VoyForums
1 CLICK GIVES FREE FOOD!
www.TheHungerSite.com
Protect Habitat with a Click!
www.TheRainforestSite.com
Non-profit ad served by VoyForums...

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 12[3]45678910 ]

DUQUESNE DUKES FOOTBALL FORUM
~DUQUESNE DUKES FOOTBALL FORUM~
This forum is for discussion of Duquesne Football since other excellent Duquesne Basketball forums exist. (Links below). It is also open to all Duquesne sponsored or club sports.Duquesne sponsors: Basketball (M/W), Cross Country (M/W), Football, Soccer (M/W), Swimming (W), Tennis (M/W), Track and Field (M/W), LaCrosse (W), Crew (W), Volleyball (W). Club Sports include Ice Hockey and Men's Crew. Some posts on this Forum may be re-posted on the Duquesne Football Blog (See Duquesnesports.blogspot.com). This is a discussionforum where you are a guest. Treat others as you would like to be treated. No foul language, using another's moniker or personal attacks. Character on the field and on this forum reflects upon Duquesne. Links to this site are encouraged. Feedback is welcome. -Coffee

~OTHER DUQUESNE LINKS~

*COFFEE'S DUQUESNE FOOTBALL BLOG*
*OFFICIAL Northeast Conference Football SITE*
*The Sports Network FCS Page*
*USA Today Sagarin Division I College Football Rankings*
*Real Time RPI Division 1 College Football Rankings*
*College Football Data Warehouse*
*ESPN Radio Northeast Conference Notebook*

Subject: DUKES UP 20-10

Author:
Coffee
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Sunday, September 02, 02:06:56pm

So far so good- Dukes up 20 to 10 at the half!

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[> Subject: Re: DUKES UP 20-10

Author:
ODUsmitty
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, September 01, 11:01:01pm

You guys made our star QB look pedestrian at times, and converted turnovers into scores. Seemed to bog us down often when we hit your 25-yard line.

Good luck the rest of the season, and best wishes for a NEC crown.

[> [> Subject: Re: DUKES UP 20-10

Author:
Coffee
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Sunday, September 02, 09:54:22am

Thanks ODUSmitty. You folks have a great team and will go far. It was our QB that couldn't handle the pressure in the second half when it counted and yours who came through.

[> [> [> Subject: Re: DUKES UP 20-10

Author:
Shoey
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Sunday, September 02, 02:06:56pm

Smitty- ODU defensive line just dominated our O/L and corners were like blankets.We will get better just outmanned up front..superman couldnt of handled that pressure ...BUT With 1150 to go in the game we are at 1 yard line down 27-20.......we kicked a fg.....30-0 next 11 minutes....???? ODU goes for it twice on 4th and goal.....I like your coaches guts!!!!good luck...Screen??? Draw??? just a couple football words we may want to look into. Dayton next!!! go Dukes

Subject: DU ODU Video Recap

Author:
CLK (xlgx0)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Sunday, September 02, 12:06:23pm

I really don't follow DU footbsall, but I saw this and thought I would share with you guys. Coffee I hope you are doing well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2r3VPNtp_o&feature=youtu.be&a

[> Subject: Re: DU ODU Video Recap

Author:
Coffee
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Sunday, September 02, 06:01:33pm

Thanks CLK!

Subject: game day

Author:
odusmitty
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, September 01, 08:56:04am

shoey- if still coming down, call me at 301-535-8526. I'll get you to our tailgate.

Cheers,
Smitty

Subject: Predictions on the Dukes' game with Old Dominion on Sept 1, 2012

Author:
Always a Duke
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Thursday, August 30, 04:31:05pm

Today The Sports Network (TSN) released it picks for this weekend's games involving FCS teams, including the
match up between the Dukes and the Monarchs:

"Duquesne Dukes (0-0) at No. 8 Old Dominion Monarchs (0-0), 6 p.m.

Series Record: First meeting

Last Meeting: None

What To Know: Old Dominion enters its final season of CAA Football action before rising to the FBS and Conference USA. In their first season in the CAA, the Monarchs tied for second place and made their first trip to the FCS playoffs. Their fourth-year program won't be eligible for a CAA title, (due the transition to the FBS level) but Wilder's team has its sights set on receiving an at-large playoff berth, and they have the playmakers to realistically make that happen.

On the other hand, Duquesne has plans of its own after posting a 9-2 record and gaining a share of the Northeast Conference title. The Dukes have a group of seniors who have gone 11-2 in their last 13 NEC games. Duquesne's defense ranked No. 1 in the FCS in pass defense, allowing 139 yards per game, led by All-America free safety Serge Kona. Schmitt can count on proven seniors, quarterback Sean Patterson and running back Larry McCoy.

Old Dominion QB Tyler Heinecke had a break-out year, throwing 25 touchdowns and one interception. The Monarchs want to go out with a bang in their last FCS season. In order to do that, they can't afford to have many blemishes.

Prediction: Old Dominion 35, Duquesne 21"

Click here for the entire article.

[
Post a Reply to This Message ]
[> Subject: Re: Predictions on the Dukes' game with Old Dominion on Sept 1, 2012

Author:
Coffee
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Wednesday, August 29, 06:11:40pm

Unfortunately, the Dukes are going back to the injury bug they had two years ago. Their starting center broke his collarbone and the backup is a big step down.

Both starting corners may be out too. Not good against the highest ranked team the've ever played aside from Delaware.

[> [> Subject: Re: Predictions on the Dukes' game with Old Dominion on Sept 1, 2012

Author:
412 Express
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Thursday, August 30, 11:45:03am

Coffee-Reden hurt his collarbone in the offseason. From what I've heard he will be ready to go saturday. I don't have any information on the corners.

[> [> [> Subject: Re: Predictions on the Dukes' game with Old Dominion on Sept 1, 2012

Author:
Coffee
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Thursday, August 30, 04:31:05pm

Good to hear that he's back! Thanks

Subject: Confused fan

Author:
Richie
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Thursday, August 30, 03:24:48am

I was at work and went on youtube and was looking up one of the guys I met a while ago while I was in MD. He was there cause his mother had surgery and I saw him wearing duquesne gear and decided to have a talk with him. He told me about their previous season and how he stopped playing football because he had numerous surgeries and agents weren't interested because of that. I look the kid up and see he didn't make all conference or anything. I come by this website every once in a while to keep up with dukes because obviously your more informed than the actual website. After looking at his higlights on youtube, why did he get shafted like this??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QChIMz12NlY

Subject: Old Dominion

Author:
Shoey
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Wednesday, August 29, 10:40:13pm

I know more about Old Dominions team and players from their website than I know our Dukes........sad. The difference between big-time and trying to get there.....we just dont have it when it comes to marketing and info....its a sad fact.

