VoyForums
1 CLICK GIVES FREE FOOD!
www.TheHungerSite.com
Protect Habitat with a Click!
www.TheRainforestSite.com
Non-profit ad served by VoyForums...

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 1 ]

Miss Oregon Unofficial
Miss Oregon Unofficial
Welcome!

Subject: Klamath OT is this weekend! Taylor will attend, per her insta

Author:
No name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 19:04:26 11/15/18 Thu

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
Replies:
Subject: Can someone please explain The Sweetheart rule to me?

Author:
No name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 15:04:37 09/25/18 Tue

I’ve read here that Dhivali gave up her MAO eligibility when she entered Sweetheart, but I see 2 of her Sweetheart classmates have been earned local titles and seem to be competing in MAO on the local and state levels.... is this a state’s rights issue?

Replies:
Subject: Teri’s fb posts

Author:
No name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 09:45:28 11/15/18 Thu

Anyone know what these cryptic posts lately are about? I hope they’re not about Miss Oregon or the audit...very unprofessional.

Replies:
Subject: Is the Miss Washington County Pageant Gone?

Author:
No name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 11:28:31 11/12/18 Mon

Their website has been taken down, and their FB page just changed it's description to a tribute page, instead of a scholarship program? I'm officially worried.

Replies:
Subject: How are the locals doing? State page has the locals listed in pageant order, but Rogue Valley has not updated anything on their website or FB. Getting concerned

Author:
No name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 10:07:03 10/11/18 Thu

Replies:
Subject: Any Updates from the DOJ?

Author:
No name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 10:42:32 11/01/18 Thu

It's been a long time without an update....

Replies:
Subject: Does Oregon do something like California? (smaller scale of course) https://www.misscalifornia.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/10/mco_2019_fall_workshop-v3.pdf

Author:
No name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 19:35:23 10/04/18 Thu

Replies:
Subject: The dress ...

Author:
No name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 08:09:40 09/08/18 Sat

With where 2.0 is leading us, the brand this year seems to be less about body image (removing swimsuit) and more about who the woman is. With this in mind, why is the evening gown so drastically showing Taylor's breasts. Don't get me wrong she's beautiful, but because of her gown, I can't even enjoy her face or her muscular dancer arms. I'm too distracted by her chest... Are they falling out? Was that intentional? Taylor is buff with a dancers physique. IMO She needed a fitted gown to show off her dancer torso. She also needed a color that went well with her color tones. Also with the red carpet aspect that's being pushed.. what celebrity that looks like Taylor would wear that on the red carpet? Idk who picked the gown, maybe the board, maybe Taylor herself? But I think Oregon needs a stylist to help her to show the wonderful parts of herself off and not come across as someone who needs body attention. I do wish Taylor the best of luck. It's sad someone fell short in giving advice on this gown.

Replies:
Subject: CC Barber

Author:
No name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 21:13:12 10/05/18 Fri

I know this is going back but I found a DVD of her at state. What a wonderful dancer.she shouldn't have been cut the first time.

Replies:
Subject: New Thread: What Would YOU do?

Author:
No name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 08:38:49 10/01/18 Mon

If you could wave a magic wand and change the program, what would you do?

Replies:
Subject: After Miss A, did Taylor pro ide any insight to how the new processed went down? Was interview still about platform & resume? Finals night seemed rushed & rehearsed, though I loved the ladies walking out to do talent instead of that silly sit in a corner & ‘boom’ go perform aspect, as well as no losers corner like the past few years

Author:
No name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 15:05:11 10/04/18 Thu

Replies:
Subject: The writing is on the wall.

Author:
No name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 08:54:03 10/01/18 Mon

MAO is moving to a regional model, and Oregon is going to be lumped in with Alaska, Washington, California, Hawaii, and Nevada.

Will there be a state pageant in the comming years? Or will they just do a regional cattle call with representatives from each state.

I'm crushed that this program I've literally given all of my free time to is disolving before my eyes. I want to walk away, but it's like watching a train wreck...I can't keep my eyes off of it.

Replies:
Subject: Coos & Clatsop have opened their registrations for Jan & Feb pageants. I’m ready for the new season :-)

Author:
No name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 14:58:52 09/14/18 Fri

Replies:
Subject: Will they be in Seaside next yea?

Author:
No name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 19:42:07 09/25/18 Tue

Replies:
Subject: Just saw on the national voy that several states have been put on "probation". I wonder what this will mean for us.

Author:
No name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 00:54:30 09/29/18 Sat

Replies:
Subject: Fresh eyes

Author:
No name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 10:42:32 09/27/18 Thu

Replies:
Subject: If 3 Rivers disbands, can those titleholders run in the southern sweeper?

Author:
No name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 07:14:17 09/27/18 Thu

Replies:
Subject: Shivali won prelim takent at Nat’l Sweetheart! Should she win the title, can she still compete for Miss O next year, or would it be a ‘no’ since MA does not allow dual titleholders & Shivali would have to hold the SweetheRt title to crown her successor?

Author:
sorry for long post..never paid attn to Sweetheart before
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 13:13:32 09/02/18 Sun

Replies:
Subject: Let’s Find Miss America!

Author:
No name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 06:11:59 09/27/18 Thu

Some of our best Miss Oregons did not come willfully into MAO... they were tapped by someone and encouraged to run. Let’s all try and recruit just one young lady this season. Look at fine art schools, High School music programs, etc.

Subject: Fact: Dana Phillips took $6K from the Oregon Scholarship Foundation last year.

Author:
No name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 09:39:19 08/07/18 Tue

Replies:
Subject: FACT: From the 2017 Oregon Scholarship Foundation Charity Report

Author:
No name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 08:28:16 08/08/18 Wed

Click Here to See Yourself

Replies:
Subject: MAO Leadership Change Fund

Author:
No name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 16:48:10 09/26/18 Wed

https://www.gofundme.com/mao-leadership-changefund?member=805986

Purpose: Primarily to raise funds for legal action and secondarily for public relations services in an effort to correct the governance issues facing the Miss America Organization.

We commit that the new leadership we seek will:

---Bring together stakeholder groups as real and permanent partners in order to continue the progress and sustainability of the Miss America brand and values. These stakeholder groups include the Miss America Sisterhood, State Delegations (inclusive of Local volunteers) and MASTA.
---Commit to creating and streamlining the governance structure so that a transparent governing model integrates good governing practices in an integrated model from local to state to the national level.
---Review and amend all documentation and contracts, striking any and all language that determines involvement by individuals or licensees can be amended “with or without cause”, this includes contestants, State delegations and of course Miss America.
---Embrace changes needed to engage growth among participants as well as educational partners and sponsors but not at the expense of stakeholders and the integrity of the organization.
---Market the cause-oriented young women of the organization who are achieving educational and career successes while also delivering community impact.
---Strive to create a nationally televised event and uphold the existing rules that all contestants and state licensees are aware of the competition elements at least 60 days prior to competition.
---Commit to not only providing an avenue for participants to showcase talent and communication skills during competitions at every level, but also style and physical fitness.
---Leverage any unused funds raised to support the goals and commitments as stated above. If for any reason, these goals cannot be met under the current Miss America Organization, these funds will go towards a new organization that will still maintain all of the guarantees as previously stated.

There is no more time to waste. We need to preserve this beloved organization while facilitating a fair and transparent transition that will bring credible leadership to secure the success of the Miss America Organization. Please consider a donation and help us exceed our goal. Together we can save Miss America.

Thank you!

Subject: What is the real cost to go to Seaside each year?

