VoyForums
GIVE FREE FOOD
www.TheHungerSite.com
-> Click Here <-
Fund Free Mammograms with a Click
www.TheBreastCancerSite.com
-> Click Here <-
Non-profit ad served by VoyForums...

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 123456[7]8910 ]

DUQUESNE DUKES FOOTBALL FORUM
~DUQUESNE DUKES FOOTBALL FORUM~
This forum is for discussion of Duquesne Football since other excellent Duquesne Basketball forums exist. (Links below). It is also open to all Duquesne sponsored or club sports.Duquesne sponsors: Basketball (M/W), Cross Country (M/W), Football, Soccer (M/W), Swimming (W), Tennis (M/W), Track and Field (M/W), LaCrosse (W), Crew (W), Volleyball (W). Club Sports include Ice Hockey and Men's Crew. Some posts on this Forum may be re-posted on the Duquesne Football Blog (See Duquesnesports.blogspot.com). This is a discussionforum where you are a guest. Treat others as you would like to be treated. No foul language, using another's moniker or personal attacks. Character on the field and on this forum reflects upon Duquesne. Links to this site are encouraged. Feedback is welcome. -Coffee

~OTHER DUQUESNE LINKS~

*COFFEE'S DUQUESNE FOOTBALL BLOG*
*OFFICIAL Northeast Conference Football SITE*
*The Sports Network FCS Page*
*USA Today Sagarin Division I College Football Rankings*
*Real Time RPI Division 1 College Football Rankings*
*College Football Data Warehouse*
*ESPN Radio Northeast Conference Notebook*

Subject: RPI FCS Ratings as of October 3, 2011

Author:
Coffee
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Monday, October 03, 10:18:26pm

1 Georgia Southern
2 North Dakota St
3 Wofford
4 New Hampshire
5 James Madison
6 Northern Iowa
7 Montana St.
8 Lehigh
9 Sam Houston St.
10 Jacksonville St.
11 Appalachian St.
12 McNeese St.
13 Delaware
14 Indiana St.
15 William & Mary
16 Richmond
17 Montana
18 Tennessee Tech
19 Coastal Carolina
20 Duquesne
21 South Dakota
22 Chattanooga
23 North Dakota
24 Old Dominion
25 Southern Ill.

AAD- Check this out- The RPI ranks us at #131 overall D-1 and #20 in the FCS

Last edited by author: Monday, October 03, 10:18:26pm   Edited 1 time.
[ Post a Reply to This Message ]

Subject: Judge Jack and Always a Duke

Author:
Coffee
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Sunday, October 02, 10:13:34pm

Did either of you hear from RMU or Duquesne Admins.about the "Coaching Legends" Trophy? I can drop it off to get the plaque changed if we are going to try again.

[> Subject: Re: Judge Jack and Always a Duke

Author:
Judge Jack McVay Jr
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Sunday, October 02, 08:33:59pm

Hey Coffee, AAD,Shaler Tom,DFWB,CoachL, Alex,et.al.,!...What a great football game as the Dukes came from behind twice! AAD' s prediction came true and I still think he might be talking to General Petraeus himself at CIA!ALWAYS nice to see AAD! Shaler Tom nailed it I think in that the throwback clad "Iron Dukes" beat a good football team yesterday in Bryant and they did play with Maine!It was thrilling to see the kids pulling at their jersies on the way out of the locker room as they charged passed us "rusty Iron Dukes"! I did follow up twice with my RMU contact and was told there was some interest in a trophy but nothing has been confirmed, and I am not necessarily optimistic on the matter, at least not nearly as optimistic about this team and the programs future prospects!Jack

[> [> Subject: Re: Judge Jack and Always a Duke

Author:
Coffee
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Sunday, October 02, 10:13:34pm

What do you think they would say if we just asked to award the trophy and a check to the scholarship fund on behalf of the committee? They don't really have to own or sponsor it in any way.

Subject: So why was this game so close? Bit From the Blog

Author:
Coffee
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Sunday, October 02, 11:14:19am

Much like Duquesne’s only loss of the young season by a single point to Bucknell, the Dukes seemed to outplay the opposition and led in the statistical categories. The closeness of either game can’t be blamed upon individual effort.

Offensively, Duquesne had plenty of heroes. The best example would be the pure guts shown by Larry McCoy to grind out a very hard earned 153 yards and a touchdown against a determined Bryant defense. These yards weren’t ripped off in chunks as they were the week before. Of the five receptions thrown at Conner Dixon three went for touchdowns. This man proved again that he can find the end zone. Sean Patterson didn't have the game he had the week before but he certainly didn’t play badly with over 200 total yards passing and running on a sloppy day. One interception was the ricochet type that bounced off the receiver and the other can be forgiven.

The Duquesne Defense had a number of standouts too. Horvin Latimer and Khiry Carter had 8 stops with Mike Passodelis and newly activated Dorian Bell right behind with 7 and 6 respectively. Collectively, the Dukes had 6 stops in the backfield and three sacks.

Nor can this game’s closeness be attributed to the special teams. Charlie Leventry showed again that the faithful should relax. Hitting on all field goal and PAT attempts and producing a healthy 41.2 yard punting average. He has shown that he can kick under pressure and in the rain as well.

This was just a good back and forth came where the Bulldogs lived up to their nicknames and somehow refused to let the Dukes pull away until Richie Piekarski’s interception with about two minutes left in the game. Every time the Dukes took a lead, Bryant seemed to have an answer with 5 lead changes during the game.

How do the cliques go? You have to "put the final nail in the coffin", "put your foot on their throat", "finish them off", "put them away", "close the door", "Don't let them hang around" etc., etc. The Dukes let this team hang around but this time pulled it out at the end. This is a great team with tons of potential to go very far if it learns to "slam that lid".

Read the Rest on the Blog or at the Rivals Site- Links above.

Last edited by author: Sunday, October 02, 09:12:55am   Edited 3 times.

[> Subject: Re: So why was this game so close? Bit From the Blog

Author:
DukeFan
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Sunday, October 02, 10:35:23am

Awesome effort in the game yesterday! The weather was horrendous, but our DUKES stayed focused and minimized mistakes. Congratulations to the Coaches and the boys!

[> Subject: Re: So why was this game so close? Bit From the Blog

Author:
Shaler Tom
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Sunday, October 02, 10:55:33am

I think the weather played a role in the Duke's not being able to put the Bulldogs away. The field was a little tricky, the wind and the rain were formidable and the play calling as a result was conservative. I saw Dixon and Spragg both slip on their routes, Patterson had some trouble with his grip and Leventry muffed a snap that fortunately worked out for us. Play this game on a clear, calm autumn afternoon and this game wouldn't have been that close.

Also, don't forget that Bryant is a pretty darn good football team. They only lost to Maine by a couple of scores....the same Maine team that yesterday beat
#5 Delaware and earlier almost upset Pitt. Bryant is primarily a big, strong, running team that wants to control the clock and push you around. Yesterday's conditions were an advantage to them.

That said, the Duke's did what they had to do. Defensively, they were very tough, holding Jordan Brown to less than 4 yrds a carry. Turnovers resulted in two of the Bulldog's TDs and a third was a 70 yard pass when our DB slipped on the wet turf.

