VoyForums
1 CLICK GIVES FREE FOOD!
www.TheHungerSite.com
Protect Habitat with a Click!
www.TheRainforestSite.com
Non-profit ad served by VoyForums...

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 1234567[8]910 ]

Spearfish Lake Tales
Spearfish Lake Tales Message Board
Welcome! This board is intended for discussion of Wes Boyd's writings as posted on Spearfish Lake Tales;
or other message boards. Discussion of other authors that frequent these boards or sites is not off topic.

Please keep it clean and somewhere close to being on topic.
Spearfish Lake Tales

Subject: Stupid question

Author:
Wes
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 22:37:52 11/20/12 Tue

I have a stupid question on a minor point in a story I'm kicking around. I'm planning a scene set in a dorm room at a private college in the late 1950s, and I'm presuming the college would have something like a housemother to keep the lid on, enforce separation of the sexes, and probably keep booze out of the dorms. It would be very strict in comparison to what we're used to today. However, the "housemother" would in this case be a man. What would be the term used to describe him? Housefather? Something else?

-- Wes
Replies:
Subject: Flooding the Grand Canyon

Author:
Jerry
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 19:07:43 11/22/12 Thu

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/torrent-water-blasts-colorado-river-artificial-flood-article-1.1206296
Subject: WASPS

Author:
Skip
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 08:32:10 11/22/12 Thu

Been a long time since I've heard about the WASPS. Not too many people remember about them. They were brave women who for a long time were treated badly and then forgotten.
Subject: Albburg???

Author:
Robert Moskowitz
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 21:15:47 11/04/12 Sun

Albburg Germany???

I assume this is as real a university as Spearfish Lake is a city.

This past May I was at a conference at Aalborg University in Denmark...
Replies:
Subject: wiki hosting

Author:
bytemangler
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 22:24:38 11/06/12 Tue

I've been more active in the wiki up to the past few months, when I essentially dropped from the fade of the earth:-(

HOWEVER, I do web site design and also resell hosting services. If we can come up with $10/mo, I have a rock solid hosting service I use - pair.com. Since I resell several client accounts and pay quarterly, the net cost (at my cost) would be somewhat less than $10/mo.

I would be willing to kick in $1 (or maybe more) / month if there are enough others who would also contribute. I would set up the hosting account and make the ftp password available to Mike or whoever and provide monthly traffic reports (it's automated, so I don't need to do much).

I only ask that someone else would step up to being the treasurer of the operation.

Any interest? Contact me at my gmail address; I'm switching computers and don't know when I'll be back on the forum
Replies:
Subject: Revised The Next Generation now available

Author:
Wes
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 21:05:02 11/13/12 Tue

The revised version of The Next Generation has been uploaded to the web page and is available from the Store in .rtf, .pdf, and e-book formats. The Next Generation is also available from Lulu in epub, PDF and hardcopy formats; from Amazon.com, in mobi format; and from Barnes and Noble in the epub format. Go to the The Next Generation store page for order information. The revision fixes various typos and boo-boos but there are no major changes to the story line.
Subject: Sandy

Author:
Boyd Percy
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 21:41:54 10/27/12 Sat

I hope all the readers of this forum in the Eastern U.S. get through the storm with minimal damage and injury.
Replies:
Subject: State of the Wiki

Author:
Michael Slade
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 19:21:20 10/29/12 Mon

The SPLT Wiki has not be accessible probably since late last Friday.

It looks like the problem is at the wiki hosting site.

Sam Michaels is working to find out the problem.

One of us will post an update as soon as we have some useful information.

thanks
Michael Slade
Replies:
Subject: Re: Another Author cites healing power of Grand Canyon

Author:
sarah
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 08:17:07 10/29/12 Mon

So, right, across the Pond, there's a load of bloggers who are completely insane. I mean, really barking mad, in a good way. They had this get together so the nuttiest one could release his album (which I hear is fantastic) and apparently, right, they were talking about me. *me*! I find this flattering and terrifying all at the same time.

But for people who know the correct side of the road to drive on, are you organising a suprise leaving party for me or what? I've dropped enough hints to Will, but he may need a hand.
http://www.grandcanyon-nationalpark.org/trip-planner/
Subject: Revised Square One now available

Author:
Wes
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 20:58:49 10/28/12 Sun

The revised version of Square One has been uploaded to the web page and is available from the Store in .rtf, .pdf, and e-book formats.

Square One is also available from Lulu in epub, PDF and hardcopy formats; from Amazon.com, in mobi format; and from Barnes and Noble in the epub format. Go to the Square One store page for order information.

The revision fixes various typos and boo-boos but there are no major changes to the story line.

The project to re-edit the oldest books is back under way after a summer often spent doing other things. The Next Generation will be next, and fairly soon. I have hopes of the rest of the oldest books being done by the first of the year.

