VoyForums
[ Show ]
Support VoyForums
[ Shrink ]
VoyForums Announcement: Programming and providing support for this service has been a labor of love since 1997. We are one of the few services online who values our users' privacy, and have never sold your information. We have even fought hard to defend your privacy in legal cases; however, we've done it with almost no financial support -- paying out of pocket to continue providing the service. Due to the issues imposed on us by advertisers, we also stopped hosting most ads on the forums many years ago. We hope you appreciate our efforts.

Show your support by donating any amount. (Note: We are still technically a for-profit company, so your contribution is not tax-deductible.) PayPal Acct: Feedback:

Donate to VoyForums (PayPal):

Login ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 123456789[10] ]

The Adult Irish Dancer Message Board
The place for all adult Irish dancers to discuss all things Irish dance

Subject: NAN's competitor list link inside

Author:
from below
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 07:33:26 06/12/09 Fri

http://www.feisworx.com/feis/Naidc2009CompetitorList.pdf
Replies:
Subject: Adult used dresses for sale? Bigger sizes

Author:
km1
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 11:35:33 06/29/09 Mon

In addition to this site (which is great) does anyone have any suggestions for finding adult competition dresses for sale? Are there any dress sites or dressmakers specifically for adult dancers? It doesn't have to be very fancy (I've only been dancing 10 months) but would need to be able to fit a size US16 woman (about 34 inch waist, 39 inch bust). I don't want to spend a fortune but if anyone has suggestions for dressmakers that would be helpful too. I live in the norhteastern US.
Replies:
Subject: Nations cap Game plan

Author:
Round two
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 05:39:58 07/02/09 Thu

Howdy Fellow Adults! I'm headed to Nations Cap and have a game plan to head to Ri Ra after surviving "And Overs" feis number two to celebrate surviving and enjoy the session over a pint in Bethesda. I was looking for a hotel/B & B that might be within walking distance that you all might recommend. Thanks for any suggestions. Oh- anyone else wanna join me (and hopefully my hubby) for sessioning, celebrating survival, and a pint?
Subject: Need info for dc area adult programs- looking to change schools, thinking about mcgrath and culkin. Without starting anything- what are some pros and cons about each school for adults?

Author:
thanks
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 15:22:56 06/29/09 Mon

Replies:
Subject: Starting Again

Author:
Kemara
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 07:08:19 05/25/09 Mon

Hello all! I danced as an adult for a few years in college, but had to give it up when I couldn't afford it. I wasn't in the and Overs, just Adults or Adult Beginner if it was offered. I placed third in all my soft shoe dances at the few feiseanna I attended.

Now, 11 years later, I'm in my early 30s and my friends and I are hoping to get an adult class started in a nearby town. I'm really excited, but a little worried too. I'm at least 30-40 pounds heavier than the last time I danced and woefully out of shape. A medical condition means I am unable to strain myself in any way, carry/lift more than 5 pounds or get my head below my heart. I've also been diagnosed with exercise-induced asthma.

How can I get myself ready for classes (hopefully in July or August) so I won't fall gasping onto the floor after the first over-2-3? I think that's the worst... I remember what I used to be able to do, but my body won't obey me now.

Any advice or encouragement would be greatly appreciated!
Replies:
Subject: Stressed about fractures, ...

Author:
The Foot
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 14:15:02 06/16/09 Tue

Hey Folks- posted this on the other board, but knew you guys and gals would know :) Just wondering if any of you get aches where old stress fractures are/were on rainy humid days? I've been on the mend from a stress fracture (6 weeks) and have carefully walked back into class the past two weeks (no pain) and yesterday after dancing with no pain woke up this morning to achiness. Took myself and foot to the pool to swim and water jog. I'm thinking its my getting older old achiness in old fractured parts. Anyone out there experienced this? I've also been taking Calcium and vitamin D along with Turmeric with bromelin to help the cause. I'm hoping to avoid going to the ortho. Thanks!
Replies:
Subject: 2009 NAIDC Updates

Author:
IDTANA-SR Webmaster
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 10:53:24 06/19/09 Fri

The live coverage site for the 2009 North American Irish Dance Championships is live and is taking registrations for its subscription-based coverage. Go to http://www.nanationals.net/ to register.

