VoyForums

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678[9]10 ]

Spearfish Lake Tales
Spearfish Lake Tales Message Board
Welcome! This board is intended for discussion of Wes Boyd's writings as posted on Spearfish Lake Tales;
or other message boards. Discussion of other authors that frequent these boards or sites is not off topic.

Please keep it clean and somewhere close to being on topic.
Spearfish Lake Tales

Subject: Guarding the bird feeders

Author:
Wes
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 09:18:11 06/14/12 Thu

I trade off with my daughter each week writing a column for our paper. Usually my columns are primarily addressing local issues, but I thought this one might be of interest to forum readers.

-- Wes

- - - - - - - -

I suppose it's a sign of advancing age, but I just don't bounce back from a short night like I did when I was but a young lad.

Take the other day. It was last Wednesday morning, as a matter of fact. Now, I tend to be a little bit of a night owl anyway, but I'd stayed up late to watch the end of the transit of Venus on the NASA channel, so that had me up a little longer than normal. That by itself is no excuse, but when I did get to bed I didn't get to sleep very quickly, for no good reason. I know I saw 2:30 AM go sliding by on the digital clock a few inches from my nose, and that cuts things a little tight right there.

However, along about 6:30 AM I was awakened by my wife, who has an earlier schedule than I do. She was upset: "I've had a tough time with the raccoon in the bird feeders again," she complained. "I've had to chase him out of there half a dozen times. I wish you'd take a gun and shoot it."

Now, I'm not a gun nut. I'm not opposed to them in any way, it's just that they don't interest me that much. "Yeah, right," I yawned. "I haven't shot a gun since 1973, you know that."

"Yes," she replied. "But he's really being a pest. Sit out on the porch, shoot him when he shows up and throw the body out in the weeds." We can do that, since we live out in the country, but I really hated to break a string that long, if you know what I mean.

I can tell you how long it's been since I shot a gun, since I remember it clearly. I was living in a mountain town out in Colorado not long before I returned to Michigan. The guy I was rooming with bought a new .22 Ruger, and we took it out to the town garbage dump to sight it in on some empty tin cans.

Now, reprocess that last sentence: how long has it been since you've seen a town garbage dump anywhere? I don't mean a sanitary landfill, I mean a dump. Twenty years, at least. Maybe more.

But I digress. As the result of not having much sleep and being rudely awakened, I decided that keeping my wife happy was the better part of valor. So, I pulled on some clothes and shoes and went to where we keep the guns. All of them are left over from my father, and some of them are antiques I wouldn't dare shoot if I wanted to. I suppose I ought to think about selling them some day, and I probably will eventually, but for now they represent memories of my father, my grandfather, and my youth.

Reasoning that the noise of firing a shotgun would upset all the human and feline critters in the house, I decided I'd better use one of the .22 revolvers my father bought back in the forties. A few minutes of pawing around turned up a box of ammo that had been sitting on a shelf for at least twenty years, most likely more.

I had to stop and refresh myself on even how to get the cylinder out of the revolver; I hadn't had it in my hands in who knows when, except to move it from one place to another when we moved years ago. While I was going through all this hassle, my wife left for work.

So, finally, I took the revolver, a bottle of orange juice, and a book out onto the porch to stand guard over the bird feeders.

Of course, no raccoon. I figure the noise of the garage door opening must have made him go somewhere else for a while. Discretion proved to be the better part of valor for him, not that I stood much chance of hitting him at thirty feet with a .22 revolver after being out of practice for coming up on 40 years.

Now if the stupid raccoon will just stay away from the bird feeders for a while, at least when my wife is around, I may be able to keep my string intact. And get some sleep.
Replies:
Subject: Hannegan's Cove - Chapter 2

Author:
Hal
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 17:11:19 06/14/12 Thu

You covered a remarkable mount of story line with a little snow removal - great job! I enjoyed the chapter.
Replies:
Subject: Runners Moon

Author:
Skip
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 08:02:26 06/14/12 Thu

When you wrotr "Runner's Moon" did you think Wasilla would ve as famous (or infamous) as it became after the last election?
Replies:
Subject: Hannegan's Cove epub now available on Lulu

Author:
Wes
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 19:27:26 06/13/12 Wed

The epub for Hannegan's Cove is now available on Lulu. I finally got the problem resolved.

