VoyForums
[ Show ]
Support VoyForums
[ Shrink ]
VoyForums Announcement: Programming and providing support for this service has been a labor of love since 1997. We are one of the few services online who values our users' privacy, and have never sold your information. We have even fought hard to defend your privacy in legal cases; however, we've done it with almost no financial support -- paying out of pocket to continue providing the service. Due to the issues imposed on us by advertisers, we also stopped hosting most ads on the forums many years ago. We hope you appreciate our efforts.

Show your support by donating any amount. (Note: We are still technically a for-profit company, so your contribution is not tax-deductible.) PayPal Acct: Feedback:

Donate to VoyForums (PayPal):

Login ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12[3]4 ]

Welcome, share your ideas and concerns,

Subject: Online discussion with Merry Barua

Author:
autismconnect Team
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 17:37:49 03/27/02 Wed
(208-168-147-99.citynet.net/208.168.147.99)

Hello, here is the latest update to autismconnect:

1. Online discussion with Merry Barua (India)
2. News Headlines
3. Wish to unsubscribe?
4. How to change your email and/or topic selection

1. Online discussion with Merry Barua: On autismconnect
(www.autismconnect.org) Tuesday 2nd April at 20:00hrs India time (14:30 hrs GMT),
Merry Barua will be answering questions with relevance to developing
nations on topics regarding:
Services
Diagnosis
Early Intervention
Education Awareness
Biomedical approaches
General
(Please copy and paste the following web address into your
browser and convert to your time zone
www.timezoneconverter.com/cgi-bin/tzc.tzc).
Brief Biography

Merry Barua a former journalist and social activist, felt called to a
new vocation when faced by her son's autism. Initially devastated - she
rallied herself and looked for ways in which she could help find a way
out. Shocked by the abysmal level of awareness - leave alone
appropriate services - and the terribly negative and dismal prognosis that was
the lot of the over 2 million people with autism in the Indian
subcontinent - Merry went about educating herself, so she could find ways to
teach her son basic skills to function , communicate and interact with the
world - and then naturally progressed to helping others. She founded
what has become India's national organisation for autism - Action For
Autism (http://www.autism-india.org/) - a non profit NGO - that provides
training for parents and professionals and therapeutic and advocacy
services for the autistic community in India.

2. News Headlines - go to www.autismconnect.org to find out more
THIEVES STEAL RECORDS OF PARENTS WHO HAVE REJECTED MMR JAB ...
AUTISM CASES INCREASE EIGHTFOLD IN 15 YEARS IN NEW ZEALAND ...
MERCURY POISONING-AUTISM LINK? FIRST CASES HIT THE COURTS IN US ...
WHAT A PICTURE! TAPPING INTO VISUAL SKILLS OF PEOPLE WITH AUTISM - By
autismconnect Editor Adam Feinstein.

3. Wish to unsubscribe?

Only those that subscribe to autismconnect are added to this email list
which is usually distributed monthly. However, if you wish to
unsubscribe, RETURN this email and type unsubscribe in the subject.

4. How to change your email address and/or topic selection

If your email address has changed or you wish to change the
topics of interest, please go to: 'personal notice board' from the home
page and then to 'update registration details'.
Best wishes
autismconnect Team

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
Replies:
Subject: Cued Speech, Autism, and Deafness

Author:
New York Cued Speech Center
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 07:19:12 11/22/04 Mon
(24-193-107-49.nyc.rr.com/24.193.107.49)

A visual form of communication greatly supports children who are deaf or hard of hearing who are also on the autism spectrum. American Sign Language is often used, but cued speech is another visual option for families. Cued Speech is a sound-based system that visualizes the sounds of spoken languages with 8 handshapes and 4 placements around the face. Research suggests deaf and hard of hearing children with consistent exposure can read on grade level with their hearing peers. Feel free to get in touch with the center if you have additional questions or would like materials. Free workshops are offered the first Saturday of the month at Teachers College, Columbia University. Private instruction is also available.

