VoyForums

Fri, November 24 2017, 10:48:50VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: [1]23456789 ]

Visit War Stories! at  www.war-stories.com
War Stories! is an Awards winning family-rated site with over 19 million visitors, and averaging 6,700+ hits daily.
Please visit War Stories BB Rules, Disclaimers, and Guidelines prior to posting a message or response.

Comments to:
Patrick Camunes,
War Stories' Bulletin Board Webmaster!

Return to War Stories!

• When F-4s Collide! -- Don Poss, Mon, December 26 2011, 9:11:54 (76.166.233.185)
    Gents,

On September 17, 1966, three F-4C Phantom aircraft took off from Cam Ranh Bay Airbase, responding to a call for air support during a night-recovery rescue of a downed helicopter. After a successful mission, the three Phantoms landed at Da Nang Airbase for service and refueling. The F-4s of the 558th TAC Fighter Wing then took off from Da Nang AB for the flight home to Cam Ranh Bay AB. As two F-4s prepared for a formation landing flying side by side, at Cam Ranh Bay Airbase, the third F-4 trailed behind. Suddenly, everything seemed to go wrong: in seconds the two lead F-4 Phantoms slammed together and a hung-bomb from one exploded ....

Read: When F-4s Collide: http://www.vspa.com/aspprotect/crb-f4s-collide-on-landing-manuel-m-roybal-1967.asp

Don Poss,
    War-Stories.com Webmaster

[ Edit | View ]

Replies:

• Battleship IOWA open house -- Dave Way (Happy.), Fri, December 23 2011, 13:34:28 (166.250.41.188)
    For your members on the West Coast / Bay area of San Francisco......if you could pass this along. Thank you.
    Hi-
    We wanted to let your group know that Battleship USS IOWA is open for tours on the weekends for a brief period of time at Pier 3 at the Port of Richmond before our departure to Los Angeles.
    Pacific Battleship Center, the non-profit organization that is bringing USS IOWA back to life is hosting the Battleship Expo at the Port of Richmond. The expo includes a visit on board USS IOWA and access to exhibits that include a short film on the battleship, 16” shells, a Sheridan tank & half-track displayed by the Military Vehicle Foundation, the Blue Angels F-4 Phantom flight simulator from Pacific Coast Air Museum, and numerous other exhibits. The Battleship Expo entrance donation is $10 per adult, $5 per child 12 years or older, and children 11 & under are free.
    Currently the forward portion of the main deck with a view of turrets 1 & 2 is open to guests. As work is completed, additional exhibits and areas on the battleship may be open to the public for visitation. It is encouraged to return to see the progress.
    Reservations are not required. USS IOWA is located at Terminal 3, 1411 Harbour Way, Richmond CA. The Battleship Expo can be accessed via the northeast gate on Saturdays and Sundays during the hours of 10am to 4pm. (Closed for Christmas weekend, but open New Years weekend through at least February).
    --
    Kind Regards,
    Jonathan Williams
    Vice President
    ---
    Dave Way
    Tour Manager
    USS IOWA BB-61
    Pacific Battleship Center
    877-446-9261 xt. 713

[ Edit | View ]

• Iraq War IED Trivia -- Don Poss, Fri, December 23 2011, 10:41:08 (76.166.233.185)
    Gents,

During the Iraq War, terrorists, zealots, and tribal members with an 'issue' planted IEDs to kill each other, civilians and allied military. IEDs were delivered by various methods, such as strapped to children, women, naive teenagers, and really disturbed adults, and of course planted under new paving/sidewalks and detonated by cell phones or tripwires, and delivered on or in bicycles, cars, trucks, boxes, and on 'believers' of the cause.

Trivia: No IED was ever detonated on the back of a camel.

That speaks volumes in the priorities of tribal leaders still living as they did 2000 years ago.

Don Poss

[ Edit | View ]

• Iraq War is over... -- Don Poss, Wed, December 21 2011, 12:42:53 (76.166.233.185)
    Iraq
    Don Poss,
    © Copyright, 20 December 2011

And now it’s over…
    or so they say,
    Iraqi leaders can have their way

4,500 dead…
    buried across the land…
    the battles play on,
    the sandman’s friend.

What about Vietnam?
    a mistake they still say…
    It was you veterans
    who lost that day.

No one remembers…
    we were gone two years
    When the North was Victorious
    the South fell in Tears

What will they say… should Iraq stumble?
    Their Vice President is fleeing…
    Their people live in fear

No one will remember…
    the high hopes we had
    when Iraq was united,
    then fell to sand

What about Iraq?
    another mistake, they’ll say…
    it was you veterans
    who lost that day.

Decades will pass…
    New generations arise
    Look upon the veteran…
    Iraq’s still in their eyes.

[ Edit | View ]

• OPEN LETTER to my State Senators: military remains dumped in Landfill! -- Don Poss, Thu, December 08 2011, 13:12:23 (76.166.233.185)
    Gents,

This has been confirmed and is the most dispicable uncaring action by government ever! Worse -- it somehow involves the United States Air Force or civilian designees.

I have sent the following email to my California State Seantors (Boxer and Feinstein). I urge you to email your own State Senators. You can find their email addresses at: http://www.senate.gov/general/contact_information/senators_cfm.cfm

Just click on your STATE and their names/emails will appear.
    ----------

Dear Senator,

First, thank you so much for your years of great service to California. You can count on my support, as always.

Briefly, I would like to express my outrage concerning how the United States Air Force has disposed of the remains of approximately 200 veterans: by 'dumping' the veterans' ashes in a landfill. I had hoped the rumors circulating were untrue, but now appears this despicable act is true, and worse, as the USAF and responsible departments will not take steps to investigate the circumstances, hold accountable the responsible parties, nor take immediate corrective action to recover and properly bury these veterans. These vulgar, disrespectful, and sacrilegious actions by the USAF is absolutely outrageous and unacceptable.

I know that you have been a strong advocate for veteran issues, and I am requesting that your office please call for an investigation and require the USAF to take corrective steps to set-right this horrible treatment for the remains of men and women who served our country and hold accountable responsible parties, regardless of the time and expense necessary. To think men and women now in active service defending our nation might feel we as a nation hold their service, and those who fall in combat or line of duty, in such contempt, as to dispose of their remains in a landfill, is so loathing and hideous a concept, as to be intolerable.

Sincerely,

Don Poss,
    Hemet, CA

PS: Please read the Washington Post news article: http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/air-force-dumped-ashes-of-more-troops-in-va-landfill-than-acknowledged/2011/12/07/gIQAT8ybdO_story.html?wprss=

[ Edit | View ]

Replies:

• War-Stories Remembers Pearl Harbor: Dec. 7th, 1941 -- Don Poss, Wed, December 07 2011, 0:05:23 (76.166.233.185)
    As sons and daughters of the WWII Greatest Generation, we certainly remember the Infamous Date Japan attacked Pearl Harbor, Hawaii: December 7th, 1941.

As a Memorial for those who died that day, and during WWII, I have posted a special graphic image on the homepage. In the image are three brothers, including my father-in-law, who served on the U.S.S. West Virginia (at different times), which was sunk by seven aerial torpedoes that day. My wife's Uncle Albert was killed in action on the West Virginia.

Please check out the homepage (http://www.war-stories.com) and click the image for the full story.

Welcome Home to War-Stories.com

Don Poss,
    War-Stories.com Webmaster

[ Edit | View ]

• Military Order of The Purple Heart: 2011 Award to Ann-Margret -- John Bircher III, Tue, November 29 2011, 15:01:05 (76.166.233.185)
    [Military Order of The Purple Heart, a Congressionally Charter Veterans Service Organization]
    Date: November 29, 2011 11:49:58 AM PST
    Subject: War-Stories: Bob Hope, 1966 [Posted at: http://www.war-stories.com/aspprotect/dn-poss-bob-hope-1966-2.asp]

To Don Poss: This year, MOPH gave an award to Ann-Margret. Below is an article [http://www.war-stories.com/aspprotect/pdf/MOPH-PNC-Jones-Medallion-to-Merit-to-Ann-Margret-2011.pdf] that will appear in the next issue of the Purple Heart magazine. Since I included a quote from you, I thought I would share it with you. I hope you don’t mind!