Offensively it wasn't pretty but we moved the ball quite well given the conditions. Larry McCoy took a pounding yesterday and still gained over 150 yds, and I loved the pass to Brian Layhue over the middle. We need to see more of that. But it was the awesome display of Connor Dixon that wowed me. The kid has 8 TDs now in 5 games. He was denied a 4th TD yesterday when a Bryant DB mugged him in the endzone for pass interference setting up McCoy's TD. Defenses just can't stop this guy. The first TD was one of the finest catches I've EVER seen. He turns the DB completely around, adjusts to a poor throw, has his jersey almost torn of him by a beaten cornerback and makes the catch of a wet ball. Incredible!

Charlie Leventry avg over 40 yrds a punt and put 4-5 inside the twenty. A great performance on a terrible day.

So friends, I think this team came together yesterday and refused to lose. Confidence is building and should continue next week in Albany. One last thing....I hadn't seen Dorian Bell since he played at Gateway. Damn, is he put together or what???

[> [> Subject: Re: So why was this game so close? Bit From the Blog

Author:
Coffee
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Sunday, October 02, 11:14:19am

I didn't mean to sound negative and the Dukes did win an exciting game. If I were coach I'd be VERY pleased but still would realize that this team can take it to an even higher level. This could be the best team the Dukes have had in a long time.

Last edited by author: Sunday, October 02, 11:22:34am   Edited 1 time.

Subject: Bryant Game Thread

Author:
Coffee
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, October 01, 10:53:17pm

BRYANT GOES AHEAD IN THE 3RD 21-17Not good- Momentum has shifted. Ball is bouncing the other way. Offense needs to take control.

Duquesne winning the stat battle but they can't take control.

Last edited by author: Saturday, October 01, 10:53:17pm   Edited 4 times.

[> Subject: DUKES WIN 31-28

Author:
Marquis
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, October 01, 03:58:16pm

Much closer than I thought it Would be BUT A WIN IS A WIN!! Bryant played tough.

[> [> Subject: Re: DUKES WIN 31-28

Author:
CoachL
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, October 01, 04:10:14pm

Congratulations Dukes!!!

[> [> Subject: Re: DUKES WIN 31-28

Author:
Fr. Straub
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, October 01, 04:18:32pm

The most improved and valuable player of this game was the most unnoticed. Without Charlie Leventry's consistency, this game could have been lost. I was worried when we lost... what's his name now???

Subject: I wish I could see this game

Author:
CoachL
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, October 01, 02:24:50pm

I'm so disappointed. The video feed of today's game is a no-show. :-(

Fortunately, Alex and crew are supplying the usual wonderful audio call.

Dukes up 17-7 at the half.

GO DUKES!

Subject: Dorian Bell is Playing

Author:
Coffee
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, October 01, 01:49:01pm

He seems to be splitting time with Dozie. I hope they can find a way to keep them BOTH on the field.

DUKES UP 10-0 AT END OF THE 1ST.

Subject: Guess what we run on first down with McCoy

Author:
Shoey
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, October 01, 01:38:34pm

Every possession first play handoff to Mccoy first quarter. Come on switch it up once in awhile

Subject: Predictions for Saturday's game against Bryant University

Author:
Always a Duke
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Friday, September 30, 11:34:27pm

Here's a prediction from Sean Sapiro, FCS Assistant, with Sports Network.com on the game:

Bryant Bulldogs (3-1, 2-0 NEC) at Duquesne Dukes (3-1, 1-0 NEC), 1 p.m.

Series record: Bryant leads, 2-1

Last meeting: Duquesne 37, at Bryant 29 (Nov. 20, 2010)

What to know: The Dukes have been stuffing the stat sheet this season, as they're ranked fourth in the FCS in both total offense (493.8 ypg) and total defense (255.5 ypg).

The Northeast Conference's best running backs will go head-to-head this weekend, as the Dukes' Larry McCoy (135.5 ypg) and the Bulldogs' Jordan Brown (149.75 ypg) should each have productive days on the ground.

Bryant has quarterback Mike Croce back at full strength after a preseason injury. Last week against Wagner, the senior threw for 245 yards and a pair of touchdowns. He could continue to progress against the Dukes.

Prediction: Bryant 27, Duquesne 23

MY PREDICTION is the DUKES 31, BRYANT 17

Bryant's QB will not be as successful tomorrow afternoon as he was against Wagner. Sean Patterson will have a big day and RB Larry McCoy will out gain the Bulldogs' RB Jordan Brown. The Dukes will deliver a win for the Homecoming crowd!

[> Subject: Re: Predictions for Saturday's game against Bryant University

Author:
Judge jack mcVay Jr
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Friday, September 30, 05:03:52pm

AAD! Hope you are right! Have you checked with your insiders at the feds?

[> [> Subject: Re: Predictions for Saturday's game against Bryant University

Author:
Coffee
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Friday, September 30, 11:34:27pm

There is still no official word on whether Dorian Bell will be allowed to play vs. Bryant even though there have been numerous signals that he would be available. The coaching staff may be downplaying his entry.

The Dukes are at the top on both sides iof the ball so far this season, ranking fourth in the FCS in both total offense (493.8 ypg) and total defense (255.5 ypg).

Bryant senior quarterback Mike Croce has fully recovered after a preseason injury. Last week against Wagner, he for 245 yards and two touchdowns.

Prediction: Duquesne's D holds another premier back under 100 as the balanced offense does its job again.

Duquesne 27 Bryant 19

Subject: Player and Supporter reunion

Author:
Judge Jack McVay Jr
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Friday, September 30, 11:03:59pm

Hey all! Tonight from Cupka s I thought was at least the actual taping of the show and certainly the reunion is tonight! Hope to see evryone this weekend! Jack

[> Subject: Re: Player and Supporter reunion

Author:
Judge Jack McVay Jr
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Friday, September 30, 05:06:05pm

Hello again, Just received confirmation from Coach McCann that the show is tonight from Cupka s Two at 7pm! Hope to see Duke From Way Back and all others there! Jack

[> [> Subject: Re: Player and Supporter reunion

Author:
Always a Duke
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Friday, September 30, 11:03:59pm

Hey, Judge Jack, I was unable to make it to Cupka's tonight. Did the issue of Dorian Bell's eligibility for tomorrow's game come up? My sources - and they are pretty good - tell me that the NCAA did indeed grant Mr Bell the OK to play this Saturday; however, I would have thought that Duquesne would have made such an announcement on its website. Nothing yet.

As for my prediction on the outcome of tomorrow's game, I confess that I am solely responsible for its contents. I did not rely on any of may old federal contacts, and wouldn't admit to it even if I did.

Subject: Dorian Bell may be Eligible This Week

Author:
Coffee
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Tuesday, September 27, 10:17:20pm

I've heard the same that Always a Duke Reported earlier. Dorian Bell could be able to play vs. Bryant this week. I also heard that he is the real deal and just glides all over the field. Duquesne's linebacking corps will be impressive! They are already 4th in the nation in Total D!!!

Last edited by author: Tuesday, September 27, 10:17:20pm   Edited 2 times.

Subject: Dukes are recognized in latest FCS Coaches Poll

Author:
Always a Duke
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Monday, September 26, 07:56:55pm

Hey, the Dukes are tied for #36 along with Towson and UC Davis and ahead of Eastern Washington, the 2010 FCS Champion.
Click here.

Subject: CONNOR DIXON IS THE MAN IN THE NEC THIS WEEK!

Author:
ALWAYS A DUKE
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Monday, September 26, 02:55:53pm

Click here for NEC's announcement.

Congrats to Connor and his teammates for a fine 3-1 (1-0) start. Bryant, 3-1 (2-0), should make for an excellent opponent for this Saturday's Homecoming game. Be in the stands at Rooney Field for what looks to be a very good NEC match-up. GO DUKES!