[> Subject: Re: Old Dominion

Author:
Always a Duke
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Wednesday, August 22, 04:55:48pm

Here's The Sports Network's analysis of the Colonial
Athletic Conference (CAA), including the Dukes' first opponent, Old Domonion: Click here.

I expect a similar detailed analysis of the NEC to appear on The Sports Network's website within the week.

[> [> Subject: Re: Old Dominion

Author:
ODUsmitty
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Wednesday, August 22, 09:18:47pm

Any Duquesne fans making the trip down to Norfolk?

[> [> [> Subject: Re: Old Dominion

Author:
Shoey
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Wednesday, August 22, 11:40:13pm

Wouldnt miss the trip hear the atmosphere is great!!!

[> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Old Dominion

Author:
odusmitty
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Thursday, August 23, 10:35:41pm

Yes, we have a great thing going down here. You need to walk through the tailgate lots (open 4 hours prior to gametime), and mix with our fans. You'll find most hospitable and appreciative that you made the trip down to support your team. COngrats on the preseason pick for the NEC - I worry that many fans (but fortunately not our coaches and players) are underestimating how good this Duquesne team is coming into FOreman Field.

[> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Old Dominion

Author:
Shoey
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Thursday, August 23, 11:00:37pm

Look forward to the atmosphere, we played Delaware tough when most of these seniors were sophs. We had an inexperienced O/C who has unfortunately returned as our WR coach. We got in the red zone and he went to the wildcat (first and only time in the years Ive benn watching the Dukes) and we lost momentum. It will be a big challenge but Duquesne is starting to get noticed nationally. One big win could put them on the map for real. Old Dominion is a great out of conference game for us.

[> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Old Dominion

Author:
ODUsmitty
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Thursday, August 23, 11:06:58pm

Keep in touch,and will pass to you where our tailgate is (right across the street from stadium). Be happy to share a beer with someone making the trip.

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Old Dominion

Author:
Shoey
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Friday, August 24, 07:57:49am

Smitty will never pass up a free beer at a tailgate will definitely hit u up!!!! thanks

[> [> [> Subject: Re: Old Dominion

Author:
Always a Duke
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Tuesday, August 28, 01:55:48pm

I will be going to the Dukes- Monarchs' game on Saturday with two other Duquesne alumni. Looking forward to the trip and seeing ODU's campus as well as sharing a beer or two with ODU-Smitty and some of the other ODU tailgaters. How will I recognize you and your crew, Smitty? Please give me a little more to go on than you'll be wearing an ODU shirt and baseball cap. Hope to see you on Saturday!

By the way, Duquesne may be the only college sharing its name with a beer: Click here. During the 1950s Duquesne Beer was the most popular brew in PA. Unfortunately the company went under in 1972. Mark Dudash, an alumnus of Duquesne Univ. & Duquesne Univ. Law School, resurrected the beer's production in 2010. The company's old motto,"Have a Duke," can now be heard as part of the brewery's radio commercials for Duquesne athletics. Since I'm taking a flight to Norfolk I will be unable to bring a case of Duquesne Beer to share with you and your tailgate buddies.

GO DUKES!

[> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Old Dominion

Author:
ODUsmitty
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Wednesday, August 29, 10:40:13pm

Shoey and Duke -
Please email me at bpsmith@nalco.com with contact information, and I will pass where we will be on Saturday.

Safe travels.

Cheers,
Smitty

Subject: It's Official: Rhode Island changes its mind & will stay in the CAA

Author:
Always a Duke
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Tuesday, August 28, 02:49:04pm

The NEC will have 8 teams in 2013 with the departure of Albany and the reversal of RI's decision to join the NEC. The NCAA will allow FCS teams to schedule 12 regular season games in 2013 and 2014 so, barring any new late additions to the NEC, the Dukes will have 7 conference games and 5 non-conference games in 2013. At least now the schedule makers for the remaining NEC teams can proceed in earnest to fill out the openings in their 2013 schedules.
Click here for RI's announcement.

Subject: Video of ODU's coach's press conference re: game with Dukes

Author:
Always a Duke
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Monday, August 27, 07:25:05pm

Here's a link to the press conference of Bobby Wilder, ODU's head coach, about the game with the Dukes. He starts talking about the Dukes starting at the 06:48 mark of the video for about 3 or 4 minutes. After that he fields questions from the media; however, not much was said specifically about the Dukes during the Q & A session. I found the coach's comments interesting that he wasn't likely to red shirt any freshman this year because he wanted all of the frosh to have some playing time before ODU left the CAA & moved up to the more demanding NCAA FBS schedule of Conference USA next season. He did say this is the first year since he's been coach that the Monarchs have decent depth at every position.

Buckle up your helmets for this one, Dukes!

Click here for link to press conference.

Subject: Dukes ranked #33 in FCS/ Some press for Akeem Moore & Dorian Bell

Author:
Always a Duke
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Monday, August 27, 02:02:26pm

Wide receiver, Akeem Moore: Click here.

Linebacker, Dorian Bell: Click here.

If both Akeem and Dorian play up to their potential, this could be a very special year for the Dukes. The team will be tested in their September 1st opener at Old Dominion, who received a pre-season ranking of 8th by The Sports Network. Click here.

Keep in mind that the Dukes' 9-2 record last year has drawn some deserved attention for the 2012 season from College Sports Madness which ranks the Dukes # 33 in all of the 122 teams in the FCS and #1 in the NEC: Click here.

[> Subject: Re: Dukes ranked #33 in FCS/ Some press for Akeem Moore & Dorian Bell

Author:
Duke Nukem
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Sunday, August 19, 09:39:53am

Phil Axelrod is a great writter and seems to be wanting to keep his hand in after retiring by covering the Dukes. He may work out than Colin Dunlap.

If we could get Dave Mackall back I be happy with the Trib too.

[> Subject: Re: Dukes ranked #33 in FCS/ Some press for Akeem Moore & Dorian Bell

Author:
Shoey
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Thursday, August 23, 01:13:47pm

It would be nice article if either was going to play in the first game............nobody does their homework. Just write things to write them. I am not going to give out why but a reporter should do their due diligence.

