VoyForums

23/07/03 14:51:33VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: [1]23456789 ]

Trapper Archive Forum, please do not post here
Welcome to our archive forum. The Owners Association functions through interraction with each other on our boards. This board is now archive only, please start and continue discussions on our new board, http://tallshipsailing.co.uk/trapperyachts/yabb/YaBB.pl Post questions, help provide answers, organise meets.
Return to the Trapper Owners website

Subject: TS 240 Keel ram fixing - Warning!

Author:
Paul
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 1/09/06 12:28:38

Hi all,

The saga continues! Removed ram mounting bracket which
was notionally attached to a carbon steel plate encapsulated in GRP to the rear face of the keel housing.

Found a vertical tear in the GRP about 8mm wide, ovalled holes in GRP which had slotted into crack. Ram bracket pulled off with 3 studs with including the outboard half nuts 'holding' the ram bracket.

Was able to remove one half of the carbon steel plate through the split and discovered that what at first impressions was a vertical split in the plate on centre line of studs was actually two pieces of plate.

On the removed piece all surfaces corroded and outer face had layers of what looked like mill scale. No evidence of any bonding at all on any surface.

MORE IMPORTANTLY THE TWO ABUTTING PLATE HALVES HAD TAPPED HOLES CENTERED ON THE VERTICAL JOINT LINE. THIS IS THE WORST 'COWBOY' CONSTRUCTION I CAN IMAGINE!

It would appear that the TWO pieces of carbon steel plate were butted together and glassed in probably without any pre bonding to the keel housing. The whole was allowed to cure AND THEN THE THREE HOLES WERE DRILLED AND TAPPED ON THE JOINT LINE!!!!!

The studs plain studs were inserted using screwdriver slots which as tightened would tend to lift the plate. Half nuts were fitted to retain the bracket and allow clearance for the ram body on its pivot bolt.

I cant prove this was the original construction but if it was ( and it certainly looks likely) it would be advisable for you all to check your boat for signs of a problem.

I am having a new st steel plate made with the studs welded in. Will cut out the old encapsulation and remaining half plate, clean up, abrade and bond the new plate to the keel housing before encapsulating.

John at C B Marine at Chi Marina who is making the new plate identified my 'mill scale' as a separate piece of (est )2mm carbon steel to make the 10mm carbon plate up to 12mm!!!

Sorry if this is alarmist but it could help you from having no keel lift capability.

Paul

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
Replies:
Subject: Rudder Bearings

Author:
Alistair C
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 31/08/06 13:07:09

Hi Folks,
I've just entered the world of Trapper ownership,
I believe that the lower rudder bearing is a bit wobbly,
has anyone got a source for these? I'm presuming they will need to be made up.

All the posts in this forum helped me make up my mind on the type of boat!

Cheers
Ali

Replies:
Subject: strange trapper

Author:
johnT
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 28/08/06 19:56:14

ive just looked at a boat advertised on @boatshedchichester.com : which strangely enough is at Christchurch

its advertised as a 1970 Trapper 500 15950

it has:
stepped coach roof
lazerette locker
skegged rudder
no sheer
wooden toerail
differant internal layout
and lots of other differances

what is it?
gimme a clue billy

Replies:
Subject: TS240 Keel Hydraulics

Author:
Paul
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 26/08/06 14:00:54

Hi all!

Went down to Nautibuoy anticipating a super sail on Friday only to find weight of keel held on pin. I normally leave this pressurised to take some load off the grp which is gradually slotting. Plan to sort this over winter.

Pump was very slack and would not operate keel even to take load off pin. Checked reservoir which at max finger depth of 1.5 inch showed no fluid. Checked viually at rear of keel housing and inner transom for leakage - nothing seen.

Filled reservoir with 0.75 litre of light hydraulic oil.
Pump seemed back to normal feel for three pumps but it then locked and no movement of keel. Reease valve and got two to three secs of air then nowt. Pump again did three pumps but to no avail. Repeated 4 times - no difference.

