VoyForums
1 CLICK GIVES FREE FOOD!
www.TheHungerSite.com
Protect Habitat with a Click!
www.TheRainforestSite.com
Non-profit ad served by VoyForums...

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 123456789[10] ]

DUQUESNE DUKES FOOTBALL FORUM
~DUQUESNE DUKES FOOTBALL FORUM~
This forum is for discussion of Duquesne Football since other excellent Duquesne Basketball forums exist. (Links below). It is also open to all Duquesne sponsored or club sports.Duquesne sponsors: Basketball (M/W), Cross Country (M/W), Football, Soccer (M/W), Swimming (W), Tennis (M/W), Track and Field (M/W), LaCrosse (W), Crew (W), Volleyball (W). Club Sports include Ice Hockey and Men's Crew. Some posts on this Forum may be re-posted on the Duquesne Football Blog (See Duquesnesports.blogspot.com). This is a discussionforum where you are a guest. Treat others as you would like to be treated. No foul language, using another's moniker or personal attacks. Character on the field and on this forum reflects upon Duquesne. Links to this site are encouraged. Feedback is welcome. -Coffee

~OTHER DUQUESNE LINKS~

*COFFEE'S DUQUESNE FOOTBALL BLOG*
*OFFICIAL Northeast Conference Football SITE*
*The Sports Network FCS Page*
*USA Today Sagarin Division I College Football Rankings*
*Real Time RPI Division 1 College Football Rankings*
*College Football Data Warehouse*
*ESPN Radio Northeast Conference Notebook*

Subject: RMU Clinches NEC

Author:
Shaler Tom
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Sunday, November 14, 10:40:22pm

With RMU finishing their season yesterday with a win, they have earned the right to represent the NEC in the playoffs. As much as I hate to say it, they are the best team and should do ok. I for one am going to put the rivalry aspect aside and root for them to do well.

With a win next week at Bryant, the Dukes will finish in third by themselves.

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[> Subject: Re: RMU Clinches NEC

Author:
Curious
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Sunday, November 14, 01:20:57pm

Actually, they LOST to Bryant in Smithfield 27-21.

Bobby Mo clinched the NEC title last week when they whooped Central Connecticut 42-24.

I haven't been around long enough to develop a healthy dislike of the Colonials. (small joke!)

I'll be rooting for RMU to represent the NEC with honor in the playoffs this year, just as I expect the Moon Twp. faithful to be rooting for the Dukes in years to come!

GO DUKES!

...and for the next few weeks - GO COLONIALS!

[> [> Subject: Re: RMU Clinches NEC

Author:
Duke of Hazard
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Sunday, November 14, 10:40:22pm

I'm afraid the Bryant loss will drop the Colonials out of the Top 25. Time to pull for the representative of the Burgh and of the NEC!

Subject: Duquesne Defensive Analysis

Author:
Coffee
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Sunday, November 14, 01:54:23pm

Curious/Moe/etc.,
I like Dave Opfar but I really don't know how to describe the Duke's defense. I've seen some flashes of brilliance and some real talent. How can you complain about Totino, Kona, Passodalis, Lattimer, Carter, etc.

Yet the stats show that we can do better particularly against the run. We give up 177 yards a game on the ground, 156 in the air for a total of 333.5 a game. We've been giving up too many points per game too- Dayton 31, Delaware 30, Monmouth 44, CCS 31 and RoMoCo 34.

Yes, Monmouth was a disaster all around and the defense did well in the opening game against the very inexperienced Bucknell team and against the Great Danes. They were ok against Wagner- 20. They had a good game vs. the Red Flash particularly since one of their drives had to go only 2 yards (I will not directly criticize a player here). They did give up over 150 to Harbridge and 220 total on the ground with only 48 passing.

Their biggest need is to bulk up on the line to stop the run or to put more guys in the box when the passing game is checked. Coaches can also help with defensive play calls with things such as run blitzes. Agreed- dumb mistakes do hurt, but that can be addressed by the coaching staff too.

[> Subject: Re: Duquesne Defensive Analysis

Author:
Shaler Tom
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Sunday, November 14, 10:11:52am

You are right about bulking up Coffee. Despite the fact that we have some very good athletes on D, we are under sized and against big O lines, we just get pushed around. That was very evident against RMU.

Author:
Iron Duke
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Sunday, November 14, 10:31:37am

I agree that the defense needs to stop the run better but I would add some "minor" excuses for the defense which makes it harder for them. When the offense is good, it is great. When they sputter, it puts the defense on the field too long which makes it hard to box in the run as the game goes on. Also, the punt team has to lengthen the field for the opposition. And amen to the comment that giving them a first and goal at the two doesn't help. Last, the line is talented, but by no means heavy enough to shut down Delaware and the improving NEC.

But, you know what they say about excuses...

Author:
Curious
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Sunday, November 14, 01:54:23pm

My opinions (which are worth the paper on which they are written)...

The D-line seems undersized. As previously mentioned, they get pushed around allowing big holes and also allowing the opponents' O-line to successfully reach the linebackers. There appears to be decent athleticism on the D-Line. Maybe an extra year in the weight room will help.

In addition, the Dukes run a 3-4 now. It is usually the job of the D-linemen in this set-up to occupy the O-Line and allow the linebackers to "clean up". The D-line MUST command double-teams. Without reviewing game film, it would appear that this aspect of the D-line's game was inconsistent this year.

Linebacker play is a bit (and this is all relative) inconsistent, as well. I'm not sure how much can be attributed to the fact that (particularly the inside backers) often have O-linemen in their faces and how much can be attributed to making bad decisions and/or being out of position. Once again, without reviewing game film I'm at a bit of a loss.

I wasn't focused on this aspect of the game during the games, but I question our defensive backs' run support. Quick reads need to be made and d-backs need to get off downfield blocks quickly.

Personally, I really like Opfar's overall schemes. The Dukes made quantum leaps this year on defense and I suspect that (even after losing Totino, et al.) the defense will be even better next year as; 1.) Opfar adjusts to the talent available, and 2.) as the talent adjusts to Opfar.

I trust that the major recruiting focus this off-season will be bringing some additional BEEF to The Bluff. I also have a personal preference for players with outstanding FOOTBALL SMARTS. We are losing a few "High Football IQ" players this year. Hopefully, a few more of the young guys can show that they are Game-Day PhDs!

Subject: Thank God for WMNY!

Author:
Coffee
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, November 13, 09:52:02pm

At first I was VERY disappointed that Clear channel didn't pick up Duquesne Football when the inked a deal to do the basketball games. Now I'm glad 104.7 didn't.

Don't get me wrong- I'm a conservative to moderate Republican but the radio spots for our new radio home show why this nation has lost the ability to compromise and achieve consensus in our democracy. Political discourse has become nothing but negative, thoughtless knee-jerk and hateful mud-slinging. I guess I just need to push the button after the game is over. Great game against an over-matched opponent. It was good to see Theis back and doing well.

[> Subject: Re: Thank God for WMNY!

Author:
Marquis
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, November 20, 11:53:07am

I was just listening to the American Entrepreneur with Ron Morris before the Bryant game started. This is quite an intellectually superior show compared to the hateful partisan drivel offered in "News" Talk on 104.7.

It would be neat if Ryan Gavatorda did a couple of radio spots to be played during his show to warm up for the Duke's games next year. Ryan is doing a great job now that he is feeling more comfortable. I've been happy with the show on WMNY. I just wish their signal was stronger, but you can't have everything.

Subject: Dukes win 402nd Against St. Francis 41-17

Author:
Marquis
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, November 13, 09:07:00pm

8% of our all time wins have come against the Red Flash. Next week's game with Bryant determines 3rd place in the NEC.

[> Subject: Re: Dukes win 402nd Against St. Francis 41-17

Author:
George
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, November 13, 08:09:41pm

Next week will be tough on the road vs Bryant. The Bulldogs beat Robert Morris 27-21 today and are 6-0 at home.

[> [> Subject: Re: Dukes win 402nd Against St. Francis 41-17

Author:
Coffee
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, November 13, 09:07:00pm

This would have been a great day to spend all day at Duquesne. I should have made plans to have a nice brunch, enjoyed the blowout at Rooney, had dinner, enjoyed the blowout at Palumbo and then I could still be at the Red Ring hoisting a few. Too bad I can't crash at the dorms any more at the end of the night.

Subject: Duquesne's 400th Win!!!

