memories)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 16:59:30 02/05/07 Mon

It was great to find a forum dedicated to those who experience cruising aboard the good old SS Uganda. I was on the Christmas 1976 cruise to the Holyland. I'm sitting here thinking of all the things I remember and it's quite surprising all the little memories that come flooding back from over 30 years ago. 30 years ago!?!? Crikey, that's scarey!! The trip was an inter-schools group from Northern Ireland. I had just turned 15 and was the only pupil from my school, Friends' School Lisburn. Most of the group were from Bangor Grammar School. We went on a weekend break prior to the cruise so that everyone could get to know each other. I remember we flew out on 18 December 1976 from Belfast to Brindisi on the very southern tip of Italy via a DanAir comet. From Italy the itinery was Antalya in Turkey, Piraeus in Greece, Haifa in Israel, Kos in the Greek Islands and Malta. I'm not sure if that's the correct order. We were supposed to go to Beirut but a lot of trouble started there and it was cancelled. There are lots of little random memories that are springing to mind here... playing deck hockey on the longer journeys between ports and loosing quite a few of the pucks made of rope over board, a horrendous storm in the middle of the Mediterranean Sea, some poor girl dropping her camera into the sea as we boarded one of the motor boats to take us from ship to port; smuggling bottles of Ouzo on board and having our dorms searched by the crew. They never did find our bottles that were well hidden around the pipes; Raiding some of the girls dorms in the middle of the night; catching a bad cold and loosing my voice for about 5 days which was awful; the cold pork pies that we got with the pack lunch; the food on board; the great on board discos in the evening; memorable songs include Dancing Queen by Abba, Don't Go Breaking My Heart by Elton John and Kiki Dee, and of course Sailing by Rod Stewart which always ended the nights. Watching Bugsy Malone in the onboard cinema; riding a camel in Jerusalem; a torrential rain storm in Bethlehem on Christmas Eve night; Our muster station was called Young Husband and we had a pin badge to wear; all members of our dorm being up in front of the Captain for unchaining someones bed and throwing it into one of the swimming pools... terrible; the great banter in the dorms in the evening; the 7 inch vinyl record that we all got on departure; running across the runway at Malta airport to catch the flight home, which we almost missed... and so many more great memories. I haven't seen any of my fellow cruisers since we broke up at the end of the trip. I wonder where they all are? Clark Warden.

Replies:
Subject: October 68

Author:
Stephen L
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 02:45:10 11/10/08 Mon

Hello
Does anyone remember the cruise of 68, sailed from Liverpool in October and called in at the following, La Corruna:Tangiers:Gibraltar and finally Lisbon.I believe there were over 1100 pupils from the northwest of England on board,I and about twenty other boys, represented Woodchurch Secondary Modern for Boys
Had some brilliant times all for the princely sum of £42.00

Replies:
Subject: County of South Glamorgan 093 17-29 Nov 1980 SS Uganda

Author:
Peter Howells
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 14:13:16 04/13/08 Sun

I was on this cruise with pupils from all over south wales schools,leaving Cardiff by coach to Gatwick to catch my first ever flight to Split in the old Yugoslavia.
We then embarked the `UGANDA` and then sailed to Itea for Delphi, then sailed for what seemed the longest two days through a storm and loads of sick bags !! to Alexandria in Egypt.
Suffered a very hot three hour coach drive to Cairo to see the amazing Pyramids and museum also my first encounter of terrible poverty.
We then sailed to Cyprus in which captured my imagination and this Island has become my favorite holiday destination.
Then onto Antalya in Turkey to have my `Shoes` cleaned and watch the girls get chased by the local male turks !!.
We then sailed to Kos- very pretty island then !.
Then our final port of Athens, went to the Acropolis and a tour around Athens before disembarking for our flight back to Gatwick on a Skytrain Freddie Laker DC-10 and slept all the way back !!.

I was in Group Y and my dormitory was `Marco Polo`.
I made friends with Michael Mcgonicle and Christopher Plant.

Replies:
Subject: 1968 cruise from Liverpool

Author:
Stephen langton
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 15:07:46 09/03/11 Sat

Hello
Looking to make contact with anyone that was on the cruise that set sail in October from Liverpool, calling in at the ports of La Coruna, Tangiers,Gibraltar and Lisbon
The cruise catered for schools from the north-west of England and cost £42.00 if my memory serves me right, had some wonderful times and where trusted to view the places we docked at on our own,mind you the world was a different place then.
Best Regards
Steve

Replies:
Subject: SS UGANDA Med 68/69

Author:
Partington
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12:33:46 02/10/12 Fri

I have been reading through the mails here and have not seen the cruise I was on.
Does any one know the date etc. of the Med cruise from Venice to Athens, Heraklion, Istanbul,Gibralta. There may have been some other stops but I had to spend 4 days in the sickbay with Tonsillitis.
We took a coach from Wolverhampton (Coppice High)to Gatwick then flew to Venice; the cruise ended in Southampton.
We got into the papers because in Istanbul 15 of us were piled into a Taxi and there being a cartoon of us. I remember the Bay of Biscay 10 gales force winds and us going round offering the sickkies a bite of our Bacon sandwiches.
Hopefully someone out there can fill in the dates etc.

Replies:
Subject: SS UGANDA

Author:
LYNN O'BRIEN (Great Memories)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 18:11:57 06/30/12 Sat

Wow ! I was lucky enough to go on a school cruise,at 12 yrs old ,When i think about it mow my dad must have paid alot of money for this trip , I am having great childhood memories now thinking about the time i went on ss uganda ship in 1975 or 1976 with my school
St Ninians in Hillhouse Hamilton Lanarkshire Scotland, The ship went to spain , france & porugal , I remenbeer 2 of the girls names who went on this trip with me, Elizabeth Bonner & Lynn Boyd . I loved the whole experience so much i never had any problems with eating however my school friends were all sick & they had to line up for blue pills lol . I must try to get old pics out of the loft as i,m sure i have one . please email me if you were on this ship at this time .

Subject: Eastern Med mid 70's

Author:
Phil Cummings
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 18:44:04 07/04/12 Wed

Flew by Dan Air on a "Comet" so going back a fair way. Can't remember where we flew from or to. Visited Dubrovnik and would like to go back one day, Alexandria for Cairo and the pyramids and spinx at Giza (a let down and put me off Egypt forever), then Haifa for Jerusalam (would like to return), Cyprus to go to Konnosos (Not sure of spelling) it was a ruined city and very wet and cold, then ? Athens and home.
Was in early teens and first trip overseas. Many more since as emigrated to South Africa.
Remember the dorms as had lower bunk. Also for some strange reason I remember the rather odd orange juice we had, a bit like dish water. I also remember hands grabing our empty trays through a slot in the wall - never saw faces but presume they were human.
Can't remember many names but one friend I knew then sadly died in a road accident in the mid 1990's (Robert Smith) from Staffordshire.
Strange to find this site - just redecorated bathroom and was looking for black and white prints of liners on the web and saw one of SS Uganda. Now in my 50's and far exceeded any goals I had back then in my teens. Funny how life moves on. Even got as far as Australia recently.

Subject: SS Uganda cruise early summer 1977

Author:
Louise Potten(my maiden name,not current name)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 21:55:22 07/05/12 Thu

Have just scanned all the SS Uganda entries and couldn't spot the cruise I was on. I was at Guildford County School for Girls and we travelled I think May or June 1977 from Naples, calling at Athens, Istanbul, Mykonos and Rome. Hopefully I have go the year right - i may have been 1978. Having recently met up with my best friend at school who also went on the cruise and I hadn't seen for years, it has brought back lots of memories. As my own 12 year old daughter is now getting details of exotic trips to LA, USA and South Africa it makes me realise what precious memories and opportunities school trips like these create. Hope some one out there remembers the same cruise. The best bit was the dolphins leading the ship through the Dardenelles as we sunbathed on deck. Happy memories despite the stuffy dorms and poor food!

Subject: ss uganda

Author:
michele carter
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 00:39:57 07/12/12 Thu

what great times I was on her twice in 1980 and 1981 I think both where Mediterranean cruises sailing from Southampton I was at Rainham secondary school for girls on both occasions. The memories of the places that we visited are with me as if they were yesterday. But I will never forget that smell of the horrible food and the cock crouch sitting in the shower. We did have some laughs in the dorms of a night time though and I remember sharing one year with some girls from bristol and dressing up in bin liners for the fancy dress party as witches.

Subject: Blaster Bates

Author:
Bev Rogers
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 19:11:30 03/28/11 Mon

Hi
Does anyone remember Michael Blaskewitch (Blaster)...an engineer in the 80s?

Replies:
Subject: Christmas 1981 (I think!)

Author:
Tony Pullon
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 13:27:05 09/02/09 Wed

I was 16 and had left St Helena School Colchester to begin my working life, so was probably one of the few working people on the school cruise other than staff.

We were supposed to join the SS Uganda in Split (Yugoslavia) but due to bad weather in the previous cruise schedule we actually met the vessel in Piraeus Greece. I remember clearly being pushed along by Athens Airport police by the tips of their automatic refiles. Welcome to Greece I thought.

From Athens we went (though not necessarily in this precise order) Antalya (Turkey), Kos (Greek Island), Izmir, Haifa (Isreal) and Malta, then home.

Most was enjoyable but not as memorable as Haifa and Malta. Why? Because in Haifa we docked alongside a US war ship. The crew threw over live amunition as soveniers which just happened to have posphorous within them. A number of kids from my school gave them up readily enough to the ships company but one lad (Nigel parkes I think) didn't so consequently got strip searched by the ship's security.

Bethlehem on Christmas day was a shock and reaffirmed my non-believer status. But was glad to see the "Holy Land". Two days of frantic sight seeing I shall never forget.

Malta was interesting too. There was a transport strike on the week we arrived so a large number of ancient buses from circa 1940/1950 had to be used. Our bus could barely make it up gentle slopes, but it added to the adventure. Oh, and the fact that the seas were too rough for us to come in to dock so the entire passenger list had to disembark by tender. Glorious.

I would love to see a new generation of schools cruise available to kids today. 2 weeks away from mum and dad exploring far flung places. Character building and magical, even in the winter!

Replies:
Subject: S.S.Uganda Cruise 259

Author:
Rob Rutsch
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 00:08:57 02/17/03 Mon

I was fortunate to have sailed on this ship I believe it was 1971 travelling by caledonian to Pisa by air and then boarding the Uganda at Leghorn.Quite a few students were sick whilst still tied up to the Dock.We went to Pireous (Athens) Rhodes,Beirut,Haifa,Then back to Venice where we were fogbound for 24 hrs.Which of course meant another "last night party"!!!!.I have fond memories of the Ship it was the trip of a lifetime if any one remembers that cruise drop me a reply Gloucestershire and Dorset were on that Cruise

Replies:
Subject: Lapel Badge , Falklands War anniversary.

Author:
Ashley (Runt) Forum Admin.
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 21:31:02 03/19/12 Mon

Hi all, as I`m sure your aware this year is the 30th Anniversary of the Falklands War.
As the SS Uganda Played a roll in that war, is there is any ex-service personnel who served or sailed on Uganda who would like an enamelled SS Uganda lapel badge.
If you would like one (one available at moment kindly donated by Eric Black MBE), then drop me an email telling me of your connection to SS Uganda and a free badge could be on it`s way to you.

Yours,
Ashley (Runt)
Forum Admin

Replies:
Subject: Educational Cruise, 1968

Author:
Mark Fisher
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 18:20:00 07/23/12 Mon

Went on the SS-Uganda when I was 10 years old, on a school trip from Costan Junior Boys, Greenford, London. Went to Amerstdam, Copenhagen and a town in Norway I can't remember. 1st time away from home without my parents, loved every minute of it.

Years later, a class-mate of mine in Wycombe Royal Grammer School turned out to be on the same cruise as me. Beachy was his name (his surname, we did not use first names in the RGS)

Subject: SS UGANDA SCHOOL CRUISE YEAR 1971

Author:
CATHERINE
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 13:03:31 01/22/12 Sun

We took the overnight train from SW Scotland and then flew from Gatwick to Venice for the SS Uganda school cruise. Happy memories, visited Venice, Florence, Piza, Sicily, Crete- Heraklion, Knossos, Greece-Athens, Turkey-Istanbul. I remember my school friends being sea sick and I queued to get dry biscuits for them.

Replies:
Subject: looking for an old friend

Author:
David Brady
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 17:08:07 02/11/08 Mon

is there any way i can get the names or the schools that took part in a cruise in may 1981 .starting in Malta and ending in Athens.?