Subject: Balance!!!!

Author:
Shoey
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Monday, September 26, 02:07:41am

Talk about a team effort and balance Duquesne is currently ranked nationally FCS #4 offensively and #4 defensively in total offense and total defense.

[> Subject: Re: Balance!!!!

Author:
Ducky
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Sunday, September 25, 01:56:27pm

Speaking of national rankings... If the Dukes had hung on at Bucknell, they'd be getting a few votes this week I'm sure!

The Duqiuesne/Monmouth game looks to be the early game of the year after they beat Villanova and RMU's early losses.

[> [> Subject: Re: Balance!!!!

Author:
Shaler Tom
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Sunday, September 25, 03:04:00pm

Monmouth will be tough. They have a very balanced attack and their QB, Kyle Frazier is extremely efficient. Against CC St. he was 21 for 27.

[> [> [> Subject: Re: Balance!!!!

Author:
Shaler Tom
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Sunday, September 25, 03:09:49pm

I forgot to mention that Bucknell is a much improved team from a year ago. They spanked Princeton yesterday 34-9 and are 3-1. I'd like to play them again though because it would be a different story. The Duke's should get some votes this week.

[> [> Subject: Re: Balance!!!!

Author:
Shoey
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Sunday, September 25, 06:57:28pm

The Bucknell loss may be the best thing that ever happened to this team.

[> [> [> Subject: Re: Balance!!!!

Author:
CoachL
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Monday, September 26, 01:46:53am

Re: "The Bucknell loss may be the best thing that ever happened to this team."

I think you're right, Shoey.

After the loss to Bucknell, I wrote:

"I'm a Line Coach and I was screaming at my computer screen (I watched the video stream.) throughout the entire game. Larry's 100+ yards came IN SPITE OF his offensive line."

I could not see the St. Francis game, and I only watched the Dayton and Valparaiso games on the video streams. From what I've been able to see and what I've heard, it appears that the O-Line has found their cojones.

Mr. McCoy is still a stud, but he hasn't had to do all the work himself in the last three games. The O-Line has been opening holes and protecting Patterson fairly well.

That being said, the schedule just gets tougher from here. I believe that the Bucknell loss just may have been the "brick upside the head" that the Dukes needed.

I'm still a bit concerned with our kickoff coverage, but if that's the only thing I find to be worried about at this point, that must be a VERY good sign!

GO DUKES!

[> Subject: Re: Balance!!!!

Author:
CoachL
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Monday, September 26, 02:07:41am

If anyone wants to track the Dukes in the National and Conference rankings, here is the link to the official NCAA stats:

http://web1.ncaa.org/mfb/mainpage.jsp?year=2011

GO DUKES!

Subject: Dukes Pummel St. Francis 41-14 - Bits from the Blog

Author:
Coffee
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Sunday, September 25, 02:55:41pm

After giving up an early lead to St. Francis, thi game quickly became a highlight reel of big play offense for the Dukes. The stats speak for themselves as Duquesne opened conference play on TV and under the lights by racking up 553 Total yards. They could have had considerably more had they not started taking out their starters in the 3rd quarter.

Even with the show of offensive fire power, the biggest statistic of the night was contributed by the Duquesne defense in holding the nation’s leading Division I rusher Kyle Harbridge to just 76 yards and under 4 yards per carry. Last week Harnridge had a record-setting, 346 yards against Moorhead State. Amazingly, Harbridge wasn’t heavily recruited and had to make the team as a walk-on. Coming into the game he was ahead of South Carolina’s Heisman Trophy candidate Marcus Lattimore with Duquesne’s Larry McCoy in 6th place nationally. Harbridge and Lattimore had been the only backs to pass 500 yards before yesterday’s game.

McCoy joined the 500 Club adding 153 yards to his new total of 542 before being taken out in the 3rd quarter. Opening up a lead took St. Francis out of their offensive game plan to lean on their star running back.

Duquesne showed a very balanced attack with 263 total yards running and 290 yards passing. Sean Patterson personally typified the balance with 290 yards through the air and another 75 rushing yards. This was even without rushing/receiving combo back Bill Bair who was held out of the game. It took Graduate student Conner Dixon only 4 receptions to reach 175 yards and 2 touchdowns. Isaac Spragg added 4 receptions and a TD while TE Brian Layhue pulled in the other touchdown pass of 17 yards. It almost seemed unfair as last minute substitute freshman cornerback Calvin Bane was mercilessly targeted early and often by the Dukes, particularly by Dixon who was more than a half foot taller.

Punter/Kicker Charlie Leventry continues to gain confidence as he gave Duquesne an early 6-0 lead before St. Francis took it’s only lead 7-6 after a muffed punt to give a short field TD. Leventry barely missed a try from 50 yards which would have been the longest recorded field goal for the Dukes. Leventry didn’t have much practice with his other duties. Read the entire article at duesnesports.blogspot.com/

[> Subject: Re: Dukes Pummel St. Francis 41-14 - Bits from the Blog

Author:
Fr. Straub
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Sunday, September 25, 12:07:55pm

Great game Dukes. I really have to hand it to the folks who run St. Francis' program. They offered a fantastic atmosphere. Del Gol Stadium is a great upgrade from the Pine Bowl. For its size, this school runs a great D-I program. This was college football at its best for this level no matter what the score.

[> [> Subject: Re: Dukes Pummel St. Francis 41-14 - Bits from the Blog

Author:
Marquis
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Sunday, September 25, 12:12:40pm

I really hate to sound negative after a great game but compare this headline and article in the Washington Post with what we got from the Trib and the Post Gazette, our home town papers- http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/colleges/patterson-passes-for-4-touchdowns-to-help-duquesne-rout-st-francis-pa-41-14/2011/09/24/gIQAbvKnuK_story.html

[> Subject: Re: Dukes Pummel St. Francis 41-14 - Bits from the Blog

Author:
Shaler Tom
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Sunday, September 25, 12:17:59pm

I made the trip up to Loretto last night. What a beautiful night for football. I was told that it was the largest crowd at DeGol Field and by the way...what a nice field it is. It makes me envious.

Isaac Spragg told me that there was alot of taunting before the game and that the Frankies were talking about another beat-down like 2009. Well....they got one!

The defense was outstanding. Our line had penetration all night long. Our linebackers were like wild dogs in their pursuit of Kyle Harbridge and knocked their QB, John Kelly from the game. Dave Opfar was really into it as he coached the kids up from start to finish. Mike Passodelis was a mountain up front and Oliver, Latimer and Oparanozie seemed to be all over the field. With the addition of Dorian Bell, this group will be very, VERY tough.

Sean Patterson is becoming a very fine QB. In the past, I thought Sean was too quick to pull the ball down and take off with it. This year, he is stepping up in the pocket, buying time and extending plays. His passes are crisp and precise, especially his deep balls to Connor Dixon.

And let me say this about Dixon....I think he is the X-factor on this team. Opposing teams MUST account for him. He is too big and too fast to go man. (the frankies found that out early) If you double him, Larry McCoy will run wild and Spragg, Layhue et al will pick you apart. (the frankies found that out as well)

It was nice to see Charlie connect on a couple of lengthy field goals. His first few kickoffs were short but they got much better as the game wore on.

In the end, it was an impressive win to open the NEC slate.

[> [> Subject: Re: Dukes Pummel St. Francis 41-14 - Bits from the Blog

Author:
Coffee
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Sunday, September 25, 01:37:59pm

Nice Summary Tom. This trip was Western PA's best kept sports secret. I can't imagine a better drive and game. Was there a tailgate area?