-- Wes
Subject: Track Plowing

Author:
clank
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12:24:34 06/11/12 Mon

For everyone who read Snowplow Extra and wondered how you can plow a track in deep snow... this video from New Zealand should give you an idea: Spectacular footage Train plowing through deep snow Arthurs Pass
Replies:
Subject: Wes - Have you considered...

Author:
Jerry
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 17:15:16 06/13/12 Wed

Have you considered publishing all those Spearfish Lake books on Lulu now, rather than waiting until you serialize them on SpearfishLakeTales?
Replies:
Subject: Hannegan's Cove posting starts

Author:
Wes
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 21:26:59 06/10/12 Sun

The first post of Hannegan's Cove has just gone up. Hope you enjoy it!

Lulu sales for hardcopies and PDFs have been activated. No epubs yet -- there's a Lulu issue that needs to get dealt with as soon as I can figure out how. Epubs are available from the Spearfish Lake Tales Store, and I'll be online until about midnight EDT (GMT-5?) to fill any orders.

Pre-orders were sent earlier today. If you ordered one and did not receive it, let me know right away.

There always seem to be HTML bugs when I put up a new book. If you spot any, let me know.
Replies:
Subject: Story coding in Wiki

Author:
Skip
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 07:05:02 06/11/12 Mon

In the Wiki BE VI and VII are doced as under development, while BE VIII is coded as in the Queue ready for posting, How can this be?
Replies:
Subject: Studebaker

Author:
Bugg
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 00:11:06 05/16/12 Wed

Wes:

The Loewy-designed Starlight/Starliner coupes came out in '53, not '52. The Starliners were the pillared coupes, the Starlight was the hardtop. I have one of each, but mine are both '54s. :)

Bugg
Replies:
Subject: OK, it's not aftershave, but candles

Author:
Andy Haworth
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 05:54:12 06/07/12 Thu

Randy suggested that he would like aftershave to smell of new cars etc. well not happened yet AFAIK, but apparently you caan get candles with that aroma.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/fashion/fashion-blog/2012/jun/07/candles-for-men
Subject: Your profit?

Author:
Hal
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 22:37:16 06/04/12 Mon

Wes, do you make more money on sales through your store than sales through Amazon? I figure I should get you the most bang for my buck!
Replies:
Subject: Pre-orders now available for Hannegan's Cove

Author:
Wes
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 20:02:18 06/03/12 Sun

Preorders are now available for the next book,

Hannegan's Cove

As he approaches thirty, Randy faces new challenges and responsibilities. He's matured since college and has come to accept that many of his desires aren't possible. His first child is on the way, his grandfather's health is fading fast, and his sister is having family problems. It's clear that he will soon own Clark Construction as well as run it. Will the few years of preparation for these and new challenges be enough? How well will he meet any new problems when they arise?

Posting Starts June 11, 2012! Preorders to be shipped June 10, 2012.

Order for as little as $19.99 from The Spearfish Lake Tales Store

Hannegan's Cove marks something of a departure for the Tales Of Spearfish Lake -- and a coming home. Many books in the Tales of Spearfish Lake series are dated from the late 1990s, and they cluster up and start to get intertwined with the Dawnwalker Cycle in about 2001. This one breaks away from all that and is set in 2004, largely with some familiar characters, mostly Randy and his family, along with some visits by some of his pals from the Dawnwalker books. It's something of a follow-on to Pulling Even, but I've decided, if somewhat arbitrarily, that future books involving Randy and his friends in Spearfish Lake are going to be Spearfish Lake Tales books, while those mostly involving the Arizona gang will be Dawnwalkers.

We'll be checking in on some of our old friends from time to time in Tales From Spearfish Lake after Hannegan's Cove, but we'll be meeting many new characters, too. Each of them has their own stories to tell. Just to give you a little teaser, Mark, Jackie, and Rocinante are involved in some of them.

In case you're wondering, there's one Dawnwalker left in the queue, with posting planned to begin late this year. There's the fuzzy possibility of at least another one out there, but it just hasn't come together yet.

My general plan for the next few years is to alternate Spearfish Lake Tales stories with non-Spearfish Lake ones. I'm still working on expanding the stock of the latter, but I'm well fixed on the former -- there are currently ten completed books in that series awaiting their turns, and I'm within a couple of chapters of making that eleven. Later in what I sometimes refer to as the "New Spearfish Lake" series there will be a subseries somewhat like what the Dawnwalkers are to the Spearfish Lake books, although the action mostly stays in Spearfish Lake. These books will bring us up into the early 2010s, with an epilogue in one of them that takes place in 2018. I'm sure there will be more to come along the way.