Jennifer Bien, Director
nycuedspeechcenter@hotmail.com
www.geocities.com/nycuedspeechcenter/main.html
301-325-0746 (c)

Subject: Aspergers and Deafness

Author:
Sharon
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 21:49:20 10/18/03 Sat
(pool1059.cvx38-bradley.dialup.earthlink.net/216.244.34.39)

Does anyone know anything about both Aspergers Syndrom and being deaf. My child is being looked at for Aspergers. He is profoundly deaf and wears a cochlear implant. He would rather go without the implant as he is sound sensitive. I have been searching the internet on Aspergers as well as being deaf, but can't seem to find any thing on this. I assume it must be pretty rare to have both.

Replies:
Subject: Autism and Deafness

Author:
Irene Stevens
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 07:11:33 07/26/02 Fri
(yen.cc.strath.ac.uk/130.159.54.3)

I am a Scottish university lecturer looking for any information at all on Autism and Deafness. i cannot find anything and would be grateful for any help !

Yours, Irene Stevens

Replies:
Subject: DEAF AND Autistic

Author:
Holly
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 05:06:32 08/24/01 Fri
(proxy.ocps.k12.fl.us/168.184.200.166)

I would love to correspond with teachers, family members and/or other professionals living or working with persons who are both DEAF AND autistic.

I have worked with one little boy for several years who is profoundly DEAF. We suspect he is also HFA OR Asperger's but he has not been officially diagnosed. This year I got a new student in my class who is also DEAF. She has MANY of the same characteristics and a similar learning style.

If you have information and experiences to share PLEASE contact me.

-Holly

Replies:
Subject: Astrology and Autism

Author:
ASISH KUMAR DAS
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 04:29:16 07/16/04 Fri
(exvfl6.cm.chello.no/80.111.49.27)

Hi,

This link mentioned below provides an article on autism written from the astrological angle of view. You'll find the article in the page, "USES" of the site.

It's your exclusive decision to include the link, provided you think the link is useful for the purpose.

Thanks.

www.astroevent.com

Replies:
Subject: Goals and objectives for children that are hearing impaired/deaf and autistic

Author:
Michele Contestable
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 20:56:06 11/01/02 Fri
(host-66-81-141-79.rev.o1.com/66.81.141.79)

If anyone can help - we ar going through a tough IEP for our three year old regarding placement options,etc. They don't have any classes for the hearing impaired/deaf here in Chico, Ca at the pre-school level. We are sort of being made the exsample...................... Any helpful information would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You,

Michele

Replies:
Subject: Deaf Autistic with cochlear implant

Author:
rick
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 13:10:43 08/11/05 Thu
(NoHost/69.137.241.199)

My son was diagnosed as deaf at the age of 2 1/2. It was a complete suprise to us and to two speach therapists that were working with him at the time. We are certain he coluld hear at the age of two and wde are not sure waht caused the loss of hearing since he has a complicated medical history. We had noticed some odd behaviors, but noone had given us any indiaction of what was behind it.

We opted for a cochlear implant. When his implant was activated for the first time he reacted violently to the new sound input and refused to go anywhere near the device.

As he entered a preschool, his teachers suggested we have him tested. We found that he is autistic. No wonder he rejected the implant.

We met with a speech therapist that specializes in cochlear implants with special needs, especially autism. We worked to get him to wear the implant with no power and then very gradually increased the 'volume'.

Once we activated the implant we saw imediate behavior improvement. Small improvement, but improvement. As the private speech therapy and the preschool, K and 1st grade teachers ahve worked with him (signing, beahvior modification, speech etc), he has made great strides. We are now at 100% 'volume' and his hearing (speech recognition) is improving daily and he he starting to speak.

We just completed implant surgery in his other ear. We had noticed that he made attempts to 'block out' sound input from his non implanted ear. Our speech therapist and doctor felt that the little sound (130 Db) that he could hear in that ear was interferring with his speech recognition. We have not activiated his second implant yet and we are seeing improved speech and he no longer puts his hand over his ear to block out the distracting sounds.

I know implants are controversial in the deaf community and implanting autistic kids is rare. We chose the implants before we knew about the autism, but the results seem to be good for us. We are lucky to have a great support system: insurance to pay for the cochlear and speech therapy, a great speech therapist that is aware of the needs of autistic children and a very coperative school that is willing to work with us and our speech therapist to create a quality learning enviorment for our son.

I would like to hear from parents of autistic kids with implants.

Replies:
Main index ] [ Archives: 12[3]4 ]

Post a message:
This forum requires an account to post.
[ Create Account ]
[ Login ]
[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-8
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.