VoyForums
GIVE FREE FOOD
www.TheHungerSite.com
-> Click Here <-
Fund Free Mammograms with a Click
www.TheBreastCancerSite.com
-> Click Here <-
Non-profit ad served by VoyForums...

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 1[2]345678910 ]

DUQUESNE DUKES FOOTBALL FORUM
~DUQUESNE DUKES FOOTBALL FORUM~
This forum is for discussion of Duquesne Football since other excellent Duquesne Basketball forums exist. (Links below). It is also open to all Duquesne sponsored or club sports.Duquesne sponsors: Basketball (M/W), Cross Country (M/W), Football, Soccer (M/W), Swimming (W), Tennis (M/W), Track and Field (M/W), LaCrosse (W), Crew (W), Volleyball (W). Club Sports include Ice Hockey and Men's Crew. Some posts on this Forum may be re-posted on the Duquesne Football Blog (See Duquesnesports.blogspot.com). This is a discussionforum where you are a guest. Treat others as you would like to be treated. No foul language, using another's moniker or personal attacks. Character on the field and on this forum reflects upon Duquesne. Links to this site are encouraged. Feedback is welcome. -Coffee

~OTHER DUQUESNE LINKS~

*COFFEE'S DUQUESNE FOOTBALL BLOG*
*OFFICIAL Northeast Conference Football SITE*
*The Sports Network FCS Page*
*USA Today Sagarin Division I College Football Rankings*
*Real Time RPI Division 1 College Football Rankings*
*College Football Data Warehouse*
*ESPN Radio Northeast Conference Notebook*

Subject: New Duke

Author:
CoachL
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Wednesday, February 06, 09:52:16am

DuquesneFootball @DUQFOOTBALL

Our first signee of the 2013 recruiting class is... Chris Johnson a 5'11, 190 pound defensive back by way of Ocala, FL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CdYSJpxk3Xo ů

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]

Subject: New Commitment

Author:
CLK
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Wednesday, January 30, 06:08:59pm

Eric Modie

Eric ■@Modes42 Officially commited to Duquesne

http://insider.espn.go.com/college-sports/football/recruiting/player/evaluation/_/id/170876/eric-modie

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/1215199/#highlights/8486386

Subject: Chris Jones

Author:
CLK
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Sunday, January 13, 04:33:16pm

Chris Jones a transfer from Lakawana College commited to the Dukes. This kid looks like a nice pick up for the Dukes. Check out his highlight video in the link below.

http://www.lackawannafalcons.com/sports/fball/2012-13/bios/jones_chris_hzz7

Subject: Florida transfer

Author:
CLK
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Wednesday, January 09, 12:21:24pm

I saw this FYI

WPIAL_Insider■@WPIAL_Insider
University of Florida transfer Chris Johnson is enrolled and on campus at Duquesne University

[> Subject: Re: Florida transfer

Author:
CLK
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Wednesday, January 09, 01:31:11pm

Maybe premature

CHRIS JONES■@ChrisLife8
@Dee_Producer idk yet bro I got till feb so that's plenty of time .. I go on my visit to Duquesne Friday .I'm waiting for my visit for y'all

Subject: Some Recruiting News

Author:
CLK
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Thursday, December 27, 09:59:04pm

It looks like the Dukes picked up a couple of JUCO teammates.

Brad Hoiseth■@BradHoiseth
LA Pierce (JUCO) LB Austin Whalen informed me he has signed his LOI to Duquesne

Brad Hoiseth■@BradHoiseth
LA Pierce (JUCO) center Mitchell Geib has committed to Duquesne

The Dukes also received a commitment from a former Texas Tech defensive back Don Hursey

CHRIS JONES■@ChrisLife8
S/0 to my man @donhursey for signing with Duquesne!!

[> Subject: Re: Some Recruiting News

Author:
Ryan Deaner
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Thursday, January 03, 03:46:17pm

Mitchel geib one of the most underrated linemen in juco! Big sign for the dukes should make immediate impact! Very athletic for his size and big pick up with texas tech transfer! Watch out for the dukes!

Subject: Homecoming Reunion

Author:
Judge Jack McVay Jr
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Wednesday, December 26, 12:04:18am

Hello Everyone! Just a reminder that this is homecoming week and lots of fun lined up beginning with Coach Schmitt's show from Cupkas Two Friday night live at 7pm with Coach McCann,other coaches and ex-players participating. We will be wearing throwbacks as I still have some to distribute and a process will be put in place to order new throwbacks.Also, there are many other homecoming related events that are found on Duquesne's website.Saturday, ex-players and supporters will have the annual tailgate and then participate in pre-game ceremonies that promise to be exciting! Look forward to seeing everyone and Go Dukes!

[> Subject: Re: Homecoming Reunion

Author:
Duke from way back
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Friday, September 30, 09:03:18am

The official football website suggests that Coach Schmitt's show on the South Side is on Sat night instead of tonight. Can someone clarify??

[> Subject: Re: Homecoming Reunion

Author:
Dave Thomas
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Wednesday, December 26, 12:04:18am

How can I get my throwback (literally speaking), Jack?

Subject: MERRY CHRISTMAS AND HAPPY NEW YEAR TO THE DUQUESNE FAMILY!

Author:
Coffee
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Monday, December 24, 10:57:57am

Warm wishes and blessings to all!

Subject: Finally

Author:
412 Express
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Tuesday, December 18, 08:11:18am

I just received a phone call confirming some exciting news. The Dukes will head to Youngstown to face the Penguins on September 21, 2013.

Definitely a step in the right direction. Our freshman QB will get his first taste of a big game early, should speed up the maturing process!

[> Subject: Re: Finally

Author:
CoachL
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Tuesday, December 11, 06:31:12pm

A. That is good news.

B. What about senior-to-be QB Marty Mitchell?

[> [> Subject: Re: Finally

Author:
412 Express
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Wednesday, December 12, 10:54:25am

Well I did not forget about him, I was always pretty optimistic of Marty-good size, great arm strength-but in his opportunities the past couple years (albeit brief) were disappointing. In his defense, coming off the bench into the fire is not an easy thing to do so I'm not basing my opinion on those performances alone.

We can guess and project all we want but the position is open and will be won during camp. From what I've seen, both guys have the tools, its going to come down to the decision making. If I'm Jerry, unless Marty is a clear cut winner, you go with your young guy, given hes shown hes capable, and build your offense around him.

QB controversey needs to be avoided at all costs. Make a choice and stick with it. We don't need another QB carousel like years past.

[> [> [> Subject: Re: Finally

Author:
shoey
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Thursday, December 13, 11:42:15pm

412- he will have to put on 20 pounds just so it is safe for him to be on field with 23 year old men....still a couple years away.Mitchell job to lose unless there is a digruntled 51 qb transfer in.

Author:
shoey
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Wednesday, December 12, 10:07:32pm

412-That's the last thing you want to have happen is have your 165 lb red shirt freshman start against YSU. Mitchell is going to start he is much more polished and has a bigger armm. You may need to tell the friends and relatives to hold off a year unless we get a bigtime d1 transfer in. You havbe no clue on how physical the NEC is.

