VoyForums

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12345[6]78910 ]

DUQUESNE DUKES FOOTBALL FORUM
~DUQUESNE DUKES FOOTBALL FORUM~
This forum is for discussion of Duquesne Football since other excellent Duquesne Basketball forums exist. (Links below). It is also open to all Duquesne sponsored or club sports.Duquesne sponsors: Basketball (M/W), Cross Country (M/W), Football, Soccer (M/W), Swimming (W), Tennis (M/W), Track and Field (M/W), LaCrosse (W), Crew (W), Volleyball (W). Club Sports include Ice Hockey and Men's Crew. Some posts on this Forum may be re-posted on the Duquesne Football Blog (See Duquesnesports.blogspot.com). This is a discussionforum where you are a guest. Treat others as you would like to be treated. No foul language, using another's moniker or personal attacks. Character on the field and on this forum reflects upon Duquesne. Links to this site are encouraged. Feedback is welcome. -Coffee

~OTHER DUQUESNE LINKS~

*COFFEE'S DUQUESNE FOOTBALL BLOG*
*OFFICIAL Northeast Conference Football SITE*
*The Sports Network FCS Page*
*USA Today Sagarin Division I College Football Rankings*
*Real Time RPI Division 1 College Football Rankings*
*College Football Data Warehouse*
*ESPN Radio Northeast Conference Notebook*

Subject: Bryant at Albany

Author:
Always a Duke
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, November 05, 11:52:35pm

Bryant is up 3-0 (40 yd, FG) after intercepting an Albany in the 1st Q. Albany missed its first FG attempt. Bryant moves the ball to Albany's 2 yd line.

Bryant scores TD with 4:58 in 1st Q. Now leads 10-0.

Listen to the radio broadcast of the game:click here.

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[> Subject: Re: Bryant at Albany

Author:
Always a Duke
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, November 05, 01:43:00pm

Bryant 10 - Albany 7 in 2nd Q with 12:30 to go.

[> [> Subject: Re: Bryant at Albany

Author:
Always a Duke
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, November 05, 02:02:32pm

Damn, Albany goes up 17-10 with 3:55 to go in 2nd Q.

[> [> [> Subject: Re: Bryant at Albany

Author:
Coffee
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, November 05, 02:15:44pm

At the Half- Albany 17 Bryant 10. Albany's announcer sounds like a younger Harry Carrie.

[> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Bryant at Albany

Author:
Always a Duke
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, November 05, 02:28:41pm

Other NEC scores:

At the half:

Sacred Heart 14 Wagner 7
Monmouth 27 St Francis 17

In the 4th Q:

Central Conn St. 27 Bobby Mo 17

[> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Bryant at Albany

Author:
Always a Duke
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, November 05, 02:36:47pm

Correction: Central Conn. St. is up 28-17 over Robert Morris with 10:35 minutes to go in the game. Bobby Mo's QB,Jeff Sinclair, was knocked out of the game with an injury.

[> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Bryant at Albany

Author:
Marquis
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, November 05, 02:46:36pm

BRYANT TIES IT UP IN THE 3RD 17-17!

[> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Bryant at Albany

Author:
Always a Duke
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, November 05, 02:46:36pm

There's still some bite left in the Bulldogs. Early in the 3rd Q: Bryant 17 Albany 17

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Bryant at Albany

Author:
Always a Duke
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, November 05, 02:54:49pm

Bryant will not be denied. Now up 24 to 17!

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Bryant at Albany

Author:
Coffee
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, November 05, 03:00:04pm

Beat me to it AAD- GO BRYANT!

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Bryant at Albany

Author:
Always a Duke
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, November 05, 03:19:27pm

Bow, Wow, Wow! GO Bulldogs! Score again in the 4th Q. Bryant - 31 Albany - 17

7:03 left in the 4th Q.

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Bryant at Albany

Author:
Marquis
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, November 05, 03:38:55pm

Albany blocks a kick that would have put the Bulldogs up by three scores. Under 2 minutes left though.

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Bryant at Albany

Author:
Always a Duke
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, November 05, 03:49:05pm

Final score: Bryant 31 Albany 17
Great win by the Bulldogs! This was the help that the Dukes needed. Now we hope that Albany loses one of their remaining two games. The Dukes, of course, have to beat Sacred Heart and Bobby Mo.

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Bryant at Albany

Author:
Fr. Straub
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, November 05, 11:52:35pm

It's great to be in a race again!

Subject: If we only knew...

Author:
Marquis
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, November 05, 03:32:47am

Duquesne had things too easy winning the MAAC. Had we known that the conference championship would probablt be decided at Albany, the Dukes would have more matched the Great Dane's intensity from the start. Albany knew what it takes.

[> Subject: Re: If we only knew...

Author:
shoey
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Friday, November 04, 07:04:04pm

Marquis- I think the Dukes were ready....bad game plan of trying to bully the Danes. Shoulda went after em early like they did in the third. Played not to lose instead of going and taking the conference. Oh well Go Bryant!!!!

[> [> Subject: Re: If we only knew...

Author:
Always a Duke
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, November 05, 03:32:47am

Let's hope that the Bryant Bulldogs bite the Great Danes on the ass this afternoon. Here's an analysis of Albany's game with Bryant from The Sports Network. I have to hope that Bryant can get the job done in what looks to be a very close game.

Bryant Bulldogs (5-3, 3-2 NEC) at Albany Great Danes (6-2, 5-0), 1 p.m.

Series record: Tied, 1-1

Last meeting: at Bryant 24, Albany 7 (Oct. 30, 2010)

What to know: Two of the Northeast Conference's best tailbacks will be going at it in this game. Bryant's Jordan Brown, a recent addition to the Walter Payton Award Watch List, leads all FCS players in rushing yards (163.5 ypg), while Albany's Andrew Smith carried the ball often last week for 149 yards in a 24-0 win against Wagner.

Of course, the Great Danes don't plan on losing any NEC games, but if they were, this would be the easiest one to drop and not hurt their playoff hopes. Since Bryant is ineligible for the playoffs, Albany would still remain on top of the NEC standings.

The history between the two teams is a short one, but with Albany's success this season and Bryant's insertion as a full NEC member next season could turn this game into a budding rivalry.

Prediction: Albany 27, Bryant 24

Subject: Dukes' Men's Soccer Team Makes Big Turn-around

Author:
Always a Duke
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Thursday, November 03, 09:54:30am

The Dukes men's soccer team got off to a lousy start this season but have turned things around with their 4 consecutive A-10 wins. Tribune-Review article.

The Dukes are now in 4th place in the A-10 with only two away games against Richmond & GW on Friday and Sunday remaining to close out the regular season. The Dukes have been red hot the last four games scoring 16 goals and giving up only one. Should the Dukes win these last two games, they would end up with 19 pts. There is a remote possibility that the Dukes could finish in 1st place should Charlotte (currently in 1st) also lose its only game and Fordham (currently in 2nd)loses one of its two 2 remaining games. This would be a phenomenal finish from where the Dukes were three weeks ago. The 1st and 2nd place finishers get byes in the A-10 tournie. Teams finishing 3rd - 6th play in the quarterfinals.

Subject: Serge suges ahead in NEC: Defensive Player of Week

Author:
Always a Duke
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Tuesday, November 01, 08:10:51am

Dukes' Serge Kona gets some recognition in the NEC:
Click here.

Dukes are listed in 10/31/11 The Sports Network (TSN) Poll among "others receiving votes" along with NEC rival, Albany:
Click here for poll.