Just for the record, there's one more Bradford Exiles book in the queue, as well, but for plot and spoiler reasons I won't be posting it for a while. Two more, at least, are in the works but still not completed. There are others, including the rest of the Bullring series, plus some independents, so there's still going to be plenty of good reading to come for the next few years.

Thanks very much to everyone who's stuck with me over the years, and pass the word to your friends!
Subject: Wiki progress

Author:
Wes
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 10:43:02 05/09/12 Wed

For the reborn Wiki having only been up a few days in a beta mode, a great deal of progress has been made, mostly by Sam and DangFool. It looks to me like there's been tons of stuff stored up to do while it was impossible to update the old one, especially when you look at the "Recent Changes" page. Great job, you two!

There's still a lot to do, so if someone else wants to chime in and help out, it will be appreciated.

Check it out at spearfishlaketaleswiki.wikkii.net!

-- Wes
Replies:
Subject: The End, or -- 30 --

Author:
sam
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 22:54:58 05/17/12 Thu

Wes, why do your books end in -- 30 --?
Replies:
Subject: Recycle

Author:
Boyd Percy
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 01:41:02 05/23/12 Wed

I get a kick out of how Wes likes to recycle names and pet phrases. In chapter 29 of "Hat Trick", Dayna calls home from Chadron, Nebraska and tells her mother that the town is like hell with the fires out. The name seemed familiar until I remembered that was where Mel Austin went to college his first year. Randy Clark used the phrase to describe Spearfish Lake on a gloomy fall/winter day before the snow fell. In the earliest version of "Rocinante", Mark and Jackie live a houseboat on the Shakahatchie River near Twillingate. Later, we find out that Debbie Elkstalker is a member of the Shakahatchie tribe. It's interesting to see how everything in the greater SFL universe.
Replies:
Subject: Bull Ring Days locales

Author:
Paul
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 18:48:47 05/21/12 Mon

I came across something that gave me a chuckle today. I am going to be in Ann Arbor in June and was looking for the closest Costco. (I'm Canadian, the selection is much larger south of the border and they have booze too!) The closest store currently is in Livonia. I wonder if the car dealership is still there? LOL
Do you keep any hardcopies for sale at the office Wes? The one problem about ebooks is that there is no hardcopy for the author to sign. I have to find something to do while the wives are at the outlet center.
Replies:
Subject: What's your thinking?

Author:
Wes
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 21:38:21 01/17/12 Tue

Right now I have four stories I'm working on -- or not working on, as the case may be. They range from maybe twenty percent complete to ninety percent, but they are going sluggishly, since for one reason and another I often don't feel like working on them. Mostly they're stories I've struggled with for a long time. They'll get done eventually, but maybe not soon.

I need something new.

So, I thought I'd throw it open to the gang here, especially since things have been slow around here recently. Maybe this discussion can perk things up a bit. The question is: dan anyone think of a minor character in some past story that seems interesting enough to have a story written around them?

I'd really prefer if it was a character from one of the newer stories, at least one of the stories that's set on the more recent side, say, post-2000. No lead characters -- Randy, Jennlynn, or the like.

I'm not making any promises but maybe something someone suggests can divert my thoughts into a new channel. At least it will be interesting to see what responses I get.

-- Wes
Replies:
Subject: Bull Ring Days

Author:
GB34
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 20:25:08 05/10/12 Thu

In case any one is interested there is still dirt track racing activity.
Here is just one site listing tracks in Missouri. I'm sure there are a lot of others around the country as well.

http://www.racereview.com/missouri.htm
Replies:
Subject: Speaking of servers (wiki)

Author:
Sam
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 00:16:28 04/29/12 Sun

Talking of servers, the wiki (spearfishlaketaleswiki.com) has been ailing for quite some time. I am considering moving its content to another server--there is a reasonably good free wiki host, Wikkii--but I wanted to
a) gauge interest in people willing to edit or at least read the wiki
b) make sure I am not stepping on anybody's toes

Input on this is welcome.
Replies:
Subject: Finally???

Author:
Wes
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 09:40:12 04/29/12 Sun

I think -- hopefully -- everything is fixed. If you can't get http://spearfishlaketales.com please let me know.

-- Wes
Replies:
Subject: 404 error

Author:
Bob
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 18:32:30 03/18/12 Sun

Wes:

Just a minor inconvenience but, when you are at: http://www.spearfishlaketales.com/shorts/bullring/expedition.htm and click on "Main Page" in the upper left the link takes you to http://www.spearfishlaketales.com/shorts/bullring/index.htm. That however is a 404.