Author:
Coffee
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, November 13, 03:55:56pm

According to the College Football data Warehouse, Duquesne's all time record going back to 1891 stood at 396-294-25 at the beginning of the season. The Data Warehouse is the most complete of any site I know.

The Sacred Heart win was number 400 and the Wagner win was 401. As of now the record is 401-298-25. Not a bad record for the Boys from the Bluff!!!

[> Subject: Re: Duquesne's 400th Win and Other Stuff

Author:
Always a Duke
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, November 06, 02:12:22am

Thanks, Coffee, for keeping us so well informed about the history of the Duquesne Football Program. You are clearly the unofficial historian of the football team. I suspect that you've done more historic research on the team than has the Athletic Dept.

I'm sorry that all of your hard work to develop a fitting trophy for the winner of each year's Duquesne-Bobby Mo game did not result in acceptance by Robert Morris. Perhaps Bobby Mo might be willing to accept such a trophy if it were sponsored by the tobacco company that makes Joe Walton's favorite brand of chewing tobacco.

Unlike you, I'm not particularly rooting for Robert Morris to beat Central Conn. State this afternoon. However, it will be interesting to see if the game draws a standing room only crowd.

As for next year's schedule, I found out from Julie Shepard, the Director of the Office of Alumni Relations, that Duquesne's homecoming will be the first weekend in October 2011; and the Dukes' opponent on October 1, 2011, will be Wagner.

[> [> Subject: Re: Duquesne's 400th Win and Other Stuff

Author:
A83
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, November 06, 11:13:30am

Thanks Coffee. Thank you for researching and recognizing the 400th win of DU football. I share Alway's opinion. Go Central Ct!!!

[> [> [> Subject: Re: Duquesne's 400th Win and Other Stuff

Author:
Coffee
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Sunday, November 07, 09:56:30am

Hey, I'd much rather RoMoCo win the conference. Nobody gets much joy out of beating the snot out of a wimpy rival. It's not much fun beating up on the Browns anymore and paying St. Francis back this year will mean just that much more after last year's game. I liked playing La Salle since they were from the A-10, but I'd have enjoyed beating them more when their team was respectable.

I didn't do much of the work on Duquesne's 400th "documented" win other than to try to fill in some of the Duke's early record when the school was actually known as the Pittsburgh College of the Holy Ghost. I'm afraid some of the early games results will never be known.

I did my best with early newspaper and other college's records to fill in the pre-1900's record. These games are recorded in the College Football Data Warehouse, but not in our now electronic Media Guide.

We really need to recognize our history and tradition better. Some of these teams had impressive records.

Incidentally, the answer to the question posed in the blog poll of who our first recorded collegiate was is "Washington and Jefferson" not West Virginia as in the Media Guide. W & J's records clearly document this game.

[> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Duquesne's 400th Win and Other Stuff

Author:
Curious
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Sunday, November 07, 10:45:58am

How is it that the Dukes' "media guide" is incorrect???

It's not like the correct information is not out there.

[> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Duquesne's 400th Win and Other Stuff

Author:
Coffee
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Sunday, November 07, 03:23:35pm

Last year I did some research into trying to find record of the very earliest games on record for the Duquesne Football team. Unfortunately, like many other schools, records were not well kept when the schools played athletic clubs, company teams and even high school teams. I found a couple of games that were listed in other college records and many more that were listed in the Pittsburgh newspapers of the time.

I was able to fill in quite a bit of the pre-1900's record and sent it along to the Athletic Department and to the College Football Data Warehouse site that cross checks these score for accuracy. I even found a game recorded between the Pittsburgh College of the Holy Ghost (early Duquesne) and the Western University of Pennsylvania (early Pitt) which was won by Duquesne. This took some time and care to get it right since there were records the listed the Duquesne Athletic Club as the "Duquesne" team. I found that there was even a Duquesne College in Pittsburgh well before the present school changed its name to Duquesne. By the way, my masters in history is from Duquesne.

Much of what I found is now on the blog if you page down.

[> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Duquesne's 400th Win and Other Stuff

Author:
Coffee
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Sunday, November 07, 04:43:20pm

My apologies to the Athletic Department! They did add the Washington and Jefferson game to their all time records.

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Duquesne's 400th Win and Other Stuff

Author:
Curious
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Tuesday, November 09, 11:22:20am

But the Media Guide still says:

"1897 marked the first season Duquesne fielded a team made up of strictly DU students. The game against West Virginia was the Dukes first against a university team."

...which ignores the Washington & Jefferson game in 1893.

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Duquesne's 400th Win and Other Stuff

Author:
Curious
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Tuesday, November 09, 11:26:22am

AND the Dukes played Washington & Jefferson two weeks before they played West Virginia in October of 1897.

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Duquesne's 400th Win and Other Stuff

Author:
Coffee
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Tuesday, November 09, 07:19:26pm

They kept the narrative you quoted, but they did add the Washington and Jefferson game that I sent them to the 1893 schedule. I also sent them the entire schedule and results from 1894 but that has yet to be included.

If you notice, none of the scores prior to 1902 are included in the opponents record section or overall record. If I were a visiting media person, I'd be more impressed with the program if I see some citations listing series going back to the 19th Century. The games I sent in would also increase the Dukes total wins recorded and their historical winning percentage.

I have a feeling that the media guide records section is a yearly publication that had been written years ago and rarely updated. No individual or team statistic goes back further than 1980 yet Duquesne won a game against Ashland by almost 100 points. There had to be a few individual game records set in that one. I'm not about to try to find individual stats from that far back. Some of those records may have been held by the Chief, Art Rooney who was quite a QB and place kicker.

[> Subject: Re: Duquesne's 400th Win!!!

Author:
El Duque
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Monday, November 08, 01:40:21pm

Same amount of wins (in the same amount of time) as JoePa!

[> [> Subject: Re: Duquesne's 400th Win!!!

Author:
Coffee
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Tuesday, November 09, 07:22:56pm

It goes to show just how impressive (and old) JoPa is! Greg Gatuso won just under 100 for the most Duquesne wins.

[> Subject: Re: Duquesne's 400th Win!!!

Author:
QuincyD
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, November 13, 11:49:24am

Blasphemy, I say! To use the Number 400 in this regard is sacrilegous! That number should be retired for all usage except when referring to the greatest coach of all time...Mr. Joe Paterno.

[> Subject: Duquesne's 402nd Win Over St. Francis 41-17!

Author:
Marquis
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, November 13, 03:55:56pm

Dukes can take 3rd Place if they beat Bryant next week. RoMoCo lost to them this week.

Subject: Dukes/Red Flash Prediction from Blog

Author:
Coffee
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Friday, November 12, 08:13:59pm

The Dukes and St. Francis
Duquesne has played St. Francis more often than any other opponent. Of the 36 games since the first in 1913, the Dukes have won 30.

Last year's win by St. Francis (31-14) was their first since both teams moved to 1-AA/FCS.

It is important that the Dukes don't under-estimate the 1-8 St. Francis team. Aside from beating the Dukes last year, their one win was a convincing one over Sacred Heart 41-0. Last week St, Francis played well on the road in California against nationally ranked Cal Poly before losing 41-33.

Duquesne Defensive Coordinator Dave Opfar should know the Red Flash well. He was their coach that led them to victory over the Dukes last year.

Larry McCoy provided a bright spot vs Robert Morris by going over 1,000 yards. His 1,030 is the most of any Duquesne back since since 2003.

Prediction: Duquesne puts it all together on Senior Day to win 31-13. Seniors Conner Dixon and Dave Williams go out in style.

Subject: Know your opponent - St. Francis Red Flash

Author:
Curious
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Wednesday, November 10, 09:30:44pm

Duquesne game notes:

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/duqu/sports/m-footbl/auto_pdf/weekly-release.pdf

St. Francis game notes:

http://www.francis.edu/uploadedFiles/Athletics/Athletic_Smart_Forms/Sport_Stories/Football/2010%20football%20notes_duquesne.pdf

Subject: Duquesne Football Trivia

Author:
Coffee
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Wednesday, November 10, 03:30:27pm

Duquesne Trivia to fill the lull between the Robert Morris game and the game next week with St. Francis.

The blog (See link above) lists a record of all games Duquesne has played with college teams from Pittsburgh. This includes games against Pitt, CMU and Robert Morris. The is record of Duquesne playing another college team from Pittsburgh. Which college team was it?

Bonus: When was it played and what was the score?