Yours in Patriotism – John,

John E. Bircher III
    Director, Public Relations
    Military Order of the Purple Heart
    5413-B Backlick Road
    Springfield, VA 22151
    Tel: 352-753-5535
    Cell: 352-250-9555
    Fax: 352-753-5538
    Email: PublicRelations@PurpleHeart.Org
    Web: www.PurpleHeart.Org
    Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/groups/PurpleHeartPR/

[ Edit | View ]

• HAPPY THANKSGIVING to ALL ! -- Don Poss, Thu, November 24 2011, 11:22:27 (76.166.233.185)
    Welcome Home! and a Happy Thanksgiving to all !

Don Poss

[ Edit | View ]

• Vietnam research for a theatre-script -- Carl A. Rossi (Respectful), Wed, November 16 2011, 8:23:49 (12.237.69.18)
    I am a playwright currently doing research for an original theatre-script set in Vietnam c. 1969-70; I am writing to ask, what would be the smallest group of fighting men that I could put onstage (12 actors or less) and still be believable (actors, not characters, for the actors could play numerous roles)? Would it be a recon force or snipers or a troop stationed atop a hill? Could you give me a break-down of who would be who and what would be each man’s responsibilities? I would be focusing on the interactions among the American men, themselves, rather than on battle sequences.

Would it also be believable to write a script without including any Vietnamese characters? I ask this because said characters would mean casting Asian actors, which would increase the cast size, and many theatres, nowadays, want to keep the body count down.

Unlike a film-script which can have numerous actors, constant shifts of locations and special effects, a theatre-script is like playing in a box – you put your characters in the box and then must find believable ways of taking them out, again, so I am looking for situations that can take place in one, maybe two, locations at most (i.e. a bunker, or a barracks, or an REMF office, etc.).

I would welcome correspondence from veterans who would like to share his/their experiences and also be a sounding board to my planned script (as you may gather, I never served – I was two years shy of Vietnam – but I've read over 3 dozen books on the war, so far ... each one, with a different point of view).

I thank you in advance for any assistance you can provide, and I salute all of you.

Carl A. Rossi
    playwright

[ Edit | View ]

Replies:

• A3C-James-Bruce-Jones, KIA, Da Nang, Vietnam -- Larry Mower, Sat, November 12 2011, 12:31:39 (76.166.233.185)
    Don, I collect military memorabilia and I recently purchased a helmet liner dated 1965 with a sweatband dated 1964. I noticed written in pen, on the sweatband: Jones, James B. with the numbers 25176013 below and HHB 151 and two letters that are hard to make out, but I think they're either AF or AP. I came across your story about J.B. Jones and it brought tears to my eyes as I read it. I was a little boy during the Vietnam War and I remember it very well. I remember the images on TV and the hippies that protested. I could never understand that. I remember my aunt crying when she learned a young man she dated had been shot near the heart. He survived. I have nothing but admiration and respect for those of you who served, fought, and died over there. I'm feeling emotional as I'm writing you now. I'm an ex-Navy man and currently a sergeant with a state Highway Patrol. I was hoping you might know what the numbers and letters mean from the liner I have and if it did indeed once belong to your friend J.B. Any help you can give me would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time and May God Bless You.

Respectfully,
    Sgt. Larry Mower

[ Edit | View ]

Replies:

• Welcome Home to new USMC Life Member #88: Terry Gourley -- Don Poss, Thu, November 10 2011, 14:44:26 (76.166.233.185)
    Welcome Home to new Life Member #88,

USMC, Gourley, Terry L., 1969-1970, 1st Wing Mass 2 (Dong Ha), Mass 3 (asrat Quang Tri) Da Nang, Dong Ha; Quang Tri.

Don Poss,
    Webmaster, War-Stories.com

[ Edit | View ]

• Larry T Waltz -- Donald R Gray (Sad), Mon, May 30 2011, 8:19:42 (74.178.216.206)
    Larry Thomas Waltz was one of my Navy Corpsman while I was assigned to USNH Philadelphia. I along with some of my shipmates attended Larry's furneral service on a cold and wintery snowy day at Harrisburg.

I want everyone to know that I am thinking of him on this Memorial Day as I always do.

God Bless,
    Donald R Gray
    Senior Chief Hospital Corpsman (FMF)
    U.S. Navy Retired

[ Edit | View ]

Replies:

• Check Homepage for graphic, PSTD...and a Wakeup! -- Don Poss, Sun, November 06 2011, 7:32:19 (76.166.233.185)
    Gents,

Check out the new graphic, "PSTD...and a Wakeup" and click on the link, http://www.war-stories.com or copy/paste directly to:

http://www.vspa.com/poem-don-poss-ptsd-and-a-wakeup-2011.htm

Don Poss

[ Edit | View ]

Replies:

• The Last Patrol... -- Alice Braddy (Searching...), Sat, October 22 2011, 17:42:31 (184.206.240.37)
    In November of 1986, I was married to a Methodist Minister in Eden, Texas. I heard that a group of Veterans calling themselves "The Last Patrol" were walking/riding from Colorado (I think) to San Antonio, Texas for Veteran's Day, to call attention to the POWs and MIAs...I found out that they were camped on the west side of San Angelo and drove down to meet them. I invited the whole group to stop at the Eden Methodist Parsonage when they came through, to have coffee, food, showers and a little bit of an R & R. They did stop, the whole Patrol, and then went on their way...I took biscuits and coffee to them the next morning at their camp, told them to have a safe trip, and went on my way home. I never heard again from any of them...but if anyone out there knows of anyone in that particular group...I'd like to send a message...I enjoyed the meeting and hope that their lives and their dreams are sweeter now...those that are still on Patrol...and the ones that have gone on - you served well and are at rest...I am the daughter of a career Naval Officer, that went to Vietnam several times, as deployements during his three tours on Guam and I lived there during those three tours. I lived through the Vietnam War as a dependant and remember the stories of people that my daddy knew that went on missions and didn't come back.

[ Edit | View ]

• 9/11: Open Letter to New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg -- Don Poss, Sun, September 11 2011, 0:52:13 (76.166.233.185)
    New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg:

You have banned from attending the “Ground Zero” 10th anniversary 9/11 ceremony, religious leaders, uniformed law enforcement officers, firefighters, paramedics, first-responders, and other volunteers. Many of these men and women are veterans or current members of military service to our country, and union workers. Your proclamation is as inconceivable to me as if soldiers who fought and survived on Civil War battlefields of Arlington were excluded from attending Lincoln’s Gettysburg Address. How dare you deny today’s living heroes of 9/11 participation in this truly American-family-ceremony of remembrance and celebration of those who died, and those who survived!

As a Vietnam Veteran, I recall the political-voices proclaiming the need to win the hearts and minds of the people. I also note Shakespeare’s observation “The eye is the window of the soul...” seems relevant to your edict. Anyone looking into your eye will see in to a frighteningly uncaring dark soul as if it were filled with coagulated-contempt and utter distain for American citizens and our heritage.

Your decree, on this infamous 9/11 day, forever fails to win the hearts and minds of Americans and New Yorkers, and could be voiced only by a politically-correct shriveled-hearted bureaucratic-coward filled with contempt and callous disregard for the majority opinion of the nation.

Mayor Bloomberg, you have excluded from attendance at this ceremony the very people Americans call upon during times of crisis, distress, and acts of terror. A decision glaring wrong in so many ways as to leave America stunned, and heaps everlasting shame and dishonor upon your name.

Your ugly proclamation is as despicably hideous as a diseased-festering wound, and would have shocked our nation’s forefathers. It is fitting that you will be remember by the American people as having betrayed emergency personnel, veterans, union workers, and people of faith, for which the shame and disgrace is yours alone.

Don Poss

[ Edit | View ]

• War-Stories.com's Banned Authors List: Wayne Coe -- William Brooksby, Thu, June 30 2011, 8:44:50 (24.24.239.102)
    Subject: Wayne Coe

Don: To make a long story short and realizing that most of what I know about Wayne [Coe] isn’t an eye witness account I really don’t have much to add. I did meet Dr. Dave Warden, who is mentioned in Wayne’s stories. Dr. Warden practiced medicine in Kaysville, Utah after returning from his service in Viet Nam.

The last contact I had with Wayne was a voice mail I received five years ago after I sent him a message, through a web master that posted the picture you linked to in you post. My brother had stayed in contact with Wayne over many years and when he was killed in a motorcycle accident I sent word to Wayne.

The stories he has written as consistent with stories he told me after he left the Army in the early 70’s but I wasn’t in harm’s way and can’t verify their truthfulness.

Bless you for your service. I hope you are well.

