VoyForums
GIVE FREE FOOD
www.TheHungerSite.com
-> Click Here <-
Fund Free Mammograms with a Click
www.TheBreastCancerSite.com
-> Click Here <-
Non-profit ad served by VoyForums...

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 123456789[10] ]

Spearfish Lake Tales
Spearfish Lake Tales Message Board
Welcome! This board is intended for discussion of Wes Boyd's writings as posted on Spearfish Lake Tales;
or other message boards. Discussion of other authors that frequent these boards or sites is not off topic.

Please keep it clean and somewhere close to being on topic.
Spearfish Lake Tales

Subject: Book Shorthand

Author:
Dang Fool
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 15:13:07 03/14/12 Wed

I've noticed from directory naming that "Bullring Days One: On The Road" uses "BR1", not something like "OTR". This implies to me that we'll be talking about "BR2".

Granted I've no trouble knowing the difference between "Harry Potter 3" and "HP4", but Wes hasn't been doing it that way in the past. I can tell you a lot about "River Rat", but couldn't tell you it was DW5.

Is this really the direction for the Bullring series? It implies to me something more like one huge novel with breakpoints compared to a series of related books.
Replies:
Subject: The Next Generation

Author:
AlElliot
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12:51:13 03/12/12 Mon

Hi Wes,
I've noticed (unless I missed it) that you haven't updated or mentioned pending updating of The Next Generation. Of all your heroines, I think I love that courageous little girl the most. Of course, right behind her comes Jennlyn and a host of others. You write some marvelously real people.
Replies:
Subject: 2012 Iditarod finished

Author:
Dmitri
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 09:05:21 03/14/12 Wed

Youngest Iditarod winner at age 25 wins this year's dogsled race. From Yahoo News:

"Dallas Seavey, 25 years old, competing against both his father and grandfather, won the 40th annual Iditarod Trail Sled Dog Race . . . with a winning time of nine days, four hours, 29 minutes and 26 seconds.

"Aliy Zirkle, who was vying to become the first woman to win the Iditarod since 1990, finished in second place, reaching Nome exactly one hour after Seavey."

http://news.yahoo.com/youngest-iditarod-race-champion-crowned-nome-064006392.html

Dmitri
Subject: SOL voting enabled on "Picking Up the Pieces"

Author:
Wes
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 01:16:24 03/14/12 Wed

For you SOL readers, voting has been enabled on "Picking Up the Pieces."

-- Wes
Subject: Bravo

Author:
Boyd Percy
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 21:52:51 03/08/12 Thu

Congratulations on another great story. I'm looking forward to the Bullring stories. The last time you posted a story not about Spearfish Lake/Dawnwalker/Bradford was "Cattail" which was a winner. I hope your new story is just as good. At least, your précis about the story leads me to believe so.
Replies:
Subject: Randy & The Alien

Author:
Jonathan
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 14:38:58 03/03/12 Sat

Awhile back, you mentioned a book with a working title of "Randy & The Alien". Based on chapter 33, I assume that ended up being "Pulling Even"?
Replies:
Subject: Preorders now being taken for "Bullring Days One: On the Road"

Author:
Wes
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 21:51:16 03/04/12 Sun

Pre-orders are now being taken for the next Spearfish Lake Tales story,

Bullring Days One: On the Road

by Wes Boyd ©2009, ©2012

Mel Austin didn't want to be just a farmhand for his brother, so after the Army and World War II, he attended college on the GI Bill. But after graduating, he couldn't stand the thought of teaching in a big-city slum high school, either. A wartime friend asks him to join his ragtag midget auto racing show, Mel figures it's a better than pumping gas until school starts. In love with the thrills, action, and a chance to see the country, he spends several years vagabonding with the show through the turbulent and now half-forgotten world of the early 1950s. Adventure and new friends abound, and his life winds up going to places he could never have dreamed.

Posting Starts 3/12/12! Preorders shipped 3/11. Order for as little as $21.99.
See the Spearfish Lake Tales Store for details

More re-edited books have been put on the web page, Amazon.com and Barnes and Noble

A number of books have gone through the re-editing process, and work continues. The most recent is Facing the Storm, which went up a couple days ago. Canyon Fires should be along in a few days.

