|Subject: An idea to kick around|
[ Edit | View ]
Date Posted: 20:24:53 04/13/10 Tue
For some time I've been kicking around the idea of starting another story site, this one for stories that aren't mine. I do not have any active intentions of starting the site at this time, but thought I'd post this here for the sake of food for thought, and any comments or ideas anyone else might have.
I think there's room for a mostly non-erotic site concentrating on long serial stories, but with some limitations. I would probably start small and slowly expand as time and availablity of stories increased.
What would make this site different from many others is that it would mirror Spearfish Lake Tales in several ways, including downloads of complete stories before they're all posted. The big difference, though, is that I would be taking a percentage out of the income from donations and downloads to cover my site expenses and at least something for my time, but the author would see income out of it.
In the beginning there probably wouldn't be more than three or four active stories at one time, maximum, and possibly not that many. Posting would not be any more often than three times a week, and possibly less. But there's an upside to this: I can limit stories to ones that I would consider quality reading. Granted, my tastes would be reflected in this and many people might not share my tastes -- but I don't want to have to throw my time at what I'd consider to be garbage.
A few ground rules I've considered:
1. A minimum length rule -- maybe 10k words, maybe even 20k; minimum 3-5 chapters.
2. The completed book/story/project has to be in my hands before I start posting. No write and posts.
3. Sex and violence are allowable but must move the story along. No sex or violence for the sake of sex or violence.
4. Stories should be something that at least possibly could have happened in the real world, either historical or contemporary. This obviously rules out most fantasy, magic-based, vampire or similar novels. Some mild science fiction may be acceptable if the story doesn't hinge on it.
5. I reserve the right to reject anything. The amount of time I have available is as valid a reason for rejection as the quality of the submission.
6. Pen names for authors are acceptable, but handles are not. I must have the author's real name and address, although I won't propagate it if requested not to.
Let me have your thoughts on this. As I said above, I am in no way promising to set up a site like this, but I am thinking about it, and your contribution to my thinking is welcome. I'd also like to know if there's anyone out there that might want to consider contributing to the site under the rules set out above, at least as may be modified in the discussions we'll be having on this.
- Re: An idea to kick around -- Ed Greenberg, 21:42:37 04/13/10 Tue
- Re: An idea to kick around -- dotB, 22:01:53 04/13/10 Tue
- Re: An idea to kick around -- Byron Knepp aka Lee Smith, 22:28:29 04/13/10 Tue
- Re: An idea to kick around -- Doug, 23:05:14 04/13/10 Tue
- Re: An idea to kick around -- Deadly Ernest, 01:21:53 04/14/10 Wed
- Re: An idea to kick around -- Dennis Lee, 01:32:25 04/14/10 Wed
- Re: An idea to kick around -- Mark Richmond, 15:12:56 04/14/10 Wed
- Re: An idea to kick around -- GeorgeTheCar, 09:59:40 04/15/10 Thu
- Re: An idea to kick around -- Mike Harlan, 11:55:03 04/15/10 Thu
- Re: An idea to kick around -- Jim Wickman, 16:47:40 04/15/10 Thu
- Re: An idea to kick around -- Geoff, 21:39:49 04/15/10 Thu
- Re: An idea to kick around -- Kilobytemangler, 22:59:51 04/15/10 Thu
- Re: An idea to kick around -- dribbler, 09:26:25 04/16/10 Fri
- Re: An idea to kick around -- Phantom, 17:39:19 04/16/10 Fri
- Re: An idea to kick around -- Boyd Percy, 21:13:54 04/18/10 Sun
- Re: An idea to kick around -- dmitri, 14:44:34 04/19/10 Mon
- Re: An idea to kick around -- carlton, 09:15:28 04/20/10 Tue