Bill Brooksby

[ Edit | View ]

Replies:

• From Pleiku 1968 to Afghanistan 2011 -- Don Poss, Tue, August 16 2011, 12:57:04 (76.166.233.185)
    Gents & Ladies,

Check out From Pleiku 1968 to Afghanistan 2011, Camp Leatherneck, K-9, by: Gary Truszkowski:

http://www.vspa.com/aspprotect/pdf/pk-afghanistan-camp-leatherneck-k9-gary-truszkowski-2011.pdf

Gary's report is direct from in-country Afghan.

Don Poss,
    Webmaster War-Stories.com

[ Edit | View ]

• Don Matthews, War-Stories.com Life Member #86 -- Don Poss, Fri, August 12 2011, 17:18:37 (76.166.233.185)
    Welcome Home to Don Matthews, War-Stories.com Life Member #86.

Don Poss,
    Webmaster War-Stories.com

[ Edit | View ]

• War-Stories.com Book Review: "Pass Me The Rice", by USN Advisor LT Robert G. Kay (Ret.) -- Don Poss, Thu, August 11 2011, 18:35:44 (76.166.233.185)
    Gents and Ladies,

BOOK REVIEW, by: Don Poss
    Webmaster, War-Stories.com and VSPA.com

PASS ME THE RICE, 2011, by Robert G. Kay, Lieutenant, Ret. US Navy (War-Stories.com Life Member #84)

Robert G. Kay's duties aboard Vietnamese Navy Junks patrolling the South China Sea and a Vietnamese River Assault Group, takes the reader along enemy infested rivers and coastal waters. Pass Me The Rice is a raw, raunchy, and riveting nothing is sacred living testament as to how it was.

Pass Me The Rice is in your face with the good, bad, funny, outrageous, absurd and genuine ugliness of combat. Robert Kay's characters are alive and you quickly care for them, and cant help hoping theyve survived the war. Experience the clash between negotiators and exterminators: Lazy ARVN and Americans, politicians, bureaucrats, and media, vs. the Warriors -- only the warriors engage the enemy, and kill them.

TET 68 erupts with infiltration by North Vietnamese Army Regulars and the Viet Cong National Liberation Front, and the ever present obnoxious politicians and dead journalists who thought they were in charge -- and TET '69 is still full speed ahead!

Ladies, Pass Me The Rice is your proof that men, warriors, really are from a testosterone-laden Mars. Firefights, crossfires, ambushes, sudden death and a brutal assault surprising an enemy concealed for ambush that leaves 150 KIA of the 9th NVA Regiment. Standby to cringe at the method used to encourage a POW to talk, and visualize the outcome if he doesnt in this page-turning first-hand saga.

Just when youre ready for an R&R after bloodletting KIAs, WIAs, MIAs, POWs, punji stakes, minefields, experience a dustoff medevac up close and personal, then evac to Japan and the USA. "Goodbye Vietnam it was a hell of a ride", and so was Pass Me The Rice.

Pass Me The Rice -- A four-star 500 Pages must read novel!

Check out the full Book Review and where to make online purchases at:

http://www.war-stories.com/aspprotect/book-review-pass-me-the-rice-robert-g-kay-2011.asp

Don Poss
    Webmaster, War-Stories.com and VSPA.com

[ Edit | View ]

Replies:

• Letters Home -- Don Poss, Wed, July 13 2011, 16:10:24 (76.166.233.185)
    Gents,

Before my mother passed away, she gave me all the letters I had written home from Vietnam ... typos, misspellings, scrawled penmanship, and all. Reading those letters, in some cases, was a mix between 'remembering' more than I wanted to, and my first visit to The Wall. Nevertheless ...I think sharing letters written home from Vietnam to our friends and loved ones, could be just as meaningful to all of us, as we experienced the 'same walk' in general.

I'm am considering a new Menu section for the War-Stories.com homepage, to possibly be called "Letters from Vietnam" or just "Letters Home". So, the point of this post is to ask if anyone is interested and thinks this could be a good idea ... and possibly something for others to read long after we're gone? If so, start looking around and see if you have old letters home (including the envelope) you would consider scanning -- just as it is -- and emailing to Don Poss (dlp@war-stories.com). Of course you can withhold any letter you consider too personal, or, just request that personal letter be including in the Restricted Area/Current Members Only.

Don Poss,

[ Edit | View ]

Replies:

• Looking for Michael Calkins, Vietnam Vet & Marine -- Diane Barker, Sun, July 31 2011, 18:21:59 (207.200.116.6)
    Looking for Michael Calkins, born in July, a Marine who was stationed in 1967 at the Naval Weapons Station in Concord, CA, after returning from Vietnam. He had dark blond hair, blue eyes and had a slim build. He had a Marine friend at the base named Doug who was planning to return to Nam.

[ Edit | View ]

• CONFESSIONS OF A CH-54 PILOT -- ROBERT J. ARCHER, (former CPT in Vietnam) (Fear versus Courage), Mon, January 12 2009, 14:40:36 (24.23.234.140)
    Monday, January 12, 2009 CONFESSIONS OF A VIETNAM CH-54 PILOT
    Thank you for your suggestion and encouragement (<dlp@war-stories.com>) to publish my experiences in Vietnam in “War Stories.”I am telling this story to let you know that more often than not, when I was in trouble, I was scared to death.
    The reason I did not originally post my 158th Assault Helicopter experience (Lancer 24, 1970) on war stories is because I believed that was only for people who had done something courageous who posted their experience. I was just a combat assault pilot like every other Lancer pilot or crew member. However, I thank you for your suggestion. And I followed your advice and posted my letter on "war stories". Thank you very much for your invitation. I am filled with humility and sadness and appreciation for those young warrant officer and officers and crew members who gave their lives. God Bless You, Bob Archer (alias Lancer 24 and Lancer 11) p.s. I am not a hero. I was often scared once I experienced my enemy fire.
    Ironically, I never took a hit as a Lancer. I was “shot down” as a CH-54 pilot. I was forced to land after taking a hit from small arms fire while taking off from a Vietnamese village where we dropped off some supplies - just a log mission. Our Cobra escort had left us early so we had no support at the time. A CH-54 Skycrane has no guns, and are easy targets due to their size. We have a 72-foot rotor span. One of the bullets struck the spar or main support for our rotor blade. If we had not landed we would not have made it very far before catastrophe struck. We were on the ground in an open field for several hours while we waited for assistance from our maintenance crew. Our crew set up a defensive perimeter and waited for assistance from the 478th Maintenance crew. They flew out a new blade and we were back in business without further incident. Again, I was very fortunate. This was apparently the act one person. I think that we were the only CH-54 ever "shot down" (forced to land under power) in Vietnam.
    I also flew secret missions in Laos to support the Mong and Mien military who were busy fighting their Pathet Laos and the North Vietnamese (with our help). After we left, they lost the war in Laos, and many of them fled to Thailand refugee camps. We left some very good friends behind. Some of them made it to the U.S. eventually. There is a group in Richmond, CA. that get together every year to celebrate. Those people say that they lost the war, but gained something more precious, their freedom with their families in the United States.
    Some of those missions in Laos scared me more than anything I did as a Lancer. I guess the more time and experience one has to anticipate what could happen, the greater the fear factor, at least for me. Although, I never let the crew know when I was afraid. That would have destroyed their confidence, and increased their fear. We supported Air America which I later found (via TV about 20 years later) was working for the CIA!. We were the only aircraft powerful enough to put a 105 Howitzer on a 11,000 foot mountain top. We referred to this act as a "controlled crash". The winds were fierce (strong updrafts and down drafts). Our approach angle had to be perfect. The aircraft would shudder severely from the strong winds. And constant and quick use of the collective and trim were critical to maintain the proper glide path. I was fortunate to have learned on a previous mission from one of the best Army CH-54 pilots that I ever met. He was WO3 Joe Winters from Texas. He was a big guy, very tall. He had to get his height waived by the Army to get into flight school. Thank God for that! He taught me a lot on my first mission to Laos. He trusted me to make several of those mountain top landings.
    The weather was not always good in Laos. I remember flying at tree top level trying to keep up with our Air America friends. The top speed (VNE) on a CH-54 is about 115 knots. They were flying at about 115-120 knots. The clouds were very low, almost on the deck (tree tops). In fact, I found myself flying through enough low clouds on the way back to base camp that I would momentarily lose track of the tree tops. This happened over and over again. I was terrified that I would go IFR, and have to rise up off the deck. That was white knuckle flying all the way back. Near the end, I was totally exhausted (after about 1 hour of this type of flying). Acting perfectly normal, I calmly said to the co-pilot, and excellent Warrant Officer, “okay, why don’t you take the controls for awhile. I don’t ever remember being more scared. I really did not know if we would make it back on the deck. Those Air America pilots were absolutely fearless, and a little crazy, but very good guys.
    Thanks Again for your help.
    Warm Regards, formerly CPT Robert J. Archer
    478th Heavy Lift, Red Beach, DaNang.
    On Mon, 1/12/09, War Stories

[ Edit | View ]

Replies:

• PTSD, Poem -- Don Poss, Tue, July 12 2011, 22:58:13 (76.166.233.185)
    PTSD
    Copyright © 2011, by: Don Poss

I thought I was stronger than that.
    I thought I could put it in a box.
    I thought I didn’t need anyone.
    I thought no one understood.
    I thought I could handle it.
    I thought no one cared.
    I thought it would go away.
    I thought I could forget.
    I thought I could forgive.
    I thought I wouldn’t be missed.
    I thought I couldn’t stand it anymore.
    I thought I was alone.
    I thought about asking for help.
    I thought they would think me weak.
    I thought I would say goodbye.

Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder, with friendship and counseling can be overcome. Like the most severe physical wound, it is a wound deeper than heartfelt and can consume the soul.

You are strong but not invincible.
    You can put it in a box … for a time.
    You may not need anyone, but we need you.
    You can meet hundreds who understand.
    You can handle it … let us help.
    You know we care … we’ve been there.
    You know it will never go away … we can face it together.
    You can forgive but you needn’t forget.
    You still miss those who fell … as do we.
    You can stand with us.
    You are not alone. There are no dust offs for wounds of the soul … but we are here waiting.
    You can ask us at any hour for as long as we live.
    You are not weak … just human … and have seen what mankind was not meant to see.
    You can say ‘I need to talk’ and we will say, ‘Welcome Home’.

We will make it, together.

[ Edit | View ]

Replies:

• Dog Tags Vietnam Memorial: Above and Beyond -- Don Poss, Sun, July 31 2011, 8:10:38 (76.166.233.185)
    Gents,

I am reading a book that has a photo of a Vietnam Memorial I have never heard of. Has anyone seen the 'dog tags' memorial at the National Vietnam Veterans Art Museum in Chichago? The artist had "Dog tags [made for] the 58,211 American service personnel who died in the Vietnam War, [displayed hanging] from the ceiling of the National Vietnam Veterans Art Museum...in Chicago." The memorial is displayed in a giant formation, 10ft x 40ft (dog tags are one inch apart).

"The ... Above and Beyond Memorial [is] like an enormous windchime, made from thousands of military dog tags, one for each of the more than 58,000 American service men and women who died in the Vietnam War."

http://milmag.com/2011/01/above-and-beyond-%E2%80%93-honoring-our-nation%E2%80%99s-veterans/

Don Poss

[ Edit | View ]

• Ronald L. Miller, War-Stories.com Life Member #85 -- Don Poss, Fri, July 29 2011, 15:21:20 (76.166.233.185)
    Welcome Ronald L. Miller, War-Stories.com Life Member #85. Ron served in the USAF with the 635th Security Police Squadron, at U-Tapao RTAFB, from 1972-1973.

Welcome Home to War-Stories,

Don Poss,

[ Edit | View ]

• War-Stories.com Book Review: "A Vietnamese Fighter Pilot In An American War" -- Don Poss, Fri, July 29 2011, 12:19:44 (76.166.233.185)
    Gents & Ladies:

War-Stories.com is pleased to recommend a new book called "A Vietnamese Fighter Pilot In An American War" (by former Major, VNAF), spanning decades from 1945-1975, and the author's migration to the United States. Copy/Paste link to read my complete Book Review:

http://www.vspa.com/aspprotect/book-review-a-vietnamese-fighter-pilot-hoi-tran-2011.asp

The Chinese had three curses in increasing severity -- all would apply to author Hoi B. Tran's life:
    • May you live in interesting times
    • May you come to the attention of those in authority.
    • May you find what you are looking for.

Author Hoi Tran's fight through the gauntlets of all three Chinese Curses is the enduring and compelling story of honor, valor, and personal victory through decades of war and struggle as A Vietnamese Fighter Pilot in an American War. Hoi Tran relives these Chinese curses through his dramatic life story as written in A Vietnamese Fighter Pilot in an American War.

Tran's personal struggle to fight for his country is well referenced, with glossary and index, and generously documented with photographs, and has earned a place in my Vietnam War library. It simply is a must-read that tells the story of "The American War" from a Vietnamese perspective.

Welcome Home
    Don Poss,

[ Edit | View ]

• KIA*MIA Spec5, Juan Jacquez -- Carolyn Weaver, Tue, July 26 2011, 14:16:37 (76.166.233.185)
    I have had a silver POW bracelet for years with the name spec.5 Juan Jacquez 5/11/69. Thanks for writing your story, now I have some idea who he was.

Carolyn Weaver

[ Edit | View ]

Replies:

• Re: 821st combat security police squadron -- frank ruiz (interested locating deployment from 68 to 69), Fri, July 22 2011, 11:40:16 (174.18.72.125)
    trying to locate safeside members took my training schofield arrived in 68 nam,until 69 march.was station at tin son nhut then deployer to pleiku ontil march 24 69.during my stay received letter of commendation for ton son nhut,trying to locate what other names received recommndation.also after pleiku went to seymour johnson then tdy to terrejon spain anyone else that you might know that went.came back to seymour then back to pleiku,tyh hoa bin thuy cam rahn bay then discharged.names i remember suess john lawerence,valenti,rauls,yenter.supan,nickname ski,novak,jimenez,azavedo,LT.kitterman,ssgts,stark,shupe,christian,nick name boo boo,shelley hope u can help.ruiz.

[ Edit | View ]

• Welcome Home, Robert G. Kay (LT/USN-Ret), LM 84 -- Don Poss, Mon, July 18 2011, 11:37:13 (76.166.233.185)
    Welcome Home, Robert G. Kay, LM 84.

Robert Kay is the author of "Pass Me The Rice" which covers his first two tours ('67-'69) as an Advisor to the VN Navy that covers his assignment to a remote Junk Group based on Poulo Obi, an island off the southern tip of Camau. Robert Kay (LT/USN-Ret) also served a stint in Saigon on the Staff of the Senior Naval Advisor during TET '68 where he founded and was Editor of "The Advisors Newsletter" which won him the CHINFO Award 4th quarter for the best Navy/Marine Corps Newsletter and with River Assault Group 24 patrolling the Saigon River from Binh Loi to Phu Cuong.

Don Poss,

[ Edit | View ]

• looking for friend -- roy g allen (help find my old buddy), Fri, July 15 2011, 6:01:36 (71.76.177.213)
    I was in B Co. 704th Maint. Batallion. 4th Infantry Div. located at LZ Oasis 23
    miles Southeast of Pleiku, Base Camp Enari--it was the night of

Mothers Day May 11 1969. We were getting hit by a batallion size force NVA, when
    ever we got hit my orders were to go to a jeep we named

"Rat Patrol", it had a 50 Cal. & 60 Cal. mounted on it. It was parked in front
    of the CP tent for security, as the first rockets came into the

compound. I ran to my designated place In the " Rat". I was sitting there
    waiting for Staff Sgt. Dunn to join me, rockets were coming in and

mortar flairs were in the sky everywhere, when I saw movement just in front of
    me between the latrine and a bunker that surrounded the CP

tent. I could see only enough to think it could only have been NVA. I was scared
    to death. I could see he had a gun and he was comming

toward me. I thought to my self that I was going to have to kill this guy or
    that I was going to die or be captured. I was already locked and

loaded and on full auto. I raised my 16 to my shoulder and just as I was about
    to squeeze the trigger I heard a voice call my name, as it turned

out it was my friend that worked in grave registration which was located just
    behind the latrine and above the mess tent for our company. It

was a very emotional experience that happened in a split second. I can see how
    friendly fire can happen. Now after remembering all this,

would you believe I can't remember my friend's name?

If there is any one out there that knows the guys that worked in Graves
    Registrations at LZ Oasis, please let me know. Welcome home

everybody, and never forget the ones that didn't get to come home.

