VoyForums
[ Show ]
Support VoyForums
[ Shrink ]
VoyForums Announcement: Programming and providing support for this service has been a labor of love since 1997. We are one of the few services online who values our users' privacy, and have never sold your information. We have even fought hard to defend your privacy in legal cases; however, we've done it with almost no financial support -- paying out of pocket to continue providing the service. Due to the issues imposed on us by advertisers, we also stopped hosting most ads on the forums many years ago. We hope you appreciate our efforts.

Show your support by donating any amount. (Note: We are still technically a for-profit company, so your contribution is not tax-deductible.) PayPal Acct: Feedback:

Donate to VoyForums (PayPal):

a, December 16 2019Login ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 1234567[8]910 ]

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Date Posted: Sunday, August 22, 09:17:11am
Author: El Duque
Subject: I know you are at least fairly new to the board, and I'm saying this with no disrespect intended. You're "preaching to the choir" when you say something like that to me.
In reply to: MFE08 's message, "Also true, things are FAR better than they were. Doesn't mean they can't be even better." on Saturday, August 21, 09:38:13pm

I've been on this board since Scott Edgar was coach.

I supported - the best I can from being 300+ miles away - the efforts to remove Porter and Nee when it became evident they couldn't get the job done, and Colleary. The business of getting someone removed from his or her job is pretty damned ugly.

When the dust cleared after Nee and Colleary were gone, this was the WORST D1 men's basketball program in the nation. It couldn't beat the upper echelon D2s, D3s, or NAIAs and would have struggled mightily against St. Anthony's, St. Patrick's, and St. Benedict's -- just to name a couple NJ programs.

Ron Everhart has broken the back of the blight in which the program has existed. He has brought in top quality players and we have seen kids develop and improve under his guidance. He's put together three consecutive winning seasons and two consecutive post season appearances.

Anyone who really, really understands the game and how things work will tell you that he has accomplished nothing short of a miracle.

Along the way there have been some fits and starts. Guys who didn't pan out or who didn't fit the program once they came or wheren't willing to make the kind of effort it takes to be successful.

But again - this is Duquesne. A guy like Blobby Thuggins can walk into a program and go to the NCAAs his first year because he will attract the blue chip players. Part of that is reputation (he's proven he's a winning coach) and part of that is disregard for NCAA rules (he never had a kid graduate at Cinci) and all of that is despite the fact that he really is a lousy human being. His little incident in Vegas, if anyone believes his foot fell asleep and he had an innocent mishap, I have a couple bridges in North Dakota for sale. Dude's been tagged for driving while impaired already, and was probably blitzed out of his mind and chasing a hooker when he tripped. Ron Everhart doesn't get to operate his program that way.

And when you have to do things the right way, you have to take the time to build a program. If you want it to be sustainable, you have to do it right.

The problem is, we live in this microwave era when we expect instant gratification. Everything doesn't work that way. You can get a kangaroo burger with a million grams of fat and salt in 2 seconds, but you don't get my mother's spaghetti and meatballs that way. The sauce takes all day to cook.

Now, you're probably thinking that I am OK with NIT or whatever those other tournaments are called and 17-20 wins, and you're wrong.

I want to go to the NCAA Tournament every year, win a couple games, and once in a while make a dangerous run to a latter round. That's the most you could hope for a mid-major program.

Xavier and Temple are the best models of consistency in the A-10. Other teams come and go over the years - UMass with Cheaterpari, URI with "What rules?" Harrick, GWU under Jarvis. Dayton every now and then. But X and T always seem to be there.

That's where I'd like to be. A top three team in the A-10.

I will be happy when we get there.

And I think Everhart is the guys who gets this done.

But again, you have to build a program.

With Saunders, Clark, Evans and Monteiro, we have some good veteran depth and leadership. We know TJ is going to be a player. We hear good this about Jones, Talley, Martin, and "Air Jamaica." Marhold has talent and will hopefully take the leap this year. Peggau can be a beast if he stays healthy. I love Sean Johnson as a player. This could be the year, especially if Saunders stays healthy.

But my friend, the other side is that there are guys who just rip and bash constantly. Nothing constructive ever in any of their posts. The truth is that most are closet NATs (non-atheltic types) who would like to see basketball go away so we can have a tiddlywinks team.

Don't fall into that trap. Stay hungry, but support the program.

Peace!

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2019 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.