Now available on Amazon.com: Rocinante, Absent Friend, Dawnwalker, Andromeda Chained, Alone Together, Facing the Storm, Blue Beauty, and Magic Carpet. As part of a special Amazon promotion, earlier versions of Hat Trick and Girl in the Mirror are also on Amazon, along with the short pieces The Lone Ranger and Peeking over the Fence.

Now available on Barnes & Noble: Rocinante, Absent Friend, Dawnwalker, Andromeda Chained, Alone Together, Facing the Storm, Blue Beauty, and Magic Carpet.

The re-edited versions of Rocinante, Absent Friend, Dawnwalker, Andromeda Chained, Alone Together, Facing the Storm, Blue Beauty, and Magic Carpet are on the web page and are also available in .rtf, .mobi and .epub versions from the Spearfish Lake Tales Store.

-- Wes
Replies:
Subject: AGAIN???

Author:
Emmett
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 22:34:33 03/06/12 Tue

I have always thought you ended Hat Trick a little abruptly. It seems to me you could have posted more than you did on that story. When you edit it how about another chapter or two(or twelve) to bring the adventures of Dayne and Sandy up to the class reunion or a little beyond.
Now you are doing it to us againwith Duane and Michelle. How many years do we have to wait until we find out if they stay together? Until their kids are in High School?
Emmett
Subject: Working title

Author:
Rob
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12:53:17 03/02/12 Fri

Wes (and other authors),

When you start writing a story, do you give it a working title?

Depending on the story, and where the first scenes written came I can see some possible working titles that have nothing to do with the actual title or even with most of the story.

Rob
Replies:
Subject: Revised Blue Beauty now available

Author:
Wes
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 21:38:46 01/12/12 Thu

The revised version of Blue Beauty is now available as an AZW/MOBI on Amazon, and in several formats from Lulu.com. Ordering information is available at the Spearfish Lake Tales Store.

The revised version of Blue Beauty has also been uploaded to the website and is available through the Spearfish Lake Tales Store in Epub, Mobi, PDF and RTF formats.

As with the other revisions, there are no major changes to the story but a lot of little punctuation errors, spelling errors, fluffs and the like have been cleaned up.

Magic Carpet, Absent Friend, Andromeda Chained, Dawnwalker and Rocinante are now available in the E-pub format at Barnes and Noble. Blue Beauty is expected to be confirmed in a few days. Contact information is on the appropriate page at the Spearfish Lake Tales Store.

Revisions to Alone Together and Facing the Storm are planned to be made available in the next few weeks.

-- Wes
Replies:
Subject: PayPal censorship and theft threats

Author:
Deadly Ernest
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 22:03:51 02/28/12 Tue

G'day Wes,

I don't know if you've been keeping an eye on the computer industry news but an important matter that could affect you is the actions by PayPal to decide to tell users what sort of business they can perform and to steal their money if PayPal object to the business. If you've not seen the on-line news reports, I suggest you run a Google search and read them.

This is a subject of concern on some forums I visit and one person at one mentioned an alternative called Dwolla (https://www.dwolla.com/) and just posted this exchange of emails to the forum:

I sent the following email to dwolla.com

Do you care who uses your service as long as it's otherwise legal and you get your quarter? The reason I ask is the recent controversy created when Paypal threatened to drop independent publishers and distributors because they offered certain erotic content for sale. I sure would like to find a payment processor that didn't act as my morals police.

I got the following response a couple of hours later

Thank you for your email. Per our terms and services, as long as the product being sold via Dwolla is not deemed illegal then you are able to utilize the Dwolla system. If at any times we realize that our service is being used illegally then the proper measures will be taken.

Thank you,
Dwolla Support

So it looks like there is an alternative to Paypal.

end quote

Considering PayPal insisting on censoring your business and telling you what you can and cannot handle (although what you handle now is within their new guidelines) I wonder what they'll decide is not acceptable next. I also don't like their threats to steal your money based on a decision they make on their perceptions of the business.

In light of the above, you may wish to consider switching to using Dwolla, or another similar organisation except PayPal, to process your payments to me. I see PayPal's actions as criminal and like a protection racket.