-- Wes
Subject: Susan - Glossary

Author:
Booker
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12:55:19 10/27/12 Sat

Hi,
firstly thanks for your great stories.
Secondly there are some minor erros in the glossary_
- Kinder, Kirke und Küche -> Kirche not Kirke
- Hauptschulabschluß is the lowest degree in German school system, which allows you to attend the Berufsschule to get the knowlage for the job your are learning at your job site. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hauptschule#The_Hauptschule_in_Germany
In the wikipedia article are also links to Realschule and Gymnasium which might help the other reader, who are not German, too.
Also the terms Unterprima and Oberprima are only used by older people or students until the late sixties early seventies. Today you only number the grades you are in. So Unterprima is grade 12 or in German die zwöfte Klasse and the Oberprima is grade 13 or in German die dreizehnte Klasse.
CU
Booker
Subject: A New Look at the Canyon

Author:
Noah Katz
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 14:43:54 10/24/12 Wed

Those of us who can't (yet) take one of the Canyon trips may have a chance at a more thorough glimpse of what we're missing. Google is starting to add trails in the Grand Canyon to its Google Maps database.

Google cameras map popular Grand Canyon trails
http://abclocal.go.com/wtvd/story?section=news/national_world&id=8858137
Replies:
Subject: Grand Canyon : Blink of Time

Author:
Brian Jones
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 19:38:55 10/20/12 Sat

For those of you who like "travelling" the Grand Canyon, you will probably like to view a time lapse video taken on several months which includes some lovely photographs.

http://www.gadling.com/2012/10/20/the-grand-canyon-captured-in-timelapse/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+weblogsinc%2Fgadling+%28Gadling%29

One long URL!

Brian
Replies:
Subject: New book -- Susan -- now available for preorder

Author:
Wes
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 21:05:08 10/14/12 Sun

The next book from Spearfish Lake Tales, Susan, is now available for preorder. Here's the summary:

The horizons in Spearfish Lake seem to close in more and more on Susan McMahon after she returns from spending her junior year of high school as an exchange student in Germany. She speaks several languages fluently and has a wider view of the world than most. Now, she's finding it hard to fit back into the town where she grew up, especially since her year away from school is causing her problems. But, it's not a good idea to cross Susan or her family, as they don't take stupidity lying down.

Readers familiar with Busted Axle Road will remember Susan being born. Most parents think their kids grow up to be something special, but Susan is a little different than they expected!

You can preorder Susan for as little as $19.99 through the Spearfish Lake Tales Store. Preorders will be sent sometime on the afternoon of October 21, local time.

-- Wes
Subject: Possible new occasional sales venue

Author:
Rob
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 14:52:41 10/09/12 Tue

I drift through many circles, and today was informed of the Humble eBook Bundle, which is a charity-drive pay-what-you-want model for a collection of eBooks available for a limited time at www.humblebundle.com.

Wes, you might be able to get a lot of exposure if you were to contact the Humble Bundle folks and discuss the possibility of including some of your books in future eBook bundles. I've been enjoying your books immensely and am very grateful that you are kind enough to share them for free on this and some other sites, and truly think that your books should have a higher profile.

Rereading that first paragraph, I realize it looks like I'm a shill, but I assure you that I am not. (:
Replies:
Subject: More Midget racing history

Author:
Greg B.
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 16:27:25 09/28/12 Fri

After reading today's chapter, I thought I'd try to find a Ford 60 V-8 for sale, out of curiosity. Instead I found a pretty good history of Midget racing from the 30s through the 60s.
http://alblixtracinghistory.typepad.com/al_blixt_auto_racing_hist/2010/03/v860-the-little-engine-that-could.html
Replies:
Subject: In love with a river guide

Author:
Jim Moore
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 23:16:35 10/06/12 Sat

Found this song from the ARTA website.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BtuZ_v9gKyo
Subject: First Impressions whilst traveling

Author:
Leo
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 20:41:44 10/02/12 Tue

I was re-reading Dawnwalker recently, and at the start of chapter 66, Randy is noticing: "The clear air -- that was what got to Randy the most."

It got me to thinking; I had recently driven from where I live on the East Coast (Maryland,) out to a trade-show in Las Vegas, and took the chance to go driving through some of Colorado, Utah, Nevada, Arizona, and New Mexico.

To me, it wasn't clear air, but rather a fundamentally different-- sound. I don't know if it was the relative thinness of the air (I was generally over 5000 feet once I went past Colorado,) or the lack of buildings or trees, but there was a general sense of... quiet. Not that it was particularly quiet, but rather, at least, in the East, sound is diffused by the humidity, the density of the air. And it comes back at you from the nearby trees, buildings, or what-have-you.

Out there, if you spoke, slammed your car door, or whatever, the sound passed you. Once. Never to return. And sounds from others seemed.. sharper. Less diffused and deadened.

So what other things to people notice when they travel? Or have traveled?
Replies:
Subject: Jazz Harp stuff

Author:
Ed
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 22:08:43 09/30/12 Sun

Element of interest, thinking about Miley:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZNz8IM__9M&feature=related

I suspect that there are others out there who recognize that Celtic Harps are pretty versatile.
Replies:
Subject: Racing News

Author:
Boyd Percy
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 22:16:56 09/29/12 Sat

The Associated Press reported that Chris Economaki has died at age 91. He was editor of the National Speed Sport News for more than 60 years. He also appeared on TV for than 40 years covering motor racing. He was part of ABC's first telecast in 1961 from Daytona International Speedway. I remember seeing him many times in pit row interviewing drivers and others and reporting on the status of the racing cars. I remember Wes mentioning his publication in Bullring Days though I don't if he mentioned Chris by name. He was probably reporting racing during the era when Spud, Frank and Mel were racing.
Subject: The Eagle of the Sea

Author:
Wes
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 11:06:19 08/25/12 Sat

Once again, I wrote a column for the paper that I think many here would find interesting.