Author:
Coffee
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Thursday, December 13, 09:08:27am

Great news to have this confirmed. Always a Duke had the rumors sniffed out and I was hoping to see it made official. I think he has electronic listening devices in the Athletic Office. This is a good chance for a very doable road trip to a great place to see a game.

[> [> Subject: Re: Finally

Author:
shoey
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Friday, December 14, 09:50:10pm

I am happy to see us play YSU, the old dominions and georgia southerns....BUT i believe until we have our players stay in the burgh all summer and work out....it actually is unrealistic to expect to win and actually puts our players in harms way. It already isnt an even playing field. Tough task.....dont like athletic departments making $ when they set athletes up for failure. Im watching georgia southern and i dont see one body out there that resembles a duquesne kid.....maybe bell but thats it.....oh well the check is all they care about.

[> [> [> Subject: Re: Finally

Author:
Coffee
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, December 15, 07:29:17am

Shoey, i am usually pretty critical of the half-a$$ed measures the department takes, particularly when it wouldn't take much more to do it right. Conditioning at this level must be a year-round program and kids like Mike Pasadalis (sp) have taken it very seriously with good results. I would hope that the weight room is open all year.

I don't believe that the department nor the team would see themselves as putting themselves in "harms way" for the money when they play up. That is the Duke's tradition.

[> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Finally

Author:
shoey
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Sunday, December 16, 10:48:26pm

Coffee- with all due respect its a lot different to have the weight room open and playing teams that pay for school, meals and they stay together all summer. Huge difference. This year Duquesne takes a bus on labor day weekend the day before they play Old Dominion with a gatorade and one stop for food. They fly home after a team that trains year round and physically exposes our lack of year round scholarship program. I don't think playing up against the likes of ysu old dominion georgia southern is tradition. Playing up against low scholarship teams when we had none may be but this is a whole different animal. I just don't think a check is worth setting student-athletes up for failure. 57-23 (could of been worse) wasn't worth it. I don't think the team gained anything from it. Let's be honest your playing for a check.....and in my mind its just legal prostitution of athletes.

[> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Finally

Author:
412 Express
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Tuesday, December 18, 08:11:18am

Very true about the 165 lb thing, I forgot how frail he looked this year. Hopefully a full year of eating at the towers dining hall and welday's lifting program will pack on a few pounds.

As far as the 'playing up' debate, I also agree that its setting us up for failure, but at the same time its a big help with recruiting. We all know rooney is a sorry excuse for a college football field, so playing bigtime teams is a form of exposure. Going to the delawares, ODU's, and YSU's is an experience in itself. It's the only opportunity a Duke has to play in front of a bigger crowd than they had in high school. I think the pros outweigh the cons in this situation. Plus, just think if we pulled off an upset one year?

Subject: It is just a game... See Blog

Author:
Coffee
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, December 15, 10:19:00am

Latest essay on why we do what we do...

Subject: NEW RIVERHOUNDS STADIUM

Author:
Coffee
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Monday, December 10, 01:17:49pm

I know that the University just sunk some money into Rooney to add bathrooms but man, the team really should consider playing its home games at the new Riverhounds Highmark Stadium. It has more seats and looks like a real Division I-AA (FBS) Stadium.

Had The University had the forsight to make their bleachers a bit higher to get the feel of a field at least in the same"ballpark" as a AA high school field, I'd say stay at Rooney. Playing at Highmark Stadium would be an attraction to help recruiting rather than a drag. I'll never forget the first time I saw the new Rooney. Marshall was in to play soccer and they were really ripping it.

See the new field at: http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2012/11/29/riverhounds-hope-new-stadium-makes-pittsburgh-a-soccer-town/

[> Subject: Re: NEW RIVERHOUNDS STADIUM

Author:
Duke Nukem
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Friday, November 30, 11:23:33pm

Agreed Coffee... The field would draw more fans, help recruiting and be a real treat to watch a game at. Can you imagine a game broadcast nationally from there with that backdrop?

[> [> Subject: Re: NEW RIVERHOUNDS STADIUM

Author:
Me
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Monday, December 10, 01:17:49pm

Interesting article. I had no idea that this was being built and I work in Downtown.

http://goal.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/11/29/a-new-stadium-in-pittsburgh/

Also, I have read where they could expand the stadium to fit 18,500 and an MLS franchise if warranted.

Back on topic, I remember the days of DU football at South Stadium. Dismal attendance. In the D3 years. As sad as Rooney Field is, moving it off campus even to a nice facility as this Highmark Field seems to be, would not work IMO.

Subject: Gone Fishing

Author:
Coffee
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Friday, November 23, 12:52:09pm

I guess most folks who have been to this Forum and the Blog have realized that I have not been writing or contributing much lately. Many of you have even written e-mails asking about my health. Thanks for the concern but I am fine. I guess I need to take a break for a while. The forum remains open and the blog will stay but without much added.

I guess seeing Ron fired from the basketball program hurt when I saw the progress he had made. The administration seemed to have no loyalty. Seeing Neil Loebig brought back to the football staff and letting Dave Loya go also was a real downer and the Dukes Offense is showing it. I don't see what Neil brings as a coach. We have a bad habit of hiring kids fresh off the football field into the coaxhing offices without the idea that playing has nothing to do with the ability to coach. Dave is a proven coach who came back to the Bluff with coaching experience.

[> Subject: Re: Gone Fishing

Author:
shoey
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Thursday, November 15, 10:30:01am

Coffee- agree....the yards are there this year but the cheistry isn't. I said it was a bad hire from day one.

Author:
412 Express
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Thursday, November 15, 11:39:23am

I share your frustrations Coffee. With the season all but over, and a disappointing one at that, it's usually the time to start playing the blame game. So I'll start. Sure we had injuries, sure we had to replace a lot of experience, but those things happen every year. They are the variables of the game that every team has to overcome. I've said it before and I'll say it again, the Dukes are being held back from reaching their full potential. Coach Schmitt, as nice a guy as he is, is just not a good head coach. His coaching style is just too vanilla, he has the uncanny ability to de-motivate. Until you get a head coach that the players respect and WANT to play for, you have a toxic environment. Loya was one of those guys as a player, and a coach. Opfar is one of those guys. The player's don't have faith in Jerry, plain and simple. It's hard to gauge a coach's true personality and style until he's been there awhile. Schmitt has been there long enough, hes reached his full potential, but it's time for a change.

DISCLAIMER: I in no way have a personal vendetta against Coach Schmitt. He's done a good job with the team and the conversion into the NEC, but like the basketball team with Coach Everhart, time to move forward.

[> [> Subject: Re: Gone Fishing

Author:
Coffee
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Thursday, November 15, 05:07:54pm

412 Express- JS is JS. He does some things well and I respect him. He needs to have others around him to add what he doesn't do well. Opfar and Loya are good examples. Coaching is a team game too. Neil was a good QB. He is bland as a coach and as a communicator. Chuck Knoll and Bill Cower were very different coaches but both put together a great staff to fill all need and to fill for what they did not do well.

We had the tools to do better this year. We just didn't use them. Play each of the losses over, except for the Old Dominion game and they could all be wins.