Best regards,

Ernest Bywater
Replies:
Subject: The Author

Author:
Demitheus
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 15:06:13 02/09/12 Thu

The very first story I read of yours was"Rocinante",
needless to say I was instantly hooked on your stories.
I was a "Payingcustomer of SOL until a vary bad Car accedent 02-05-09, it messed up 4 disc's in my back, kidney,fractured several bones in my right foot from holding down the break pedal, and ruptured 3 disc's in my lower back, I worked for another 6 months theni couldn't work any more, my so called laywer was crooked I found out later and dragged out the case til the legal limit expired a few days ago, he then notifed me that he would not represent me any more.
If I could I would purchase all your books but as I am unable to work and an old friend has taken me under his wing and given me a room to stay at his house I would be homless and on the sreets.
I wsh you all the best and now find myself having to leech your stories, I wish it wasn't so but you write so well I can't help myself, I need the escape your stories provide me , just know that your stories provide many with exceptional enjoyment and god willing many years of good health andlife to you and yours so that you may entertain your adoring fans with your wonderful tales, my most humble thanks to a great writer...Demitheus
Replies:
Subject: Ephesians 5

Author:
K Pelle
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 22:55:17 01/19/12 Thu

Actually I know of one case in which the groom did much the same to his new wife as Noah did to Crystal - announcing that she was to be subservient to him at all times that they were in public. Unfortunately he had never told her of his belief in that verse of the Bible previously, nor had she told him that she believed in full equality in a marriage. They never even made it to the marriage bed.
Replies:
Subject: Interesting news story - what happens to older outdoor bums?

Author:
Dana Crom
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 16:14:19 02/24/12 Fri

I saw this news story today that reminded me of the "only difference between the homeless and outdoor bums" joke that Crystal, Scooter, and the rest throw out.

Here's a man who spent the last 12 years hiking across the US repeatedly, starting at age 53. The stimulus was learning of his son's suicide while partway up the Appalachian Trail - he just kept going. And - like Scooter - he's giving up the regular hiking mostly due to his legs giving out.

http://www.mercurynews.com/bay-area-news/ci_20031264
Subject: Chapter 28

Author:
bytemangler
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 21:04:53 02/20/12 Mon

Looks like Randy hired a good one. One of the best chapters; loved the showdown at the '3 cherries'.

Now - the big question is - who if anyone does Carlos get involved with when he moves to Spearfish Lake?
Replies:
Subject: Amazon . com

Author:
Emmett
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 16:36:39 02/16/12 Thu

Wes
Are you going to post Peeking over the Fence on here? Amazon does not like money orders for $.99 and I don.t have a credit card any more.
Emmett
Replies:
Subject: Knocker Contest

Author:
Boyd Percy
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 16:19:35 02/16/12 Thu

There is a new contest on SOL. One of the regular posters on the SLT Forum, Deadly Ernest, has an entry under his name, Ernest Bywater. I think we should all support him and read his story and vote for it. It is hilarious.
Replies:
Subject: Rant about Randy

Author:
Byrial Jensen
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 06:20:43 02/13/12 Mon

I am reading through the Dawnwalker Cycle, and just finished chapter 45 of River Rat. I must say that although Randy started as a nice person, he becomes less and less sympathetic as the stories go on. He whines about Nicole having a good time at the girl scout camp and literally chains her when she comes home. If he loves her, he should be glad for her to have a good time instead of resent it. It was Randy himself who chose to go into the construction company, and he should take both the bad and good consequences of it, and be happy for his wife. It is not her fault that he has little time for vacations.
Replies:
Subject: Wes Boyd Books

Author:
Rustyken
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 21:48:18 02/14/12 Tue

I had an interesting experience with Lulu. They had a special last week. Since I buy some of your books in hard copy, I thought I would use it. So I typed in Wes Boyd and most books came up on the search but not all. In particular Pulling Even wasn't listed. In fact, I never found it.

I did buy the two books I was considering but went through this website to order Pulling Even. Didn't even think about the coupon when I check out. Oh well.

The main reason for the note is that Pulling Even did not show on the search.

Enjoy your stories.