[> [> Subject: Re: Dukes ranked #33 in FCS/ Some press for Akeem Moore & Dorian Bell

Author:
Always a Duke
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Friday, August 24, 05:06:00pm

I understand that Akeem Moore may still be recovering from his surgery to some degree and might not play but what would prevent Dorian Bell from playing? Do you have some inside info on this?

[> [> [> Subject: Re: Dukes ranked #33 in FCS/ Some press for Akeem Moore & Dorian Bell

Author:
Shoey
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, August 25, 04:16:49am

It is hard to tell if its inside info or not since we dont report amything about our players or team except re-report something off of the internet. I will just leave it to the marketing department to tell everyone what they want them to know or not to know.

[> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Dukes ranked #33 in FCS/ Some press for Akeem Moore & Dorian Bell

Author:
412 Express
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Monday, August 27, 10:35:22am

Don't wave information in our face if you're not gonna share it! I thought this board was a 'team' effort to share info on our dukes that the media and marketing dept fail to provide.

[> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Dukes ranked #33 in FCS/ Some press for Akeem Moore & Dorian Bell

Author:
Shoey
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Monday, August 27, 02:02:26pm

412- Sorry I just thought it was common knowledge....if it isnt out there i dont want to hurt the kid or program in anyway. I was just in conversation where it was brought up like normal. maybe something has chnged these are atill kids so I dont want to negatively effect the situation in any way.

Subject: Recent Old Dominion Articles

Author:
ODUsmitty
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, August 25, 08:51:14pm

A couple of recent links to articles concerning ODU this year. Looking forward to playing you guys in a week.

http://hamptonroads.com/2012/08/old-dominion-embracing-great-expectations

http://hamptonroads.com/2012/08/odus-first-class-season-last-hurrah

http://hamptonroads.com/2012/08/college-football-preview-when-plisco-legs-it-out-it%E2%80%99s-showtime

Subject: NEC Preview - Dukes picked #1

Author:
CoachL
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, August 25, 01:23:36pm

http://www.college-sports-journal.com/index.php/ncaa-division-i-sports/fcs-football/262-nec-preview-there-can-be-only-one

Pretty decent article

[> Subject: The Sports Network picks Dukes #2 NEC

Author:
Always a Duke
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, August 25, 03:08:58pm

Dukes are picked to finish 2nd behind Albany by the staff of The Sports Network. This should be one exciting season for the Dukes, especially in the Nov. 10th home match-up with Albany. Click here for TSN Preview of the NEC.

Subject: Coaching Changes

Author:
Duke Nukem
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Friday, August 24, 08:01:51am

Well Connor Dixon is back again, as is Neil Loebig. Anthony Doria is coaching the QBs and Dave Loya is gone.

I don't think Neil had the personality to be the one brought back. The team will miss Dave. I'm surprized that Connor isn't in camp somewhere in professional football.

I don't know Doria or the other personal factors so I'll reserve my outrage over having him coach the QBs rather than Loya.

[> Subject: Re: Coaching Changes

Author:
412 Express
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, August 04, 02:32:22pm

Loya coached WR's not QB's. Nonetheless, he will definitely be missed. He was a favorite among the players because he was down to earth, easy to talk to, but also a good coach.

Also some players who will not return-Tyler Zimmer, Tim Straka, and Dom Broglia.

[> [> Subject: Re: Coaching Changes

Author:
Duke.Nukem
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Sunday, August 05, 12:55:20am

Back up and read again... I Never said he coached the QBs, although he did at one time.

Duquesne has to stop handing the coaching duties to kids who barely graduated college.

[> [> [> Subject: Re: Coaching Changes

Author:
412 Express
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Monday, August 06, 03:35:29pm

Read it again. The last sentence still sounds like you're implying Loya coached the QB's.

Anyway,

Your point about hiring recent grads to coach can be argued both ways. They are inexperienced coaches, yes. But they do not lack experience of the game. A move that made no sense to me was hiring Matt Stansfield who was a center to coach running backs. Many of the players also found this a strange move and did not receive his coaching as valid.

Overall, the habit of hiring recent graduates has been successful. Loebig, Loya, Carter, Totino, Stansfield, and presumably dixon have all been good decisions versus a few flubs (esdale, simmons).

My .02 is since they are young they can relate to the players as they were in their shoes not long ago. And I've said before communication between coaches and players is key and that is an attribute Schmitt lacks entirely.

[> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Coaching Changes

Author:
Shoey
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Tuesday, August 07, 12:59:46am

Why was Loebig successful?? The way he handled the QB situation was ridiculous between Rombach,Patterson and Dixon....He pulled them like they were yo yo's. As long as he is not O/C i dont think it will matter because Dunn seems to be mature in his signal calling and patience with players and mistakes. Really gonna miss Loya he was a mature guy on the sidelines. He didnt panic and gave great instruction.

[> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Coaching Changes

Author:
412 Express
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Tuesday, August 07, 08:47:30am

I agree he handled the QB situation that year very poorly, but you can't have him shoulder all the blame. The head coach had just as much to do with that debacle. I say Neil was a success for the most part because of his knowledge of the game. I know he is unpopular on this board but one thing you cannot deny is he was instrumental in developing patterson. I remember watching a spring practice when patterson was a fresh transfer. I never thought he would take a snap on saturdays, he just didn't have 'it'. Neil spent countless hours working with sean on the field and in the film room coaching him up.

[> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Coaching Changes

Author:
Shoey
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Tuesday, August 07, 01:16:47pm

Well if he is responsible for Patterson I stand corrected on that but with Knapp, Rombach, connor it always seemed indecisive. I just dont like the shakeup of Loya leaving and I didnt like how Loebig yanked guys. I just feel like we are on a steady boat and dont need it rocked.

[> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Coaching Changes

Author:
Dukes Fan
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Wednesday, August 08, 08:58:00am

Loebig's first year as OC resulted in a 7-4 record after two years of 3 win seasons.

Dukes Running Backs seemed to be pretty successful over the years Stanfield coached them, and he has since been hired as an offensive coordinator.

Maybe Schmitt is more competent than he is given credit for on this board. He hired Dunn and the offense continued to improve.

[> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Coaching Changes

Author:
412 Express
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Thursday, August 09, 08:20:57am

I'm going to reserve my opinion on Dunn for another season or two. He walked into a situation with a lot of veterans on offense, including a solid O line, outstanding receiving corps, and a dependable RB. Hard to not be successful with a group like that. I have trouble attributing any of Larry's success to stansfield. The kid works his tail off year round training for the season. He deserves all the credit.