Is it poss that the system needs bleeding? how do I do this?
Could there be a significant leak out of sight ie in the pipe run between liner and hull?
Am I having a pump problem?

All advice comment gratefully recieved

cheers

Paul

Replies:
Subject: For Sale. Trapper 500 - 'Mishka'

Author:
Ron & Rick Nevitt (Sad.)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 24/08/06 13:18:08

Ron & Rick Nevitt are sad to announce that Mishka, their jointly owned Trapper 500, has got to be sold. After 7 years of safe and happy cruising on the South Coast from Chichester to Plymouth, the one trip to Cherbourg and back and the odd race, including the 2004 Round the Island Race when we finished 115th out of 1500 starters.(We have a Beken signed photo of Mishka passing The Needles to remind us.) Hopefully she will fetch 12,950 but we are prepared to haggle. For full details of equipment and 46 photos, please go to http://chichester.boatshed.com/viewboat.php?boat=16607. She is to be found in the 27-34 feet section -Ref 16607. Mishka can be viewed ashore at Chichester Harbour. Contact Ron on ronnevitt@tiscali.co.uk or Rick on rick.nev@tiscali.co.uk

Replies:
Subject: T500 Forward Hatch

Author:
Phil
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 8/06/06 16:33:49

I would like to update the forward hatch on the T500 from the original opague fibreglass version to a more current style ( Houdini etc) has anyone tried this and overcome the arc of the deck shape to allow a flat hatch to be fitted.

Replies:
Subject: Engine for Trapper 500

Author:
Norman Martin
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 9/07/06 11:23:21

Just to amplify my previous post.......

I'm looking for guidance if anyone has experience of fitting the Yanmar 1GM10, whether they find this adequate or are the bigger 2YM15 / 3YM20 more desireable / possible.

Any comments re installation would also be welcome.

Replies:
Subject: Trapper 500: Stanchions and Sternglands

Author:
Peter Coley
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 26/08/06 18:36:16

Hi there

We recently returned to Chichester from a terrific three weeks in the Scillies. On the way back two things happened which I'm looking for help with.

One of our stanchions broke - the base had rotted to the point where the screws no longer had good purchase and a shove on the guardrail as we pulled away from the pontoon at Falmouth saw it rip out unpleasantly. Does anyone know where I might source a stanchion to replace it - possibly the type that screws onto the toerail? Also, if I want to screw a replacement onto the original plate, how do I access the underside of the side deck, what with the inner skin cabin lining we all love so much...?

I've crossed the thread on my existing sterngland grease cup (doh). Any thoughts would be welcome on how to find a replacement, plus any tips on fitting it.

Best

Pete C

Trapper 'Geliefde' moored Dell Quay.

Replies:
Subject: TS240 Rudder

Author:
Dave
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 31/05/06 0:15:56

My TS240 rudder has been repaired by someone and is now looking decidedly in need of replacement - does anyone have a clever design for a home made one or even a good blade lying around?

Replies:
Subject: YSM8 - Bleeding Fuel Lines!

Author:
Neil
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 23/07/06 17:55:33

JUST before we slipped lines on Friday night the engine fought for breath and died - I waited until Sat morning before attempting to bleed the fuel system as it was my first time -- Yanmar YSM 8 - Single cylinder.

Bled through to the injectors and high pressure fuel line and it did start. The instructions talked about rotating the fly wheel to 'hear' the sound of the injectors and 'feel' the differences in tension ahead etc.

Used the hand crank but got no resistance and heard nothing.

After the engine started she spent a few minutes getting back on her feet. Loosing rev's then gaining them. After about 5-mins she was running as normal, I ran her ahead (in-gear) and put the batteries on to charge.

1) Is this rev cutting/returning issue normal after bleeding the fuel system?

2) WHat should I do to FEEL the resitance and HEAR the injectors - I must bne missing a step but the manual wasn't much help!

