VoyForums

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 1234567[8]9 ]
Subject: Shame on you - Don Polye!! -

Author:
Reed
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: Wed, Mar 21 2007, 07:49:05pm

Contractor hits back at Polye over road project

DEPUTY Prime Minister Don Polye’s attack on the K36 million road project in the capital city has been met with a fiery response by the owner of the company contracted to carry out the job.
On Monday, Mr Polye told reporters he believed the road deal was illegal and the contract should be cancelled.
He described it as a waste of money, adding it was “stealing from taxpayers”.
But Francis Awesa, owner of Global Construction, hit back yesterday, describing Mr Polye as a “whinger” who did not know what he was talking about.
Mr Awesa said Global tendered for the project in 2003 and won it as the lowest bidder, but the National Capital District Commission shelved the project because it didn’t have the money.
He said NCDC approached them this year to review the price, and Global responded.
He said the contract price was justified because of substantial increase in fuel costs, the cost of relocating water and sewerage pipes, and PNG Power light poles, and the earthworks.
He said it was wrong to say the road was 1.8km. He said the six lanes made the total length 10.8km which would be a landmark highway for the city.
Mr Awesa said city residents living in Morata, Gerehu, Waigani, and Tokarara had complained about road congestion, and the project would ease that problem.
“I question Mr Polye’s motive for coming out like that, especially after only two weeks ago he said national companies did not have the expertise to undertake large scale work in PNG.
“What is he whinging about?”
He said proper tender procedures were followed and no laws were broken.
“He is questioning what school of economics Vele (governor Wari Vele) went to come up with this project; well I ask what school of engineering of economics Mr Polye went to in order to pump K600 million to the Sepik provinces. What is his justification and where is his cost/benefit analysis?”
He said Mr Polye should also justify how K27 million was spent in the Southern Highlands province in nine months (under State of Emergency), with a considerable amount of it going to a hire car firm.
Mr Awesa said Mr Polye was behaving like a “puppet for the Sepiks” and challenged him to cancel the K36 million contract.
He claimed Global was not the only highlands company that Mr Polye was against, as it was Mr Polye who blocked Wamp Nga Group’s foray into shipping.

cpy & Pasted
thenational
Wednesday March 21, 2007

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
[> Subject: Re: Shame on you - Don Polye!! -

Author:
sisco
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Fri, Mar 23 2007, 10:18:23am

he is an arrogant anyway!!!

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[> Subject: Re: Shame on you - Don Polye!! -

Author:
Mad Max
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Thu, Mar 29 2007, 10:38:11pm

I'm not questioning the legality of awarding the K26 million road project but what does worry me that whether or not have they got their priorities right.I would'nt go spending that kind of money on a ridiculous 6 lane 1.8 km road,what for? only a fraction of the people own an automobile,bulk of the people can get-by on foot if push comes to shuff. People need medical drugs and better hospitals,kids need educational facilities and equipment,institutional reforming and resourcing,like justice,law and policing.
Im from Wapenamanda and I do admire Don for his courage and transparency, I whole heartedly agree with him..no shame whatsoever..."Think again buddy"

Mad Max.

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
* Message subject (required):

* Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Choose Message Icon: [ View Emoticons ]

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

Forum timezone: GMT+10
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2017 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.