Author:
No name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 09:43:44 09/24/18 Mon

This is the thing that bothers me most about the MAO of late: The non-entry fees that are exhorbitant, and the cost of participating on the local, state, and national level. It used to be that your local would provide for state, and state would provide for nationals...Now it seems like veteran girls buy their own wardrobe (Which I recognize as a choice) and it doesn't look like Miss Oregon does much if anything to enhance Miss Oregon's competition wardrobe (with the exception of the Regalia "sposorship)

Sweeper pageants only exacerbate this issue, as these titleholders are given NO financial help, and the minimum in scholarship. What is the real cost to go to Seaside each year? Surely more than your local scholarship is worth. Has this become a hobby where rich girls need only apply?

Replies:
Subject: MAO Leadership Change Fund

Author:
No name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 14:36:03 09/25/18 Tue

https://www.gofundme.com/mao-leadership-changefund?member=805986

Purpose: Primarily to raise funds for legal action and secondarily for public relations services in an effort to correct the governance issues facing the Miss America Organization.

We commit that the new leadership we seek will:

---Bring together stakeholder groups as real and permanent partners in order to continue the progress and sustainability of the Miss America brand and values. These stakeholder groups include the Miss America Sisterhood, State Delegations (inclusive of Local volunteers) and MASTA.
---Commit to creating and streamlining the governance structure so that a transparent governing model integrates good governing practices in an integrated model from local to state to the national level.
---Review and amend all documentation and contracts, striking any and all language that determines involvement by individuals or licensees can be amended “with or without cause”, this includes contestants, State delegations and of course Miss America.
---Embrace changes needed to engage growth among participants as well as educational partners and sponsors but not at the expense of stakeholders and the integrity of the organization.
---Market the cause-oriented young women of the organization who are achieving educational and career successes while also delivering community impact.
---Strive to create a nationally televised event and uphold the existing rules that all contestants and state licensees are aware of the competition elements at least 60 days prior to competition.
---Commit to not only providing an avenue for participants to showcase talent and communication skills during competitions at every level, but also style and physical fitness.
---Leverage any unused funds raised to support the goals and commitments as stated above. If for any reason, these goals cannot be met under the current Miss America Organization, these funds will go towards a new organization that will still maintain all of the guarantees as previously stated.

There is no more time to waste. We need to preserve this beloved organization while facilitating a fair and transparent transition that will bring credible leadership to secure the success of the Miss America Organization. Please consider a donation and help us exceed our goal. Together we can save Miss America.

Thank you!

Replies:
Subject: Well darn. Do we start talking about next year now? LOL

Author:
No name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 21:45:23 09/09/18 Sun

Replies:
Subject: So, evidently Teri and Stefenie cancelled the Miss O Fall Forum (the annual local gathering) that had been scheduled since spring workshop. Local directors are feeling very unheard and unimportant. Another terrible decision that shows lack of leadership, IMO.

Author:
No name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 10:55:40 09/23/18 Sun

Replies:
Subject: As women start to prepare for local pageants, what advice would you give to new and veteran competitors.

Author:
No name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 13:09:08 09/21/18 Fri

Replies:
Subject: What’s up with Stephenie? Is she still the ED for Teen?

Author:
No name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 11:50:11 09/19/18 Wed

I heard a rumor that they are putting out feelers for a new Teen Director?!

Replies:
Subject: Parade tonight! Her outfit was Rose themed which is very much her. Out of the last few years, who has had your favorite Parade outfit?

Author:
No name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 23:42:12 09/08/18 Sat

Replies:
Subject: If MAO cancels those state’s franchises who signed the petition, or has a way to remove all the directors (I think just a few did not sign) who will Gretchen give us?

Author:
No name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 08:59:28 09/13/18 Thu

Replies:
Subject: Talent tonight! I thought her costuming was fine for state, but I think it needs a bit of a step up for tonight

Author:
No name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 06:48:14 09/07/18 Fri

Replies:
Subject: Interview day!

Author:
No name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 07:24:53 09/04/18 Tue

Replies:
Subject: Taylor is listed as one of the 20 front runners to Watch for Miss America by MSN https://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/gallery/20-front-runners-for-the-2019-miss-america-crown/ss-BBN0SdY#image=21

Author:
No name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 18:16:39 09/07/18 Fri

Replies:
Subject: How many are going to AC to support Taylor? She has a good sized family, guessing they are. Teri & her mom like previous years, I heard Taylor Michael is going..guessing folks from 3Rivers - not “their girl” but was’nt Vonnie her mentor? Any formers that anyone knows of? Any of our titleholders?

Author:
No name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 09:55:38 08/29/18 Wed

Replies:
Subject: Does anyone else see some very real parallels between Cara's feelings about the MAO leadership, and the way the past several MIss Oregons feel about the MOP leadership?

Author:
No name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 14:43:28 08/24/18 Fri

Alexis said something on her FB page this week about how her year of service was not dissimilar to what Cara is reporting.

Replies:
Subject: Send off in just a few days, my first one. Do we get to see wardrobe etc, sample of dance (if new) do we bring gifts?

Author:
No name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 11:59:30 08/21/18 Tue

Replies:
Subject:

Author:
No name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 11:02:46 08/19/18 Sun

Replies:
Subject: Atlantic City Article including Cara’s message .

Author:
No name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 21:11:21 08/17/18 Fri

Miss America, Suzette Charles, for sending us the following letter. Dated Aug 16, 2018, this was written by Cara Mund, the reigning 2018 Miss America.

Dear Miss America Sisters,

I was extremely touched to receive the care package you sent to me in Orlando with your words of encouragement. It was so thoughtful, and it arrived at exactly the time I needed it most. Thank you so much.

I know there’s a lot of talk right now about the interview I gave to the Press of Atlantic City. Since my time as Miss America is growing short, I want to clear some things up directly with all of you. I apologize ahead of time for the length of this letter, but be assured that what I’m going to tell you is just the tip of the iceberg.

The rhetoric about empowering women, and openness and transparency, is great; however, the reality is quite different. I am living that difference. To stay silent is to give away my power and the power of the women who will follow me.

I am not comfortable with any of us being controlled, manipulated, silenced, or bullied.
I’m also not blind to the relationship between manipulation and plausible deniability. By standing up for myself, I am standing up for all the women who will follow me. At this point, my integrity—and saying and doing the right thing—means more to me than whatever punishment may await me.

When I became Miss America, there were three things I truly looked forward to: using my voice, working on behalf of the Make-A-Wish Foundation, and being an example of an empowered young woman of my generation. The reality, though, has been quite different.

Let me be blunt: I strongly believe that my voice is not heard nor wanted by our current leadership; nor do they have any interest in knowing who I am and how my experiences relate to positioning the organization for the future. I truly felt more valued, respected, and viewed as a real collaborator within my first three months rather than these last eight months. The differences in treatment are stark.

miss america carlson
Gretchen Carlson, Chairwoman of Miss America Organization
Our chair and CEO have systematically silenced me, reduced me, marginalized me, and essentially erased me in my role as Miss America in subtle and not-so-subtle ways on a daily basis.
After a while, the patterns have clearly emerged, and the sheer accumulation of the disrespect, passive-aggressive behavior, belittlement, and outright exclusion has taken a serious toll.

Shortly after the new board took over, I was given three talking points that I was required to use at every appearance and on which I would be critiqued:

Miss America is relevant.
The #MeToo movement started with a Miss America, Gretchen Carlson.
Gretchen Carlson went to Stanford (I was also allowed to mention my own education at Brown University to show that we are both well-educated leaders).
Right away, new leadership delivered an important message: There will be only one Miss America at a time, and she isn’t me.
To reinforce this, they told me that I’m not important enough to do big interviews, and that the major press is “obviously” reserved for Gretchen. Step out of line there and not only do you get treated to being pulled into the office for a dressing down by Regina, but Brent Adams also joins in on the action.