[> Subject: Re: Serge suges ahead in NEC: Defensive Player of Week

Author:
Always a Duke
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Monday, October 31, 03:43:59pm

Here's the link for the NEC announcement of Serge Kona's selection as Co-Defensive player of the Week.

[> [> Subject: Re: Serge suges ahead in NEC: Defensive Player of Week

Author:
Shaler Tom
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Tuesday, November 01, 08:10:51am

Well deserved. Serge played a monster game!

Subject: A bit from the Blog

Author:
Coffee
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Monday, October 31, 02:14:06pm

The Duquesne Dukes and the Halloween Week Snow Storm combined to shut out the Monmouth Hawks 16-0 in a game where Duquesne made the most of what the Hawks and the storm would give them.

Both team's star running backs were able plow their way over over 100 yards with Larry McCoy gainind 110 yards on 35 carries while Hawks freshman running back Julian Hayes rushed for a just a bit more for 114 yards on 34 carries.

Duquesne's Sean Patterson was able to better manage the weather from the beginning by leading an opening 9 play, 72 yard drive finished by Patterson's 19 yard touchdown run. Charlie Leventry's extra point was blocked, but the Dukes didn't need to score another point with the defense effectively shutting down the Monmouth offense which committed a season high 4 turnovers in the cold and sloppy conditions.

The rest of the article is at the Blog (See link above)

[> Subject: Re: A bit from the Blog

Author:
Coffee
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Sunday, October 30, 10:51:31am

Denny/CLK- If it is allowed, feel free to post any material you want from the Blog to the Scout Site. Anything to get things out to Duquesne fans.

Author:
Shaler Tom
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Sunday, October 30, 12:11:12pm

A good win in terrible conditions....maybe the worst we've seen in a long time. The defense was superb and gave us the edge in the battle of field position. After the opening drive fumble, the Dukes held onto the ball while MU turned it over 4 times. A well deserved week off before Sacred Heart. Go Dukes!!!

Author:
Judge Jack McVay Jr
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Monday, October 31, 02:14:06pm

Tough win against tough opponent under tough conditions! Nothing more to say than be Proud of Our Dukes!Jack

Subject: Weather @ Monmouth

Author:
CoachL
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, October 29, 04:30:20pm

Low 40s, steady rain, and 20+ mph winds forecasted for game time.

YIKES!

The only positive here is that both teams will be playing under the same awful conditions.

The toughest, more disciplined team wins this one. I hope that team is Duquesne.

GO DUKES!

[> Subject: Grammar

Author:
CoachL
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, October 29, 11:18:48am

Extra credit to those of you who spotted the grammatical error in my prior post! Take comfort in the fact that I'm not a Duquesne grad.

"The toughER, more disciplined team wins this one."

[> Subject: Duquesne 16 - Monmouth 0

Author:
CoachL
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, October 29, 03:24:44pm

The tougher, more disciplined team won today.

Congratulations DUKES!!!

[> [> Subject: Re: Duquesne 16 - Monmouth 0

Author:
Marquis
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, October 29, 04:15:35pm

Great win in bad conditions! The Dukes won by tough play and cutting out mistakes.

[> Subject: Re: Weather @ Monmouth

Author:
Shoey
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, October 29, 04:30:20pm

Ice rain.......impossible conditions Dukes would not be denied and made plays both Offensively and defensively. Gutsy players on both sides!!!! safe trip back Dukes

Subject: Dukes beat Monmouth and the Weather, 16-0

Author:
Always a Duke
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, October 29, 03:21:19pm

Way to play Dukes! Have a safe trip back to the Burgh.

Subject: Connor Dixon

Author:
Shaler Tom
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Friday, October 28, 02:35:42pm

After Wagner drove the length of the short field to go up 7-0, many in the crowd I'm sure thought that this could be a repeat of the Albany game. Wagner was stopping Larry McCoy on the first two possessions and the Duke's were forced to punt. That's what happens when you become predictable and the defense puts eight in the box. Deja Vu all over again.

Then, they decided to do something new, different, out of the ordinary. They threw on first and second down to a receiver that can't be stopped.

I know that the newspapers will talk about Larry McCoy and his 150 yards or Sean Patterson's 25/35 performance or Charlie Leventry's record breaking field goal....all tremendous efforts, but the player that changes the game is Connor Dixon.

It seems to me that when the Duke's need a spark or when the chips are down, they go to one guy, even if it means forcing the ball to him in double coverage. He usually comes through.

Today he was going up against a Player of the Week in DB Jarret Dieudonne, a Purdue recruit that has been owning the NEC. Dixon made the kid look silly. So much so that the Seahawks spread their safties a little wider which opened the door for Larry McCoy. And so it goes.

On the season, Dixon has quietly amassed 11 TD's trailing only Cory McCaffrey of Portland St. for the FCS lead. Five more and he will be in the company of Bruce Hocker and Reggie Harris for the most in DU history. Did I mention that he already holds the DU record for TD passes THROWN in a game. (6, Bucknell, 2008). This kid is unbelievable. I remember Rosato, Vulakovich, Conley, Hocker and Brantley and I can honestly say.... they aren't in this kids league. I hope that he gets a shot at the next level because he certainly is better than any receiver in the area and that includes Pitt, PSU or WVU.

One drawback however....I waited 40 minutes to talk to the kid. Seems he was busy talking to the pee-wees from St. Theresa's football team and signing autographs for the kids. You gotta pull for a kid that represents whats best about Duquesne.

[> Subject: Re: Connor Dixon

Author:
Coffee
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, October 22, 09:40:27pm

This is one of e best posts ever to hit this forum about one of the best players on and off the field to year the uniform.

Great post Tom- full of insight of the game and of what is even more important!

Author:
Duke Fan
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, October 22, 10:18:24pm

Dixon isn't afraid to throw his body around either. I watched him throw a couple of great blocks today to spring McCoy and Bair. Great job!!!

Author:
Shoey
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Sunday, October 23, 12:06:29am

TS- I have been calling for it all year. You have a 6 5 receiver a QB that can run and throw a rb that is tops in the league........no reason to be predictable. Finally we did do it to a certain extent.

[> [> Subject: Re: Connor Dixon

Author:
SouthSideDuke
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Sunday, October 23, 11:01:57am

Great effort by Dixon and the whole team. The game started out a bit shaky but the team adjusted and turned it around. So far it's been a fun season to watch!

Author:
Duke from way back
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Sunday, October 23, 12:06:43pm

ST.....I was so moved by your post that I went to the FCS website and then the DU record book. Several running backs including Corey McCaffrey have more than 11 TD's but only three recievers in FCS have 11 TD's, Mario Lewis of Grambling, Nicholas Andrews of Eastern Washington and Connor Dixon so he is tied for first among receivers. He has far fewer receptions than the other 2 so his TD per catch ratio is off the charts, 1st by far in the country in FCS,if this site is accurate. But what I saw in the record books really suprised me. After this season he will be listed as having been involved in three of the eight longest plays in DU history, two as a QB (pass to Conrad Carter in 2008 (2nd) and Dave Williams in 2009 (8th); one as a receiver against St F this year-(4th)}. In 2008, he put up the 9th best season for completion percentage ever after not having played football for several years (injured and ill at MSU which I think formed the basis for a 6th year) and then in 09 in the same season he was switched to receiver he posted the third best completion percentage in DUI history despite having to alternate duties with Rombach because of the severity of his shoulder injury. HOw did he do that? He is ,as a QB, second all time in pass completions per a single game (2008) and, as you said, set the single game passing record for TD's with 6 and unless things deviate from the current patttern will enter the top 5 in single season TD receptions (needs one more). He will enter the top 10 of all time for TD catches per single game and actually 4 is the highest so he will tied for 2nd with several other players It's crazy. If he gets a few more TD receptions he will have thrown at least 20 career TDs and caught at least 20. I wonder if the NCAA keeps records like that. I doubt it. What blows my mind is that today's PG says he had THREE shoulder surgeries. When the hell did he have time for that???? And how did he ever do it? I guess the defense and running game were so suspect back then that it went unnoticed because the Dukes were not winning. I just don't remember him as a steller QB but he certainly put up numbers. More importantly, to see him be so accessible to young kids really makes it for me. I was wondering about him because he made some not so smart commnets to the media when he first arrived on the Bluff. I guess the fact that he was a captain for two years says a lot. The pro game is freakish so I dont know if he has a future or not. Everyone made a big deal about Hocker but he didnt last long enough for a cup of coffee. But hats off to what CD has accomplished at the collegiate level. So many transfers fizzle. MSU's loss was the Dukes gain. Thanks for pointing it out. It was a great post.