[> Subject: Re: Duquesne Football Trivia

Author:
Marquis
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Sunday, November 07, 04:45:08pm

How are you defining a "Pittsburgh Team"? City limits? Metro Area? Region? There are many teams such as St. Vincent, St. Francis, Cal.U, etc. that have played Duquesne.

[> [> Subject: Re: Duquesne Football Trivia

Author:
Coffee
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Tuesday, November 09, 07:03:33pm

This other collegiate team is in Allegheny County.

[> [> [> Subject: Re: Duquesne Football Trivia

Author:
Iron Duke
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Wednesday, November 10, 03:30:27pm

It must be CCAC when they had a college club team.

Subject: Dukes hold steady in Gridiron Power Index (GPI)

Author:
Curious
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Tuesday, November 09, 07:48:05pm

http://www.collegesportingnews.com/content.php?310-GPI-11-09-2010

DUQUESNE #67 (out of 124)

NEC RANKINGS:

24 Robert Morris
55 Central Connecticut
67 Duquesne
68 Bryant
69 Albany
79 Wagner
82 Monmouth
100 Sacred Heart
110 St Francis

Conference Ranking:

1. Colonial Athletic Association (22.013)
2. Big Sky Conference (28.333)
3. Missouri Valley Football Conference (29.250)
4. Southern Conference (30.069)
5. Great West Conference (38.500)
6. Southland Conference (42.069)
7. Ohio Valley Conference (44.667)
8. NORTHEAST CONFERENCE (52.123)
9. Ivy League (56.734)
10. Southwestern Athletic Conference (60.738)
11. Big South Conference (61.357)
12. Patriot League (63.804)
13. Independents (66.625)
14. Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference (67.014)
15. Pioneer Football League (68.400)

[> Subject: Re: Dukes hold steady in Gridiron Power Index (GPI)

Author:
Marquis
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Tuesday, November 09, 08:35:45pm

The team and the conference can now say that statistically, they are true FCS/1-AA. They played three teams that got a considerable amount of votes in the AP, AGS, and TSN Polls and beat 1 of three. RoMoCo is now anywhere from #21 to #19, Delaware is either #1 or #2 and Dayton is just out of the Top 25, but still getting a considerable number of votes.

The NEC has leapfrogged a number of conferences that used to be considered "playing up" to- The Patriot, Big South, Ivy and others. The "Mid-Major" label is happily no more. Dave Mackall, a writer that I have great respect for used to say that Duquesne Football was not a true 1-AA team. I believe that Dave's assertion is no longer valid.

Subject: Dukes slip slightly in Gridiron Power Index (GPI)

Author:
Curious
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Thursday, November 04, 01:12:00pm

http://www.collegesportingnews.com/content.php?303-GPI-11-02-2010

DUQUESNE #67 (out of 124)

NEC Rankings:

29 Robert Morris
49 Central Connecticut
67 Duquesne
71 Monmouth
72 Albany
77 Bryant
83 Wagner
98 Sacred Heart
108 St Francis

Conference Ranking:

1. Colonial Athletic Association (22.100)
2. Missouri Valley Football Conference (28.078)
3. Big Sky Conference (28.391)
4. Southern Conference (30.028)
5. Great West Conference (36.375)
6. Southland Conference (41.028)
7. Ohio Valley Conference (44.264)
8. NORTHEAST CONFERENCE (52.117)
9. Ivy League (57.406)
10. Southwestern Athletic Conference (61.050)
11. Big South Conference (61.857)
12. Patriot League (64.161)
13. Independents (65.3125)
14. Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference (67.292)
15. Pioneer Football League (68.738)

Subject: Here's to the biggest Iron Dukes win of the year (so far).

Author:
El Duque
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Thursday, November 04, 11:23:16am

I'm going with DU 21, Romoco 3. Defense plays big, tough and aggressive. One long drive, one TD off special teams, and a good catch in the corner of the end zone by Bunevich.

Another prediction: Judge Jack will preside over the finest pregame tailgate in the city this weekend. Oops, Romoco is OUTSIDE the city (as is ESPitt).

[> Subject: Re: Here's to the biggest Iron Dukes win of the year (so far).

Author:
Jason2012
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, October 30, 04:18:46pm

In my opinion the Dukes quit today, shame on the coaching staff for letting this happen!

[> [> Subject: Re: Here's to the biggest Iron Dukes win of the year (so far).

Author:
Shoey
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, October 30, 04:22:38pm

Jason- beg to differ with you........this team may be alot of things but they didnt quit..........sometimes ur just outplayed and outcoached total team effort in loss..Just got beat today.......hats off to RMU.

Author:
Curious
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, October 30, 04:23:48pm

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, Jason.

My opinion is that you are wrong, and are being unfair.

Author:
boo
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Sunday, October 31, 10:48:20am

I agree ..I think the team played poorly and coaches coached pathetically. It seemed like both gave up after the 1st half. There were too many missed tackles, dropped passes, poorly thrown passes and predictable plays for Robert Morris NOT to win. Why did we only go for a field goal in the 3rd qtr- which we missed by the way- when there was plenty of time left in the half? We MIGHT have gotten lucky and scored a TD right then..? What a pathetic show of no confidence the coaches expressed towards the team by doing that. Unbelievable.
And why do we run almost EVERY first down???? So freaking predictable. I think the coaches deserve most of the blame for this loss. Sad for the team, so much talent NOT being properly developed.

[> [> [> Subject: venting after the big loss.

Author:
Shoey
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Sunday, October 31, 11:56:42am

In my opinion.......The offense has unique talent in Dixon (tall fast receiver), Williams a burner and shifty, Moore physical specimen, Bunevich a tall proto-type Tight end with great hands....McCoy a very efficient runner, Bair and Ho nice third down change of pace guys and Patterson a playmaker that can run around and make plays. All of this with a undersized average to below average line. We have a young OC that runs a offense that is made for robot average players. We have not been creative (Dixon a onetime MSU QB) has not thrown a pass out of any set. We rarely use screens to stop the rush and protect our QB. You can set your clock to the run every first down. With all that said I think we need to adjust to our scholarship kids tha we have and run a offense that caters to their talents and strengths rather than force feed a offense that a non athlete can play.
Defensively I think we just need more size on the interior and some heighth at the DB.....obviously we need some fine tuning on schemes but Opfar has been a great addition.
On spcial teams our Kick return has greatly improved. I have to believe that there is one player out there that kick fg and punt in Western Pa. consistently.
With all that said if we can go 7-4 and finish third (although not a championship) it is definitely a move in the right direction. Just a couple of steps away after three years of schollies!!!!

[> [> [> [> Subject: Re: venting after the big loss.

Author:
Dukes' Mom
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Monday, November 01, 01:39:16pm

Well said Shoey! Let's win our remaining two games. Good luck to our Seniors - we'll miss you!

[> [> [> [> Subject: Re: venting after the big loss.

Author:
412 Express
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Tuesday, November 02, 01:47:15pm

A devastating loss. Can't really blame just one aspect, another team loss. I agree with the wealth of talent that is being under-utilized. I could not make the game, but just from what I could see through the TV it seemed Romo was a lot more energetic and intense. Intensity, another quality Mr. Schmitt just does not posess. We have 2 6'4 receivers (dixon bunovich) how can you cover the fade on both? Finally exploited that, good job. The O-line is definitely under-sized but i wouldnt say below average...Mccoy is the leading rusher in the NEC correct? 1000 yards with 2 games remaining isnt possible with a below average line. Lets come out firing these next 2 games 7-4 is a lot better than 5-6!!

[> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: venting after the big loss.

Author:
Shoey
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Thursday, November 04, 11:23:16am

412- o/L noted on run blocking and if you just look at McCoy yards thats a point BUT......but we still are below average in short yardage situations. we are just not BIG enough up front. In pass blocking definitely below average we have 18 sacks with a mobile qb that has probably avoided another 18. I would of loved to see what our passing attack would of done to RMU with the time Sinclair got. Thank god it was windy and he wasnt accurate or it could of been worse because he had time to eat his lunch back there.

Subject: Commentary from the Duquesne Blog

Author:
Coffee
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Monday, November 01, 10:35:26pm

I’m far from able to cast the first stone and I know that we live in a culture that increasingly follows the maxim that “If you aren’t cheating you aren’t really trying”. This may also come off as sour grapes but honestly, the Colonials are good enough to have won yesterday without the help of a poorly hidden "scouting party".

However, this is a game where sportsmanship matters and where coaches need to teach more than just football. Unfortunately, I can’t really claim that no one with Duquesne connections would ever get caught doing something unethical.