I was told that it’s my fault sponsors have dropped MAO, because I am supposedly “bad at social media.” These days I can only post on my personal social media sites. I no longer have the ability to post freely and engage with followers on the official Miss America accounts like all of my predecessors. Even when it comes to sponsors, I no longer have this ability.

Last week I posted at an event for CMN Hospitals; a few days later, it was removed. In fact, they have now removed my photo from the official CMN fundraising page and replaced it with last year’s Miss America. They post officially for me and as me—misspellings and all—without informing the public that it is not me posting, and often utilize these accounts to promote Gretchen and Regina’s activities. When they shrink my voice in this way, it eliminates my chance to be a spokesperson for my generation on the very platforms where we consume our content.

When Gretchen announced the elimination of swimsuit on Good Morning America, I was also in New York. Although I had already been told by Regina that GMA only wanted Gretchen on the segment, I served as my own advocate and asked if I could attend. Our CEO replied, “Oh, we thought you wanted to sleep in—but sure.” That morning I stood behind the cameras and filmed Gretchen on the GMA set with my phone. Later that day I passed a producer who recognized me, stopped me, and expressed dismay that she didn’t even know I was in the studio. She then asked permission to interview me to get “Miss America’s perspective”. I truly didn’t know what to say to her.

No one needs to remind me that being Miss America is a job.
I have known that and prepared myself to be the spokesperson for this organization with every single thing I have done and every experience I have had, learning from each person I met and each conversation I participated in. Such comments are condescending and are meant solely to suggest I don’t understand this “big girl job” or how and why Miss America is relevant. That could not be further from the truth.

Gretchen and Brent went to Cannes, representing the organization at a global marketing and advertising conference where Gretchen spoke about Miss America in the era of #MeToo. While they were in France, I was back in North Dakota. If I’d been invited to attend and speak about the relevance of Miss America, I would have been able to tell the world how I, as a young leader, have firsthand knowledge and experience regarding the ways in which MAO is supposedly poised for the future. Such an invitation would require the leadership to care who I am and maybe learn why the judges selected me in the first place.

An organization that values their employees, takes the time to communicate with them. Prior to the July 25th Miss America Orientation, Regina hadn’t spoken to me since June 6th, and Gretchen hadn’t spoken to me since June 15th. I wasn’t even respected enough to be informed about this year’s competition date/when my job would end… I found it out on Twitter.Since many of you haven’t had the opportunity to get to know me or have been told “Cara doesn’t want to work with you,” (which couldn’t be further from the truth) here is a little bit more about me. I truly hope you’ll agree that my voice could add value to MAO:

I am the only person in the office with an all encompassing business degree. I graduated with honors in Business, Entrepreneurship, and Organizations with an emphasis in nonprofit organizations. I feel qualified to comment on how a business should function and how employees should be treated. Did you know that I worked with Ashoka, the leading global organization on social impact innovation and integrations, when I was in college? Did you know I completed my senior honors thesis on the Miss America Organization? I went into this job with a strong background in the workings of the organization. I know its strengths and weakness and could have been a valuable resource during this transition.

I have prepared for ups and downs and challenges not just for this job but for any job. My first full-time job was working in Washington, D.C. for Senator John Hoeven. This experience brought me in touch with a wide range of constituents, witnessing their passion for legislation and policies that positively impact their lives. I was working for the Senator during two major events of controversy: 2016 Election and North Dakota’s Dakota Access Pipeline (DAPL). I know the importance of communication because I was listening and responding to all sides of issues. From that job, I was inspired to continue being an advocate as Miss America. I did everything I could this year to take advantage of this opportunity. I even personally paid part of my airfare to attend the 2018 State of the Union because I wanted Miss America represented!

Messaged in our leadership’s new rhetoric is the importance of women making their own choices and using the universal language of fashion in ways that illustrate and empower them. Working in New York for Agentry PR—a firm specializing in public relations for the fashion industry—gave me a current lens through which to understand what my generation wants to wear and will wear, and how fashion actually can speak about a woman.

In this respect, reality hasn’t just failed to live up to the potential, it has been truly disappointing. Throughout my year, MAO did not have a clothing sponsor. I spent all year buying my own appearance wardrobe. Most of what I bought was rejected, and I was told what I wasn’t permitted to wear.

What happened to the new motto of Miss America getting to express her own sense of style?
The office criticized me for wearing certain items too many times. I frequently had to take pictures of all my outfits, and then my tour manager would come into my hotel room and pick out the clothes I was allowed to wear, saying things like “Regina really likes this one” or “You can’t wear pink. Regina hates pink.” During a photo shoot this year, Regina looked at the Karl Lagerfeld dress I was wearing and said “Yuck. You should burn that. Don’t ever wear that again.”

I eventually reached out to two of the former Miss Americas on the board about some of the issues I had been facing. After Heather French Henry advocated for me, I was reprimanded by Regina who told me that problems and concerns had to be kept “in the family.” If a fellow sister who is also a board member is not “in the family,” who is?

I understand that I am the representative of a brand and a company and employed to do a job. That does not mean that an employer can treat you however they feel like treating you that day. Employers are legally required to provide a workplace free from harassment and bullying. I have been constantly reminded of the provisions in my employment contract that prohibit me from speaking freely:

● The employee’s relationship with the MAO may be terminated at any time, for any reason.

● The employee agrees that the employee will not disparage or subvert the MAO, nor make any statement reflecting negatively on the MAO or its affiliates, principals, employees, agents, or representatives.

● During the term, or at any time thereafter, employee shall not disparage or otherwise make any unfavorable statements, oral or written, or perform any act or omission, which is detrimental to the reputation or goodwill of MAO. For purpose of the prior sentence, MAO shall mean MAO, its successors and affiliates, and their officers, directors and employees.

I signed my contract shortly after I was crowned, without an attorney present, and without a member of the staff or the board there to witness it. When the new leadership came in, I hoped that they would loosen things up a bit, at least to make it consistent with the National Contestant Contract that I actually had time to review and which states that I serve until my successor is chosen at the next National Finals.

But that didn’t happen. My contract still says—and I am regularly reminded by word and action—that I can be fired anytime, with or without cause. In Orlando, the contestants were interested in seeing the employment contract they will be required to sign, but the leadership would not give anyone a copy. Some asked if they could see mine. I am living the contradiction of being “open and transparent”.

Miss America Contestants 1921
About two weeks ago, I started researching workplace bullying. In the State of New Jersey, it is defined as “deliberate insults, threats, demeaning comments, constant criticism, overbearing supervision, profane outbursts, blatant ostracism, being overworked or simply not communicating with colleagues. More subtle forms of bullying can include withholding or supplying incorrect work-related information, sabotaging projects, passive/aggressive behavior, blocking promotions, providing unclear or contradictory instruction or requesting unnecessary or menial work.”

Ultimately, this is my year in a nutshell. Here are some further examples of my time at orientation. Understand that these types of things happen to me every single day.

In Orlando, I watched as the board members and staff sat up front for a meeting with the contestants and state directors, while I was told to go stand in the back of the room and not say anything. When Gretchen and Regina expressed their admiration for me, it was quite disingenuous given our lack of communication, how little they know about me, and especially their false claim that I arrived at 2 am – when in fact I spent the entire prior evening with the teen contestants, attended the MAOT competition, and did my job as Miss America until the last person who wanted to meet me and have their photo taken with me had left the room. The tour manager’s flight was delayed, so, for once, I did not have her listening in on every conversation I had, reporting back to the office who I talk to and what I say, nor was I smothered—at least briefly—with a ridiculous level of security charged with making sure people did not get a chance to speak to me one-on-one.

There’s also a concerning back channel among the staff and leadership of reporting false information about me. It paints me in a light that is untrue and definitely unfair. You will have to ask yourself what their motives are, because I have given up trying to understand this game.