Cheers, RustyKen
Replies:
Subject: Chapter22

Author:
K Pelle
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 21:23:44 02/05/12 Sun

Nicely done -- and rather a neat mini-cliffhanger.

kp
Subject: Revised Alone Together now available

Author:
Wes
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 20:09:32 02/03/12 Fri

The revised version of Alone Together is now available as an AZW/MOBI on Amazon, and in several formats from Lulu.com. Ordering information is available at the Spearfish Lake Tales Store.

The revised version of Alone Together has also been uploaded to the website and is available through the Spearfish Lake Tales Store in Epub, Mobi, PDF and RTF formats.

As with the other revisions, there are no major changes to the story but a lot of little punctuation errors, spelling errors, fluffs and the like have been cleaned up.

Magic Carpet, Absent Friend, Andromeda Chained, Dawnwalker, Alone Together, Blue Beauty and Rocinante, are now available in the E-pub format at Barnes and Noble. Alone Together is expected to be confirmed in a few days. Contact information is on the appropriate page at the Spearfish Lake Tales Store.

The revisions to Facing the Storm and Canyon Fires are planned to be made available in the next few weeks.

-- Wes
Subject: World Trade Center Image

Author:
Boyd Percy
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 19:36:54 01/27/12 Fri

I came across this image on Yahoo about some iconic photographs. It shows a photographer holding a photo he took.

http://l.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/iNdOrHjJuMuVFUYGcMyw2w--/YXBwaWQ9eW5ld3M7Zmk9aW5zZXQ7aD05NTk7cT04NTt3PTYzMA--/http://l.yimg.com/os/152/2012/01/24/lyle-owerko_204921.jpg
Subject: Pulling Even?

Author:
Mike
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 06:06:54 01/24/12 Tue

I am really enjoying reading about how all my "friends" from Michigan and Colorado are doing. I like the latest connection between Spearfish Lake and Brandford, Duane, and his hooking up with Michele. I really would like to hear about Daunwalker Productions discovering a couple of wandering troubadours in a motor "home". But there are a couple of clouds on my horizon.
One is the premise for this book. Randy was one of my favorite people, but every time he gets this whiny attitude I want to slap him so bad. I am basically skipping over that part of the story to keep from playing the world's tiniest violin.
The other item is that the time line has gone beyond 9/11 but even in "Picking up the Pieces" I didn't hear any of the fear and hatred that the whole country experienced over the unfounded and unexpected attack. There hasn't been any reference at all to the war being fought or about those fighting it. It all seems a bit sterile.
Replies:
Subject: Surfing Lake Michigan

Author:
Skip
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 21:11:10 01/18/12 Wed

Saw an article online (AOL) about someone who was arrested for surfing on Lake Michigan. Couldn't find a way to forward it tho.
Replies:
Subject: Dogsled Article

Author:
Boyd Percy
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 15:11:24 01/09/12 Mon

The January, 2012 edition of National Geographic magazine has an interesting article on the Danish military dogsled patrol in Greenland.
Subject: Revised Magic Carpet now available

Author:
Wes
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 16:14:49 01/05/12 Thu

The revised version of Magic Carpet is now available as an AZW/MOBI on Amazon, and in several formats from Lulu.com. Ordering information is available at the Spearfish Lake Tales Store.

The revised version of Magic Carpet has also been uploaded to the website and is available through the Spearfish Lake Tales Store in Epub, Mobi, PDF and RTF formats.

Magic Carpet along with Absent Friend, Andromeda Chained, Dawnwalker and Rocinante have been submitted to Barnes and Noble, and are expected to be confirmed in a few days. Contact information will be put on the appropriate store page when available.

Revisions to Alone Together, Blue Beauty and Facing the Storm are planned to be made available in the next few weeks.

-- Wes
Subject: Broken Links

Author:
Rustyken
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 22:39:20 12/26/11 Mon

Wes,
Some of the links on the "Shorts and Rant" page are broken. These are in the left panel that takes you to other sections of the site. You get a 404 error.

Cheers, RustyKen
Replies:
Subject: Revised Rocinante now available

Author:
Wes
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 20:07:06 12/22/11 Thu

The extensively revised and re-edited version of Rocinante has been uploaded to the website. In addition, it's now available in mobi/azw from Amazon.com, and e-pub, pdf and hardcopy from Lulu.com. Go to the Spearfish Lake Tales store for details and links.

Next up -- probably in the next month to six weeks: Alone Together, Magic Carpet, Blue Beauty, and Facing the Storm.