Next week Robert Morris takes on Central Connecticut State who is also undefeated in the NEC to determine who will be the first conference team ever to make the FCS Playoffs. I wish RMU all the fortune in the world since they are a team from Pittsburgh and the Dukes are now out of the running. Their victory over the Dukes was unquestioned but the methods of some may be.

Subject: RMU

Author:
Shaler Tom
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, October 30, 04:05:20pm

This is as big a game as the Dukes have had in a long time folks. Although the obvious "Homer" call at CCSU probably cost us a shot at the NEC title, it sure would be nice to deny the Colonials of that honor. Its not going to be easy however. RMU is the real deal and the Dukes will have to be at their best to come out on top.

I beleive they have the talent certainly to win this game but I'm afraid that we've become VERY predictable. If you go back to saturdays game and look at the play selection, you'll see what I mean. All told we had 12 possessions and 10 times we ran the ball on first down. Our receivers kept coming through on third down for sure, they are that good, but to beat RMU, we're going to have to open things up a bit, the same way we did at Delaware. I say, throw caution to the wind and throw on first down.

[> Subject: Re: RMU

Author:
Marquis
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Sunday, October 24, 10:47:33pm

This should be a great game. I'm hoping that the Dukes can bring along some fans. How many does Walton hold?

[> [> Subject: Re: RMU

Author:
Coffee
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Sunday, October 24, 10:49:14pm

RMU at 123 and Duquesne at 164 are the two top ranked NEC teams according to the RPI.

Author:
George
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Sunday, October 24, 11:09:58pm

The Dukes have more weapons healthy for Robert Morris and their defense showed that it is solidifying. The biggest difference if that the Dukes are balancing with a real ground game. Larry McCoy already has more yards than any back since Mike Hilliard back in '03. Hopefully he goes well over 1000 yards this season vs Bobby Mo.

I like our chances.

Author:
Curious
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Sunday, October 24, 11:37:47pm

Joe Walton Stadium has an official capacity of 3,000.

Author:
Shoey
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Sunday, October 24, 10:52:14pm

TS- I couldnt agree more, we are asking alot of our O/L to protect the QB all of the time on 3rd and long. When we do throw on first down it is always that little flare pass. McCoy is the leading rusher in the league....PLAY ACTION!!! I would also like to see us use the screen pass to McCoy and Bair more. On at least 5 occasions Patterson got hit so hard on that final drive I didnt think he was getting up including the TD pass. I think we have to let it all hangout in this game. I like the Dukes in a mild upset I think we are just as talented if not more than RMU.
Dukies 31 RMU 27 in a wild one!!! The cardiac Kids do it again!!!!!

Author:
Duke of Hazard
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Monday, October 25, 08:23:44pm

Shoey- You were right last week. I hope you are right this week too!

Author:
Judge Jack McVay Jr
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Wednesday, October 27, 12:40:01pm

Shaler Tom ,Coffey,et al., The alumni association has a good deal, pregame tailgate and ticket kegs and eggs starting at 10 am in "tailgate alley" for 15 dollars ($15.00)! We are trying to get a group of alumni ( ex players too )to attend and support the Dukes in what has become a huge game! Hope to see you all there and Go Dukes! Jack

Author:
Always a Duke
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Thursday, October 28, 09:19:19am

At this time you will be unable to register for the Kegs & Eggs pre-game event on line. However, it might not too late to register by phone. Call the Alumni Office at 412 396-6209 or 1 800 456-8338. It will be great to have plenty of Duquesne fans there to enjoy the Dukes' win!

Author:
Coffee
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Thursday, October 28, 10:40:40pm

Of all the games I have to miss. I have a duty weekend with the Coast Guard.

Author:
moe
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Thursday, October 28, 09:02:05pm

Did anyone happen to hear what Jerry Schmitt had to say on the radio aired from Cupkas tonight?

Author:
Shoey
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, October 30, 04:05:20pm

TS- Our offensive play calling is so predictable we have been lucky in the previous game when we throw the gameplan out and just let the QB and WR play catch. Today we were SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSOOOOOOOOOOOO conservative for a team that needed a win to have a chance at a NEC title. I thought we played it too tight to the vest and when w got down it was too late even though we made a nice drive early in the 4th. When we play fast McCoy, Dixon, Williams and Patterson are so much better. As a sidenote I have never seen a ref tell the team to take the QB out. What a warior that kid is. Not gonna get too down we still can win 7 games. I was also told Dixon may be able to get a 6th year....that would be great for the team and him because he needs another year at WR to help him get tothe next level. At the SF game I hope we see alot of big bodies as recruits.......we got killed at the line of scrimmage both sides today.

Subject: Pass Interference

Author:
A83
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, October 30, 01:22:49pm

Both pass interferences penalties on DU in the fist half were total jokes.

Subject: USA Today mention of Duquesne vs. Robert Morris

Author:
Curious
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, October 30, 09:09:41am

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/football/2010-10-27-small-school-rivalries_N.htm

Small schools foster big rivalries with plenty of drama

By Scott Gleeson and Craig Bennett, USA TODAY

USA TODAY looks at some lower-division rivalries where the spotlight might not be as bright as Florida-Florida State but where the action can be just as spirited:

Championship Subdivision

Duquesne (5-3) at Robert Morris (6-1)

Saturday, noon ET

Series: Duquesne leads 6-5

•Pittsburgh proper vs. the suburbs (RMU is in Moon Township). Adding spice is that the schools are both in the Northeast Conference. For the first time this year, the league title brings with it an automatic spot in the NCAA playoffs. Robert Morris leads the NEC with a 5-0 mark; Duquesne is 3-2.

This year's game is at Joe Walton Stadium, named in 2005 in honor of the only football coach Robert Morris has had. Walton had coaching stints with the NFL's Washington Redskins, New York Giants and Pittsburgh Steelers before starting the grass-roots Robert Morris program.

"The rivalry has always been great for both schools," Walton said. "It generates a lot of interest, and the kids have more enthusiasm for the game. I remember when we first started playing (Duquesne), it was standing room only and we were neophytes. It's been a friendly rivalry ever since."

Walton linked Saturday's game to the Pittsburgh-West Virginia rivalry he experienced as a college player with the Panthers: "It brings me back to the Backyard Brawl. Even with smaller programs, the atmosphere doesn't change."

[> Subject: Re: USA Today mention of Duquesne vs. Robert Morris

Author:
Always a Duke
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Thursday, October 28, 11:04:10pm

What does it say about the sports coverage of the two largest newspapers in Pittsburgh when a national newspaper has an article about the Duquesne-Bobby Mo football rivalry and upcoming game before the local papers put out any story about the game? It certainly appears that neither of the sports editors of these papers make any distinction between FCS football teams and those of Div II, Div III & NAIA teams as evidenced by their minimal coverage of the Dukes, Colonials, and the Red Flash, all members of the NEC. I won't be surprised if a brief account of Saturday's game gets buried deep in the Pgh. P-G's "District Football Roundup" behind an in depth analysis of the Juniata-(Dr.)John Hopkins grudge game.

[> [> Subject: Some blogger in NY compared the Dukes' game-winning TD drive to a classic John Elway march. Me, I think this stuff is cool. Go Dukes!

Author:
El Duque
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Thursday, October 28, 11:44:24pm

[> [> [> Subject: Re: Some blogger in NY compared the Dukes' game-winning TD drive to a classic John Elway march. Me, I think this stuff is cool. Go Dukes!

Author:
Curious
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Friday, October 29, 01:30:23am

http://www.silive.com/colleges/index.ssf/2010/10/duquesnes_john_elway_type_driv.html

Duquesne's John Elway type drive was a crusher for Wagner

Published: Thursday, October 28, 2010, 3:44 PM
By: Jim Waggoner

Sean Patterson, meet John Elway.

Elway, the Pro Football Hall of Fame quarterback, apparently has nothing on Patterson, the Duquesne University sophomore signal-caller.

Patterson engineered a 14-play, 98-yard touchdown drive — let’s call it “The Drive” — in the final minutes of last Saturday’s dramatic 21-20 road victory at Wagner.

The loss drove a spike in the heart of Wagner’s Northeast Conference championship hopes, coming in front of a festive Homecoming crowd of nearly 3,000.

Elway, as any football historian worth his salt knows, led the Denver Broncos on a 15-play, 98-yard series at the end of regulation in a 23-20 AFC Championship Game victory over the Cleveland Browns on Jan. 11, 1987. The Denver faithful refer to it as “The Drive.” Wagner can feel Cleveland’s pain.