And keep an eye on our blog for the latest updates on the competition at http://www.idtana-southernregion.com/naidcblog -- including the stage schedule and layout, which have just been posted.

Adult teams -- you'll get to sleep in! Competitions are slated for 1:45 PM on Sunday. Good luck to you all!
Subject: Catskill Feis (8/1) - Online entries!!

Author:
Catskill Feis Committee
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 10:12:14 06/17/09 Wed

www.catskillfeis.com is now accepting PayPal entries and payments.
Subject: Didn't the registration date for nationals pass? OK, then, who's going? Any ladies or mixed teams?

Author:
cheering on Adults!!
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 08:41:00 05/05/09 Tue

Replies:
Subject: Was looking at schools in NJ...

Author:
Darn! Next year...
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 07:06:27 06/11/09 Thu

Someone had asked about adult classes in NJ and I searched and found that Sexton school does. And then I found out that they just had their feis and not only did they have adult competition, they had slow speeds! For both dances! Did anyone go or know anyone who went and tell us how it was? Did they get a good amount of adult competitors? I can't believe I didn't know about this; I never heard about their slow speed specials...I would have gone if I did!
Subject: Did anyone go to the Lynn feis? Were there any adults? How was it?

Author:
Maybe next year...
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 18:20:38 05/30/09 Sat

Replies:
Subject: Red Solo for sale

Author:
MJ
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 09:47:22 06/03/09 Wed

Beautiful Red Solo with celtic knots, designed by Cheryl Young, is currently for sale. Asking price is $850, price negotiable. Please visit this link for pictures and measurements: http://www.dance.net/topic/8265347/1/Dresses-Costumes/REDUCED-Red-Solo-for-teen.html&replies=1
Subject: My favorite CCE picture:

Author:
You go, girl ;-)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 07:56:30 05/30/09 Sat

Click here

And the caption is: "...and that's why an extremely clever and intelligent man such as yourself will understand the business genius and fabulous idea of adult ceili at the Worlds!!!"

(A not-so-"in" joke; LOL!)
Replies:
Subject: Air France crash

Author:
dancer
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 20:22:47 06/02/09 Tue

My thoughts and prayers go out to the families of the 3 Irish Dancers that were killed on the Air France flight off the coast of Rio. They were 3 beautiful girls. So sad :(
Subject: Dress for sale

Author:
Erin
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12:11:08 05/25/09 Mon

http://www.dance-again.com/X1803.html

Unique satin solo dress made by Janice Young. Perfect for tall, slim, dancer in Novice or Prizewinner. Great stage presence. Original owner, less than 2 years old. Good condition, from a smoke-free home. White, silver & charcoal with mint & dark green leaf design & eye-catching peacock blue underskirt. Comes with mint green soft cape, silver headband & matching peacock blue bloomers. Please email scully_blink@hotmail.com for extra photos or to make an offer.
Subject: Any other adults competing in Cleveland?

Author:
curious
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 16:40:25 05/21/09 Thu

We used to see several of the ladies from Bell competing in Cleveland.

There are just 2 of us from my school competing and I am the only one in the overs ( 18 and over at this feis ).

It doesn't look like I will be close to the stage where the apparently few adult competitors are going to be dancing at. The girls/lades in 18 and over are mostly 30+ years younger than me but not sure if they will be combining us.

Looks like this will probably be my only competition this year.

Good luck all!
Replies:
Subject: Adult dancers in the Western Region, please read this thread on the WR Voy forum (more inside)...