-- Wes

----

The USS Constitution, the world's oldest warship still in commission, got to sail for seventeen minutes on Sunday, the first time it had been under sail in thirteen years.

Naturally, the Navy is pretty careful with this treasured relic, now over two hundred years old, so it was stirring to see it under sail again. The War of 1812 is a long time ago, of course, and there weren't many bright spots in it -- but other than the Battles of Lake Erie and New Orleans, the Constitution, otherwise known as "Old Ironsides" was involved with most of the high spots.

Back in the 1830s, this famous ship was getting to be pretty run down, and there was talk of scrapping it. However, even back then there were people that respected the past. There was a law student who wrote poetry for fun who took affront to the plan and wrote a poem, the first verse of which goes:

Ay, tear her tattered ensign down!
Long has it waved on high,
And many an eye has danced to see
That banner in the sky;
Beneath it rung the battle shout,
And burst the cannon's roar;--
The meteor of the ocean air
Shall sweep the clouds no more.

The poem was picked up and reprinted all over the country. It was the main force in saving the ship, and made the career of one of our nation's most respected poets, Oliver Wendell Holmes, Sr. Without him, the harpies of the shore would surely have plucked the eagle of the sea.

If I recall correctly, during the Civil War the Constitution was moved from Annapolis to New York for obvious reasons. It wasn't until about 1878 that the Navy decided to move the ship back to Annapolis. At the age of then about eighty, it was decided it wasn't safe for the ship to be out by itself, so it was decided to have it towed back. A scratch crew was pulled together to ride the ship during the tow.

Unfortunately, the tug selected for the tow was aged and asthmatic itself. Off the coast of New Jersey, it could barely make headway with the tow, so the captain of the tug signaled the Constitution, asking if it could put on a little sail to make things go easier. Old Ironsides broke out a few sails, but shortly afterward the dissatisfied tugboat captain still wasn't making much progress, so he asked the ship to break out a few more sails, and of course, the captain of the Constitution did.

They still weren't making a lot of progress, so a third time the tugboat captain asked if the old relic could help out. The captain of the Constitution replied in the affirmative. He dropped the towline altogether, and sailed past the tugboat breaking out every sail they could find on board. They beat the tug to Annapolis by four days.

She may have been a relic out of the past, extremely aged for a ship in those days, but the Constitution was still the eagle of the sea.

I read this story in a magazine many years ago and am not sure I remember all the details, but that was, if I recall correctly, the last time the Constitution was out on its own.

The ship was moved to Boston many years later; most years it's just turned around once each year to equalize weathering. But on its two hundredth birthday, they took it out for a short sail around Boston Harbor in celebration, and Sunday they took it out again to celebrate the two hundredth anniversary of the ship's legendary victory over the British frigate HMS Guerriere.

Those who watched it -- or saw a story about it on TV -- could not have helped but be thrilled to see the ship under sail once again. Our thanks to Oliver Wendell Holmes for doing his part in making it possible.
Replies:
Subject: Midwestern Midget for auction

Author:
Bugg
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 23:06:44 09/16/12 Sun

I get notices of upcoming auctions from this outfit, and I just about dropped my teeth when I saw this one:

http://www.rasmus.com/auction_detail.php?id=187461

Brief Description:

A rare & well-know, Midwest, Vintage, Don Edmonds designed Midget winner having undergone a full restoration. Anything & everything was rebuilt or replaced as needed. ONLINE NOW! M1249
Replies:
Subject: Continuous flying for 64+ days...

Author:
Mike
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 11:43:51 09/25/12 Tue

I love the book Rocinante... I love flying...

but ...

>...imagine spending over two months in a Cessna 172,
>flying twenty four hours a day, without even landing
>for fuel. That's exactly what two pilots did back in
>1958 in the California and Nevada desert. Bob Timm
>and John Cook set a world endurance record, remaining
>airborne for just under 65 days.

Read the story at http://tvsac.net/BarryMeek/BM0803.html

I'll bet that one of the first stops they made after
they landed was a long hot shower...

Mike
Replies:
Subject: Grand Canyon Deaths

Author:
Boyd Percy
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 15:45:01 09/17/12 Mon

I read in the news today that so far this year that 8 people were killed in the Grand Canyon. This was down from 21 the previous year. The deaths apparently come from people overestimating their ability or underestimating the danger of the Canyon. This reminded me of Al Buck telling his crew that they should be careful since the canyon was trying to kill them.
Subject: Beyond The Far Horizon down again?

Author:
William Roberts
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 13:37:44 09/14/12 Fri

Anyone else having problems getting to the Beyond The Far Horizon site? I have been getting on ok since Gina switched to the ".NET" address, but I could not get on since this morning. I just tried to get on th the BAEN Ebooks site and that is not working either, but I could get in here and onto the ASSTR site and other places. Any ideas?
Regards, Bill R
Replies:
Subject: wiki down?

