VoyForums
[ Show ]
Support VoyForums
[ Shrink ]
VoyForums Announcement: Programming and providing support for this service has been a labor of love since 1997. We are one of the few services online who values our users' privacy, and have never sold your information. We have even fought hard to defend your privacy in legal cases; however, we've done it with almost no financial support -- paying out of pocket to continue providing the service. Due to the issues imposed on us by advertisers, we also stopped hosting most ads on the forums many years ago. We hope you appreciate our efforts.

Show your support by donating any amount. (Note: We are still technically a for-profit company, so your contribution is not tax-deductible.) PayPal Acct: Feedback:

Donate to VoyForums (PayPal):

Login ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678[9]10 ]
Subject: Court Orders Arrest of John Singh, Miss Tourism World President


Author:
http://allafrica.com/stories/200503030132.html
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 21:37:28 03/03/05 Thu

The Herald (Harare)
March 3, 2005
Posted to the web March 3, 2005

Harare

THE High Court yesterday ordered the arrest of John Singh, the president of the Miss Tourism World, after Michael Orji of Original Black Entertainment Television (OBETV) had filed an urgent application seeking an order to be paid US$200 000 by Singh.

OBETV did media consultancy for the Miss Tourism World pageant and was supposed to be paid 10 percent of the total licence fees.

The Zimbabwean Government paid Singh US$2 million as licence fees for holding the Miss Tourism World 2005 in the country.

Orji emphasised that the wrangle had nothing to do with the Miss Tourism World and the Zimbabwean Government but was between him and Singh.

He said efforts to promote Zimbabwean tourism were still on course.

According to the agreement between OBETV and Singh, a copy of which was shown to The Herald, the latter undertook to pay 10 percent of the total amount of fees charged and received from the host country.

Initially, High Court Judge Justice Antoinette Guvava, who presided over the case, had issued out a set down order to have Singh appear in court at 7 pm yesterday and make an undertaking that he would pay OBETV before he flew out of the country.

Singh was scheduled to leave Zimbabwe yesterday but was still in the country saying he had some meetings to attend.

But Orji's lawyer Aston Musunga of Musunga and Associates accompanied by High Court Deputy Sheriff, Kunze Everton, could not serve the order on Singh because he was nowhere to be found.

Singh could also not be located at his hotel room although he had not checked out formally.

The Deputy Sheriff served the papers on Singh's assistant Paul Gibson.

When reached for comment, Gibson, who was packing his bags, professed ignorance on Singh's whereabouts but said he had been with him five minutes earlier.

Speaking to The Herald on his mobile phone soon after the order had been granted, Singh said he was in a meeting and would be at his hotel in an hour's time.

Efforts to contact him later failed because his phone was not reachable although he was understood to have boarded a United Kingdom-bound British Airways plane at around 10pm last night.

The peagant was screened to millions of viewers across the world courtesy of Zimbabwe Television, M-Net and OBETV among others.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]


Post a message:
This forum requires an account to post.
[ Create Account ]
[ Login ]
[ Contact Forum Admin ]


Forum timezone: GMT-8
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.