VoyForums

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 1234567[8]9 ]
Subject: Fr. Robert Plews Laka, Please Answer............

Author:
Corner Man.
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: Thu, Feb 01 2007, 12:55:05pm

Fr. Robert Plews Laka,

Why, why, why have you dodged yourself in this famous subject of yours that has kept authors and readers debating for a couple of months now, “Can Tribal Fight be Eradicated Once and For All? (In Enga).

You see, Max & Kembol just pushed you a little over the edge, and to me, surprisingly you’ve beyond reasonable doubt, lost it. I read with plain disturbance, that is, your response to Max & Kembols comments (Tue, Jan 30 2007, 01:31:50pm). Fr, you’ve involved yourself in trouble fights, and as you’ve mentioned, I quote, “If you ask me to go to the frontier of the fight, (yanda nengge), well mind you Max, I have. I have received arrows and bullets. I have experienced what tribal fight is”. Dear or dear, Fr, now you might be able to tell us a few interesting facts that I will set out as a questionnaire for you.

1. Why did you get to the frontier of the tribal fight?
2. Was it compulsory that you involve your self in such?
3. Your involvement, was it to prove some state of personal ego or status cementation in your tribe?
4. Was the reason, because someone you treasured, a brother, sister, father, uncle etc. was involved?
5. What was your drive, your stamina, your personal justifications (in this case, when being educated) concerning the problem at hand?
6. What was the ‘one thing’ that was in you mind when skipping in the front of arrows & bullets being exchanged, ‘I don’t care if I die’ or ‘If I kill any of the opposing enemy, I’ll be satisfied’

The final seventh question is, could you please form a matrix (entirely guided by you experiences) from the above six questions and as being the original author of this far-famed topic “Can Tribal Fight be Eradicated Once and For All? (In Enga)” and tell us all what the possible solution is. (Note: Your experience in the tribal fight that you state to have involved yourself in plays a vital role in the solution you will at least expose).

Anonymous authors have posted all kinds of solutions to this prolonged series in this wonderful forum making the forum very tedious and I am quite confident and not ashamed to say that this particular topic of discussion can at least be put to rest by the original author, yourself.

Corner Man.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
[> Subject: Re: Fr. Robert Plews Laka, Please Answer............

Author:
RPLaka, SVD (My respons, Corner Man)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Thu, Feb 01 2007, 05:15:23pm

Corner Man,

I appreciate your question, but let me correct you kaim, that nobody dodged off after posing the said topic in this forum, mind you kaim, I haven’t. Besides, I have noted points expressed by like minded and concern people. But take note, this may be my subject as you said, but his is not my solution alone, rather a collective one; yours and mine. It is not a matter of imbayanya pyaan pen ongo pii, rather, apa pyo pimbana pii. To name a few, engalenge and pngean and others have shared collective ideas that would at least give US, no me, BUT US, some ideas on how we can come up with a solution. You yourself negated awareness campaign even suggested a socio-ethical studies involving NGOs and other study groups concerning the matter. This I suppose would be categorized under the anthropological studies in social science research traditions. Well, I agree with this suggestion, but if you suggest this to be taken off from a scientific study stand point, then, I suppose one has to come up with a hypothesis which would qualify for the result from a social science perspective.

More so, as you have mentioned and I quote “I am sure it's not a political or personal fare. It is obviously a Spiritual matter that has Complex Links to the Physical Ethno-Egotistic Attitude of Engan Ancestral Ethnicity (Super-hereditary Status). Solely, Politics(al) involvement has made it even worse in the yesteryears”. Well, I guess, you have to prove this claim of yours if you take it from a Spiritual matter with its like to physical ethno-egotistic attitude.

If we look at the cause of the existing problem, you and I will agree that there are numerous factors. Nowadays, almost anything is leading to tribal fighting, starting from pigs, dogs, cats, tress ending up with human lives. All these appear to be motivating factors leading to the existing problems. Any little things seem to have kinas and toeas attaching to them.

