Thursday, April 10, 2014 – VoyForums News: 'Heartbleed' vulnerability in OpenSSL
VoyForums
GIVE FREE FOOD
www.TheHungerSite.com
-> Click Here <-
FUND FREE MAMMOGRAMS
www.TheBreastCancerSite.com
-> Click Here <-
Non-profit ad served by VoyForums...

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345678910 ]

DUQUESNE DUKES FOOTBALL FORUM
~DUQUESNE DUKES FOOTBALL FORUM~
This forum is for discussion of Duquesne Football since other excellent Duquesne Basketball forums exist. (Links below). It is also open to all Duquesne sponsored or club sports.Duquesne sponsors: Basketball (M/W), Cross Country (M/W), Football, Soccer (M/W), Swimming (W), Tennis (M/W), Track and Field (M/W), LaCrosse (W), Crew (W), Volleyball (W). Club Sports include Ice Hockey and Men's Crew. Some posts on this Forum may be re-posted on the Duquesne Football Blog (See Duquesnesports.blogspot.com). This is a discussionforum where you are a guest. Treat others as you would like to be treated. No foul language, using another's moniker or personal attacks. Character on the field and on this forum reflects upon Duquesne. Links to this site are encouraged. Feedback is welcome. -Coffee

~OTHER DUQUESNE LINKS~

*COFFEE'S DUQUESNE FOOTBALL BLOG*
*OFFICIAL Northeast Conference Football SITE*
*The Sports Network FCS Page*
*USA Today Sagarin Division I College Football Rankings*
*Real Time RPI Division 1 College Football Rankings*
*College Football Data Warehouse*
*ESPN Radio Northeast Conference Notebook*

"> *The NEW Northeast Conference Football Forum*

DUE TO TECHNICAL ISSUES, I LOST MOST OF THE LINKS, PICTURES AND OTHER FEATURES FOR THIS FORUM. MY APOLOGIES TO THOSE WHO I SENT TRAFFIC TO IN THE PAST. THIS WILL TAKE SOME TIME TO RE-BUILD. PLEASE REFER TO THE LINKS STILL FEATURED IN THE BLOG- Coffee

Subject: Spring Game 2014

Author:
Judge Jack McVay Jr
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Sunday, April 13, 03:46:38pm

Hello everyone, beautiful day for game and moving balloon ceremony for Ryan! Buchel was chucking it all over the lot and players to watch on O are 27 Juan Johnson from Seatlle and 1 Oduho back from last year out of Erie. They stood out to me along with a generally well coordinated efficient practice!

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]

Subject: Big Time Football with Games at Buffalo and Youngstown State

Author:
Coffee
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Sunday, April 06, 08:59:27am

The game at the University of Buffalo is on 8/30 followed by Youngstown State on 9/6. Buffalo is a 3.5 hour drive and YSU is under an hour depending on where you live. The Bulls played in a BCS level bowl game last year.

I've never seen the stadium at Buffalo but the pictures show an awesome 30,000 seat stadium.

I just drove past YSU's field and it dominates the area around it. And YSU is a traditional FCS powerhouse.

I'm not sure about getting to the Buffalo game but my Durango seats 8. Anybody need ride to Youngstown?

[> Subject: Re: Big Time Football with Games at Buffalo and Youngstown State

Author:
Tim
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Friday, April 11, 09:58:38am

Went on a recruiting visit to Buffalo last year with my son and the stadium is pretty nice. We were laughing that all the fire hydrants have 10 ft poles sticking up from them so if the snow gets too deep the plows don't flatten them. They have pre-game concerts in the tailgate lot. Blues Traveler was there the game we attended.

Subject: Spring Football

Author:
Judge Jack McVay Jr
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Wednesday, March 05, 01:37:34pm

Hello everyone, Just a note that Spring practice begins next Wednesday to be followed by the football banquet Friday April 11th at the Doubletree Greentree followed by the Spring game the next day! Hope to see some of you there!

[> Subject: Re: Spring Football

Author:
Coffee
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Sunday, April 06, 08:44:16am

Hope to see folks out for the Spring Game!

Subject: DUKES TO ADD 2,500 SEATS AT ROONEY!!

Author:
Coffee
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Thursday, April 03, 08:16:48pm

I just heard that the Dukes will extend the main grandstands at Rooney up over the sidewalk, add seats in the endzone by Mellon Hall and add 12 rows of seats in front of Academic Walk to make a kind of horseshoe design adding 2,500 seats to put capacity legitimately over 5,000. This includes a bigger scoreboard and a couple of box seat compartments atop the pool building.
The design shows a walkway across the back of the existing press box for access.