[> [> [> Subject: Re: Gone Fishing

Author:
Duke from way back
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Friday, November 16, 08:32:21am

Coffee, the minute you returned, the chatter picked up. Great to have you back. It has been however a very disappointing, albeit, not necessarily , unpredictable, year. Although we had some fire power back this year what we lost from last year was huge. Remember, we barely squeeked by CCSU,Bryant,Monmouth and Sacred Heart. We then lost 4 strating DBs to graduation and 5, I repeat, 5 senior wide recievers. Huge losses. Losing Loya was also a big loss. I dont think people realied how important he was on the sidelines. Having said that, I have some other observations. Our Qb has been very erratic this year. I dont think we can blame Loebig. When he was a sophomore, Loebig was the OC and he did pretty good. He is a senior. He is familiar with the offenses and most of the players and coaches. He did not step up this year. He seems like a great kid and we know he is a superb athlete. He acts like he has senioritis almost and it is a shame that we dont have another QB to give him some real competition to keep him honest. I have heard he may have a sore hand which may eplain the drop in accuracy but that should not affect his decision making. Also, we lost a fantastic DL in Pasodelis. The D is somwhat porous this year although nothing like 3 and 4 years ago. With the d faltering a little bit our 4th quarter heroics are not enough. JS has to be careful. In the end, the coaches have to look in the mirror because when the d plays only one half and o plays only one half, you have a discipline problem and you cant blame any one player. Whatever the reason, i dont think this AD will be tolerant and with a new QB and tailback coming in next year and the loss of even more key D personnel like Serge, life on the bluff could be tougher yet. I will be there, I'm a lifer but I hope to see the rest of the staff as well.

[> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Gone Fishing

Author:
412 Express
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Friday, November 16, 10:48:16am

Duke-Ive always been a little critical of Patterson. He is a great athlete and is a playmaker no doubt, but he lacks the vision and pocket presence that a good QB needs to have. It was most evident to me last year when our O-line was as solid as I've ever seen it, he would drop back to pass and continuously break the pocket and scramble when he had more than enough time to stand tall and make the throw. I was only able to see a few games but those were my main observations. Granted, he made a lot of plays with his feet doing that, but in the close games it hurt us. The O-line this year is much better than I thought it would be they have done a great job, but Sean again repeatedly flees the pocket.

I'm excited to see what this new QB from montour can do. I've heard he is a pro-style gunslinger!

Author:
shoey
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, November 17, 02:38:48pm

Same ole story can't stop the run....we run 14 times out of 18 1st down plays....get ahead in 4th d can't hold them ask o to perform miracle game over.another loss...gonna miss you seniors.

Author:
Me
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Sunday, November 18, 06:25:07pm

It was just a very disappointing end to a disappointing season when much was expected. Thanks to all that contributed.

I am not sure where they turn next. It will all be on Coach Schmitt because I am sure that he is not getting any help or guidance from the athletic director or department.

Does anyone know if the Loya decision was forced upon him in a budget cut?

Author:
Coffee
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Sunday, November 18, 10:02:14pm

They brought back Loebig and gave Dixon a job which left no room for Loya. They didn't tell him until the week camp started so he had no time to hook up with another team. Not the way to treat a good coach... He took the high road and still followed the team.

Author:
shoey
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Thursday, November 22, 11:43:56pm

Coffee- after reading your thread i think that is how the football team played and thought this year. Last year the team was able to play over the lack of excitement and leadership because they played for each other. This year it caught up with them...the lack of chemistry and want to run through the wall for your coach and team wasnt there. No passion and nobody to bring it out of them......this team couLld of easily been 1-10 without a few guys.its worse than people know.

Author:
Coffee
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Friday, November 23, 09:15:42am

This team could also have been 10-1 or 9-2. I like Coach Schmidt for his integrity and for bringing inn some players in spite of having to ask them to play in front of the 9 rows of bleachers.

I thought he had learned to bring in experienced coached that could relate to the players but his coaching moves this year were confusing. He needs to focus on results. This year's coaching staff didn't get the most from these kids.

Jerry is not the type of coach to give the Gipper Speech so he needs coaches like Loya who know what they are doing, can relate to the kids and keep their heads focused and fired up.

Author:
shoey
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Friday, November 23, 12:52:09pm

Coffee- agree js is a good person but this is d1aa football and not having relationships with players and staff is fatal.comraderie and chemistry are so important. I still talk to my college coach from 30 years ago and if he called me in the middle of the night i would do anything for him. That is the passion you have to have......we were blessed with a great group last year and i think it gave us a false sense of where this program is at from a leadership standpoint.beating a dead horse because any player that has been through the program would agree.

Subject: Happy and Blessed Thanksgiving to the Duquesne Family!

Author:
Coffee
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Wednesday, November 21, 02:48:45pm

Happy and Blessed Thanksgiving to the Duquesne Family!

Subject: New Duquesne basketball Forum

Author:
CLK
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Monday, November 12, 01:36:05pm

As the football season winds down I would like to invite DU fans to visit the new Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fans Message Board. Registration is free, quick and easy. Go Dukes!

http://duquesnefans.boardhost.com/index.php

Subject: Albany visits the Bluff

Author:
CoachL
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, November 10, 08:21:21pm

Our Dukes are very gracious hosts. We are letting our visitors do anything they please.

As a Line coach, it pains me to see our Offensive and Defense lines getting pushed all over the field.

I missed the beginning of the game, but I heard Coach Schmitt mention during the half-time interview that we have a large number of guys out with injuries. What's the word on Dorian Bell, for example?

Almost nothing is going our way - passes are missing by "that much"; tackles are being missed by "that much"; refs are missing blocks in the back on TD runs by "THAT MUCH"; even punts are not bouncing our way; but in the end, we are just being whipped on the line of scrimmage.

I'll be interested to see how the boys come out in the second half. I would be severely disappointed if they give up. We may not win this game, but I expect us to go down FIGHTING.

GO DUKES!

[> Subject: Re: Albany visits the Bluff

Author:
CoachL
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, November 10, 03:13:47pm

38-31 Final (after 35-7 at halftime)

The Dukes fought well in the second half. They should be proud of their effort.

However, I do believe that Duquesne should offer a degree in Geoscience & Resource Engineering (Mining). This team (unfortunately) has a great amount of experience digging deep holes.

GO DUKES!

[> [> Subject: Re: Albany visits the Bluff

Author:
sewhcaoc
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, November 10, 04:16:28pm

What's with the consistently slow starts? coaching? players? or both? We are the best second half team in the NEC !!

[> Subject: Re: Albany visits the Bluff

Author:
shoey
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, November 10, 08:21:21pm

Went down fighting scored 24 in the second half but the old achilles heel (305 yards rushing) is too much too overcome. We got whipped up front on both sides our big plays were mostly improvising under pressure.

Subject: Dukes at Bobby Mo

Author:
Always a Duke
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Wednesday, November 07, 10:29:33pm

The Dukes will hopefully give retiring Robert Morris coach, Joe Walton, a loss this afternoon at the stadium that bears his name. Coach Schmitt has been quite successful against Bobby Mo (5-2) since taking over as the Dukes' head coach. Today the Dukes need a win and Albany to lose to Wagner to still keep hopes alive for the Dukes to finish first in the NEC. I believe that Larry McCoy will lead the Dukes' rushing attack and get 100 + yards against a Robert Morris team whose defense against the run has been not been strong.