Roy Garland Allen Jr.
    --
    Garland & Wanda Allen

Previous Message | Next Message

[ Edit | View ]

• looking for ron gessler -- rick kapp, Mon, July 11 2011, 9:35:58 (24.164.51.131)
    my name is rick kapp and i was in the army 101st airborne and was also at camp evans in 1970.if you have any idea how i might reach him please let me know..i have thought about him over the years and wondered how life is treating him..rick kapp

[ Edit | View ]

• Welcome Home to War-Stories.com Life Member 83: Thomas Hohmann, USMC -- Don Poss, Tue, June 28 2011, 15:57:08 (24.24.239.102)
    Welcome Home to War-Stories' Life Member #83, Thomas Hohmann, who served in Vietnam with Golf Co., 2nd Battalion, 5th Marines, 1st Marine Division, at An Hoa Combat Base.

Welcome Home!

Don Poss,

[ Edit | View ]

• Vietnam -- Don Poss, Wed, June 08 2011, 18:34:20 (24.24.239.102)
    Gents,

When I think of the Vietnam War, which is often, I wish that we had won ... although clearly 'we' did not lose. When I think of Vietnam, South Vietnam, I wish they had won the 'American War' and as a country kept their freedom. When I think of the Vietnamese people still there ... I can only think of what might have been for them, and only wish them well. I do not hate them. When I think of the thousands missing in action and still there, living or dead, and their families here, living or dead, my heart is heavy. When I think of our brothers sick and dying years too soon, and read of their crumbling health and understand the fear and hurt and worry all that entails, I want someone to blame. 'We didn't know...' is true, but someone did. All the above is part of the war that will not let go, and the record can play and loop and play again. It is not possible to not think of the consequences of war that plagues those who fought and those who waited and those who still wait in vain, until, like all previous wars the last warrior of that era, fades away.

Don Poss

[ Edit | View ]

• looking for information -- ssgt wayne g schwartz USMC (hopeful), Mon, May 30 2011, 17:50:15 (68.45.102.29)
    w.ould like to hear from fellow Marines who were our . .brother wayne at da nang. he was killed by 2 rpg's on may 15 1965 .

[ Edit | View ]

• Month of May -- Jay Gearhart (Always remembered), Mon, May 30 2011, 12:27:38 (76.253.105.40)
    It haunts me all year long BUT in the month of May the thoughts are more personel. Those who served with the 299th CBT engrs and were in the Dak To, Ben Het AO during the spring offencive of 1969 will pause and reflect on those who did not come home.So many left in the mud , God bless them all.

[ Edit | View ]

• Poem: Dappled Shadows of Why -- Don Poss, Sun, May 29 2011, 12:27:02 (24.24.239.102)
    Gents & ladies:

A Memorial Day poem. A little dark, but still very true to many:

Dappled Shadows of Why
    Don Poss, Copyright © 2011
    Memorial Day

‘The Why’, is like scurrying bruised clouds of combat whose dappled shadows in flight exploit valleys and folds of earth, embracing every blade of grass … every rock … every thing.

A frightful shadow that takes but does not give, and wounds a man (did you hear his cry?) or slays another (utterly … silently),
    and you turn to laugh with him at the silver-lining having randomly skirted bunkers, divided fighting-holes and drawn so near …
    startled to find him slain and you happily (too happily) alive.

Why me? Why am I still here? Why did this mortar arc its way merrily-twisting hither, swirling upon the axis of life, nudged left, right, up or down ever so gently by winds-aloft …
    then tugged by gravities’ indifferent mass, flicked by fickled fingers of toying gods … only to slash the earth with shrapnel gleefully flying yet heartless as to the where, what,
    or even if it smites flesh. Yet, he is dead ... the sandbags still bleeding rivulets of indifferent soil – and dappled shadows of ‘Why’
    caring not this night you will tread the first-step of decades seeking the answer to ‘Why’.

Clouds passed again, often and without prediction, favoritism or fate, playing games of inequality and chance, fully shorn of joy or sadness, blasphemous and devoid of all emotion while
    skipping a tuneless cleansing-purging dance … or not.

I saw the inviolate pattern forming …

They died … I didn’t.
    They were wounded … I wasn’t.
    They have Agent Orange … I don’t.
    They are broken … I am not.
    They are resolute in manly strength … I try to be.
    They are coping … as am I, mostly.
    They do not sleep the sleep of innocence … nor do I.

I’m all used up from the Why;
    dappled shadows have passed me by.

Don Poss

[ Edit | View ]

• Visit Walter Reed, WIA - I met a true American Warrior -- James Stastny, Chaplain, Sat, May 28 2011, 16:38:06 (24.24.239.102)
    Earlier this week I got news that two USAF Security Force members, serving in Afghanistan, were injured. On May 8th, while on patrol, MWD [K-9] handler SSgt Ben Seekell stepped on a land mine -- it blew off his left foot, injured his K9 partner Charlie, and SSgt Russell Logan.

The two airmen were sent to the Walter Reed Army Medical Center, just a few miles from here [where I live]. Charlie [the K-9 dog] not only received shrapnel wounds but the explosion blew out his eardrums. He’s still overseas awaiting transportation back to the states. Once Charlie undergoes de-programming, the Seekell family will adopt him.

As a result of this news, Linda and I decided to pay them a visit and present them with letters of appreciation from The Vietnam Security Police Association [VSPA.com] and the Old Dawgs and Pups [War-Stories.com] program.

We first went to visit SSgt Logan in the hospital. Unfortunately, when we got to his room the nurse told us he had checked out for the weekend. So, I’ll return sometime next week to see him.

We went to SSgt Seekell’s apartment where his wife and children are able to stay with him. The attendant on duty told us they were at a picnic just around the corner. So, we traipsed over to the picnic. When I spotted a one-footed, young man in a wheelchair I asked if he knew SSgt Seekell. He said, “It’s me.” Recognizing the patches on my vest he said, “It’s K9.” We agreed there’s a bond between K9 that transcends age, once a K9 handler always a K9 handler.

We then sat around and had a great chat with the SSgt and his wife Meagan for at least forty-five minutes. We also got to see their three beautiful children Kayla, Matthew, and Caiden. When Linda asked the SSgt why Charlie didn’t alert on the explosives in the SSgt told us that: 1) he had not given Charlie the command to “seek”, which would have put him primed him to look for explosives, and 2) Charlie did not have the specific training to look for mines. Because they’re buried more deeply than IED’s and such, it takes a different training.

I cannot begin to tell you how much SSgt Seekell impressed me. Here’s a young man, with his foot blown off, sitting in a wheelchair, and he has the most upbeat, positive attitude one could imagine. Instead of bemoaning his loss, or complaining about a missing appendage, he kept talking about getting his prosthesis and going back to duty. In fact, as we visited, the band played the Star Spangled Banner. Being the true American he is, the SSgt didn’t remain seated, which would have been proper, but, on his one leg ... stood at attention to honor this great country.

To think that we have such men carrying on the tradition of the USAF Security Forces, and especially K9 -- with a tear in my eye I must say -- he makes me proud.

What a grand way to celebrate Memorial Day Weekend.

Jim Stastny, VSPA Kennel Master
    'Where others fear to go K9 walks alone'
    Korat RTAFB '70-'71
    388th SPS K9 /Boots 645m

[ Edit | View ]

• Memorial Day homepage Tribute -- Michael McMurray, Sat, May 28 2011, 16:24:32 (24.24.239.102)
    I was stuck at Tachikawa AB on my way home for leave before assignment to Viet Nam. The old sarge at base ops after 48 hrs on standby for a hop boarded me on a C-141 with caskets bound for McCord AB. Nov 1969.

Mike McMurray,
    VSPA LM 690

[ Edit | View ]

• Memorial Day homepage Tribute -- Ted Wright, LM 81, Sat, May 28 2011, 16:18:14 (24.24.239.102)
    Don,

What a touching tribute. Anyone who had the experience we had and reads what yo so eloquently wrote should well up with pride, emotion, and yes, tears. What a ride it was! Ups and downs. Friendships made and lost, and many still are today. I love the patriotism of the patriot. It is something than cannot be purchased or traded for. Little did we know at the time how proud we would be today of our contribution to this nation. It was our time. America called, right or wrong, and we went! I am truly glad to say, I served my country with people like you and many others. I am a far better man for it. I only wish the majority of our youth today would know what we know. Some things just cannot be called or texted or emailed. Some things have to be experienced. You have to know what you have before you can lose it. Thanks Don. You have made a terrific contribution to us Vietnam Vets and America.