BTW, really enjoying the new story. It's nice to get a completely "off track" (sorry for the pun) story.

Bob
Replies:
Subject: Server stuff

Author:
Wes
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 08:32:59 04/28/12 Sat

I'm pretty well through the server change process, but I'm still getting e-mails indicating that people can't get to spearfishlaketales.com.

For the time being, go to http://spearfishlaketales.net. According to the hosting company, this backup URL has propagated worldwide. For reasons I won't go into here, spearfishlaketales.com is slower. It should clear up in a few hours.

Sorry to cause anyone any trouble on this, but I had to move to a different host since I was looking at an imminent total breakdown of the old one and had to get out while the getting was good.

-- Wes
Replies:
Subject: Changing servers

Author:
Wes
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12:46:47 04/27/12 Fri

After the recent server problems I'm in the process of changing servers. It may take a while to get all the bugs out, but for the time being go to http://spearfishlaketales.net

Hopefully this will get taken care of quickly. Once the process is done the old address should work all right.

-- Wes
Subject: More server problems

Author:
Wes
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 11:28:50 04/23/12 Mon

The backup server has gotten flaky and only works about half the time. I'm trying to get the files transferred to a new host, but it may take me a while to get the domain name transferred.

I will keep uploading to the backup server until the transfer is made. Until it does, keep trying.

Again, sorry to have all these problems.

-- Wes
Replies:
Subject: Good for you, Wes

Author:
Boyd Percy
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 21:08:06 04/22/12 Sun

Slipped in Spearfish Lake on us in Chapter 19.
Replies:
Subject: Server update

Author:
Wes
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 20:02:10 04/19/12 Thu

Apparently the primary server is still down. I just make the Thursday update to the backup server, and checked it to make sure it went through. I'm not sure if the updates will be transferred from the backup to the primary when the primary comes back online, but I will keep checking and re-upload if necessary.

Sorry if this causes anyone any problems.

-- Wes
Subject: Are you OK Wes or did I not get the memo?

Author:
Bob
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 07:05:24 04/18/12 Wed

Just checking in since the updates are like clockwork. I checked in to get the latest chapter of Bullring and saw no update.

Hope all is well.
Replies:
Subject: More on server problems

Author:
Wes
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 14:25:32 04/18/12 Wed

I've been unable to get hold of the guy at the hosting service but it appears that the main server has crashed. I managed to update last night's update to the backup server, and it appeared normal when I checked a few minutes ago. It's the same URL as always.

I'd actually uploaded and checked the file last night, so that's what makes me think the primary server died. I will probably know for sure sooner or later.

I'm not sure how long it's going to take to get this problem fixed, but I will keep after this and upload to the backup server if needed until the primary one becomes available for FTP again.

If future problems arise, check here in the forum for status reports.

-- Wes
Replies:
Subject: Server problems

Author:
Wes
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 10:00:32 04/18/12 Wed

I seem to be having server problems. Don't know what it is. I made the update last night but for some reason it didn't take. I am trying to contact the guy in charge of the server. I will get the update made as soon as things are fixed.

Sorry about the lack of update. I tried.

-- Wes
Subject: No Wednesday post

Author:
Howard Whitney
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 09:03:11 04/18/12 Wed

I hope nothing is wrong other than the Cubs are playing. I have come to depend on my Monday, Wednesday, and Friday fix of great reading.
Subject: Census and other Fun

Author:
Boyd Percy
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 00:46:37 04/03/12 Tue

I read that the US Census website crashed today after they released the 1940 Census archive and had 37 million hits the first day. They are supposed to add some servers to solve the problem. I didn't realize that the government had to wait 72 years before they released the data. It's sort of an once in a lifetime occurrence.

I also read that one of the "winners" in Maryland of the big Mega Millions Lottery decided she wasn't going to share her winnings with the rest of the group who pooled their money to buy tickets. She decided the winning ticket was one that she had bought on her own individually.

I also saw an article about stylish shoes for women with big feet. Naturally, I thought about Shae Kirkendahl. I don't remember her size. Most of the manufacturers listed had sizes up to size 12. However, one company, Zappos, had up to size 20. There were no Manolo Blatnicks, which Jennlynn Swift liked, so hopefully she didn't have too big a foot.