While the Spearfish Lake Tales Wiki is still working, software bugs are keeping it from being updated, including the bibliography page I would normally have updated two weeks ago. The Wiki is a volunteer effort, and I only monitor it. I'm told that a major fix is on the way, but probably after the first of the year.

-- Wes
Replies:
Subject: Lake Superior

Author:
George
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 20:50:51 12/28/11 Wed

In Dawnwalker quite a bit of the story revolved around Lake Superior. I happened to find these pictures of Lake Superior waves. Some of these must have been like what Randy and Crystal were enjoying.

http://www.lakesuperiorphoto.com/big_waves_surf/photos_big_waves_surf_lake_superior.html
Replies:
Subject: oooops

Author:
Emmett
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 13:26:57 12/28/11 Wed

Wes
I just re-read Alone together for the umteenth time and noticed a slight goof.

you have the tail number of Jennylynn's Lear as N490SH in two of three places. In all the other stories it is N590SH the month and year she first turned out as a hooker. like the title says oops.
Subject: Crystal & Noah - PE05

Author:
bytemangler
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 22:13:49 12/27/11 Tue

>Preach was a long-time friend, going back in her life even further than Randy, but until last spring, neither of them had really considered being romantic with each other.

??? I for one don't remember Noah in Crystal's life before DW.

First mention is in DW23.
Replies:
Subject: HAPPY HOLIDAYS

Author:
Jim Wickman
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 19:10:16 12/24/11 Sat

May the blessings of the season
rest gently upon you
and bring you peace
Subject: Rocinante

Author:
Traveler
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 03:10:16 12/23/11 Fri

Going back over some of your stories I bookmarked in the past, I notice you deleted Rocinante, one of my favorites. It has been awhile since I read it and intended to re-read it once more. Is this story, along with others you may have deleted, available anywhere?
Replies:
Subject: America's first jet flight, 1942

Author:
Dmitri
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 08:19:13 12/21/11 Wed

For those who might not have seen this:

The first flights of the Bell P59A jet aircraft

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mhF49AJrVg

Snagged from another site (Night Hawk Stories)

Dmitri
Replies:
Subject: Pulling Even begins

Author:
Wes
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 20:15:23 12/18/11 Sun

My Internet has been in and out all day, so I put up the first chapter of Pulling Even a little early.

Pre-orders were shipped a little early for the same reason; hardcopy, PDF and e-pub versions have been enabled on Lulu.com.

If anyone wants to order a download, I plan on being up until about Midnight EST (UT-4) to deal with orders. However, if my connection goes sour again it may be morning before I'll be able to fill them.

Happy reading!

-- Wes
Replies:
Subject: Picking up the Pieces

Author:
Gil
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 22:21:28 12/15/11 Thu

Just finished up finishing Picking up the Pieces. Wes says it is one of his favorites, mine too. Wes thanks for spinning a great yarn. May not have a chance to get into the next one for a while but know when I do it will be waiting for me and I will enjoy it.
Replies:
Subject: More real life

Author:
quattro
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 17:17:34 12/13/11 Tue

http://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2011/12/11/led-child-who-simply-knew/SsH1U9Pn9JKArTiumZdxaL/story.html?s_campaign=sm_fb
Replies:
Subject: SO you this Wes makes this stuff up!

Author:
George Thecar
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 08:24:11 12/13/11 Tue

So you think Wes makes this stuff up?

http://toronto.ctv.ca/servlet/an/local/CTVNews/20111213/snake-in-a-bowl-111213/20111213/
Replies:
Subject: Good News

Author:
Boyd Percy
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 22:27:59 12/15/11 Thu

After all the depressing news we are constantly bombarded with, it is great to read something like this.

http://news.yahoo.com/anonymous-donors-pay-off-kmart-layaway-accounts-221000605.html
Subject: Wiki bug

Author:
Wes
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 10:02:34 12/15/11 Thu

The SLT Wiki has been having intermittent problems, which have become more common. It's very difficult to get on the site and hard to do anything when you're there. I don't have anything to do with administering the wiki -- it's entirely a fan effort -- but the administrators are aware of the problem and think it's a server issue. All I know is that they're working on it.

