VoyForums

Tuesday, October 24, 06:45:19amVoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 1[2]345678910 ]

http://johnthaw.topcities.com/images/Thaw

Why not be the first to try out our new John Thaw live chat room?

Free Java Chat from Bravenet.com Free Java Chat from Bravenet.com

This forum is a courtesy of JOHN THAW 1942-2002

Subject: Edgar Wallace Mysteries

Author:
Janet
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Friday, July 06, 10:45:01am

On 15th October vol 5 & 7 of the Edgar Wallace Mysteries will be released, these will contain the episodes DEAD MAN'S CHEST and FIVE TO ONE, which both star John Thaw, and if you have never seen them I highly recommend you treating yourselves.
Replies:
Subject: Ray Thaw's Birthday Anniversary

Author:
Theresa H
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Thursday, November 15, 01:41:17am

A reminder folks that today is the anniversary of the Birthday of John’s only brother and sibling, Raymond. Ray was born in 1944 and died in 2003.

Let’s not forget what a good friend Ray was to this site. R.I.P. Ray.
Subject: James Grout...

Author:
Janet
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Wednesday, July 04, 07:08:16pm

Just found out that James Grout died on 24th June 2012 aged 84. R.I.P James.
Subject: The Bofors Gun...

Author:
Janet
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Monday, July 02, 08:05:48pm

Coming to DVD on 20th August
Discription from Amazon website
Nichol Williamson and David Warner star in this savage and uncompromising 1968 British film classic, set on a British Army base in Cold War Germany. Lance Bombardier Terry Evans (David Warner) is about to be sent home for officer selection and training.

All he has to do is make it through one more night, in charge of a small guard detachment.... Young and ineffectual, Evans is not respected by the national servicemen he commands. Flynn (Ian Holm) doubts his decisions while cockney Featherstone (John Thaw) is filled with contempt for him. Gunner O Rourke (Nicol Williamson) is openly insubordinate at first.

Very quickly, it becomes obvious that O Rourke is going mad and that army discipline shatters when confronted by someone very dangerous and with nothing left to lose...

Adapted from his own play by John McGrath, The Bofors Gun won the 1969 Best Supporting Actor BAFTA (Ian Holm) while Nichol Williamson was BAFTA nominated for Best Actor. This truly unforgettable film has now been digitally remastered and restored especially for its first ever release on DVD.
Subject: Inspector Morse prequel Endeavour is to return for a full series

Author:
Janet
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Monday, March 12, 09:56:40am

The original project, which starred Shaun Evans as a young Endeavour Morse, attracted 8.2m viewers in January.

Evans will reprise the role in four 2-hour episodes, to be filmed in Oxford later in 2012. Also returning from the pilot are Roger Allam (Inspector Fred Thursday), James Bradshaw (Dr Max Debryn) and Abigail Thaw, daughter of original Inspector Morse star John Thaw.

"It was fantastic that the audience responded so warmly to Endeavour," said ITV drama's Sally Haynes. "Shaun's portrayal of a legendary character was captivating and Endeavour thoroughly deserves a series - there's so much more we can do with the character."

Producer Dan McCulloch added: "We're delighted to be making a series of Endeavour and have been overwhelmed by the reaction to the first film.

"Russell Lewis has some bold plans to further enrich the mythology of Morse, introducing some significant new characters, and re-establishing some old favourites, all of whom are destined to have a massive impact on the future inspector's life."

The new series will be produced by McCulloch and executive produced by Mammoth Screen's joint managing directors, Michele Buck and Damien Timmer.

Last year, Shaun Evans told Digital Spy that he was eager to reprise the role of Morse in a full series of Endeavour.

"I certainly had a good time and I feel like, in terms of the story and where he's at, there's definitely room for growth," he said.

In addition, a further four two-hour episodes of Inspector Morse spinoff Lewis will air on ITV1 from May.

Kevin Whately (Lewis) suggested earlier this year that the show would not last "a lot longer", adding that he is "now police retirement age".

Inspector Morse prequel Endeavour to get full series?
Replies:
Subject: Remembering Ray Thaw

Author:
Theresa H
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Friday, June 08, 11:41:32pm

Folks today is the anniversary of the death of Ray Thaw who died 9th June 2004.

Its fitting I think that we remember Ray today for his massive contribution to the material and information on this site. It was a wonderful, positive way for him to honour the memory of his brother, John.