“We’re all on the sidelines really just getting behind our defense and sticking with them,” said 6-foot-5, 290-pound Wagner senior left tackle Zach Johnson. “We’re trying to give them as much encouragement as we can from the sidelines.

“We’re a team ... we have great team unity. We really pride ourselves in that.”

Wagner coach Walt Hameline, who was denied his 200th career victory despite taking a 20-7 lead into the fourth quarter, said there was no second-guessing after the left-handed Patterson connected with Michigan State transfer Dave Williams on a 16-yard TD pass in the back of the end zone with 1:41 remaining.

The PAT gave the Dukes their first lead of the day.

“They get the ball on the 2-yard line (with 6:08 left) and we like our chances,” said Hameline. “That’s a long way to go and our defense has been tough all season.”

Patterson converted four consecutive third-and-long passes — the first on a 20-yard completion to Connor Dixon from the Duquesne 11.

Two plays later, Wagner strong safety Stefen Gage had a potential interception bounce out of his hands and on the next snap Patterson connected with Akeem Moore for 16 yards.

“They ran some different things ... they sprang him (Patterson) outside on rollouts,” said Hameline.

On the TD pass, “We have a guy (defensive end Mike Cox) holding on to the quarterback as he throws the ball ... he was rolling to his left and he throws the thing into the end zone ... and it barely goes over the hands of our guy.

“So it is a game of inches.”

Patterson completed 4 of 9 passes for 91 on the winning drive — none bigger than a 39-yard toss to Williams, a third-and-15 connection that got the Dukes to the Wagner 17.

“The kid made some plays ... you look at their quarterback and the plays he made,” said Hameline. “It wasn’t an effort thing. They (Dukes) were put in tough situations where they had to make plays and they made the plays.”

Wagner’s final comeback attempt ended when Nick Doscher’s fourth-down pass was intercepted at the visitors’ 26 with 55 seconds remaining.

“That last one, I don’t think there was anybody open,” said Hameline. “I thought they covered us pretty well.”

The Seahawks dropped to 2-2 in NEC play and 4-3 overall. They lost a golden opportunity to put heat on league leaders Robert Morris (5-0) and Central Connecticut (4-0), while falling behind Monmouth (3-1) and Duquesne (3-2).

Bottom line? Wagner sits in fifth place rather than third place.

“Our goal this week is to bounce back from that devastating loss,” said Johnson, the offensive tackle. “We really wanted to win on Homecoming, to give Coach Hameline his 200th win ... there were a lot of things at stake.

“But we still have goals and still want to accomplish those goals.”

Hameline echoed that hang-in-there theme.

“If you look at the big picture, we have four games left,” he said. “If we win four games we’re 8-3 ... and I think I’d take that right now.”

How does he deal with a loss?

“It rips you apart,” he admitted.

“You go home and lay in bed and think of all the things ... then you come in here on Sunday and look at the film and talk to the kids and start working on the next opponent.”

That would be defending NEC champion Central Connecticut State, currently perfect in league play, on the road Saturday.

THE DUQUESNE DRIVE

1. First down and 10, Duquesne 2-yard line. Marek Lapinski 3-yard run.
2. Second down and 7, Duquesne 5-yard line. Larry McCoy 10-yard run.
3. First down and 10, Duquesne 15-yard line. Incomplete pass by Sean Patterson.
4. Second down and 10, Duquesne 15-yard line. McCoy 4-yard loss.
5. Third down and 14, Duquesne 11-yard line. Connor Dixon 20-yard pass from Patterson.
6. First down and 10, Duquesne 31-yard line. McCoy 2-yard run.
7. Second down and 8, Duquesne 33-yard line. Incomplete pass by Patterson.
8. Third down and 8, Duquesne 33-yard line. Akeem Moore 16-yard pass from Patterson.
9. First down and 10, Duquesne 49-yard line. Incomplete pass by Patterson.
10. Second down and 10, Duquesne 49-yard line. Incomplete pass by Patterson.
11a. Third down and 10, Duquesne 49-yard line. False start, 5-yard penalty.
11b. Third down and 15, Duquesne 44-yard line. Dave Williams 39-yard pass from Patterson.
12. First down and 10, Wagner 17-yard line. Incomplete pass by Patterson.
13. Second down and 10, Wagner 17-yard line. McCoy 1-yard run.
14. Third down and 9, Wagner 16-yard line. Williams 16-yard TD pass from Patterson. Eric Duale PAT kick.

[> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Some blogger in NY compared the Dukes' game-winning TD drive to a classic John Elway march. Me, I think this stuff is cool. Go Dukes!

Author:
Shoey
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Friday, October 29, 01:27:12pm

Probably one of the most excitng games I ever saw.............it is awesome to see somene actually have passion what they are writing about.....rivals our own Coffee! Little does he know that is the third time the offense has done this in 8 games! The Cardiac kids

[> [> Subject: Re: USA Today mention of Duquesne vs. Robert Morris

Author:
Coffee
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Friday, October 29, 09:24:37pm

A.A.D- Another great example of better coverage of our own program from those out of state. You would think that we would have a couple articles since BOTH the Dukes and RO MO play head to head.

From the Trib and PG... If we ain't Pitt we don't get sh%#%!

Subject: Riddle:

Author:
Marquis
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Friday, October 29, 11:44:19pm

Which former Duquesne player who now is associated with the Colonials was caught spying on the Duke's practice this week?

[> Subject: Re: Riddle:

Author:
putupyourdukes
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Friday, October 29, 09:17:48pm

the fonz?

Author:
Always a Duke
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Friday, October 29, 09:40:17pm

I'm guessing it was Mauro Monz, Robert Morris' Special Offensive Assistant, or his brother Mark. It appears that this game means so much to Bobby Mo that spying on the Dukes' practice is fair game under the Great Walton. Lots of class!

Hey Dukes' fans, come to the game instead of watching on TV. You'll enjoy the Dukes' victory all the more.

GO DUKES!

Author:
Duke of Hazard
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Friday, October 29, 11:44:19pm

What's dumber- Spying or getting caught?

Subject: The Sports Network

Author:
The Duke
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Friday, October 29, 10:41:59pm

TSN writes some nice things about McCoy but picks the Bobbies to win. See- http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/misc/gaddess/index.htm

We will see tomorrow- GO DUKES!!!!!

[> Subject: Re: The Sports Network

Author:
Charles
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Friday, October 29, 10:45:19pm

The Sports Network, USA Today and other out of town mags and rags are covering this game better than the Trib and PG.

Subject: Know your opponent - Robert Morris Colonials

Author:
Curious
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Wednesday, October 27, 09:51:04pm

Robert Morris game notes:

http://www.rmucolonials.com//pdf8/719267.pdf?DB_OEM_ID=13900

Duquesne game notes:

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/duqu/sports/m-footbl/auto_pdf/weekly-release.pdf

Subject: Duquesne/RMU Trophy- Now or never for this year.

Author:
Coffee
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Wednesday, October 27, 12:15:51pm

Judge Jack and others. I'd like to have a group to go and meet with the folks at Robert Morris concerning the Challenge Trophy. If we don't get it done this week we may as well forget about it for this year.

I'm not really getting much follow-up from the Athletic Dept.

[> Subject: Re: Duquesne/RMU Trophy- Now or never for this year.

Author:
Always a Duke
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Monday, October 04, 08:56:18pm

I'd be interested in going to the meeting. I'd likely be free Wednesday through Friday.

[> [> Subject: Re: Duquesne/RMU Trophy- Now or never for this year.

Author:
Coffee
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Tuesday, October 05, 03:55:32pm

Always a Duke- Did you say that you knew somebody at RMU?

[> [> [> Subject: Re: Duquesne/RMU Trophy- Now or never for this year.

Author:
Always a Duke
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Tuesday, October 05, 07:52:38pm

Coffee, I don't know anyone at Bobby Mo's Athletic Dept., but I know that Bobbie Jo Belus, Assistant Director, Development in the Dukes' Athletic Dept graduated from Robert Morris several years ago. She worked as an intern in Robert Morris' Athletic Dep. when she was an undergrad there. She most likely knows some people there. Sorry, but that's the best I can do.

[> Subject: Re: Duquesne/RMU Trophy- Now or never for this year.

Author:
Judge Jack McVay Jr
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Tuesday, October 05, 12:30:26am

Great idea Coffee and I am in for the meeting!Also, will get you an alumni list, and I am working on another order for the "Iron Dukes" throwback jerseys we wore on Saturday! will send you a private email also!