[> Subject: Re: DUKES TO ADD 2,500 SEATS AT ROONEY!!

Author:
Duke Nukem
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Sunday, March 30, 09:25:40pm

Maybe it is enough to get us off the "Bottom 10" FCS List- See:
http://www.egriz.com/grizboard/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=59969

[> [> Subject: Re: DUKES TO ADD 2,500 SEATS AT ROONEY!!

Author:
Fr. Straub
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Tuesday, April 01, 09:49:00pm

You had me going there Coffee. Wishful thinking and Happy April Fools Day to you too!

[> [> [> Subject: Re: DUKES TO ADD 2,500 SEATS AT ROONEY!!

Author:
Coffee
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Thursday, April 03, 08:16:48pm

Got me!

Subject: 2014

Author:
Duker
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Wednesday, March 26, 10:06:14pm

Dukes to face U of Buffalo week 1

[> Subject: Re: 2014

Author:
Judge jack McVay jr
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, January 25, 11:52:28am

This will be a challenge but also a step forward for the program!

Author:
TheFace
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Sunday, January 26, 11:42:56pm

Love it, but source?

Author:
Coffee
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Tuesday, January 28, 06:20:05pm

This would be fantastic. Is is confirmed?

[> [> Subject: Re: 2014

Author:
magic
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Wednesday, January 29, 08:37:41pm

Inside sources have confirmed!

[> [> [> Subject: Re: 2014

Author:
j\Judge Jack McVay Jr
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Friday, January 31, 03:30:41pm

Pretty cool that Dukes are playing a team that last played in the Idaho Potato Bowl and Coffee mentioned past Dukes Coach Terry Smith so I would like to say Rest In Peace former Dukes Coach Curtis Bray!

[> [> [> [> Subject: Re: 2014

Author:
Coffee
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Friday, January 31, 10:36:00pm

The following is from Always a Duke:

lThe Dukes' 2014 season will include the following non-conference games:

Buffalo (A)
Youngstown State (A)
Dayton (H)
Monmouth (H)
West Liberty State (H)

The contract to play Georgia Southern in 2014 was terminated, and Duquesne will be provided monetary compensation from Georgia Southern as a result.

Look for Albany, Bucknell, and Dayton to be on the Dukes' 2015 schedule.

[> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: 2014

Author:
Coffee
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, February 22, 01:47:43pm

WHY West Liberty again????

Subject: Co-Defensive Coordinator???

Author:
Coffee
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, March 01, 09:37:00am

I know that this may be a good addition to the staff since we hired a guy with actual solid coaching experience at other universities rather than a former player barely older than the players. I just have a bad feeling about having two captains trying to set a course on defense.
http://www.goduquesne.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/022614aac.html

Subject: Condolences

Author:
Judge Jack McVay Jr
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Friday, February 07, 05:31:27pm

Personal condolences to Coach Schmitt and all coaches and members of the Duquesne football family on the passing of Ryan Fleming!

Subject: Signings

Author:
The Face
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Wednesday, February 05, 10:48:07am

http://wewearthering.com/?p=1667

Here's what we know so far.

[> Subject: Re: Signings

Author:
Judge Jack McVay Jr
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Friday, February 07, 05:23:12pm

It looks like an outstanding recruiting class and I believe Dukes have more kids in the Big 33 game than Pitt? Great job coaches!

Subject: Recruiting!

Author:
TheFace
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, February 01, 01:58:02am

Hey guys, we have a list tracking some of the verbals we know about and other transfers too. Give it a look! Signing day is close!

http://wewearthering.com/2014-duquesne-football-verbal-commitment-list/

[> Subject: Re: Recruiting! More on Matt Voytik

Author:
Coffee
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Tuesday, February 04, 12:01:49pm

Voytik is a great student as well as a great athlete recruited by some D-1 schools.
http://recruiting.scout.com/2/1371901.html

Subject: Former Duke's Coach on Franklin's Staff at Penn State

Author:
Coffee
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Tuesday, January 28, 07:10:50pm

Terry Smith, defensive recruiting coordinator/cornerbacks coach under new Penn State coach James Franklin coached at Duquesne from1997 to 2000 after his playing days at Gateway and Penn State.

Subject: Dukes Defense might be getting even stronger.

Author:
The Face
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Tuesday, January 07, 10:47:56pm

Looks like Wayne Capers and Armstead Williams, both local guys, both BCS guys, are on their way back home.

http://wewearthering.com/2014/01/07/recruiting-update-wayne-capers-armstead-williams/

[> Subject: Re: Dukes Defense might be getting even stronger.