Replies:
Subject: January 1977

Author:
Julie Kearsley (nee Feltham) (happy and sad)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 23:08:42 06/10/11 Fri

I flew from Gatwick to Malta to embark the SS Uganda in the warm sunshine (we all had our winter coats on from England!). I'll never forget cranking my neck up to see the ship - it seemed so high. I went with some friends from Nailsea School in Somerset. I remember the smell of the galley (which really made you wretch whether you were feeling seasick or not). We stopped at Alexandria, where saw lots of little children asking for "shillings". I'd never seen beggars before and it was quite shocking. One of my classmates almost got kidnapped by an Egyptian whilst she was on a camel. We also visited The Parthanon, which was awe inspiring and never to be forgotten. Turkey, where we tasted donner kebabs long before they came to England. At our last night disco, we ended up running from one side of the deck to the other as the ship was rolling so much. It was a wonderful 2 weeks - never ever to be forgotten and it's amazing how often it crops up in conversation throughout the years. I still have the letter my parents wrote me whilst I was there and the SS Uganda metal badge. Many many years later when visited Falmouth, I was in a pub and they had memorabilia everywhere as the Uganda had been moored up in the River Fal ready to be scrapped. It was amazing to see the photos and other artefacts they had and it brought a tear to my eye. I love this site and look forward to hearing about the 60th Anniversary, which could possibly be in Southampton in 2012.

Replies:
Subject: JAN 1977 SS UGANDA MALTA/MED

Author:
NEIL SUMMERELL
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 14:37:41 08/18/10 Wed

I cant seem to find anyone who attended this cruise, did i dream it?
We all flew to Malta and met the SS Uganda there. We then went on to Egypt, Turkey, Rhodes Athens and back to Malta and flew back.

the voyage from Malta to Port Alexandra was paricularly rough, likened to the Bay of Bisacy by the captain.

IS THERE ANYBODY OUT THERE????

Replies:
Subject: Uganda my former home.

Author:
John C. Robertson (Happy memories)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 04:09:29 07/31/07 Tue

As 3rd Engineer Officer, I sailed on Uganda for almost two years (1956 - 1958) when she was running between London and Beira in Mozambique. I am a little surprised that all of your correspondents appear to be school cruise passengers with the exception of one Electrical Officer. Does this site have any affiliation with the BIship website? I have many memories of this happy ship and was saddened to hear that she finally ended her days on her side ashore in China. I'm sure that there are quite a few of us left that could add their experiences to this site. Anyway, nice to have discovered you.

Sincerely,
John C. Robertson, ex-3rd Engineer Officer

Replies:
Subject: edit

Author:
Neil Lindsay
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 11:59:28 05/01/11 Sun

sorry for the typing errors tried to edit but was denied

ps anybody still got the uganda metal badge in the shape of the ships wheel with ss uganda on it

Replies:
Subject: 1968 Cruise sailed from Swansea

Author:
Adrian Summerfield
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 18:29:57 11/07/12 Wed

I was just 13 when the SS Uganda departed from Swansea with other kids from my School (Bishop Gore) and others in Swansea.

I remember Vigo, Lisbon, Gibralter, Ceuta and probably other stops that I can't remember - I'd love to hear from anyone else on this same cruise to jog my brain cells about this cruise.

I remember sharing a dorm with some Japanese school kids - Hiroaki Nakumaru became a penpal, and a young girl from his school Tsumi Nomoto (spelling may not be correct) I'd love to hear from them as well!

Subject: You Tube Film

Author:
Geoff Sheppard
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 21:44:17 11/20/12 Tue

Interesting bit of cine film here from 1977

Subject: 1976 December

Author:
Karen Young (nee Hedges)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12:06:53 11/24/12 Sat

I was just browsing the web for a picture of Uganda to put with my just typed copy of my 1976 diary and came across this site! Wonderful, wonderful memories of an unforgetable experience.

Subject: Eastern Med October 1974

Author:
Mostyn Davies
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 19:47:34 02/21/11 Mon

Just come across this site. I was on the Uganda on October/November 1974. 900 Welsh children flew from the newly opened terminal at Rhoose which is now called Cardiff Wales Airport. We flew to Dubrovnic Yugoslavia sailed on to Athens and on to Izmir in Turkey then to Beirut the Greek island Santorini and finally flying home to Wales from Malta. What memories I have as a very young 12 year old who had not been away without his parents before going to such places as Beirut etc,

Replies:
Subject: NYOW on the UGANDA

Author:
Kathryn Webber
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 19:43:06 04/28/12 Sat

In August 1973 the National Youth Orchestra of Wales joined the Uganda for a cruise to Oslo, Hamburg, Antwerp, Brussels and Le Havre (for Paris). Concerts were given at every port. In spite of the logistical difficulties of rehearsing on board ship and getting the orchestra and their instruments on and off the ship the trip was a great success. The ship's company were most supportive of the venture and were rewarded with a concert in a church at Montipellier on the last night of the cruise. The programme included Sibelius Second Symphony and the soloist in Marcello's Oboe Concerto was a youthful John Anderson, currently principal oboe with ECO. The conductor was Arthur Davison and the trip was led by B.J.Griffiths of the WJEC. I was a young member of House Staff accompanying the orchestra.

Replies:
Subject: research

Author:
maurice cowan (excited)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 08:01:15 12/11/12 Tue

A continuation of my first post above.
just been throo my old "tiny and fading" snaps and have concluded that my photo of Clare was taken in Dam square, which would make it '74 on the nevasa. The building in the background is now the ABN AMRO bank. It has had a slight face lift .....I just love google earth street view....need to work out how to upload the photo now lol
BTW our school was ASHFIELD boys school.

Subject: ss uganda and nevasa

Author:
maurice cowan (happy times)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 23:42:51 12/10/12 Mon

.I sailed on ss uganda in august '73 and again in '75. In 1974 I sailed on ss nevasa. After all these years I still have quite vivid dreams of these trips, on board the ships, tho I think both ships have "become one" over the years.
I was with the Asfield Boys Sec. school crew from Belfast and our '73 trip took in Oslo, Hamburg, Brussels, Antwerp and LeHarve-for Paris.
We had to get a boat from Belfast to liverpool then I think mini buses to Tilbury. We headed to Oslo and on checking my old photos, I realise most are of scenery from the boat, a couple of the largest ski-slope in the world..at that time anyway....I relly wish I had taken many more snaps of the place were all the fun was, for me anyway..on board the uganda..maybe I didnt have a flash.
I think we were in Magellon Dorm. tho it could have been Amunsden...or even Marco Polo, it's been a few years afertall... I got the first bunk on the right just throo the door. I remember the uganda had a partion between each bunk but the nevasa didn't
Us lot from Belfast were quite a rowdy lot, we got into quite a few scraps in our time on board. Tho we were rowdy, we were the nicest guys you could meet, always up for a laugh and a bit of craic. In fact I believe we won the best kept dorm on all 3 occasions, so we couldnt have been too bad.
In my dreams I recall at least one wide wooden straircase, possibly down to the school office, as well as the narrower passage ways and stairways deeper down in the ships. I relly do wish I had taken more internal photos.
Most of the action took place up in the common room, with the duke box playing-Hey...we're going to Barbados(not sure if that was the title of the tune?)and "The Joker" with the line.. "some people call me MAURICE"...I took a bit of stick with that one, and of course the tuck shop and the table tennis table in the corner on the left sorry port side.
I remember hooking up with a Canadian girl called Claire from Newfoundland I think she was from St, Johns. I have a photo of her. She was tall, slim, long straight dark hair and very pretty. My memory tells me it was taken in Amsterdam, but it could have when I was on the Nevasa and not the Uganda. So if your out ther Clare...and have managed to find this site, get in touch..that goes for anybody out there who travelled on the ships in August '73(uganda)..August ''74 (nevasa)...and again august '75 (uganda)....I think this trip only had Irish schools cos it left from belfast.
My heart saddened when I read the final demise of these wonderful ships..esp. uganda as I had sailed on her twice and I was able to find were I had scratched my name on a wooden bench on the first trip and was able to add to it second time round...oops
I would like to say a big thank you to Ashley who has set up this site..It really has brought a lot of magical memories back to me......and I wish i could do it all again, even when standing in a shop at port...and swearing the shop was moving..such laughs.

Replies:
Subject: Anyone remember cruise No. 092 november 1980

Author:
David Holmes (Mortimer Wilson)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 03:00:56 04/18/12 Wed

I was on the Uganda in november 1980.we flew laker one way and danair the other, got on the ship at Naples and of at Split can remember calling at Rhodes Egypt and Yugoslavia ,i remember the cruise No.was 092 and from reading on here found that we must have got off the ship on 17th Nov 1980,if anyone can remember it are where else we called would be good to hear from you David Holmes

Replies:
Subject: Educational trip 1968 Somerville Jnr School Birmingham

Author:
Jody Johnson (Somerville Jnr School Birmingham)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 17:52:19 01/12/13 Sat

Hello, this was my first Criuse and holiday abroad. Sailed from Tilbury docks to Amsterdam, Copenhagen, Oslo for 11 days then docked at Liverpool. Great memories of this educational holiday. Very cold weather. Would love to hear from anyone else who went on this Cruise that year. Also any teachers who went with us! x

Subject: October 1968

Author:
Steve Lacko
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 20:50:08 02/02/13 Sat

Hi
Would love to hear from anyone who remembers the cruise that sailed from Liverpool in October 1968.The SS Uganda sailed first to La Corruna northern Spain, Tangiers, Gibraltar and final Lisbon, the cruise was for pupils from the N/west of the country.
The cruise was absolutely amazing as we had so much freedom when in port, just great times really,still in touch with three or four school friends who where also on the cruise.
Regards
Steve

Subject: Naples to Split Feb - Mar 1980

Author:
Lesley (Happy Memories)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 10:09:21 11/24/09 Tue

Hello I went on SS Uganda as part of The Kent Educational Cruise Feb - Mar 1980. Naples to Split. We were an all Girls School and were in the Van Dieman Dormitory. I had my 16th Birthday in Turkey. I loved it despite the bad weather, thunder storms and the tuck shop not selling crisps! We didn't get to Bethlehem because it snowed.

Replies:
Subject: re Naples to Split Feb-Mar 1980

Author:
derek hartfield (happy memories)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 22:31:12 03/04/13 Mon

i was aboard cruise ship 073 ( if my memory serves me right) with Tunbridge wells technical high school for boys. What a great holiday, it was the first time that i had flown. Remember all the things mentioned above; ie snow in bethlehem and how cold it was in israel. the sea of galilee was very rough! leap year day always makes me think of cairo and the pyramids. Pompei caught my imagination as i was late back and got a severe bollocking. the life aboard ship was great, the camaradarie between schools, the tuck shop, table tennis, and meal times. most of the staff were from calcutta! we used to call them something that you wouldnt be allowed to say nowadays! I remember having a football match with some local lads in antalya while we were waiting to get back to port. Rhodes and athens were fantastic; ive had several hols since in Rhodes. not so good memories of Split, i thought the people were miserable and we were chased out of a public toilet by a women with a broom (nora batty) because we had no currency and you had to pay! remember the name of Tito in large letters on a hill in the background- may be thats why they were all miserable! the take off home was a bit scary, the airport was surrounded by mountains. Wish i could do it again; do they have reunion cruises? lol

Subject: germany russia sweden denmark

Author:
mary
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12:37:01 01/13/13 Sun

i went on a cruise to germany sweden russia and denmark we were an irish girls school there were english and american schools with whom we had great fun does anyone remember this i think it was 1968 /69

Replies:
Subject: anyone out there

Author:
jayne huxter
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 01:12:30 03/12/12 Mon

hi i was wondering if anyone out there remembers the 1980 cruise from barry south wales ,we sailed to greece,egypt,we went to splitand cnt remember the rest lol but oh boy wat a grt time we all had,if anyone remembers plz send a post thks

Replies:
Subject: 1968 October Cruise Set Sail from Liverpool

Author:
Steve L
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 21:35:00 01/16/11 Sun

Hi to All
Looking to share memories from the 1968 October school cruise which set sail from Liverpool with pupils from Chester,Liverpool,Wirral,Ellesmere Port and Warrington Widnes areas.
Cruise docked at La Corruna,Gibraltar,Tangiers and finally Lisbon, for around forty odd pounds,really had a brilliant time,still in touch with about four old school mates who where on the cruise

Replies:
Subject: October 1977

Author:
Richard Dix
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 11:28:47 10/17/11 Mon

Oh what memories. I was on the above cruise which flew from Gatwick to Naples on 14/15 October 1977, with Portchester School, Bournemouth. We visited Pompeii, Alexandria, Haifa, Rhodes. Bodrum and Naples. It cost £156 and my Father hit the roof as they added a late surcharge of £9!!!! I remember all the crew being referred to as "hello Charlie", to which they replied the same! The common room jukebox with Quo's Rocking all over the world being played to death, it brings back memories of the UG-Tug every time I hear it played at parties, weddings etc. Also, Showaddywaddy and "under the moon of love", how dreadful. Being allowed loose for the morning in Rhodes town and ordering something from a menu that was written in greek, it turned up, none of us knew what it was but I ate it anyway, as I was starving. The waiter asked if I had enjoyed it, and did I know what it was, I replied no to both questions and was then informed it was Octopus!! Never touched it since strangely enough. I still get shivers up my back when I think of the sound of that metal cutlery attempting to cut something inedible on those metal trays! Remember the blood oranges? A rumour flew round that the chef (I use that term loosely!)had cut his hand and that was why they were red! Fresca and panda pops in the common room, no wonder we were uncontrollable with all those e-numbers inside us! As we approached Alexandria harbour, an announcement went out on the tannoy, ordering us not to take photos of the Egyptian warships in the harbour, as we were off to Israel the following day, so guess what, 1000 schoolkids used up every film they had taking pics! I remember we went to the pyramids, I paid 10p to go on a camel ride, nobody warned me it got up arse first! Its owner refused to let me off until I paid him £1, cue loud shouting and screaming for our teacher! I remember very fondly a girl called Sue Macdonald from Shaftesbury, fancied her like mad but was too shy!! Ah, young love at 13!! We wrote for a while after getting back, where are you Sue!! So many more memories come flooding back as I write, but I have wittered on for long enough, so I will finish with my last memory of waking up in Stanley Dorm on the last day to the sound of Peter, Paul and Mary, singing "leaving on a jet plane" booming out of the tannoy, not a dry eye in the house although 20 boys swore blind it was because they had something in their eye!! Would love to hear from anyone on the same cruise, still the best holiday I ever had!!