[> [> [> Subject: Re: Dukes Pummel St. Francis 41-14 - Bits from the Blog

Author:
Shaler Tom
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Sunday, September 25, 02:55:41pm

Yes there was Coffee. A few nice trailers and plenty of Duke's fans. I have to say that the St. Francis fans are very gracious hosts and had a large student section....something for our kids to emulate.

Subject: Dukes' up against St Francis at end of 1st Q, 20-7

Author:
Always a Duke
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Sunday, September 25, 08:22:56am

Conner Dixon with 2 TDs. The Dukes open 2nd Q with an interception, the 2nd of the game for the Dukes!

GO DUKES!

[> Subject: Re: Dukes' up against St Francis at end of 1st Q, 20-7

Author:
Coffee
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, September 24, 08:01:20pm

They had me worried when they went down 7-6... Thanks for the plug for the Blog and Forum Alex!

[> Subject: Re: Dukes' up against St Francis at end of 1st Q, 20-7

Author:
Always a Duke
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, September 24, 08:09:17pm

Results in the NEC today:

Albany 44
Columbia 21

Sacred Heart 24
Dartmouth 21

Monmouth 24
Cen. Conn. St. 12

Bryant 30
Wagner 28

Two big wins for the NEC against non-conference opponents.

[> [> Subject: Re: Dukes' up against St Francis during the 4th Q 41-14

Author:
Always a Duke
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, September 24, 09:57:08pm

OK, the Red Flash just scored in the 4th Q with 3:25 to go in the game. Just a matter of time before the Dukes are 3-1.

How did the Dukes' previous opponents do this Saturday?

Bucknell (3-1) 34
Princeton (0-2) 9

Dayton (3-1) 17
Central State (0-4) 7

Valpo (0-3) Idle

[> [> [> Subject: Re: Dukes' up against St Francis during the 4th Q 41-14

Author:
Coffee
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Sunday, September 25, 08:22:56am

Valpo was pretty "idle" last week too... It will be great to get Old Dominion and Youngstown State on the schedule. Heck- bring on a lower D-I. How about Akron?

Nice win at Loretto yesterday. I had a bad feeling going in since the Frankies have proved they can play well under the lights at home. I'm glad I was wrong.

Subject: A bit of the St. Francis Article at the Blog

Author:
Coffee
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, September 24, 12:00:44pm

The Duquesne Dukes have played the team from Ft. Francis more often by far than any other team in our football history in a series that began before World War I. According to the College Football data Warehouse, Duquesne won that first game in 1913 by a score of 19-0 and would win all but 6 of the next 37. Duquesne fans seem to have developed a special relationship with the Red Flash (or as we lovingly call them the “Frankies”) almost akin to them being our little brothers. We root for them to win every game they play except, of course, when they play Duquesne.

But like any good little brother, they aren’t supposed to win when they play big brother. If they do, it can be traumatic to our psyche. It throws our vision of our place in the football universe into a tailspin. As recent as last year, I remember being upset with our family member from St. Francis when they pulled out of playing basketball against Duquesne for taking away for sure a D-I opponent win. It forced us to play a game against a D-II opponent to get the “gimme”.

I can remember thinking that when we last played in Loretto under the lights that this would be a W on our schedule.

I was wrong… hurray for the underdog… little brother finally landed one square on the jaw of their domineering big brother by a score of 31-14. The game wasn’t even that close.

After two years of therapy, I’m finally ok with being blown away at St. Francis. I’ve actually aware of a new found respect for our private catholic school brothers just to the east. In fact, I’m even proud of them to a point that the Dukes now must take them seriously and bring their best or the same thing will happen. This is actually better for both teams. I know that some of the coaching staff are nervous, but with a nervousness that forces the anxiety to be well prepared. Hopefully Duquesne fans will make the very enjoyable and scenic, less than 2 hour drive to see a great game.

Good luck brother… bring your best to this family feud and we hope you win all the other games on your schedule but this one!

The St. Francis game will be televised on PCNC, MSG+ (HD), Fox8 Altoona/Johnstown (HD), ROOT Sports Pittsburgh (tape delay Oct. 3 at 6:00 p.m.)

[> Subject: Re: A bit of the St. Francis Article at the Blog

Author:
Shaler Tom
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, September 24, 10:00:39am

Well said Coffee. That night in the cold rain two years ago still makes me numb. The Dukes, so confident at the beginning of the season were in the middle of a four game losing streak and that one was the worst.

St. Francis returns alot of starters from a year ago including Kyle Harbridge who ran for 345 yrds last week against Morehead St. Their defense lost all of their starting LBs but return all of their linemen.

The Dukes will need to show alot of pride tonight if they want to avoid a repeat of 2009.

[> [> Subject: Re: A bit of the St. Francis Article at the Blog

Author:
Marquis
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, September 24, 12:00:44pm

I agree. I'm glad the game is seen as being competative. I hated the string of games vs. Canisius and the rest. I'd rather play a game against a good St. Francis team than a scrimmage. They showed last week how capable they are by coming back vs. Morehaed State. They are dangerous at home under the lights. I'm impressed with all they do with a smaller student population.

GO DUKES!

Subject: Some things I heard at Dukes' game with Valpo on Saturday afternoon

Author:
Always a Duke
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Thursday, September 22, 08:26:39pm

Here some bits of news about the football team that I picked up recently:

1. Although Duquesne has not made an official announcement yet, the NCAA has ruled that Dorian Bell will be eligible to play for the Dukes after the St. Francis game.

2. Several weeks ago I posted that the Dukes will probably be playing Youngstown State in 2012, in addition to Dayton (H), and Valparaiso (A). Well, the Dukes signed a contract to play Old Dominion (A) of the Colonial Athletic Association next season and will not be playing Youngstown State. So the non-conference schedule for 2012 will consist of OD, Dayton, and Valpo. Note that OD has averaged 19,800 for its first two home games this season. Click here for photos of OD's football stadium which opened in 2009.

3. Duquesne will play Bucknell in 2014 and 2015.

4. Duquesne is close to a deal with Youngstown State.

5. Discussions are going on with Colgate for a home and home series.

6. Look for Maine to apply for football membership in the NEC.

[> Subject: Re: Some things I heard at Dukes' game with Valpo on Saturday afternoon

Author:
CoachL
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Tuesday, September 20, 03:23:01am

Thanks, Always-Full-of-Good-Information!!

GO DUKES!

[> Subject: Re: Some things I heard at Dukes' game with Valpo on Saturday afternoon

Author:
Coffee
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Tuesday, September 20, 09:59:33pm

AAD- You must have worked for the CIA... This is some good intel!

[> [> Subject: Re: Some things I heard at Dukes' game with Valpo on Saturday afternoon

Author:
Judge Jack McVay Jr
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Thursday, September 22, 08:26:39pm

HAHA! Always A Duke does (or at least used to have) connections with the feds :)!! Also, look for Akron ZIPS off in the not so distant horizon if some of these other games prove warranted!Many of us will be returning for homecoming and wearing our throwback jerseys! Look for an exciting day and a Dukes win! Beat the Frankies first!

Subject: Congratulations!

Author:
CoachL
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, September 17, 04:20:25pm

Congratulations to the Dukes on their 49-14 victory over the Crusaders (How's that for a currently politically incorrect mascot?) from Valparaiso!

Onward and upward to the St. Francis Red Flash and the rest of the NEC.

GO DUKES!

[> Subject: Re: Congratulations!