Ray was also very friendly and generous to those fans of John, including myself, who were in occassional contact with him. His interest was very much appreciated.

R.I.P. Ray.
Theresa H
Replies:
Subject: The Sweeney on blu-ray!

Author:
Janet
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Monday, May 28, 09:59:41am

Here is the link for series 1 of The Sweeney on blu-ray out 24th September, here is their description...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sweeney-Complete-1-Blu-ray/dp/B0085UDHDE/ref=sr_1_1?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1338209042&sr=1-1

Product Description "We're The Sweeney, son - and we haven't had any dinner."

Rough, tough and politically incorrect in the way that only the best '70s drama series can be, The Sweeney is one of the major television successes of the last fifty years.

Featuring John Thaw as the irascible Detective Inspector Regan and Dennis Waterman as his loyal 'oppo', Detective Sergeant Carter, this benchmark television series is now available on Blu-ray at a previously unseen level of quality.

Special Features * Brand new High Definition transfer and restoration * Brand-new commemorative booklet by Archive TV historian Andrew Pixley * Dolby 5.1 track along with original as-broadcast Mono and music-only tracks * Interview with creator Ian Kennedy-Martin *

Commentaries with Dennis Waterman, Garfield Morgan, producer Ted Childs, writers Trevor Preston and Troy Kennedy-Martin, directors Tom Clegg and David Wickes and editor Chris Burt * Episode introductions by guest stars Warren Mitchell, Wanda Ventham, Prunella Gee, John Forgeham, Billy Murray, Tony Selby and Dudley Sutton  
Replies:
Subject: Would like to find DVD's of the memorial shows for John

Author:
Lee Franks (confused)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Friday, May 11, 03:47:56pm

I've seen reference made to three broadcasts about John and would love to acquire them for my ever growing collection of his works. The John Thaw Story from 2002, John Taw: An Appreciation 2002 and THe unforgetable John Thaw from 2012.
Came upon this marvelously talented man only a short time ago and have purchased all of his works for my collection and would love to have these tributes to complete the collection. He was without a doubt the best actor I've ever seen.. so sensitive in his interpretations, just brilliant. So sad he had such a difficult time in his life and even more sad that he's left us.. he was only getting better.
Subject: John's walk

Author:
Bob E.
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Sunday, January 22, 06:39:07pm

I think this was discussed years ago. Did John have any surgery or problem with his right leg? He seemed to walk with a slight limp.
Replies:
Subject: Sheila Hancock The two of us

Author:
Sarah (happy)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Tuesday, March 13, 06:36:42pm

Just coming to the end of this lovely, beautifully written book. Rational, empathetic, real and full of warmth. Just read a section that says this message board was getting less busy and that John would be forgotten, so thought I'd contribute -not in our household! We're full of admiration for all his work. Aged thirty we love I.Morse and the Sweeny, they're classic.

Looking forward to Endeavour good luck with that everyone.
Sheila you are wonderful!
Subject: jenson interseptor????

Author:
emily maggs (:))
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Wednesday, March 07, 07:40:48pm

any 1 know where i can find a picture of john thaws jenson interseptor from "stanley and the women"
my dad worked on it a while back and he wud love to know where it is these days.
Subject: video

Author:
mfr
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, February 25, 03:36:48pm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-17154137
Subject: Remembering John... Ten years on!

Author:
Janet
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Monday, February 20, 08:03:14pm

Today ten years after he passed away, John is still fondly remembered, thanks in part too new dramas like Lewis and now Endeavour, which are keeping John's well loved character of Inspector Morse firmly in the public's eye.

John passed away on Thursday 21st February 2002, but thankfully there are new dvd releases, which are keeping his wonderful creations alive for generations of fans to see.

Today and everyday we remember John with love, and we hold his family in our thoughts, later tonight I'm going to mark his anniversary by watching Killer Waiting, one of my all time favourite dramas.

John! You were and still are simply the best, god bless you gov'.
Regards Janet
Replies:
Subject: ENDEAVOUR

Author:
Gisèle (Happy)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Tuesday, February 14, 06:52:10am

Hi,
I bought Endeavour and watched it two times during the WE. It's great and I hope a series will follow. I found again Morse's spirit and all the references I love (music, crosswords,...) Pure nostalgia.
Shaun Evans is sensitive and the all cast good as usual in Morse.
Regards.
Replies:
Subject: HELP

Author:
Lynn Roden
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Thursday, January 19, 07:48:45pm

I am trying to find the therapist who treated John Thaw for his depression and alcohol issues for a dear friend who is suffering, does anyone have any idea who he was?
Replies:
  • Re: HELP -- Gisèle, Saturday, January 21, 11:36:29am
Subject: Lewis...could be ending soon.