The one coach who I feel came in and made an immediate impact was Opfar. Can't say enough good things about him, and the players like him too. Great coach.

[> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Coaching Changes

Author:
Duke from way back
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Thursday, August 09, 10:28:25am

Lot of discussion about Loebig and Loya. There is no question that Loebig has difficulty relating. He is somewhat shy and introverted and very cold to his players. One player who struggled in previous years but had a great year last year told me that he was relaxed without Loebig there to berate him and was able to play better. Loebig needs to grow up a little bit. But, having said that, does that make him a bad coach? He completely mishandled the QB situation the entire time he was here but he shares that honor with his head coach, but the passing completion percentages of some of those QBs was very good.. off the chart. The offense struggled at times but it was the defense giving up 4-500 yards a game that really was the culprit in those two down years. I really dont blame him for the teams struggles. I am ready to give hime the benefit of the doubt...maybe he has matured having been away for a year. Every coach has a personaltiy, some better than others, and he will never be an Opfar or Loya, two great guys but he is Schmitts guy and everyone must accept it and live with it. It must be hard for him to come back as an assistant coach after being a coordinator. That shows loyalty to Duquesne. I wish them all well and I wish Dave Loya the best and thank him for everything he did over the years for the boys and the program.

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Coaching Changes

Author:
Shoey
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Thursday, August 09, 01:12:04pm

I guess with all the discussion about Loebig there is obviously red flags about him.......including leaving the DUKES. I just think that there are many coaches out there that would love to be at Duquesne with no known red flags......why bring someone back that we know has them???? I am going to support the Dukes and Schmitt but I do not see any positives other than that he went to school there and played. He never played at this level (NEC) and compares himself to these guys. Pretty intelligent kids at Duquesne that see through that stuff. Oh well I hope it works out....DEFINITELY one of the last things I would of done as a coach. But thats why they pay Jerry the Big Bucks!!!!!

[> [> Subject: Re: Coaching Changes

Author:
Shoey
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Friday, August 24, 08:01:51am

From what I am hearing the WR sure are missing Loya and Loebig has the handcuffs on the WR just like he did the QB's. Just as I thought would happen. And no this isnt rumor this is coming from guys playing....the guy just dosent let you play freely he is a control freak. Players are afraid to make mistakes trying to make plays. this is the same as before.

Subject: Dukes picked To Win NEC by FCS Football Network

Author:
Coffee
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Thursday, August 23, 10:00:39pm

Dukes picked to win the NEC. GO DUKES!

http://www.fcsfootballnetwork.com/2012/08/19/nec-preview-a-crowded-middle/

Subject: Why go half way?

Author:
Coffee
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Sunday, August 19, 09:56:50am

Rhode Island looks like its not coming to the NEC now that Albany and Stoney Brook have been added to the CAA.

According to this article, Maine and New Hampshire are no longer thinking of leaving either now that the CAA shored up its Northern Flank.

http://bangordailynews.com/2012/08/09/sports/umaine-athletic-director-relieved-with-albany-stony-brook-football-joining-the-caa/

I am disappointed but I certainly understand why R. I. Stayed. CAA. Losing a $300,000 payday with a BCS team by reducing scholarships doesn't make sense. Nor does it make sense for the entire NEC to come close but not to the 90% limit that would allow such a payday.

We need to offer 90%. It really is a financial and commoetative no-brainer.

Subject: FCS will likely expand its post-season playoffs to 24 teams in 2013

Author:
Always a Duke
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, August 18, 07:02:16am

It's been a about a year that I've been reading about the expansion of the FCS playoffs from 20 to 24 teams. It appears that there is strong support among the presidents and athletic directors of the 124 FCS teams (in 2012) for this expansion so it seems very likely that the NCAA will approve it on August 2nd. The Pioneer League, including current A-10 member Dayton and future A-10 member Butler, will get an automatic bid for its conference champion. The proposed expansion will also offer 3 more at-large bids. Click here.

[> Subject: NCAA approves FCS's expansion of its post-season playoffs to 24 teams in 2013

Author:
Always a Duke
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Friday, August 17, 11:46:17am

Click here for article.

There have been several articles written lately that state that Rhode Island is currently reconsidering its decision to leave the CAA and join the NEC in 2013 following the announcement that current NEC member, Albany, and Big South Conference member, Stony Brook, will be joining the CAA in 2013. I am unable to find any official word from RI's Athletic Department, the NEC and the CAA on this. Should RI choose not to join the NEC next season, there would be only 8 football members in the NEC. The NCAA will permit FCS teams to schedule 13 games in 2013. That would mean that the Dukes would have 7 conference games and 6 non-conference games. I'm guessing that RI's indecision is causing some scheduling headaches among many NEC members' athletic departments.

[> [> Subject: Re: NCAA approves FCS's expansion of its post-season playoffs to 24 teams in 2013

Author:
Coffee
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, August 18, 07:02:16am

The NEC was just coming into its own. I still think the A 10 should be working on a football league.

Subject: Reports?????

Author:
Shoey
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Sunday, August 12, 01:05:47pm

Any reports from the first week of practice???

[> Subject: Re: Reports?????

Author:
Duq fan
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Sunday, August 12, 02:18:49am

Ive been to every practice at camp and so far I've been really impressed with the defense. Everywhere you look, Serge is making a play. Sean Patterson has been playing very efficient as did Larry McCoy. The offense looks to rely on those two a lot. I'm pleased with our O-line because I know how inexperienced they are, but they have room to get better. Our recivers have been getting progressively better throughout the week and it was very evident Saturday where they started breaking off huge gains in the Situation drills. I'd have to say the defense has been better than the offense, our linebackers have been as solid as all the blog sites make them out to be, led by Dozie and Dorian Bell obviously. All in all, I think we have a very legitimate shot at the NEC Championship, and would be fairly disappointed if we drop to at least third in the conference, because I think we can take Bryant on, it's just Albany I'm concerned about, but I haven't read much on them this year.

[> [> Subject: Re: Reports?????

Author:
shoey
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Sunday, August 12, 01:05:47pm

Thanks i appreciate the update. I like our chances with Albany at home!!!!

Subject: Albany will leave the NEC & join the CAA in 2013

Author:
Always a Duke
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Wednesday, August 08, 10:27:41pm

Albany & Stony Brook Universities will be joining the Colonial Athletic Conference for football in 2013. Both of these schools will help strengthen the CAA's presence in the North. The article implies that the addition of 2 new northern colleges may cause Rhode Island to rethink its announced decision to to leave the CAA. I believe that RI will make the move to the NEC because of the financial burden that it has incurred over the years because of its membership in the CAA for football.