Replies:
Subject: Norway, Iceland July and Dubrovnik - Haifa - Malta etc late Dec 74 - about 5.1.75.

Author:
Jon (Ex Cruiser!)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 01:08:10 04/11/13 Thu

Hello - great memories! I was on both the above, in both cases with the only Irish (Belfast based) groups which were from Bangor / Belfast / Lisburn.

First one I remember meeting some Scottish people and as far as I recall someone from Newfoundland. We called at Iceland, then to Narvik and Andalsnes. A stop at North Cape had to be omitted because of ice. That was my first cruise, and i think my first time on any sort of boat / ship. I was just turned 15 - in fact, I think I had my birthday on the boat. Next time was when I was 17, flying with Dan Air to Dubrovnik. Then we went (as far as I recall) to Santorini, Antalya (Turkey), Haifa (Israel), Malta over the new year - I think we were there on 3rd or 5th january, bright sunny and freezing! We ended up in Naples, I think, after passing Stromboli at night, which was oozing dull red lava and sparks. Great trip!

Replies:
Subject: Canadian group - Med / Black sea cruise 1979 april?

Author:
Norm Spencer
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 00:14:30 05/09/12 Wed

Hi fellow Uganda students, My name is Norm Spencer and I was part of a Canadian group that was on the Uganda in the spring of '79. We flew out of Gatwick on a Dan Air comet to Athens/ Piraeus. We boarded the Uganda in Piraeus then traveled up through the bosphorous to istanbull, trabzon, varna and Constanta. I don't exactly remember the cruise # but would love to hear from anyone that went on the same cruise. I remember meeting girls from South Glamorgan Wales. one girl was named Katherin Hiller another Sarah ? I've never forgot how great that trip and everyone was. Even if you didn't travel on that cruise but knew someone who might have, please pass this on. I'm still in contact with half of the Canadian group. Also, if any of the crew of the Uganda read this... Thankyou!!! for a safe and wonderfull cruise.

Replies:
Subject: LOOKING FOR SOMEONE...

Author:
Paul
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 23:56:16 05/09/13 Thu

Hello all.
I have recenty aquired a 'KODAK INSTAMATIC' camera, which has its own case. within the case is the name 'JAYNE QUINN' and 'SS UGANDA'...
I have looked it up and this camera model was only in production between 1971 & 1977.
I was wondering if anyone can help me find this person so I may be able to reunite camera and owner...
I know its a long shot, but I think it would be nice and might bring back some long forgotten memories.
thanks....

Subject: School Cruise 1970/1

Author:
Neil Taylor (happy)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 22:27:02 01/17/12 Tue

Can anyone help please.
A friend of mine went on a Hampshire School cruise on the Uganda either in 1970 or 1971. He told me the itinerary The ship sailed from Southampton and went to Gibraltar, Crete, Santorini, Athens, another stop in the Adriatic then Venice, where he flew back to Gatwick.
Many Thanks,
Neil

Replies:
Subject: morrocco lisbon gibralter early eighties

Author:
ally
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 00:14:44 05/15/06 Mon

hi i was on the uganda early eighties with kilbowie primary school we went to morrocco gibralter lisbon and another portuguese port (forget now )remember playing table tennis and listening to the jukebox and the cinema don't remember much more anyone else on this trip and mabye fill in some blanks cheers
ally

Replies:
Subject: 1974 revolution in Lisbon

Author:
Jayne Fox
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 18:53:48 12/06/10 Mon

I was on the SS Uganda school cruise in April 1974, we flew from Gatwick to Malta, then on to Gibralter, Tangier and our next stop was to be Lisbon in Portugal, But just has we were nearing the harbour, the ship was turned away. We were all called to a assembly with our various teacher's who explained that there was a revolution going on and it was not safe to dock (not terribly intresting to a fourteen year old ) But when I think back now, to how close we came to landing!!!, we then went on to Corunna, where one of the lads from our school got lost and the ship almost sailed without him, and without the poor teacher who was looking frantically for him, thankfully at the last minute, the teacher came running down the dock (dragging the lad by the scruff of his neck, which was allowed and expected, in those days ) Then we stopped at Santander before coming back to Southampton. I travelled with Moorthorpe Middle school from West Yorkshire a mixed group of boys and girls, I can't remember what dorm the boys where in but our dorm was called piccard and we shared it with some girls from Scotland. During the cruise we made friends with some people from a school in London Mike Whalsh ? or Welsh, Jane? and another lad with black hair who lost the tip of his finger when he got it trapped in one of the dorm doors. I can also remember half the ship being sick when we went round the bay of Biscay and the ship was being thrown all over, needless to say the ones of us not sick retired to the huge common room to eat crisps and watch the giant waves through the big windows. Sadly I've only got a few photo's of the cruise but I've got tons of brilliant memories.

Replies:
Subject: Re: 1982 The last full cruise before the falklands

Author:
Chris Burton
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 23:17:22 07/08/13 Mon

I was on that same cruise. I was fifteen at that time and was with the group from Sir Adam Beck Collegiate in London Ontario Canada.
My life also changed during those two weeks. I first thought I had stepped into a chamber of horrors when we left the muster drill in the common room and stepped onto a floor completely covered in vomit! Who knew the sea-sickness paper bag would become the must-have fashion accessory for its student passengers.
Once the seas and stomachs settled, it was the best two weeks of my life. After reading some of these posts, I came to the conclusion that our group were the ONLY ones who LIKED the food! The galley was proof of the saying, "It may not be good, but there's plenty of it!"
I became a life-long fan of ska and 80's Britpop. I had a crush on a girl from Derbyshire who looked like the brunette backup singer from The Human League. Buying beer on our shore excursions was as easy as buying pop back home. I watched with a mix of excitement, pride and anxiety the television coverage of the Royal Navy task force sailing out of Portsmouth harbour to the Falklands.
Gary, what dorm were you in? Were you down under the waterline like our group was? Was that Australian ship Staff Officer (that our group despised) the famous "Actionman"?

Cheers!
Chris

Subject: Re: Uganda Staff-ron furlong

Author:
MICHELLE SMITH (was welburn) (very happy)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 22:44:47 01/26/12 Thu

marion browning , is ron furlong still living in humberside, that was my area when growing up well north yorkshire, i would love to know if he is well and ok, and would love to trace him, please help if you can

thankyou

Replies:
Subject: Cruising the Med on SS Uganda 1970

Author:
Denise Franklin (age 15 in 1970)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 22:27:40 04/10/10 Sat

Aug 1970 with 20 girls and two very liberal teachers from Kings Norton Girls Grammar School in Birmingham.We didnt wear uniform and were allowed off the ship on our own.
From Southhampton to Ceuta (The Blue Men and their snakes terrified me) Tarragona (The amphitheatre was magnificent) Ibiza (Instantly fell in love with a local boy who followed me around, gave me a flower,bought me a Cinzano) Malaga (the Granada trip was so memorable and then Gibraltar before back to Southhampon. I had the time of my life!! Nearly 40 years on and I still have the photos, scrapbook and the memories!!!

Replies:
Subject: MED CRUISE

Author:
MANDY RAYNER (RIX)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12:30:03 04/16/10 Fri

THE SS UGANDA WAS MY HOME BACK IN THE EARLY 70'S I DID AN EDUCATIONAL TOUR OF CASSABLANCA, PORTUGAL, LIBON ETC THE BAY OF BISCAY WAS SO ROUGH THAT MANY OF US ENDED UP WITH OUR HEADS DOWN THE TOILET FOR SEVERAL DAYS TILL WE ALL GOT OUR SEA LEGS THEN THE SEWAGE SYSTEM BACKED UP & WE GIRLS HAD TO USE THE BOYS DORMS FOR TOILETS & SHOWERS BUT I ALSO HAVE GREAT MEMORIES OF DOLPHINS CHASING THE SHIP & THE GOOD FRIENDS I MADE. THANK YOU SS UGANDA.

Replies:
Subject: Information please

Author:
Karen Greaves
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 10:36:14 08/02/13 Fri

I HAVE PURCHASED TWO OLD TRUNKS IN A SALE. oNE BEARS THE NAME D M TAYLOR SS UGANDA. tHE TRUNK ALSO HAS SEVERAL STICKERS FOR WANT OF A BETTER WORD. ONE OF THEM IS THE BRITISH STEAM NAVIGATION CO LTD.
I WOULD BE GRATEFUL FOR ANY INFO AS TO THE DATE OF THESE TRUNKS, INFO RE OWNER ETC
THANK YOU, PLEASE E-MAIL DIRECT
KAREN GREAVES

Subject: 1981 SS Uganda

Author:
David Watson
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 18:14:10 08/02/13 Fri

Cant remember exact date from Greece to Southampton and Scotland won at Wembley 1 nil Our group were from Barrhead High School

Subject: MED. CRUISE WITH LIVERPOOL GIRLS

Author:
MARCELLE IRVING
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 06:57:51 12/15/08 Mon

I found this site by accident and am so glad that I did (hope it's still going?). I sailed on the Uganda in either 76/77, can't remember now! I went to a girls school in Liverpool (Queen Mary High School), and I think we sailed from Liverpool. Ww were a small school and only a small group as most parents couldn't afford such a trip; we were the lucky ones. I remember being the only kid who wanted to go on the Baltic cruise but was out voted. We visited Madeira, Lisbon, Casablanca and Vigo and maybe more places but I can't remember. I do remember the trip to the sardine canning plant in Lisbon, put me off them for years, lol. I also remember the awful dormitories and everyone being sick all over the place and the awful canteen and worse food. We used to try and sneak out of the dorms at night but it was a ricky business, lol. There was a lovely crew member with a white beard, a big man, so gentle and kind. I also remember us getting dressed up in fancy dress and parading in front of the guests, we all went as snow white an the seven dwarfs (the dwarfs all on their knees with their shoes taped to the front of them like little feet!!), we didn't win but we got a lot of laughs from the guests. We used to play songs on the duke box all the time and I remember ELO had a huge hit at the time called 'It's a living thing' or something like that. There must have been loads of kids but I only remember a school from London, the boys and girls were great and I had a bit of a crush on a boy called Dave; didn't we all have crushes? I kept my badge for years and my muster station badge too but lost them eventually. It was one of the best experiences of my life, I was one lucky girl. I'd love to hear from anyone who remembers that particular cruise.

Replies:
Subject: trooping excrew 83-84

Author:
wurzel and psycho u gang
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 23:17:05 06/01/10 Tue

looking for rocky and paul who served on the uganda in 84 with me. im in touch with psycho (steve bradford). also lennie get in touch i have photos of you.anyone who was in the catering department get in touch. anyone remember the squddie and the sh*t sandwich? if you read this lennie. remember pissy pete? heh heh water sports on the top bunk!hope to here fronm anyone who was lucky enough to have the time of our lives on the uganja. tony (wurzel).

Replies:
Subject: Uganda - early 70's?