Author:
Fed Up But Won't Give Up
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12:57:52 05/15/09 Fri

thread is at the top, and if you're insulted by the move to stop us from progressing, please voice your objection to your teacher and region officers (see the WR home page). Nice, but firm. This move is ridiculous for advanced-level adults. Link: http://www.voy.com/202463/
Replies:
Subject: California Spring Feis -

Author:
Ellen O’Connor, TCRG
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 11:29:53 05/11/09 Mon

We would love to include an ad or well wishes for your dancer in the feis program. An ad form is included under the Feis Info listing at www.feisworx.com The deadline is May 15. We look forward to welcoming you to our second feis!
Subject: Somebody on dance.net posted a really good response to the "they (adults in and-overs) are ruining it for the kids" complaint. http://www.dance.net/topic/8093009/1/Irish-Adult-Dancers/Mommy-Dancers.html&replies=5

Author:
check it out!
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 16:54:14 03/29/09 Sun

Replies:
Subject: TAKING Catskill Feis entries at Sheahan-Gormley and Cape-Cod

Author:
Committee
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12:49:49 05/08/09 Fri

If you are at the Sheahan-Gormley Feis, or at the Cape-Cod Feis this weekend - stop by the HEAD FOR THE WORLD booth. We are accepting Catskill Mountain Feis entries (www.catskillfeis.com)!!!!!
Subject: California Spring Feis -

Author:
Ellen O’Connor, TCRG
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 11:13:35 05/08/09 Fri

The final date to book hotel rooms at the feis rate of $99 has been extended to Friday, May 15, 2009. Both feis hotels have reservation links in the Feis Information area on www.feisworx.com
Also, today is the last date to register/pay for the feis without a late fee through FeisWorx. We look forward to having you with us.
Subject: Sheahan-Gormley Feis - another slow speed op!

Author:
intersted
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 15:26:08 04/09/09 Thu

Anyone planning on competing at the Sheahan-Gormley feis, I just looked at the syllabus today and saw how many comps there are for adults, including an adult championship and a set solo piece. Any takers?
Replies:
Subject: Worlds Photo Contest Results are up!

Author:
Ally and Nic
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 06:31:29 05/06/09 Wed

Pop by the blog to see the big winners :) The link to the contest winners is right at the top!

http://iheartthatdance.blogspot.com

Next contest launches in a couple of weeks -- it'll be up on the blog or you can sign up for the (very infrequent and non-spammy) newsletter. There's a free shipping offer if you sign up before we send out the May issue on the 15th.

Thanks so much for looking!
Subject: Reminder - California Spring Feis: Sunday & Monday, May 24 & 25 (Memorial Day Weekend).

Author:
Ellen O’Connor, TCRG
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 10:15:45 05/04/09 Mon

May 8 is the last date to register/pay for the CA Spring Feis without incurring a late fee. To register, please visit www.feisworx.com. Also, May 8 is the last date to book rooms at the Holiday Inn (next door to the feis) and the Four Points by Sheraton (across the street from the feis) at the great rate of $99 per night. The Feis will be held at the same great location, the South San Francisco Conference Center (just minutes away from the San Francisco Airport with excellent access to the freeways) www.ssfconf.com. Both Virgin America and Southwest Airlines will be providing service from SFO to Orange County at the time of our feis. (Low-cost carriers JetBlue, Southwest, and Virgin America all provide services into SFO – from Long Beach, LAX, San Diego, Denver, Phoenix, Seattle… just to name a few.) Our tentative schedule is as follows: All Championships, Championship Specials, all Adult Competitions will be held on Sunday, May 24. All First Feis through Prizewinner Competitions (including Specials), and all Figures will be held on Monday, May 25. We have added some exciting new specials this year – a Hornpipe special for Prizewinner/Preliminary/Open Champ levels (All black attire is required for this competition) and a Treble Reel special for Adult dancers and those dancers not entered in the Championship levels. Tony Comerford is providing the trophies for this feis. If you would like to place an ad, there is a form on the feis listing at FeisWorx. If you have any additional questions, please email us at californiaspringfeis at yahoo dot com We look forward to welcoming you! Ellen O’Connor, TCRG
Subject: Saw this on the main mb:

Author:
would be GREAT!
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 10:51:30 04/20/09 Mon

Under a question of how old was the oldest solo dancer at the Worlds?

