VoyForums
GIVE FREE FOOD
www.TheHungerSite.com
-> Click Here <-
Fund Free Mammograms with a Click
www.TheBreastCancerSite.com
-> Click Here <-
Non-profit ad served by VoyForums...

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 1234567 ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: 16:58:33 01/31/17 Tue
Author: Deadline USA
Subject: Steigerwald breaks major Steelers story other media hid

John Steigerwald broke a major story about Steelers coaches acting like maniacs at high school football games, it is all over the national sports now.
The problem is this story was out there two weeks ago, I saw the local high school sports writers for PG and Trib allude to it on twitter then but they declined to expand on it when asked.

Why?

Why did the PG and Trib protect the Steelers coaches?
Why did a Washington, PA and Indiana, PA paper have to break this story?

Is the local sports media really so terrified of the Steelers?

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:

[> Re: Steigerwald breaks major Steelers story other media hid -- PGHSports Report, 05:01:41 02/01/17 Wed [1]

All the local sports media knew exactly what was going on but buried the story. And people in the media wonder why the public has no respect for them anymore?

Why did Tomlin, who lives in the city, send his kids to a high school (Cardinal Wuerl North Catholic High School) with a lousy football reputation 30 minutes away in the suburbs? He could have easily enrolled them literally down the street at Central Catholic, one of the best high school football programs in the entire country?

And now that John Steigerwald dared write about it he is being attacked by the Steelers stooges in the local media.

Mike White, PG high school sports reporter, Jan 25th on Twitter:
https://twitter.com/mwhiteburgh/status/824461174238543872
"N. Catholic no longer Steelers North. Mike Tomlin's two sons have transferred to Shady Side Academy. Joey Porter son, nephew to N. Allegheny"

https://twitter.com/mwhiteburgh/status/824461554401808388
"The Tomlin and Porter transfers after Jason Gildon was fired and Patrick O'Shea hired at NCaholic. Gildon's two sons now at North Allegheny."

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[ Edit | View ]

[> Re: Steigerwald breaks major Steelers story other media hid -- Bladed Wedge, 05:18:18 02/01/17 Wed [1]

The media, both print and over the air, protects the Steelers so they don't lose access to the team. I really think that is all that it is. The Steelers and the Rooneys have risen to a point where they are above criticism. It takes a rogue, cranky, retired sports reporter to report it in some back country paper.

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> Re: Steigerwald breaks major Steelers story other media hid -- Gasbag Central, 18:08:13 02/01/17 Wed [1]

What "news" is there here? Was anybody arrested? Anybody getting sued? Any actual public, written down complaint? Parents being dicks during high school games is not new and is hardly endemic to Porter or Tomlin. Porter getting arrested on the Southside? News and broken as it happened. This isn't "news." There's got to be a line somewhere between their public lives and their private lives. And if going into a locker room and bitching about the refs is news, or making a (legal) ass out of yourself during a game your kids are playing is news then the local section would be stuffed with this crap ever damn day.
I mean, it's not like there's footage of strippers pissing on a future president.

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> Re: Steigerwald breaks major Steelers story other media hid -- Bladed Wedge, 07:05:42 02/02/17 Thu [1]

The local news isn't stuffed with that crap every day because no one would care if it was just an average parent. But, this was the Steeler's coach and his out of control buddy. I think that makes it somewhat newsworthy. Isn't an NFL coach supposed to be some kind of leader and be better than this?

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> Re: Steigerwald breaks major Steelers story other media hid -- Wrong, 14:15:20 02/02/17 Thu [1]

The police confirmed that they were needed to remove Joey Porter from the field. The opposing coach confirmed he was on the field and got a penalty. This is indeed news and if you are a public figure and you are out in public, you don't get to make this distinction that it is private time. Porter is a clown and an embarrassment to the Steelers.

[ Edit | View ]

[> Re: Steigerwald breaks major Steelers story other media hid -- The Cheap Seats, 16:34:49 02/01/17 Wed [1]

You answered your own question. The media is this town have protected the Steelers my entire lifetime. ( Im 50).