[> [> Subject: Re: Connor Dixon

Author:
DU '86
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Sunday, October 23, 01:29:26pm

I don't post very often but read the forum. I've been a DU fan for about 30 years and was at the game saturday. Tom made some very accurate comments about Connor Dixon. He is most decidedly a game breaker. Wagner had no answer for him.

I also saw his post game interactions with the young kids and especially his time spent with the handicapped kids that attend every week.

I don't know what the future holds for this kid football wise, but he is the best at what Duquesne athletes represent. Well done young man!!!

[> [> [> Subject: Re: Connor Dixon

Author:
Bleu
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Monday, October 24, 07:30:45pm

Great site Coffee ! Nice posts on Dixon. What an outstanding athlete, his talent is no secret in the NEC. Im glad he's warmed up to the WR position ,seems it was meant to be.
I wanted to note that Duquesne fans are fortunate to have a number of players that represent... young men with tremendous character off the field. Dixon is in great company. That might be the best thing about the Dukes.

GO DUKES !

[> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Connor Dixon

Author:
Coffee
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Friday, October 28, 02:35:42pm

Thanks Bleu- Its nice to just sit back and read the posts now. We have some great Duquesne fans out there in cyber world.

Subject: Interesting Rushing Stat

Author:
Shoey
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Wednesday, October 26, 09:10:03pm

Larry McCoy is 4th overall in the FCS
Sean Patterson is 3rd among QB in the FCS

[> Subject: Re: Interesting Rushing Stat

Author:
Shaler Tom
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Monday, October 24, 06:18:44pm

Awesome stat! It just goes to show you that the Duke's can be a very dangerous offensive team. So many weapons...you can't stop them all.

[> [> Subject: Re: Interesting Rushing Stat

Author:
clickclack
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Wednesday, October 26, 10:49:49am

Albany seemed to do OK against your "weapons"...just saying.

[> [> [> Subject: Re: Interesting Rushing Stat

Author:
Judge Jack McVay Jr
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Wednesday, October 26, 09:10:03pm

Hey Click Clack! I still agree with Shaler Tom, Shoey et. al. and have said and believe that the Dukes indeed have multiple "weapons"!I have to concede that yes Albany did ok with those weapons with the caveat that the Dukes came out flat and were down 24 to 0 after turnovers but had also crept back into the game using those weapons too. Albany to their credit as an excellent football team then completely took over the 4th quarter and controlled the football preventing the Dukes from further "deployment" ?Thanks for your post! Jack

Author:
Judge Jack McVay Jr
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Monday, October 24, 06:55:17pm

Thanks Shoey for stats! We called for more Dixon and we got it! I think the "check with me" was particularly effective, and how about some love for Coach Opfars no down guys defense as that and the defensive unit overall performed particularly well after the first series! Jack

Author:
Duke from way back
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Monday, October 24, 08:49:13pm

A few unsung heroes: Brooks Roorback, nice kid with hands of glue; Isaac Sprague among the conference leaders; Zack Richert, Chris Oliver and Dozie as well as Mike Pasodelis and Serge Kona and how about the O line, man for man. We have come along way, baby, to put kids like that on the field. No doubt, I've missed a few.

Subject: Computer ranking has NEC down

Author:
Duke from way back
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Wednesday, October 26, 08:49:20am

I noticed in the Sagarin computer rankings that the Northeast Conference has dropped substantially from last year. At least, that is my recollection. For awhile last year it seemed as though the NEC was asserting itself as an up and coming football conference. Does anyone know what happened? This year the Dukes played Valpo instead of Delaware. Maybe switchoffs like that conference wide is the reason......puzzled

Subject: From Craig Haley's column in The Sports Network

Author:
Marquis
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Sunday, October 23, 02:31:12pm

"Go figure: Monmouth (4-3) is 0-3 at home and 4-0 on the road. Bad news: the Hawks host Duquense next Saturday."

I didn't realize that playing at Monmouth may actualy be an advantage.

Subject: Wagner Game Thread

Author:
Coffee
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, October 22, 02:34:49pm

Dukes down 7-0. Dukes Defense and Special Teams need to wake up at game time!!! They can't expect to start playing in the second quarter!

[> Subject: Re: Wagner Game Thread

Author:
Odd Duke
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, October 22, 12:31:03pm

Dukes tie it up- That feels better. I had a bad flashback to the Albany game!!!

[> [> Subject: Re: Wagner Game Thread

Author:
Fr. Straub
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, October 22, 12:46:18pm

The new web site is not easy to navigate. I had to go to the Wagner site to get a link to the Gametracker. Here's the link. http://www.goduquesne.com/gametracker/launch/gt_mfootbl.html?event=987009&school=duqu&sport=mfootbl&camefrom=&startschool=&

[> [> [> Subject: Re: Wagner Game Thread

Author:
Iron City Duke
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, October 22, 12:59:11pm

WTF- We can't keep handing the ball to Wagner near mid-field!!

[> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Wagner Game Thread

Author:
Fr. Straub
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, October 22, 01:01:52pm

Good news/bad news> Sack takes away a filed goal for the Seahawks but the punt puts the Dukes inside thier own 5.

Author:
Fr. Straub
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, October 22, 01:06:54pm

Wagner has the ball at the Duquesne 37- This is ENTIRELY THE FAULT OF THE SPECIAL TEAMS KICKOFF!!! You can't expect the offense to move the ball from the 1 and the defense to keep Wagner off the scoreboard if they get the ball at midfield. A better team would be ahead of the Dukes by 2 touchdowns by now.

[> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Wagner Game Thread

Author:
Marquis
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, October 22, 01:10:13pm

I have never heard of the penalty- Disconcerting Signals???? Don't you think that the refs would give a warning to stop it before they decide to change the game???? The zebras should be fair but not influence the outcome of the game. If the Hawks score, this could be a turning point!!!

[> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Wagner Game Thread

Author:
Coffee
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, October 22, 01:22:11pm

GREAT 51 YARD FIELD GOAL BY LEVENTRY!!!!! Being ahead only by one SCORE at the half made me nervous after how the Dukes dominated the stats. I agree with Fr. Straub- The game was hurt by the special teams but Leventry made up for it.

THIS ONE MAKES THE RECORD BOOKS!!

Last edited by author: Saturday, October 22, 01:23:15pm   Edited 1 time.

Author:
Dukie Howser
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, October 22, 02:17:30pm

Larry goes over 100 again!

Author:
Marquis
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, October 22, 02:14:12pm

The worst field position of the day gave the Hawks the ball out near the 30 and helped lead to their second score. Dukes need to run some kickoff coverage drills this week.