-- Wes
Subject: About chapter 38 . . .

Author:
K Pella
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 21:24:51 12/06/11 Tue

Now that sounds like real life to me!

I don't know how many times I've gotten a phone call, been yarning with a neighbour or having a quiet coffee with a friend when a casual comment set off a series of events that changed my life forever.

C'est la vie, I suppose.

kp
Replies:
Subject: Preorders now being taken on "Pulling Even" -- and some store news

Author:
Wes
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 21:09:44 12/11/11 Sun

Pre-orders are now being taken for the next Spearfish Lake Tales story,

Pulling Even

Randy's friends get to go places and have adventures, while he has to stay home and work. His heart is set on having some fun and adventure while he's still young, but the job is important to his family and to him. It's eating up his life to the point where it's not even worth trying to plan something fun -- if he does something will probably come up to interfere with it. His wife feels his anger, and so do some of his friends, but there's not much they can do about it . . . or is there?

Posting Starts 12/19/11! Preorders shipped 12/18. Order for as little as $19.99.

See the store page for details

Lots of Changes at the Spearfish Lake Tales Store

There have been a number of changes recently at the Spearfish Lake Tales Store, and there are more to come.

Amazon/Kindle sales: Several Spearfish Lake Tales books, specifically Dawnwalker, are now available in the .mobi/.prc/,azw format at the Kindle Store. Andromeda Chained, and Absent Friend should be available by December 15. These books are at really competitive prices: $4.99 for Dawnwalker and $2.99 for Absent Friend and Andromeda Chained. In addition, the short story, The Lone Ranger: A Dawnwalker Series Prequel will be available there for only 99˘.

In order to present the best possible product, all these older books have been re-edited and hundreds of fluffs, punctuation errors, and downright boo-boos have been fixed. A few scenes here and there have been massaged a little. Most of my earlier books were posted without benefit of editing -- and it shows! That's something my editors and I have been working to fix. Dawnwalker received the treatment last year; Absent Friend and Andromeda Chained were recently finished, and the updated versions have been posted to the website in the last few days.

Over the next few months, most of the rest of the list will be re-edited, re-posted, and put on the Kindle store. Next up, hopefully soon after the first of the year, will be Magic Carpet, Alone Together, and Rocinante. Others will follow, hopefully at the rate of about one to two per month.

Lulu Sales: In addition, I'm not slighting Lulu.com. You can still order Spearfish Lake Tales books in hardcopy, .pdf and .epub formats. If you order them direct you don't have to wait around for me to upload them to you. I will replace the existing files of the older books there are soon as re-edits are complete.

Store Sales: Store sales will continue as before. You can order books directly from the Spearfish Lake Tales Store, in the traditional .rtf format, or an e-book package that contains both the .prc/.mobi format for the Kindle, and the .epub format for most other readers. Some readers still like the .pdf format, so those will also be available from the Spearfish Lake Tales Store, but as a separate order, not bundled in with the .epub and mobi/prc formats as I've done recently. The small (one cent) price differential between the three helps me figure out what you are ordering.

The store page has been massively rearranged. The old page was turning into a real headache to keep straight; with the new ordering options and more coming it could have turned into a major disaster. Now, when you click on a book on the store page, you will go to a separate page that gives you all the ordering options. This includes taking you right to the appropriate Lulu page for Lulu orders -- no more searching around on the Lulu storefront page!

All new pricing: In order to have competitive pricing on Amazon and Lulu, I decided to cut the prices on the books posted there -- but when I did a little price study, I realized that made everything else a bit out of whack. So, I've cut prices on all books in all formats, by as much as 70%!

Price cuts include cuts on the hardcopies from Lulu.com. Because of the cost of printing, I couldn't cut them as much as I could on the e-books, but it's still a substantial savings over the earlier prices.

Other sales outlets: As time goes by, Spearfish Lake Tales books will be made available on other e-book sales sites. I don't really have a timetable prepared for this.

New Covers: If you've scanned down the store page or the main book list page recently, you may have noticed the covers for the books have changed, some a little, some lots. The reasons were many, but it was partly to standardize the appearance of the covers, admittedly with an eye to online sales. I'm still working on the process, and it won't be complete until all the hardcopies have been updated.