Author:
Coffee
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Sunday, September 18, 09:06:25pm

Sorry there is no article on the Valpo win. I was out of town. I promised my wife a weekend away for her Birthday and somehow didn't think I could get away with staying behind to write fro the blog. I did catch the score but none of the game.

Last edited by author: Sunday, September 18, 09:07:27pm   Edited 1 time.

Subject: You folks are too nice!

Author:
CoachL
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Monday, September 12, 11:49:14pm

Re: "Which brings me to the question: Why doesn't Duquesne have a video arrangement?? Cost: $0 (or very close to $0), and may even make a few bucks for the program. Plus, it would be great experience for some student audio/video people."

Duquesne DOES have a video arrangement. The Valparaiso game is being streamed, and I (now!) remember watching video streams of games last year.

D'oh!

[> Subject: Re: You folks are too nice!

Author:
CoachL
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, September 17, 04:19:06pm

Too bad the video of today's game had no audio. :-(

I listened to the radio stream online, but the time difference between the audio stream and the video stream was HUGE!

Oh well...

Great game anyway.

GO DUKES!

Subject: Congratulations to Charlie Leventry and Sean Patterson

Author:
Shoey
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Monday, September 12, 05:09:36pm

Congrats to both of these young men and their teammates that supported them. Leventry special teams player of the week and Patterson offensive player of the week in the NEC!!!!

[> Subject: Re: Congratulations to Charlie Leventry and Sean Patterson

Author:
Coffee
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Monday, September 12, 08:58:23pm

I'll be the first one to admit that I was really afraid when Eric D. left after his great season last year. I was so glad to see Charlie boot a 40 yard FG and a 60+ yard punt. It seems that the kid had the talent and just needed the confidence and hard work to make it happen.

Subject: LET US OFFER OUR HONOR, THANKS AND PRAYERS...

Author:
Coffee
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Sunday, September 11, 01:32:49pm

...to all those who have given their lives and of their lives.

Subject: Great Win today!

Author:
Marquis
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Sunday, September 11, 11:00:08am

The Dukes showed how much they wanted this game. It is extremely tough to win at Dayton.

[> Subject: Re: Great Win today!

Author:
CoachL
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, September 10, 04:53:34pm

I'm happy for the team and their win today, but...

The Dukes kept on giving the Flyers opportunity after opportunity and the Flyers squandered most of them.

Yes, tough defensive play by the Dukes caused many of the problems that the Flyers had on offense, but many of Dayton's mistakes were simple, unforced errors.

We can't count on future opponents being so sloppy.

Well, Valparaiso might be, but you get my point.

GO DUKES!

[> Subject: Re: Great Win today!

Author:
Shaler Tom
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, September 10, 05:01:21pm

A game that we had to have. The boys stood tall and pulled it out, but friends....I am troubled. The offensive play calling in my humble opinion has been terrible. Way too conservative for my taste and played into the hands of both Bucknell and Dayton.
THROW ON FIRST DOWN...at least once in awhile. The Dukes have the finest stable of receivers in the NEC but you would never know it. Open it up!!!!
I thought the defense was outstanding. Except for a couple hiccups, they looked fine.

[> [> Subject: Re: Great Win today!

Author:
Shoey
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, September 10, 08:58:50pm

TS- Couldnt agree more........today we really came through on third and long but that is asking way too much from the offense. I think new O/C is learning what these guys can do. I liked the use of Billy Bair today.......Larry needs a break now and then. If we can get Akeem Moore going along with Dixon,Sprague and Co. we really will have something. Patterson is just a gutsy player. Our Defense was more active today than at Bucknell. I think this win was big mentally after last week. But again......we need to open it up a little on first down.

[> [> [> Subject: Re: Great Win today!

Author:
Coffee
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Sunday, September 11, 11:00:08am

I thought that this was one of the best FCS games I've seen since the last Dayton game. We really should be in the same conference with these guys. This is becoming a real classic series. See Blog article at http://duquesnesports.blogspot.com/

Subject: Very nice video streaming from Dayton!

Author:
Marquis
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, September 10, 04:46:57pm

Its nice to see a very fine video feed from Dayton. Dayton does these things well. Their filed looks great and they have a large band even though they look like they are wearing fishing gear.

[> Subject: Re: Very nice video streaming from Dayton!

Author:
Fr. Straub
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, September 10, 01:47:28pm

Their color guy knows his stuff. He just blamed the coaching staff for not getting the play call in on time. Breaks are all going the other way so far.

[> [> Subject: Re: Very nice video streaming from Dayton!

Author:
CoachL
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, September 10, 04:46:57pm

Dayton's Color Commentator is Mike Kelly.

Coach Kelly was Dayton's Head Coach through the 2007 season.

A six-time PFL Coach of the Year, and seven-time national Coach of the Year, he spent 27 years as head coach of the Dayton Flyers football program.

Yeah, he kinda knows his stuff!

Subject: Judge Jack - Re: Online Streaming

Author:
CoachL
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Friday, September 09, 08:22:38pm

I watched the Duquesne - Bucknell game on the Bucknell-provided AllAccess stream.

I would have GREATLY preferred to listen to the audio from the outstanding folks at WMNY and streamed online at www.redzonemedia.com, but the Bucknell video and the Duquesne audio were out of sync.

The Dayton game is also going to be available online through Dayton's AllAccess service: http://www.fansonly.com/schools/dayt/allaccess/?media=252309 This is a pay service. Before the Bucknell game I believe I paid $9.95 for one month.

The video feed from Bucknell was okay; far better than nothing. Dayton's video feed has been notoriously poor in the past. Hopefully they will have improved the quality for the season. Also, I REALLY hope that the Dayton video and Duquesne's audio sync up, at least somewhat. I'd MUCH rather listen to our guys during the game. (I listen to our pre- and post-game audio all the time.)

Which brings me to the question: Why doesn't Duquesne have a video arrangement?? Cost: $0 (or very close to $0), and may even make a few bucks for the program. Plus, it would be great experience for some student audio/video people.

If I lived in the Pittsburgh area, there is NO WAY you could keep me from attending each and every home game at Rooney Field. However, a few thousand miles and the demands of my high school team force me to camp out in front of my computer on Saturdays in the Fall.

GO DUKES!

[> Subject: Re: Judge Jack - Re: Online Streaming

Author:
Shoey
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Friday, September 09, 06:04:43pm

Coach L are you sure they are livestreaming at Dayton??? I could be wrong but all it shows on that site tomorrow is Dayton Michigan Volleyball.

[> [> Subject: Re: Judge Jack - Re: Online Streaming

Author:
Shaler Tom
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Friday, September 09, 07:04:32pm

I think Shoey's right. I don't see a live stream.

[> [> Subject: Re: Judge Jack - Re: Online Streaming

Author:
CoachL
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Friday, September 09, 08:12:49pm

I am 100% certain.

There are a few places you can check.

1.) http://www.fansonly.com/schools/dayt/allaccess/index.html

This Dayton AllAccess link shows the Saturday Duquesne game (at least it does on my computer screen).

2.) Lateral Sports at: http://lateralsports.com also has a link to the video and audio feeds.

3.) The Dayton Flyers web site has a link to the video feed on their schedule page: http://www.daytonflyers.com/mens/football/schedule/

GO DUKES!

[> [> [> Subject: Re: Judge Jack - Re: Online Streaming

Author:
CoachL
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Friday, September 09, 08:19:55pm

I wish to add that I notice on the Lateral Sports site that a video stream of the Duquesne Women's Volleyball game vs. Cleveland State is going to be available at 7:00 pm EDT on Saturday.

