VoyForums
GIVE FREE FOOD
www.TheHungerSite.com
-> Click Here <-
Fund Free Mammograms with a Click
www.TheBreastCancerSite.com
-> Click Here <-
Non-profit ad served by VoyForums...

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 1234 ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: 13:08:33 11/27/15 Fri
Author: D C T - friendly poultry orthopedist
Subject: Re: Chick can't walk
In reply to: Sherry 's message, "Chick can't walk" on 01:48:13 11/27/15 Fri

Sad to say but this is the way that some mothers (but not all) do wean their offspring so it is essential to watch for this and provide separate pens as soon as it happens.
-------------
The chick's symptoms suggest nerve damage/paralysis that is most likely botulism. Inflammation of nerves can be healed with medication and good nutrition. If you can get a 5 mg Prednisone tablet use it this way. Split it and give half today. The half tablet will be swallowed more easily if dipped in water and then quickly pushed deep into beak before it begins to melt. There are alternate methods of getting pills into birds. I sometimes get membrane from between rings of raw onion and wrap pill in this slippery material to make it slide from beak to crop of bird. Or if bird is big enough I use a small piece of white bread wrapped and pressed around pill, dip it in water and then push it into beak. Then I watch neck to observe movement of
skin as object passes downward.
Tomorrow give the other half of tablet to the chick.
Vitamin C and B-complex are helpful for healing nerves.

Please post an update of your chick's progress because feedback helps me to help others

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
* Message subject (required):

* Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Choose Message Icon: [ View Emoticons ]

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2016 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.