For instance, in Orlando, I was attending the Children’s Miracle Network Hospital Dance Marathon. I was told by the tour manager to meet her at a certain time and place. I left my room to get to the appointed spot on time. When she was late, I checked my phone and saw that four minutes before our scheduled meet time, she’d sent me another text changing the location. Before I could even answer her, I received a text meant for one of the security guards assigned to me (sent to me by mistake) where the tour manager claimed that I was “MIA, again!” Reality did not fit this latest fake scenario, as I was not MIA. I never have been. I was exactly where I was supposed to be.

On another night that week, I was excited to host a pizza party for the incoming class of amazing young women eager to learn about the job they are vying for. Contestants were ready for frank and honest dialogue with me. That is also what I was promised. Instead, into the room walked the tour manager and two security guards, Marc Angeli, and Regina, who promptly took their seats. You could feel the mood shift in the room; the message of intimidating me into silence, making sure I “keep it in the family” was sent and received.

As if that weren’t enough, Regina intentionally belittled me in front of the contestants, seemingly forgetting my name and calling me “Kira”. Of the 5 MAO staff members in attendance, not a single one corrected her. In fact, the next morning the tour manager “pulled a Regina” and identified my name incorrectly again. Several contestants came up to me after and said “ I can’t believe they don’t know your name.”’ If I can be so openly belittled—to the point where my actual, personal identity is removed in front of the contestants—it can, and will, happen to them too. It was another low point for me.

No Miss America should be humiliated or erased. Ever.
So, I want to ask you a favor. Just take a minute to reflect on how you might feel had you held the title this past year. I never expected my year to be perfect, especially under the circumstances. Imagine what it would be like if you were alone, not knowing who you could trust.

Imagine that you finally got up the courage to speak up, not just for yourself, but for the fifty-one women who are dreaming that they will have your job just a month from now. Imagine how it would feel if it was actually two of your fellow Miss Americas who slapped back in the press and threw you under the bus. What you said couldn’t be true, right? It must just be that you misunderstood what it meant to have an adult job. I’ll skip to the end: it was devastating. Do I not deserve a voice because my experience has been different from theirs?

It didn’t take me six months to see that my actions reflected on the organization. I understood that on day one. Or that it was a job, and a difficult one at that. That’s always been pretty obvious. I don’t want to leave this mess for the next Miss America. This is not a self-serving organization, and I want her year to be better than my year. This letter is for her. I don’t want her to have to live in constant fear, expecting to be degraded and punished while she should be having an amazing experience.

LISTEN: 2016 Archives. Mel Taylor interviews Miss America Org CEO, Sam Haskell.

ACprimetime’s Mel Taylor & Sam Haskell, Former MAO CEO.
If you want Miss America to be relevant, then the leadership needs to understand she is not a wind-up toy who they can power up to spit out the meaningless words that are put into her mouth, and then put back on the shelf until it’s time to do it again. I do not want her to have to stand in the back, literally or metaphorically.

As many of you know, the Press of Atlantic City story posted on a Saturday. As I expected, the retribution was swift. Within 72 hours, I was told my final farewell as Miss America would be cut to a total of 30 seconds for the national telecast. The following day, I was told my custom “Show Me Your Shoes” Parade Costume which had already been made, publicized by the designer, and based on a July 2018 agreement with MAO would no longer be allowed. How will we get sponsors if their word means nothing? Not only are they dictating my final appearance, but they are also reducing my final words.

I haven’t felt like Miss America for the last 8 months, and now, they are even taking away my goodbye.
I never expected—or wanted—to have to be a whistleblower. I am so saddened that the board seems more inclined to look the other way than to speak out. I ask you for your help, support, and voices, because I have no doubt that without them, the leadership will simply continue to push out, silence, and tighten security to reduce access around Miss America. Miss America is fragile right now. She needs all of us if she is going to survive.

Cara

Replies:
Subject: Original missive Teri signed

Author:
No name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 20:37:55 08/12/18 Sun

We, the undersigned state licensees of the Miss America Organization (MAO), represent all areas of the United States, decades of leadership, and innumerable contributions to the legacy of the Miss America Organization at every level. As dedicated members of our state and local communities who lend our reputations, financial support, and voluntary efforts to facilitate MAO’s long and powerful mission of empowering women to stand up and speak out, we find ourselves needing to use our own voices of leadership to express our profound disappointment regarding what, in our view, is the failed leadership of the entire MAO Board of Trustees led by Ms. Gretchen Carlson as its Chair and Ms. Regina Hopper as its President and CEO.

The recent ouster of two duly elected Trustees, followed by the resignations of two elected Miss Americas from the nine-member Board, have underscored our grave concerns regarding the direction in which MAO is headed, its financial viability, and the expected exercise of all duties attendant to each Trustee as required by law. We were promised transparency, competence, and adherence to best practices and good governance. The current Trustees and identified staff member have both individually and collectively failed to deliver on those promises and commitments. In our opinion their leadership has demonstrated that “Miss America 2.0” is simply a new title for the same old tactics of obfuscation and fear-based governance.

THEREFORE, we the undersigned state licensees expressly declare NO CONFIDENCE IN THE ENTIRE BOARD OF TRUSTEES AND THE PRESIDENT/CEO. FURTHER, WE CALL FOR THE IMMEDIATE RESIGNATIONS OF EACH CURRENT MAO BOARD OF TRUSTEES MEMBER AND THE CANCELLATION OF ANY AND ALL CONTRACTS WITH THE CEO IDENTIFIED HEREIN.

STATE LICENSEES
Nan Teninbaum on behalf of the Miss Alabama Pageant, Inc.
Margo Fliss on behalf of the Miss Alaska Scholarship Foundation
Suzi Doland on behalf of the Miss Colorado Scholarship program, Inc
Nakiya Troth on behalf of the Miss Connecticut Scholarship Organization
Tricia Lloyd Morrin on behalf of the Miss District of Columbia Scholarship Organization, Inc.
Keith Williams Chairman of the Board & Acting Executive Director on behalf of the Miss
Florida Scholarship Pageant, Inc.
Mansfield Bias, Jr. on behalf of the Miss Georgia Program Corporation
Doug Brehm and Lisa Perez Miller on behalf of the Miss Kansas Pageant Inc.
Dewana Little on behalf of the Miss Louisiana Organization
W. David Blackledge on behalf of the Miss Mississippi Corporation
Jan Holden on behalf of the Miss Montana Scholarship Program
Sally Johnston on behalf of the Miss New Jersey Education Foundation
Art Hunsinger and Linda Carbo on behalf of the Miss New York Organization, Inc.
Teri Leeper Taylor on behalf of the Miss Oregon Scholarship Program, Inc.
Chet Welch on behalf of the Miss Pennsylvania Scholarship Organization, Inc.
Debi D’Iorio on behalf of the Miss Rhode Island Scholarship Program, Inc.
Jane Alderson on behalf of the Miss Tennessee Scholarship Pageant, Inc.
Jean Hatch on behalf of the Miss Utah Organization
Harlen Gudger on behalf of the Miss Virginia Organization
Peggy Miller on behalf of the Miss Washington Scholarship Organization
Leah Summers on behalf of the Miss West Virginia Scholarship Organization, Inc.
Jeanne Schmal on behalf of the Miss Wisconsin Pageant, Inc.

Replies:
Subject: https://acprimetime.com/2018-miss-america-cara-mund-shares-disturbing-behind-the-scenes-treatment/ Sign the petition to oust the MAO board, CEO & President

Author:
No name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 08:31:37 08/17/18 Fri

Subject: Great shot of Katie and Taylor

Author:
No name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 08:08:19 08/13/18 Mon

Replies:
Subject: Letter that went out today.