[> [> Subject: Jack, did you play at DU in the late 1970s? I was sports editor of The Duke in '79-'80.

Author:
El Duque
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Tuesday, October 05, 05:32:09pm

[> [> [> Subject: Re: Jack, did you play at DU in the late 1970s? I was sports editor of The Duke in '79-'80.

Author:
Judge Jack McVay Jr
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Tuesday, October 05, 06:16:23pm

Hey El Duque! Yes although in 79 I was playing intramurals and establishing what I believe to be the "games played" record {poorly played as they may have been}upon consideration of 10 years of undergraduate and law school participation! I admittedly haven't confirmed my claim to the record with Intramural Czar Rich Spear!

[> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Jack, did you play at DU in the late 1970s? I was sports editor of The Duke in '79-'80.

Author:
El Duque
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Wednesday, October 06, 11:52:58am

Ah, the glory days of IM football! Couple guys on the Playboys, Sheiks and Law School teams actually qualified for pensions! :o)

But you must've played on some of the better club teams, including the National Championship team. A lot of folks may not know or remember the history, but Coach McCann (who, by the way, is mentioned in Dan Rooney's autobiography) really resurrected the sport at DU. The success of the club program enabled the transition to varsity. If I'm not mistaken, 1980 was the first DIII season.

Congratulations on your post-DU success also!

[> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Jack, did you play at DU in the late 1970s? I was sports editor of The Duke in '79-'80.

Author:
Judge Jack McVay Jr
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Wednesday, October 27, 12:15:51pm

Thanks for kind words and are you still in journalism? Always enjoy your comments and classy civility! Looking forward to RMU game this week! Jack

Subject: Dukes continue to move up in Gridiron Power Index (GPI)

Author:
Curious
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Wednesday, October 27, 11:09:51am

http://www.collegesportingnews.com/content.php?297-GPI-10-27-2010-Appalachian-State-Reclaims-Top-Spot

CHICAGO — The Gridiron Power Index (GPI), the index ranking for the NCAA Division I FCS and a top indicator of at-large playoff selection released its index after the action of Week 8 of the 2010 season. Delaware's late missed field goal last Saturday did more than give them their first conference loss of the season: it also made Appalachian State leapfrog the Hens to take over the No. 1 spot from Delaware.

DUQUESNE #64 (out of 124)

Conference Ranking:

1. Colonial Athletic Association (22.963)
2. Missouri Valley Football Conference (25.861)
3. Big Sky Conference (27.264)
4. Southern Conference (30.653)
5. Great West Conference (33.80)
6. Southland Conference (40.333)
7. Ohio Valley Conference (43.625)
8. NORTHEAST CONFERENCE (52.234)
9. Ivy League (59.50)
10. Southwestern Athletic Conference (60.088)
11. Big South Conference (62.625)
12. Independents (64.375)
13. Patriot League (65.464)
14. Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference (65.569)
15. Pioneer Football League (69.388)

Subject: NEC vs Other Conferences

Author:
Coffee
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Sunday, October 24, 10:46:13pm

I didn't think that it would happen so soon, but the NEC is 17 and 17 vs other conferences with Sacred Heart's win over Georgetown. The conference has passed up the Patriot and has wins over even CAA schools.

I'm hoping that the conference champ isn't matched up against Delaware and is given a reasonable opponent.

[> Subject: Re: NEC vs Other Conferences

Author:
Curious
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Sunday, October 24, 11:43:22pm

The most likely opponent for the NEC Champion in the first round of the playoffs is the Patriot League Champion (Lehigh? Colgate?). The winner of that game would move on to face one of the seeded teams like Delaware or Appalachian State.

Delaware will probably get a first-round bye in the new 20-team playoff structure.

Subject: Honor and Political Ads

Author:
Coffee
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Sunday, October 24, 09:22:08am

I've been playing with the idea of letting ads be posted on the blog. I don't have a choice on Voy (This Forum) since it is an automatic if you use the system. So far when I've allowed ads on the blog it brought in a whopping 72 cents. I finally decided to allow the ads since some were for some neat sport sites (They try to match the ad with the site).

Just then a string of political ads came up and I reacted with disgust since this election season is the absolute wost I've ever known. Every candidate out there, according to the ads, is dishonest, wants to send your job to China and has some twisted event in their past that we need to hear about.

Where are the statesmen? Where are the men like Lincoln who simply want to guide the nation and whose honor will not allow a smear just to get power???

I'm not allowing ads until after the campaign is over. I'll have no part in this even if I don't pull in my 72 cents.

[> Subject: Re: Honor and Political Ads

Author:
A83
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Sunday, October 24, 11:25:29am

When you go back to adding ads, I will click on them so you double your earnings!!!

Subject: wagner saturday!!!

Author:
Shoey
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, October 23, 08:02:13pm

I have a real good feeling about Saturday at Wagner. We are realitively healthy and have played some good football the last 5 quarters. Momentum carries us 27 23 final. Dukes go to 5-3!!!

[> Subject: Re: wagner saturday!!!

Author:
Marquis
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Thursday, October 21, 02:22:30pm

Shoey is never wrong! Dukes win Saturday!

[> [> Subject: Re: wagner saturday!!!

Author:
Shoey
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, October 23, 08:02:13pm

Told ya!!!! Dukes had it in the bag all game!!!! We play better when we are rushed and in a hurry! What a drive 98 yards on th road to spoil the seahawks homecoming!!!!!! A huge win for te program............alot of gutsy plays in that quarter.

[> Subject: Re: Wagner Saturday!!!

Author:
Always a Duke
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, October 23, 12:09:21am

I see the Dukes winning 27-17 over (Porter) Wagner. Hopefully it will be a tune up for the game with Bobby Mo next week.

[> Subject: It is a small world. My brother who is in NY for the Notre Dame game called me at 8:15 to say he ran into the DU team in his hotel this morning. He talked to some of the coaches and said they were really nice guys. Go Dukes!

Author:
CLK
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, October 23, 08:56:41am

Subject: 21-20 Dukes UP!!!!!!!!

Author:
Coffee
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, October 23, 03:54:25pm

Wow!!!! What a comeback! I thought that the refs were going to rob us again at the last minute!!!

What a drive from the 2 yard line!

Hold 'em D!!

[> Subject: Re: 21-20 Dukes UP!!!!!!!!

Author:
Marquis
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, October 23, 03:51:09pm

PICKED OFF!!!!

Offense finally wakes up and defense slams the door!!!!!

It's nice to spoil someone else's Homecoming!!!!

[> Subject: Re: 21-20 Dukes UP!!!!!!!!

Author:
Coffee
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, October 23, 03:54:25pm

Sorry- I got so excited at the end of the game that I accidently deleted some of the game posts.

Subject: A Suggestion- What if...

Author:
George
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, October 23, 02:32:54pm

I was just playing with "Google Earth" and noticed all of the vacant parking lot space on the other side of Mercy Hospital and down along Forbes. It may have been best to build Rooney Field there and the new dorms where Rooney is now. Des Place could have been kept and Rooney would have the space to build it right.

[> Subject: Re: A Suggestion- What if...

Author:
A83
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, October 23, 03:46:42pm

I know that DU was very interested in the Mercy Hospital property. I dont know what it would have been used for, but you are right.

Subject: CCSU over Albany Friday Night

Author:
Marquis
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, October 23, 10:26:08am

The Duke's Conference hopes took a hit last night. CCSU beat Albany in overtime. It looks like it may go down to RMU and CCSU, both undefeated. We still may have a chance but even if we beat RMU and get help, that d%@# ref who over-ruled the two point conversion played a big part in taking away our path to win the NCCA bid.

[> Subject: Re: CCSU over Albany Friday Night

Author:
Always a Duke
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, October 23, 06:42:13pm

While there may be a remote chance that the Dukes could win the NEC this year, a win over Robert Morris would be very, very satisfying, particularly if that win would contribute to Bobby Mo's being knocked out of contention for 1st place.

Subject: Wagner Preview and Prediction from the Blog

Author:
Coffee
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, October 23, 09:24:49am

Waner may be the most underrated NEC team. Their defense ranks 8th nationally giving up an average of 277 yards per game. Don't be fooled by the "soph" status of their QB Nick Doscher. The man is a 23 year old former minor league catcher for the KC Royals organization. He leads the NEC in total offense with 243 yards per game.