Author:
Mike
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 22:17:24 09/13/12 Thu

Anybody else notice that the wiki
has been down all day?

Even a ping to spearfishlaketaleswiki.com
times out.

First tried around 9am this morning,
it's now 7:15pm (Pacific time) and
it's still dead.

Mike
Replies:
Subject: Modern Steam Locomotives

Author:
Greg B
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 16:57:13 07/20/12 Fri

In chapter 18 of Hannegan's Cove, the idea of a modern steam locomotive is mentioned in passing. The idea struck me as very interesting for two reasons: 1. modern diesel locomotives use the diesel engine to generate electric power, which drives electric motors; 2. the late-generation steamships, especially naval vessels, used steam turbines to generate electricity which drove electric motors (basically one step from current nuclear subs and carriers).

So it seems that steam-turbine electric locomotives are technically feasible and might have clear environmental advantages. Maybe if they burn hydrogen to produce the steam?

Did anybody else think along these lines?
Replies:
Subject: I-5 Moved

Author:
Skip
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 20:57:26 09/10/12 Mon

Rereading GITM, when did I-5 move from California to Colorado?
Replies:
Subject: Cattail Redux

Author:
Boyd Percy
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 15:24:46 08/28/12 Tue

August 29th is a "unlucky" day for New Orleans. Looks like Isaac will hit seven years to the day after Katrina. I saw a cartoon in the Baton Rouge paper this morning. It showed two carpenters on a roof in N. O. One said, "There ! We're finished rebuilding what Katrina destroyed!" In the background one could see the storm clouds of Isaac heading towards them.

Maybe Roger, Cattail and the Amish will have to return.

To my fellow forum readers along the path of Isaac, I hope you stay high and dry. I'm just hoping it won't be like Gustav in 2008.
Replies:
Subject: Revised Girl in the Mirror available

Author:
Wes
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 21:01:25 09/06/12 Thu

The revised version of The Girl in the Mirror has been uploaded to the web page and is available from the Spearfish Lake Tales Store in .rtf, .pdf, and e-book formats. It is also available from Lulu and Amazon.com, in various formats and should be available from Barnes and Noble in the next couple days (they take longer to process than other places.) Go to the The Girl in the Mirror store page for order information.

The revision fixes various typos and boo-boos.

-- Wes
Subject: Give a wink for Neil

Author:
Wes
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 15:53:10 09/04/12 Tue

Here's another column I did for the paper. Granted, I did it last week but I've been busy and didn't think to put it up till just now. -- Wes

-----

As most of us know by now, Neil Armstrong died last week. There was a half moon the night he died -- and it was as if the moon itself was at half staff in his honor.

I suppose I could use all sorts of platitudes, starting with "Earth is the cradle of mankind, but mankind cannot live in the cradle forever." But I think I'll try to stay away from that.

My own opinion is that back in the late sixties someone from the National Aeronautical and Space Administration made the best possible choice of the first man to set foot on a celestial body other than earth. There would have been other choices; others could have been first -- but he honored the accomplishment better than any of the other candidates of the time would have been likely to have managed.

Neil Armstrong was a very private man, very self-effacing. He preferred to let his actions speak for themselves.
In an era when we're almost paralyzed by floods of publicity, of talking heads, of politicans and public figures from the entertainment world doing everything possible to increase their public image, Armstrong, who did something greater than all of them, preferred to turn his back on the publicity machine and let history be the judge. He was not a self serving opportunist like many I could name; he was just a quiet pioneer.
I won't be around to settle it, but if I had to bet, I wouldn't be surprised that a thousand years from now the only name from the twentieth century that will be commonly known is his.

It would have been possible for Armstrong to have made a career out of having been the first man to step out on the moon. Great amounts of fame, fortune, political honors and adulation were his for the asking. He turned his back on all of them: to have capitalized on the accomplishment or to allow him to be used by others for those purposes would have only cheapened it. That shows just how great a man he truly was. He never sought to make a profit from having been the first man on the moon, for he saw it as an accomplishment for all mankind, and he was just the representative of it.

For the rest of his life, he just remained modest, self-effacing man he had always been. He became a college professor, teaching aeronautics, and from the reports I've heard he did a great job of it. People that knew the intensely private man have said that he was very personable, and had a great sense of humor.
I have heard it said that more than half the people alive today were not yet born when Armstrong stepped off the Lunar Excursion Module for the first time. We have moved past the days of that driving dream, of the bright and shining goal that Apollo 11 represented, and we are the poorer for it.

It was somewhat buried in the news stories of the last few days, but the closing paragraph of the statement from his family I think deserves wider play that it has received:

"As much as Neil cherished his privacy, he always appreciated the expressions of good will from people around the world and from all walks of life.

"While we mourn the loss of a very good man, we also celebrate his remarkable life and hope that it serves as an example to young people around the world to work hard to make their dreams come true, to be willing to explore and push the limits, and to selflessly serve a cause greater than themselves.

"For those who may ask what they can do to honor Neil, we have a simple request. Honor his example of service, accomplishment and modesty, and the next time you walk outside on a clear night and see the moon smiling down at you, think of Neil Armstrong and give him a wink."
Replies:
Subject: Livonia makes the news again...