Author:
Coffee
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, October 22, 02:34:49pm

All is well in the world- Dixon has 8 catches, McCoy is over 100,Patterson has over 200 yards in the air, the D is playing tough and the only complaint on this thread is on kickoff coverage.

Better work on the punt coverage too!

Too bad CCSU couldn't challenge Albany.

Last edited by author: Saturday, October 22, 02:37:46pm   Edited 1 time.

Subject: Ron Morris and the American Entrepreneur on WMNY

Author:
Coffee
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, October 22, 11:35:41am

This is really off-topic but I'm tuning in earlier and earlier before the games to WMNY to hear Ron Morris' American Entrepreneur radio show. This guy is quoted on Forbes and should be required listening for business students. Ron is Director of Duquesne's Entrepreneurial Studies Program. WMNY streams live for you out-of-towners and he has a blog at http://taeradio.com/www.enkompas.com .

Last edited by author: Saturday, October 22, 11:35:41am   Edited 5 times.

Subject: Wagner

Author:
Shoey
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, October 22, 09:49:32am

I feel pretty good about this Wagner game from a talent standpoint to where we were the last two years with them. My only concern is they have had two weeks to prepare for us. Should be good weather lets get this offense in fifth gear!!!!! prediction 42-10..........I think we let it all hang out Saturday.

[> Subject: Re: Wagner

Author:
Shaler Tom
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, October 22, 08:27:27am

Wagner lost their starting QB in their last game but their back up, a red shirt freshman put up some nice numbers in a loss to Georgetown. They have two DB's that are transfers from Purdue and Syracuse. Should be another good game in the ever improving NEC. Lets hope for a big Duquesne win and a loss by Albany at CC St.

[> [> Subject: Re: Wagner

Author:
Coffee
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, October 22, 09:49:32am

CCSU deserves a win. They are one of the few that have the talent to beat Albany. Maybe they can get the ball back rather than turning it over.

Subject: New www.goduquesne.com website design

Author:
CoachL
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Thursday, October 20, 09:09:43pm

www.goduquesne.com

New website design in conjunction with CBS Sports.

I guess it's okay. It looks a lot like most other CBS sites and I prefer a bit more individuality, but...

GO DUKES!

[> Subject: Re: New www.goduquesne.com website design

Author:
Coffee
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Thursday, October 20, 08:21:54pm

I kind of liked the old one better.

[> Subject: Re: New www.goduquesne.com website design

Author:
Judge Jack McVay Jr
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Thursday, October 20, 09:09:43pm

Thanks Coach L! Meant to respond previously to your post re Albany game and agree with your points! Your reference to the phenomena that all coaches, players and fans have experienced or observed i.e. the inexplicable "flat"game seems appropriate. Why does it occur and why do all teams experience them? Who knows but the championship teams manage to still win them. I think we have an excellent coaching staff overall and thought they did make adjustments throughout the course of the CCS game.Curious as to your(and all other bloggers) opinion of the no huddle "check with me" offense(totally different from hurry up no huddle that Pitt employs)as well as Coach Opfar's no down guys defense in passing situations? Both are innovative but I trully havent formed an opinion about their respective effectiveness.Thanks to all and especially COFFEE for this great site! Jack

Subject: Big Win

Author:
Judge Jack McVay Jr
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Tuesday, October 18, 08:37:24pm

Hey guys! I am a fan of this coaching staff and want to emphasize that most significantly, the Dukes get a win against a tough opponent Saturday! I think Bleu s concerns about defense was on point as CCS controlled the ball and had success with the option until the coaches adjusted by having the safety come up on the pitch in the second half!Also,Shoey I agree to that passing game could be better but McCoy is a weapon as is Patterson as a runner! Personally I would get Dixon more involved i.e. line him up in slot as he always seems to be the widest receiver and maybe quick slant him. I might also try a bubble screen and reverse Dixon too but the weapons are there fortunately and McCoy and Pattersons legs were a big factor in the win!I am still calling for Bell on offense one of these days as he still is only being used on long yardage package with Richards et al on D! Again, BIG WIN!Jack

[> Subject: Re: Big Win

Author:
Shoey
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Monday, October 17, 11:01:51pm

Judge Jack- I agree but McCoy would be even better if he didnt run on first down every time. The guy takes a pounding when there is no creativity on first down. Facts are Facts our offense has been bogged down by two good teams the past two weeks because we just havent been able to bully them on first down like some of the weaker teams we played earlier. Love the Bell call on offense and I am going to jump through the roof when Dixon throws a pass from the WR spot. On defense I think it has alot to do with our offense not having a rhythm (85 plays to 45???). Look at three of our wins Dayton, Bryant, CCSU all wins on the last drive when the playbook is thrown out and we just utilize our athletes. Sometimes I think they make it more complicated than it should be.

[> [> Subject: Re: Big Win

Author:
Judge Jack McVay Jr
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Tuesday, October 18, 08:37:24pm

Shoey,Points all well taken! I will watch a little more closely on first down and I think you observed something I have been saying for a long time(in addition to dont make it too complicated) that the defense and offense are interrelated in the course of a game and the rhthymn of the offense or the performance of the offense impacts the defense and vice versa! Too often we look at a game and the sides of the ball in isolation and want to find blame with one unit or the other! It is a great team sport and the play of one unit impacts the other! Thanks for your insights! Jack

Subject: Wagner

Author:
TMH
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Tuesday, October 18, 01:42:11pm

I'm driving west for my annual excursion watching Duquesne football (and maybe some soccer)on saturday. There will be another one for basketball. I will likely be wearing a Lehigh sweatshirt My son hasn't gotten around to adding a Duquesne one to my ensemble yet.) If anyone sees me, please stop and say hello. I look forward to this trip every year.

Subject: CC ST.

Author:
Shaler Tom
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Sunday, October 16, 06:26:37pm

The Duke's are going to have to be very physical today. With the wind projected to be very strong (even by Bluff standards), the passing game may be grounded a bit.

[> Subject: Re: CC ST.

Author:
Daisy Duke
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, October 15, 10:42:24am

Time for Larry McCoy to get another 200+ yards like last year. We can't spot them that much of a lead this year. The Dukes have to come out with fire the same way Albany did last week to us. We can still win this conference.

[> [> Subject: Re: CC ST.

Author:
DukeFan
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, October 15, 04:34:01pm

Yea! We kept our heads in the game and pulled out a victory! The wind DID play a factor today- and CC ST played well. Congrats to our Dukes! Now if Albany would just tank a few times...?

[> Subject: Re: CC ST.

Author:
shoey
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, October 15, 05:45:59pm

All I am going to say is the Dukes win in spite of the pressbox.

Author:
CoachL
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, October 15, 07:38:35pm

Re: "All I am going to say is the Dukes win in spite of the pressbox."

???

Okay, are we going to have to play "Twenty Questions"?

[> [> [> Subject: Re: CC ST.

Author:
Shoey
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, October 15, 10:39:14pm

CoachL- Sorry the play calling is jus incredible. we come out against the wind open it up a little bit on first down ....next thing you know McCoy 10 yard TD. Up 14-7 we just go back to the old run 1st and second down and pass once with the wind the whole second quarter. CCSU runs 85 plays to our 45........our two biggest plays were QB scrambles of 42 and 32 yards. W's camouflauge alot of problems but I think this offensive scheme is going backwards. (Thus in spite of the pressbox we win)

[> [> [> [> Subject: Re: CC ST.