Head Coach Walt Hameline knows how to put it all together and is 199-112-2 overall.

Prediction: My head says Wagner 31- Dukes 28. My heart says Duquesne 27- Wagner 24. I'll go with my heart- GO DUQUESNE!!!

Subject: Know your opponent - Wagner Seahawks

Author:
Curious
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Thursday, October 21, 10:00:54pm

Wagner game notes:

http://www.wagnerathletics.com/documents/2010/10/21/Wagner-DUQ_Game_Notes.pdf?id=1195

Duquesne game notes:

Subject: Dukes Down Sacred Heart 31-17

Author:
Duke of Hazard
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Thursday, October 21, 09:40:18pm

Good game for the Dukes to get back on track. We could have used some of these breaks over the past two games. The ball was bouncing our way today. Great effort all around. Its such a shame that the ref took the game out of the hands of the players last week.

What's up with "Colonial Wisdom"?? Sounds like a guy who must have flunked out of a class or two at Duquesne before finding a program that he could handle out in Moon Township.

[> Subject: Re: Dukes Down Sacred Heart 31-17

Author:
Coffee
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, October 16, 07:18:41pm

Lots of good stuff today.

A great win today to get the Dukes back on track!

I just had a chance to pick up a case of the new Duquesne Beer. I found it to be worthy of the name!

I used the inspiration from a couple of "Dukes" and the post from "Colonial Wisdom" to launch a new photo section on the blog of Great Moments in Pittsburgh Sports History- Hope you folks like it.

[> Subject: Re: Dukes Down Sacred Heart 31-17

Author:
Shaler Tom
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Sunday, October 17, 08:34:38am

A very nice win against a one win team but it does get the Dukes back on track. Patterson looked almost 100%, the defense played ok and we played take away with 4 turnovers.

RMU has a bye week to prepare for us.

Early reports tell me that Bunevich may have torn the ACL in his other knee. Lets hope that isn't the case.

[> [> Subject: Re: Dukes Down Sacred Heart 31-17

Author:
Mr. B
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Thursday, October 21, 05:11:56pm

Sean is cleared to play this weekend at Wagner.

[> [> [> Subject: Re: Dukes Down Sacred Heart 31-17

Author:
Shaler Tom
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Thursday, October 21, 09:40:18pm

Thats great news. He certainly anchors the offensive line and is a real threat down the middle. I'd like to see them go that way a little more.

Subject: Gridiron Power Index (GPI) Released

Author:
Curious
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Wednesday, October 20, 04:22:03pm

http://www.collegesportingnews.com/content.php?261-Gridiron-Power-Index-Released

CHICAGO — The Gridiron Power Index (GPI), the index ranking for the NCAA Division I FCS and a top indicator of at-large playoff selection begins its inaugural rankings for the 2010 season with Delaware of the Colonial Athletic Association at the No. 1 spot.

DUQUESNE #83 (out of 124 in FCS)

Conference Ranking:

1. Colonial Athletic Association (23.200)
2. Missouri Valley Football Conference (25.139)
3. Big Sky Conference (27.653)
4. Southern Conference (29.083)
5. Great West Conference (31.575)
6. Southland Conference (40.944)
7. Ohio Valley Conference (43.917)
8. NORTHEAST CONFERENCE (53.121)
9. Big South Conference (57.544)
10. Southwestern Athletic Conference (59.025)
11. Ivy League (61.328)
12. Independents (62.813)
13. Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference (64.375)
14. Patriot League (66.964)
15. Pioneer Football League (71.838)

[> Subject: Dukes move up in Gridiron Power Index (GPI)

Author:
Curious
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Wednesday, October 20, 01:51:48pm

http://www.collegesportingnews.com/content.php?287-GPI-Release-10-20-2010

DUQUESNE: #75 (out of 124 in FCS)

Conference Ranking:

1. Colonial Athletic Association (23.138)
2. Missouri Valley Football Conference (25.278)
3. Big Sky Conference (26.389)
4. Southern Conference (30.208)
5. Great West Conference (33.150)
6. Southland Conference (39.347)
7. Ohio Valley Conference (46.056)
8. NORTHEAST CONFERENCE(52.450)
9. Southwestern Athletic Conference (59.025)
10. Ivy League (61.719)
11. Big South Conference (62.286)
12. Independents (63.938)
13. Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference (64.857)
14. Patriot League (65.161)
15. Pioneer Football League (69.338)

[> [> Subject: Re: Dukes move up in Gridiron Power Index (GPI)

Author:
Coffee
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Wednesday, October 20, 04:22:03pm

Good news about the conference and Duquesne both heading in the right direction. The only thing I can't understand is why we just scheduled the very last team in the rankings to a home and home series.

Subject: Future Dukes Non-Conference Opponents

Author:
Always a Duke
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Monday, October 18, 10:03:12pm

At yesterday's game I spoke to one of the Assistant ADs about the Dukes' future non-conference opponents. In 2011 the Dukes will be playing Dayton (A), Bucknell (A), and Valparaiso (H). In 2012 the Dukes will be playing Valparaiso (A) and Dayton (H). The 3rd non-conf. game has not been scheduled. Delaware is interested in playing the Dukes again. The Blue Hens have an open date available. In 2013 the Dukes will be playing a 12 game schedule.

[> Subject: Re: Future Dukes Non-Conference Opponents

Author:
Marquis
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Sunday, October 17, 07:05:34pm

Nice work A.A.D. Dayton and Bucknell are good series to continue but what does Valparaiso bring to the table? I'd like to strike up a series against Georgetown again. Rhode Island would also be a good team to play if they are coming to the NEC soon. Playing Delaware again would be great. The Dukes should play 12 every year if they can.

[> [> Subject: Re: Future Dukes Non-Conference Opponents

Author:
Shaler Tom
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Sunday, October 17, 09:57:17pm

Valparaiso lost to Jacksonville yesterday 86-7!

[> Subject: Re: Future Dukes Non-Conference Opponents

Author:
Curious
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Monday, October 18, 12:20:18pm

Valparaiso!? UGH!

I feel for the poor guys at Valpo. That program is really struggling right now. But why does Duquesne have to add them to our schedule??? Were Savannah State and North Carolina A&T not available?

“Of all the stadiums in all the towns in all the FCS world, Valpo walks into mine.” (with apologies...)

After a great move forward, Duquesne's Strength of Schedule takes a few steps back for the next couple of years.

And this is how we hope to attract more fans to Rooney???

[> [> Subject: Re: Future Dukes Non-Conference Opponents

Author:
Always a Duke
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Monday, October 18, 10:03:12pm

I don't understand it either. I regret that I didn't ask the assistant AD why Duquesne had scheduled Valparaiso for two games if it was the university's intent was to get tougher non-conference opponents. Valpo is clearly the antithesis of Delaware.

I was also told that Rhode Island will be dropping out of the CAA and will be joining the NEC. I read of the rumors of such an action by RI but never read any articles or press releases confirming this. The assistant AD said that it was a done deal. RI won't make the complete switch into the NEC until 2013 or 2014.

Subject: No Duquesne representation in the TSN Poll

Author:
Curious
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Monday, October 18, 09:27:08pm

Saw this thread on the ChampionshipSubdivision.com site:

http://www.championshipsubdivision.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=19332

Northeast Conference:

Brian DePasquale - UAlbany SID
Jim Duzyk - RMU SID
Andrew Santillo - Troy Record - UAlbany Beat Writer
Chris Shovlin - play-by-play voice for RMU
Jason Sullivan - Bryant SID
Ralph Ventre - Assistant Director of Communications for the NEC
Greg Viscomi - Assistant Director of Athletics Communications for Monmouth

It's bad enough that the NEC only has seven representatives voting in this poll, but none of them follow the Dukes!

Subject: RPI???

Author:
The Duke
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Monday, October 18, 02:58:18pm

I'll never be able to understand the RPI Index at times. How does Albany get blown out, shut out and blown away by Bobby Mo and still advance in the rankings???