My kindest thanks,

Ted Wright,
    War-Stories.com LM 81

[ Edit | View ]

• US Navy Bombing of Da Nang AFB on 1-8-73 -- Jim, Fri, May 27 2011, 9:25:39 (98.231.42.75)
    Looking for any members of us bombing attack of Da Nang AFB on 1-8-73

[ Edit | View ]

• A New Book about the Vietnam War -- C.A. Casey, Tue, May 24 2011, 9:42:11 (71.198.70.83)
    A new book called Dr. Tom's War - A Daughter's Journey, is filled with stories told by Marines who served in Vietnam in their own words.

"Well told, in large measure through the gritty recollections of the men of the Second Battalion/Fifth Marines who lived them, the book details the daily sacrifices they made for each other, Corps, and Country. Sacrifices by our Vietnam Veterans that I fear may never be fully appreciated by their fellow Americans.” — Gen. James T. Conway, USMC (Ret) 34th Commandant, U.S. Marine Corps

Check it out at http://www.bedazzledink.com/drtomswar

Thanks!

[ Edit | View ]

• RVN 1968, Hill 327 -- Gay Moore, Sat, June 06 2009, 10:41:42 (67.101.62.231)
    Just found your blog by accident. My late husband John Moore (then a Capt., later a Col.) was the C Battery Commander in lst LAAM Bn. on Hill 327 in '68-'69. Their motto was "WGOST." He worked with lst Sgt Leary, who was later SgtMaj USMC.

John collapsed on the tennis court and died almost instantly 4 1/2 years ago. He had 26 years in the Corps, then taught college history. If anyone remembers him, I'd love to hear from you!

[ Edit | View ]

Replies:

• Attacks on DaNang -- Bob Baker (Smooth), Tue, May 10 2011, 7:56:21 (99.141.146.229)
    Don,

The VA informs me that there were no attacks on the base prior to July, 1965. I was in and out of DaNang several times from Feb. through July 04, 1965 and know that the base was hit in Feb. 1965 Can you tell me if there were any other attacks on DaNanag air base during that period?Thanks,
    Bob

[ Edit | View ]

Replies:

• james "jimmy" goodson -- sandra chackman (loyal), Sat, February 12 2011, 23:43:40 (64.12.116.12)
    I am helping my friend Michael Thanh search for his father an American soldier James "Jimmy" Goodson, he had a relationship with Michaels mother and gave her money for an abortion, which never occured. Michael was adopted and became Michael Shepard, he is married and had two daughter's and needs to know his medical history. Mike does not want to disrupt or cause any pain, he would just like to have closure. Mike is 43 which would put his father in vietnam 1967-68. Mike has his own business in Venice Fl.
    941-488-1015 or can be contacted through me. sandy

[ Edit | View ]

Replies:

• Osama Bin Laden is DEAd -- Don Poss (Don Poss), Sun, May 01 2011, 20:08:19 (76.166.237.73)
    On 9-11, I posted "We are coming for you!" Now Osama meets his maker...and I do not think Him pleased.

Don Poss

[ Edit | View ]

Replies:

• Memories of my son, Fallen Soldier SSGT Raphael A Futrell K9 handler -- Ms. Vicki Futrell, Fri, April 22 2011, 10:35:20 (76.166.237.73)
    Dear Old Dog and Pups,

My name is Vicki Futrell Mother of Fallen Soldier SSGT Raphael A Futrell K-9 handler of ALF. It was a pleasure to see his picture in the collage of other soldiers, and a paragraph of him. I miss my Ralph very much and to see his picture made me feel so good. Thank you and keep the good work up. Ralph was good with dogs, he trained his own here at home.

Thank you,

Ms Vicki Futrell Anderson SC

[ Edit | View ]

Replies:

• GPSs needed -- Howard Yates, Fri, April 08 2011, 14:49:54 (76.166.237.73)
    I am seeking some assistance in obtaining six "Garmin Foretrex 401 GPS" units for my son's outfit in Afghanistan. It seems that the Army will authorize it's use but will not provide it...duh! They have GPS units in their vehicles but since they are in a very high and rugged area, a lot of their patrol work is done on foot. Thus the need for a good portable unit like the Garmin Foretrex 401 GPS. They have 6 three-man teams and each team leader needs one. Well at about $200 a pop I can afford to send them a couple at the most. Does anyone have any ideas about where such an item can be obtained for a reasonable price or perhaps a retailer who might be willing to donate a few. It's a shame the Army won't supply something these guys need. I thought I'd throw this out there for some ideas.

Howard Yates

[ Edit | View ]

Replies:

• Looking for info on my dad Roger Goodwin U.S. Army -- Carlena Neftelberg (anxious), Tue, April 12 2011, 20:21:46 (68.205.43.111)
    Is there anyone out there that served in the Vietnam war and knew my father Roger L. Goodwin? I really would like to know more about his life in the Army and the war. He passed away 2 yrs ago March 9, 2009. He served 3 tours of Vietnam, earned lots of medals, Served in 101st Airborne Division and a few others. He was a chemical engineer and more. During one tour of Vietnam, he was hit by shrapnel just below the groin in the right thigh. If anyone knew my dad and can tell me ANYTHING at all about him, please contact me via e-mail: cneftelberg@gmail.com or my cell phone: (386)956-2179. Thank you

[ Edit | View ]

• What Does Melt Down Mean? -- Newell M. Swartz, Wed, March 16 2011, 22:17:35 (76.166.237.73)
    I have heard all the experts discussing the "meltdown" of fuel rods in the Japanese reactors. I hate to appear so ignorant in front of so many people but I am tired of watching the news and all I hear the experts say, "meltdown in bad", "the fuel rods have partially melted", etc.

What they do not say is what actually happens when the fuel rods have totally melted down? Do they keep burning their way through the concrete and deeper into the earth? Most agree there will not be an atomic explosion.

So what actually happens when the rods are totally disolved. Are they like road flares which just consume themselves and end the chemical reaction. We know that area will be radioactive for years to come. We also know that some radiation will escape into the atmosphere. Worst case scenario, just dump cement/concrete on the whole thing until it is covered up like they did in Russia. But my initial question remains, what does the meltdown consist of and what are the consequences.

Reporters are prone to pick up on part of a scientist's comments but they totally lack comprehension or what the words mean. One prime example was that a reporter said pumping seawater into the reactors was a very bad thing because seawater is not pure. The next day, a Japanese scientist said that seawater was not a good choice for cooling the reactors because the corresiveness means the reactor can no longer be saved to use again. The reporter words just frightened more people into believeing that more contamination was being released because of the use of seawater which was not the case.

Newell

[ Edit | View ]

Replies:

• My Dad's service in Vietnam -- Karmen Turner Payne (curious), Wed, March 09 2011, 0:37:42 (68.113.110.229)
    I am looking for information on where my daddy served in Vietnam. He died three years ago and never really talked about Vietnam much but I recently joined an American Legion group in his honor and want to know more about his life there. His DD214 looks like Greek to me. I have ascertained his discharge status but cannot figure out where his unit was active and in which campaigns. Anyone that can help?

[ Edit | View ]

Replies:

• David Hartsoe -- Stephen Weber (USMC May 20, 1967 Operation Hickory), Sun, March 06 2011, 13:01:17 (174.102.156.114)
    I knew Hartsoe and Bendorf both. I was in the night battle when they were killed along with Doc Warren. All, Heroes

Steve Weber

[ Edit | View ]

• What a great Article ( One small error} -- Bill Perkins ("The Operation mentioned was Lam Son 719"), Mon, February 28 2011, 0:07:23 (72.173.24.4)
    Lam Son 719 was an incursion into Laos in early 71 and was staged out of Khesan,Dong Ha and Quang Tri. This was the last major operation that the US was involved in. Many helicopters lost in this operation.

[ Edit | View ]

• Medical Records! -- Christopher Tammarine, Tue, November 16 2010, 18:58:25 (76.236.85.112)
    How does one get Medical Records? While serving in Tuy hoa back in 69,if, ANYONE AS AN ANSWER THAT CAN HELP ME ,PLEASE E-MAIL ME ,I WOULD TRULY APPRECIATE IT!

THANK YOU!

TAM.......

[ Edit | View ]

Replies:

• Information on my Cousin -- Ted Akins, Wed, February 23 2011, 18:41:45 (98.244.168.90)
    I have been searching for my 1st cousin for several years. I found him on this site thanks to Don Poss. His name is Gary McClendon. He was with 282nd AH Co(Blackcats)Da Nang, Marble Mtn. in 67-38. He is listed as dead now in the roster.

I am looking for anyone who knew him or has any information on where he retired to. Please contact me at tfakins@yahoo.com.