Author:
linda (nostalgic)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 00:52:29 03/19/10 Fri

Does anyone remember cruising on the Uganda, leaving from Greenock for La Rochelle, Madeira, Vigo and Lisbon? Early 70's I think? dont remember a great deal on board, (very seasick)but enjoyed time ashore. also remember I lost lots of weight that trip as when better, found the food terrible! The buttered rolls were all I could eat, but they were nice! Remember John Campbell from Polmont I think,we kept in touch for quite a while. Would be good to hear from any of you.

Linda

Replies:
Subject: Re: Med Cruise December 1972 - SS Uganda

Author:
Adrian Whitaker (Sad to hear the ship is no more)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 02:54:10 08/16/13 Fri

Was on the SS Uganda, for two weeks, along with my sister Gillian (Jill) and fellow students from Loxford High Ilford Essex, from early December 1972 - sailing from Venice, to Pilos (Greece) Heraklion (Crete) Famagusta (Cyprus) Alexandria (for Cairo) Egypt. Remember meeting up with numerous students from Newfoundland and in particular, Max and Karen Simms, from Grand Falls. Had a great time. Flight back home, delayed by a day due to fog. We eventually had to fly back to Bournemouth, as fog persisted at Gatwick. - Ade

Subject: 1968: Deck quoits in a gale, hypnotism experiments and a first beer in Valetta

Author:
David Milne
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 17:50:28 08/18/13 Sun

I am impressed with everyone's memory for detail which makes my recall of the SS Uganda experience pale in comparison. Nonetheless I am pretty sure that it was Easter 1968 when a group of 28 girls and boys from Churston Ferrers Grammar School in South Devon boarded the 'Ug Tug' in Plymouth for our first maritime foray to the Med. Most of us were around 14 years old and bursting with hormones. I am forever grateful to my folks for stumping up the majority of the £56 it cost for our jaunt on the high seas which included stops at Gibraltar, Malta, Rhodes, Piraeus and Venice where we flew back home on 'Dangerous Dan Air'. Happy to be corrected re the itinerary and any other skewed perceptions that follow. My contribution to the trip would be considered to be loose change today but was earned working at the weekend on Brixham trawlers and as a farm hand. 2s/6d was the going hourly rate.

The Uganda cruise was definitely educational in all senses of the word. I suppose that being a teacher and head myself I ought to say that I remember the lessons on board, and the sights of St Marks Square, the North African coast and other cultural highlights. But I don't that much. It's the fun that we had that has stayed uppermost in my mind. My seafaring friend Mark ( Daisy) Day and I played deck quoits across the Bay of Biscay in a Force 6 gale working up a healthy appetite to consume at least three of our friends breakfasts who were in various stages of going pale green. I can safely say that I have never been so unpopular in my life.

Creativity below decks was a popular non-scheduled cruising activity. We were far from the only dorm up to high jinx. For some reason I'd read a book on how to hypnotise someone; trying this on my new found cruising companions seemed like a great idea at the time. To my amazement I seemed to have the knack and a queue of volunteers formed on successive nights who wanted to be taken back to their past lives. Teenage Chinese Whispers took hold, the Uganda crew found out and hypotonic nights were knocked on the head.

I've had many a beer in far flung corners of the world but fondly remember the first beer that I ever bought from a small bar in Valetta, enjoying the sight of Malta's Grand Harbour in the spring sunshine. Daisy and I felt ridiculously pleased with ourselves that we'd managed to pass the bartenders test that we were over 18 - not that I think he really cared. Heady days indeed in 1968 with 'White Room' 'All along the Watchtower' 'Hey Jude' and 'Waterloo Sunset' being played by the on board DJ. Mesmerising wave watching coincided with thinking about which record was ideal for asking for the last dance with that lovely blonde haired chick in the pink dress? I've always wondered whether Private Eye's adoption of the term ' Ugandan Discussions' (for non readers of this wonderful satirical mag this means sexual shenanigans) was created on the decks of this fantastically enriching educational cruise.

Subject: Uganda '74 Aarhus ,Leningrad ,Helsinki ,Copenhagen And '76 Madeira ,Casablanca ,portimao ,Lisbon

Author:
Roy Thorburn
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 22:43:28 08/22/13 Thu

I was very very lucky to get to go two cruises . Had to do a paper round to pay for them though . What magical times they were. What a shame kids don't get the chance to experience these amazing trips now .
I fell in love with Vivienne Hood from Northern Ireland on the second cruise ! Love to hear from her if anyone knows her .
Ron Furlong what a hero , hope he's alive and well.

Subject: SOA - School Office Assistant

Author:
Gordon Johnston
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 05:03:36 11/14/02 Thu

Hello all...My wife has a life-long dream of visiting Venice, and it looks like this may be the year. As a result, I have been looking at cruise lines on the web and came across P&O today, which reminded me of my cruises of a lifetime, and prompted me to do a search on SS Uganda. That's what brought me to this wonderful site!

It was 30 years ago this year that I had the privilege of "working" on the Uganda as a School Office Assistant. The "job" wasn't a paying one, but my travel and passage were complimentary; it was a unique situation where I could have the fun of the students side (selling stamps and padlocks, DJ-ing the student dances), and the luxury of cabin and meals, the same as the cabin passengers.

In actual fact, I did two cruises, back-to-back: #273, The Holy Land Cruise, and #275, The Easter Holiday Cruise, with destinations including Venice, Piraeus (Athens), Malta, Tangiers, Corfu, Famagusta, and Haifa (Jerusalem).

This evening I dug out the now yellowed envelope that holds such things as an invitation to the Captain's table for dinner, a couple of dinner menus, my ship's log and a copy of the "Good Morning" Uganda news (which I diligently typed up and ran off on the Gestetner each morning around 5 a.m.

I have such fond memories of the students I met in March,1972, most of whom were from U.K. and Ontario, Canada.
These two cruises were to train me for another adventure: a 1973 cruise through Scandanavian Europe, on the Nevasa..but that's another story.

Thank you for a wonderful reason to look back in time. Perhaps I am now motivated to scan some of my slides and post them on the web.

Cheers,

Gordon

Replies:
Subject: war declared-last full cruise before requisition for the Falklands

Author:
Helen D
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 21:06:54 06/13/13 Thu

"Britain at War" were the headlines that met us in Athens,which caused a bit of disquiet amongst my school party, but we were able to continue ok on to Venice and complete our itinery- it was the next cruise that got stopped half way through. Our itinery was...
Fly to Valetta, MALTA ( I remember being amazed that there was a Marks and Spencer Store here!)
leave port into a Force 10 gale with the entire ship being ill ( I was with a group who stayed OK whilst we were allowed to stay out on deck, but once forced in by the crew because it was dangerous, the stench...well you can imagine!) our school party ( from Rugby) were in Van De Post dormitory- a dorm for 30 although there were 31 of us- poor old Fiona ended up on a camp bed in front of the sinks, which didn't swing as well as the chained beds/hammocks in those force 10 seas!
then on to ISTANBUL(in theory but we were docked too late because of the seas to go ashore) but went to EPHESUS the next day. Some problem with docking at SANTORINI meant we had to stay on the ship whilst looking out at the donkeys all lined up to take us up the volcano!, and there was also a problem in KOS meaning we didn't go there , but did go to KALYMNOS instead, then on to HAIFA(ISRAEL) for a day into JERUSALEM, then PIRAEUS/ATHENS ( and frightening newspaper headlines) and ending in VENICE.

one of my main memories is being bullied/teased by my schoolmates as I was only 13 whilst they ranged from 14-16, so the Jackie Collins novels( then considered quite risque!) being passed around were banned from me!
Another is the sunday afternoon - a free day, and very sunny, so 900 of us were lying packed in like sardines on the sundeck trying to sunbathe- you were.t allowed to stretch your legs out as there wasn't room , and moving was impossible!!

Replies:
Subject: Iain Douglas Thompson

Author:
Deanne T (hopeful)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 14:24:29 09/16/13 Mon

Would anyone happen to remember Iain Douglas Thompson?

Subject: December 1980

Author:
Sue
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 20:16:13 04/07/04 Wed

Anyone out there on this cruise? Our group was from Castlefield school, Dorchester,Dorset. All the others were from Darbyshire. We flew to Malta, and had very bad weather en route to Egypt so bad that we couldn`t dock.One night we were hit by a huge wave, and the dormitory was flooded.We made it to Israel, that bit went really well, then came a change in itinery due to the delays caused by bad weather.We went to Cyprus, and as we left the rudder broke so we spent a while in Limasol harbour while it was repaired but were unable to go ashore during this time. Time was running out so went to Athens to fly back rather that Split as was originally planned. Had two nice days out when docked in Athens, but it did rain for most of the time. We were supposed to have docked seven times, but only managed four.When we got home we found out that John Lennon had been shot.

Replies:
Subject: SS Uganda No. 777 Norway/Denmark May/June 1977

Author:
Keith Latchford
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 13:18:47 07/14/12 Sat

Me and my sister from Binley Park school in Coventry went on a school cruise on the SS Uganda in the silver jubilee year. We sailed from Liverpool up over the top of Scotland to Bergen, Norway, then to a Fjord (cannot remember name), then down to Stavanger, Norway, then two day trip to Copenhagen, Denmark, then up to Oslo, Norway, then sailed back to Sunderland. Great memories. I remember winning the frog race comp. and being given a silver trophy for my trouble, then having to be displayed in front of the whole school in assembly by the head master. I wasn't happy about that. Lost all photos from then and would be great if anyone has any photos and memories from this cruise that they would like to share.

Replies:
Subject: ss uganda 1981

Author:
dave paskin
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 10:41:07 06/08/09 Mon

i was on the ss uganda in august 1981, we sailed to oslo copenhagen amsterdam from southampton.
would love to hear from others who was on this cruise.

Replies:
Subject: Uganda Mediterranean and black sea

Author:
Kate Carter (Remember it like yesterday)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 19:21:21 10/18/13 Fri

I went with a group from king Edward vI school, bury st Edmunds. We flew from gatwick on a freddy laker sky train, when they still allowed smoking on planes !
We travelled to Malta, and picked up the ship at Valletta harbour, we travelled on to Volos in Greece, travelled through the Bosporus straits on to Istanbul, which was an amazing place , we travelled to bulgaria, and Romania stopping at sunny beach. On to turkey to a really amazing place where we were greeted by a group of dancers from a local school and they showed us around their town, visiting the mosque. We then went to Athens, and walked around the pantheon. Then we flew home.
The ship was amazing,a disco, a cinema, a canteen which was hardly luxurious. The metal bunks in the dorm, the lessons when we learnt about the next country we were going to visit, the swimming pool, the deck games, the dolphins swimming along side the ship. All great memories that I will never forget.

Subject: Film made aboard ship in 1969

Author:
Elaine Marshall
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 19:31:32 05/18/12 Fri

Can any one remember the title of film made on board the SS Uganda in 1969 on a cruise from Southampton to North Africa? I along with many other children were involved as extras in the making of the film.

Replies:
Subject: June 1972

Author:
Derek Griffin
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 22:25:22 08/03/04 Tue

Does anyone remember the cruise circa June 1972. Started Greenock and visited La Rochelle, Casablanca, Cadiz and Oporto.

My memories:
· Not giving a toss about our dormitory score;
· The boiled egg which seem to accompany every meal!!
· Lessons on board ship…what a waste of time!!
· Watching Kelly’s Heroes in the cinema;
· The plonker who jumped into the pool fully clothed!!
· The map showing our position;
· Smuggling a bottle of port on board at Oporto.
· Not feeling sorry for the poor blighters suffering from seasickness;
· The madness after lights out!!
· Irene Kelly
· My mate who got off with her!!

I was a pupil at St. Michael’s Academy, Kilwinning in Scotland. We teamed up with St. Andrew’s Academy, Saltcoats for the trip.

Best wishes,
Derek Griffin

Replies:
Subject: SS Uganda

Author:
Mark Rowley
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 23:41:45 11/24/13 Sun

Whilst in the army I was posted on the Uganda in 83 for 6 months as part of the ships crew.it was before Stanley airport in the Falklands was up and running so we use to take new relief down and bring the old lot back.best posting I ever had.:)

Subject: school trip

Author:
darren colbourne (any one remember it)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 15:58:43 08/14/12 Tue

hi i was on the baltic cruise,i think i was 12 and i think it was 79 ish we sailed from southampton,we called at trevemunday germany,finland,sweeden,copenhagen,ect,i went to the harwich school.i still have a few photos of the trip,i remember taking picks of some irish lads heads in the port holes while ashore,i remember the girls from london calling everyone saps,dont ask me why.table tennis was so funny in the storm we had.i all so remember spitting over the side of the ship to make it lighter ha ha and the message in the bottle.