GO DUKES!

[> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Judge Jack - Re: Online Streaming

Author:
CoachL
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Friday, September 09, 08:22:38pm

Oh, and I see that the video feed for the Dayton game is FREE!

(Hopefully, this will not be a case of getting what you pay for.)

Subject: From the Blog...

Author:
Coffee
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Thursday, September 08, 11:18:24pm

Forgive me for the lack of objectivity in writing the game story from Duquesne’s season opener. This is one game where my role as a blog writer gets trumped by my role as a die-hard fan. I started to write the article for this game about three or four times and each time I had to put the computer aside and walk away. There have been some games such as the Monmouth game last year that left a similar taste but for some reason, the Duke’s loss to Bucknell was even more heartbreaking. Duquesne possessed the better team on paper and on the field yesterday but let the game get away suffering a 27-26 loss in the last moments of a game where they led from the beginning.

Rather, they refused to put the game away. The loss to Bucknell wasn’t due to the lack of talent, enthusiasm, or even the lack of effort. It was due to the lack of attitude. Attitude is an intangible thing that you can sense but struggle to define. Coach Schmitt sensed that his team didn’t have it and did his best to spark his team to get it. A superior team can give up a win to a team that has that has more of a “refuse to lose” attitude. When you have the better team, you can’t blame the breaks, the refs, injuries, the clock, the home field advantage or anything but yourself for not coming away with a win.

This season has 10 games left and the entire conference schedule. Yes it was good to see Larry McCoy gut out 100+ yards, to see Dozie back and playing well and to see Conner Dixon back catching his first TD of the season when nobody though he’d be playing. It was fantastic to see Isaac Spragg step up as receiver. However, no individual performance can outweigh the lack of the winning attitude from the Dukes yesterday. This a collective attribute that has to be owned by the entire team and the team can either learn from this loss or be condemned to repeat it.

I’ll stop here and leave the game summary to the newspapers.

[> Subject: Re: From the Blog...

Author:
El Duque
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Sunday, September 04, 02:17:00pm

From a distance, I get that sense about the team too. Lots of good ballplayers, but not the one kid who is the heart and sould of the team. That's where you get that "let's put this one away" attitude.

Maybe the kid from OSU will be that player.

[> Subject: Re: From the Blog...

Author:
CoachL
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Sunday, September 04, 08:26:08pm

I'll simply add...

Hope that Ryan Ho is okay! If anyone has word on how he is doing, please let us know.

The new kid, David Thomas gave us a glimpse of what he might bring to The Bluff over the next few years!

Larry McCoy is a stud. I'm a Line Coach and I was screaming at my computer screen (I watched the video stream.) thoughout the entire game. Larry's 100+ yards came IN SPITE OF his offensive line.

IMHO, three things need to improve IMMEDIATELY if the Dukes have any chance at an NEC title this year:

1.) Offensive Line play

2.) Kicking game

3.) The attitude of a winner.

Let me make myself clear. "The attitude of a winner" is different than a "winning attitude". I believe that the Dukes have a "winning attitude". They want to win. They know they can win.

The "attitude of a winner" is the killer instinct. It's putting your foot on the neck of your opponent when he's down and KEEPING HIM DOWN. I missed that in the Dukes on Saturday. The boys let their opponents get up off the turf and it came back to bite them in their collective behinds.

I hope that the lessons learned in this bitterly disappointing loss stay with these boys the rest of their lives. It is lessons such as this that cannot be learned in the classroom. This is why I love sports, and love coaching.

GO DUKES!

[> [> Subject: Re: From the Blog...

Author:
Coffee
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Monday, September 05, 08:10:11am

We are on the same page here. There were a couple of drives where they could have iced the game but were was no urgency because they had a small lead.

[> [> [> Subject: Re: From the Blog...

Author:
CoachL
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Monday, September 05, 02:48:00pm

I should have simply used the term "killer instinct". That would have been clearer.

My post was rather extemporaneous, and lacked a good editor before I hit "Send"!

Author:
Coffee
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Monday, September 05, 03:27:06pm

Ho may be out for a while. I got a "sideline diagnosis" that I can't confirm yet.

Author:
Judge Jack McVay Jr
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Thursday, September 08, 11:18:24pm

Hey Coach! Just curious but how did you pick up the stream on your computer? I listened to 1360 and agree with your assesments generally. Would like to watch some of the road games in the future? Thanks to all!

Subject: FORUM MIX UP!

Author:
Coffee
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Tuesday, September 06, 11:12:56pm

SORRY GUYS- I was cutting and pasting some links from the Duquesne Forum into the other NEW NEC Forum and things got screwed up big time. Its too late at night to fix it.

[> Subject: Re: FORUM MIX UP!

Author:
Coffee
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Thursday, September 08, 08:48:28pm

I lost all the links and pictures. Now I gotta rebuild! #@!%#%!

Subject: BUCKNELL PRE-GAME FROM THE BLOG (See Link above)

Author:
Coffee
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Sunday, September 04, 08:13:52am

Last year the Dukes won a close 17-13 game at home vs their traditional opening foe Bucknell. The Bison should be a bigger and more experienced challenge on the road. Going into last year, Bucknell was led by new coach Joe Susan, a true freshman QB, and were running new offensive and defensive schemes.

ON BUCKNELL: Bucknell was picked to finish 5th in the Patriot conference this year and should be improved over last year’s squad, particularly on offense. The Bison changed out their option attack to a pro style offense so they should have it down better particularly since it was being run by a true freshman QB Brandon Wesley.

The Bison should be more experienced on defense as well with their 4-2-5 base alignment. The Defensive line includes Josh Eden, a two-time All-Patriot first-team selection and an FCS single-season record setter with eight blocked kicks last year and DT Robert De La Rosa, who has 18.5 tackles for loss over the last two seasons. This may force the Dukes to speed up their punting and kicking on special teams now likely to be both handled by Charlie Leventry.

The Patriot has 7 teams but Fordham is ineligible to compete for the league title since they have determined to award scholarships. The Patriot voted to table the issue of scholarships during the past year.

Good news on Eligibility- WR Conner Dixon was declared to have one more year of eligibility by the NCAA and will join the team in Lewisburg but has not been practicing. No news yet on Dorian Bell’s ability to play although I believe he has been allowed to practice.

The game is broadcast on WMNY 1360 AM and on Redzone Media

From the new office: Paste this link into browser to view Coach Schmitt on Bucknell from the Duquesne Athletic Dept. Site: http://www.goduquesne.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/090211aab.html

PREDICTION/ODDS: Duquesne 24-17. The Dukes are favored by 2 by Sagarin and also favored in the opening RPI.

Last edited by author: Saturday, September 03, 12:41:44pm   Edited 3 times.

[> Subject: Re: BUCKNELL PRE-GAME FROM THE BLOG (See Link above)

Author:
Marquis
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, September 03, 02:48:19pm

I have a good feeling about this team. The pieces are falling into place.

Highlights- O-Line. Never thought of it until I read this article from The Duke- http://www.theduquesneduke.com/ .

Linebacker- With Dozie and Bell (If cleared) added to an already talented group we will be very strong.

Backfield- A holdover plus from last year with McCoy and Paterson. I'd like more depth at QB. We've only have 3 listed.

WR/TE- Just made into a real plus with Dixon back. Moore is ready. Staff feels good enough to keep Layhe at OL.

DB- Made stronger with some moves from LB.