I'm predicting the Dukes the victors by a score of 31-14. The Dukes will secure this win with a strong 4th quarter.

Click here for more about the game.

I hope some of Duquesne fans will be able to make it to the game this afternoon and brave the chilly temperature. If you can't be there, you can still view the game on the Root Sports channel.

[> Subject: Albany losing to Wagner

Author:
CoachL
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, November 03, 03:15:12pm

Albany is currently losing to Wagner in the 3rd quarter, 30-0!

Wow.

[> [> Subject: Re: Albany losing to Wagner

Author:
412 Express
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Monday, November 05, 08:00:33am

Wow is right. Probably one of the biggest upsets in recent memory for the NEC-really shook things up. Unfortunately, the Dukes sealed their own fate, we just can't win at Bobby Mo! I was unable to attend the game, can anyone offer any insight as to what happened?

[> Subject: Re: Dukes at Bobby Mo

Author:
sewhcaoc
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Monday, November 05, 08:16:22am

Well......that didn't happen. Blocked punt that led to 7 points and couldn't score from first and goal from about the 5 yard line.......and it was on national TV. SMH !

[> [> Subject: Re: Dukes at Bobby Mo

Author:
shoey
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Tuesday, November 06, 01:41:36pm

The offense got the ball 3 times the second half. Had the ball 1st and goal twice in the game inside the ten.........still don't have a feel on what they were trying to accomplish. Watched football all weekend most teams had a redzone plan....I think we play bingo and pick a play out of the hat hoping it works. Don't even get me started on the useage of time outs in the first half.....players wanting to call time-out coaches saying no....we get a fg and take a to back to the bluff. Weird game we outgained them led in every category except for scoreboard.

[> [> [> Subject: Re: Dukes at Bobby Mo

Author:
Bleu
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Wednesday, November 07, 10:29:33pm

Someone please revive me from the Robert Morris game....Coach L ?...Coffee ?...Always a Duke ? please comment on this game, your opinions are much respected...Shoey, please continue...

Subject: dukes vs monmouth

Author:
sewhcaoc
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Sunday, October 28, 09:22:11pm

SOMEONE PLEASE COMMENT ON THIS GAME........I REALLY DONT KNOW WHAT I WAS WATCHING......WAS THAT FOOTBALL?

[> Subject: Re: dukes vs monmouth

Author:
412 Express
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, October 27, 07:23:04pm

The Dukes came out typically slow but seemed to get things rolling in the 2nd half. Offense scored 27 pts against a decent hawks defense, can't blame the 'O'. Dukes D-Line got pushed around all day, hawks RB had 158 yds. Tough to win a game if you cant stop your opponents ground game. Hawks definitely a good team though gotta give em credit they were out for revenge from the shutout last year

[> [> Subject: Re: dukes vs monmouth

Author:
Coffee
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Sunday, October 28, 09:35:51am

That's two games we really should have won against inferior teams.

[> [> [> Subject: Re: dukes vs monmouth

Author:
sewhcaoc
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Sunday, October 28, 10:08:45am

what about the coaching decisions? before half, we could have put 3 pts on the scoreboard and then get the ball back after half time. The decision was made to go for a td and we end up losing by 1 pt.

Author:
Duke from way back
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Sunday, October 28, 10:42:32am

Well, I made it to the game and although it was a good,close game, I was really disappointed. Typically, I do not question play calling because inevitably I am probably wrong but I cannot at all understand going for low percentage corner of the end zone pass plays in the rain on 4th and a few when shorter higher percentage dump off plays could have put us immediately in field goal range. Also, McCoy ran for 22 yds to put us inside the 10 and we threw three straight incompletions again in the rain. We should have stuck with Larry then. Sean Patterson who I think is one of the best to ever play on the bluff was not sharp especially near the end of the game. Respectfully must disagree that the O should not shoulder any of the blame. 27 points is good but decieving. Too many opportunities left on the field. The youth of the DB was exposed against this very good QB Frazier. And how could the defense give up that long run on 3rd down when they had him wrapped up. That was inexcusable at that point in the game. This team was good, they were big and talented but they were NOT fast. The Dukes got punched in the mouth. The D line played a TERRIBLE first half Yes, we dropped two games to teams we should have beaten. Three losses with Albany, RMU an Wagner to go. Hopefully, the boys can salvage something here and make it respectable. Congrats to the best ever and he showed it again yesterday, The Real McCoy.

[> [> Subject: Re: dukes vs monmouth

Author:
sewhcaoc
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Sunday, October 28, 01:59:21pm

I agree...I don't think there is a right or wrong but coaches coach...players play. When you're down 21-7 and the half is about to end and you get the ball back after half.....kick the field goal. hind sight is 20/20 but it's hard not to point to that decision when you lose by 1 point. Also, the spread seems to stall when they get in the red zone.....maybe go with a jumbo package and pound it in.....

Author:
shoey
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Sunday, October 28, 09:22:11pm

In both conference games we lost we averaged 29 points with no interceptions and 2 fumbles....when we can't stop the run we lose plain and simple. Monmouth running back had 100 yards in first half. Stop the run we win.

Subject: 35-3 Victory over the Pioneers!

Author:
CoachL
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Thursday, October 25, 04:40:47pm

Congratulations DUKES!!!

Our Dukes showed up for an entire four quarters today and played their best overall game of the season.

The under-achieving, and much maligned defense finally came together today. Dorian Bell had a magnificent game.

It was good to see Larry McCoy back in the lineup, and Sean Patterson kept finding the end zone with his feet or via Gianni Carter.

Outstanding overall effort, gentlemen!

GO DUKES!

[> Subject: Re: 35-3 Victory over the Pioneers!

Author:
Shoey
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, October 20, 09:37:24pm

Coach L- couldn't agree more.....nice post

[> [> Subject: Re: 35-3 Victory over the Pioneers!

Author:
Judge Jack McVay Jr
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Sunday, October 21, 01:56:41pm

Coach L, Shoey and all, Agree one hundred percent as I saw team defense with solid tackling led by D Bell!Also,great to see McCoy back and wanted to mention that he came up to me after the game and thanked me for attending! Class kid and sure hope someone gives him a look next year, they dont come any tougher!Shout out to Patterson too for some clutch big plays!Lets beat Monmouth next week! Jack

Author:
Always a Duke
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Tuesday, October 23, 12:53:58am

It appears that others agree about the Dukes' performance if recognition for outstanding individual performance is any measure. The Dukes' QB Patterson was named as the NEC Offensive Player of the Week through his accounting for 5 TDs, three by running and 2 by passing. Dukes' Jr. Linebacker Dorian Bell named NEC and National FCS Player of the Week. Thank you, The Ohio State, for providing the opportunity which led to Dorian's transfer to Duquesne.

Hopefully the Dukes' improved performance will carry over to its game with Monmouth this Saturday at Rooney Field at 12:10 PM. Sagarin makes the Dukes only a 1/2 point favorite, and Real Time RPI projects the Dukes to win 32-19.

Click here for NEC awards.

Click here for info on the College Sports Madness National FCS Defensive Player of the Week.