Replies:
Subject: Baltic Cruise, 1968 ish

Author:
Simon Fisher (Time of my life)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 02:11:31 03/17/12 Sat

From Tilbury to Visby, Leningrad (with optional trip to Moscow via train), Copenhagen and Oslo, returning to Southampton after a stormy crossing.Memories of swedish girls in Visby and buying my mum a tea strainer. Had a talk from Valentina Tereshcova - the 1st female cosmonaut and her husband, can,t remember his name but he did the 1st space walk. Bottle of vodka on the train to Moscow, became a communist for a bit. Evening time in Tivoli gardens and some amazing bubble fountains, and the sail up Oslo fjord. Loved every minute, one of my golden memories. All came back when I saw the old girl laid up near King Harry ferry on the Fal, tinged with sadness to see the transport of my dreams rusting away. Bit like I am.

Replies:
Subject: Med Cruise December 80 or 81?

Author:
Mick Balmer
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 17:39:10 12/08/13 Sun

I was a member of the teaching staff with a party from Stoney Lee Middle School, Yorkshire. We flew from Gatwick to Malta and on the cruise visited Rhodes, Israel (Dead Sea, Jericho, Bethlehem, Jerusalem) Mykonos and finished up at Athens.
Fantastic experience.

Subject: My Cruise Christmas 1975

Author:
Larry Sceviour
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 08:32:47 12/18/13 Wed

I came across this board while watching a documentary on the Falkland Islands war. I went on line to see what British Ships were in the war, and saw the listing for the SS Uganda, which sparked my memory of my cruise during Christmas of 1975. Following the links I read about the Uganda and found this board. I am Canadian and went on the Educational tour with other students from various high schools in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada. At the time I was in Grade 11. and was 16 at the time. It was a cruise from Athens to Greek islands, Israel, more Greek Islands, Scilly and finally Naples. I have very fond memories of this Cruise. From the various deck games, like tug of war to the crew performing Rindacella which was Cinderalla backwards (i recall it was hilarious). I remember being in the ships movie theatre which was full prior to leaving Athens, and nearly empty at the end of the movie as the ship had sailed during the movie. Which was the first indicator that I indeed have a cast iron stomach, as the subsequent years of my life have confirmed. Of course it would not have been a cruise with out the on board romance, which promptly ended back in the real world. This Cruise is what has started my life long travel bug be it to interesting places with in a days drive from where I happen to be living to a 3 month world tour. Thank you for this wonderful board.

Subject: SS Uganda 1974?

Author:
shona
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 13:38:32 04/24/10 Sat

Just found this site. I sailed on the ss uganda i think it was in 1974. Sailed to Norway,Sweden and Denmark. Was fantastic. Would love to hear from anyone else who was on this cruise.

Replies:
Subject: Ss Uganda left sunderland in mid 70s

Author:
Clive graham
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 22:14:42 09/22/13 Sun

Was anyone aboard the Uganda when it left sunderland in mid 70s for an educational cruise. Called at Lisbon, Virgo, Granada, tangiers. Places not in Oder of visit

Replies:
Subject: Augistian Cruise

Author:
Mary o Sullivan (happy)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 22:27:54 11/07/10 Sun

Cruised on Uganda from Dublin in 1975 1978 1980, Wonderful memories of the people we met and the places we visited Sonny Suto band in the music room great holiday it gave us a great love for cruising

We watched with intrest when she went to the Falklands and later being scrappedn have lots of photos and nice memories, mary

Replies:
Subject: FIND RON FURLONG

Author:
MICHELLE SMITH (HAPPY)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 13:55:09 11/06/11 Sun

CAN ANYONE TELL ME WHERE RON FURLONG, HE WAS STAFF OFFICER ON THE SCHOOL CRUISES WHEN I WAS ON BOARD IN FEBRUARY 1981, HIS NICKNAME WAS ACTIONMAN. I WOULD BE VERY GRATEFUL FOR ANY INFORMATION ABOUT HIM.

Replies:
Subject: Venice sandbank - 78/79?

Author:
Steve Box (Not old enough to really appreciate it!)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 14:43:08 04/06/11 Wed

Eye, eye, Shipmates! Just read the story of the SS Uganda and it almost brought me to tears. It was so sad to see the photo of her on her side after the hurricane. What a great ship that had such a wondeful life.
I sailed on her either in 78 or 79. It's hard to remember the year. But we flew from Gatwick on a wonky old DC 10 to Venice. We had a day in Venice then excitedly set of down the Grand Canal only to run a-ground on a sandbank and after a long wait be tugged back into Venice for checks. So we stayed a second night. Next stop, Yugoslavia was cancelled but I remember stopping somewhere in Greece, then Cyprus and then Jurusalem. We missed out on Egypt because the sea was so rough and headed back across the med for several days to Sicily. On the way from Sicily to our final port of Naples we passed Stromboli in the night which still has to be one of my greatest memories. We were all dancing away in the disco to 'Green Onions' (which was re-released that year), when the Captain announced we had pulled up alongside the active volcano. To see it erupting at night was a truly incredible vision.
I remember a guy on the boat that everyone called, Action Man - I remember the Indian crew, who called us all Charlie and we called all them Charlie too - and I remember I was in a dormitary way down at the bottom of the ship called, 'Wingate'.
I was at Speedwell School in Bristol and felt very priviliged to go on this trip of a lifetime for something like £150. Truly amazing.

Weren't we lucky. God rest her shippy soul.

Steve.

Replies:
Subject: Falklands War

Author:
Clive Sinclair
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 14:55:49 09/19/11 Mon

Just found this site.

In early 1982 I was serving with a REME Workshop in Tidworth. Shortly after the Argentinians invaded the Falklands I was attached to 3 Parachute Regiment and sailed south on SS Canberra.

I was shot three times on top of Mount Longdon. The next thing I knew was waking up on the Uganda - with an injured Argentinian soldier opposite me.

The nurses told me they had found a live grenade in a pocket of my clothes - heaven knows why it was not removed prior to being put aboard Uganda, guess I will never know. But it did cause chaos on board!

I was then transferred to HMS Herald and on to Montevideo for a flight back to UK.

After 9 months in hospital, I made a full recovery.

Replies:
Subject: Anyone Remember

Author:
Adrian Hughes (Long time ago but still have good memories)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 13:16:12 02/23/11 Wed

Does anyone remeber Cruise No. 270 dated 17/01/1982 where we sailed from Valletta Malta to Alexandria,Rhodes,Izmir,Heraklion,Itea and finally Split.

I was in Grenfel Dorm with a load of other Sea cadets I also worked the two weeks in the Galley with a number of other cadets. I am from Neath in Wales and was on the cruise with Jeff Jones(Ginger guy)who sadly is no longer with us as he got killed on his 17th Birthday.
Recently got the Book "Uganda the story of a very special ship" and got it signed by one of the authors, well worth the purchas 'cos most of my pics are faded.

Please anyone get in touch.

Ade

a.d.hughes@btinternet.com

Replies:
Subject: Northamptonshire Cruise 10-23 Feb 1979

Author:
Sandra Towers (Great Memories)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 22:27:00 02/09/14 Sun

I was on that Northamptonshire cruise you describe - great memories - with a party from Guilsborough School.

It is 35 years ago tomorrow!

.....and I still have one of those cardboard ships!

Subject: Athens May 1978

Author:
Kevin Mears
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 21:33:50 02/11/14 Tue

Flew from gatwick to Athens on dan air, boarded Uganda , after a day in Athens then cruised to Dubrovnik, Palermo, civitivetia for Rome, Palma, tangier , Vigo then to Southampton for the coach home .. Two weeks away as a 15 year old ...... Great and with many school chums ... I was from the charlton school in Wellington , telford .. I enjoyed it very much, it was my first flight and cruise .. I got sea sick between Rome and Majorca . I remember the cinema , the disco area at the rear, the galley with trays for food, no plates, also remember areas we were not allowed, the dorms slept about twenty on bunk beds , the more I wright the more I start to remember .. The music was queen at the time, the trips ashore were very interesting but classrooms at sea were a bit annoying .. Remember the water in the swimming pool sloshing about, and playing coytes on deck, all good memories

Subject: memoriam for Wesley Hall (last chief engineer)

Author:
Richard Kerswell (sadly missed)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 13:47:42 02/14/14 Fri

My friend Wes Hall passed away last autmn after a long battle with lung cancer among his other achievments he was the chief engineer on the SS Uganda oth before ,during and after the falkland conflict.
I have traveled on the Uganda as a child to Dar-es-Salaam inthe 50s, my father was also port health inspector in Dar 1955-1963.

Subject: november 1976 (i think)

Author:
leigh
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 20:17:10 06/10/11 Fri

I remember a Med cruse starting in Venice then Yugoslavia, Greece Israel and Italy, finishing in Naples, also we sailed between the channel by Corfu and Greece and Stromboli was activ, I remeber it lighting up the night. I went to Portland Road school in Birmingham and paid about 460 pounds (ha my folks did not me), we flew out from Gatwick on a Dan Air Comet (later I found out that it was a very doggy plane)and arriving at Marco Polo airport to signs from the last cruise saying the food was horrid....it was but it had a great time and got the bug for travelling, I've since been back to these counties (except Yugoslavia) and have been living in Spain for the last 16 years. Great site and a sad end to a great ship

Replies:
Subject: 1975 or 76?? venice, split, egypt,santorini, crete,

Author:
liz wilson ne liz jones st dunstans school
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 04:27:31 02/19/14 Wed

Hi. Was thinking about the cruise on Uganda in eithrer75 or 76? Big storm. Had a fantastic time. Rod Stewarts we are sailing has always brought this trip back to me! Can still smell that smell, I was right down in the bottom of the ship, in the storm we could hardly keep up right in the common room. I wanted just to watch the sea but not allowed on deck. Huge experience, wish I had more photos! Anyone else remember this trip? Liz

Subject: ss Uganda summer '66

Author:
Gill (Knight) (nostalgic!)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 23:27:54 03/19/14 Wed

would like to hear from or about any of the passengers and/or or crew.. voyage summer 1966 London-East Africa:

passengers: Caroline,Penny

crew: Barry (assistant purser), John, Gordon and First Mate..

Subject: Med Cruise 75 or 76 ish

Author:
Mark
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 13:44:00 02/03/12 Fri

Happy days mucking about with new friends, discovering new lands, dormitory raids and a little bit of education.
Would love to speak with Elizabeth Wilkinson ( as she was then )

Replies:
Subject: November 1982

Author:
Ian Hughes (I am sailing)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 22:43:24 12/05/09 Sat

Dudley schools cruise November 1982. Some sent home early with appendicitis (we thought it was because he had got pissed). Getting lost on Rhodes, "Oops up side your head", "Sailing" , . Happy days.

Replies:
Subject: Baltic Cruise 1979

Author:
Ian Hay
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 16:06:59 10/16/13 Wed

I was on the cruise from Dundee to Travemundie in Germany, Leningrad now St Petersburg, Helsinki, Copenhagen and back to Dundee with St Margarets RC High School.

I was fortunate to be one of a few pupils on the ship who were 18 and therefore was allowed to have drinks on the deck with the captain and teachers, we also accompanied a few teachers to some nice bars in Helsinki and Copenhagen too.

Leningrad was spectacular with posters of Lenin everywhere and we were greeted by the school children of Leningrad at the dock. Seeing the Winter Palace was a memory I will never forget.

Great fun apart from being a prefect on the ship.

Replies:
Subject: 27 feb 1968

Author:
Ian Frost
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 20:29:13 11/08/09 Sun

I and 700 other herberts were among the first bunch to be given the Uganda Magic..to this very day the memories are etched in this grey matter. How Much? I think it was about £66...what a bargain....

Replies:
  • Re: 27 feb 1968 -- Jane---Cressex School HW Bucks (Fab), 14:49:32 03/22/14 Sat
Subject: 75-76 !!!!!! Help 06/04/2014

Author:
Richard Hughes (Never forget it !!!!!)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 21:47:40 04/06/14 Sun

Hi everyone, what can i say, i have stumbled across this website by accident, i have read all the messages on here and i still have noy found our cruise. we flew to venice from gatwick then it was Patmos, Korchula,Haifa,and then Athens but unsure if the order is correct. we were a party from coseley seconndary school and it was unbelieviable at the time, i remember it cost £120.00 for the trip.I also remember a couple of lads nicked the watches of the roadside sellers and sold them when they got home to make a few bob !! there were also some americans with us but once again cannot remember any names,but there again im now 51 this year. would be nice to hear from anyone who may have been there,!! Happy times !!!!