Kaim, I have expressed an issue that would trigger ways in which each one of us, could collectively come up with something that would help us heal the wounds of division that has been with us for decades. True enough, as expressed by others in this forum, that tribal fight has been with us and we have grown up with this. But the question I asked myself is that: Do we really have to resolve to tribal fighting as a means to an end if something aggravates? Do we? Do I really have to take someone’s life because he/she has provoked me? I mean, there are other ways to resolve the conflict, why tribal fight.

I guess, as Engans we all grew up in the mentality: Emba pii kande, ba iringi pyap, the eye for an eye school of though we inherit from our village elders and of course our parents, I suppose. Well, I agree that it is with IN us. However, I wonder if there is any other way in which we, Educated Engans would say: pii kande, kapala kayap. Can we propose ways to educate our own people, the consequences of tribal fight? How far can we go if we live like this, revenge and vengeance for vengeances?

Corner man, if you have read the CONTENTS of Max & Kembol’s critique, I guess you may have had a glimpse of what they are see as if educated ones are collecting materials for MA and PhDs or what have you. More so, softly, rather indirectly proposing stumbling blocks towards achieving peace in a collective way. (I may be wrong). If that is what you have presumed, then I guess you could have been wrong in my responses to them. Please re-visit this forum and read ALL the articles I have written concerning this matter and you will know what I am sharing.

Now to your questions. I don’t think you would need 6 different answers to your six questions. I will answer them in one paragraph.

Being involved in a tribal fight and receiving arrows and bullets does not necessarily mean that I was there to avenge looses nor support my tribe to fight. Being in the frontier of A tribal fight was for me to retrieve the wounded in the battle field from being slaughtered (and I guess you know what I mean here) and as a peace maker. I being a priest could not just let my people die in my eyes. I am trained not to let such things happen when I am present at the site. I know what yanda nenge is. That is why I mentioned in my response to Kembol and Max that, I wouldn’t mind even loosing my life to save the other from slaughtered in an animalistic way.

To your seventh question: As I have suggested, you could read some of the sharing I have posted in this forum, plus the others who have shared their precious times contributing something worth noting. I have appreciated the individuals who have shared their ideas and mind you, I am personally contacting them through telephone, (Including the late Anderson Aipit). Besides, by being out of the country, it seems that I could not work alone on the said topic when I am consumed with other academic requirements meeting deadlines. If you wish to jot in any suggestions, please visit this group:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/enga_yandakai/manage

Finally, the topic may die or put to rest in this forum, (let it be if you want it so) but the wishes and longing for peace in Enga for the generations to come will never die. It needs people like you, me, Kembol, Max and others to put this to an end once and for all for the good of our children that are yet to be born and those born already. Our Enga would need people like you and me for our children of tomorrow to walk freely without fleeing for their lives or walking around their beloved neighborhood with fear.

Peace to you kaim,

Fr. Robert Plews Laka, SVD

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[> [> Subject: Direct correlation between tribal fights and crime

Author:
Kembol the Klever
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Fri, Feb 02 2007, 07:35:08am

The fewer tribal fights that occur result in more crime. Therefore increase tribal fights and decrease crime.

[> [> [> Subject: Kembol (the Clever???) Your argument does not have any substance at all

Author:
Observer
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Fri, Feb 02 2007, 07:51:51am

KTK,

I do not find any substance in your arguments, at all.

Author:
Koni Kiakale (Weak arguments)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Fri, Feb 02 2007, 10:32:26am

Corner Man, Kembol and Max.

Fr. Robert raised an issue for ALL OF US TO CONSIDER and this IS NOT HIS CUP OF TEA alone. What is eating you all up to counteract this valid point which is worth considering?

This is the very Engan attitude that kills one an other, making him/herself feel as if he or she is great. Sorry, we don't go far, educated fools. Take note, not every priests would take initiative like but if Fr. Robert looks at this social phenomenon and asks to work "collectively" which means ALL OF US, then why counteract? He expresses his views as a genuine son of Enga.

Are you guys trying to express in this form the level of education you have achieved? If so then, what you have achived is nothing but full of..... You even cannot read in between the lines and express ANY, and I repeat, ANY constructive views regarding this problem we have.