Waiting for them to have adult ceili at Worlds, just like at All-Irelands, and then you'd see much older ages. Would be great and would include an entire segment of IDers who are currently chomping at the bit, wanting a chance to do ceili at Worlds! -- Include us, please!!

I'm n iadult ceili, and would LOVE to dance at the Worlds. Good news though, i asked the organisers of European Champs if they would consider an Adult Ceili comp for next year, they came back straight away and said they could have fitted us in this year! It was to short notice, but fingers crossed we'll get to go next year.Fancy a trip to Spain?? -- Adult Ceili-er,

W00t!! Sign me up!! That's just awesome; please keep us posted about this ...maybe at the adult ID board? www.voy.com/217688/ -- another adult ceili dncr
Replies:
Subject: Catskill Mountain Feis

Author:
Committee
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 06:50:21 05/01/09 Fri

The syllabus for the 2009 Catskill Mountain Feis has been posted at www.catskillfeis.com.

Adult solos, figures, and champs.....
Subject: NAIDCs?

Author:
headin' to the Opry?
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 08:56:54 03/26/09 Thu

Registration for the North American championships is open now I see and the deadline is May 1.

So who's headed in this year?
Replies:
Subject: New line of wigs that includes one for adults, the Roisin: www.celticcurls.com. I've bought from this vendor before and she's fantastic. Lots of colors to choose from.

Author:
Dancin' in California
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 16:05:34 04/23/09 Thu

Replies:
Subject: I Heart That Dance Worlds Photo Contest, Entry Deadline This Friday!

Author:
Ally and Nic
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 14:26:17 04/20/09 Mon

Just a reminder that we'll be accepting entries until Friday April 24th for our 2009 Worlds Photo Contest -- full details and rules can be read on the blog here:

http://iheartthatdance.blogspot.com/2009/04/photo-contest.html

Thanks so much for taking a look!
Subject: How many adult dancers started with kids competing but still going?

Author:
girls doing different sports
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 16:30:36 04/10/09 Fri

My comps this year are perhaps only our local feis ... might possible do another one or two within driving distance.

After the girls became so busy with upper levels of school and sports at the schools it is way different with ID.

I do not see why I would stop competing totally but financially it does not make much sense to travel/etc. So looks like a small number of competitions each year for me.

Good luck all.
Replies:
Subject: Your game plan

Author:
Walking Wounded
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 08:36:22 04/08/09 Wed

Hello All, Just wondering for folks that work full time and are in the "and overs" that have some old injuries to keep in check, what is your work out routine realistically. I take class twice a week and actually love to practice but need to be in better shape so as not to re-injure various injuries (mostly old stress fractures). I felt a tweak of the latest healed stress fracture practicing hornpipes and about panicked. Much better now, but you know that "is it the weather tweaking the old injury, my need to slim down, or a stress fracture waiting to rehappen?" Anyhow, I'd practice instead of work out in a heartbeat. Working out seems best done in the morning. Used to be I could roll out of the house around 5:00 or 5:30 am and hit the gym or swim, but my energy is sapped. After my work day I'm all about practicing (icing on the cake). Anyhow, I'm ranting but tell me how you all make it work? What work out plan gives you the most bang for your buck? Huge thanks all!
Replies:
Subject: Big Apple Feis

Author:
The Guy
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 03:45:12 03/30/09 Mon

To Una & the organizers of the Big Apple Feis:

Thank you for a great day! The venue was fantastic - to be able to dance solo on an "Oireachtas" stage was an experience that we adults don't get too often (if at all). The Adjudicators & Musicians were wonderful - very warm & receptive to us old folks. The schedule was also very adult-friendly. I say that because when the adults dance in the morning, we're usually followed by the kids, so towards the end of our competition, the room is filled with MAIDs with "delightful" expressions of "Are they done yet?", and "Adults? Oh, Pu-leeze".