Author:
Mike
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 03:48:34 09/03/12 Mon

From
http://editorial.autos.msn.com/blogs/autosblogpost-ros.aspx?post=139752d9-a351-4cd1-abb7-043b44918782&icid=autos_3426

"According to a new list compiled by the National Motorists Association, a drivers-rights advocacy organization, the worst speed traps in North America are in a suburb of Dallas, a small city in Michigan and a town in Ontario, Canada.

The NMA's official definition of a speed trap is a spot that "combine[s] arbitrarily low speed limits with heavy traffic enforcement designed to generate ticket revenue.

Flower Mound, Texas; Livonia, Mich.; and Windsor, Ontario, were the three worst offenders by the NMA's criteria.
Subject: AT on Nat Geo Wild

Author:
Skip
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 20:58:42 09/02/12 Sun

Watched a show on the AT on Nat Geo Wild. Pretty interesting showes big chunks of trail. both ends and as much in between as was possible in an hour.
Subject: I-67

Author:
Philip Roberts
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 01:21:28 08/29/12 Wed

Wes,

Where do you see I-67 located with respect to US-131?

Is Bradford about where Three River's is?

Thanks

Philip (your "neighbour" 100 miles west) Roberts
Replies:
Subject: Bullring Days Two: Bradford Speedway starts

Author:
Wes
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 20:46:36 08/19/12 Sun

I've just posted the opening chapter of Bullring Days Two: Bradford Speedway. There will be 27 chapters.

Pre-orders have been sent, and sales on Lulu.com have been enabled.

I will be up until about 11 PM EDT (UT-4?) if anyone wants to make an order.

-- Wes
Replies:
Subject: Lapeer Mi

Author:
Lew
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 13:09:26 08/17/12 Fri

Hey Wes;

Will you keep writing now that you've won 337M powerBall? (Wishful Thinking, I'm sure).

Lew
Replies:
Subject: Current Events

Author:
Boyd Percy
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 21:01:33 08/25/12 Sat

I noticed that Neil Armstrong died. In the early chapters of "River Rat", I remember that Louise Buck told Scooter the she ran as a boatman for the first time on the day that Neil Armstrong walked on the Moon. Also, there was a report that a bear killed a Denali backpacker which had not happened since the park was opened in 1917. I remember that Crystal told Randy in "Dawnwalker" that she wanted to climb Mt McKinley in Denali National Park. Maybe she was lucky that she didn't do that yet,
Subject: A Real Villain

Author:
Boyd Percy
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 23:13:44 08/07/12 Tue

This Joel Lancaster is the best villain that Wes has created so far. The kind that likes to pick on and bully the small and weak. Too bad he didn't show up at Rachel's house while Randy was still there.

By the way, does anyone on this forum use Foxfire as a browser? I recently upgraded to Safari 6. I wasn't able to log onto my on-line banking site. I later tried Chrome; still no luck. When I went to the local Apple store, one of their "genius's" suggested I try Foxfire and even loaded it onto my Mac. It worked without a hitch. If anyone wants to give any advice about using Foxfire, please send me an email. Thanks.
Replies:
Subject: Model Garage

Author:
Joe
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 21:34:08 08/21/12 Tue

Wes

When you typed that in today's episode, it brought back so many memories of my childhood in the 60's. I could not wait for the next issue of Popular Science and I would always read the Model Garage.

I remember one episode about self adjusting brakes and how they only adjusted when you went backwards. Saved my Dad a trip to the garage to look @ the brakes.
Replies:
Subject: "Raceaholics Anonymous,"

Author:
K Pelle
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 21:26:53 08/21/12 Tue

WhenI first read the line: "I’d never heard of a "Raceaholics Anonymous," but I’m sure I could have qualified to be a charter member" - I just about bust out laughing because that could have been me at one time. It took a head on crash into a concrete wall and a threat of a divorce if I ever climbed into another race car to get me off the track, so I know the feeling Mel was having.

kp
Subject: Link Error

Author:
Lisa
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 19:26:25 08/21/12 Tue

Hi Wes,

When you click on Intro (http://spearfishlaketales.com/25br2/br1-00.htm) it takes you to http://spearfishlaketales.com/25br2/br2.htm and gives you a page not found error.

As always, your mission should you decide to accept it is fix the error. IMHO, forget the error and write faster, your stories bring me a lot of pleasure.

Lisa
Replies:
Subject: Shades of Myleigh

Author:
Boyd Percy
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12:10:51 08/20/12 Mon

I just read this morning where a young woman who was the valedictorian of her graduating class was denied her diploma because she used the word "hell" in her speech to her class. It seems like her school wanted a written apology before they would give her her diploma. I wonder what the response would have been if the young woman had used the same words that Myleigh used in her speech.
Subject: Re: Hannegan's Cove

Author:
K Pelle aka dotB
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 21:37:33 08/16/12 Thu

Thanks, Wes. Another top notch tale well told.