For God's sake if you are educated as you may claim, then THINK EDUCATIONALLY like a civilized person, rather then making empty noise at the corner of this forum. You think you are someone, but mind you, you are just fools pretending to be someone. Such people never live long!!!

Kembol and Max, I think you twos are jealous of what Fr. Robert has achieved in his life as a priest and an academician to be. If jealousy regins in your heart, then you are the very uncivilized Engans causing tribal fights. I question the intergrity of the level of education you have achieved. Go back to your stone caves and leave this forum!!!!!

Konny Kiakale
New Zealand

[> [> Subject: Konny Kiakale

Author:
Kembol the Klever
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Sat, Feb 03 2007, 04:47:28am

Stone caves? Why, we never got to that stage in our development due to our anxiety over other tribes stealing our animals and our women. We never had the advantage of caves. We poor Engans had to fight for our survival and we did this by living in the trees. In this way we had height advantage over other cave dwellers. We even developed our own astronomy by continually gazing at the stars from our leafy canopies. Believe me, Konny, we Engans fought our way to the top of the canopy and who got to the top ended up being King of the Engans. This is why we value tribal fighting so much. It is because without tribal fighting there would be no trees. QED!
Don't listen to the priest.

[> [> [> Subject: Re: Konny Kiakale

Author:
Koni Kiakale (Grow up Kembol!!!)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Sun, Feb 04 2007, 07:25:03pm

Grow up Kembol.

You and sarisongster seems to be coming from the same hole.

Just empty tins making noise in this forum.

Fr. Robert, don't waste your words on him or like minded people. They are only stopping something important.

KKiakale

[> [> [> Subject: When I take power I will tie you to the songster

Author:
Kembol the Klever
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Mon, Feb 05 2007, 04:35:15am

I don't take to being compared to a squeaky school boy who has nothing better to do than to be a prankster. Looks like you've been suickered in by the songster. No great credit to you for that, dickhead.
I am running for election and when I win Wabag Open I will make sure that geeks like you are put away with the songsters and left to rot.

[> [> [> [> Subject: Re: When I take power I will tie you to the songster

Author:
Luke the Puke
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Mon, Feb 05 2007, 06:20:18am

You taking the Kembol's name in vain? Maski!

[> [> [> [> [> Subject: Become a Lutheran and be saved

Author:
Lutheran Lenny (God is a Lutheran)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Mon, Feb 05 2007, 06:24:08am

You will be saved if you give up greed. Make Lutheran Chrch your home. Love God. Vote 1 for God.

[> [> [> [> Subject: Re: When I take power I will tie you to the songster

Author:
Koni Kiakale (See your doctor)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Mon, Feb 05 2007, 05:42:21pm

I will also run for the Wabag Open. I will use MY MONEY, you will use the people's money you stole while in office, if you are this real Kembol that I know. But if you are serious, think logically and constructive. Why do you go for tribal fight if you are to run for the election? This is THE very weakness on you to tolerate that.Wake up, you are in the 21st centuary, no longer in the 1950s or 1980s. If you are hiding behind pen name, then you are childish. Your own words swallow your pride, small boy. You and sari songster share the same childish logic. The songster is suffering from the symtoms of Obssesive Compulsive Dissorder while you would might be experiencing Stockholm Syndrome maybe from tribal fights. Check your doctor and argue logically.

Koni Kiakale.

[> [> [> [> [> Subject: Defamation on public forums ends up in court

Author:
Kembol the Klever
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Tue, Feb 06 2007, 04:11:19am

You have made one very serious mistake and that is to defame me. You have publicly stated that I stole money while I was in office. Do you have proof? Can you restate this claim on the steps of the Ipatas building? Are you prepared to repeat your defamation in public and in front of me and my wantoks?

Author:
Cool_Guy1
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Tue, Feb 06 2007, 09:17:22am

I believe the topic for discussion was a genuine one, the very thing that is making our province go back-wards. However, the branches that sprout from the original thread are somewhat personal, political, defamatory, malicious and most of all primitive and un-intellectual, coming from minds that are not well developed.

It is rather sad to see educated Engans cant see the need to step and try to stop our own brothers killing each other, rather than buying guns for our own brothers to kill each other and die. Now, if you look at the current trend of fighting in the province, educated people are supplying the guns to our village brothers and sisters.