Author:
Always a Duke
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Wednesday, January 08, 04:45:11pm

I have it on good authority that local players, Armstead Williams (Purdue) and Wayne Capers (Arizona), have successfully transferred and are registered to begin classes at Duquesne today, the first day of the spring semester, and have secured lodging in the dorms. Best of luck in school and on the football field, fellows!

Subject: Football and soccer philosophy and society

Author:
Knut Holt
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Tuesday, January 07, 09:18:20pm

The following thoughts regard both football of American style, soccer and actually all team sports.

By studying the philosophy of football managers, you can often deduce a lot about the society where the managers have been rised.

Managers having a rigid philosophy that allow very little individual choise and artistry for the players, are often rised in a very authoritorian society.

Many societies seem very democratic at the surface, yet are strictly autoritarian when real decisions are made.

An example of such a society is Norway, and an example of a football manager that show that autoritorian leadership is Egil Drillo Olsen, actually an old marxist that lead his teams according to soviet communist style.

So, if you want to learn how the Norwegian society is working, study Norwegian football managers.

Much of the same can be said about English and American football managers, but those show openly their authoritarian attitude, while Norwegian managers hide it from the surface.

Managers from latino countries may appear authoritarian at the surface but they allow the players to develop their personal artistic style and allow thw team to take decisions as the play goes along.

It is obvious, based on a long history, what kind of managers and what kind of players that make the best results, namely the latino type.

Knut Holt
By the way, visit my website where you find a lot of stuff about health, training, fitness abd sexuality:
http://www.abicana.com

Subject: Congrats Christian Kuntz on All-American recognition!

Author:
TheFace
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Thursday, December 19, 12:59:30am

http://wewearthering.com/2013/12/19/christian-kuntz-american/

Only four other Dukes have been so recognized!

Subject: Congratulations Coaches and Dukes

Author:
Judge Jack McVay Jr
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Thursday, December 05, 10:09:42am

I am of the opinion that the coaches did an outstanding job in achieving a tie for first place in the conference and a winning season! There were significant losses from last years team and the Dukes entered the season with question marks and a talented but unproven freshman quarterback. I liked what I saw and remain optimistic that with a little more assistance from alumni and administration that this program could really take off! Great Job Jerry and staff!P.S. Note my prediction of winning season and Pirate playoffs back in August....if I could only predict election results!:)

[> Subject: Re: Congratulations Coaches and Dukes

Author:
The Face
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Friday, November 29, 10:41:25am

The improvement of the defense as the season went on was welcome. Looking forward to seeing what Buechel can do with some real freedom. I think they need a new OC, but I'm good with Schmitt at this point.

Author:
Coffee
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Sunday, December 01, 08:12:33pm

I voted for you Jack and I agree that the Dukes did well this year. They should have beat Dayton and played ok against Youngstown State at times. They tied for the lead again and are competitive. With our freshman QB back, I think we can actually go to the playoffs next year after knocking in the door twice.

Author:
Mr Z #1 duke fan
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Monday, December 02, 10:48:53am

Awesome season for the Dukes JUdge 7-4, good to here some positive talk about our team. As I stated back in june I felt the dukes would have a successfull season, And yes as I thought the Defense would be a DOMINANT group (16th ranked D in the entire FCS),with 8 starters coming back , and as it played out our red shirt freshman QB had a ALL NEC honors year as well as 8 other players from the dukes squad, 6 where underclassmen. ONly team with more picks was Sacred heart w/10.Dukes make couple more plays in the SCU game we would have dominated this League!! Next couple years should be exciting, GO DUKES!!!

[> [> Subject: Re: Congratulations Coaches and Dukes

Author:
Judge Jack McVay Jr
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Thursday, December 05, 10:09:42am

Thanks Coffee and MrZ, I do think for the program to really take off there needs to be an increase in the number of scholarships and greater financial assistance from administration and alumni. I would note that I believe football alumni to be some of the most generous donors to the university and are generally excited about the program.A playoff appearance would definitely help increase overall awareness of the "diamond in the rough on the bluff" that is the football program!

Subject: HOORAY

Author:
#1 DUKE FAN
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, November 23, 11:58:18pm

I know it wasn't a pretty season for the Dukes, but come on, give them some credit. They made it to the #1 spot again. Yes, they are sharing it but it wasn't all luck that got them there. They did work for it.