Author:
Bleu
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Sunday, October 16, 06:26:37pm

Hey Shoey -
It seems the offense is starting to change things up . I liked seeing McCoy as a reciever in the flat. I thought the offense was less predictable. I would like to see the tight end used more. The concern I have is, the big chunks of yardage our defense is giving up.

Author:
Shaler Tom
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, October 15, 08:39:18pm

LOL....you'd think they would know who scored and when

Subject: Dukes win 28-21!!!

Author:
Coffee
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, October 15, 03:06:00pm

First victory over CCS! The Dukes showed that they do still have faith in themselves after last week.

Go to the blog to vote for who should get a game ball.

Last edited by author: Saturday, October 15, 03:06:00pm   Edited 1 time.

Subject: Bit from the Blog

Author:
Coffee
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, October 15, 10:01:37am

The 4-2 Duquesne Dukes hope to rebound after last weekís loss to Albany when they host the NECís pre-season number one pick to be conference champions, Central Connecticut State. The Blue Devils come in at only 2 and 4 but played a very tough non-conference schedule. They were within 2 points of overtaking CAA Massachusetts in the fourth quarter before the Minutemen returned a kickoff and an interception for late touchdowns to put the game away. CCS played CAA James Madison close as well falling 14-9.

Last year the Dukes came close to staging a remarkable comeback when they scored two touchdowns in the final 2 minutes and appeared to tie the game on a two point conversion late in the fourth quarter that was overturned by a controversial penalty. Larry McCoy finished that game with his career best 233 yards.

Duquesne will honor our nation's wounded heroes this Saturday in partnership with Wounded Warrior Project and the National Association of Collegiate Directors of Athletics. Duquesne has invited all military personnel with military ID to attend the game free of charge and will be selling camouflage Duquesne hats to raise money for the Wounded Warrior Project.

Prediction: This is really a tough one to call since much depends upon how the Dukes respond to the Albany game. Iím going to be chicken and say it will be either a close Duquesne win 28-24 if the Dukes regain their confidence or another drubbing if the Dukes have lost faith in themselves.

Radio: WMNY-AM 1360- Alex Panormios and Tad Maurey
Streaming Live and Achieved Audio: RedZoneMedia.com or GoDuquesne.com
Video & Gametracker: GoDuquesne.com

Subject: DUQUESNE/RMU KEGS AND EGGS TAILGATE

Author:
Coffee
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Tuesday, October 11, 07:32:23pm

This could be a great time- Click here for information- http://www.myduquesne.duq.edu/s/831/index.aspx?sid=831&gid=1&pgid=923&cid=2001&ecid=2001&crid=0&calpgid=61&calcid=828

[> Subject: Re: DUQUESNE/RMU KEGS AND EGGS TAILGATE

Author:
Judge Jack McVay Jr
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Wednesday, October 12, 05:06:22pm

Coffee, Thanks for posting and I attended Kegs and Eggs last year! It was outstanding as Rene does a great job and the breakfast was good! I am not a food critic either but it was quality! I will be drumming up support again from the "Iron Dukes" to attend and wear our throwbacks! Also, the throwbacks worn by the "Iron Dukes" of this year against Bryant are now available for purchase if anyone is interested? I have yet to hear anything further from RMU on the trophy!Go Dukes and lets get back on track! Jack

Subject: Interesting Statistic

Author:
Shoey
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Monday, October 10, 08:52:56pm

During most games we have been conservative run first in the first quarter. In the second quarter when we open it up pass on first down get in a faster tempo we are an amazing 16-22 72.7% on third down conversions. Almost double of any quarter.........let the athletes play quit being control freaks!!!!!!

[> Subject: Re: Interesting Statistic

Author:
Shaler Tom
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Thursday, October 13, 05:31:03pm

Especially when you are going up against a bigger team like Albany. We played right into their hands. Obviously, Sean didn't have his best game throwing, but when you put any kid in third and long all day long, he's going to have trouble. I'm with you Shoey.... Open it up!!!

Subject: What is up with the Dukes Today????

Author:
Coffee
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Monday, October 10, 08:00:44pm

Down 21-0 early. Dukes without a first down.

Duquesne is totally unprepared on both sides of the ball in the 1st quarter.

Last edited by author: Saturday, October 08, 01:35:12pm   Edited 4 times.

[> Subject: Re: What is up with the Dukes Today????

Author:
Always a Duke
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, October 08, 01:53:03pm

Dukes can't seemingly do much today. They recover a fumble, but got stopped in Albany's territory. The Dukes down, 24-0 in with 6 mins. to go in 2Q. I can use a Duke beer now!

Author:
CoachL
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, October 08, 02:23:47pm

It's halftime...

24-0 Albany

Can someone let me know when the Duquesne football team shows up?

:-(

[> [> Subject: Re: What is up with the Dukes Today????

Author:
Bleu
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Sunday, October 09, 10:05:53pm

Great site !
Coach L , I had a few different questions about the game Saturday...
1. Where were the coaches ? adjustments ?
2. Why the limited passes to Dixon ? He was covered well off and on, but had such a height advantage.
3. McCoy seemed to give it all he had, you can only do so much with 8 men in the box,he was still makin something out of NOTHING...
4. How's our blocking Coach ? biggest D line we have seen, with linebackers sealin it up tight.

Sean was not on his game...it happens....

....most showed up... 9 of 10 the Dukes beat the Danes.

Great group of kids anyway !

GO DUKES !

[> [> [> Subject: Re: What is up with the Dukes Today????

Author:
CoachL
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Sunday, October 09, 11:30:53pm

Bleu-

1. When I ask about when the football team will show up, I absolutely include the coaches. It seems that showing up in Albany without our footballs (as I understand we did) was simply indicative of how our day in Albany was going to go!

2. Re: Dixon - I'm with you there, Bleu! Only one pass to one of the finest receivers in the FCS? That's a stumper.

3. I'm a big McCoy fan. He makes the most out of tough situations. Albany keyed on Larry and packed guys into the box. Our offensive scheme has GOT to give him some room to operate. As mentioned elsewhere on this board - more passes on 1st down would be nice.

4. It seemed like our OLine had a little trouble moving the big bodies off the LOS, and had some problem getting to the second level. I haven't been able to analyze the blocking schemes that we utilize. I'm only able to see some the games via online streaming, and I'm TRYING to be just a fan and leave my coaching to my own team. I've got to leave the Dukes' game film analysis to our terrific staff.

5. Sean had a bad day. Period. Stuff happens, but a QB with a bad day can be devastating to a team. The QB gets the praise, but also must take the flak. It comes with the territory.

6. I absolutely believe that the Dukes came to play! However, in all my years of coaching, I've never been able to figure out what causes days like this past Saturday. Albany is a fine team, and the Dukes needed a top-notch effort to win this one on the road. It only takes one player on each play to cause failure.

The players seemed (for lack of a better word) "distracted" at the start of the game, and were never able to fully regain their focus.

The Dukes had a massive team-wide "brain fart" against Monmouth last year. It seems that the same thing happened yesterday. I trust that the "real" Dukes will show up this coming Saturday against the Blue Devils from Central Connecticut State. This team is FAR better than what they showed against Albany.

I'm afraid that this loss may seriously damage our hopes for an NEC Championship and a first-ever spot in the playoffs. I hope not, but...

GO DUKES!!!

[> [> [> [> Subject: Re: What is up with the Dukes Today????

Author:
Bleu
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Monday, October 10, 10:37:32am

Coach L -
Thanks for your response. I appreciate your ability to help navigate us through these questions.