Author:
No name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 14:50:02 08/09/18 Thu

Dear Faithful Stakeholders, MASTA, Volunteers and Miss America Cara Mund,
We hear your concerned voices. We have seen the loss of your elected board members. We have witnessed more board members and staff resigning from the MAO office this summer. We continue to read newspaper articles that are not representing the organization in the best light. None of the other MAO leaders have lost so many board members and staff in such a short time.
We (former Miss Americas) were given a chance to replace the former Chairman and the whole board with our very own sisters. You have been gracious, giving us your support from the beginning.
When the scandal broke in December/January, we as former Miss Americas supported the appointment of two of our sisters for INTERIM co-chair positions. Our sisters were meant to serve only as interim board members. A national search was to be done for a new CEO who would have the experience and business acumen to carry us through such a crisis and bring our beloved Miss America Organization into a new century. We did not get that. Unfortunately, a majority of former titleholders who were voted onto the national board have stepped down or been removed, and our Chairwoman did not carry out the national search for CEO as promised. Instead, she selected the sole candidate for board consideration and together they have taken the organization in a direction that we do not condone.
While we supported our new leadership initially, we disagree with the way some decisions were made and communicated to the board, main stakeholders and public. We believe there should be an apology to the sponsors, volunteers and our state and local titleholders if anything was done purposefully or intentionally to divide our program.
Healing is absolutely needed. However, this current leadership still struggles to gain trust from those that they need: the volunteers and current contestants. The recent Associated Press article “Miss America Head Gretchen Carlson Seeks ‘Healing Process.’" is concerning as it brings to light issues intertwined with the pageant that must be heard and addressed in an open, honest and respectful way.
We apologize to you for the hardships you have had to endure as a result of our Chairwoman's and CEO's unsupportive decisions. We do not accept the inaccurate words about the sponsors and swimsuit competition. We want to convey our support to state directors, the class of 2019 contestants, MASTA, volunteers and our reigning Miss America. We insist that our current Chairwoman and CEO resign now, not after September 9. We honor our commitments to help the organization and lift up our volunteers and contestants.
This is not meant to be a personal attack on any one individual. Our hope is to unite in collaboration and lift the ideals of Miss America up higher than it has ever been before.
Sincerely,
Miss America 1984 Suzette Charles
Miss America 1991 Marjorie Vincent-Tripp
Miss America 1992 Carolyn Sapp Daniels
Miss America 1995 Heather Whitestone McCallum
Miss America 1998 Kate Shindle
Miss America 1999 Nicole Johnson
Miss America 2001 Angela Baraquio Grey
Miss America 2004 Ericka Dunlap
Miss America 2010 Caressa Cameron-Jackson
Miss America 2012 Laura Kaeppeler Fleiss
Miss America 2016 Betty Cantrell Maxwell

Replies:
Subject: Congrats to Taylor on joining the Rosebuds again this year. While happy I am a bit concerned because I know that she also works full time on top of being Miss O. that is a lot to be on your plate for anyone.

Author:
No name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 13:49:47 08/13/18 Mon

Replies:
Subject: Letter of Clarification from April and Nichole: sent August 23, 2016

Author:
No name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 08:29:27 08/13/18 Mon

Dear Team Oregon, Contestants both past and present, Sponsors, Corporate Partners, Local Directors, Volunteers, and our Forever Sisters,

We know many of you have heard the "results" of our Board Meeting on Sunday, August 21, 2016. During the meeting on Sunday, we (April and Nichole) noted that we would be writing a formal resignation letter - our willingness to write it was ONLY because we felt so bad about your disappointment in us. We have not yet done that, and we will not do that until we hear from you.

Much to our surprise, many of you (contestants, sponsors, local volunteers, state volunteers, and local directors) reached out to us saying that you want us to continue to be your Executive Directors. The comments made during the meeting gave us the impression that we had little to no support in the state, and we apologize deeply for leaving you wondering about the future of the program. We have both had a few days to think carefully, and we have decided to ask you for your support directly… #together we can make this program great! We, Nichole Zahner and April Robinson, are still the Executive Directors of the Miss Oregon Program and, with your support, would like to remain in those positions.

Because of our strong belief in transparency regarding policy decisions, finances, and philosophy, we want you all to know what was said during that meeting. We were told that most of you would resign, if we did not step aside. We were told that contestants would not come back, if we did not resign. We were told that volunteers would no longer be involved, if we did not resign. We were told that sponsors were going to leave, if we did not resign. We were told that the board didn't want to work with us because we didn't consult them about decisions like who should be awarded Volunteer of the Year and Local Program of the Year. To that last point, we ask that you consult the bylaws that are attached to this email to discover the legally defined roles for President, Vice President, Teen Executive Director, and Executive Directors.

The Board next made a motion to remove us as Executive Directors and Board Members. There are four reasons why this is not currently possible or legal:
1. Our bylaws state 2/3 approval is necessary to remove a Board Member (please, see attached bylaws). Because 3 out of 5 votes is only 60%, the 2/3 requirement has not been satisfied.

2. ORS 65.351 states, “if a quorum is present when a vote is taken, the affirmative vote of a majority of directors present when the act is taken is the act of the board of directors unless the articles of incorporation or bylaws require the vote of a greater number of directors. A director is considered present regardless of whether the director votes or abstains from voting.” As mentioned, the minimum votes for removal were not obtained.

3. Our bylaws outline a process for resignation. The bylaws read, "Any Director may resign at any time by giving written notice to either the President or Secretary of the corporation which notice shall be delivered by the President or the Secretary to the meeting of the Board of Directors next convened, or any Director may resign by tendering the resignation at any meeting of the Board. Such resignation shall be effective upon delivery to the Board. A Director may be removed with or without cause by an affirmative vote of two-thirds (2/3) of the members of the Board at the annual meeting or any special meeting, which removal shall become effective immediately upon such vote.” No resignation has been provided.

4. ORS 65.167 reads as follows:

Termination, expulsion or suspension

(1) No member of a public benefit or mutual benefit corporation may be expelled or suspended, and no membership or memberships in such corporations may be terminated or suspended, except pursuant to a procedure that is fair and reasonable and is carried out in good faith.

(2) A procedure is fair and reasonable when either:

(a) The articles or bylaws set forth a procedure that provides:

(A) Not less than 15 days prior written notice of the expulsion, suspension or termination and the reasons therefor; and

(B) An opportunity for the member to be heard, orally or in writing, not less than five days before the effective date of the expulsion, suspension or termination by a person or persons authorized to decide that the proposed expulsion, termination or suspension not take place; or

(b )It is fair and reasonable taking into consideration all of the relevant facts and circumstances.

We believe that Section 1 of this law was violated. However, we know that Section 2 was violated in its entirety. As such, even if the requirements for removal in the bylaws had been satisfied (which they were not), state law would not be able to recognize such a removal.

Thus, we have not been removed from our positions as Board Members or as Executive Directors, and we are in fact, the Executive Directors of the Miss Oregon Scholarship Program.

From the information that was given to us during the board meeting, we (April and Nichole) thought we both had destroyed the entire organization and that we caused much wrongdoing and harm. We love this program very much and have each dedicated over a decade to its mission. We never meant anyone any harm. We were told to make this organization progressive, and that was what we were trying to do. We are truly and deeply sorry. Please forgive us.

We spent the last year doing our absolute best to build a strong internal structure for the program and develop operational processes. Perhaps most importantly, we sought to uphold our corporate mission:

The Miss Oregon Scholarship Program shall advance the status of women by providing scholarship, community service, and personal development opportunities for as many college-age women in Oregon as possible. The corporation shall seek to continually increase and improve contestant and volunteer participation, maintain a balanced budget and increase revenue, enhance the quality of the pageant production, and uphold the provisions of the state licensing agreement and any other rules & regulations established by the Miss America Organization.