Finally, I recently read that the Navahos wanted to build a theme park at Marble Canyon adjacent to the Grand Canyon National Park. I hope it doesn't mess up the scenic beauty.
Replies:
Subject: Revised Facting The Storm now available

Author:
Wes
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 22:13:57 03/03/12 Sat

The revised version of Facing the Storm is now available as an AZW/MOBI on Amazon, as an EPUB from Barnes and Noble, and in several formats from Lulu.com. Ordering information is available at the Spearfish Lake Tales Store.

The revised version of Facing the Storm has also been uploaded to the website and is available through the Spearfish Lake Tales Store in Epub, Mobi, PDF and RTF formats.

As with the other revisions, there are no major changes to the story but a lot of little punctuation errors, spelling errors, fluffs and the like have been cleaned up.

Magic Carpet, Absent Friend, Andromeda Chained, Dawnwalker, Facing the Storm, Blue Beauty and Rocinante are now available in the E-pub format at Barnes and Noble. Contact information is on the appropriate page at the Spearfish Lake Tales Store.

Revisions to Canyon Fires and are planned to be made available in the next few weeks, and Snowplow Extra is the next on the list.

-- Wes
Replies:
Subject: Dawnwalker

Author:
Skip
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 16:21:50 04/10/12 Tue

When will the rest of the Dawnwalker tales go to Amazon so I can add them to my Kindle?

Also what will be next after Bull Ring one ane about when will we see it?
Replies:
Subject: The Last Open Road

Author:
Wes
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 14:40:04 04/02/12 Mon

In the Bullring Days One thread, Greg B. made a comment about how much he liked a book by the name of The Last Open Road by Bert Levy. That got me curious, and I wound up ordering the book. I have to say it's a fun read!

It gets into a lot of background of early fifties sports car racing, and that was an interesting era. It's also funny -- it puts me in mind of Janet Evanovich.

Amazon has a long free sample of it on the page -- you might like to check it out.

Thanks to Greg for putting me onto this one. I'd been looking to read something new and this really was worth the effort.

-- Wes
Replies:
Subject: Shades of Jennlynn

Author:
Boyd Percy
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 01:46:16 04/03/12 Tue

I just read that an 80 year old lady in Sturgeon Bay, Wisconsin landed a small plane when her 81 year old husband became ill and later died. She was the only passenger. A nearby pilot flew along side of her and helped to coach her into landing the plane safely. It's amazing what we can do in times of emergencies.
Subject: Bullring Days One: On the Road uploaded

Author:
Wes
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 19:18:17 03/11/12 Sun

Pre-orders for Bullring Days One: On the Road have been sent out, and Lulu purchases have been enabled.

I might as well tell you right now that there will be a second book in the series along in a few months. While Mel continues to tell his story, it's a considerably different one.

Like most of my books, this one has a story behind the story. Some years ago I was going through a very blocked writing phase, and I couldn't manage to write anything. In an effort to try to break myself of it, I decided to try something new: a young adult book. Since it will be posted eventually I don't want leave many spoilers, but suffice to say that a young teenager gets to listening to stories of a very old Mel's youth. The section got out of hand, and I finally realized that I was getting pretty interested in Mel's story. It took me two books to tell the parts of Mel's story, and another one involving his son before I got the story around to the place I'd started. All four are planned for posting eventually.

I had an interesting session getting the cover photo for this book; you can read about it on the "Shorts" page, or there are links to it elsewhere. It includes a number of action photos of vintage race cars.

In other news, Canyon Fires ought to be along on Amazon and Barnes and Noble in the next couple weeks, maybe sooner. After that the rate of posting the older books may slow a little; the next will probably be Snowplow Extra.

The Wiki Page still has some uploading problems, and I'm hopeful they will be fixed soon. I have several updates to make to the "Bibliography" page when it happens. I don't control the wiki page; it's totally a fan effort, although I monitor it and occasionally fix an error.

As always, there are probably some boo-boos in the site -- there always seem to be when I put up a new book, no matter how much I check. I've already fixed a few. Let me know and I'll fix any others ASAP.

