VoyForums
GIVE FREE FOOD
www.TheHungerSite.com
-> Click Here <-
Fund Free Mammograms with a Click
www.TheBreastCancerSite.com
-> Click Here <-
Non-profit ad served by VoyForums...

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 123456 ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: 06:56:46 03/03/16 Thu
Author: Garage Rocker
Subject: Cap'n Jim's Popeye Club

I remember when WIIC first came on the air. Until then, we only had two channels we could pick up, Channel 2 (KDKA) and Channel 9 (WSTV). I don't remember a lot about those days, but I remember being excited to see the Popeye cartoons. My mother dragged me along to the grocery store, and I BEGGED her to get canned spinach so I could be strong like Popeye. I remember being in the store, singing the Popeye song. I even begged for a corn cob pipe when I saw one at the checkout line so that I could use it to inhale my spinach. We got home and my mother served it for supper.

IT WAS NASTY! Canned spinach tasted AWFUL. I learned a valuable life lesson that day. I still watched the cartoons, but some of the magic was gone. As soon as Paul Shannon came on, I switched to the Three Stooges.

I also remember when the Popeye cartoons switched from Popeye dressed as a merchant sailor fighting Bluto for Olive Oyl, and the "in-between" cartoons from WWII where he switched to a Navy uniform and fought Japanese and Nazis, to the newest one ones where he wore a Navy uniform and fought Brutus. Those third generation cartoons were either really, really bad, or I had gotten too old for them.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
Note: This forum is moderated -- new posts are not visible until approved.
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Note: This forum is moderated -- new posts are not visible until approved.

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-8
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2017 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.