Click here for info on The Sports Network National FCS Defensive Player of the Week.

Author:
bob
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Thursday, October 25, 04:40:47pm

www.gamedaycornhole.com

Subject: Dukes in Connecticut

Author:
CoachL
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Sunday, October 14, 07:42:29pm

5 minutes into the 2nd quarter

on so many levels...

[> Subject: Re: Dukes in Connecticut

Author:
CoachL
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, October 13, 12:50:30pm

I wrote: "HEAVY SIGH on so many levels"

[> [> Subject: Re: Dukes in Connecticut

Author:
CLK
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, October 13, 01:27:44pm

Here is a free video link for the game.

http://necfrontrow.com/webcast.php/CCSU-53/

Author:
CoachL
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, October 13, 03:00:47pm

Dukes dug themselves into far too deep a hole.

-SMH-

Blue Devils 38
Dukes 31

Author:
Shoey
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, October 13, 03:06:13pm

As flat as a Duquesne team coming out for a game as I have ever seen. 38 points to CCSU?????? Couldnt stop the run.......end of story.

[> [> [> Subject: Re: Dukes in Connecticut

Author:
Me
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, October 13, 03:16:11pm

Very disappointing loss.

Author:
DukeFanForever
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, October 13, 03:37:24pm

awe..such a sad loss.....too many missed opportunities....I feel sorry for the coaches.

Author:
shoey
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, October 13, 07:22:52pm

The coaches?????? Honestly the dumbest statement ever on this forum. They had 2 weeks to prepare and gave up 500 total yards to a team that hadn't won a game.I feel sorry for them too.....completely outcoached..300 yards rushing to that team.....embarrassing.

[> [> [> Subject: Re: Dukes in Connecticut

Author:
DukeFanForever
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Sunday, October 14, 12:59:45pm

Hey Shoey,

Stupid is as stupid says.....however...If the coaches have a game plan and call plays that the players repeatedly do NOT execute....how can you NOT feel a little for the coaches who are working endless hours trying to teach these plays? And who are trying so hard to build this football program. Maybe the team needs to try harder to stay focused.? Still... I love this team anyway.

[> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Dukes in Connecticut

Author:
shoey
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Sunday, October 14, 07:42:29pm

Sorry Miss....so basically you want us to feel sorry because the players don't listen to their coaches??? That's called coaching.....as a coach the day I need people to feel sorry for me because my players don't listen to me is the day I retire. This team has given up over 500 yards rushing in their too losses....maybe we should stop feeling sorry for ourselves and stop the run. We scored 31 points Without the best) in school history......we should win the game. Maybe next time the other team has their qb on the field for the fg we will know its a fake.....heck we have been working so hard we should know that.....a team is about accountability both players and coach...sorry but will never feel sorry for a coach.... I am accountable for everything in my program. Don't expect u to agree. We simply weren't prepared for this game...move on

Subject: Dukes' Future Opponents and more

Author:
Always a Duke
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, October 13, 03:08:47pm

My sources have informed me that the Dukes have entered a contract to play at Youngstown State (currently ranked #3 in both The Sports Network and the FCS Coaches Polls) in 2013 and 2014. The Dukes will also play Dayton in 2013 and Georgia Southern (currently ranked #8 in The Sports Network and #9 in the FCS Coaches Polls) in 2014.

Here's where the Dukes stand after 5 games. The Dukes are tied with Albany for 1st place in the NEC. Both Real Time RPI and Sagarin rank the Dukes' strength of schedule (SoS) last of all teams in the NEC. A significant part of that low SoS can be attributed to the records of three of the Dukes' opponents: Dayton, 1-4 (0-2); Valparaiso, 0-4 (0-1); and NEC member, Bryant, 0-5 (0-3). Although the Dukes and Central Conn. State have byes this coming weekend, Real Time RPI predicts the Dukes will beat Central Conn. State on October 13th by a score of 32-16. Sagarin favors the the Dukes by only 8.32 points against the 0-5 (0-2) Blue Devils at their homecoming.

[> Subject: Re: Dukes' Future Opponents and more

Author:
Coffee
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Friday, October 05, 07:31:04pm

Dukes are running with the big dogs..l

[> [> Subject: Re: Dukes' Future Opponents and more

Author:
shoey
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Wednesday, October 10, 09:52:22am

Dukes are scheduling the big dogs. We aren't running with them. To do that you have to have summer scholarships keep the kids here on weight training and meal pograms. All the scheduling is for $ to go get massacred because your not prepared to play teams that stay together all summer.

[> [> [> Subject: Re: Dukes' Future Opponents and more

Author:
Coffee
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, October 13, 11:07:01am

I like playing as the underdog. We will never be able to invest in our program as some other programs do and I don't think we should go overboard. I'd go with the following investmet levels...

1. 59 scholarships. This would allow us to play a big "payday" game each year to lean from the best. This would be at the 90% rate that would allow a BCS team to schedule us without hurting their bowl chances. The payday may pay a good portion of the increase.

2. A 5,000 seat horseshoe designed Rooney Field. This would bring more to the game, help recruiting, and Is realistically doable. The press box must be expanded. Not press, no coverage, no help to recruiting. Make it a three level box with access from a walkway from an expended grandstand in the back. Turn the snack shop around to face the street or under an expanded grandstand. Take the presidents club and put it above the building in the East Endzone with boxes.

3. Re-establish a marching band. If every high school in the area can, so can Duquesne with its great music program. How many great band kids don't come here because there is no band???

Otherwise, we have considerable potential.

[> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Dukes' Future Opponents and more

Author:
Shoey
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, October 13, 03:08:47pm

Everything sounds great but until we keep our core players in Pittsburgh for the summer we won't compete with the big dogs no matter what else we do. It is about the Jimmys and Joes and when ours arent familiar and as strong as those serious FCS teams the first few games your asking for trouble "L"s and injuries.

Subject: Larry McCoy

Author:
Duke from way back
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Monday, October 08, 09:11:17pm

To all...Duquesne football has been around for a hundred years. I have been around a long time too. I just feel priveleged to watch one of the greatest of all time. This week he will become THE greatest of all time assuming he has his typical game against CCS. I'm not sure but I think he needs about 130-150 to do it. I'm sorry I will miss it but we need to give this kid a standing ovation when he comes back against Sacred Heart. He has been the best, the steadiest , most durable back I have ever seen on the bluff. He is apparently a great kid and leader. He has been the main cog which has taken this machine to new heights. Godspeed Larry McCoy on Saturday.

[> Subject: Re: Larry McCoy

Author:
Duke from way back
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Monday, October 08, 02:10:49pm

Sorry for the misspelling of privilege. The number appears to be 158yds. He may get it in Conn or he may not..my bet is on him doing it against a relatively week run defense but you never know.

[> [> Subject: Re: Larry McCoy

Author:
Coffee
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Monday, October 08, 09:11:17pm

Great post... Couldn't agree more. GO LARRY!

Subject: Dukes win 24-21

Author:
Me
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, September 29, 05:46:24pm

I just returned home from the game. I had a great time. Met up with some old friends. Went to the tailgate party.

Couldn't find a seat and had to stand the first half. It was crowded.