Replies:
Subject: Trapper Meet

Author:
Richard Swire
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 7/08/06 11:05:24

Due to preassures of work I have been unable to do any more re a meeting in September. If any one else wishes to pick up the poisened chalice, please do.

Pamino is off to Alderney 14th Aug, weather permitting, for 10 days of Chanel Island hoping. Any one else going to be in the area?

Replies:
Subject: Business opportunity?

Author:
nick
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 3/08/06 14:06:05

deacons have asked me to post this.........

TRAPPER 250 SPLIT HULL MOULD
NEEDS NEW HOME
(GOOD WORKABLE ORDER)

Contact Steve/Sean

Deacons Boatyard
Bursledon Bridge
Southampton
Hants
SO31 8AZ

Subject: spotting trappers in the solent 3.7.06

Author:
nick
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 3/08/06 9:33:59

This is going to make less sense than it was going to because I didn't write the name of the boat down, but here goes.

I was on the bridge of the Swan fan Makkum (large Brigantine, black hulled)in the solent yesterday and in the morning on our way to Cowes from Soton Docks we had a trapper sail very close to take a look.

Of course I waved because it was a trapper, but they probably just thought I was a friendly Dutchman!

I think it was a 300, but I've often looked down from the deck of the Swan and thought, "that's a nice little yacht", only to find out it was a 40 or 50 footer.

Anyway, blue hulled, name in white on the side, expensive looking sails.

Hope you had a good day in the Solent. We certainly did but it looked a bit rough at times later on for the smaller boats.

Subject: Major Leak - Windows

Author:
Neil Smith
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 24/07/05 21:40:23

Hi,

Just had new windows fitted to SAMARA (#497) last week by a boat yard on the IOW. Woke up at 0300 this morning with rain water streaming in through all the new windows - I do not exagerate. Cushions soaked on both sides and I don't fit in the forepeak - so a wet cold unpleasant night for me :-(

They appear to have applied some sealant but it's obviously not working.

What is the best way for these guys to fit these windows? Someone in the marina was talking about high density foam... I have not yet paid their bill and will hold off until they finish the job properly. Any advice would be most welcome.

Neil

Replies:
Subject: new prop

Author:
dale
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 25/07/06 20:25:17

Can anyone tell me what prop i will need for a trapper 500 with a kubota 12 engine & 2-1 gearbox. i have been quoted all from a 11*8 to a 12*13 i know that the trapper is limited but im not sure whether 12 is as big as i can go

Replies:
Subject: T300's in Plymouth UK going from strength to strength!

Author:
James Green
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 28/07/06 19:11:38

Just thought the rest of the Trapper world would like to know:-.

The local Trapper 300 class in Plymouth has developed notable momentum in 2006, with 8 or more boats moored in the port, and growing turnouts in both local handicap and class racing. Indeed the class racing has been particularly enjoyable, with boats being family sailed, often only with roller reefing genoas and some without spinnakers - the emphasis is on having fun - (for all the family) and has led to some close racing.

The design has been welcomed for being rewarding to sail, big enough to sleep on board, but small enough to be able to run economically and to sail shorthanded.

A passage race or two are planned, with the intention to provide an efficient cruise in company for those who like a sense of purpose, or for those who would like support in making some of their first coastal passages.

The self-help theme continues through the winter, with owners discussing best laying up sites, moorings, mods to the boats or simply offering advice based upon individual experience.

All in all, we think its a good time to be a T300 owner moored in Plymouth!

Subject: Bristol channel sailing

Author:
Mike
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 14/07/06 19:14:15

I'm thinking of moving my T300 from Fareham to Watchet next year. I keep hearing horror stories about the tides in the Bristol Channel. Has anyone experience of sailing in this area and the choice of Watchet as a home port.

Replies:
Subject: Drying out

Author:
Chris Fagg
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: 12/07/06 15:14:15

I have a Trapper 300 with an original lead fin keel. I want to dry out against a wall to clean her bottom. Does anyone have experience of this?

Replies:
Main index ] [ Archives: [1]23456789 ]
[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT+1
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2016 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.