Author:
Janet
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Wednesday, January 18, 02:03:51pm

Watch this video clip on this link as Kevin talks about Endeavour, Morse and Lewis.

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2012-01-18/kevin-whately-hints-at-quitting-lewis
Subject: 'Endeavour' Section now added to this Site

Author:
Theresa H
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Friday, January 13, 02:25:43am

Folks

Joe,the faithful administrator of this site, has now added a brilliant look new section to the site, dedicated to the news and information on the tele-drama,'Endeavour', based on experiences of the young 'Morse'. Have a look here:

www.johnthaw.topcities.com/endeavour.html

(if page not linking, just cut and paste address or go to main site and link on home page.)

Also Joe's summary of planned updates are at the bottom of the sites Home page.

Thanks Joe!
Subject: Vote for Endeavour

Author:
Janet
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Thursday, January 05, 01:20:42pm

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2012-01-03/endeavour---should-it-get-a-full-series

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2012-01-05/we-want-more-endeavour!---97-per-cent-of-radiotimescom-users-demand-a-full-series

Use the top one please to vote for more of Endeavour even if you haven't seen it yet, as every vote counts towards keeping John's memory alive.
Regards Janet
Replies:
Subject: desert island discs

Author:
mfr
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Monday, January 09, 03:25:22am

hi don't know if you have already heard it but john thaw's desert island discs is available on iplayer now...

only just found it and i dont have time to listen to it yet but it says its 40 mins so i assume its the whole thing.. i will listen to it when i get home from work (i hope you can fast forward throught the classical music parts otherwise i'm going to struggle to listen to it)

its on the bbc website, search for desert island discs then search name..

sorry if you already knew i'm usually the last to know anything (mainly as i never pay attention)

mfr
Replies:
Subject: New documentary on John...

Author:
Janet
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Sunday, November 06, 03:09:47pm

A new series starts on Tuesday called The Unforgettable's, on ITV1, and one of the episodes will feature John Thaw no idea which week he will be screened, could someone in the UK possiblely record it for me onto dvd (as i dont have a video recorder) and would hate not having it in my collection?

Apparently this new series is only going to be half hour in length, where as before it was an hour, which I think is very unfair, people like John could easy fill two hours instead of half an hour, but that's better then nothing.
Replies:
Subject: John's Birthday Anniversary

Author:
Theresa H
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Tuesday, January 03, 01:54:06am

Today, January 3rd, is the 70th anniversary of John’s Birthday. Let’s all remember this special man and outstanding actor, by watching something of his to mark this day.

I’ll be watching the Inspector Morse episode, ‘The Dead of Jericho’. It’s where it all began for John as Morse.

Regards
Theresa H
Replies:
Subject: havent seen this before

Author:
mfr
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, December 10, 05:19:22pm

Sorry if posted before but I'd not seen this ... Random

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xodZI8h0dk&feature=youtube_gdata_player
Replies:
Subject: Why did John Thaw look so old

Author:
Andrew
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Tuesday, November 22, 11:11:10pm

Did he always get cast as older people and wear makeup? Did he live the worst possible lifestyle? Did he have bad genes.

He was 33 years old when The Sweeney began shooting -- that's the age Dicaprio was in The Departed -- and he looks at least ten years older, maybe 15.

He looks like an old man in Morse, right from the '87 episodes, but he's only 45 years old. That's four years younger than Brad Pitt is right now.

Hell, he was nearly an exact contemporary of Harrison Ford, who was starring in action films more than a decade after that. Look at Ford in the Mosquito Coast or Frantic and think, same age as Morse. It's utterly shocking.

Explanations?
Replies:
Subject: Sweeney Car

Author:
Theresa H
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Tuesday, November 22, 09:40:41pm

Folks, you may find the attached article interesting, about the Ford/s used in the Sweeney. Some lucky car collector seems to have bought one and since discovered it's connection to the show! (if link doesn't work, just cut and paste):
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/classiccars/8892180/The-Sweeney-classic-Ford-Granada.html
Main index ] [ Archives: 1[2]345678910 ]
[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-4
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2017 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.