| Subject: Water merger study to continue |
Author:
Shawn
|
[
Next Thread |
Previous Thread |
Next Message |
Previous Message
]
Date Posted: 06:45:58 05/09/04 Sun
I missed the meeting (I can only think that these sort of meetings should be held in the evenings.. who has the time on a Saturday to spend it down there??? Of course, that's probably the intention).
They of course voted to ignore anything having to do with saving the ratepayers money (thats the CLT in me speaking), voted against adding new commissioners ("I can control three commissioners better than I can five," said William Pappas, current commissioner).
They did, however, allow the study to continue on looking at a merger:
"Voters also approved directing the board of commissioners to study a potential merger of the district with the Kenwood Water System, which is run by the town."
Doesn't sound like them.. wonder what form this "study" will take?
Water under the bridge?
By STEPHANIE COYNE
Sun Correspondent
DRACUT The town is one step closer to paying off Lowell for the $3 million of water stolen by a former water employee who tampered with a meter and allowed millions of gallons to flow into town free.
The Dracut Water Supply District was required to reimburse Lowell $1.5 million in a series of payments that began last year.
At the district's annual meeting yesterday, voters approved the transfer of $450,000 to make the second installment.
The infamous water scandal began when former Water District Superintendent Nickolas Lambros was caught stealing from Lowell in 1998.
Lambros was sentenced to three years probation and fined $25,000 after he pleaded no contest to the charges that he occasionally shut off the meter that kept track of water Lowell sold to Dracut.
The four-year legal battle ended with the settlement in late 2002 requiring that the district pay $1.4 million for the stolen water and about $100,000 for legal expenses.
In other business yesterday, voters defeated a motion by Chairman Robert Corey to expand the three-member board of commissioners to five seats.
"Five members make it much easier to make decisions," Corey said. "That's two new points of view two more people looking over the budget."
Voters shot down the idea with a standing vote of 49-16.
"I can control three commissioners better than I can five," said William Pappas, a Dracut resident and Dracut Water Supply District consumer. "I like three better then five."
Other warrant articles unanimously approved yesterday included an operating budget of $1.06 million for next fiscal year, a 3.9 percent increase over last year; $500 salary increases for water-district commissioners, and $75 inspection charges for all new automated underground sprinkler systems.
Several warrant articles were referred for further review, including amendments to:
Lower the base rate cost for 5,000 cubic feet of water from $210 to $200.
Increase the minimum yearly allowed cubic feet from 5,000 to 6,000 for a cost of $210.
Issue a conservation credit based on 20 percent of the base rate for consumers using less than the minimum allowable in a billing cycle.
Accept the booster pump station at Sarah Court under district control.
Voters also approved directing the board of commissioners to study a potential merger of the district with the Kenwood Water System, which is run by the town.
If the report is favorable, the matter will be placed before the voters in 2006 so the entire district can vote on the potential merger of the two town water suppliers.
Those articles will be studied by a committee and brought back again during next year's annual district meeting.
[
Next Thread |
Previous Thread |
Next Message |
Previous Message
]
| |