Replies:
Subject: Cruise 1971-72

Author:
Andrew Fleming (Hello)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 14:50:28 04/12/14 Sat

We left lochgilphead very early on a coach to Greenock and had a great view of the ship coming down into the town. Even that was an adventure. I don't think I had slept the past two nights because of pure excitement.
We went to Oporto, La Rochelle and Amsterdam and I think the cruise lasted 10 days and cost about £60
I think I was only ten years old during the cruise and like my classmates was totally cared for by Mrs Sinclair, our teacher.
I have no photos or souvenirs left now, but the pictures in my head and the vivid memories are still here.
I loved every moment of my cruise. How lucky I was.
If you remember being on this particular cruise and have any photos of the Argyllshire group, leave a message.
What a great site.

Subject: Arne Johansen

Author:
Colin Martin
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 21:51:47 04/18/14 Fri

Can anyone tell me if they remember my Grandfather Arne Johansen who was the first officer on the SS Uganda in the late fifties early sixties?
He was Norweigen and died in 1965 from a stab wound inflicted in the China Seas while boarded by pirates.
Regards
Colin Martin

p.s He only servived due to the Phillipino crew donating blood (which shows how well thought of he was as they generaly don't due to religious beliefs) donating blood.

Subject: NEVASA - Venice,Piraeus,Athens,Izmir,Kos,Syracuse,Gibraltar,Southampton '69 or '70???

Author:
Diane (Happy but forgetful!)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 16:16:51 04/26/14 Sat

My school in Kenilworth was due to go on the Uganda, but that cruise was overbooked, so we went on the NEVASA instead with schools from Barnet, Brent and Harrow. I think it was in November 1969 or 1970, but I forget so much these days (brain failing, obviously) and I don't know the whereabouts of anyone else in the entire universe to ask who was on that cruise with me at the same time. I know it happened, and I recall loving the experience, other kids, and places. Also I have an appalling photo of myself at the Parthenon in school uniform to prove that I was there, but I would love to hear from anyone who was on that cruise at the same time. The sound of Nana Mouskouri belting out of the tannoy at 6.a.m. when we were docking at Piraeus or Kos has ever since given me a lifelong hatred of early mornings, and I am still prone to seasickness whenever crossing the Bay of Biscay, but really my memories of the whole thing are very precious. And I can shout at the TV the answers to various trivia questions on quiz shows as a consequence of that cruise. Please contact me!

Subject: Cruise that couldnt dock at Egypt but did 2 days in Israel 1979/1980 ??

Author:
Michelle Colebourn (Nee Turner)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 02:12:51 01/14/10 Thu

I was lucky enough to go on a school cruise aboard the SS Uganda too... great memories. I was with Beaufort Second School, from Southbourne in Bournemouth, Dorset. The school no longer exists, just like the Uganda!

Right now I cannot remember what year it was though, but I was either 3rd or 4th year at secondary and I left in 1981, so I am presuming it was 1979/80.

I remember that we had to fly to Naples where we boarded the Uganda. We went to The Acropolis in Athens, Haifa, Kos, Mycenae, Epidaurus and Venice.. probably elsewhere but right now I cant remember! God, so young then, so much older now! I am 45 next week! Where have those years vanished?

Anyway, the difference with this cruise was that for some reason we couldnt dock at Egypt, so we missed out on that country totally. (Do not recall why, but have a feeling it was something to do with bad weather, but could be wrong there!) That is something I always regretted... but we did have two days in Israel instead! Visited the Wailing Wall, Bethlehem (Church of the Holy Nativity) then later on I am pretty sure it was the Garden of Gethsemane and Nazareth.

I had a photo taken with some soldiers just by the wailing wall with my friend Jane Newton. We were always after the opposite sex! :D I also remember buying a very smelly clay drum with leather skin and a 'toy' leather smelly camel!! Oh and a 50p drum on a stick which had strings either side and a bead on it. You had to twizzle it in your hand and the strings/beads hit the face of it. There was such a rush to buy it, the seller got over run and I think he let go of more than he had money for!

I remember the pens with the ship floating through it..I had one of those. I remember the indian guy who served soup. Every day we would ask, what soup is it today...(cause you might have eaten it and STILL not known!!) and every day that funny man, with a deep and colourful expressions said... 'DONKEY SOUP!' Crikey, he might have even been telling the truth!! I can still see him now!

I also remember someone getting hold of 'double strength' Oozo in Greece.. oh bloody hell!!! I remember our dorms were below decks, hot, horrid and very noisy with the engines. I remember getting involved with a cute and very blonde boy from a school in Beaminster, cannot remember his name though! :D If thats you.. sorry!

Fortunately I was never sick, but I remember sick bags being thrown over board and being thrown back (up one level) in the wind!!!!! YUCK..... I also have a photo of me on deck, in very windy conditions, just sitting down being blown around as I couldnt even stand up...Knowing me and Jane, we were not supposed to have been there at the time!!!

I remember being waved off by my Grandad as the bus went through Tuckton near his home, after it had left my school. He stood on the roundabout to make sure he could do so, bless him. I remember crying that I was leaving, didnt want to go at the last minute, but my Mum said I had to as she had paid for it! LOL.. then I had a whale of a time and cried cause I didnt want to go back!

Happy Days... such a shame they dont do these any more for todays kids!! It certainly gave me the desire for travel. I did that for a little while but my last journey was to move me abroad and now I live in Lapland, Finland. If you were on this particular cruise.. I would love to hear from you!

Michelle

Replies:
Subject: ss Uganda summer '66

Author:
Gill
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 23:07:47 08/28/12 Tue

My mistake on previous post: it was summer 1966 not 1967, SS Uganda, fellow passengers Penny, Caroline..friends also among the crew... John, Gordon..and especially Barry. happy memories, malaika..

Replies:
Subject: NEW MUSTER BADGES PAGE ADDED to SS Uganda site.

Author:
Ashley(Runt) Forum Admin
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 22:57:00 05/13/14 Tue

Hi all I`ve just added a new page to the SS Uganda web site.
This new page contains i think all the Muster / Dorm Badges from SS Uganda. The images were supplied to me by a forum/web visitor whose details I have lost due to changing PC`s and such like.
If you remember sending me these images please let me know so that I can give you credit.
You can find the new page HERE:SS Uganda Dorm / Station Badges Gallery

Yours ,
Ashley (Runt) Forum Admin

Subject: SS Uganda, Holyland Cruise, Christmas1982

Author:
Jane Cooper (nee Foster) (Nostalgic)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 22:28:24 05/14/14 Wed

So I'm not the only one with such fond memories of the SS Uganda school cruises!
I was very lucky to experience two marvellous cruises on the Uganda. The first was in 1980 to the Baltic, visiting Travemunde, Berlin, Helsinki, Stockholm, Visby and Wonderful Copenhagen. I was from Beauchamps School in Wickford. The first three days were spent leaning over the rails whist sailing a rough North Sea! I remember queueing at matrons room for a travel sickness pill and being made to swallow two water biscuits first.
I remember Action Man, of course....surely the most famous crew member of all times?
I remeber the talk of 'Carpet Land' where the proper passengers resided.
Also the games of Deck Quoits and the delight as we watched yet another dissappear overboard. The lights and sounds of the Tivoli Gardens and the thrill of being 'independent' at the tender age of 14!
But most memorable was the Christmas Cruise to the Holy Land in 1982. We had been terribly disappointed earlier to have our cruise cancelled due to the Falklands War. but then we heard that we were rescheduled onto this trip of lifetime. Starting in Naples and visiting Pompei, then Malta and it's beautiful harbour. A great storm followed but we survived and went on to Antalya in Turkey, Cyprus and Israel. I will always remember looking at the sun rising over the Holy Land on Christmas morning. The trip through the hills to Bethlehem as our teacher, Miss Humphrys, read from the Bible of the Holy Birth. The Church of the Nativity and the soldiers outside with guns. The little Olive wood crib I bought, which still comes out each Christmas time. Then on to Jerusalem and the Via de la Rosa, the Wailing Wall and the Garden Tomb. Wow....still sends shivers down my spine.
I am so grateful that I had the chance to experience these moments. Happy, happy days.
Thank you to all on board who made it so special.

Subject: Two cruises - 1969-1971?? and 1973?

Author:
Steve Clark
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 20:42:57 06/01/14 Sun

I can't remember the date, but 1969-71 (?) Embark Southampton - Malaga (for Granada), Nauplia (Coach across Corinth to Athens/Parthenon/Piraeus), Rhodes, Venice. £64

!973, I think, Yom Kippur war? 24 hours notice, £25. Fly to Naples, Alexandria (for Cairo), Haifa (for Galilee/Jerusalem), Famagusta, Venice. Remember a girl called Georgie from Bangor in Northern Ireland.

Wonderful trips, which I would have appreciated a lot more if I knew then what I know now!!! Anyone else on either of those cruises????

Subject: School cruise Renfrewshire

Author:
Mike Anderson (Happy)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 15:28:33 10/27/13 Sun

Was on a cruise in either 1967 or 1968 s,s, navassa following year s,s, Uganda sailing from Greenock one a med cruise the other Sweden Denmark two best holidays I,ve ever had anyone remember being on either cruise schools from all over Scotland

Replies:
Subject: June 1968 - Ayrshire schools

Author:
Marjory Naismith
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12:06:12 07/06/14 Sun

I was on Uganda in 1968. We sailed from Greenock on the 14th June and I think we were away for 2 weeks. I was at Prestwick High School. What a great time we had, particularly as we didn't seem to be entirely supervised ;)) the weather was terrific and I remember that we called at Madeira, the Azores and ?vigo, but surely we must have done more than that. My recollections are a little hazy and as for being educational ??? Not so sure about that. Any one else help me fill in the gaps please. I know that a group of us found our way to a nice wee "taverna" overlooking Ponta Delgada and enjoyed a few Pimms at the age of 15 - no wonder we had a good time. I was a bad influence even then. I had been on the Canberra with my parents earlier so had ideas above my station.

Subject: We don't need no education...

Author:
Bob Bayman (wonderful times)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 22:17:18 07/20/14 Sun

I think it must have been the cusp of 79/80.
The ultimate double irony of a bunch of lucky school kids on a educational cruise in The Meddi seriously belting out Pink Floyd's chart topping single as the clock chimed in the New Year.

I remember the route clearly.... my first ever plane flight: from East Midlands on a Dan Dare Comet to Athens. Piraeus, Rhodes, Israel for Xmas Day in the Holy Land, Corfu, Dubrovnik, Messina in Sicilly and then Valletta in Malta to finish back on Dan Dare home.

I remember the lectures, the dressing up for some fancy dress event, the distinctive smell of the canteen, the bus alongside the river Jordan and poggo-ing to Pink Floyd. Oh, and being sad a couple of years later to hear that the boat was requisition and had to go off to war in the Falklands. I remember thinking that more lucky kids would be missing out on what was my first 'trip of a lifetime' - one that whetted my appetite for many more to come.

Subject: Uganda Cruise 253

Author:
Kevin Chance
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 21:41:43 07/24/14 Thu

Sailed on the Uganda on the 11/10/1971. All i have left is a postal schedule which reads - party ref. 'L' - "HILLARY".
We departed Southampton at 1600hrs, ports of call were-
Madeira /Casablanca / Malaga and Lisbon arriving back in Southampton at 0900 on the 24/10/1971.
We had a great journey, something i will allways remember,
from coming runner up in the deck hockey (from all the schools) to smuggling booze on board and balancing on the ships rails (idiots).
My biggest regret was not seeing her off when she went to the Falklands or on her last journey from the Fal estuary Falmouth.
I did go to smugglers cottage to see some of the memorabilia and sign the sailed on the UGANDA book.
What a great ship.

Subject: ss uganda barry boys 1970

Author:
Gareth Jones (fantastic)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 17:23:20 07/26/14 Sat

can anyone remember my cruise we left barry flew from gatwick, arived in yugoslavia finished in venice flew back from marco polo I think it was 1970

Subject: Med trip Dec 1977??? & baltic trip.. 197?

Author:
Louise Johnson (happy)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 09:46:25 07/27/14 Sun

Hi there !

im trying to remember what year it was.. we flew to Malta and went to Israel, Egypt, Santorini, Naples, (and more tho I cannot remember them all )

What I do remember was that one of the kitchen staff, on his birthday the rumour was that he put boot polish in his hair to cover his grey hairs.
We had to walk up the steps to get to Santorini.. with the donkeys and their poo !! (there was no airport at the time)
We got up very early to see the sun rise in the desert and it was the first day it had rained all year so we missed it..
I met a lad called Jamie W who was from Codsall in Wolverhapton..

It was a fantastic trip,

and I was lucky enough to go on another one... around the baltic..though we couldnt stop at St Petersburg (i think) due to some political problem at the time.. We went to Berlin, Copenhagon, Helsinksi, Stockholm.. plus others
Can anyone remember the year and month please??? Maybe 1979??
I think another local school went because I remember a lad called Robert Routledge..