Subject: The NEC really deserves an NCAA this year!! Just two slots below a 1-A Conference in the Sagarins

Author:
Coffee
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Monday, October 18, 12:27:47pm

18 SUN BELT (A) = 54.70 55.13 (18) 9 55.08
19 I-AA INDEP (AA)= 52.01 50.99 ( 20) 6 51.21
20 OHIO VALLEY (AA)= 50.82 51.46 ( 19) 9 51.25
21 NORTHEAST (AA)= 50.78 50.59 ( 21) 9 50.64
22 BIG SOUTH (AA)= 48.64 49.77 ( 22) 7 49.44
23 IVY LEAGUE (AA)= 46.10 45.59 ( 23) 8 45.65
24 SOUTHWESTERN (AA)= 45.15 44.48 ( 24) 10 44.68
25 PATRIOT LEAG (AA)= 44.57 44.71 ( 25) 7 44.00
26 PIONEER (AA)= 41.80 42.61 ( 26) 10 42.32
27 MID-EASTERN (AA)= 40.68 40.85 ( 27) 9 40.72

[> Subject: Re: The NEC really deserves an NCAA this year!! Just two slots below a 1-A Conference in the Sagarins

Author:
Marquis
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Tuesday, October 12, 07:03:15pm

Duquesne and the NEC are playing a better brand of football than we could have ever imagined 10 years ago. Delaware is ranked well ahead of Pitt in both RPI and Sagarin Rankings. Our won/loss record may not be as impressive, but we are so much better than the teams that would beat up teams like Canisius and St. Peters who showed up and started anybody who would walk on the field. Duquesne never used to cut anybody.

We are ranked ahead of some BCS teams and some day soon will play them. Delaware would beat most of them.

[> Subject: The NEC moves up two slot in the Sagarin Ratings

Author:
Curious
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Monday, October 18, 12:27:47pm

17 SUN BELT (A) = 53.61
18 SOUTHLAND (AA)= 53.51
19 NORTHEAST (AA)= 47.43
20 I-AA INDEPENDENTS (AA)= 47.41
21 OHIO VALLEY (AA)= 47.38
22 IVY LEAGUE (AA)= 43.90
23 SOUTHWESTERN (AA)= 43.42
24 PATRIOT LEAGUE (AA)= 41.69
25 BIG SOUTH (AA)= 41.55
26 PIONEER (AA)= 38.85
27 MID-EASTERN (AA)= 37.44

Subject: Credit where credit is due...

Author:
Coffee
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Sunday, October 17, 03:03:12pm

I've been guilty of complaining about many things on this board. It is time I give the Athletic Department credit for a few things.

First, the expanded Picnic AND restoring the tailgate area. The Straub beer and picnic menu is a nice touch and they did listen to the suggestion to pipe in the radio play by play. It is a bit expensive, but it is nicely done. Moving the picnic area to the Academic Walk side to let some real tailgating take place on the other side is a good idea. There have been more and more party tents popping up there from visiting fans. There is room for a few more local fans to get into the swing. If we could bring back the atmosphere when the Lehigh Valley folks had, it would add much to the atmosphere. This could spread out further along Bluff Street.

While still not a college marching band the pep band is starting to play loud enough to be heard for the National Anthem. Greg- I know that X didn't have football, but a real halftime show means a marching band.

The Department chose the right conference. At first I had hoped to get into the Pioneer with Dayton, but adding this level of scholarships at this time allowed the program to grow at a reasonable pace. Dayton has a huge football "endowment" that lets them do scholarships, but not officially through the university. The NEC is on the rise dramatically if you look at the Gridiron Index, RPI and Sagarin.

Scheduling Delaware was GREAT. It showed that we can hold our own against what may be the best program in the nation this year. Rhode Island would be a good add of another A-10 school, particularly if they are heading into the NEC. They gave Delaware a good game last week too. Youngstown State or even a BCS team like Akron would be a good thing to consider. We are actually ranked ahead of the Zips in most indexes.

They are now charging for admission on the visitor's side now.

Thanks Mr. A. and Dr. D.

Last edited by author: Sunday, October 17, 03:03:12pm   Edited 1 time.

[> Subject: Re: Credit where credit is due...

Author:
Marquis
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Sunday, October 17, 02:52:50pm

I agree with most of what you say. And in keeping with keeping the attitude positive, I suggest that we turn the 4 or 5 park benches around on the visitors side to face the field. This will increase the fields seating capacity from 2,250 to 2,275. This represents an increase of seating capacity of over 1.11%.

Subject: It looks like it will be a great day for football at Rooney Field today. So let's get out there to support the Dukes in their big win.

Author:
Always a Duke
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, October 16, 07:13:40pm

I believe the Dukes will continue with the drive and enthusiasm they showed in the 4th quarter of last week's game. My prediction is that the Dukes will win big today: Dukes-42; Sacred Heart-10. Oh yes, let's hope something has happened this week in practice to improve our kickoffs. No more out-of-bounds kicks, please!

[> Subject: Re: It looks like it will be a great day for football at Rooney Field today. So let's get out there to support the Dukes in their big win.

Author:
Marquis
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, October 16, 10:01:18am

This is Coffee's prediction from the blog.

Duquesne-Sacred Heart Keys and Prediction
Kicking Game:
Very simply, the Field Goal department has improved but the field position has has been hurting Duquesne all year.

Defense:
Dave Opfar's men need to make a statement that Duquesne doesn't need to put over 30 points on the board to win a game. Other than the games against the inexperienced Bucknell offense, the defense has yet to show just how good they are. They have played well in spurts and seem to have potential.

Home Cooking:
The Dukes need to re-energize the fan base at home. The Bucknell game and the excitement leading into the Delaware game needs to be re-captured in order to get a good Duke's contingent vs. Robert Morris in a few weeks.

Finishing Drives:
Duquesne has proven that they can move the ball against anyone in the country, including Delaware. They have to be able to finish drives since the battle of statistics doesn't win football games.

Keep a Balanced Attack:
With the running of Larry McCoy and the stable of targets Sean Patterson has the Dukes need to keep opponents guessing. Play calling is a huge key.

Confidence without Overconfidence:
Yes, Sacred Heart is 1-5. However, the Pioneers lost 3 games by 4 or less points including last week's to Bryant. The Duke's psyche may be damaged by last week's close loss to Central Connecticut and the unexplainable melt down the week before. They can't afford to take the Pioneers lightly, nor can they get down on themselves. This team has to remember that they came withing a heel on the back of the end-zone of an overtime game on the road against the team that may be the best in its conference. This team has guts. Last week they weren't reward by a few inches. Mental preparation will be vital in this game to get the Dukes back on track.

Prediction: Duquesne 27 - Sacred Heart 21

[> [> Subject: Re: It looks like it will be a great day for football at Rooney Field today. So let's get out there to support the Dukes in their big win.

Author:
Colonial Wisdom
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, October 16, 11:04:26am

Duquesne will never be able to have another winning season since its cupcake opponents stopped playing football (LaSalle, St. Johns, Canisius, St. Peter's, etc.) Their stadium doesn't deserve to be named after Art Rooney- Rename it "Puny Field".

[> [> [> Subject: Re: It looks like it will be a great day for football at Rooney Field today. So let's get out there to support the Dukes in their big win.

Author:
412 Express
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, October 16, 03:23:12pm

I seem to remember the colonials getting a woodshed beating last year at "puny field"

[> [> [> [> Subject: Re: It looks like it will be a great day for football at Rooney Field today. So let's get out there to support the Dukes in their big win.

Author:
George
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, October 16, 06:16:32pm

Colonial Wisdom- I guess RMU was one of the "cupcakes" last year?

[> [> [> Subject: It's nice that Bobby Mo College named its field after someone who is best known for picking his nose on national TV.

Author:
El Duque
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, October 16, 07:13:40pm

Subject: Dukes Hockey Playing Well- Beat Pitt 5-3

Author:
Coffee
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, October 16, 10:57:46am

The Duquesne Hockey team deserves some attention! See Duquesne Duke Story Link at: http://media.www.theduquesneduke.com/media/storage/paper1278/news/2010/10/14/Sports/Club-Hockey.New.Coach.Offense.Power.Dukes.To.Surprising.Start-3944915.shtml

Wouldn't it be great to have both the Dukes and Pitt step up to the NCAA's and play at the Con? They both have locker rooms there.

Subject: Know your opponent - Sacred Heart Pioneers

Author:
Curious
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Friday, October 15, 01:28:23am

Sacred Heart game notes:

http://static.psbin.com/d/g/7brm14b5piv5th/football_notes_10.16.10.pmd.pdf

[> Subject: Re: Know your opponent - Sacred Heart Pioneers

Author:
Curious
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Friday, October 15, 01:30:26am

Duquesne game notes for Sacred Heart game:

Main index ] [ Archives: 123456789[10] ]

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a new public message:
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
* Message subject (required):

* Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Choose Message Icon: [ View Emoticons ]

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2017 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.