When Arians was canned as OC and the team announced he " retired", name me one media member who took the Steelers to task for lying when Arians came out a month later saying he did not retire. Im surprised there were even vague references to it on twitter.

It took a semi-retired media guy who doesnt give a darn if he ticks off the Steelers to break a story that should have been reported two months ago by the PG or Trib.

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> Re: Steigerwald breaks major Steelers story other media hid -- Scott, 18:37:28 02/01/17 Wed [1]

The Arians "retirement" was greeted with skepticism the day it was announced.

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2012/01/21/Steelers-offensive-coordinator-Bruce-Arians-officially-retires/stories/201201210169

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> Re: Steigerwald breaks major Steelers story other media hid -- The Cheap Seats, 20:08:05 02/01/17 Wed [1]

Skepticism is a little bit different than outright criticism by saying they lied. No one, not Cook, Smizik, Savran, Collier, etc called them out for not just saying we wanted to go in a different direction. Its their team - their right to make decisions they feel is best for them. So say that instead of declaring a coach retired as opposed to just deciding to not renew his deal.

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> Re: As Far as Steelers are Concerned, nothing happened! -- Former PGer, 19:08:42 02/01/17 Wed [1]

Mike White did a follow on Steigerwald's expose. In it, Jason Gildon, predictably, kissed up to Tomlin and had nothing to say about Porter. Art Rooney II, predictably, declined comment, but wasn't smart enough to leave it at that. He added that it's hard to comment on something that consists of nothing but unnamed sources! Using that logic, Nixon did nothing wrong and there was no Watergate coverup. I wonder if Deep Throat was a Steelers fan?

This issue of the local media covering the Steelers' behind when there's "bad off-the-field news out there" is not new. The Rooneys have pretty much received a free pass by the Pgh media since they became relevant (winners) in the early 1970s. To the media's credit, it's often very difficult to get the facts because local officials, cops are for the most part in the Steelers' back pocket. That doesn't excuse the media for failing to dig harder. And, there are some out there who have tried in years past.

Art II and his father, Dan, love to say their team operates under the coe of "the Steelers way." They intend that to mean they operate the right way, their methods are above reproach. In reality, the Steelers way is often little more than keep the lid on a can of worms. A dirty can that nobody in the Pittsburgh media has ever bothered to take a look at with a critical eye. The rationale, at least partially, is that nobody in Pittsburgh is interested in reading such a story.

The Steelers have owned this town since they became respectable on the field in the early 1970s. Like Trump, they don't need to spent money of advertising. Think about it, when was the last time you ever say or heard a Steelers ad in the local papers or tv? I don't remember any -- ever.

The Steelers Way? Me thinks it means circle the wagons and say nothing when the off-the-field dirt hits the fan. And, when circumstances demand the team take action, dump the offending player, (think Santonio Holmes), unless its the QB, who is much more difficult to replace. When Big Ben is involved (either hustling young women in the off season or being banned from various Southside bars and restaurants for boorish behavior and repeatedly failing to pay his tab), go back to Rule 1 and circle the wagons and take the phone off the hook when the media calls. It will all blow over, eventually. It always does in this town.

It was not the PG or the Trib who exposed Ben's boorish ways on the Southside. Rather it was the City Paper. I've been a regular reader of the City Paper since.

White: http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2017/02/01/mike-tomlin-north-catholic-pittsburgh-steelers-joey-porter-police-incident-jason-gildon/stories/201702010260

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> Re: Steigerwald breaks major Steelers story other media hid -- A Joke, 05:25:40 02/02/17 Thu [1]

I think your quote -- "they don't need to spent money of advertising" -- pretty much shoots down your theory of the local media having to kiss ass to retain access. That's promulgated every time there's some kind of dumbass story thrown out there that the locals are allegedly burying.
Seriously, what's here? Joey Porter was penalized during a game. OK, that's a problem. But smoking a cigar? Standing in front of a fence? Cursing? This sounds like dirty laundry from another pissed off parent. Sounds to me like Ol' Steigy fell for the big one because it's easy to stir up interest with an expose on standing in front of a fence. (Aren't there bleachers at North Catholic?)
Just stupid stuff that's only a story now because it involves Steelers.
Why didn't the author quote any of the many NC players who tweeted that Tomlin is barely heard from at games?