[> Subject: Re: HOORAY

Author:
Mr. BigStuff
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Thursday, November 21, 01:26:08pm

Duke Fan, They didn't make it to the #1 spot..that would be Sacred Heart. They did work for it and that's why Ill start by saying The Dukes do Deserve some credit,they were forced to replace players that have carried them over the past few years and players stepped in and certainly shined at times. It was a fine line between a very successful season and a mediocre one and I use that word because that is what it was, wasn't great wasn't awful,just okay.To many turnovers and not enough big plays.Had a chance to make the playoffs at Sacred Heart,laid an egg, literally, scored zero points..in 60 minutes. The issue that I have with this program is when they go on the road;Duquesne is 2-9 in true road games over the past two years which is downright awful and must change.It's not like were going into the Big House with 110,000 strong yelling down on us, it has to be in the preparation or travel methods.I'm glad we had a winning record this year because many thought we were incapable of that but is going 4-2 in a conference where two of the top teams leave and the team that is going to be representing the conference in the playoffs(Sacred Heart 10-2(4-2))lost on their own home field to the last place team (Wagner 2-4 (3-8))really deserving of that much credit? maybe, you tell me..a championship ring? probably not..a win against Monmouth would be a good end to the season but if things go how they have on the road that won't happen...This program could and should compete in the FCS playoffs year in and year out considering all the draws that Duquesne has to recruits as both a University and its location in a rocking city like Pittsburgh....starts with the administration..then the coaches.

[> [> Subject: Re: HOORAY

Author:
412 Express
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Friday, November 22, 08:40:30am

Mr. Stuff: I agree (for the most part). Although, despite the 'mediocre' season, they still earned a share of the title and are deserving of some credit. These kids put forth the time and hard work every day for this team and they deserve it. This team was supposed to do much worse this year-no one gave them a chance. The fact that they finished with a piece of the title is something they can be proud of, they proved everyone wrong. Unfortunately, you're right about the laying of eggs at road games. The same thing happened a few years ago at Albany, with a team that could have/should have went to the playoffs. I'm sure it comes as no surprise but I've heard from a few sources that this will be Jerry's last year. He had a good career at Duquesne, but it is time for a change of leadership. The Dukes need more than just a front office type coach. A more personable, enthusiastic guy that makes you WANT to play for him is the change this team needs to continue to climb the FCS ladder.

The dukes are teeming with young talent. It's the perfect time to bring in another HC, and hopefully OC. If the administration can put in the time to find a good coach, the long overdue playoff trip could be a reality very soon.

[> [> [> Subject: Re: HOORAY

Author:
Real Dukes fan
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, November 23, 11:58:18pm

Are you clowns serious? This is FCS football for a small school that has a 3,000 seat stadium and virtually no marketing department to promote the product. Not to mention the academic standards and financial commitments it takes to attend Duquesne?

This was a great season considering all the games starters missed due to injury. Do you have any idea how difficult it is to win a conference championship? I highly doubt it. Maybe you should just go root for RMU?

Great season Dukes!

Subject: Sophomore (academically) Class

Author:
Duke Fan
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Friday, November 22, 09:32:54am

412 Express touched upon the team having such young talent and I thought I would expand on that a little to add some more excitement for future years. The class that was brought in the previous year (2012- RS/FR and Soph) in my eyes have been the best class since Duquesne initially started offering scholarships.

In 2008 the team welcomed- McCoy, Patterson, Dunn, Passodelis, Dixon, Sutton, Leventry, Richert, Oliver, Roorback, Spragg, and so on.

In 2012- Buechel, Kuntz, Martello, Quintana, Reed, Zidian, Rahming, Graham, and so on.

I would like to say I do not take anything away from the classes in between as they have all been great players and contributed to the team. However, to me it seems this class has had the impact like the 2008 group of coming in immediately and carrying the team within the first year or two.

Subject: BIG GAME today!

Author:
The Face
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, November 09, 08:35:27am

BIG GAME against Sacred Heart! Can the Dukes stop Spence the way they did Harbridge while they still have to respect the pass (unlike against SFU)? I think that's a big part of what this game will turn on - though with SHU's opportunistic defense, I worry again about turnovers. My heart says Dukes, but this may well be the best team we've played since YSU.

Here's some stuff about the game today.

http://wewearthering.com/2013/11/09/shu-gameday-hub/

[> Subject: Re: BIG GAME today!

Author:
412 Express
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Tuesday, November 12, 08:26:16am

Another 'must win game' we let slip. I can't say after watching that I felt we were outskilled on either side of the ball. Not the first time this has happened unfortunately.

Subject: Wheres the Excitement?

Author:
DuqFan
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Monday, October 28, 11:13:30am

The Dukes are 4-2 and 2-0 in the conference and nobody seems to be excited. I know i am, i cant be alone... Right guys? Lets get this forum picked up

[> Subject: Re: Wheres the Excitement?