I know there are learned brains out there who are pride driven when they purchase guns for our tribesmen. They feel big when they buy guns, but, the fact of the matter is, his action contributes to the death of his own brother.

So you see, if i am not wrong in picking up some lines in the threads that are posted, about learned people who satisfy their ego by supplying guns to their own people.

The original thread had substance and the topic is of interest to the province because, tribal fight affects a lot of things. Tribal fight permeates to the rest of the society. Businesses get burnt down, serivces dont get through, and most of all productive people die instead of working the land to support the village economy moving. I would say, tribal fight is one of the most important topics of discussion for the province, unless you are still in your mothers womb, enclosed and cant see the reality that is affecting our society.

If you are a learned Engan, you and i should not condone tribal fight, rather be an advocate of peace and harmony. Learned brains that dont want to be advocates of peace become the major stumbling blocks of a society. If you feel your brain cant comprehend such discussions, please refrain so that those who are concerned about the issue can discuss.

And one other thing, Jealousy is a big stumbling block for building block for our province. One Engan Excelling in edcuation, going up to the level of PHD should not bring niggling feelins in our brains, we should be proud of an Engan son reaching the skies.. "If you feel that you and inside outside Engan" then an Engan Excelling in business or Education should make you feel proud of such achievements, thats the spirit that will build Enga. If the niggling feeling starts to enter your heart, mind and soul because of someones achievement, than check yourself properly, maybe you are Engan outside but a foreigner inside.

Cool_Guy1

[> [> Subject: Re: Fr. Robert Plews Laka, Please Answer............

Author:
Alupee (Thank you cool_guy1)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Wed, Feb 07 2007, 01:11:26am

Kaim cool guy1.

Thank you for your comment on the thread on tribal fight in this forum. You have nailed it well. I can't understand why educated engans couln't take this seriously then to make comments that are even unthinkable. Please guys, think big!

Fr. Robert, you are right. This is not your bread and butter alone and I salute you for the topic. Very true, this is not your solution but our solution. We need to put our heads together for "our children of now and tomorrow". Hope your superiors do not kick you out of priesthood for involving yourself in village matters. Watch your back always, kaim, pasere.

Alupee

[> [> [> Subject: Lutheran teachings answer our questions on tribal fights

Author:
Lutheran Lenny (God is Above)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Wed, Feb 07 2007, 04:48:53am

There is a solution that is clear for us to see and that is our all loving saviour Jesus. It is in the Bible that tribal fights do not serve the interests of humanity. But our church teaches that if you are threatened you are obliged to defend yourself and to punish the agressor. Kembol can be taken seriously if we consider this interesting news. Tribal fights can actually serve the Lord. During tribal fights God takes over sometimes and exacts His Almighty revenge on sinners. Tribal fighting can be God's way of clearing the rubbish of Satan.
So be aware that God works in strange ways and tribal fights can also help God help us to survive by alarming us to the fact that we are sinners.

Author:
Cool_Guy1
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Wed, Feb 07 2007, 08:44:20am

where in the bible does it say that tribal fight is a way God uses to get rid of sinners? We arent living the Old testament days when eye for an eye became a norm.

If you are refering to the Israelites, when God fought on their side, winning victories against enemies, then you are mistaken.

Jesus the Son of God came to bring peace, even Prophet Isaiah professied about a saviour who would come to this earth. When he does come, Sheeps and wolf will lye side by side. And the bible was fullfilled when Jesus came and died for us. Jesus died peacefully, he never had any grudges against anyone. He was trying to show us that Peace should prevail, rather than hatred. His first words when he rose from the death were, "Peace be with you".

Now your point of God using tribal fight to rid sinners, does not have any basis in the scripture.

Discipline brings maturity. Knowing how to handle rough and tough situations peacefully makes disciplines a person and in fact mature. So you see, knowing how to solve a problem makes a person more mature.

If you look at a tree that grows at the side of a river. Because of current of the river, it feels threatened, so what it does is make sure it firmly grips the ground where-ever it can find. Current may become stronger, but the tree in its bid to survive adjusts itself by, making sure its root digs in further so that it will still stand. Those tree when you put a axe to it, your axe will bounce back because the trees are toughened by the current.

