VoyForums

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345 ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: 12:32:25 07/31/03 Thu
Author: Steve Bryant
Subject: Ann Ivory's New Show

I want to thank Surf for posting the audio file for Ann Ivory’s new show on WNJC. In today’s world of homogenized, sanitized-for-your-protection, right-wing claptrap radio (no strong opinions here), I think all of us who enjoy talk radio are delighted to hear something different.

I do hope the show continues and possibly catches on for syndication. It reminded me a bit of The Satellite Sisters (if they were all in one studio). That’s the halcyon days of The Satellite Sisters on NPR, not the current watered-down ABC version.

This being said, I have some observations: Ann and company’s first show was more than a little loose. If they rehearsed or prepped a great deal, it didn’t show. The first few seconds of a show, especially a new show, are crucial. If I had been a casual listener, I most likely would have dismissed it as a small-market, pay-for-play production.

In these days where everyone is denouncing the evils of “Corporate Radio,” non-corporate radio has to be better-than-good…all the time. I think most of us would love nothing more than to see a local team of broadcasters succeed beyond the wildest dreams of Glenn Beck, Dr. Laura and all the other big money syndicated shows.

Obviously, Ann is an experienced broadcaster. Her partners do a nice job as well, when they’re not stepping all over one another. This show needs serious tightening and better focus if it is going to succeed. Time and time again, I hear a local radio show debut with high hopes of national syndication. Usually, it’s 2 or more people who spend more time driving to the station than prepping their show. It usually fails rather quickly.

I know for the fill-in spots I do on WDEL, I spend 3-4 hours prepping for 1 hour on-air. (Okay, so maybe I’m slow.) If Ann and her co-hosts spent a great deal of time getting ready for their debut it didn’t show in the audio file Surf posted.

I love it when someone succeeds in this crazy business. Especially if that someone does it on their own without a Premier, Talk America or other big syndicator behind them. Granted, if they are really successful, they might eventually be syndicated by one of the big services. Still, they would have initially made it outside the “big money shield” of a large corporation.

Like most, I cringe when I hear what passes for talent on many “big” national shows. (Is Liddy still reading the paper? Can Glenn Beck have his named screamed out a few more times each hour?...I must have missed that one in “Imaging 101.”)

If “Midnight Dish” is the new name of their show (providing no one else has it already), they have a great title. I hope the show can live up to it.

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:

[> I wouldn't worry about early show missteps, Steve. WNJC has no measurable listenership. Ann can use this gig as a warmup to finding a better outlet. -- Scott Tilde, 01:31:55 08/03/03 Sun

[ Edit | View ]

[> [> Not worried, Scott, I just want to see an "indie" project make it for a change. I received a nice email from Ann saying that they were "thrown" on-the-air with only 24 hours notice. I hope she sends new audio to Surf so we can all hear the improvement. (Too many times, an independent radio project fails because no one speaks up until it IS on a measurable station. Then it's too late.) -- Steve Bryant, 12:34:16 08/03/03 Sun

[ Edit | View ]

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2016 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.