Author:
#1DUKE FAN
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Thursday, October 24, 05:07:36pm

It's exciting to see them moving forward. Always seems to be work to do but forward progress is better than none!! Keep it up Dukes!

[> [> Subject: Re: Wheres the Excitement?

Author:
Pa express
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Monday, October 28, 11:13:30am

Sounds like another defensive disaster vs Bryant occurred, looks like we could not stop the run and everything else. When the d-backs lead the team in tackles, that is a problem. Did Lb kuntz play, zero tackles noted ?

Author:
TheFace
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Thursday, October 24, 09:31:45pm

I'm excited, cautiously. The WLU game looked ugly. But the last two games have been a lot of fun, especially Wagner. Bryant is going to be interesting; they're not going to be as hard with their diminished running game.

Some more info here.

http://wewearthering.com/2013/10/24/bryant-bulldogs-preview/

Author:
412 Express
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Monday, October 28, 10:43:16am

I was reserving my excitement until this game concluded. Bad games are going to happen, it seems every year the Dukes give one away...

NEC is wide open this year, the season is far from lost.

Subject: Dukes beat Wagner!

Author:
The Face
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, October 12, 05:56:39pm

http://wewearthering.com/2013/10/12/dukes-34-seahawks-7/

Subject: The Dukes win, but they struggle along the way.

Author:
TheFace
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, October 05, 04:27:36pm

http://wewearthering.com/2013/10/05/dukes-win-struggle/

Ouch. Some problems and times that they just looked confused. I'll take the win but this won't work next week.

Subject: Scheduling for money

Author:
Showy
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Wednesday, September 25, 06:43:32pm

I am still sticking with my original 3-8 it's just stupidity to schedule these teams when you don't have a year round program. School gets the cash the boys take a whipping.

[> Subject: Re: Scheduling for money

Author:
Pa express
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Sunday, September 22, 08:15:37am

The Dukes were actually in the game until something went wrong with the defense in the 3rd quarter. We again are giving up so much yardage and big plays, got beat so many times deep, who is coaching the d backs?

[> [> Subject: Re: Scheduling for money

Author:
TheFace
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Sunday, September 22, 07:29:04pm

When your offense can't stay on the field, the D is going to wear down. You want a culprit, look at the run game and the OL blocking. TOP through three quarters was in YSU's favor by about 12 minutes.

[> Subject: Re: Scheduling for money

Author:
Coffee
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Sunday, September 22, 09:31:45pm

Duquesne should schedule at least one game like this a year. Not only for the bucks but it is a no lose situation. They don't expect a win but if they do pull off an upset, it is memorable. You play the best and you learn from them.

Author:
412 Express
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Monday, September 23, 09:14:26am

Coffee is right. On the flipside, playing teams like West Liberty is a no-win situation. A win is expected, if you lose, you just got beat by a D2 team.

To attract recruits we need to continue to play bigger teams in bigger venues. As we all know, Rooney Field isn't exactly the big house.

YSU beat us up in the trenches. 59 points is a lot to give up.

[> [> [> Subject: Re: Scheduling for money

Author:
TheFace
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Wednesday, September 25, 06:43:32pm

@412 - 24 of those points came when the defense was backed up against a short field, and another 7 was Mitchell's pick six at garbage time. So it isn't as bad as all that as far as the defense goes. But the offense has issues, mostly the line and RBs.

Author:
TheFace
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Tuesday, September 24, 12:15:00am

Couldn't agree more, Coffee, and we talk about the same thing on the new episode of the podcast. You want to be good, you must associate yourself with others who are good. Duquesne isn't going to learn to play at the level of a high FCS team by going the SHU route and playing Lincoln and Chowan.

Subject: Nate Stone commits

Author:
Face
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Tuesday, September 10, 10:51:18pm

Great pickup for the Dukes... this is a very good linebacker, among the best in the WPIAL.

http://wewearthering.com/2013/09/10/nate-stone-lb-greensburg-central-catholic-commits/

Subject: Dayton game

Author:
Paexpress
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Tuesday, September 10, 08:04:52pm

The dukes controlled the first half, but the second half play calling was of concern and I think our young QB had some challenges. Would hope this is addressed and on defense we need to a better job vs. the run if we have any chance with Youngstown State.

[> Subject: Re: Dayton game

Author:
Coffee
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Sunday, September 08, 08:54:59am

The game hinged on two mistakes. Either one would have saved the game. First, a punter needs to be taught when to take a safety when the ball is mishandled in front of the goal line- DO NOT TRY TO FALL ON IT INSIDE THE FIVE YARD LINE..