[ Edit | View ]

• DOUGHNUT DOLLIES -- SGT THOMAS MITCHELL OWENS, Sat, February 12 2011, 19:22:26 (99.120.8.154)
    MY UNIT 1st Bn 61st Infanty 5th Infantry lost 29 men in a rocket attack May 21, 1971 and several days later some of the finest Dough Nut Dollies came and spent a few hours with us. I have several pictures of them Thank you ladies very much.

[ Edit | View ]

• Info on a Civil War poster -- Justine, Fri, February 11 2011, 10:14:17 (75.82.145.91)
    I have one of these war posters i think, can you tell me more about it? it is the [Civil War] poster [for the 7th Indiana Cavalry "Avoid the Draft" [http://www.war-stories.com/war-posters-civil-war-usa.asp], and its on a piece of wood.

Thank you very much,

Justine

[ Edit | View ]

Replies:

• Photo from a War-Stories: Bob Hope, 1966 request -- Thomas J. Blagg, Thu, February 10 2011, 14:49:53 (75.82.145.91)
    Hey Don, I am the Marine MP in front of Ann Margaret in the picture on your site, is there anyway to get a picture from you or somewhere else?

It is the photo of Ann Margaret on stage with troops in the background [http://www.war-stories.com/aspprotect/dn-poss-bob-hope-1966-2.asp]. It is ok to list my name as being in the photo.

Thomas J. Blagg

[ Edit | View ]

Replies:

• Looking for Curtis Benson -- Kim Burgess, Fri, January 14 2011, 20:17:54 (216.59.251.183)
    Hello my name is Kim Burgess from Guelph, Ontario Canada. I am hoping someone would be able to assist me as I am trying to locate a vietnam veteran by the name of Curtis Benson. Curtis would have served at Cam Ranh Bay, Vietnam between 1967-1968.

This is the information I have to date in regards to Curtis Benson:

Curtis would be in his mid 60's. We think he came from Virginia or North Carolina. He served in the 623rd quarter master in Vietnam in 1967-68. Stateside Curtis would have been in either the 82nd at Fort Bragg, NC or 101st airborne in Kentucky.

I am doing this for a good friend of mine Ed Cox who served with Curtis at Cam Ranh Bay between 1967-68 in the 623rd quarter master. Nothing would mean more to me than to reunite these two after all these years and I am sure it would mean a lot to the two of them as well.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!!!!!

Thank you ...Kim Burgess

[ Edit | View ]

• Blind Bat from Ubon -- Lawrence Shelton (Tranquil), Sun, January 02 2011, 15:56:18 (190.41.178.18)
    Don, I was post Commander ( 1st Lt) for Camp Khon Kaen, an Army Transportation unit which delivered materials to Ubon, Udorn , and NKP and delivered the MTY trailers back to Korat. On an emergency leave in Jan/Feb 69, coming back to Thailand on SPACE AVAILABLE commercial flights, I found myself dropped off the flight to make space for RVN replacements. Needing to get back to my unit, and not being able to swing the senority to get a seat, some kind fellow suggested I go over to NAHA where a group called BLIND BAT was flying nightly to UBON via Camran Bay. I took a taxi over, and was told to wait around and, sure, I could hitch a ride, there were 2 C-130s going that afternoon.

When we were preparing to load up, I was asked which plane I wanted to ride on, and not knowing any difference, they suggested I go on the first craft. Having no seats available in the cargo area, I was told to wrap my armas in the straps and hold on till I was given a blast on the klaxon horn, and I could curl up on the top of the cargo. We were to land in Viet Nam , discharge some cargo, and go on to UBON. I would be warned when to hold on for landing or take off.

The following morning, arriving at UBON, with my driver there to meet me, I was invited to the base club, where the 2nd crew was to buy us drinks. When I asked why, welllll, er, Our craft was rigged to make noise and well lit, and the other craft, quietly following without lights, was there to pinpoint the bad guys on the ground firing at us to have them wasted. I was told the crews took turns as decoy. And I had volunteered to go on the decoy!! Brave dumb guy that I was. But I did gain a lot of admiration for you guys. First time I have seen your site. I will spend some time reading.
    Happy New Year!
    Larry Shelton
    Capt. U S Army Trans Command

[ Edit | View ]

• Chinese Bandits Recon -- Tom Ralicki, Wed, December 29 2010, 8:28:41 (75.82.145.91)
    I was in the 534tc sept69 sep70. There is a book about US. It was written by Lt. Rast it's called Don's Nam, he was in the 379th tc ... did you remember the Lt. with the rock ape? that's him. A must read, talks about us drivers and our convoys.

Tom Ralicki

[ Edit | View ]

• Agent Orange -- Bill Childers, Wed, December 29 2010, 8:26:25 (75.82.145.91)
    I was at Udorn 1974, two years later I get cancer, the VA told me not to waste their time.

Bill Childers

[ Edit | View ]

• USMC Dog Handler & Dog KIA in Afghanistan -- Fred Dorr, Tue, December 28 2010, 7:36:05 (98.215.145.95)
    Dear VDHA & VSPA Members,

On December 24th, the morning before Christmas, the remains of Marine Lance Cpl. William H. Crouse IV, were returned to Dover Air Force Base in Delaware.

Cpl. Crouse was killed in combat along with his partner, a bomb-sniffing dog named Cane, on Tuesday, December 21st by a roadside bomb, in Helmand Province, Afghanistan.

Crouse, 22, from Woodruff, S.C., was the 161st Marine killed in Afghanistan this year, according to the independent website www.icasualties.org. Of those, 60 were from Camp Pendleton in Southern California.

Others, like Crouse, were from other Marine bases but, in Afghanistan, were attached to the Camp Pendleton-based 1st Marine Expeditionary Force. Crouse was assigned to the 1st Battalion, 10th Regiment, from Camp Lejeune, N.C.

He had been in Afghanistan for six weeks as Marines continue their mission to secure control of what has long been a Taliban stronghold.

His mother, Nancy Siders of Fort Wayne, Ind., told the newspaper in Greenville, S.C. that her son's dying concern was for his dog. "My son was coherent for a brief period, and his biggest concern was 'where is my dog? Save my dog! Put him in the Medevac with me. Save his life,'" she said. The dog was put in the helicopter with Crouse but died. It was the Marines' fifth bomb-sniffing dog to be killed in combat.

He played football in high school and joined the Marines, his mother said, because "he always lived life on the edge."

Funeral arrangements: Calling begins at 10 a.m. on Wednesday, December 29, 2010 at the First Assembly of God, 1400 W Washington Ctr Road, Fort Wayne, Indiana 46825. Funeral to follow at 2:00 p.m.

More information can be found at these links:

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2010/12/on-the-morning-before-christmas-a-marines-remains-return-from-afghanistan.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+lanowblog+%28L.A.+Now%29

http://freedomremembered.com/index.php/lance-cpl-william-h-crouse-iv/

Our deepest sympathy is extended to family and friends,

Fred Door
    VDHA President

[ Edit | View ]

• Your Thoughts on War and Modern Society? -- Matt Molloy, Wed, December 22 2010, 20:19:48 (75.82.145.91)
    Matt: I will express my opinion within your below email. Don Poss

On 12/22/2010 6:26:40 PM, Matt Molloy (hermanjnr@aol.com) wrote:

Sent: Wednesday, December 22, 2010 6:27 PM
    To: dlp@war-stories.com
    Subject: Your Thoughts on War and Modern Society?

Dear Mr. Poss,

First of all I apologise if this is the wrong contact address. I only recently discovered the site, but I think it's a great project. As a British student born in the 90's, I wasn't alive in the Vietnam period, but I've always had an interest in history and the history of war. For the obvious reasons, I think it's extremely important that records are kept of such events.

I've thought a lot recently about the relationship war has with modern society, and (what I see as) the hypocrisy of society when dealing with the subject. I think in the present day war is perhaps exposed to the general public more than ever - through news, film and entertainment forms such as video games. What I struggle to understand is whether this increased exposure educates people about war or desensitises them and makes them ignorant to it.

(Don Poss) With media embedded within military units today, and satellite coverage, exposure to military events will become common place worldwide. The issues are not only exposure, but the media’s slant on the events presented (pro or con). Form your opinions from several sources. I am sure you are aware of those sources unduly pushing an agenda.

(Matt Molloy) With the current situation in Afghanistan seemingly sharing parallels with the Vietnam War (with some in this country even calling Afghanistan "Britain's Vietnam"), I seriously began to wonder if lessons have been learnt from Vietnam if that statement could be classified as accurate. More to the point, I began wondering what Veterans of that war think of the present day media coverage and public opinions on war.