I was also there on Saturday with my DD, and she really enjoyed it because it had the energy and feel of the Oireachtas. (She liked it so much that she tagged along with me on Sunday to watch her school-mates compete!).

I certainly hope that you plan to do this again next year - perhaps we can talk this up & get more adults to compete.
Replies:
Subject: Another good post on DDN (no I don't belong, so here it is:)

Author:
He makes SO much sense!
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 09:36:20 03/31/09 Tue

"Celtic Cat - I appreciate you sounding off about AC. In these economic times when all I hear about is how feis registrations are down it would seem the powers that be would be trying to get "more people in the tent," not trying to keep them out. There are very good adults at my school who have stopped all competition because they had accomplished about everything they could as adults but don't want to drop down. There are 5 or 6 feises in Denver now that no longer get their money because there is not an adult option for them. Thats just 2 dancers at one school. You would think AC would do the math.

I've said it here before, but families with competing adults are more likely to continue in the sport as family activities are more like to get limited entertainment dollars as opposed to something that is just specific to one child. And all of those competitors have to buy shoes, pay for lessons, etc. I'm sure Fay's shoes is very happy that this adult continues to dance given I just spent a $140 on new hard shoes last weekend and $85 on new softs the month before."
Replies:
Subject: www.deancrouch.co.uk would like to wish all the competitors the very best of luck at the world championships 2009

Author:
www.deancrouch.co.uk
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 08:06:43 04/03/09 Fri

Subject: Adult Competitions - where are they?

Author:
thanks for the help
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 08:10:43 04/01/09 Wed

Hi, I have an adult interested in dancing in competition. I haven't had this before so I was surprised to find that the feis she wanted to enter (Buffalo) doesn't seem to offer competitions for adults. Are adult competitions still offered at other feis? Does she enter beginner 15 and over?

Thanks in advance
Replies:
Subject: Anyone going to the Lynn feis? Any CT dancers out there who compete?

Author:
might try it...
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12:03:45 04/01/09 Wed

Replies:
Subject: Stuck at home for Worlds?

Author:
Ally and Nic
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 06:23:23 04/01/09 Wed

We here at I Heart That! Dance are too :( Lucky for us, journalism graduate student and Irish dancer S.J. will be there writing for the Irish Times and Hornpipe.net so she's going to be sending back regular updates via the website Twitter AND posting daily on our blog!

S.J. has posted her bio on our blog already, and if you scroll on down the page we've added some instructions on how to sign up for Twitter (it's easy!) as well as hopefully answered some common questions about how to keep your account protected. You can also read S.J.'s original post on DDN here:

http://www.dance.net/topic/8088880/1/Irish/Want-Worlds-updates-Follow-me-on-Twitter.html

Feel free to post comments on S.J.'s posts on our blog -- we do moderate them so they won't appear immediately. But we'd love to hear from you -- feel free to post good lucks, congratulations and to let S.J. know if you'd like to hear about something in particular! We're also happy to add YOUR photos if you email them to us, but note that we don't identify dancers unless specifically instructed to.

We here at I Heart That! Dance are too :( Lucky for us, journalism graduate student and Irish dancer S.J. will be there writing for the Irish Times and Hornpipe.net so she's going to be sending back regular updates via the website Twitter AND posting daily on our blog!