The other, when the ball is stripped in the red zone from your own player, DO NOT TRY TO BE THE HERO AND SCOOP IT UP.... FALL ON IT TO KEEP THE SCORE.

This can and should hve been coached to the players.

[> [> Subject: Re: Dayton game

Author:
Always a Duke
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Sunday, September 08, 04:03:31pm

I think the players have responsibility to know these things. I'm not why you're so sure that the Dukes' coaches didn't instruct both players. It's not as if the both players started playing football last year. I'm sure their high school coaches covered these topics as well. Hopefully they will learn from these mistakes.

[> [> [> Subject: Re: Dayton game

Author:
Always a Duke
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Sunday, September 08, 04:10:49pm

Let me correct my typos! Here I go again:

I think the players have a responsibility to know these things. I'm not convinced that the Dukes' coaches didn't instruct both players on how to avoid these errors. It's not as if both players started playing football for the first time last year. I would imagine that their high school coaches covered these topics as well. Hopefully they will learn from these mistakes!

Author:
Duke Nukem
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Sunday, September 08, 08:57:59am

Our young quarterback played just fine. He was let down by the play calling and a special teams coach that did not instruct the punter when to take the safety.

Author:
412 Express
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Monday, September 09, 10:44:06am

Let me preface this by saying I did not see the game.

Looking at the box score, specifically the 2nd half scoring, it suggests the flyers made some halftime adjustments that the Dukes could not answer.

Did anyone see the game? I find it hard to believe we were not the more talented team. What could have happened/not happened at halftime?

[> [> Subject: Re: Dayton game

Author:
Face
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Tuesday, September 10, 08:04:52pm

Dayton's defense adjusted and the Dukes had some questionable playcalls. Front seven were tight on the backs so they couldn't get going except for one long one, and they didn't really mix it up in the passing game at all to establish some breathing room.

Coversely, Bardo was getting free a little too easily, so he maintained his dual threat status... he's a better runner than a passer, but when he can run he's pretty comfortable having to throw. It's only when the run is unavailable that he makes most of his mistakes.

Subject: Way to go Dukes!

Author:
Coffee
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Monday, September 09, 01:35:11pm

Good way to say good bye to Albany and beat a CAA opponent as well! The QB question seems settled!

[> Subject: Re: Way to go Dukes!

Author:
412 Express
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Friday, September 06, 07:48:52am

What a start! If we can keep this ball rolling without a hiccup against Dayton and head into the bye week 2-0...watch out penguins!

A victory in Y-town would raise some eyebrows and give the Dukes some overdue recognition throughout the FCS.

I knew the QB battle would be fierce, but I also had a feeling the young gun would emerge. I'm not sure how strong Albany's D-line was but a pro-style QB with that statline, it sounds like the O-Line did a good job protecting him. Ryan Ho is a great back, and with a talented group of receivers-the offense looks potent. My concern is the defense. Hopefully coach Opfar can squeeze as much out of the young guys as possible.

[> Subject: Re: Way to go Dukes!

Author:
Always a Duke
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Monday, September 09, 01:35:11pm

Perhaps it's good-bye to Albany when playing at Rooney Field. However, the Dukes are scheduled to play at Albany in 2015. The Dukes will also renew their series with Bucknell starting in 2015.

In 2014 the Dukes will play at Youngstown State and at Bufalo, an NCAA FBS team. It appears that the perviously scheduled game at Georgia Southern will be dropped from the 2014 schedule.

Subject: Duke's Defense

Author:
Coffee
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, September 07, 08:44:17am

My only concern from last week is the Dukes defense against longer passes downfield. If Dayton watches some Albany game film they'd see some success against the secondary. Can Dayton throw deep?

[> Subject: Re: Duke's Defense

Author:
Judge Jack McVay Jr
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, September 07, 11:58:02am

Hey Coffee, I don't think that good Q is still there from Dayton but I don't know.Deep ball was a concern against Albany but what I think I saw was safety making wrong read as opposed to a lack of speed or ability to cover and I am therefore optimistic that it can be corrected. There are talented players on D too!Go Dukes!

Subject: THE BLOG IS BACK

Author:
Coffee
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Monday, September 02, 10:26:53am

As the song goes, "We'll get by with a little help from my friends". If somebody can do the pre-game scouting article and some features, I'll try to put together a game wrap-up with tying in some contributions.

I have a good feeling about this new QB, his receivers, the linebackers and kicker. The secondary should have been better vs. Albany with who we have returning and addition from a BCS team but the effort was great overall.