We had a great time. They ran all over us and we somehow won. That is two games in a row we had to stuggle to beat lower level NEC teams. But we won, so all is good.

[> Subject: Re: Dukes win 24-21

Author:
Shoey
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Sunday, September 30, 12:43:48am

Nice to see a great crowd.....a win is a win but it is just so obvious that when our offense opens it up we are so much better. 10/15 on 3rd down and most of those were run/run/pass. Just my two cents but we won't push around Albany and Monmouth.....3rd and long is just too much to ask aall the time. When the whole stadium knows Larry is getting the ball on first down and Sean ends up 3rd and long all the time.....we need to be leSs predictable. Let's take the handcuffs off and play to win.....playing not to lose is why we are having close games to teams we are 2 touchdowns better than. Hopefully the bye week gets us some film study.

Subject: HOMECOMING 2012

Author:
Judge Jack McVay Jr
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, September 29, 12:08:47pm

Hello everyone! Just got caught up on blog and messages and reminding everyone that this week is Homeecoming with lots of activities including player reunion the night before at Cupka's! Thanks offe for hanging in there! We will get there! J McVay

[> Subject: Re: HOMECOMING 2012

Author:
Shoey
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Thursday, September 27, 02:40:56am

I hope we have a great homecoming...beat up on the Flash. Mccoy and Patterson have a good chance of moving up the lasser and passing some Duke greats...I hope they announce those feats and there are a lot of former players there because rthose are quite some feats!!!!espescially gaining those yards and passing tds in the tough NEC Go dukes!! /o Dukes

[> [> Subject: Re: HOMECOMING 2012

Author:
Duke Nukem
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, September 29, 12:08:47pm

The Dukes need to take the Flash seriously today. They seem to have a good offense going.

GO DUKES!

Subject: Dukes vs. Bryant

Author:
Always a Duke
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, September 22, 05:00:55pm

Broadcast of game on WMNY 1360 AM Radio started on time.

Unfortunately the Dukes' defense let Bryant march down the field on its first possession and score. Bryant 7, Dukes 0 early in 1st quarter.

Dukes are moving the ball equally as well on its first possession. However, the Dukes are stopped near goal line and miss a relatively close field goal.

[> Subject: Re: Dukes vs. Bryant

Author:
Always a Duke
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, September 22, 02:18:50pm

Half time score:

Dukes 14
Bryant 14

At the end of the 2nd Q the Dukes were called for roughing the kicker on Bryant's field goal try which was successful. Bryant accepts penalty, resulting in taking 3 pts off the scoreboard. It then proceeds to score a TD on a pass to tie the Dukes with less than 1 minute to go in the 1st half.

[> [> Subject: Re: Dukes vs. Bryant

Author:
Me
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, September 22, 03:47:27pm

It has been a good game. Bryant almost put this game away.

Huge fumble recovery. I am glad they got the radio problems figured out because I like listening to the games.

[> [> [> Subject: Re: Dukes vs. Bryant

Author:
Coffee
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, September 22, 03:52:00pm

Sorry "Me". Didn't mean ti step on your post. I came back to the computer and it didn't refreash.

[> [> Subject: Re: Dukes vs. Bryant

Author:
Always a Duke
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, September 22, 05:00:55pm

Larry "the Real" McCoy with runs of 54 yards (3:53 to go in game) and 7 yards (at the 2:08 mark) puts the Dukes ahead 35 to 21. Dukes stop Bryant mid-field in their desperate attempt to score with 0:23 left in game. Dukes 3-1 (1-0) win their first NEC game which included a few deuces:

1. Two interceptions by the Dukes.

2. Two fumble recoveries by the Dukes of which one was at the Dukes' 2 yd. line.

3. Two blocked punts by Bryant.

2. Two point conversion by the Dukes to give the Dukes a 28-21 lead at the 3:53 mark of the 4th Q.

McCoy ran for 154 yds. for a 5.9 per carry average. Bryant's talented running back, Jorden Brown, ran for 105 yds (3.8 yds. average).

Way to go Dukes! They certainly had me on the edge of my seat as I listened to the broadcast. Therre were some defensive lapses

Subject: Dukes Come Back vs. Bryant With Two Minutes Left

Author:
Coffee
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, September 22, 04:19:24pm

The turning point was the Bryant fumbel at the Duke's goal line. They had a chance to really put the game almost out of reach. A big ten point swing with the Dukes driving for a field goal. The Dukes took the ball, the momentum and the game right there.

Dukes up by two scores with 2 mins . left.

[> Subject: Re: Dukes Come Back vs. Bryant With Two Minutes Left

Author:
Me
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, September 22, 03:57:40pm

It was a good game. I don't know what it means for the rest of the season. Im just happy they won.

[> Subject: Re: Dukes Come Back vs. Bryant With Two Minutes Left

Author:
Shoey
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, September 22, 04:19:24pm

In McCoy and Patterson we trust!!!!...........they own the 4th quarter!!!! Senior leadership!!!! alot of other guys made plays..............BUT there is a great argument this might be the best qb/rb duo in History of Duquesne football. Go Dukes

Subject: 2012 Dukes

Author:
shoey
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, September 22, 03:46:03pm

The team is 2-1 as I suspected but the rest of the season depends on whether The staff plays to win a championship or just be conservative. McCoy, PaTterson, Kona are three of the top ten players in league.....3 times this staff has had a opportunity on 4th and short (ODu) worst call in duquesne football history and twice on short 4th downs against worst team in Fcs......all three times they chose to take the ez way out......I think the players have the guts to carry it out.......but if the coaches play scared we wont get that 4th and 1 against Albany.....are we all in????? Grow some!!!!!!!!!

[> Subject: Re: 2012 Dukes

Author:
412 Express
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Monday, September 17, 07:42:12am

I agree Shoey. Hindsight is 20/20 but 2 of those 3 4th downs we should have went for. It sends a message to your oline especially on 4th and short that the coach doesn't have the confidence in you to make it, big morale loss. Although I can see the hesitation, this year's line has shown promise but doesn't have the "mesh" that last year's veteran laiden line had.

Also, listening to the game what troubled me the most is the defense. I thought they were the strength of the Dukes this year. I think they still are and can be but a very disappointing showing against valpo. Gotta pick it up heading into the conference, there are no valpo's in the NEC this year

[> [> Subject: Re: 2012 Dukes

Author:
Shoey
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Monday, September 17, 03:31:02pm

412- One great play by that offensive line could give them the confidence they need.......i think the 4th and 1 at ODU was honestly the worst message I have ever seen a coach send to his team....Valpo should be automatic just like it was for ODU against us....this team is starting to gel....the D made adjustments but the first half was ugly. We only throw the ball 10 times in the first half?????? our guy is 66% 5th year senior.....just dont like the mindset of the staff......let the guys play and let it all hang out.

[> [> [> Subject: Re: 2012 Dukes

Author:
Me
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, September 22, 03:46:03pm

I have listened all day long in the car and now in my house.

Glad to HEAR the game. And glad we may have pulled this one out.