[> [> [> [> Subject: Re_evaluate which horses to ride

Author:
Shoey
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Monday, October 10, 08:00:44pm

We will continue to have bad days when we use our best weapons as a secondary option. Also for three years nobody at Duquesne has been creative enough to throw a double-pass with our former big-ten QB Dixon.........just an observation.....It also might give larry sommore room if the whole country dosent know he is getting the ball every first down.....unless they change the mindset expect the same against well coached teams with talent. Patterson will be bad on third and long more than good.......percentages catch up with you.

Author:
Ruler
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Monday, October 10, 08:55:15am

9 time out of 10 you would beat the Danes? Are you kidding? You have beaten UAlbany once in 6 meetings. Maybe, just maybe, the best team won on Saturday.

good luick the rest of the way.

Author:
Ruler
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Monday, October 10, 09:08:39am

Why is it that everytime Duquesne comes to Albany and gets their a$$ handed to them there is always an excuse. In 2002 it was the mud and the wind. In 2009 it was the injury bug. In 2011 the team failed to show up.

2 FBS transfers does not equal championship. Its how those pieces are put in motion by the coaching staff.

Its one thing to play Dayton and Valpo OOC and quite another to play Colgate and Maine. Both losses(Had Colgate by 10...shoulda won...but we didnt) by Albany to those teams probably helped more than the wins vs inferior competition.

I believe you will beat CCSU and get your ship righted. CCSU also was overhyped.

[> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: What is up with the Dukes Today????

Author:
CoachL
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Monday, October 10, 09:47:57am

I teach my players to have class whether they win or lose. Too bad some people were never taught that lesson.

Author:
CoachL
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Monday, October 10, 10:07:04am

Re: "You have beaten UAlbany once in 6 meetings. Maybe, just maybe, the best team won on Saturday."

1. The Danes and the Dukes have only played 5 times.

2. Maybe the best team won on Saturday.

Re: "Had Colgate by 10...shoulda won...but we didnt"

I will leave that comment as it stands.

Re: "good luick the rest of the way" and "I believe you will beat CCSU and get your ship righted."

1.) Thank you.

2.) Even you seem to feel that the Dukes' "ship" was not on an even keel on Saturday.

;-)

[> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: What is up with the Dukes Today????

Author:
Ruler
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Monday, October 10, 10:13:18am

"Getting your ship righted" Translation: I hope you get off the losing streak. Hey, we probably go out and get our a$$ handed to us by Robert Morris who knows.

I was trying to be gracious. BEST OF LUCK!!!

Author:
Bleu
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Monday, October 10, 10:08:16am

Ruler -
RELAX ! Im just passionate about the Dukes team this year. My hat goes off to your Danes on a big win. Yes, they were the better team Saturday.

The best to you

Author:
Shaler Tom
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, October 08, 02:31:33pm

I generally don't comment on a game at halftime but it is so brutally obvious to me that I feel I must. Albany is committed to stopping McCoy and for the most part are doing so.

We must throw on first down!!! McCoy is averaging 2 on first down which put us at 2nd and 3rd and long all half. Sean may be having a rough time out there but you can't stop throwing.

Not only are we going three and out but our defense is getting tired, especially on a warm day. McCoy is a terrific back but can't run when they put eight in the boz and are daring you to throw on first down.

[> [> Subject: Re: What is up with the Dukes Today????

Author:
Coffee
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, October 08, 02:51:46pm

I can't remember a single time that the Dukes threw on 1st down. The sad old Steelers used to do this all the time in the 50's with a back named Rogel. The fans would chant "Hey diddle diddle diddle, Rogel up the middle".

The Chief ordered the coach to change and throw a pass. They scored a touchdown that was called back.

Author:
Always a Duke
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, October 08, 03:05:41pm

Connor Dixon to the rescue with a TD catch. The guy's golden. Dukes down 24-10 late in 3Q.

Click here for update on today's college scores including the NEC.

Author:
Shaler Tom
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, October 08, 03:06:32pm

Finally some first down passes!!!! Hopefully its not too late.

Author:
Coffee
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, October 08, 03:38:00pm

This game reminds me of the Monmouth Game last year.

I really don't want to write the recap for this one on the blog. I'm going to pretend it didn't happen.

Last edited by author: Saturday, October 08, 04:35:52pm   Edited 1 time.

Author:
DukeFan
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, October 08, 03:51:43pm

we were completely outplayed in every catagorie today... what happened? Where were our players? Defense? Offense? Where were our coaches? Charlie Leventry was the only one who showed up. Talk about getting our clocks cleaned!

Author:
Always a Duke
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, October 08, 04:07:11pm

To only add to the misery of today's crushing loss to Albany, did any of you listen to the Tribune Review's commercials aired on the radio broadcast? The Trib brags about having great coverage of the Dukes and mentions Dave Mackall as one of the reporters who will deliver such. It appears that the Trib's advertising department hasn't got the memo from management.

Author:
Shoey
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, October 08, 06:04:53pm

God cant convert third and long at a high percentage. McCoy McCoy , Patterson pull us out of the long 3rd and 8 didnt work today. The kid is human. This has been going on for 2 years.............look at the stats. You give the offense no chance 3rd and long........luckily we have had Dixon,Williams,Sprague Patterson to pull us out. Enough is enough pread no huddle past first down a few times!!!!
I could of called plays against Valpo, SF.........Bucknell and Albany epic fail. Dayton/Bryant athletes pulled it out. Use the ATHLETES you have!!! Give the QB a chance!!!!!

Subject: You know who I feel sorry for?

Author:
CoachL
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Monday, October 10, 11:03:01am

You know who I feel sorry for?

Marty Mitchell.

Poor guy. This was the second time that his only pass attempt in a game was intercepted. Last year it was against Robert Morris.

He's a good kid and a fine QB. We'll all look back on this particular stat in a few years and have a good chuckle!

GO DUKES!

Subject: Sometimes its good to just change the subject...

Author:
Coffee
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Sunday, October 09, 09:26:36am

I got my DU Magazine yesterday and the school is again ranking higher according to Princeton Review and Forbes. It's a good thing I went when I did or else I probably wouldn't have gotten in.

The lead story proudly proclaims that Duquesne's highest ranking was in "Fire Safety". That's why I chose Duquesne!

Last edited by author: Sunday, October 09, 09:26:36am   Edited 1 time.

[> Subject: Re: Sometimes its good to just change the subject...

Author:
Shaler Tom
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Sunday, October 09, 10:02:50am

Anyone who has ever been on the top floor of Brottier during a fire drill will attest to that!!!

Subject: The Dukes have some work to do...

Author:
Coffee
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, October 08, 03:56:03pm

The only good thing about this game is that it can only count for 1 loss.

[> Subject: Re: The Dukes have some work to do...

Author:
Ruler
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, October 08, 03:49:41pm

Looks like Albany is in the drivers seat the rest of the way. Good luck the rest of the way.

[> Subject: Re: The Dukes have some work to do...

Author:
CoachL
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, October 08, 03:56:03pm

Deja vu...

vs. Monmouth 2010
vs. Albany 2011

:-(

Subject: Article on Dorian Bell

Author:
CLK
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, October 08, 10:33:45am

I did not see this article in either home town Pittsburgh papers. This is the second Duquesne related article I found in the Washington Post in the last week that was not picked up in Pittsburgh (the other was on April Robinson a recent Womens basketball commitment).

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/colleges/leaving-the-tattoo-scandal-behind-at-ohio-state-lb-dorian-bell-finds-a-new-home-at-duquesne/2011/10/07/gIQAnsp8SL_story.html

[> Subject: Re: Article on Dorian Bell

Author:
Marquis
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Friday, October 07, 09:26:11pm

The Washington Post also had three pictures of Dorian. The local rags didn't even have to write a !@#$#!@ story or send a photographer- JUST PRINT THE WIRE STORY!!!!!!!

