VoyForums

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 1234 ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: 23:26:07 11/29/15 Sun
Author: Sherry
Subject: Re: Chick can't walk
In reply to: D C T - friendly poultry orthopedist 's message, "Re: Chick can't walk" on 13:08:33 11/27/15 Fri

Thank you so much! The information you provided was very helpful! My chick (probably half grown - not a tiny hatchling) has been gaining strength daily. I had not been giving vitamins, but I had been feeding chick starter, boiled egg yolk, and tiny bits of apple. I didn't have a 5 mg prednisone pill, but I had a 20, which I halved several times to get to the 2.5 dosage. I had not described the size other than to say it was fully feathered, so It may be under-dosed. Should the prednisone be given for more than 2 days?
I did some reading on botulism and poultry. The diagnosis does seem to fit. I had not mentioned, but the chick also had a droopy neck at one point. It has been 3-4 weeks since the original problem was observed. It went from normal/healthy to weak and then to lying prostrate or even upside down. I did not observe feathers falling out as is a possible symptom that I read about. Now it is thrusting itself around in its sling. It still flails about wildly when trying to defecate. Legs are getting stronger and can grip quite tightly if I put my finger in its clasp. It continues with a good appetite and preening feathers. Balance is improving, but it still cannot straighten out the toes without assistance or stand up. Do you think it will be able to stand and walk eventually like a normal chicken?
Thanks again! I cannot believe you are so kind as to offer this help for free. Vets don't even know how to help with a chicken.😊🐥🐓

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
* Message subject (required):

* Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Choose Message Icon: [ View Emoticons ]

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2016 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.