The Mediterranean trip was definitely in December.. but its the year Id like to know please???

And Id appreciate it if anyone can remember the month and year of the Baltic trip.. please..

Kind Regards

Replies:
Subject: Cruise to Holy Land

Author:
Anita Hodgkiss
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 15:19:53 08/01/14 Fri

I was fortunate to sail on the Uganda in January of 1978...I think. We flew from Gatwick to Athens and visited Bodrum in Turkey and then sailed into Haifa. I remember visiting Jerusalem and Bethlehem. Such an amazing country. We ended up in Malta where we flew back to Gatwick. I was at Turves Green Girls School. I remember a fancy dress thing that we all joined in with because it enabled us to go onto the areas where the teachers stayed. Happy memories.

Subject: Gatwick to Athens, boarded in piraeus - ?1977

Author:
Mary R
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 15:03:34 08/03/14 Sun

I think my cruise aboard SS Uganda was 1977, but I can't find another post on this forum that mentions the same places. We flew to Athens, boarded in Piraeus and visited:

- Rhodes, Heraklion, Katakolon, Istanbul, Dubrovnik

We flew home from Dubrovnik. I think that, originally, the Holy Land was on the itinery but this was dropped because of the troubles there.

We had a terrible storm as we sailed up the Dardanelles and almost everyone was sick. Those of us who weren't had third and fourth helpings of dinner!

The other abiding memory is of a donkey ride down a steep hill in Rhodes when I thought I was going to die!

Subject: National Trust for Scotland Charters

Author:
Rod Wilkins
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 03:53:17 05/15/13 Wed

Maybe not many people know but once a year the National Trust for Scotland would charter the ship for a week or ten days and open up the dormitories to adult passengers. Pretty cramped, but extremely cheap compared with luxury cruises. We always cruised around the NTS flagship, St Kilda, then visited various Northern European/Scandinavian Ports. I cruised four times in the mid-late seventies and still keep up with a few fellow ex-passengers. Anyone else out there frequent the NTS cruises?

Also looking for a reasonably priced copy of "UGANDA: The story of a very special ship". Anyone help?

Replies:
Subject: Uganda/Nevasa book and memorabilia

Author:
BREN RUSSELL CAMPBELL
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 17:05:59 06/10/12 Sun

Hi y'all, my late mum ran her Oxfordshire school's cruises on Uganda and Nevasa. She wrote a book about it and accumulated lots of memorabilia. Now I am faced with the task of disposing of it all. There is about 2 boxes of bits & pieces like menus, pennants, postcards, photos, colour slides etc etc.
Also the remainder of books she wrote - a box full. They sell very well on ebay for £10 each but I would sell the whole box @ trade along with the rest of the memorabilia if anyone wants to sell them on.
This collection is in Oxford but will consider shipping.
Sensible replies only please, any rubbish will be reported.

Replies:
Subject: 1979 cruise

Author:
clint underwood
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 18:57:40 09/22/11 Thu

hi i cruised on the ss uganda in febuary 1979 around the med (cruise 175 ) seems to ring a bell .went with john lea school in wellingborough, anyone else from that cruise

Replies:
Subject: Med cruise 1976/77?

Author:
Sharon Ovall
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 00:28:21 03/20/10 Sat

I went on a cruise on the SS Uganda cant remember if it was 1976 or 77, we called at Barcelona, Cadiz, Palma and Tangier. It was a fun time but I dont remember much about it was only 12 at the time. I can clearly remember my friend buying a 6 legged octopus wearing an SS Uganda hat and we called it Sixypus... weird what you remeber huh! I also remember being thrown around coming home through the bay of Biscay... it was fun and everyone was falling over.
We had a dorm right in the bowels of the ship and remember being gutted that we didnt have any "windows" :) happy days

Replies:
Subject: Christmas cruise 1978

Author:
Chandra McKay (new Foster)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 09:16:42 08/27/14 Wed

Does anyone remember a Christmas Mediterraen cruise from Ellen Wilkinson high school (Girls)? Think 1978?

From memory we visited Greece, what was then Yugoslavia & Jerusalem

Subject: UPDATE !!! - SS Uganda - Educational Cruise - May 1980 - UPDATE !!!

Author:
Dave
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 03:44:59 04/17/12 Tue

UPDATE !!! - SS Uganda - Educational Cruise - May 1980 - UPDATE !!!

First off - Remember The "Tuck Shop" ?

My Original Post is Here : http://www.voy.com/71354/436.html

So After doing a bit of research from various places along with matching locations
with the photos i took I've been able to piece together a bit more detail about my cruise
aboard the Uganda in May 1980. I Should have filled in my "Young Mariner's Cruise Journal".

Hope this update it's of interest ...

The Cruise Number was - 079
The Mungo Park Dorm was on the Port Side ( left ) behind the Funnel down on 'B' Deck
Wish i could remember my Bunk Number ( Mungo Park had 28 Berths ).

Below is a 'slighty' more detailed list of the Countries & Ports Of Call visited including Dates.
( Although a few gaps are still missing - I just can't find the info ).
Along with some of the places visited & some memories of that time marked with a * in brackets.

As well as the list below I also recall :-
Mr Skipp - Our Party Leader / Teacher.
Lots of Laughs onboard Uganda ( Common Room, On Deck, Dorm etc. ) and ashore on outings.
Sadly though we had to wear school uniform on outings - We weren't happy about that at all !
We were let loose in a Souk & or Bazaar, not sure where though ( maybe Turkey ).
A few Museums were visited, again can't recall where ( one maybe in Athens ).
Bartering - Don't you just miss being able to have a good old Haggle ?
Buying Bottles of Coke from street vendors & wondering if we were going to get "The Trots" ( I didn't ! ).

Greece ( 14th May - 1980 )
Port = Athens ( Piraeus ) ( * Very Busy, Lots of Mercedes Cars & Hot, Very Hot ! ).
Mouseion Hill - Philopappos Monument. ( * My First good view of the Acropolis ).
The Acropolis ( * My First good view of the Mouseion Hill ).
The Parthenon, Old Temple of Athena etc. on the Acropolis ( * Steep Path up but Worth it ! ).

Greece ( 15th May )
Port = Volos ( * A Crazy Coach Drive in the hills to visit Monasteries ).
I think it was the Meteora Monasteries in Thessaly ( * Was an Amazing Place ! ).

Turkey ( 16th May )
Port = Izmir
Ephesus ( * The Celsus Library was impressive - but The Grand Amphitheatre = Wow ! ).
House of the Virgin Mary on Mount Koressos ( * Small ).

Sicily ( 19th May )
Port = Syracuse ( Siracusa )
( * The Coach Drivers Cigarettes ! - Everyone else went to see piles of bones somewhere ).
The Cathedral of Syracuse ( The Greek Temple of Athena ).

Tunisia ( 20th May )
Port = I recall Tunis but the Lloyds Voyage Records say that Bizerta was the port of call, so not 100% sure.
Still visited the Cathedral Of Saint Louis on Byrsa Hill at Carthage.
Sidi Bou Said ( * Everywhere - White & Blue Buildings & The No 1 Place to Haggle ).

Gibraltar ( 23rd May )
Port = Gibraltar ( * Horses with Carriages & Monkeys ).

Portugal ( 24th May )
Port = Lisbon ( * Locals wanting to buy my camera - A Kodak Instant Camera ).
Monument to the Discoveries ( * Big Harbour Side ... um, Monument & More Camera related hassle ).
Christo Rei - Christ Statue ( * Nearly fell off a cliff taking the photo ).

The Bay Of Biscay ( * ROUGH - Wasn't Sea Sick ! ).

Southhampton ( 27th May ) ( * The End - Of what was a Great Adventure ! ).

A Tad Brief - But I Hope you enjoyed this update.

Replies:
Subject: Christmas 1976

Author:
Helena Lake
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12:30:44 11/09/13 Sat

I was on the Xmas cruise on the Uganda in 1976. We flew to Brindisi then sailed to Delphi, Athens, Antalya in Turkey, docked in Haifa and went to Bethlehem (Xmas day) then Jerusalem. I think we then went to Chios and finally flew home from Malta. We were supposed to go to Beruit but war had broken out there. We had a great time, it was an amazing experience and I still have the group photo which we were all given.

Replies:
Subject: 1974 school cruise

Author:
lynne
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 22:19:06 06/20/10 Sun

i was on yhe ss uganda for a school cruise in the summer of 1974,i was 14,we sailed from tilbury and visited norway ,sweden,denmark ,finland and russia.i remember the smell of the kitchens eminating through the ship as we boarded.id love to hear from anyone who was on the same cruise

Replies:
Subject: The Holy Land 1972/3 (?)

Author:
Chris benton
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 11:08:48 07/25/06 Tue

Anyone remember the above cruise ? If I recall correctly the itnerary was Venice, Faumagusta, Haifa, Athens and Naples. We missed out Sicilly because of a storm in the Med. We spent Christmas in Israel and even in those days (only 5 or so years after the six day war) the security in Israel was really rigorous. I travelled with Cannock Grammar School and we left from Gatwick (Dan Air Comet !!!)

I still have very happy memories of the time on board (not of the mater at arms or the food though :-)) Anyone else who remembers do drop a line to the email address

Replies:
Subject: Swansea - Maderia - Tenerife - Lanzarote-Tangiers

Author:
Bev Stephens
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 22:10:10 04/17/12 Tue

Does anyone remember this cruise? I was from Pembroke Grammar School and I think the cruise was in about 1969 or 70?

Replies:
Subject: Sailed on her twice

Author:
Paul Thornton
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 14:04:08 09/11/14 Thu

Hi, I saw the Uganda last night on BBC South today and it brought back some memories. I first sailed on her in the mid 70's with my school. We flew to Malta then visited one of the Greek Islands, Turkey , Israel and Venice which is where we flew back from. I found myself back on her as a member of HM forces sailing back from the Falklands to Ascension Islands after the conflict. I can remember it being a bit serreal finding myself back on her under totally different circumstances. I even remember locating the dorm and bed I slept in the first tim round.

Subject: SS Uganda School Trip 77/78

Author:
Elvi (Great)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 13:03:38 04/06/12 Fri

Hi one and all, Great to find this site. My first Cruise was with my School and loads of others Schools from Aberdeen,Scotland and I remember Ireland Schools being there. We were from Linksfield Academy Aberdeen, Sumerhill Academy were with us from Aberdeen, we collected a load from Dundee and if memory serves me right I think we sailed from Dundee? We were all on the Baltic Cruise to Norway, Sweden Denmark and Finland. Great memories of the Cruise meeting up with Old freinds and Girlfreind that i had met at Broomlee Camp some 2/3 years previous.Remember getting her to join our class turn at the pool and I had to be first in the Pool and to my shock it was Sea Water and absolutely Freezing. Was out of there within 5 mins. Remember going to Cinema and the Discos at Night, Duke Box that we Played two Main Songs, My Girl is Red Hot and the Beatles Roll over Beathoven.Mornings we were woke up with Various Tunes, Get Up and Put Your Blue Jeans on was one, Vunderfull Vunderfull Copenhagen of course when we docked there. The Joys of eating Cornetos in Copenhagen and taisting for the first time Pop Rock which later came to UK as Space Dust or was the name the other way round.Tivoli Gardens were Ace and visiting the Rock with the Mermaid on it,Was a Fantastic Cruise can't remember what happened but we were supposed to be doing the Med Cruise but was cancelled to Baltic.Have a school Photo of that trip and only a few pics

Replies:
Subject: My Cruise

Author:
Mike Whitney
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 10:53:56 10/27/05 Thu

I was lucky enough to have sailed on the SS Uganda twice, the first was about 80/81, my second trip was the first sailing after the ship had retured from the Falklands, we sailed from Southamption to Cadiz in Spain and for a couple of days we had John Craven on board doing a report for Newsround.

Just noticed somebody referred to Action Man, i remenber him well, i also remember watching Rocky 3 in the cinema.

My other memories included hot chocolate in the restaurant of an evening, stupid lessons during the day.

My most vivid memory was being washed down one on the decks by a big wave whilst sailing to cadiz, very scary.

Great site keep up the good work.

Replies:
Subject: Re: School Cruise 1969 from Tilbury

Author:
Rob Overett
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 20:19:46 09/14/14 Sun

I was on the cruise from Tilbury with Wargrave Piggott school to Casablanca, Madeira, Tenerife and Lisbon. And, I remember the first 4 days, wet, rough, diesel fuel smell below deck, and watching the heaving swell from the common room at the stern as the soft drinks went flying. Ships concert, a lovely lass called Isabelle from Congleton, the discos. And the girls from St Peter Port who waved goodbye to me in the coach when we went home. That made my day! A fantastic experience that stays with me to this day.