To that end, we were able to maintain existing scholarship awards and offer new scholarship opportunities, provide and facilitate community service activities, and to create and implement Fall Forum as a means to promote the personal development of women. We recruited at least 20 new volunteers, increased the year-end account balance of the organization by 200%, did our best to maintain the quality of the production despite significant changes that were beyond our control, brought our state and local organizations into compliance with the state licensing agreement and MAO rules and regulations. Furthermore, we renovated the website, and with the Taylor Miller's phenomenal skills in social media and marketing, Miss Oregon and the MOSP are more visible and relevant than ever before. Miss Oregon is on her way to becoming the Official Hostess she deserves to be. At this point last year, after paying for national wardrobes for both state titleholders and their respective travel arrangements, the MOSP had an account balance of $17. No, that is not a typo. Today, having made those same expenditures and added expenses for both Stephenie and Nichole to attend the national competitions, we have almost $10,000 in our account. To be clear, comparing today to this same point last year, that means we have stabilized the finances of this organization by 587%. In fact, the Miss America Organization has been so impressed with these changes that Sam Haskell, the MAO's CEO, has requested to attend our competition next season. We look forward to working with ALL of you to make the 70th Anniversary celebration the best Miss Oregon in history.

We want you to know that we are well-aware of our misgivings, have taken careful notes about the issues we experienced, and were admittedly unprepared for this year during pageant week. We just didn't have any experience, but we assure you of this: we are outstanding students and lessons have been learned. We already have a plan to address each of those fully, and as soon as Miss America is over, we will begin the process of contacting production staff and sponsors for their input on next season's show. We would be humbled to receive your empathy regarding our shortcomings this year. We promise that we did our absolute best, have a strong foundation established, and will address each and every one of these weaknesses in the coming year. Our commitment to growth and progress is without limits, and we expect to implement significant improvements every year for the next 40 years. Every. Single. Year.

We will never allow this organization to stagnate. That is a promise.

And, make no mistake: we stand behind our Miss Oregon, Alexis Mather, our sponsors, Team Oregon, and all contestants who have participated in this program. We will not leave any of you, especially Alexis, hanging at this important time.

Going forward, we have a multi-part plan we would like to share with you briefly:

1. Make the Hubert's our title sponsor. (We would become the "Miss Oregon presented by Red Robin," for example.)

2. Inviting more active people on the Board of Directors or the Advisory Board, including Huston Hubert. (We had hoped to implement this change in year one, but we needed to get a year under our belts first.)

3. Doubling scholarships. (We have a number of corporate partnerships and fundraising ideas in the works to achieve this goal.)

4. Increasing contestants at the local and state level. (While we will NOT step on any toes of existing locals, we will work to add additional local programs in areas where there is currently no program or high demand.)

5. Start Miss Oregon's Annual Golf Tournament. (The goal would be to raise funds, build community, offer more opportunities for local titleholders to participate with the state program, and connect with local businesses.)

6. Increase state volunteers. (While we were proud of our progress last year, we will seek to add at least 10 more key offices in the coming year. Inquire within!)

7. Increase awareness regarding the Miss Oregon Scholarship Program. (Social media marketing and better promotion of existing sponsors will make the program more relevant in society and increase the visibility of our sponsors.)

8. Making Team Oregon/Directors Meeting free for Local Directors. (We will release information about this event once this internal state program disagreement has been settled.)

9. Reducing contestant production fees. (Although fees and requirements were reduced this year, we are ready to implement the plan that will reduce them further.)
10. Increase transparency and efficiency of the Scholarship Foundation. (It is time for an automated system and a significant shift in transparency. For information about the MOSP's relationship to the Foundation, please refer to the attached bylaws.)
11. We want to establish an advisory body called the State Association of Local Programs. (A group like this existed many years ago, and we think it would be a fantastic way to increase communication between all stakeholders and more efficiently implement improvements as they become necessary over the years.)
12. Honor sponsors in the way they deserve. (When we inherited the program, we did not receive a list of sponsors and did our best to compile them from memory. We also, therefore, did not have any record of what sponsors contribute. We are going to formalize the sponsorship process and speak with our sponsors to ensure the MOSP is exceeding sponsor expectations in terms of a return on their investment.

Please note that this is not an exhaustive list; we have more plans for improvement, both large and small, to begin implementing in October.

If you're interested in more background and context regarding the Board Meeting, please see the attached outline of events. It includes the complaints offered to us by the Board and our responses to each complaint. Thank you for your willingness to be open-minded and listen. We are so grateful.

Bottom Line: The time to act and stand #together is now.

We urge you to read our Bylaws in full with particular emphasis on the roles and responsibilities of the President, Vice President, Executive Directors, and Teen Executive Director. We believe firmly that upon review of the legally defined roles, that any question as to whether we owed an explanation to the Board of Directors for decisions like who should receive the Volunteer of the Year award and the Local Program of the Year award will become a moot point. It is clear: the Board of Directors has a fiduciary responsibility to the MOSP in accordance with state law, and the Executive Directors appoint volunteers and manage the day-to-day operations.

If you want to rise #together, here's what we want you to know:
This organization will look vastly different in five years. We will double the scholarships, increase state staff, continue to improve the contestant experience, make scholarships easy and reliable to access, and make any other progressive changes we (you and us) feel are necessary to promote the mission of the program.

Thank you for your support and time. We love all of you and look forward to working with you to make Team Oregon the best that it can be #together!

With love, thanks, and humility,

April and Nichole

Replies:
Subject: All the MSOP bylaws & MSOP board etc is fabulous & factual. Teri easily answered all the questions for the time she was in charge of MSOP (which likely includes whatever connection to OSF DOJ asked about) Does anyone have the OSF bylaws? Anyone curious about OSF’s the lack of transparency

Author:
No name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 18:55:56 08/07/18 Tue

Replies:
Subject: FACT: Teri sent this letter out last week

Author:
No name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 13:02:26 08/08/18 Wed

Hello All:

We wanted to touch base and let you know that if you are contacted by Jeremy Piatt, Investigator with the Charitable Activities Section of the Oregon Department of Justice, he is legitimate.

Mr. Piatt has been assigned to look into the Miss Oregon Foundation and the Miss Oregon Scholarship Program for the years 2012-2016.

When asked to provide all of the information and documents they were requesting from the Miss Oregon Scholarship Program we were unable able to provide him with anything prior to 2015 and were able to compile very limited records (a spreadsheet of income and one for expenses and copies of the CT-12 and 990, the closed checking account was not available to us, but I am sure he was able to obtain those records through a subpoena). I do know that the Miss Oregon Program records prior to 2015 as well as those from the Foundation would have all come from the Phillips.

In regard to 2016 we were able to provide all of the documents and records which they requested including all of our cancelled checks, deposits, bank statements, balance sheets, reconciliations, bylaws, filed CT-12's and 990's, statements of financial position, statements of cash flows, transaction details, budgets, our license with the Miss America Organization, etc. Our CPA firm has also made themselves available to Mr. Piatt. I have spoken to him several times since the investigation began some months back and have easily answered all of his questions.

I believe that the next phase of his inquiry will be with some of the local programs. This could be either through contact with you regarding the Scholarship Foundation and its procedures or through similar inquiry into your local program. It seems that several local programs have been subject to these over the past years.

If you have any questions I am more than happy to answer them. We are looking forward to the favorable conclusion of this investigation as it relates to our 2016 portion.

Replies:
Subject: Great of Miss O and OT

Author:
No name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 19:01:59 08/08/18 Wed

Replies:
Subject: FACT: This message was sent to Teri by MAO. She chose not to share.