Albany has been one of the strongest teams in the NEC the past few years so its departure will weaken its stature among the FCS conferences. I wonder if Dayton might be lured to leave the Pioneer League to take Albany's place. Such a move might reduce Dayton's football travel costs. I note that Dayton has regularly played both the Dukes and fellow NEC member, Bobby Mo, for the last few years. This should be interesting!
Click here for the article.

[> Subject: Re: Albany will leave the NEC & join the CAA in 2013

Author:
Always a Duke
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Wednesday, August 08, 06:32:32pm

It's official. In 2013 the University of Albany is leaving the NEC for what it believes are the greener pastures of the Colonial Athletic Conference (CAA). Stony Brook will also join the CAA in 2013. The NEC's website has not posted anything yet on this matter, including any comments on whether Albany will be eligible for the NEC championship in 2012, its last in the NEC, and any post-season play.

Click here.

[> [> Subject: Re: Albany will leave the NEC & join the CAA in 2013

Author:
necfan
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Wednesday, August 08, 10:27:41pm

Hope the NEC decides Albany is not eligible for the conference title and autobid.

Subject: Dukes game @ Bobby Mo on Nov. 3 will be televised

Author:
Always a Duke
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Wednesday, August 08, 06:57:55pm

NEC-TV cameras will be at Joe Walton Stadium on November 3 for the annual Steel City Showdown between Robert Morris and Duquesne. The rivalry contest will kick off at 3:30 pm and air live on Root Sports, FCS, and ESPN3.

Click here.

Subject: Practice 2012

Author:
Shoey
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Tuesday, August 07, 01:03:25am

Has anyone been out to practice? My 3 biggest concerns
#1 Offensive Line
#2 Defensive Line
#3 Wide Receiver

If we can just be adequate in those areas with our LB,CB,S,QB,RB,K/P we will be in good shape.

Subject: Radio Coverage

Author:
Me
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Monday, August 06, 03:44:15pm

I was on the DU website looking at the football schedule and I see that all references to WMNY are gone.

Is the football team going to have radio coverage this season? I like to listen at home or in the car when running Saturday errands.

I hope we are not returning to internet only in the Pittsburgh area.

[> Subject: Re: Radio Coverage

Author:
Coffee
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Friday, August 03, 10:23:40pm

I sent an e-mail to A. P. he said that the WMNY contract was good for another 2 years. We still have radio.

[> [> Subject: Re: Radio Coverage

Author:
ME
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Monday, August 06, 03:44:15pm

Thank you for the response.

Subject: NEC coaches pick Duquesne #2 in preseason poll

Author:
CoachL
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, August 04, 07:57:02am

http://www.northeastconference.org/documents/2012/8/2/FB_12_all-NEC_list.pdf?id=13741

Also, Patterson, McCoy, Kona, and Williams named to Preseason All-Northeast Conference Football Team.

Albany was chosen #1, and Bryant (picked #3) gets one more first place vote than Duquesne (who only got one).

Since preseason polls rely heavily on the prior season's results, the fact that Albany was chosen #1 is no surprise.

However, I am firmly convinced that the Dukes have the #1 Linebacker Corps in the NEC and that a couple of Duquesne linebackers will end up on the end-of-season All-Northeast Conference Football Team.

GO DUKES!

[> Subject: Re: NEC coaches pick Duquesne #2 in preseason poll

Author:
CoachL
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Thursday, August 02, 01:48:42pm

The NEC has corrected it's Preseason All-Northeast Conference Football Team list...

Duquesne's Jared Williams has completed his eligibility and has been replaced on the list. The NEC apologizes for the error.

[> Subject: Re: NEC coaches pick Duquesne #2 in preseason poll

Author:
Coffee
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, August 04, 07:57:02am

The Dukes lost a lot on the Offensive line. This seems to be their biggest vulnerability.

Subject: Veeeeeery interesting...

Author:
CoachL
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Friday, August 03, 10:07:32pm

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/8228544/ncaa-new-bowl-game-tiebreakers-include-fcs-wins-5-7-teams

NCAA WIDENS BOWL ELIGIBILITY

The NCAA's Board of Directors on Thursday approved a new selection process for bowl games that includes a possibility for teams that finish 5-7 to be selected to bowls.

Under the new measure, if there are not enough bowl-eligible teams, or if a bowl cannot be filled by its conference affiliations, the open spots would be filled through a six-tier tiebreaking process.

Ordinarily, teams need to finish with a minimum .500 winning percentage with at least six wins -- five against other Football Bowl Subdivision teams -- to be bowl eligible. A sixth win against a Football Championship Subdivision team only counts if the FCS school meets scholarship requirements.

Now, FIRST consideration will go to 6-6 teams with a win against any FCS teams, REGARDLESS OF SCHOLARSHIPS, then 6-6 teams with two wins against FCS schools.

[> Subject: Re: Veeeeeery interesting...

Author:
Coffee
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Sunday, August 05, 10:41:05am

I wonder if this will mean a BCS game for the Dukes? Rumor had it that Akron was thinking of scheduling the Dukes even before these changes.

Subject: Connor Dixon Cut

Author:
Coffee
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Wednesday, August 01, 06:02:38pm

I just heard Connor dDixon was injured and cut from the Steelers.

[> Subject: Re: Connor Dixon Cut

Author:
Shoey
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Sunday, July 15, 06:49:57pm

Feel bad for Connor but I heard he is gonna be a grad asst...great news for Duquesne. Also heard some news that wasnt really exciting...Loebig back coaching WR....not a good move IMO.

[> [> Subject: Re: Connor Dixon Cut

Author:
Coffee
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Tuesday, July 17, 09:15:27am

Dave Loya did a great job with the recievers... what's up with that???? I really didn't think Neil had what it took to coach.

[> [> [> Subject: Re: Connor Dixon Cut

Author:
Shoey
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Wednesday, July 18, 12:56:23am

I am not sure just heard that about Loebig..........players did not get along with him at all.....arrogant is what I heard and they didnt trust or respect him. Loya was loved hope he is still there in some capacity....again just rumors.

[> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Connor Dixon Cut

Author:
412 Express
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Monday, July 23, 01:48:01pm

I think you have those feelings confused with the head coach

[> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: uncalled for and unsubstantiated insinuations

Author:
CoachL
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Monday, July 23, 11:43:28pm

Ah, is this board going to turn into one of "those" message boards?

