VoyForums
GIVE FREE FOOD
www.TheHungerSite.com
-> Click Here <-
Fund Free Mammograms with a Click
www.TheBreastCancerSite.com
-> Click Here <-
Non-profit ad served by VoyForums...

Tuesday, October 24, 03:01:30amVoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 1234567[8]910 ]

http://johnthaw.topcities.com/images/Thaw

Why not be the first to try out our new John Thaw live chat room?

Free Java Chat from Bravenet.comFree Java Chat from Bravenet.com

This forum is a courtesy of JOHN THAW 1942-2002

Subject: Sheila Hancock to star in Sister Act: The Musical

Author:
Leila
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Thursday, January 29, 06:38:38pm

The £7 million stage show will have its world premiere at the London Palladium in June. It will be produced by Whoopi Goldberg, who played the lead in the 1992 comedy.

Goldberg originally starred as Deloris Van Cartier, a Las Vegas club singer who witnesses a Mafia murder and seeks refuge in a convent, where she breathes new life into the nuns' choir.

Hancock, 75, will play the formidable Mother Superior, portrayed in the film by Dame Maggie Smith. Patina Miller, a 24-year-old US actress, will take the role of Deloris. If the show is a hit it will transfer to Broadway.

Goldberg told The Daily Telegraph she was "thrilled" to cast Hancock, the Olivier Award-winning actress and wife of the late John Thaw. "Sheila Hancock is one of those people who you just look at and think, 'If only I could be half as good.' I felt the same about Maggie Smith. To have someone of Sheila's stature is fantastic because it's just what this show needs."

The actress is launching Sister Act during a testing time for theatreland. The West End enjoyed a record year in 2008, but there have been gloomy predictions about the coming year as the recession takes hold. Musicals are proving more resilient than plays, and Goldberg hopes Sister Act will emulate the success of Mamma Mia!, Dirty Dancing and Hairspray, which have prospered despite the downturn.

"People want to be entertained - they want something that says, 'You know what? It's rough out there but let's have fun.' In the Depression of the 1930s, people went to the cinema to spend their last five cents. That's when people fell in love with Shirley Temple, because she offered a haven from the realities of life. Theatre has that same effect. Our aim is to deliver a fun, exciting show."

The musical will not be a carbon copy of the film, which took $250 million at the box office. Deloris has been transformed into a talented singer, unlike the hopelessly out-of-tune character played by Goldberg. The Motown soundtrack has been replaced by a score from the Oscar-winning Alan Menken, whose credits include Little Shop of Horrors and Beauty and the Beast.

Goldberg, star of Ghost and The Colour Purple, said she was not tempted to appear in the show herself: "Are you kidding me? Are you nuts? I'm 53. I can't do eight shows a week of anything. And it's written for people who can actually sing."

Sister Act opens on June 2, with previews from May 7. "It was the general consensus that we would have a richer time in London than anywhere. If you're going to open out of town, then London's the out of town you want to be in," said Goldberg.
Replies:
Subject: Janet Stalled

Author:
Theresa H
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Wednesday, January 28, 03:34:25am

Folks - unfortunate news - Janet asked me to tell you, she is without her PC again! It was playing up - not reading CD's. So the company she bought it from has asked her to return it for repairs or replacement. So hopefully that won't take too long.

Also, is there anyone who still regularly visits the MorseTalk Forum? If so, Janet has asked if you would mind please copying the Morse Quizzes she's missing, for her? Thanks. Sandra I thought you might be able to help? Or anyone who visits MorseTalk.
I hadn't been on for ages and I am having all the trouble in the world trying to get back in even with new login etc. So thanks if anyone can help.
Cheers
Theresa H
Subject: GUESS WHO!!!!

Author:
Janet
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Friday, January 23, 10:01:03am

Hi Everyone
I'm back online though still having some problems, new laptop the disc drive won't work (don't know why but it won't play my dvds or cds or even cd-roms) so got to get sister to ring up about it for me.

Still got heaps to transfer to this before i can start doing anything, and get used to this dam keypad, as i'm a touch typeist its taking me ages to write this cos of all the spelling errors.

I have no office software to write emails so have to be patient with me.

That's the good news sort off, now the bad, i'm in serious pain with my leg after our kitten ran up it in October, making it hard for me to sit down for any periods of time.

So please all bear with me, and i'm sure i'll be fully back up and running as soon as i can.

Can't tell you all how muich i've missed you, and just waht to say thanks to Theresa for keeping me up-to-date with whats been happening. Its awful having no access to the outside world and i've felt very lonely.

So i'm really pleased to get back online.
Take care everyone
Love Janet
Replies:
Subject: UK DVD NEWS ON JOHN!!!

Author:
Janet
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, January 24, 10:10:10am

Well only just back and here you are news of a dvd release for you, thanks Richard for letting me know before christmas about this but i check with companies etc before adding here.

THICK AS THIEVES: THE COMPLETE SERIES is being released on 9th February (though also heard of date 28th January) so not sure but Amazon have Feb date. Released by Network for £14.99 Amazon price £9.98. I've just pre-ordered mine.
Take care everyone
Love Janet
Subject: Spam problem. Also Aust update on John

Author:
Theresa H
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Monday, January 19, 12:04:35am

Iím just putting this message on to start a proper thread again. These ridiculous spam messages seem to have just popped up over the weekend! However, Iíve let Joe know about it so he can clean it up when he can Ė just in case he hasnít had a chance to look at the Forum himself for a while.

By the way, an Australian Update - Series 5 of KAVANAGH QC has now been released in Australia. Lucky me! Imagine my pleasant surprise when I saw James Kavanagh smiling up at me again from the DVD shelves in the shop! It has the four final episodes plus The End of Law movie.

So thatís all of Kavanagh out in Australia now. They are available in quite a few DVD outlets here. As is a new release of INSPECTOR MORSE. Morse has been redone (by same company I think) but with series broken into two or three, smaller 2 DVD sets (instead of 4). So you now donít have to fork out the bigger bucks by having to previously buy whole series at once. They are also in all major DVD outlets.

I think all episodes of SWEENEY now released here too Ė and again quite easy to pick up in the shops. Just thought youíd like to know that Johnís most popular performances are well and truly up there and in the current public eye in Australia Ė and easily available. It all helps to keep Johnís name and work continuing to be known and appreciated.

Also, Sheilaís book ĎJUST MEí is available in all major bookshops here Ė and some smaller ones. Has been basically just after it came out in U.K. However, to date I have only seen a large soft-cover version. I havenít seen a hard cover version yet.

Cheers all
Theresa H
Australia
Replies:
Main index ] [ Archives: 1234567[8]910 ]
[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-4
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2017 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.