Problems toughen a person when the person knows how to solve it. Knowing how to solve problems is crucial. If violence becomes a problem solving tool, the person hasnt grown mature but gave into the problem. Almost all tibal fights have peaceful solutions, however, people take the easy way out by Fighting.

This in a way goes deep down to the roots of our tradition and culture where we tend to depend on our immediate relatives for major decisions rather than making decisions based on what we feel is right for us as individuals. Maybe that contributes to the problem of tribal fights.

Now, my point was, the more we give into fighting as a weapon for solving problems, the more chaotic and immature people will become. There are peaceful solutions available. If sought, it makes a society more stable and peaceful.

Cool_Guy1

[> [> Subject: Where is the good Jesus when the fighting kills

Author:
Kembol the Klever
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Fri, Feb 09 2007, 08:07:41am

Your sweet Jesus disappears whenever we get together to fight. I never hear him tell us to stop. Where are the missionaries when blood flows? Forget the religion nonsense and get down to basics. Why do we fight? You all have missed this vital point. Use your intelligence and come to grips with this perplexing notion.

Author:
pngean
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Fri, Feb 09 2007, 04:55:54pm

I have been following this thread for some time.

I have been a victim of tribal fights and I just do not want this practise to continue. I also realise that the work will not be easy. It will take years of hard work and maybe 2-3 generations before tribal fighting is stopped, minimized, managed etc. Or it may never be eradicated at all.

But at least I want to do what I can to stop it in my life time.

I salute the good priest for bringing up this topic for discussion. Thats a start. We discuss about politics, economics and the laws but I think tribal fighting should be up there too. Yes, tribal fighting had a place and significance when our great great ancestors were alive. But in this day and age, tribal fighting has no place. It will continue to stay if we allow it. If we do not want it, than we can stop it once and for all. Maybe some people benefit directly or indirectly from tribal fights but let us not forget that some one else also suffers. For me, I do not want to benefit from the suffering of others.

Some of us think that tribal fighting can be stopped. And there are others who think that tribal fighting can not be stopped, and you have your own reasons. Thats ok.

But if we all agree on one thing first, and that is TRIBAL FIGHTING IN ENGA IS BAD!! Than I think if we come together and try and find solutions, we may suprised ourselves by actually succeeding! As the common saying goes - two heads are better than one.

Anway, if any Engans is serious and want to at least start something to try and stop tribal fighting in Enga, join this yahoo group - http://groups.yahoo.com/group/enga_yandakai/

and we can discuss this issue further.

I had a pakistani friend who once told me something which his father told him when he was a boy - 'if you want to do something in life, just go ahead and do it. You will only find out out if you can or not by trying'.

There is a big organization growing rapidly in PNG now - its called NATO - no action, talk only. So my engouragment is, let us not join this NATO group in PNG. Let us not only talk the talk but walk the talk as well!

peace out

pngean

[> Subject: The Solution is to be Change Agents

Author:
KLagaipT3
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Fri, Feb 09 2007, 09:53:51pm

Thank you, Father Robert Laka for your deep insight and philosphical logic against tribal fights! I have always believed in taking an arrow or bullet for another. Mind you, it may be mere words, but from where these words spring from is of no importance and varies from one brethren to another!

We, as educated students, village leaders or whatever role we legitimately take on in society, we should be willing to carry this burden of responsibility. People should be reminded time and time again until the end of time that "working hard" will earn you a better living, and fighting will shorten one's lifespan and productivity.

I do my best to help my people everyday. So far, I have purchased 2 Toyota Dynas for entrepreneurs trying to make a living back in Laiagam. And I am glad to say they make a good living as recognized leaders and businessmen partly because of my meager contribution. The onus is on us internet users to do something for our people whether it be through awareness or technical assistance. I see no other way unless any of us choose to pursue politics for a greater and more effective change!

KLagaipT3............
February 9th, 2007

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
* Message subject (required):

* Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Choose Message Icon: [ View Emoticons ]

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

Forum timezone: GMT+10
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2017 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.