Author:
No name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 15:06:34 08/08/18 Wed

Yesterday, the Miss America Board of Directors convened to discuss recent events and the organization’s collective path forward.

First and foremost, each state titleholder should feel confident that she is coming to Atlantic City to compete for Miss America on equal footing and a level playing field. Because MAO is, above all, about the young women who participate in this program, we will put their interests first and make sure that each candidate knows - without a shadow of doubt - that there will be no impact whatsoever on those state candidates whose state organizations chose to support the petition or have taken other actions against MAO. The candidates have our firm and unwavering commitment to ensure a fair and engaging process for each of them, that we will be laser-focused on delivering a successful Miss America 2019, creating a lifetime experience for each of them, and for all future candidates moving forward.

Second, we are choosing that our leadership to be different. The board has determined that there have been clear breaches of the state organization license agreements with MAO, however, there will be no immediate license termination for those state organization that signed the petition. This is not intended to send a message or set an expectation that these actions are acceptable now or going forward, as they have in fact, adversely impacted the organization’s national brand and opportunities for outside support and partnerships. It is simply an act of good faith for the benefit of the program and to underscore the sincerity of our request that we all put differences of opinions aside and come together in order to improve the former culture and share in the vision for our true purpose. Only in this way will we be able to collectively ensure that Miss America grows to embrace new and experienced candidates with open arms and minds.

Since January, MAO’s volunteer leadership team has negotiated securing the CRDA funds of $4.3 million that were very publicly in jeopardy, and a new production company, reduced the state contestant CMNH fees to half of the announced amount, negotiated with all of you new license agreements that removed arbitration clauses, opened the door for more people to be allowed to volunteer in our program, navigated at-large teen issues for states as well as operational structure guidance for states with the teen program, instituted the new age requirement language, and many other tactical wins for our grassroots and national program.

We ask that each of you search within yourselves and decide if this path is one that you are willing to be a part of and it is a sincere request that we begin to heal together and share in the vision for our true purpose. We are all passionate volunteers, just like you, working for these bright, young women who are capable of incredible accomplishments.

Please understand that every member of this board is always available to discuss concerns and thoughts. We ask that you communicate with us, as we work to put in place more avenues of communication. Also, please participate in calls, ask questions, respect confidentiality and, if there are concerns, raise them so they can be constructively addressed.

This board and leadership sincerely hope that you will be a part of building a bright future. We all agree that there are opportunities to grow and improve and most certainly that Miss America can do incredible things for young women. Let us move forward with purpose and patience for each other while keenly focused on the need for all of us to have healthy, viable and sustainable programs at the local, state, and national levels to truly be successful.

We ask that you please share this letter with any state board members not listed here, your state volunteers, your candidates and your local volunteers.

Respectfully,

Gretchen Carlson, Heather French Henry, Debbye Turner, Jessie Ward Bennett, Ashley Byrd, Mary Jane Clark, Shelley Robertson, Ike Franco
Regina Hopper

Replies:
Subject: Please remember to support our titleholders. This program is really about them, not the adults acting like children.

Author:
No name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 07:47:36 08/09/18 Thu

Replies:
Subject: Bylaws are just guidelines anyway. Stop the witch Hunt against Dana and Steve. Also is it really a crime to kite money from one account to another? You all sound jealous of smart and successful people.

Author:
Not teri
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 21:07:06 08/08/18 Wed

Replies:
Subject: Send Off Party

Author:
No name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12:43:45 08/09/18 Thu

Does anyone have suggestions for a venue for the Send-Off party for Dana Phillips and the Board of Directors?

Replies:
Subject: If Dana, Steve, the board and exucutive directors truely cared about the future of this program than they should all step down. From what I have seen, at best they are incompetent and unethical, at worst they may have committed crimes. They are pathetic.

Author:
Not teri
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 20:55:27 08/09/18 Thu

Replies:
Subject: Section 3 of MOSP bylaws (sorry for the weird formatting on section 2)

Author:
MOSP Bylaws about the Foundation
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 13:41:10 08/07/18 Tue

"Section 3: President
The President of the Foundation shall be empowered to represent the Foundation in every respect and perform all administrative duties regarding the fund and distribution thereof to eligible recipients. Any investment of the Fund in other than U.S. Government Bonds or Certificates of Deposit or in duly recognized National, state or Local Banks or Savings and Loan Associations shall be made only with authorization of this Board of Directors."

Replies:
Subject: Trying to make sense of the schedule of payments from the 990's

Author:
No name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 16:32:37 08/08/18 Wed

Looking specifically at the monies between the OSF and the MOSP. It looks as if, at least for awhile, OSF was funding the actual production, and MOSP was tallying and sending it's scholarships to OSF. Here's the breakdown from what I could see online, looking specifically for the list of accounts recieved and the amounts paid.

2013:
MOSP to OSF $17K
OSF to MOSP $46K
NOTE: MOSP did not claim the 17K as income,
instead listed $13K as amount received

2014:
MOSP to OSF $1,600
(No grants recieved itemization schedule)

MOSP to OSF $25K
OSF to MOSP $17K

MOSP to OSF $33K
(No controbution to MOSP Listed)

MOSP to OSF $30K
(No contribution to MOSP listed)
NOTE: MOSP claimed $33K to OSF

Replies:
Subject: Where is the MOSP’s latest tax return?

Author:
No name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 11:53:02 08/08/18 Wed

Steve has filed his 2017 990’s, but Teri has yet to, according to the DOJ website.

Replies:
Subject: Old 1990s bylaws versus “new” 2016 bylaws

Author:
No name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12:23:39 08/08/18 Wed

I think I’ll post segments/screenshots of both the OLD 1990s MOSP bylaws and the corresponding sections of the new ones they filed later tonight when i have time so we can see the ways in which bylaws were changed under Nicole and April. I bet it will give us some insight into what they were learning and preparing for. I remember amending the bylaws was one of their top priorities...It was urgent.

Subject: Question: who is in more trouble: Teri Or Dana?

Author:
No name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 14:59:58 08/07/18 Tue

Replies:
Subject: Current Board of Directors

Author:
No name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 16:37:07 08/07/18 Tue

Here's the website that shows the current board: http://www.missoregon.org/meet-our-volunteers/ So who chose this board? Is this a famiy affair? Dana Phillip's sister is on the board, Stephenie West's sister is on the board and Teri Leeper's mom is on the board. P.S. Moderator, this is a factual list and not an assumed list. Factual definition of Nepotism: the practice among those with power or influence of favoring relatives or friends, especially by giving them jobs. Why is Stephenie no longer on the board she has been the last few years. http://www.missoregon.org/meet-our-volunteers/

Replies:
Subject: Copied from the MOSP bylaws: Section 2: Governance The OSF shall operate by the authority of its Board of Directors. The Foundation President shall be appointed by this corporation’s Board of Directors. The President shall manage and administer the funds of the OSF. The President shall not serve on the Board of Directors of this corporation. One member of this corporation’s Board of Directors shall also preside on the Board of Directors of the OSF as this corporation’s liaison. This corporation’s representative shall report the status of the Oregon Scholarship Foundation at the annual meeting of the Board of Directors or at any other time determined by the Board of Directors. No notice shall be required by this Board of Directors to receive a report on the status of the OSF. "

Author:
MOSP Bylaws Establish Rules About the Foundation
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 13:38:56 08/07/18 Tue

Replies:
Subject: Looking for OSF Bylaws...

Author:
No name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 19:20:20 08/07/18 Tue

I'll dig them up from somewhere eventually. In the meantime, I can confirm that those OSF bylaws state that no one is to receive a salary. I guess the MOSP didn't mind Dana getting a $6000 salary last year even though it's a) irresponsible, b) audacious, and c) conflicts with the OSF bylaws.