(Don Poss) It seems the British public, like the American public, have bought-in to the premise that the Vietnam War (Vietnam calls it ‘The American War’) was a military defeat for the United States. All United States military were withdrawn from South Vietnam by January 27, 1973, after ‘Vietnamization’ of the war (training and turning over military responsibility to South Vietnam). The South Vietnamese successfully defended their country for a period Dr. Henry Kissinger referred to as ‘A Decent Interval’, for over two years, until April 30, 1975, when North Vietnam’s military invasion successfully defeated the South.

The North Vietnamese were victorious. The South Vietnamese were defeated. Both North and South Vietnams formed what is officially called the Socialist Republic of Vietnam. To me, if there is a parallel between the Vietnam War and the current Terrorist War, it is our president has set dates for U.S. withdrawal. My concern is if there will become a “Decent Interval” for Iraq and Afghanistan after U.S. and allied departures? If they succeed in defending their countries, where South Vietnam failed, then hallelujah. If Iraq or Afghanistan falls to insurgent forces-- would their defeat(s) be declared a USA/British defeat? And where it so --then why? Just how long must a country be responsible for the life of any country unable to stand on its own after a lengthy departure by us? In Vietnam…we were winning when we left. Independence was the South’s to defend or lose.

(Matt Molloy) One of the most disturbing parallels between the present war and Vietnam in my opinion, for example, is the lack of public support for British Soldiers currently serving in Afghanistan. While most people in this country do seem to support our troops over there, there have been some disgusting scenes of troops being labeled as "murderers" as they returned home by radical groups that have shocked and revolted me.

(Don Poss) The USA and Britain have common values, and therefore similar concerns and problems nationally. The people of both our countries genuinely do not like the pursuit of war. Our peoples will be patient for a time but will grow weary (as they did in WWII) and yearn for the return of peace. The problem today is the Terrorist Wars are likely to last decades. Defeating an ideology is not the same as pulverizing an advasary of a known country.

(Matt Molloy) When reading up on past wars I have noticed this common theme. Brit Veterans of WWII were promised "homes fit for heroes", and yet were sorely disappointed. Many felt extremely angry with the government for betraying them, and disappointed with civilians for forsaking them. Then, in Vietnam, the protests and apparent public apathy.

(Don Poss) The US government made empty promises to our WWI veterans. It sometimes seems that a nation returned to a peaceful state often forgets their ‘warriors’. I think most military in the current war zones are aware of the overall strong public support. Likewise, they are aware of opposing opinions.

(Matt Molloy) It's my personal belief that no matter what cause a war is started for, support must be shown to those who fight it, regardless of whether people believe the causes for a war are just. I despise the British politicians who lead us to join the war (several have been shown to have made substantial personal profit from it) because I believe they did it for purely selfish reasons…

(Don Poss) I understand your point; however, it is difficult for a nation’s people to support troops of what may be perceived as an unjust war, for a blanket time-frame. I am sure Germans supported their troops in what today must be viewed as an unjust war from a German perspective.

As for some politicians exploiting political events to their advantage…it has always been so. Likewise, war cannot be waged against an enemy cheaply. Countless billions of dollars and pounds are at stake for the industry winning contracts to manufacture weapons. Profits are there to be won…like it or not.

(Matt Molloy) …However, the men who fight for the country are in a different class entirely and I have profound respect and admiration for them. I know several people from my area who have died in Afghanistan, some only a few years older than me.

Then I realised my own hypocrisy and how I was just as much a part of it as everyone else. I mentioned video games earlier - I, like many people my age, play them and enjoy them. They vary greatly in theme, but some of the most popular right now are based blatantly on the very war our real soldiers are fighting right now.

(Don Poss) I do not have a problem with video games. They are just that. The problem would be for the poor soul that cannot distinguish reality form a game. But I understand your point. Even video games can be made to support an anti-war point of view.

(Matt Molloy) You could argue that perhaps such games show public interest in the real war, but I'm not so sure. I think the more disturbing conclusion is that we now brand war as a cheap form of entertainment. How many "headshots" can you kill people with? How much gore is in this particular game? "Buy this game for the most realistic battle experience yet."

That's all a little alarming when applied to alien planets or outlandish scenarios, but now games are constantly striving to apply these mechanics to situations that try to mirror real warfare…
    (Don Poss) No one who has fought or survived a war would consider war as a cheap form of entertainment.

(Matt Molloy) I'm taking a pretty negative and generalised look at games here, but as they make me feel sick in that context, I'm genuinely interested in what someone with real military experience thinks when they see games and movies being marketed to people like this. To me it seems a bitter irony indeed that we say we support our soldiers, and then turn around and start playing a simulation about shooting them.

Do you think these forms of media can serve to educate people, or are simply exploitative and morally wrong? Is there a way to balance entertainment with respect for those who sacrificed themselves in service?

(Don Poss) Answering this point raises could raise a greater danger in any attempt to restrict freedom of speech (video game or otherwise) used for purposes we might disagree with. Maintaining such freedom is part of what the military defends.

(Matt Molloy) It's getting late and I fear I'm rambling, so I'll stop there. I've been hesitant to mention the Vietnam War too much, because frankly I'm very ignorant about it compared to someone who served there. I can't even imagine what it was like. Instead I've tried to talk more of the present situation and compare it with some observations.

I sincerely hope I haven't caused any offence with my thoughts, that is definitely not my intention. I don't know how much you hear from younger people, but I hope I provided some points of interest with what I wrote.

Yours Sincerely, Matt Molloy

Matt: Thank you for a thoughtful and considered email. If your peers have such concerns as yours, then I will not worry for Britain’s safety. Only a democracy would worry over these issues. Those against democracy will destroy more than video games if given the chance.

I have posted your email on my two military website bulletin boards (http://www.voy.com/283/ (War-Stories.com) and http://www.voy.com/287/ (VSPA)); therefore you may receive additional replies regarding all or part of your remarks (please advise me of any disrespectful replies).

Don Poss

[ Edit | View ]

• DaNang B-57 Photos -- Keith Owens, Wed, December 01 2010, 12:44:37 (63.70.138.184)
    Don,

I read the story about the DaNang B-57 crash with great interest, as my father-in-law was a navigator in B-57s and was stationed at DaNang. His name is/was Paul Harrington and may have been a 1st LT at the time. He retired as a Major, and has unfortunately passed away. I noticed in one of your responses to the son of one of the air crew that you had other photographs of B-57s in DaNang. I was hoping that you could e-mail me copies of those photographs to provide to his wife and two children. We only know a small part of his service, and I would like to help them to learn more. His son in particular has expressed an interest in passing on information to his children.

Thanks, Keith

[ Edit | View ]

Replies:

• Happy Thanksgiving -- Don Poss, Thu, November 25 2010, 8:57:50 (75.82.145.91)
    A Happy Thanksgiving to All !

Don & Larry Poss

[ Edit | View ]

• Pop goes the Weazer -- Dr. Tracy M. Baker, Wed, November 03 2010, 8:11:05 (164.58.165.58)
    I liked the "creative" way of dealing with the fat commo Sgt. I wonder if he wet his pants? I have to wonder what the other GIs ahead did about the sudden firing behind them? I think it is possible they also put the "pedal to the metal".

[ Edit | View ]

• Restoring Honor speech -- Don Poss, Mon, August 30 2010, 18:46:51 (75.82.159.66)
    Gents:
    We all know that politics is not a part of VSPA's bulletin board. I say that, first, to assure you the following link has nothing to do with politics, but everything to do with a honoring Vietnam Veterans, love of country, and a hope for America. It is a link to all the above and is an uplifting and stirring 1-hr video of faith in our country, restoration of the faith of our founding fathers in what American could be, and what we hope it will become. With drums and bagpipes of Amazing Grace, and the closing prayer of a Vietnam Veteran which most certainly will bring tears to your eyes a lump in your throat and joy that finally We The People are standing up for restoration of honor in our land.

Glenn Beck's speech is everything the media ignored and little of what they called it. Nothing to do with politics, and everything to do with our American heritage. This speech restores faith that we can and will fundamentally restore the honor and hope our founding fathers proclaimed 240 years ago.

Do yourself a favor and check it out: http://www.glennbeck.com/content/articles/article/198/45013/

Don Poss

[ Edit | View ]

Replies:

Main index ] [ Archives: [1]23456789 ]
Comments to:
Patrick Camunes,
War Stories' Bulletin Board Webmaster!
[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-8
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2017 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.