WTF is wrong with the Trib and Post Gazette???!!!

[> [> Subject: Re: Article on Dorian Bell

Author:
Coffee
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, October 08, 10:33:45am

Sounds like the article was run in the Washington Post, Rivals, Yahoo, CBS Sports and just about everywhere but in Pittsburgh... Its not like Bell is from the area or that Duquesne is in Pittsburgh.

I'd like to see some coverage but I'm tired of complaining about it. I guess we need to enjoy the Dukes and hope some day that the local rags develop an awareness of a world that has more dimensions than Pitt. This, along with loosing Mackall is unfortunate but its the rag's loss for following the same tired team that never quite lives up to expectations. They struggle to beat teams in the FCS, the Duke's home. Looking at the recent RPI and Sagarin rankings, the Dukes are not far off of the level that Pitt schedules. If the Dukes play Pitt, they'd get some ink at least for a game.

Last edited by author: Saturday, October 08, 10:39:57am   Edited 1 time.

Subject: GREAT PREVIEW ARTICLE FOR THE ALBANY GAME COFFEE!!

Author:
Fr. Straub
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, October 08, 09:47:21am

You are the only writer to be able to make the 1800's relevant to a weekly preview.

Subject: Nice AP/Rivals article on Dorian Bell

Author:
Duke Ellington
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Friday, October 07, 09:13:53pm

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/news?slug=ap-duquesne-tattoogatetransfer

Funny- This AP article wasn't yet picked up by either hometown papers.

[> Subject: Re: Nice AP/Rivals article on Dorian Bell

Author:
Marquis
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Friday, October 07, 09:20:32pm

Well, the Trib did have us second under "Small College Preview".
@#$$$- According to National Magazines we are a Tier I Ranked National University that schedules some of the same teams Pitt has scheduled such as Delaware.

Subject: Predictions for Dukes game at Albany on Saturday

Author:
Always a Duke
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Friday, October 07, 08:44:27pm

Here's a prediction from Sean Sapiro, FCS Assistant, with Sports Network.com (TSN) on the Dukes-Great Danes' game. Sean will be in Albany covering the game for TSN. For more of Sean's predictions of FCS games click here.

Duquesne Dukes (4-1, 2-0 NEC)
at Albany Great Danes (2-2, 1-0), 1 p.m.

Series record: Albany leads, 3-1

Last meeting: at Duquesne 28, Albany 17 (Sept. 25, 2010)

What to know: Already first amongst active FCS coaches in victories, Albany's Bob Ford is looking to gain his 250th career victory against the Dukes.

This game feels like a Northeast Conference championship game, especially with Central Connecticut State, the defending co-champion, already saddled with two NEC losses.

After making his first appearance of the season in a win against Bryant, Duquesne linebacker and Ohio State transfer Dorian Bell could get his first start for the Dukes. Last week, in his first action since Ohio State's victory against Michigan last November, Bell recorded six tackles.

Prediction: Duquesne 23, Albany 17

MY PREDICTION:

In as much as the Dukes curbed its last opponent (Bryant) to have a canine mascot, I believe that Dukes will remain in the dogcatcher mode on Saturday and haul the Great Danes to the pound by a score of 24 to 21. The weather should not be a factor in Albany. Forecasts call for around 70 degrees at kickoff with a 0% chance of rain.

Albany has a good team and is generally tough at home so this will likely be a very close game, but Mr McCoy will continue his streak of 100 yds. rushing games. It may come down to a last minute field goal by Charlie Leventry to settle the fray. The Dukes like being in first place in the NEC and will remain so when they return to the Bluff.

[> Subject: Re: Predictions for Dukes game at Albany on Saturday

Author:
Judge Jack McVay Jr
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Thursday, October 06, 11:55:24pm

Hey everyone, AAD is on a roll and I again hope he is right! Dorian Bell will play most of game at LB and dont be surprised someday if he plays offense! Anyone who saw him his senior year at Gateway knows what a force he was at running back and he is much bigger stronger and faster now!Football is a simple game and your best athletes need to get the ball and we are doing that now with McCoy and Dixon.Someday it probably will be Bell! Jack

[> [> Subject: Re: Predictions for Dukes game at Albany on Saturday. Bit from the Blog

Author:
Coffee
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Friday, October 07, 08:03:12pm

No matter how many times we play the Albany Great Danes, I think back to the first time the Dukes played the "Dames". It was the last game of the 2001 Season in the ECAC Bowl. Better known by Duquesne Fans as the "Slush Bowl", the Dukes' perfect season came to a slushy, blustery and frozen 24-0 end.

The Dukes went into the game with a National Ranking and a real shot at being the first team from the "Mid-Majors" to make the NCAA 1-AA Playoffs. Their defense was more than respectable but their offense had been unstoppable. Unstoppable, except for when it became almost impossible to throw the ball through the high winds to receivers who became mortal under the frozen conditions. The one flaw that the 2002 team had was that it was geared only to a real high octane passing offense led by Neil Loebig.

Unfortunately for the Dukes, the one player who could have made a difference in the slush to balance out the passing game, Josh Rue, was declared ineligible just prior to the season. Josh was to be the featured back; a hard runner talented enough to make the roster of the Arizona Cardinals and still be playing professionally with the Pittsburgh Power. Without Rue and unable to pass, the Dukes exposed their Achilles heal.

This year, the Great Danes probably have a better team than their 2002 edition, but then again so do the Dukes.

Prediction: Larry McCoy, now being mentioned seriously for the Walter Payton Trophy for being the bet back in the FCS will provide the balance that the 2002 team didn't have to beat the Great Danes. He may be the best back the Dukes have had since... perhaps even better. Dukes over Danes 27-21.

See this link into your browser for a great article on Josh Rue and the Pittsburgh Power Arena League Team http://www.arenafootball.com/news/eastern-division-roll-call-josh-rue

[> [> [> Subject: Re: Predictions for Dukes game at Albany on Saturday. Bit from the Blog

Author:
Coffee
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Friday, October 07, 08:44:27pm

NEC Games
Sacred Heart over Columbia
Georgetown over Wagner
UMass over Central Conn. St
Duquesne over Albany
Monmouth over Colgate
Robert Morris over St. Francis
Bryant over Stonehill

Last edited by author: Friday, October 07, 08:54:59pm   Edited 1 time.

Subject: Pittsburgh Media Coverage of the Dukes Just Took Another Hit

Author:
CLK
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Wednesday, October 05, 05:24:41pm

I just learned from a friend that Dave Mackall is no longer the DU beat writer. He has been reassigned by the Trib, but not sure what he will be covering. Moreover, from what I understand the Trib will no longer have a beat writer covering Duquesne. Dave has done a great job covering the Dukes both football and basketball.Dave is a nationally respected sports writer. and this is a big loss and is horrible news for DU fans. I am not sure why the Trib would take this approach. I understand that Pitt is the big dog in the City. I get that, but that does not mean there is no interest in the Dukes or other City schools. I plan on writing the Trib and hope you all will pass the word and join me in expressing our disappointment and hope that they will reconsider. I looked on the Trib website and it looks like Joe Rutter, Assistant Sports Editor is the guy to contact at the following address: jrutter@tribweb.com

Here is the outline of what I am going to say, any suggestions you all might add would be appreciated:

- The Trib's coverage of Duquesne over the years has been terrific and much appreciated by Duquesne fans

- Many DU fans are dissapointed to hear that Dave Mackall will no longer covering the Dukes, and that the Trib is considering not having a DU beat writer covering DU athletics.