[> Subject: Re: THE BLOG IS BACK

Author:
Judge Jack McVay Jr
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Wednesday, September 04, 10:18:14am

Thanks Coffee, I agree with your assessment and as I said in my last post,top notch Q and receivers!Punter had a great game too and the defense showed promise and will be better with experience and Coach Opfar! Two tough road games for sure but impressive win!

Subject: Big Time Ball

Author:
Duke Nukem
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Monday, September 02, 09:23:24am

The Dukes ain't just some second rate team here in the Burgh. They just beat Albany, now in the same conference with William and Mary. William and Mary just gave West Virginia all they could handle. The Dukes also play against Youngstown state this year, a team that punched Pitt in the mouth 31-17.

The FCS has handed the BCS teams quite a few losses in the opening week.

[> Subject: Re: Big Time Ball

Author:
Coffee
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Monday, September 02, 09:12:11am

I hear you Mr. Nukem- Here is a great article to back up your point- http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/F/FBC_FCS_UPSETS?SITE=PAPIT&SECTION=SPORTS&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT .

Duquesne really should be in on the gravy train and schedule a BCS school as well!

[> [> Subject: Re: Big Time Ball

Author:
Marquis
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Monday, September 02, 09:23:24am

Do doubt the Dukes should schedule bigger for a game each season. This is why we scheduled Youngstown State with no return trip.

If we don't embarrass ourselves maybe we can do a BCS team.. I heard we were talking to Akron.

The Zips would be a great BCS team to start with since we were ever ranked ahead of them in the RPI last year and we may actually have a good chance at winning.

Subject: HELP WANTED FOR THE DUKE'S BLOG

Author:
Coffee
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Monday, September 02, 09:17:39am

I'd like to get the Blog back in service but can't commit the hours it takes to keep writing. I tried to do at least one pre-game and one post game article per week. Coach L has already expressed an interest.

I'd be able to move from writer to editor if I can get some help. The Albany game deserves a good article.

Please send my submissions to coffee@goduquesne.com

Together, we can make the Blog and Forum better than ever!

[> Subject: Re: HELP WANTED FOR THE DUKE'S BLOG

Author:
CoachL
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Sunday, September 01, 11:42:52pm

Coffee,

You haven't heard from me in awhile, largely because of the time that I commit to my High School team. For example, today I spent a good portion of the day breaking down our upcoming opponent's film in preparation for our game next Friday.

I even missed the entire first half of the Albany game yesterday because I was reviewing our game film from last Friday night. And of course, Labor Day is Practice Day for my team. (However, I DID squeeze in a date on Saturday night.)

I'll contribute what I can, but it is much more difficult since I live out here in Cal Poly territory! - (There was a FABULOUS sunset over the Pacific Ocean this evening.)

GO DUKES!

[> [> Subject: Re: HELP WANTED FOR THE DUKE'S BLOG

Author:
Coffee
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Monday, September 02, 09:17:39am

Thanks Coach L. I've written most road stories just from the radio broadcast so I know what you mean re: being out of town. I'll trade you places- a Dukes game for that sunset some day!

Thanks for the offer- Maybe if someone can commit to the pre-game article/analysis and someone else the wrap-up with others filling in with both and some features? The fan base is out there. We averaged in the thousands of hits some weeks.

Subject: 2013

Author:
The Dude
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Tuesday, August 27, 02:23:37pm

Any predictions on the upcoming season? Top playmakers? Starting quarterback? Who replaces McCoy? Win Loss Record? Freshman or young guys that will step up?

[> Subject: Re: 2013

Author:
Showy
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Sunday, July 28, 12:59:13am

I just see a 3-8 season impossible to replace McCoy/patterson duo will go down as arguably the best qb/Rb duo in our history. It is going to take a lot of others to step-up. A lot of yards to replace and experience.

[> [> Subject: Re: 2013

Author:
412 Express
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Monday, July 29, 09:38:44am

Patterson/McCoy are irreplaceable. However, i'm excited to see what marty/dillon can do as a pro-style QB. Patterson was a great athlete and made a lot of big plays, but IMO you need a true QB to stand tall and make the reads to go from being GOOD to GREAT. Not slighting the success the past few years but I thought we could/should have done more.

I think what it boils down to is can Shmitt and the staff get the new guys to work together and create a rhythm during camp. The talent is there, never a shortage of that. Marty has been around for awhile and I think will be comfortable with the offense and his targets. I know nothing about the WVU transfer but if he committed there he clearly has the talent/upside. Hopefully someone can make it to camp one day and give us a scouting report.

My pre-season prediction: 5-6 - Will show spurts of dominance, but the lack of team chemistry, and lack of a dominant O-line/D-line will prove costly.