There are going to be some more changes coming -- but probably not as big as these. They'll be incremental, rather than a big overhaul.

Five books are planned to start in 2012. I'll be starting a new series -- Bullring Days -- in March. In June we'll finally get back to Spearfish Lake, with a new series of Spearfish Lake stories featuring old friends and new; I have nine done, and three more on the drawing board. I have enough books completed or nearly completed to continue the current posting rate up into 2016, and have more in the works.

I'd like to thank everyone for their support over the last four years. Writing and posting the Spearfish Lake Tales books has been a lot of fun, and I've met a lot of interesting people either in person or online as a result.

-- Wes
Replies:
Subject: Growing Together scoring enabled on SOL

Author:
Wes
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12:37:49 12/10/11 Sat

For you SOL readers, scoring on Growing Together has been enabled.

-- Wes
Subject: Barefoot Running

Author:
Boyd Percy
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 19:25:36 12/09/11 Fri

I just saw the following article and it reminded me of Emily's daughter, Kayla who loves to run barefooted.

http://news.yahoo.com/scientists-kick-off-debate-over-barefoot-running-161802601.html
Subject: Avalon

Author:
bytemangler
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 14:10:51 12/09/11 Fri

Went to pick up a CD with some legal documents for our homeowners association. Small world - it was prepared by:

Avalon Data Services

When I opened it all that was there was a pdf file. I had been hoping for an episode of the show with Giantess Shaella!
Subject: Picking up the Pieces and Gordon Lightfoot

Author:
Bob
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 20:29:16 12/08/11 Thu

With the mention a while back about Gordi, I keep hearing the opening lines: "Picking up the Pieces" for "Carefree Highway". Totally different story, but when all that money showed up, I got a little concerned about Julie's plans.

For Dave, I think about "There is a kind of a restless feeling..."
Subject: What's next?

Author:
Lew
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 11:43:59 12/07/11 Wed

Wes, with only 4 more chapters to go, I was wondering what was up next? My figuring puts Chap 42 of "Picking Up The Pieces" being posted Fri the 16th, so will we see something new on the 19th? Inquiring minds want to know.

Lew
Replies:
Subject: Surprise

Author:
Mike
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 00:12:01 12/05/11 Mon

Well! That has me as surprised as Dave. I know Wes likes to throw us a curve ball from time to time and this one was a humdinger.

Nice :)
Replies:
Subject: newspaper editors

Author:
susan
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 21:25:49 11/27/11 Sun

How many out there can see Wes having a meeting between Dave or maybe Emily with Mike?

Wes as always enjoying the story.
Replies:
Subject: Shae feeling rocky

Author:
Sam
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 23:51:25 11/22/11 Tue

Reading PUTP-32, I see Shae is complaining that she is feeling "rocky". Now, I am immediately thinking:
a) Shae is pregnant, or
b) Shae has something seriously wrong, or
c) Shae is getting a seasonal cold of flu.
Statistically, c) is most likely. But is this the most likely
for Wes? I am almost afraid to find out.
Replies:
Subject: RSS feed

Author:
OzLand234
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 23:36:45 10/07/11 Fri

Wes, it'd be lovely to get an rss feed for your site...
Replies:
Subject: The Wreck of the Edmund FitzGerald

Author:
Leo
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 15:46:31 11/04/11 Fri

Just heard Gordon Lightfoot's rendition of this on BBC Radio 2 here in the UK
Never heard it before, what a powerful number!

Leo
Replies:
Subject: File structure change

Author:
Wes
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 20:58:16 11/17/11 Thu

Some time ago I changed the SLT file naming structure around. I left the old file structure intact in case someone had bookmarks to stories. The time has now come to clean things up. I will be deleting the old directories about December 1. This will not affect the stories; they will still be available in the new file structure, but if bookmarks to stories before Hat Trick don't work after December 1, you'll know why. All links in the Wiki should have been changed -- but if they haven't been, let me know and I'll pass it along to the people maintaining the Spearfish Lake Tales Wiki, or just post it here and someone from the Wiki should pick it up.
Subject: Wes' e-book formats - Request for feedback

Author:
Doug
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 11:10:47 10/08/11 Sat

For sometime now Wes has made his books available for purchase in a number of electronic formats - rtf was the first and more recently mobi/prc and epub.