Subject: Radio Delay and Other Complaints

Author:
Coffee
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Sunday, September 16, 10:09:15am

I've done my share of whining on this board but yesterday's delay in the radio broadcast was due to the airlines and not the Athletic Dept., Redzone, WMNY or the broadcasters. Alex and Tadd's flight was pushed way back and they busted their ails getting there at all.

I almost shut this Forum down along with the blog a couple weeks back over the frustration of the lack of vision from the athletic department for football. They see see running football as the same thing as running a field hockey team. No offense to field gockey, but GA doesn't come from a Division 1 school that even had a football team (X).

We don't need and can't support the hoopla of Beaver Stadium but we sure could do a bit better than the less than high school number of grandstands and real band that doesn't even let the crowd know when the Narional Anthem is being played because they can't be heard. When St. francis can field a marching band and Robert Morris can put up a real press box and La Salle can tack together a playing field where the visitors aren't sitting on park benches and concrete slabs, Duquesne can obviously do better. La Salle doesn't even field a team any more.

We draw the least in D 1 because we don't create a real football experience. I don't mean Baggo and frisbee dogs. Any Western PA high school knows the formula... GA does not.

[> Subject: Re: Radio Delay and Other Complaints

Author:
Me
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Sunday, September 16, 01:42:40pm

Not once when I was listening to the first 30 minutes on WMNY (thinking I had the game time wrong) did they say they were having difficulties or what the reason was there was no DU football broadcast.

It was only when I checked Yahoo sports did I realize the game was actually going on.

I'm sorry but this does reflect poorly on the athletic department and the level of any real support they give football. At least, if WMNY would have acknowledged the problem over the air it would have been nice.

Why is this outside of the control of the Athletic Director? Why isn't someone in Pittsburgh monitoring WMNY and whether or not the game is on?

Why do DU fans that want to listen be subjected to this crap over and over? 2 broadcasts out of 3 this season. That is 67%. Problems are the norm, not the exception.

Again, I have listened to North Hills Indians High School football games at home on Friday nights for the better part of ten years. I can NEVER recall this happening to them.

Of course, the people at North Hills care about their football program and putting out a quality product.

Subject: Dukes win, 45-17, over Valpo

Author:
Always a Duke
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, September 15, 04:39:34pm

Dukes turn the game around in the 2nd Q and run away with it in second half. Way to go, Dukes! Bryant (0-3) will be next week's opponent.

[> Subject: Re: Dukes win, 45-17, over Valpo

Author:
Me
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, September 15, 08:00:16pm

Bryant is 0-3. They lost to Maine from the CAA this weekend.

Subject: Valparaiso, the Dukes' Next Opponent

Author:
Always a Duke
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Wednesday, September 12, 06:44:01pm

The Sports Network recently did an article about the five worst programs in all of FCS. One of those select five is none other than Valparaiso, the Dukes' next and last non-conference opponent. Note that this is the second game of the home and home agreement with Valpo. It's unlikely that you'll see Crusaders on any of the Dukes' future schedules.

"Valparaiso - Arguably Division I's worst program, the Crusaders from the non- scholarship Pioneer Football League have lost 32 of their last 33 games. But third-year coach Dale Carlson has solved some of the program's funding and recruiting problems and thrown young players like quarterback Eric Hoffman and running back Gabe Ali-El, who started as freshman a year ago, into the mix. That's a good start for him."

Last Saturday Valpo lost to Youngstown State by a score of 56-0. Albany, who is in its final year of play in the NEC, will be playing Youngstown State this weekend. This game should give us an idea of how tough Albany really is.

Here's a link to The Sports Network's entire article: Link.

Subject: MORE COFFEE ANYONE?

Author:
Coffee
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Wednesday, September 12, 04:11:29pm

The Blog and Forum will continue. I finished the ODU write up/Dayton article follows.

Gutty performance against the Flyers and ODU. This team deserves a blog and forum.

[> Subject: Re: MORE COFFEE ANYONE?

Author:
ME
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Sunday, September 09, 12:11:24pm

I had trouble listening to the game on the radio. I tuned in at 12:00 and 12:15 and at about 12:25 to 1360 and there was some medical show on.

I'd tuned back in for the fourth quarter and I was finally able to get the game. Was it just me or did others have problems?

Glad they pulled it out. Albany stopped RMU. They will be tough to beat. St. Francis beat Bryant which was a surprise.

[> [> Subject: Re: Audio & Video of Dayton game

Author:
CoachL
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Sunday, September 09, 12:49:56pm

The radio guys stated a few times during the game that they were having technical difficulties, but I was able to listen to most of the game here on the Left Coast over the internet via the WMNY site. The sound quality was poor, but listenable. I gave up on the RedZoneMedia link.

The video feed was absolutely useless. Third-world countries provide better streaming video than that.

This on-campus web-cam: http://165.190.26.185/view/viewer_index.shtml?id=11682

provides a far better video feed than what we get for Duquesne Football. It's a disgrace.

[> [> [> Subject: Re: Audio & Video of Dayton game

Author:
Always a Duke
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Wednesday, September 12, 04:11:29pm

It was my understanding that the Duquesne Athletic Dept. senior staff discussed these problems at length on Monday and also spoke to WMNY-AM Radio staff about eliminating the poor sound quality of the radio broadcast experienced at the beginning and during of the Dukes-Daytom football games for the remainder of the football season. Also a promise was made by the Athletic Dept. to correct the problems with the video broadcast as well. Note that I forwarded Coach L's and Coffee's comments to the Athletic Dept. that appeared on this forum.

[> Subject: Re: This team deserves a blog and forum

Author:
CoachL
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Sunday, September 09, 12:52:51pm

Yup!

"Welcome back, welcome back, welcome back!"

[> [> Subject: Re: This team deserves a blog and forum

Author:
Me
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Sunday, September 09, 05:35:57pm

Well for a while there I only thought it was me. No use in complaining about it, no one at that University cares.

Subject: Pitt, Gardner-Webb and Duquesne

Author:
Coffee
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Sunday, September 09, 01:34:51pm

I just ran a computer rating comparison on Computerrating.com and Duquesne was simulater to win 23-17 over Gardner-Webb.

Pitt should pull their game against Gardner Webb for maybe their only winn of the season but the Dukes would give them a better game.

Subject: A win is a win

Author:
CoachL
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, September 08, 08:33:00pm

Duquesne 17 - Dayton 7

A win is a win is a win, however...

The Dukes and their coaching staff seriously need to put the pieces together on this team or else it is going to be a long season.

I know that people are hurt. I know that young guys are getting playing time (a good thing), but the Dukes have GOT to start executing for four full quarters.

Duquesne may be able to get by Valparaiso next week without a complete effort from everybody, but the NEC schedule is a different story. (For the record, I hope that the Dukes CRUSH Valpo. 52-or-more to 0 would be nice.)

The talent is there. I'm sure the will is there. The execution has not been. As a coach, I put that responsibility square upon the shoulders of the coaching staff. The difference will be between an undefeated NEC season and a trip to the playoffs, or a middle-of-the-pack finish in the NEC and the thoughts of what could have been.

To the team and to the coaches I say, "It's there for the taking, gentlemen. Don't waste this opportunity!"

GO DUKES!

Subject: PLAYCALL????

Author:
Duke Nukem
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, September 08, 12:30:38pm

Ok, Third on one on Dayton's 8 yard line... Don't you think a first and goal at the 7 is the objective???