If so, count me out.

[> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: uncalled for and unsubstantiated insinuations

Author:
Coffee
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Monday, July 30, 11:37:28am

Hold on now... This is not the norm for those who post here. So far we've had a good group and I've had to remove very few posts.

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: uncalled for and unsubstantiated insinuations

Author:
CoachL
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Monday, July 30, 01:29:07pm

I agree with you, Coffee... These types of posts have not been the norm, but I would hate for them to become the norm.

As I said, if they DO become the norm, count me out.

I can't stand cheap shots on the football field, and I certainly can't tolerate anonymous, personal cheap shots on message boards.

GO DUKES!

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: uncalled for and unsubstantiated insinuations

Author:
412 Express
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Monday, July 30, 04:19:32pm

I apologize if my post was misconstrued as a "cheap shot". As a former player who is still close with a few of the staff I've been a longtime reader/very rare poster. Last week I saw Neil was taking some undeserved heat and I redirected it to someone a little more deserving. I have no hard feelings toward any coach, so don't shoot the messenger!

If everyone would prefer me not to share anymore 'inside' information I will go back to being a silent visitor.

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: uncalled for and unsubstantiated insinuations

Author:
Shoey
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Tuesday, July 31, 11:20:45pm

My comments were directed and I stand by them. Loebig was not well liked by the players I know and IMO the offense has been better. Dixon is a great get. I dont see anything wrong with that being said I think we have alot of talent and I hope we can keep the chemistry because we sure had it last year. I for one am not happy to see Loebig back. It is an opinion board based on facts and not rumors. Coach Schmitt must know what he is doing so I support the Dukes but I dont like this decision.

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: uncalled for and unsubstantiated insinuations

Author:
412 Express
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Wednesday, August 01, 01:50:15pm

Shoey-not sure what all you've heard negatively about Neil. There has obviously been players that didn't like him but those were mostly sour grapes due to playing time, etc. Coaches aren't there for a popularity contest but if that's the topic of conversation then Schmitt is definitely losing that contest and has since he started 8 years ago. From my experience with Neil he is a very competitive coach who puts himself ALL IN to help the team win. I don't think he will hurt the team in any way. However, if gaining Loebig meant losing Loya, then that was a huge mistake IMO.

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: uncalled for and unsubstantiated insinuations

Author:
Shoey
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Wednesday, August 01, 06:02:38pm

412- My information is from players that play and or played. I do not even think much of it had to do with football. Hope Coach Schmitt made a good decision on this one because it was a bigger problem than most know. I wouldnt be surprised if we are picked #1 or #2 tomorrow in pre-season poll.....we need positive guys on that sideline we have a bulls-eye on our back.

Subject: Serge Kohna an All American

Author:
Coffee
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Tuesday, July 10, 12:17:49pm

Serge was just named one of only two NEC players to the Sports Network's All-America Team.

Subject: Chidozie oparanozie

Author:
Bill radley
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Thursday, May 31, 04:17:59pm

Chidozie oparanozie should be a key contributer to the dukes defense along with serge kona , the combination of linebackers should be unstoppable chidozie also has two younger brothers who go to the linsly school in west virginia where chidozie attended highschool his brothers are chinelo oparanozie a junior running back wich is 5ft7 and wieghs 190 and chimechi oparanozie a freshmen who is 6ft and wieghs 220

Subject: Butler and VCU to A-10 in 2012

Author:
CoachL
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Tuesday, May 29, 09:04:16pm

I received this email today:

Dear Butler Community,

We are pleased to announce that Butler University will join the Atlantic 10 Conference (A-10) in fall 2012, a year ahead of schedule.

Fall competition will include men’s and women’s soccer, volleyball and men’s and women’s cross country; winter competition will include men’s and women’s basketball, women’s swimming, and men’s and women’s indoor track and field; and spring competition will include baseball, softball, men’s and women’s tennis, men’s golf, and men’s and women’s outdoor track and field. Women’s golf will also compete in the spring but not in the A-10 since it does not host women’s golf. Schedules for these teams will begin being posted online at www.butlersports.com this summer.

Butler had planned to leave the Horizon League after 2012-2013 to join the A-10, but an accelerated timetable was made possible by both leagues.

The A-10 will compete as a 16-team league in 2012-2013. In addition to Butler, the league includes first-year member VCU, Charlotte, Dayton, Duquesne, Fordham, George Washington, La Salle, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Richmond, St. Bonaventure, Saint Joseph’s, Saint Louis, Temple and Xavier.

Barry Collier
Vice President and Director of Athletics

Subject: VCU to A-10

Author:
Coffee
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Tuesday, May 15, 11:20:54pm

Well, VCU will join Butler in th A-10. One has an FCS football team and the other is thinking about taking over the old city stadium in Richmond in order to field one. They just started a club team... Sound familiar?

That would give the A-10 Duquesne, Dayton, Fordham, Butler, Rhode Island, Richmond, To add to teams like Albany, Maine and New Hampshire in an A-10 Fotball Program.

Subject: Two Dukes get some national pre-season recognition

Author:
Always a Duke
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Tuesday, May 08, 11:00:40am

QB Sean Patterson: Click here.

RB Larry McCoy: Click here.

It's news like this that makes me anxious for the Dukes' football season to begin. I believe that there may be a few other Dukes recognized on the College Football Awards Watch List as the list expands to include other positions.

[> Subject: Re: Another Duke gets some national pre-season recognition

Author:
Always a Duke
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Tuesday, May 22, 02:53:15am

Serge Kona is named among the top 10 defensive backs in FCS and the top defensive back in the NEC by the Sports Network.

"Serge Kona, Duquesne, FS, Sr., 5-11, 225 - With a sideline-to-sideline playing style, Kona gets to ball carriers and then delivers hard-hitting tackles (he started 11 games at outside linebacker in 2010). He's quick and agile, and, with dreadlocks that flow out from his helmet, he makes people think of another safety in Pittsburgh, Troy Polamalu. Kona had 48 tackles and forced three fumbles last season."

Click here.

Subject: Jerry Schmidt's Contract?

Author:
Duke Nukem
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Friday, May 04, 11:59:32pm

I think that this is JS's last year on his contract. With the way they treat winning coaches at Duquesne, he may have to play in the Rose Bowl to get a new contract.