DL- Passodelis is the anchor with some added weight. We'll see who steps up to fill the other holes.

Coaching- Improving. Much more experience as OC. Schmitt seems to be growing comfortable.

Kicking- It hurts to lose a record setting PK...

We should be there in November!!

[> Subject: Re: BUCKNELL PRE-GAME FROM THE BLOG (See Link above)

Author:
Always a Duke
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, September 03, 03:06:23pm

Good preview on the Dukes-Bison's game. I know this is the Dukes' opener, and they are playing where they have never won before. However, I think this is the year that the higher caliber of players that Jerry Schmitt and his assistants were able to recruit with athletic scholarships for the past 4 years will noticeably elevate the Dukes performance from their non-athletic scholarship opponents. I think the Dukes have improved more that Bucknell has since their last meeting. I predict the Dukes 28, the Bison 14.

In the NEC, Robert Morris just lost to Dayton, 19-13.

[> [> Subject: Re: BUCKNELL PRE-GAME FROM THE BLOG (See Link above)

Author:
Coffee
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, September 03, 03:15:27pm

Great article on Bucknell's DE Eden from The Sports Network- http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/misc/haley/index.htm

[> [> [> Subject: Re: BUCKNELL PRE-GAME FROM THE BLOG (See Link above)

Author:
BGR
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Sunday, September 04, 08:13:52am

Dirty, dirty player.

Subject: BUCKNELL GAME DAY THREAD

Author:
Coffee
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, September 03, 09:43:03pm

Patterson to Spragg TD Dukes up 6-0! 21 yard TD... PAT Blocked by Josh Eden and almost run back.

Dozie's back! Nice goal line stand to drive the Bison back from the 1 to hold Bucknell to a FG.

DIXON'S BACK TOO! Dukes up 13-3

Duquesne is definitely the better team today. They just need to play smarter.

Last edited by author: Saturday, September 03, 08:23:25pm   Edited 5 times.

[> Subject: Re: BUCKNELL GAME DAY THREAD

Author:
Marquis
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, September 03, 07:14:57pm

Defense is playing well stopping their only drive at the 1. Bad break on an interception return to keep the Bison in it.

[> [> Subject: Re: BUCKNELL GAME DAY THREAD

Author:
Fr. Straub
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, September 03, 07:16:08pm

Stop handing it off to McCoy and air it out a bit!!!

[> [> [> Subject: Re: BUCKNELL GAME DAY THREAD

Author:
Marquis
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, September 03, 07:27:37pm

Don't like this!!! Old man Mo just changed seats. Why the H$!! didn't they try a couple of plays into the end zone at the end of the half!!!!

[> [> [> [> Subject: Re: BUCKNELL GAME DAY THREAD

Author:
Coffee
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, September 03, 08:50:53pm

3rd and goal at the 1. Duquesne should not be in this position!

[> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: BUCKNELL GAME DAY THREAD

Author:
Coffee
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, September 03, 09:17:06pm

Should have... Could have... Would have... but didn't!!!!

[> Subject: Re: BUCKNELL GAME DAY THREAD

Author:
Duke Fan
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, September 03, 09:43:03pm

Well not the start we all wanted. At least it's not a conference game. Go Dukes!

Subject: NEW NEC CONFERENCE FOOTBALL FORUM

Author:
Coffee
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, September 03, 07:55:52pm

I just started a new Forum for NEC Football at http://www.voy.com/226483/ . PASS THE WORD TO OUT NEC FRIENDS!

Subject: Conner Dixon returns to the Dukes; granted another year of eligibility by the NCAA

Author:
Always a Duke
[ Edit | View ]

Great news for the Dukes! Conner Dixon will rejoin the team in Lewisburg. Note that he hasn't practiced with the team since last season. My guess is that Conner may see limited action against Bucknell.

Click here.

Welcome back, Kotter - I mean Conner.

Now if only the NCAA will make its ruling on the eligibility of transfer Dorian Bell.

[> Subject: Re: Conner Dixon returns to the Dukes; granted another year of eligibility by the NCAA

Author:
Shaler Tom
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Friday, September 02, 09:29:57pm

A huge development. Dixon will demand double coverage which will make the offense even more explosive.

[> Subject: Re: Conner Dixon returns to the Dukes; granted another year of eligibility by the NCAA

Author:
Curious / CoachL
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, September 03, 02:41:32am

Great news for both Connor and the Dukes!

GO DUKES!

(I'm going to be posting as CoachL from now on. I never liked "Curious" but I stuck with it because my first post was a curiosity question. Most folks know me as CoachL.)

[> [> Subject: Re: Conner Dixon returns to the Dukes; granted another year of eligibility by the NCAA

Author:
Coffee
[ Edit | View ]

I like the new "Coach L" handle- Give 'em L!!

Subject: Preview of Dukes' First 2 Opponents: Bucknell & Dayton

Author:
Always a Duke
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Tuesday, August 30, 11:36:03pm

The Dukes open this season with two road games. This Saturday the Dukes will play the Bucknell Bison at 6 PM. Bucknell is expected to be a bit better than last year but is picked to finish 5th out of the six team Patriot League. Here's the Sports Network's analysis of the Patriot League, including Bucknell: Click here.

The Dukes travel to Dayton on Sept. 10th to play the Flyers, who posted a 10-1 record last season. Their only loss came at the hands of the Dukes on Rooney Field. I'm sure revenge will be on their minds. They are picked to finish 2nd out of 10 teams in the Pioneer League and the Sports Network provides this analysis:
Click here.

Subject: NCAA must make ruling for Dorian Bell's eligibility to plau for the Dukes

Author:
Always a Duke
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Monday, August 29, 02:08:41pm

According to a Duquesne official announcement today, Dorian Bell awaits NCAA's ruling on reinstatement of his eligibility to play for the Dukes this season:
Click here.

[> Subject: Re: NCAA must make ruling for Dorian Bell's eligibility to plau for the Dukes

Author:
Coffee
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Sunday, August 28, 09:22:11am

This may be a problem. The NCAA, even if they rule he can play, is not known for making timely decisions.

The Dukes are very well provisioned at linebacker. Bell's addition on the outside should give the Dukes a solid corps but I wondered if he would fit in and what his "undisclosed infractions" were until I spoke with a friend who knew Dorian and his family from Gateway. He asserts that his off field behavior will not be a problem.

[> [> Subject: Re: NCAA must make ruling for Dorian Bell's eligibility to plau for the Dukes

Author:
Kevin
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Monday, August 29, 02:08:41pm

One of his problems at OSU was two drug busts.

Subject: Dukes get First Page coverage in Saturday's P-G

Author:
Always a Duke
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Sunday, August 28, 06:57:36pm

The writer refers to the Dukes' playing at the D1 level - not drawing a distinction between D1-A (now called FBS) and D1-AA (now called FCS). Hey, but it's 1st page coverage for the football team. That's something we haven't seen for quite a while. Click here.

[> Subject: Re: Dukes get First Page coverage in Saturday's P-G

Author:
Coffee
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, August 27, 10:08:14pm

Great article! Well, I can't complain about the PG for a while.

[> [> Subject: Re: Dukes get First Page coverage in Saturday's P-G

Author:
Shaler Tom
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Sunday, August 28, 06:57:36pm

Maybe someone from the AD's office is reading this forum.

Subject: NEC Review from TSN

Author:
Coffee
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Friday, August 26, 10:25:09pm

Not bad, but they think we just transitioned from D-II. See- http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/previews/2011/conf.aspx?c=nec

[> Subject: Re: NEC Review from TSN

Author:
El Duque
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, August 27, 06:10:37pm

I saw that ... way to do your homework, reporters!