KP
Replies:
Subject: Jon and Tanisha need to enforce one of their patents

Author:
Andrew
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 11:27:33 08/16/12 Thu

The Maser has been rediscovered: http://www.nature.com/news/microwave-laser-fulfills-60-years-of-promise-1.11199

If there is enough computing power in my car to power one of them, maybe I should look at installing one. Then again maybe not.
Subject: Curiosity

Author:
bigolal
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 08:03:24 08/10/12 Fri

I am assuming that Lancaster flew from San Jose to Camden, then rented a car to get to Spearfish Lake. If so, how was he able to carry a pistol on board the airplane? Another example of how well we are protected by airport security? Now, had he been a small child in a stroller, or a nursing mother, or a senior citizen with a pacemaker or a colostomy bag, it would have been a different story, wouldn't it?
Replies:
Subject: Bullring Days

Author:
Boyd Percy
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 02:38:00 08/14/12 Tue

I was just reading about the most recent Pikes Peak Hill Climb. They have paved the road all the way to the top which lead to very fast times and spectacular crashes. No deaths reported. I do remember seeing it on TV during the 60s and 70s. Many Indy type racers participated. I don't remember if Mel Austin and his buddies ever ran that race during Bullring Days One. Maybe Mel and Arlene and Frank and Spud could give it a shot in one of the future books. Eagerly looking forward to Bullring Days Two. Though I've enjoyed Hannegan's Cove, I look forward to reading a non-Randy story.
Subject: An interesting article on the Appalachian Trail

Author:
Mike
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 16:02:09 08/13/12 Mon

"After 75 Years, Appalachian Trail Still Evolving"

It's a short article but still worth reading...

http://www.weather.com/news/appalachian-trail-75-anniversary-20120813

BTW the 4th photo in the 7-photo slide show under the primary photo is Katahdin Mountain from a distance.
Subject: Bullring Days Two: Bradford Speedway preorders being taken

Author:
Wes
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 20:05:50 08/12/12 Sun

Pre-orders are now being taken for the next book -- Bullring Days Two: Bradford Speedway (by Wes Boyd ©2009, ©2012)

Dirt-track race-car driver Mel Austin is badly injured in a crash and wakes up in the hospital being nursed by friend and fellow driver Arlene. They decide it's time to grow up and live a more conventional life, so marry and settle down to teaching and nursing, jobs they both like. But, they've been racing cars long enough that it's hard to stay away from the tracks and out of the cars on them . . . How can they scratch the itch without exposure to the danger? A blast back into the past, to the fun, adventure, trials and tribulations of short-track racing back in the 1960s!

Available for as little as $19.99, in RTF, MOBI, EPUB and PDF formats. Orders will be shipped in the afternoon of Sunday, August 19 (UDT-5).

Go to the Spearfish Lake Tales Store for more details.

If you're reading this on August 12 (again EDT or UDT-5), I will not be sending out early confirmations until nearly midnight as I plan on watching the Olympic closing ceremonies.

-- Wes
Subject: where is spearfish lake?

Author:
bytemangler
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 21:09:13 08/07/12 Tue

from hc26:

the trust had been airtight under Michigan law,
Replies:
Subject: hc22

Author:
bytemangler
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 22:54:15 07/29/12 Sun

minor booboo - there is a link to the next chapter at the bottom of the page but of course it goes 404.
Replies:
Subject: Chapter 25 Home is . . .

Author:
Steve
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 03:37:18 08/06/12 Mon

I first read it in a Bujold book . . .

I found out later it was a Frost quote . . .

As Danny and Rachel found out . . .

“Home is the place where, when you have to go there,
They have to take you in.”

A warm home also asks "What took you so long?" in that supportive way

Steve
Subject: Where Life imitates Spearfish Lakes

Author:
Joe
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 19:20:24 08/01/12 Wed

Annapolis, MD couple returns home after 14 years sailing round the world (and then some)

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/rosenwald-md/post/long-trip-annapolis-couple-back-home-after-14-year-boat-ride/2012/08/01/gJQA7PZdPX_blog.html?hpid=z15
Subject: Bridging material for Clark Constructions

Author:
Deadly Ernest
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 06:30:45 07/31/12 Tue

G'day Wes,

Just out of interest, I wondered why you don't have someone who served with Company D suggest Randy use Bailey Bridge for the temporary bridge he needs to the island, I'm sure they must have seen the stuff in use as it was the common temporary bridging used to replaced knocked out bridges. After all, the system was used to cross some very wide rivers in Europe during the war, including the Rhine which is reported as being a little wide in some places. He should be able to pick some up cheap at military disposals and it can be used for a wealth of things later due to the truss style design. Heck, I've seen it used in so many WW2 movies and documentaries it's not funny.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bailey_bridge

Regards,

Ernest
Replies:
Subject: Myleigh's Lit Revised

Author:
Don Yant
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 16:56:33 07/31/12 Tue

I thought people might like to see what happens to Myleigh's classics in the 21st century.

http://glo.msn.com/beauty/glo-grab-bag-8.mix?assetId=727
Replies:
Subject: Another dog race

Author:
Mike
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 01:58:08 07/31/12 Tue

I a licensed amateur radio operator and am involved with Red Cross radio communications as a volunteer. One of the ham radio mailing lists that I moderate has a member that lives in Nome, Alaska and works in commercial 2-way radio there. Just today he posted on that list a link to a web page that describes a dogsled race that I'd never heard about. Ham radio is heavily used to coordinate and support the race. I thought I'd share the photos.