Subject: Feb 1968 Inaugural Cruise

Author:
Jane Molloy (nee Dunthorne)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 11:48:26 05/17/12 Thu

I was on the inaugural cruise in Feb/Mar 1968 along with fellow students from Fakenham Grammar School in Norfolk. I have wonderful memories of that cruise especially the evening discos and the group of Czech students who gave us gifts at the end of the cruise. It left me with a lifelong love of travel and I have enjoyed many cruises since. I think it cost £52 at the time and my parents took a lot of persuading!
I found this website as I was doing research on the Uganda and I think it is wonderful that so many people have contributed their memories.

Replies:
Subject: SS Uganda Baltic 1969 Hit sandbank "oops"

Author:
Martyn Boon
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 20:55:46 05/01/02 Wed

At the age of 13 years I was very privalaged to be able to go on the SS Uganda Baltic cruise from Bucklers Mead School Yeovil on June 24th 1969. I think we were the first party of school children to go to Leningrad and on our way we sailed through Danish islands. On our approach to Leningrad at approximately 5am a piolet boarded to ensure our safe arrival, unfortunatly we ended up on a sand bank, and as we were in our bunks at the "pointy end" we felt the full force of the impact. As we were all "dislodged" from our bunks we all decided to get dressed (dispite the unearthly hour) and go up on deck, to our surprise we were now clear of the sand bank and sailing past what seemed like thousands of submarines and battle ships. On disembarkation we were played ashore by the Red Army Band. On our return to the UK we encountered the worst ever weather the Uganda had ever experienced, I have actually saved newspaper cuttings of the time which discribes the day to day events of the cruise and one report says that out of 960 children not one had been sick but I can asure you we proved that reporter wrong.

Replies:
Subject: bALTIC CRUISE

Author:
LIZ ocONNOR
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 17:16:26 12/03/12 Mon

I wouldlike does anyone remember a Baltic cruise around 1967/68 Docked at ports germany norway and sweden also got choice to go to Moscow by train

Replies:
Subject: Music cruise Sept 1974

Author:
Julie Harland
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 16:57:34 02/13/11 Sun

Does anyone remember this cruise in 1974?
SS Uganda sailed from Liverpool to Santander, Ceuta, Gibraltar and Vigo- we were suposed to go to Casablanca but a cholera outbreak put paid to that.It was a 10 day cruise and we (the school children ) were all part of choirs- SATB, SSA, and orchestras and gave concerts on the ship and in the caves in Gibraltar- it was a fantastic experience- Vigo and also in Liverpool Philharmonic Hall on our return. It was my second trip abroad and an amazing experience I shall never forget. I fell in love with cruising and listening to music whilst looking out to sea. Unfortunately I had to wait 29 years before I would go on another cruise and have now been on several more!

Replies:
Subject: Uganda West Africa Christmas New year 1977-8

Author:
Martin
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 00:08:52 05/21/09 Thu

Had an unforgettable experience aboard the Uganda back in 77-8, a three week cruise from Ceuta in N Africa, calling in at Las Palmas, Casablanca, Freetown, Dakar and Banjul. I was 16 at the time and went with Loughborough Grammar School. The trip cost £220-odd and my mates and I had the trip of a lifetime. We were in Nansen dorm, which was the height of luxury (well, no it wasn't).
It was genuinely one of the highlights of my life, and I will be forever grateful to my parents for saving up to give me the opportunity.
My brother did almost the same itinerary 3 years earlier o the Nevasa.

Replies:
Subject: Cruise 3 November 1981 sailing from Split

Author:
Fiona Hooper
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 18:20:37 03/18/12 Sun

We flew out from Gatwick on a DanAir BAC1-11 on 3 November 1981 (I remember the date because it is Adam Ant's birthday and I was a big fan) We flew to Split and our other ports of call were Sparta and Mystra (not sure if spelling is right), Epheses, Alexandria, Gythion, and we flew home from Venice.

I had the best time ever, it was my first flight, and my first cruise. We had a couple of days of bad weather and I think we emptied the tuck shop of all the chocolate until there was only Twix left. Laurie Anderson's O Superman was on the juke box in the common room. I remember putting our dirty plates on the side in the galley and seeing only the hands of the staff who wiped all the leftovers into a bin with their bare hands. I remember the Gully Gully man in Egypt doing magic tricks with live chicks. I remember sailing into Venice and seeing a barge sailing past with a train on it. I loved Egypt. I only have a few photos of the cruise as I had a borrowed camera and wasn't sure how to use it, but I still have my official group photo. I would love to repeat the same journey with my digital camera. It was a great holiday.

Replies:
Subject: Stormy cruise in the 70's

Author:
Ragman
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 17:04:20 03/29/13 Fri

Does anyone remember going on the Mediterrenean school cruise on the SS Uganda in the mid 70's.
I know we left Southampton and had a massive storm in the Bay of Biscay on the way to the Med. I can't remember the year but I do know it was touch and go whether we were going to allowed into Israel because there was a war on! We also went to Tunisia. We flew back on a Comet from Greece through another storm.

Replies:
Subject: Ran aground leaving Alexandria

Author:
Eric
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 05:11:54 11/07/14 Fri

Was anyone on a cruise in '79 (I think) where Uganda bounce off the sea floor a few times, sprang a leak and had to head directly to Piraeus? Other than that particular excitement, I had the time of my life, met great people, fell in love, saw more of the world in two weeks than my life to-date, woke up to real music, pierced an ear, had a few delicious beverages, got good at gambling, grew up, widened my world view (coming from Canada) and beats some blokes at "deck hockey". These posts are a great read and illustrate the positive effect this program has obviously had over the years.... And yes, I do remember Action Man...

Subject: 1979 March

Author:
Graham Gibson
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 14:39:20 02/27/12 Mon

I was on the Uganda in March 1979 with fellow pupils from Redstone secondary school in Redhill Sy. We joined the ship in Malta after flying from Gatwick on a Dan air comet. The first port of call was a Greek Island, can't remember the name and then onto Egypt where we visited Cairo and then the Pyraminds. The cruise was cut short by the ship running aground in the early hours of the morning as we departed Alexandria, I remember being woken by the ship shaking. Instead of returning to port the ship sailed across the med to Pireus as that was the nearest dry dock, I seem to remember that this part of the trip took two days. By the time we reached port the ship was listing - the explanation given was that we were short on drinking water? Anyhow once disembarked we spent the second week of the holiday staying in a Greek hotel with coach trips out to places such Adelphi, Athens and Sparta. I also recall that we then got a refund of the holiday cost once we returned home.

Replies:

Author:
amanda millington
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12:56:27 11/07/14 Fri

I was on the Uganda in the early 70s I'm from Shropshire I remember we were with some Canadians from nova Scotia and our cruise was Turkey Cyprus,Egypt and Israel and the songs played the most on the juke box were sailing by rod Stewart and living thing by elo an amazing holiday sad to see her go

Author:
amanda booth (nee millington )
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 13:09:33 11/07/14 Fri

Adding my email address to my previous post should anyone remember me

Subject: Med school cruise nov 81

Author:
Lesley
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 13:20:51 08/22/14 Fri

I went on SS Uganda with the gleed school spalding in nov 1981, we flew to Italy to board the ship, visited Greece, Jerusalem, Bethlehem, Cyprus, Yugoslavia , Egypt, we ending up in Malta where we flew home from, I would love to hear from anyone who went on that cruise.

Replies:
Subject: Derbyshire school cruises, 1980 &1982

Author:
Sarah Townsend (ne: Hudston)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 19:37:32 06/04/07 Mon

I was extremely lucky to go on 2 cruises on SS Uganda. The first was in Dec 1980 and I was 13. The trip was memorable mainly because we sailed through the worse storm the Med' had seen in 25 yrs. It was very scarey, 45ft waves hitting the ship, water pouring in and down into the dorms. The following day we were told that the ship had lost all radio contact and we were drifting with the sea.We did get back on course, but had to miss going to Egypt.
We got an extra day in Israel and then sailed to Cyprus, where we ran aground and bent the ship's rudder!! This caused even more delays and we only had time then to go to Greece, missing out getting to Yugoslavia.

The second Derbyshire cruise in Dec 1982 was brilliant. We got to all the countries, including Egypt (at last!!),didn't see one storm and had a fantastic time.
As the ship was used during the Falklands war, we had to wait to see if we would be sailing, but as the war was over in the Autumn, Uganda was back in the educational business by December. We were very privileged to be given a slideshow of her time as a hospital ship during the Falklands crisis and we saw photos of images that the world never saw, such as a chinook helicopter trying to land on the tiny heli' pad built over the student swimming pool. Amazing!
The other poignant memory from this time was the inscriptions on the side of the lockers in the dorms'. They were left by soldiers recovering from the war and a lot had stuck remembrance day poppies next to them as well. Both British and Argentine soldiers were treated side by side on Uganda and the things they had written on the lockers showed that they had huge respect for each other.

Other memories are: the awful smell in the canteen and the inedible food (we lived on Mars bars); Action Man the entertainment officer; dressing up as anything you could for the fancy-dress night, just so that you got a glimpse of 'carpet land', where the paying passengers lived; filmshows; the head-masters lectures; the list is endless.

It was and still is the best 2 weeks of my life. I made lots of new friends and got to see some amazing coutries. I am only sorry that Uganda has gone, but not from our memories or our hearts.

Replies:
Subject: SS Uganda cruise March 1975 Piraeus, Yalta, Istanbul, Delphi

Author:
Sue Stanley (Hitchcock)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 18:22:13 12/08/14 Mon

So excited to find this forum!
I was on the 1975 educational cruise leaving from Pireaus, visiting Yalta, Istanbul, Trabzon (Turkey), Delphi, Mykonos. I was from Bosworth Community College, Desford in Leicester and there were just 2 others on the trip from that school - Lynn Sedgely and Carol Upward - where are you now??
We made friends on board with 2 girls and a boy, Dave, from another Leicester school, and had some great laughs.
I have miraculously just found my diary from the trip. It's brought back all the old memories, good and bad! I remember being quite homesick and sea-sick and having to take to my bunk bed on more than one occasion.
I was in Nansen dormitory.
I'd love to hear from anyone else on that trip.

Subject: I think 1974

Author:
Jane
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 19:47:59 10/20/13 Sun

I went on the SS Uganda, I think in 1974, we flew to Athens,and got on the boat at Piraeus. We stopped at Delphi, Mykonos, Istanbul, Trabzon, Yalta,& Dubrovnik (Not sure of the order). There was a 'Matron' on the ship that woke us in the morning clucking like a chicken and patrolled at night in case we tried to get to the boys dormitories. I do remember strict instructions not to buy ouzo in Greece so naturally every one did and there was a lot of vomiting going on on board after the Mykonos stop. - was anyone elso on that cruise.

Replies:
Subject: SS Uganda School Cruise Mar/Apr 1975

Author:
Catherine
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 00:08:53 08/27/14 Wed

Hi anyone remember the school cruise Mar/Apr 1975 starting in Athens, going to Istanbul, all round the Black Sea including Yalta and other places and then on to Mykonos and other places, then Dubronik where we flew back home. lovely memories.

Replies:
Subject: 1980

Author:
Bev Nutland
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 13:39:09 09/15/10 Wed

I was with a group from Buckler's Mead School in Yeovil - at the begining of 1980, possibly May/June time.
We landed at in Athens by Monarch Air from Gatwick (where whilst waiting for our flight found Bob and Paula Geldof!!)
the rest of our trip took us to Jerusalem and the wailing wall, Turkey, split in what was then Yugoslavia, Venice and Izmir ... couple of other places too.

I have loads of memories of this trip some sad (one student drowned on a day excursion)and some very funny!!!

Remember 2 girls from Devizes "Lisa and Laura" and midnight feasts, tooth paste on glasses and the music piped to our dorms 1st thing in the morning to wake us up .... especially "white Rose of Athens" on our first day in port in Athens ... very funny captain!.
Food fight in the mess hall, and putting some gloopy stuff along the edge of the food tray, because if anyone remembers - we had to slide the tray through a very small gap to the kitchen hands on the other side who snatched them sooo fast that you didn't have time to let go! lol

I also remember having a school work book that should have been done in "lessons" on board .... which I never opened, but kept for years!!!

It would be good to hear other stores from this trip too.

Good times

Bev

Replies:
Archives: 12 ]

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a new public message:
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Choose Message Icon: [ View Emoticons ]

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

Get a free Giffgaff Sim

SS Uganda log Speedcoin Cryptocurrency Misc Uganda Stuff

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT+0
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2012 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.