[ Edit | View ]

[> Re: Steigerwald breaks major Steelers story other media hid -- Protect the hypocycloids, 18:53:28 02/01/17 Wed [1]

Mike White had the pushback story today in the PG, basically everyone denied everything.

[ Edit | View ]

[> Re: Steigerwald breaks major Steelers story other media hid -- Pat, 23:45:56 02/01/17 Wed [1]

If that's your idea of a "major Steelers story," I would have to question your news judgment. That's more like something that would have been fodder for "Whispers" back in the day.

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> Re: Steigerwald breaks major Steelers story other media hid -- A Joke, 08:24:07 02/02/17 Thu [1]

Aw, poor Steigy. He half-asses what could've been a decent story and it's the rest of the media that are shameful.

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> Re: Steigerwald breaks major Steelers story other media hid -- Big League, 14:29:46 02/02/17 Thu [1]

It's national sports news. That is a huge story, a big time major news story.

[ Edit | View ]

[> Re: Steigerwald breaks major Steelers story other media hid -- General Chaos, 05:21:58 02/02/17 Thu [1]

Attack!
Orders have been issued, the Pittsburgh sports media is to Attack! John Steigerwald.

They are focusing on one bit about Tomlin but missing the entire point about an out of control entitled staff and players.

[ Edit | View ]

[> Re: No further proof needed: Steelers have gutless PG in back pocket -- Former PGer, 05:25:58 02/02/17 Thu [1]

The Mike White follow on John Steigerwald's Tomlin/Porter story was put up on the PG Web site around 2 p.m. yesterday.

When I opened my PG this morning, the first thing I looked for was the White story. I was interested in seeing how SE Mike Sanserino played the story.

Much to my disappointment, the story was nowhere to be found in the newspaper. The PG chose to bury the follow on the Internet. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I went through the A, Local News and Sports sections twice. No White follow.

Would love to know if that was Sanserino's call, or was it made by some gutless editor above him? Either way, it was a defenseless move by the PG. Good newspapers don't behave like that.

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> Re: No further proof needed: Steelers have gutless PG in back pocket -- Still a PGer, 14:12:09 02/02/17 Thu [1]

Good newspapers do behave this way because something this trivial isn't news. As was already stated, this isn't something that happened on the field and no one got arrested. Maybe if the paper had a gossip section or was a tabloid it would have been worth printing.

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> Re: No further proof needed: Steelers have gutless PG in back pocket -- The Cheap Seats, 19:22:45 02/02/17 Thu [1]

Shouldnt NFL coaches have a behavioral standard to uphold at high school football games?

My kid played high school football 10 years ago -!the idiotic behavior of some parents over the years were not only ridiculous but embarrassing. To look at a guy making a fool of himself and think he coaches pro football is just as ridiculous. Not sure how this is trivial - if Im the Rooneys, Im appalled.

[ Edit | View ]

[> Re: Steigerwald breaks major Steelers story other media hid -- VJ3, 08:57:58 02/02/17 Thu [1]

Surprised no video has emerged from such jackassery.
No video. No named sources. Denials by the fired coach, the AD, the assistant coach. Players defending Tomlin on social media. Steigerwald with a history of yammering about Steelers behavior to an audience that actually believes the team pulls access for not promoting its agenda.
Yeah, great work.

[ Edit | View ]

[> Re: Steigerwald breaks major Steelers story other media hid -- Former DK subscriber, 15:49:03 02/02/17 Thu [1]

I personally have wanted Tomlin gone for years. Everything crazy old Bradshaw said about him is what I've been saying all that time so I'm no Tomlin supporter nor protecting the Steelers...

But this reeks of Steigy wanting attention again. Just like a few years ago when he made that ridiculous piece about if you wear game jerseys to a visiting ballpark you deserve what's coming. Does he have another book coming out soon that he needed to drum up name recognition again?