- DU is a major University with thousands of gratuates living in the Pittsburgh area and through out the Country who read the Trib.

- My hope is that the Trfib would reconsider.

I also plan on writing Amodio and others at Duquesne to see if the will add their voice in getting the Trib to reconsider.

Please respond to this post with your thoughts and join me in seeing if we can make a difference in this situation. Let the Trib know DU fans have a voice! Go Dukes!

[> Subject: Re: Pittsburgh Media Coverage of the Dukes Just Took Another Hit

Author:
Marquis
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Wednesday, October 05, 10:34:18am

We are behind you all the way. Do you need a petition started?

[> [> Subject: Re: Pittsburgh Media Coverage of the Dukes Just Took Another Hit

Author:
CLK
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Wednesday, October 05, 10:46:16am

I would hope that DU fans would add their voice by taking a couple of minutes to e-mail the Trib and let them know that they are upset with this decision. DU is a major University with thousands of graduates living in Pittsburgh. It is time for DU fans to rise up and be heard from. We are a home town University and deserved to be covered by the home town paper. Please e-mail the Trib at the address above to ask them to reconsider what they are doing. If they don't hear from us they will assume it is OK because nobody cares. I waould also ask that you e-mail Greg Amodio to solicit his voice to the Trib. Go Dukes!

[> Subject: Re: Pittsburgh Media Coverage of the Dukes Just Took Another Hit

Author:
Always a Duke
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Wednesday, October 05, 11:12:56am

I followed CLK's advice and sent Joe Rutter an e-mail complimenting Dave Mackell's coverage of the Dukes and asking that the Tribune Review assign another reporter to the Duquesne sports beat if the decision to reassign Dave can't be reversed. I strongly suggest that all of you loyal Duquesne alumni & fans do likewise.

On a related matter, in August I was told by A.D. Greg Amodio that that the newly hired P-G sports reporter, Jenn Menendez, would be assigned to cover the Dukes' men's basketball team in addition to the WVU football team. While I've read many of her articles on WVU football, she has not written anything about the Dukes yet. Perhaps it's a bit early to expect a basketball story, but b-ball practice will officially be starting next week so we should be reading her by-line in the near future.

[> [> Subject: Re: Pittsburgh Media Coverage of the Dukes Just Took Another Hit

Author:
Shaler Tom
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Wednesday, October 05, 05:24:41pm

Just finished sending an e-mail. We need the Trib coverage in a big way.

Subject: Great article on Larry McCoy!

Author:
CoachL
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Wednesday, October 05, 02:38:56pm

"The Real McCoy: How a Small Town Kid Became One of the Best Backs in the Country"

http://fcsfootballnetwork.com/2011/10/05/the-real-mccoy-how-a-small-town-kid-became-one-of-the-best-backs-in-the-country/

GO DUKES!

Subject: Dukes show up in both FCS Polls

Author:
Always a Duke
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Tuesday, October 04, 10:10:09pm

The Dukes (4-1) move up one notch from last weeks' FCS Coaches' Poll to #35, tied with Stephen Austin:
Click here for FCS Coaches Poll.

The Dukes appear among "others receiving votes" in the latest Sports Network FCS Poll. The Dukes are #44. Albany and Bobby Mo of the NEC are listed below the Dukes. Bucknell, the only team to beat the Dukes, is also listed.
Click here for the Sports Network Poll.

[> Subject: Re: Dukes show up in both FCS Polls

Author:
Coffee
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Monday, October 03, 09:16:07pm

How the heck did Robert Morris get 2 votes?????!! They are 1 and 3!!

AAD- You'd like this site- http://www.compughterratings.com/CFB/matchups

Last edited by author: Monday, October 03, 09:25:41pm   Edited 3 times.

[> [> Subject: Re: Dukes show up in both FCS Polls

Author:
Marquis
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Tuesday, October 04, 11:25:26am

As to Coffee's question on how Robert Morris goes 1-3 and still got 2 votes in The Sports Network Poll. The poll has the following members from the NEC voting:

Northeast Conference: Brian DePasquale; Jim Duzyk; Matt Harmon; John McCarthy; Bill Peterson; Andrew Santillo; Chris Shovlin; Jason Sullivan; Ralph Ventre; Greg Viscomi.

Notice any familiar Robert Morris names here?

[> [> [> Subject: Re: Dukes show up in both FCS Polls

Author:
Always a Duke
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Tuesday, October 04, 12:29:57pm

I know that Chris Shovlin is the play-by-play announcer of Bobby Mo's football & basketball games and has a radio show on WJAS Radio. As I recall, he was known to express his dislike for former Dukes' football coach, Greg Gattuso, during his football broadcasts. I never could figure out the reason for those comments which were clearly unprofessional and inappropriate.

I'm not familiar with the other named voters who may have links to Robert Morris. If there are others, perhaps you can enlighten us.

I agree that it's hard to imagine that Robert Morris' 1-3 record would merit any votes.

[> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Dukes show up in both FCS Polls

Author:
Always a Duke
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Tuesday, October 04, 03:16:23pm

In the interest of transparency in football polls I wrote an e-mail to Craig Haley, the Executive Director of The Sports Network (TSN), who sponsors one of the FCS national polls, and asked him to provide me a website that I could go to see how the illustrative panel of poll voters cast their ballots? I am aware of PollSpeak.com (Click here.) provides such info for the the other football polls but nothing related to the FCS. He responded saying that TSN does not reveal how the voters cast their ballots so I guess the source of those votes for Bobby Mo (1-3) will remain a mystery.

Mr Haley did inform me that Sean Sapiro from the TSN will be in Albany this Saturday covering the Dukes-Great Danes' game. This should provide a little national attention for the Dukes!

[> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Dukes show up in both FCS Polls

Author:
Marquis
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Tuesday, October 04, 04:03:18pm

I was referring specifically to Shovlin. If he ranks RMU at #24 on his ballot, that gives them 2 votes. I don't think that Shovlin would cast a vote for the Dukes over RMU even if the Dukes win out and the Colonials lose out.

[> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Dukes show up in both FCS Polls

Author:
Always a Duke
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Tuesday, October 04, 10:10:09pm

If you are correct about Shoven, and I believe you most probably are, he's much more petty and spiteful than I originally thought.

The polls are something to talk about for entertainment and become really meaningful if a team is hoping to secure an at-large bid to the FCS playoffs. Given the overall strength of the NEC compared to other more established FCS comferences, NEC members are not likely to get an at-large bid in the foreseeable future. However, I might add that being ranked in the Top 25 or near the Top 25 can have a positive effect in recruiting so discussing the fairness of the polls is not necessarily a meaningless topic.

Subject: Polls? Who Cares?

Author:
Shaler Tom
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Tuesday, October 04, 07:05:35pm

I've been reading with interest everyone's take on the latest polls and while I agree with everyone that we probably should be taken a little more seriously, I hope the boys realize that it means nothing.

The simple fact is...the only way we make the playoffs is to win our conference. No at large bids here. Keep winning and the polls will take care of themselves. Alot of these teams that are ahead of us are there because of reputation. Only 20 get in. The Bucknell game was a real stinker and hurt us in the polls (we'd be in the top 25) but means nothing if we can run the table. Make you reservations for Montana early!
http://www.sportsnetwork.com/fcs/FCS_Bracket.pdf

Main index ] [ Archives: 12345[6]78910 ]

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a new public message:
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
* Message subject (required):

* Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Choose Message Icon: [ View Emoticons ]

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2016 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.