-- Wes
Replies:
Subject: Bullring Days Pt One - more photos

Author:
Greg B.
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 01:34:19 03/26/12 Mon

I found some photos of rail frame V8-60 Midgets of the right vintage. These show more details of the engines, carburetors, etc. than Wes' photos:

http://oval.race-cars.com/carsold/other/cpv852/cpv852pp.htm

http://oval.race-cars.com/carsold/other/1055960496/1055960496la.htm
Subject: Bullring Days - chapter 6

Author:
K Pelle
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 01:06:36 03/23/12 Fri

I never drove midgets in a bullring, but I drove stock cars on dirt and I love the descriptions in this chapter. I can almost smell the dust and the odours of exhaust gasses mixed with hot oil fumes. I can almost feel the sensations of a power slide as I recall holding the car on the outside of a corner, then the surge of adrenaline as I roared past a slower car when I hit the straight.
It's all memory, but dang it Wes, your words bring those memories back. Way to go and thanks!

KP
Replies:
Subject: Revised Canyon Fires now available

Author:
Wes
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 19:01:36 03/21/12 Wed

The revised version of Canyon Fires is now available as an AZW/MOBI on Amazon.com, and in several formats from Lulu.com. Ordering information is available at the Spearfish Lake Tales Store (http://www.spearfishlaketales.com/store.htm.) It's been uploaded but not yet activated as an EPUB from Barnes and Noble; it should be available in a few days.

The revised version of "Canyon Fires" has also been uploaded to the website and is available through the Spearfish Lake Tales Store in Epub, Mobi, PDF and RTF formats.

As with the other revisions, there are no major changes to the story but a lot of little punctuation errors, spelling errors, fluffs and the like have been cleaned up.

Magic Carpet, Absent Friend, Andromeda Chained, Canyon Fires, Dawnwalker, Facing the Storm, Blue Beauty and Rocinante are available in the E-pub format at Barnes and Noble, and Canyon Fires will join them in the next few days. Contact information is on the appropriate page at the Spearfish Lake Tales Store.

Snowplow Extra is the next on the re-edit list; Hat Trick and Girl in the Mirror are in the works.

-- Wes
Replies:
Subject: Spam

Author:
Wes
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 14:41:03 03/20/12 Tue

We've been having a little spammer trouble so I've turned off html support for a few days. Hope this deals with it. Sorry if it causes any inconveniences.

-- Wes
Subject: Shades of Rociante

Author:
Skip
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 10:22:39 03/20/12 Tue

Article on AOL about HST pic of Messier 9. When Messier cataloged it it was only a smudge. Now HST shows over 250,000 stars in Pic. Think Mark would be interested.

It can probably be found on NASA website or on WWW.stsci.edu (HST Websire).

Skip
Subject: Okinawa

Author:
Bob
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 07:19:53 03/20/12 Tue

I was in Okinawa for a conference back in the fall. Quite a different place some 68 years later.

My father-in-law was on one of the small flattops that took the troops home. My father one-upped him. He brought the first wave in as Coxswain of an LCVP off the USS Arriga. Then continued for a while to bring men and supplies in.

There was a typhoon off the coast, so I couldn't go to the beachhead only 11Km away (now a public beach) for a 'now' picture for my dad.

I wonder if they were still racing there when my father-in-law was at the island :)

For the conference social, we were entertained by a troop of Okinawian traditional drummer/dancers. Fantastic!
Subject: Something wrong with the Wiki?

Author:
Dang Fool
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 17:59:15 02/24/12 Fri

The wiki tried to get me to download something, which I declined.

I don't know what's happened, but it doesn't look right.
Replies:
Subject: Shades of Busted Axle Road

Author:
wexwiz543
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 00:20:59 03/16/12 Fri

It happened in New York, but has story line like Busted Axle Road.

http://video.foxnews.com/v/1510853147001/slithering-surprise-in-nyc-toilet?intcmp=features
Replies:
Subject: Tornado

Author:
Boyd Percy
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 23:53:20 03/15/12 Thu

I read that a tornado destroyed 100 homes in SE Michigan around Dexter. That's about 50 miles north of Hudson where Wes' newspaper is located. I hope he and his family is okay.
Replies:
Subject: Your SOL published intention to publish in ASSTR,ASSM

Author:
Clarke Hermance
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 23:20:31 03/14/12 Wed

Hi!

You write wonderful, very human yarns that are most enjoyable.
I've read several on SOL, so your announcement that you intend to publish somewhere on ASSTR or ASSM is a bit of a downer as their publishing format is nowhere near and flexible as SOL's for on-line reading.

However, I just recently searched in A... and came up with nothing (unless it's via the pseudonym Earnest Bywater (or some such spelling).

So have you started to do so, and if so, precisely where?

Cheers,
Clarke
Replies:
Main index ] [ Archives: 12345678[9]10 ]
[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2016 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.