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> Re: Steigerwald breaks major Steelers story other media hid -- The Cheap Seats, 19:30:58 02/02/17 Thu [1]

Im not sure I see how this is Steigerwald making this about himself..

I can see this maybe being Steigerwald wanting to not only bring this to the public's attention but also it throws water on the guys who cover this team by showing they sat on info that doesnt portray two highly visible coaches in a good light because it never made publication.

Two NFL coaches acting in this manner, one being the HC, is news because they behaved like the posterior of a donkey. Why should they get a free pass?

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> Re: Steigerwald breaks major Steelers story other media hid -- Old & In The Way, 20:55:40 02/02/17 Thu [1]

Certain Steigerwalds came to a conclusion, long ago, that they WERE the media in Pittsburgh, especially when it comes to sports. Trouble is, they still think that's the case. The fact their days of dominance were over two decades ago seems lost on them. They still think they're relevant. The male, Pittsburgh sports equivalent of "Sunset Boulevard's" Norma Desmond

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> Re: Steigerwald breaks major Steelers story other media hid -- The NFL, 01:58:44 02/03/17 Fri [1]

What news was sat on?
And what exactly did Tomlin do?
Sounds like a story for the pros guy, and that's who did it.

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> [> Re: Steigerwald breaks major Steelers story other media hid -- The NFL, 13:16:38 02/03/17 Fri [1]

*preps guy

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> Re: Seeking attention, for the sake of attention? That's a reach -- Former PGer, 20:35:34 02/02/17 Thu [1]

John has been around forever, despite the lack of gray hair!! I'm sure even he has acquired some sources through the decades. In this case, I note an old saying that journalists have about old and/or mediocre reporters: "Even a blind squirrel finds an acorn once in awhile."

As far as seeking attention, that's what reporters, TV and print, do for a living. When they gain attention, that's good, cause it usually means they have delivered a good story. Just try to make sure you're never part of the story. In this case, all of the bricks being thrown at Steigerwald are unfair, until a credible firsthand witness comes forward and says it didn't happen.

I might have second thoughts on this if Tomlin and/or Porter say publicly it never happened. BUT, Mike White quoted a cop saying something DID happen so it's pretty certain that Tomlin and Porter will continue to follow the Steelers Way and say as little as possible. As I said above, these things alway blow over -- eventually.

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> Re: Steigerwald breaks major Steelers story other media hid -- Former DK subscriber, 10:29:44 02/03/17 Fri [1]

I didn't say he "made it about himself" I said he was craving attention. Big difference. Who outside of the industry and Indiana, PA knew where he was even writing now prior to this? This gets his name back in the spotlight. He's a topic again, must be ready to release a book.

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> Re: Steigerwald breaks major Steelers story other media hid -- NeverDKer, 19:32:42 02/03/17 Fri [1]

He does guest spots on radio multiple times a week and the Sunday night sports debate show.

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> Re: Steigerwald breaks major Steelers story other media hid -- Gasbag Central, 19:39:06 02/03/17 Fri [1]

Don't you find it odd that there apparently appears to be no actual video of any of this, in a stadium filled with hundreds of people, including teenagers who have their phones tethered to their hands so they can document every moment of their existence? Could it be because - while Porter may have gone half-Peezy on the police, it wasn't that big a deal. I'm pretty sure if Tomlin was making an ass out of himself on the sideline, somebody would have it, right?
Could it be that maybe - MAYBE - because even the teenagers realized what apparently Steigerwald did not ... THAT THIS IS NOT NEWS ...

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> [> [> Re: Steigerwald breaks major Steelers story other media hid -- Former DK subscriber, 09:15:19 02/04/17 Sat [1]

Not to mention that in this day of instant social media mob mentality outrage that nobody even heard of this until 2+ months after the HS season, and after the Steelers season, when things are quiet so attention seeker could get the most play out of this. The Peezy south side arrest was viral in just minutes.

[ Edit | View ]

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
Note: This forum is moderated -- new posts are not visible until approved.
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Note: This forum is moderated -- new posts are not visible until approved.

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-8
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2016 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.