No... Take a chance and throw it into endzone so you have to kick a field goal if it does not work. Bad coaching!

By the way, why did they ever bring back Loebig and let go of Loya? Loebig is the worst coach the Dukes ever had in his inability to communicate with the players and his sense of football strategy.

[> Subject: Re: PLAYCALL????

Author:
Shoey
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, September 08, 01:20:44pm

Didnt want to say I told you about Loebig.......just a bad Karma guy

Subject: Head Coach Jerry Schmitt Radio Show starts tonight at 7:00 p.m. on ESPN Radio 970

Author:
Always a Duke
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Thursday, September 06, 04:52:11pm

Hey Dukes' football fans, here's an opportunity to raise some of those issues that have left you wondering about what's going on with the Dukes or about the Dukes' next opponent, Dayton. Click here.

Subject: Blog' and Forum's Future

Author:
Coffee
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Wednesday, September 05, 09:29:58pm

I started to write the game article after the ODU loss but could not finish. Sorry guys, my heart wasn't in it yet for this year. I'm tired of doing things like trying to get the challenge trophy together and getting blank stares from the Duquesen Athletic Department. Other universities link to blogs that support the program, ours just pretends we don't exist.

We have a Rivals cite that I've been posting on with articles getting re-posted on yahoo nation wide but I got turned down for a press pass last time I asked. The blog and forum and Rivals Cite had well over 150,000 hits since started... but I'm just tired of trying...

[> Subject: Re: Blog' and Forum's Future

Author:
Shoey
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Tuesday, September 04, 12:34:53am

Coffee- agree!!! how do you think the players feel having to take a 13 hour bus ride.....they got lost.....the day before game. Leading the lambs to slaughter set up for failure......but they got their 75k and soggy sub sandwiches for the way home.....we have just had great players and guys who cared no support from AD.

[> [> Subject: Re: Blog' and Forum's Future

Author:
412 Express
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Tuesday, September 04, 08:15:34am

I see where youre coming from, but I for one have appreciated this blog for the past few seasons. I moved out of the area upon graduation and was out of the loop until my return a few months ago. This blog kept me updated on the NEC title run last year and I am very happy I didn't miss it!

The marketing department is the same ol song and dance. A former player in Jay Spinks is involved in the media aspect of the marketing dept and is taking a big step in the right direction with the youtube highlights and social media outlets. But the school needs to push for student support, make home games something to do instead of just something to watch for a few minutes while you walk down academic-walk.

In my opinion, nothing gets better until a respectable stadium, more specifically grandstands, are built.

Author:
Bleu
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Tuesday, September 04, 12:50:04pm

Coffee...Whatever you started...please finish it. This blog has been much appreciated. I visit here often, for guys like you, Shoey and Always a Duke to make sense out of things. I always look forward to your pre-game commentary as well as post game summary. You keep us all in the know. You get it...and us Duke fans out here depend on you ! Thanks for everything you do to support a great group of kids ! They are our Dukes !!

Author:
CoachL
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Tuesday, September 04, 12:55:04pm

Coffee, I feel your frustration.

However...

You just have to ask yourself, "For whom am I doing this?"

Is it for the Duquesne Athletic Department?

...Or is it for the boys in the Duquesne jerseys who are busting their tails every day for the privilege of representing Duquesne University out on the football field?

...Or is it for every guy who has ever put on the Duquesne jersey over the years?

...Or is it for every Duquesne fan who bleeds red & blue?

...Or is it for every parent who sacrificed so much so that their child could attend this outstanding institution on The Bluff?

I'm just one person, but I can tell you that your blog and this forum are my most significant (non-family) connections to Duquesne and the Dukes, and their loss would be a significant blow to the football program and to those of us who have to follow the Dukes from afar.

Author:
Bleu
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Tuesday, September 04, 04:11:20pm

Coach L - sorry I forgot to include you. Thanks for your great input to all the discusson. Missed you lately.

[> [> [> Subject: Re: Blog' and Forum's Future

Author:
Shoey
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Wednesday, September 05, 01:27:34pm

Coffee- Maybe you could just start interviewing the players, families, close friends, alumni. If you keep on blasting yourself over something that is never going to change unless we get a young, dynamic coach in here it will be the same. Those people appreciate your work.
For those kids to drive 13 hours the DAY BEFORE a game they had minimal chnace to win and get soggy sub sanswhiches on a horrible charter flight.......that was inexcusable. Then be fed to the lions unprepared.

Author:
Carl
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Tuesday, September 04, 01:05:36pm

Please keep up the good work. Your articles are very well appreciated. I am a season ticket holder for both football and basketball and appreciate reading all of your comments.

Author:
Coffee
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Tuesday, September 04, 09:26:37pm

Guys, Thanks for the kind words. I guess I felt like it didn't make a difference for the time it took. Writing should be a labor of love (if its for free). I do enjoy writing and I care about the Dukes to a point that it really bothers me to see what could be but isn't.

[> [> [> Subject: Re: Blog' and Forum's Future

Author:
Duke from way back
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Wednesday, September 05, 11:20:01am

Coffee, your work here is invaluable and you are a pioneer of sorts. The way you use the social media. I'm sorry you are not given the respect you deserve. My thought is that for every person who posts, 30 to 50 people observe the posts. I rarely post but ALWAYS log on. For all us, stay the course, please.

Author:
Bugaboo
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Wednesday, September 05, 01:46:13pm

I'm a Duke football mom and my son is actively playing. I have not posted but certainly do appreciate reading your posts. I learn alot. There is very little information out there. Please don't ever feel that your posts go unnoticed.
It's disappointing how little Duquesne does to promote their program and players. These boys give it their all and hold their heads up high, proud to be a "Duke".
I wish the school itself could support that more.

Author:
A83
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Wednesday, September 05, 09:29:58pm

I do not post very often because I have felt Coffee's frustration with the AD and the school in general. I was a super fan and attended many sports.

I understand your pain and frustration. Although I do not support DU athletics anymore physically or monetarily, I would really miss this blog.

You do great work. I support your final decision no matter what it is.

Subject: Dorian Bell

Author:
DonoraDan
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Wednesday, September 05, 05:58:09pm

What happened to Dorian Bell? On roster but didn't play against OD? No mentioned in DU press articles.

[> Subject: Re: Dorian Bell

Author:
Always a Duke
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Wednesday, September 05, 08:10:38pm

There was an inadvertent violation of an NCAA rule regarding the use of a coach's parking pass which was reported to the NCAA by Duquesne's rules compliance officer. I was under the impression that there was a meeting with the NCAA on either Thursday or Friday to discuss the circumstances surrounding the infraction. Following the meeting those representing Duquesne had the impression that the NCAA would not be imposing a one-game suspension on Dorian Bell. However, the NCAA ruled that a one-game suspension was appropriate.

It sounds like this was clearly a chicken s_ _t call on the part of the NCAA to impose such a sanction. Dorian will be available for the Dayton game.

Main index ] [ Archives: 1[2]345678910 ]

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a new public message:
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
* Message subject (required):

* Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Choose Message Icon: [ View Emoticons ]

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2016 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.