Look here: http://www.xalaska.com/sweeps

Ramon rode over 1000 miles in snowmobiles in preparation and support of this event which took place in 2008.
He was heavily involved with the "Boston checkpoint".
See http://www.xalaska.com/sweeps/boston08.html

Mike
Replies:
Subject: Gender Bender / Shahes of The Girl in the Mirror

Author:
Jack
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 10:20:37 07/26/12 Thu

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2012/07/26/caster-semenya-and-the-ioc-s-olympics-gender-bender.html?utm_medium=referral&utm_source=pulsenews
Subject: Are you reading my mind?

Author:
K Pelle
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 22:01:22 07/19/12 Thu

I've been working on an extended story for the last two years and in that story I decided to have people moving to an isolated area and depending on almost the same sort of tech as will have to be used on 'Windmill Island'

I just think it's hilarious that you're using the same stuff -- way to go Wes!

KP

PS, I'm posting the second part of my tale as "Beyond the Mirror" on my yahoo group if you want a peek at what I've written so far. - kp
Replies:
Subject: Grand Canyon trip

Author:
Jim Moore
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 00:34:18 06/17/12 Sun

I'm sitting in Flagstaff after a three day drive from Florida. Thursday morning Canyon Explorations picks us up for a 15-day trip. It's the string quartet trip I learned about in Blue Beauty. Thanks Wes for turning me on to it.
Replies:
Subject: Grand Canyon Rafting - URL

Author:
Jim Wickman
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 16:24:42 07/18/12 Wed

I forgot that URLs take special treatment.

Hope this works:

http://adventure.howstuffworks.com/10-tips-grand-canyon-rafting-trip.htm
Replies:
Subject: Grand Canyon Rafting

Author:
Jim Wickman
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 16:22:10 07/18/12 Wed

Here's an interesting set of suggestions for Grand Canyon rafters. Of course, most of these tips will seem old hat to readers who have followed Crystal's adventures in the Canyon.

Subject: whitewater rafting

Author:
grandpajohn
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 14:21:43 07/17/12 Tue

Sure some of you are familiar with the Chattooga River and the rafting there. I live not too far from there but have never rafted the river. This story http://www.independentmail.com/news/2012/jul/17/twenty-four-people-out-chattooga-river-searching-n/ from Anderson Independent is a good reminder of the dangers and the reason to be alert out there.
grandpa john
Replies:
Subject: Hat Trick

Author:
Gil
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 20:11:38 07/15/12 Sun

Wes, since you re-edited Hat Trick any chance of a sequel??
Replies:
Subject: A ring for Myleigh

Author:
Boyd Percy
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 21:21:24 07/06/12 Fri

I just read where Jane Austen's ring is up for auction. Sothebys estimates the ring will go for between £20,000-30,000. I'm sure Myleigh would salivate over it.

Boyd
Replies:
Subject: Clark Construction- location

Author:
Lew
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 14:49:50 07/10/12 Tue

Wes;

On your map of Spearfish Lake you show where Clark Plywood is located, but I was wondering where Clark Construction might be located?

Lew
Replies:
Subject: Revised Hat Trick available

Author:
Wes
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 21:10:53 07/10/12 Tue

The revised version of Hat Trick has been posted. This is not a huge revision; it mostly consists of fixing typos, etc. The story has not been changed.

It is available on Amazon and Barnes and Noble. Links to those sites are available on the Spearfish Lake Tails store page.

The revised books are also available from the Spearfish Lake Tales store, and the revised version is now on the site.

-- Wes
Replies:
Subject: Absent Friend

Author:
Boyd Percy
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 23:32:32 06/18/12 Mon

This photo has to do with an American pilot shot down over Vietnam in 1966. His remains were recovered in 2010. He was buried on June 15, 2012.

http://news.yahoo.com/photos/photos-of-the-day-1339204438-slideshow/photosofday-photo-1339801332.html
Replies:
Subject: Link at end of Chapter 11

Author:
Bill
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 21:26:15 07/05/12 Thu

The Forward to Next Chapter link at the end of Chapter 11 points to Chapter 11.
Replies:
Subject: Debbie and Danny - take note!

Author:
bytemangler
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 21:33:35 07/03/12 Tue

http://roccitynews.wordpress.com/2012/07/02/history-new-life-for-seneca-language/
Subject: Double Time

Author:
Wes
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 19:46:38 06/28/12 Thu

I passed a milestone of sorts today.

Last year was not an outstanding year for my writing. Good, but not outstanding. I finished three books I started last year and got a fourth close to complete, plus work on other projects, for a total of 537,000 words -- which sounds good until you remember that Spearfish Lake Tales eats up about 624,000 words annually.

I've done better so far this year, with two new books completed, one other one started prior to this year finished, and good progress on three other projects. One book in particular is a direct result of a suggestion made in one of the "What's your thinking?" threads, and some other suggestions made in those threads have worked their way in elsewhere.

The end result is that as of this minute, my word count total for the year is around 542,000 and there are still a couple days left before the year is half over with!