Better yet, sign him for a multi-year contract and then let him go. That way the university can pay out on two contracts at once and pay more to an inferior coach... But not before screwing around long enough to lose all incoming recruits.

Subject: Nice Dixon Article in Trib

Author:
Shaler Tom
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Friday, May 04, 03:34:12pm

http://triblive.com/sports/1287998-85/dixon-quarterback-season-duquesne-receiver-2009-passes-wide-yards-catching

Subject: It's official... Butler coming to the A-10

Author:
CoachL
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Wednesday, May 02, 01:39:01pm

http://tinyurl.com/7ekpsx8

As a fan of both Duquesne and Butler, I am thrilled!

Subject: Connor Dixon signs with Steelers

Author:
CoachL
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Wednesday, May 02, 09:19:55am

According to this web site:

http://www.mockingthedraft.com/2012/4/28/2984848/2012-nfl-draft-undrafted-free-agent-tracker

Connor Dixon has signed as a free agent with the Pittsburgh Steelers!

Congratulations, Mr. Dixon!!

GO DUKES!

[> Subject: Re: Connor Dixon signs with Steelers

Author:
CoachL
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Sunday, April 29, 01:00:13am

Another article confirming Connor's signing with the Steelers:

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2012/04/steelers-2012-undrafted-free-agent-signing-tracker/

[> [> Subject: Re: Connor Dixon signs with Steelers

Author:
Coffee
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Sunday, April 29, 09:27:16am

Beat me to it! I guess he has a good chance to catch on here. I can see him spending a year or two on the taxi squad until the Steelers need to make changes to stay under the salary cap with all the "young money" around.

I was hoping he'd be drafted but this may be a close second for him. The article you posted mentions that after the first and second rounders, under after free agents make up the next biggest group at the 2011 Pro Bowl...

CONGRATS CONNOR!

[> [> [> Subject: Re: Connor Dixon signs with Steelers

Author:
Duke NukemGood
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Sunday, April 29, 09:54:14am

Show 'me what you got Connor! I'm glad he was able to put on a few pounds without slowing down. He's competing with a ton of talent here.

Author:
Coffee
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Sunday, April 29, 10:44:39am

Good article here on the Dukes and the Draft- http://www.northeastconference.org/news/2012/4/29/FB_DixonSignsSteelers_DU.aspx

[> [> Subject: Re: Connor Dixon signs with Steelers

Author:
Marquis
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Sunday, April 29, 07:55:01pm

Connor has the talent to make it somewhere. I can't see the Steelers adding any more than on WR if any this year now it it seems the only one not coming back is Heinz.

[> [> [> Subject: Re: Connor Dixon signs with Steelers

Author:
Shaler Tom
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Tuesday, May 01, 05:43:25pm

Been away for awhile but I have to pipe in about Dixon. Awesome for the program and the future of Duquesne football. We got alot of PR out of this kid and I hope that the Media Relations make some noise for our returning seniors.
As for Dixon's chances...I think they are very good. The kid is 6'5" and had a 39" vertical at his pro day. He can run a 4.5 forty and we've seen how he can catch. The Steelers have all smurfs; Brown 5'10", Cotchery 6'1", Sanders 5'11", Wallace 6'0"

[> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Connor Dixon signs with Steelers

Author:
Duke from way back
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Wednesday, May 02, 09:19:55am

Congrats to Conner but we have to be careful as much as we want a Duke to shine on Sundays. Toney Clemons is a tremendous athlete. The Steeler coaches are raving about him and his availability at 7. He is 6'2" and although not has tall as Conner he is not a smurf so he may be the bigger guy. Height is only one factor. They can use one of their tight ends with height if need be. With the signing of Cotchery, Wallace and the youth of Sanders and Brown, only one spot really exists for a receiver. And don't forget about he kid from ALA, Maze. He may take Battles place as the 6th reciever, special teams guy. Conner has his work cut out for him. As much as we are pulling for him, the Steelers, as other teams, keep only a small percentage of their free agents. And they dont do favors. I dont remember but i dont think Conner ever played special teams. As talented as he is , he needs a little luck here even to make the practice squad. Godspeed to him.

Author:
Shoey
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Sunday, April 29, 08:57:03pm

That is awesome for Connor.......I wouldnt bet against him making the squad. The talent at Duquesne is getting better each year....I see three Dukes signing next year Kona, McCoy and Patterson all getting looks. pave the way Connor best of luck!!!

Author:
Coffee
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Monday, April 30, 09:25:51pm

Nice tv spot on Connor and the Steelers. http://www.wpxi.com/videos/news/duquesne-wr-from-south-park-agrees-to-rookie-free/vG6CK/

Subject: OUT OF TOWN DUQUESNE COVERAGE

Author:
Duke Nukem (Duke Kukem)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Sunday, April 29, 11:05:15am

Some day the local rags will get off their sorry back sides and realize there is more than one college in Pittsburgh. See the NEC article on the Dixon signing with the Steelers. http://www.northeastconference.org/news/2012/4/29/FB_DixonSignsSteelers_DU.aspx

The Trib ran a nice article on the Panther signings... No Pitt players were drafted this year. Wouldn't it have been great If Connor we're drafted? The PG and Trib would still have only covered Pitt.

Subject: Article in PG on Dixon and the Draft

Author:
Coffee
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, April 28, 11:08:58am

Conner gets some coverage after a good Pro Day. See- http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/college-district/duquesne-wr-dixon-will-have-eye-on-draft-630238/

[> Subject: Re: Article in PG on Dixon and the Draft

Author:
Duke Nukem
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Monday, April 09, 09:06:49pm

I predict Conner gets drafted. Would thi be our first since tho 50's?

[> [> Subject: Re: Article in PG on Dixon and the Draft

Author:
Shoey
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Tuesday, April 10, 10:44:00pm

He should just based on size speed and how he dominated league at his position. I would like to see someone on staff just one time talk about how great a player he is. If I was the coach being quoted I would be just a little more enthusiastic about my player.......how about " He should be drafted there arent that many unique players out there like him.......i dont care if its FBS or FCS. We dont really promote our players too well.IMO.

[> [> [> Subject: Re: Article in PG on Dixon and the Draft

Author:
Coffee
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, April 28, 09:40:15am

Good luck today Conner!

[> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Article in PG on Dixon and the Draft

Author:
Marquis
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, April 28, 11:08:58am

Conner should find his way to a camp regardless of being drafted given the obvious interest. The folks from Delaware last year were very impressed. The Dukes need to set their sights on at least one game per year against a team like Delaware and Old Dominion just to remind the NFL that they need to keep an eye on Duquesne and the NEC. Valporizo doesn't help unless we had to play them in football to get a basketball game/tourney invite in return.