S.J. has posted her bio on our blog already, and if you scroll on down the page we've added some instructions on how to sign up for Twitter (it's easy!) as well as hopefully answered some common questions about how to keep your account protected. You can also read S.J.'s original post on DDN here:

http://www.dance.net/topic/8088880/1/Irish/Want-Worlds-updates-Follow-me-on-Twitter.html

Feel free to post comments on S.J.'s posts on our blog -- we do moderate them so they won't appear immediately. But we'd love to hear from you -- feel free to post good lucks, congratulations and to let S.J. know if you'd like to hear about something in particular! We're also happy to add YOUR photos if you email them to us, but note that we don't identify dancers unless specifically instructed to.

GOOD LUCK to all competitors at Worlds and safe journey to those folks travelling!
Replies:
Subject: For Swarovski Stones and Iconic Crystal Stones please visit http://www.iconicdancer.com

Author:
iconic dancer
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 06:33:33 03/30/09 Mon

Subject: Irish Dancing Socks

Author:
lucky
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 09:36:59 03/29/09 Sun

Best Price Around For Irish Dancing Socks

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&Item=140309070748&Category=112426&_trksid=p3907.m29&_trkparms=algo%3DLVI%26its%3DI%26otn%3D2

Tape, Sock Glue, CD's also available from this store!
Subject: Total Irish Dancing Volume One Now Available

Author:
www.totalirishdancing.com
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 16:31:53 03/27/09 Fri

Hi Everybody!

TID are delighted to announce that the Winners of Our Design an Album Competition are 21 year old Christina Allanson from Jersey for her fantastic cover design and the Hennigan O’Loughlin School Of Irish Dance for their wonderful photos. These can all be seen on our website and on the album.

Total Irish Dancing Volume One is Now Complete and Available on CD & Download direct from our Website!! The Full Album can be very easily downloaded for the very reasonable price of $16 (£11.15) from the site or purchased on CD from $19 plus P&P. We are also offering Single Track Downloads at $2 each.

Check Out Our Newest Sample From the Album On Our Website!

Our CD will also be available at the Worlds so keep an eye Out!!!

Check Out Our Website www.totalirishdancing.com to find ID’s Hottest New Music.

We’d also like to thank Everyone for their brilliant entries to our competition. It was a very tough Decision in the End. We will be displaying some of our top Picks on the TotalIrishDancing.com over the next few Days!

A Big Thank You From
The TID Team

Please Feel Free To Email Us With Queries : info@totalirishdancing.com
Subject: CCE Feis Registration opens March 28

Author:
dcdancer
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 05:41:04 03/24/09 Tue

The Comhaltas Irish Dance Festival (CCE Feis) will open for registration this Saturday, March 28th at 8am. (THe feis has been known to fill in less than a day, as quickly as 3-4 hours, so if you're interested, please don't wait to sign up.)

Please note that this year they will be using WWW.FEISWEB.COM for registrations.

A complete syllabus can be seen by going to http://home.earthlink.net/~lfrank2/
Replies:
Subject: Ghillies with support and/or cushioning?

Author:
Dancer with tired feet
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 20:42:11 03/25/09 Wed

My ghillies have stretched out and I need new ones. I have plantar fasciitis so I'm looking to get some with a little cushioning on the bottom if possible or any kind of support at all. The ones I have now are just the plain leather with the flat insole. also, related to this, what do you think would be the best way of using my old ghillies until I can get new ones? Stuff the toes? Tape something in the back by the heel to keep my foot pushed forward into the toe?
Replies:
Subject: Victoria School Feis

Author:
Alison Paladini TCRG
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12:57:36 03/24/09 Tue

Hi everyone, I hope you will join us in attending the Victoria School Feis May 1,2,3, 2009. entries are now being taken online at www.feisworx.com
Two things to note, US entries can send us cheques with an extra $3 charge before April 10/09 to avoid the late fee.

Also, the hood canal bridge will be closed starting May 1/09 so please choose another route!
Thanks
Alison
Subject: Anyone going to Celtic Fling (in Penn)?

Author:
mp
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 08:22:38 03/18/09 Wed

Replies:
Main index ] [ Archives: 123456789[10] ]
[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-8
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.