[> [> [> Subject: Re: 2013

Author:
Shoey
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Monday, July 29, 07:32:14pm

412- Those two made so many plays on their own I think we are going to miss them more than we think. Many times Larry bounced out on his own, Sean ran for his life making plays. I am sure they both would of liked to have been more pro style run through open holes and stand back and read defenses. They made up for some poor o/l play this past year we were too small. I hope I am wrong but I gave it 3-8 and my original was 2-9. Go Dukes. Rebuilding year

Author:
Judge Jack McVay Jr
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Thursday, August 22, 06:29:49pm

Hello everyone! I went to camp last Friday and liked what I saw! It was a crisp well organized well coached practice by Coach Schmit on both sides of the ball and team! Particularly, I liked the freshman quarterback s passing and we know he is smart as a Pharmacy major as I was haha! Also there are a number of talented receivers and a big OL from Hawaii! Coach Dunn will use his talent well I believe!Defensivelly they will be strong with D Bell and well coached by Coach Opfar! It is time to retain this staff who do virtually everything right with this program

[> [> Subject: Re: 2013

Author:
Showy
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Monday, August 26, 11:44:10pm

Virtually everything right with this program? Wow I sense a little disconnect from reality. I like the optimism whether its warranted or not.

[> [> [> Subject: Re: 2013

Author:
Judge Jack McVay Jr
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Tuesday, August 27, 02:23:37pm

Showy, as always thanks for contributing and it is not the first time I have been accused of reality disconnect as I have been predicting Pirate playoffs for the last twenty years! Haha, seriously though I do believe the coaching staff is doing an excellent job given the available scholarships and recruiting challenges, by bringing in the highest level of talent that I have ever seen in my many years of observations,kids who perform both on the field and not insignificantly in the classroom.I think Coach Rosato deserves alot of credit for his recruiting and administrative efforts and while I did not mean to imply that the program does not have lots of room for improvement, I remain optimistic that this staff will coach this young team up to a winning season and should be retained!PS I am sending in my Pirate playoff ticket money this week! :)

Author:
paexpress
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Tuesday, August 27, 11:50:33am

Prediction 4-7, new young QB, loss of McCoy and loss of experienced LB's are major concern. Last year for current coaching staff if they cannnot get back to top of conference and winning record.

Subject: Camp

Author:
paexpress
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Wednesday, August 21, 02:14:29pm

Anyone been out to watch camp? How does the defense look and the QB battle?

[> Subject: Re: Camp

Author:
412 Express
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Monday, August 19, 10:14:29am

I made it out to a practice last week, directing most of my attention to the QB battle. From my observation, and to my surprise, it looks like the young buck has it all wrapped up. At first glance he looks very thin and fragile, but his QB mechanics and throws are very good. I'm comfortable with this kid behind center for the next 4 years.

As for the wvu transfer, I think he'll be a bigtime receiver in the years to come and look to see him used early and often, maybe in some different packages and looks.

Didn't get a chance to really observe the defense, but the day I was there the offense was moving the ball well.

Anyone else have any observations?

[> Subject: Re: Camp

Author:
#1DUFan
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Wednesday, August 21, 02:14:29pm

I'm out of state and would love to know how camp is going? How do the boys look?

Subject: Dukes are loaded at QB again

Author:
Coffee
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Thursday, July 25, 10:30:26pm

See Trib article for details- http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/duquesne/east-xtra-gateway-graduate-earns-preseason-honors-at-duquesne-695857/

[> Subject: Re: Dukes are loaded at QB again

Author:
Duke Nukem
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Friday, July 26, 01:43:07pm

Also- http://www.goduquesne.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/072613aab.html

Subject: CONGRATS TO DORIAN!!!

Author:
Coffee
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Thursday, July 25, 06:33:09pm

This would be a major win for Dorian and the program. I predict thathHe may be the first to go in the draft.

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/duquesne/east-xtra-gateway-graduate-earns-preseason-honors-at-duquesne-695857/

Archives: 12345678910 ]

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a new public message:
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
* Message subject (required):

* Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Choose Message Icon: [ View Emoticons ]

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

DUE TO TECHNICAL ISSUES, I LOST MOST OF THE LINKS, PICTURES AND OTHER FEATURES FOR THIS FORUM. MY APOLOGIES TO THOSE WHO I SENT TRAFFIC TO IN THE PAST. THIS WILL TAKE SOME TIME TO RE-BUILD. PLEASE REFER TO THE LINKS STILL FEATURED IN THE BLOG- Coffee
[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2012 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.