Subject: From the Bylaws: (FACT)

Author:
No name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 17:52:42 08/07/18 Tue

Section 5: Executive Director(s)
(a) General Duties:
The Executive Director(s) shall be the principal executive officer(s) of the corporation and shall,
in general, supervise and control the business and day-to-day affairs of the corporation in
accordance with the Miss America state licensing agreement, any other rules and regulations of
the Miss America Organization, and these bylaws. The Executive Director(s) are responsible for
providing notification of scholarships earned, and rules associated with claiming said
scholarships, to each contestant. The Executive Director(s), with the support of other Officers,
shall prepare all paperwork required by the State of Oregon and the Miss America Organization
and shall coordinate Miss Oregon’s preparation schedule for Miss America. The Executive
Director(s) shall appoint and/or delegate duties to committees as necessary and desirable for
the proper management of the corporation and shall provide oversight and completion of any
and all tasks, events, associations, and partnerships associated with the MOSP. The Executive
Director(s) may increase, reduce, or terminate committees. The Executive Director(s) shall
advance the mission of the corporation.

Replies:
Subject: MOSP bylaws about Foundation

Author:
Section 4 of MOSP Bylaws (my personal favorite)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 13:42:35 08/07/18 Tue

Section 4: Scholarship Eligibility & Awards
Scholarship award winners shall be deemed eligible for awards per the qualifications outlined by the Miss America Organization. The application process and necessary forms for collecting scholarship funds shall be clear and posted in a public location such as the internet or this corporation’s website. Applicants shall be informed immediately of the receipt of his/her scholarship collection request. Scholarships shall be distributed to the recipient within two weeks of his/her scholarship collection request.

Replies:
Subject: Hello from the Moderator :

Author:
No name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 17:03:30 08/06/18 Mon

I felt it necessary to clear the boards of inflammatory posts. Please feel free to post facts, and ask questions, but please refrain from accusations without cause. Some threads were getting so long and mired with unsubstantiated guesses that I felt it best to start fresh. Play fair. Thanks.

Replies:
Subject: What happened to all the posts about the DOJ investigating Dana, The Foundation, Teri and the MOP🤔

Author:
No name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12:37:20 08/06/18 Mon

Replies:
Subject: Great Job, Kennedy! Welcome HOME!

Author:
No name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 11:30:35 07/30/18 Mon

Replies:
Subject: Taylor's Word : Authentic. Love it!

Author:
No name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 07:26:31 08/06/18 Mon

Subject: Great shot of 3 decades of Miss Oregons

Author:
No name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 17:09:56 08/05/18 Sun

Replies:
Subject: Taylor's Send Off Party

Author:
No name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 13:48:03 08/02/18 Thu

Subject: Thank you Shivali for Showing us MAOT!

Author:
No name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 08:51:43 07/26/18 Thu

We really appreciate you doing that for those of who couldn’t make the trip, but love Kennedy.

Replies:
Subject: Taylor is MU 8. Tu interview We OSQ Th Eveningwear Fr Talent

Author:
No name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 15:19:29 07/09/18 Mon

Replies:
Subject: Now is the time to unite behind Taylor.

Author:
No name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 08:21:36 07/07/18 Sat

It can not be easy being a state representative this year. Now more than ever, we need to unite behind our girl and show her support.

Replies:
Subject: What is Taylor's Story?

Author:
No name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 14:50:17 07/02/18 Mon

She was striking and stood out to me all week. I know this was her last year, and I THINK I know that she has never made it out of a local before. I'd love to know more, because this is a Cinderella story if ever there was one :)

Replies:
Subject: Best part of production?

Author:
No name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 18:09:20 07/02/18 Mon

I loved Taylor the latte boy, and then especially Hailey Kilgore’s song!

Replies:
Subject: New Scoring for Miss America

Author:
No name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 16:33:47 07/05/18 Thu

Subject: New scoring has been posted!! Watch out for this.. Gown is think ON THE RED CARPET 15% prelim night and 20% final night, On Stage Interview 15% prelim nights and final night 25%, Personal interview with judges 20% and TALENT WILL BE 50% on prelim nights and 30% final night.

Replies:
Subject: Who is in charge of the script?

Author:
No name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 10:58:04 06/30/18 Sat

So many grammatical errors. It’s truly embarrassing for a scholarship program that promotes education.

Replies:
Subject: Congratulations Taylor! 1st RU Stephanie, 2nd RU Shivali, 3rd RU, Danielle & 4th RU Hannah G

Author:
No name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 00:24:27 07/01/18 Sun

Replies:
Subject: Teen predictions?

Author:
No name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 15:26:53 06/30/18 Sat

Replies:
Subject: How was arrival? Who's looking good?

Author:
No name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12:42:53 06/25/18 Mon

I can't make it until Friday, and would love to hear how the week is going! Good luck everyone!

Replies:
Subject: Top 5 for tonight???

Author:
No name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 11:35:08 06/30/18 Sat

Subject: Prelim winners Swim: NW Wonder & Cascaade Talent: Linn-Benton, Coos, WashCo, Lane

Author:
No name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 06:57:44 06/29/18 Fri

Replies:
Subject: What do you think the changes to MAO will be? Swimwear? Talent?

Author:
No name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 16:01:33 06/02/18 Sat

Replies:
Subject: Can someone please explain the printing on the T-Shirts?

Author:
No name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 07:47:44 06/26/18 Tue

I can't read them well from the photos...is each T-shirt different? What does it say?

Replies:
Subject: Are any contestants staying out at Camp Rilea?

Author:
No name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 08:57:02 06/13/18 Wed

Replies:
Subject: Who is aging out this year? Who still have a year or more of eligibility?

Author:
No name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 20:53:09 06/06/18 Wed

Since they changed the age range, I lost track...

Replies:
Subject: Miss Oregon Class of 2018

Author:
No name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 18:01:18 05/29/18 Tue

Replies:
Subject: Does anyone know who the MOD of this board is?

Author:
Any guesses?
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 20:09:41 06/21/18 Thu

Subject: Which contestants are in your top 5?

Author:
No name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12:07:19 05/31/18 Thu

Replies:
Subject: Can I just say that I thought no Production got it right with the opening outfits this year?

Author:
No name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 19:59:39 06/19/18 Tue

Big improvement on last year.

Replies:
Subject: Does anyone know if there are any new sponsors for Miss Oregon this year?

Author:
No name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 08:44:26 06/12/18 Tue

The furbreeders dropped last year, and I haven't heard about any grants being written for the scholarship foundation, although it was announced 2 years ago that they were applying for grants. Anyone hear anything about new sponsors?

Replies:
Subject: Which Locals give out the most scholarships?

Author:
No name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 08:45:52 06/07/18 Thu

Coos County gave out over $40,000 last year, and Klamath gave out over $20,000. Who are the other big scholarship givers in the state?

Replies:
Subject: Now with the new rules, does this change your top 5?

Author:
No name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 14:25:17 06/05/18 Tue

Replies:
Subject: Swimsuit gone, gown not mandatory, contestants will wear them feel confident. Interview and talent stay. "This contest (bit pageant) will how they want to make the world a better place"

Author:
Yikes, no gowns
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 05:31:24 06/05/18 Tue

Replies:
Subject: Gretchen Carlson just announced some extreme changes to the MAO system mid-season...How do you think this will affect the outcome of Miss Oregon this year?

Author:
No name
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 07:44:16 06/05/18 Tue

Replies:
Archives: 1 ]

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a new public message:
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
* Message subject (required):

* Name (optional):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Choose Message Icon: [ View Emoticons ]

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-8
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2017 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.