Subject: Obvious in a few weeks

Author:
Shoey
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Wednesday, August 24, 07:47:00pm

It will be obvious in a few short weeks when the Dukes are undefeated and winning the NEC........there wont be room for anyone the place will be overflowing and they will here complaints from everyone.......The Dukes are gonna make em change!!!!!

[> Subject: Re: Obvious in a few weeks

Author:
Coffee
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Sunday, August 21, 04:38:31pm

That's the solution!!! We did have bigger crowds in past years and I've taken friends to games before. Its just easier to get them to come back if it looks like a field where an event is about to occur.

[> [> Subject: Re: Obvious in a few weeks

Author:
Shaler Tom
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Wednesday, August 24, 07:47:00pm

If we could just figure out a way to get 25% of the students there. Most of the crowd seems to be either parents, recruits or old-timers like myself.

Subject: We are #1 no question

Author:
Shoey
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, August 20, 10:34:20pm

We have the worst football updates and coverage of any D1AA school in the country. If you want to know anything about the Dukes just go to www.goduquesne.com you will see that they reported to camp on Aug 7th. Painful....just zero excitement created from within....everything that is written can be seen on NEC or other schools websites.........no creativity, enthusiasm or energy.

[> Subject: Re: We are #1 no question

Author:
Shaler Tom
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Friday, August 19, 09:42:19am

So true Shoey. It all begins with our media relations. You would think that they would cater to our local papers, press etc. but no....its up to the few diehards that follow this site to carry the load. Pathetic. Even Cal of Pa and W&J get more media coverage than the Dukes.

[> [> Subject: Re: We are #1 no question

Author:
Shoey
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Friday, August 19, 10:30:49am

TS- There are four basketball stories (the only stories)on the front page today of our own school website.........if you dont care from within.........who cares from the outside????

[> [> [> Subject: Re: We are #1 no question

Author:
Shaler Tom
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Friday, August 19, 03:06:26pm

Sad but so very true! Unfortunately, we've had this discussion for years and the solution still remains the same. The Stadium!

It's a vicious circle that we are on. Small Stadiums = Small Crowds, Small Crowds = Low Revenue, Low Revenue = Lack of support from the administration, Lack of support = No marketing, no band and no stadium improvements.

Until they realize that the stadium is an embarassment to a D-1 program, I'm afraid we'll be on that circle forever.
I did a little research and found that last year, we averaged 1667 fans. How pitiful is that! God only knows how many of that number paid. Cal of PA had games with crowds of 4000 and 5000. IUP had games over 4000. Even W&J had a game with over 3200 fans.

It's really a simple case of mathematics....until we can seat at least 4000 people, we're destined to be an after-thought with Dougherty and Amodio.

What really is a shame is that the boys are going to compete for the NEC crown this year and no one is even going to know it.

[> [> [> [> Subject: Dorian Bell

Author:
Shoey
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Friday, August 19, 05:15:17pm

Well Ohio State boards are saying Dorian Bell transferring to Duquesne! Our defense just got a tad better!!!!!!!

[> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Dorian Bell

Author:
CLK
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Friday, August 19, 05:40:57pm

There are several twitter posts including one by former Buckeye LB Dorian that he's transferring to Duquesne.

[> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Dorian Bell

Author:
Shoey
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Friday, August 19, 06:07:33pm

You can find it everywhere now except for Duquesne site..........but there is info on a 7 1 center transferring for basketball.........our D is gonna be nasty!!!!!!!

[> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Dorian Bell

Author:
Shaler Tom
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Friday, August 19, 06:32:24pm

A huge get. I remember seeing him when he was at Gateway and was a man against boys. I think he was a 5 star recruit and was ranked the 4th best HS linebacker in 09.

[> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Dorian Bell

Author:
Coffee
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, August 20, 11:36:47am

Linebacker Dorian Bell has officially transferred to Duquesne from Ohio State. He is enrolled and has joined the team.

Mr. Bell was a 5-Star recruit out of Gateway High School in Monroeville, Pennsylvania in 2009. He has two years of eligibility remaining.

From his Twitter account (@DBell11):
Duquesne.. Is my home now.. Fully enrolled..
http://scoutcombines.scout.com/a.z?s...=1&nid=2628663

He had been suspended from the Ohio State team for the 2011 season for a third "unspecified violation of team rules" back in May.

I trust that the Duquesne coaching staff has thoroughly investigated the circumstances of Mr. Bell's troubles at Ohio State and are satisfied that he is not bringing unwelcome baggage to "The Bluff".

From a post on Any Given Saturday...

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Dorian Bell

Author:
Marquis
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, August 20, 12:01:37pm

Heck with Penn State... With Dozie and Bell added to an already great corps of linebackers the Dukes are now officially the new "LINEBACKER U!!!"

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Dorian Bell

Author:
TMH
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, August 20, 02:55:43pm

Coffee,
Why does Bell only have 2 years of eligibility left? I was under the impression that he redshirted the 2009 season, played for OSU last year and does not have to sit out due to transfering to a lower level. Shouldn't that give him 3 years of eligibility left?
Thank you for all your hard work here.

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Dorian Bell

Author:
Curious
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, August 20, 08:19:13pm

TMH,

You are absolutely correct. Mr. Bell has three (3) years of eligibility left. Coffee was guilty of quoting a poster from the Any Given Saturday forum (who shall remain nameless) who was so taken aback by the news of Mr. Bell's transfer that he forgot the Basic Math that Sister Mary Elisabeth taught him in the first grade at St. Raymond's Elementary.

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Dorian Bell

Author:
Coffee
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, August 20, 10:34:20pm

I got the info from "Any Given Saturday".

[> [> [> [> Subject: Re: We are #1 no question

Author:
Coffee
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, August 20, 11:30:05am

To look at the bright side, it is a real wonder that JS and co. have been putting together a good product given the problem with no seating, no band and no coverage.

Imagine what they could do with even a 4500 seat field and the same band they had. What really pi$$e$ me off is that we just gave away thousands of dollars worth of instruments and uniforms when we have a music school full of kids who would fundraise and play- That's what band kids DO!

And how much more expense would it have been to put in just a few ore rows enough to put some sound onto the field?

Well, I really tried to be positive... They have nice locker rooms and offices... but most fans will never SEE THEM!!!

OK, one more time... We can actually use a restroom at the field and have new field turf real concession stand... BUT USED THE WRONG LOGO ON THE FIELD and should have expanded the press box or box seats at the 50 YARD LINE and sold hot dogs on the other side!!!!!!

Sorry guys... remain POSITIVE!

[> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: We are #1 no question

Author:
Shaler Tom
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, August 20, 02:16:21pm

You're right Coffee...It's hard to stay positive but if we don't....who will?

The sad truth is that the solution is so simple. Obviously they do not want to disturb Academic Walk. Thats fine...neither would I. The answer is to take the stands up and OVER Bluff St. Create a tunnel that would allow traffic to continue on through with the stands above the tunnel. I mean we're only talking about another 20 rows. That would immediately increase our capacity to about 4000. Not great, but a start.

[> Subject: Re: We are #1 no question

Author:
Shirley
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, August 20, 12:49:07pm

I agree 100% - why is Duquesne Football not covered

Main index ] [ Archives: 123456[7]8910 ]

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a new public message:
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
* Message subject (required):

* Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Choose Message Icon: [ View Emoticons ]

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2017 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.