I'm not promising a million words this year but have hopes. I get hot spells and cold spells, and have had two of the former and one of the latter this year. In one very hot period last month, I blew through 72,000 words in five days, (and worked my normal job three days in the process) which left my hands too sore to do much typing for a while.

This means that there are completed rough drafts enough to get up well into 2016. Now, everything there needs editing, some of it lots of editing, but that will come in time.

It's hot here today -- in excess of 100 degrees Fahrenheit. That's not as hot as the Grand Canyon can get but it's awful hot for Michigan, so it's nice to sit down here in the cool of the shop in my basement and bang on the keys.

Anyway, back to work. I won't tease you about what I have these characters doing next because it's yet another all-new series, the first book of which is planned for next year. I'm working on the third book and have inklings of what's going to happen in a potential fourth. Besides, I'm not entirely sure what's going to happen next myself. That's part of the fun of writing; this book is going in a very different direction than what I envisioned, so I surprise myself, too.

-- Wes
Replies:
Subject: A cooling thought

Author:
Rick Hannegan
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 09:20:46 06/29/12 Fri

Since we're sweltering, and since Snowplow Extra is one of my favorites, here are some links to plow videos. These were posted on the Illinois Railway Museum listserv.

Strasburg wood Russel plow video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6acPX_00M9Q

Dakota Southern Russel Plow train
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23wQyNtSWM4

Maine Eastern Plow Extra
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRN6DmC2DHQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbv_P-tAqIo Is that a Pac-Man on the plow?

NHN Plow Extra
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4Su5D_GEJE

Russell plow SLRX #22 on the St Lawrence & Atlantic Berlin Sub Looks like original panel doors
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JpEo2qio7P4

Bow NH
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=fvwrel&NR=1&v=COW2O1Nu-Hk

Green Mountain Railroad 405,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pcJcWRki7c
Subject: Beyond the Far Horizons - what happened

Author:
Bob
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 14:27:00 06/22/12 Fri

Anybody know what has happened to BtFH? Just went to the website (http://www.beyondthefarhorizon.com/) and it has either been hijacked or was abandoned. Any news on Gina Marie since her stroke?

I hate to see a good source of grown-up (instead of adolescent) stories go away.
Bob
Replies:
Subject: can anyone think of a minor character . . .

Author:
Emm Sea
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 01:00:04 06/20/12 Wed

re Chapter 5,

What a gem Nellie is! Wes, for me, after two paras of her life . . . well, I want to know more.
It'd be a cruel punishment to 'dangle' her in front of us and not tell her story.
You are, aren't you, going to tell her story? Please!
Replies:
Subject: Rough Water

Author:
K Pelle
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 14:11:43 06/22/12 Fri

Well, this has been faked in the movies before, but a couple of Canmore Alberta kayakers finally beat the Bow Falls.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/story/2012/06/21/calgary-bow-falls-kayaker.html
Subject: It just keeps getting better.

Author:
Paul
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 23:50:16 06/19/12 Tue

Ever since I stumbled across Dawnwalker on SOL it just keeps getting better. I got drawn into Randy, Crystal and Myleigh's lives and was hooked. After finishing that tale I started at the beginning and feverishly read everything Wes had available. The characters are so well written that they come to life in my imagination and seem like friends I just haven't seen in a while. The Bradford Tales brought new friends and although at first I was a little miffed that Wes started Bullring Days instead of continuing either of the other story-lines I should have trusted him more. He once again engaged me and got me immersed in Mel's life. I look forward to seeing how many other "friends" Wes will introduce me to as I wait for each installment of the current story. The latest one, Nellie, said something that struck a chord with me. It's about priorities. After reading the trip report Wes wrote about his Grand Canyon adventure and the stories focusing on Canyon Tours I've made such a trip one of my priorities. I've got some things to accomplish before I will be able to take the trip but it is a goal I am going to work towards. I've seen the river from the top of the rim, the next time will be from down on the riverbank.

I make no apologies for sounding like a fan boy. Heck I am. Wes is a darn good writer.

So please , if anyone asks you if you've read any good books lately I hope you steer them towards Spearfish Lake. We need to give Wes all the support we can so he can keep us up to date on all our new friends.
Subject: chapter 5?

Author:
bytemangler
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 21:54:05 06/19/12 Tue

almost 10 pm and hopefully waiting....
Replies:
Subject: Son of "What's your Thinking?

Author:
Wes
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 15:12:01 05/01/12 Tue

The "What's your thinking" thread has sure developed some thoughts -- and one new book so far. But it's gotten so complicated that new posts are hard to find, so let's start a new thread and abandon the old one.

The question is as before: can anyone think of a minor character in some past story that seems interesting enough to have a story written around them?

I'd really prefer if it was a character from one of the newer stories, at least one of the stories that's set on the more recent side, say, post-2000. No lead characters -- Randy, Jennlynn, or the like.

However, I'd be particularly interested in characters that aren't from Spearfish Lake -- in other words, Bradford stories, or others. I have a pretty good backlog of Spearfish Lake based stories, but am weaker on others. Let's hear some ideas!

-- Wes
Replies:
Main index ] [ Archives: 1234567[8]910 ]
[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2017 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.