Wes recently told me that for Picking up the Pieces about 70% of his sales were in the combined e-book formats.

As the person who prepares the e-book mobi/prc and epub conversions for Wes, I'm looking for some feed back on how the readers are finding the quality of the books. Is there anything I should change that I'm doing? Are you finding any "artifacts" in the books - greek characters in the print that should not be there? Anything else that is good or bad about the books?

Please preface your comments with which version of the book you are reading mobi/prc or epub.

Doug

Note - If you are using an early model of the Kobo and are experiencing issues with changing font size - there is a firmware upgrade you need to do - do a Google search on the issue.
Replies:
Subject: Waiting a year

Author:
Bob
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 23:53:13 11/15/11 Tue

Waiting a year is Talmudic, so much older than Hornblower.

There are provisions, say for the needs of the children for a widower or the financial stability for a widow.

Typically the matchmakers wait the year before approaching the widow/er.
Subject: Dave as a writer

Author:
Rob
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 09:28:31 11/11/11 Fri

Wes,

Reading the last few chapters I became curious. Just how much does "Dave as a writer" a reflection of that aspect of Wes' life.
Replies:
Subject: Picking up the Pieces

Author:
Skip
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 10:34:00 11/11/11 Fri

Friday 11 Nov 7:30 AM, Chap 27 seems to ve missing, is this OK, or is there a problem with AOL?
Replies:
Subject: Picking the Pieces 25 - Dave's Fantasy Story

Author:
Andrew
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 11:05:13 11/07/11 Mon

The story Dave is imagining has been written, although it never got finished. http://storiesonline.net/sex-story/47228
Not everything matches but Mack the Knife went a long way towards that image Dave has.
Replies:
Subject: There is tall

Author:
Boyd Percy
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 23:28:27 10/28/11 Fri

I was reading Rocinante recently when I came across the following passage. It certainly made me think of Shae. Kathy Griswold and Jackie Archer are sitting on a beach in Florida in April, 1971.

Kathy did the same, reaching up and untying the strings of her bikini top. "Oh, I'm really a little heavy for it," Kathy protested. "I pop out all over. Now, you have got the build for a bikini like you've got. I'd really love to be tall and slender and sexy, and be able to look like you do."

"I don't know," Jackie said, deciding to untie the strings of her top, as well. "I think sometimes that I'm too tall."

"If I were as tall as you," Kathy said, "I think I'd wear high heels, just to make me feel even taller. But then, I've always been so short and dumpy that I'm surprised Roger ever took a second look at me."

While Jackie tried to hold up her end of the conversation, there was a lot of food for thought in Kathy's remarks. All her life, Jackie had envied short girls, normal girls; she had never dreamed that they had envied her, too! And, apparently, Mark wasn't just pulling her leg when he said that she was pretty, too; Kathy evidently thought so.

I also wonder if in 1971 Buddha and Giselle were already at B&G Surf Shop on Sebastian Inlet which not too far south of Cape Canaveral. Maybe some day in their future Mark and Jackie will meet up with Buddha and Giselle. Stranger coincidences have happened in the Spearfish Lake/Dawnwalker Universe.
Subject: Growing Together on SOL

Author:
Boyd Percy
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 01:01:31 10/26/11 Wed

I saw Growing Together on SOL on the evening of October 25th. There was the usual disclaimer at the end of Chapter 1 that voting would be enabled near the end of the story. However, for some unexplained reason I was able to vote and I gave it a 10 since I really liked the story. The cumulative score at that point was 9.45.
Replies:
Subject: conflict between Homestanders & Picking Up the Pieces

Author:
Kirby Lambert
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 21:34:03 10/22/11 Sat

Wes:

I just read chapter 18 of Picking Up the Pieces and followed it up with the final chapter of Homestanders on SOL.

In Homestanders in the AM on 9-11 before the attack you talk about Jason being able to retire "early next spring" (2012). In chapter 18 of PUtP in a time frame that is October 2011 you have Jason already retired for a while and the new knife shop already open, but in Homestanders last chapter you say it won't be open until spring 2012.

Is this a boo-boo or did I read it incorrectly?

Kirby
Replies:
Main index ] [ Archives: 123456789[10] ]
[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2016 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.