I'd love to take a short trip to Youngstown State. St. Francis did last year.

I hope Leigh Bodden finds his way back to the NFL and is joined by Dixon there. Having two guys in the NFL certainly helps recruiting.

Oh well... Good luck as well to Conner!

Subject: Spring Wrap-Up

Author:
Coffee
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, April 28, 10:55:38am

It's been quiet coming out of the Sprng Drills and haven't heard too much. What I have heard is that Bell is an amazingly quick pass rusher who can't be contained. The only down side is that he still hasn't gotten the rest of his duties memorized yet.

The receivers should be a strong corps again and there is now some depth at QB behind an even better Patterson. Larry McCoy is Larry McCoy.

Some nice adds at DB as well and the LB stable looks solid.

The only issue is that we lost more talent on the lines than we can easily replace. They will need to hit the weight room and lunch lines hard before September.

[> Subject: Re: Spring Wrap-Up

Author:
Duke Nukem
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Sunday, April 29, 09:51:52am

Good short and sweet summary... I agree, the only down side of this year could be the line play. That scares me a bit since That is where it all starts.

Subject: Spring coverage of Old Dominion, the Dukes' first opponent in 2012

Author:
CoachL
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Monday, April 23, 12:25:00pm

Some coverage of Old Dominion's Spring Game for Duquesne fans during the off-season:

http://tinyurl.com/78xpmsx

http://tinyurl.com/6rjt5co

GO DUKES!

Subject: Stand Up for Homeless Children at Duquesne Spring Football Game

Author:
CoachL
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Thursday, April 12, 01:03:48pm

Stand Up for Homeless Children at Duquesne Spring Football Game

Please join the volunteers who will stand silently on Duquesne University’s Academic Walk on Saturday, April 14th from 1:30 – 1:45 PM to raise awareness about the 1,700 children and youth experiencing homelessness in Allegheny County. These volunteer “statues” will stand ...just outside Rooney Field holding a drawing of the face of a child in front of their own face to represent these invisible children. Stay afterwards to watch the annual Duquesne Football Spring Game.

1:30 PM Stand Up for Homeless Children
2:00 PM Spring Football Game

Just show up at 1:25 PM & make a difference for homeless children!

Subject: Spring Practice

Author:
Shoey
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Friday, April 06, 06:06:30am

Has anyone been out to practice? observations?

[> Subject: Re: Spring Practice

Author:
Shoey
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Thursday, March 29, 05:42:44pm

There hasnt been one person out to see spring practice??????? somebody has to have some observations.

[> [> Subject: Re: Spring Practice

Author:
Coffee
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Friday, April 06, 06:06:30am

Sorry Shoey... I haven't been down but the coaches I've talked to seem happy.

Subject: UConn?

Author:
OldSchool
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Monday, April 02, 02:02:59pm

Dukes getting a UConn transfer?

[> Subject: Re: UConn?

Author:
Coffee
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Tuesday, March 27, 09:38:24pm

The football team and the basketball team seem to be heading in different directions. The basketball team will take years to get back to where Ron had them, if ever.

I can't believe that all this came after an impatient and disloyay brat of a kid showed no class or loyalty to the man who committed to him well before others would.

[> [> Subject: Re: UConn?

Author:
OldSchool
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Wednesday, March 28, 04:01:12pm

you must be talking about a basketball transfer? Supposedly the starting FB from UConn is not being offered a scholarship there for his final year of eligibility and is available; hard to believe but UConn's loss if true.

[> [> [> Subject: Re: UConn?

Author:
Coffee
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Thursday, March 29, 12:36:05pm

I wasn't writing of anybody specifically in either basketball or football. It was a general observation on the programs stability.

You really have me curious- Do we play 20 questions to find out who is coming in? If so, what is his position?

[> [> [> [> Subject: Re: UConn?

Author:
OldSchool
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Thursday, March 29, 09:33:56pm

Word is last year's UConn fullback Mark Hinkley is looking at D grad school for last year of eligibility; started all 12 games for them. That's all I got.

[> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: UConn?

Author:
Marquis
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Friday, March 30, 04:23:51pm

That will put some real depth of talent in the backfield with McCoy and others back. Nice problem of playing time to have- full stable!

[> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: UConn?

Author:
Coffee
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Friday, March 30, 08:09:10pm

I don't think he had a carry out of the backfield ay UCONN although he had 2 TDs- Returns?

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: UConn?

Author:
OldSchool
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, March 31, 04:33:46pm

UConn had 0 running plays for fullback last year, basically played 10-on-11 with major QB problems and opponents knew it, stacked the box and brought pressure. Easy to see why no bowl game for them last year but not running backs' fault. Hinkley was helluva blocking back, UConn highlights show TDs came on pass receptions.

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: UConn?

Author:
Coffee
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, March 31, 09:21:31pm

Nice add for the Dukes and for McCoy. If he can catch out of the backfield it's just one more weapon.

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: UConn?

Author:
godukes
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Monday, April 02, 02:48:09am

Check youtube

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: UConn?

Author:
OldSchool
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Monday, April 02, 02:02:59pm

on film, seems to be North-South runner, looking for contact; stays on his blocks. Technique looks good.

Subject: THANKS RON!

Author:
Coffee
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, March 31, 12:24:45pm

To a good man and a great coach from the Duquesne fans and alums who appreciate what you have done for our students, our athletic program, and our university. You brought a great deal of pride back to the Bluff.

[> Subject: Re: THANKS RON!

Author:
Duke from way back
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Friday, March 30, 04:01:00pm

Great post, Coffee. I would like to echo those sentiments and have felt that way ever since the shooting.

[> [> Subject: Re: THANKS RON!

Author:
Marquis
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Friday, March 30, 04:24:55pm

Agreed- Ron is a class act and will be a hard act to follow.

[> [> [> Subject: Re: THANKS RON!

Author:
Duke Nukem
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, March 31, 12:24:45pm

Nice post Coffee and long overdue from the fans.

Ron deserved a better parting than a leaked letter and an abrupt call back to Pittsburgh. He put the program out of the lowest of the low and had some good wins. He showed loyalty and was a respectable coach over those like Thuggins.

No matter what you believe, if GE had made the hire, he'd still have the job. GE can always blame the past. Now he has to get it right however I think it will be a couple of year to even get back to a near .500 conference record.

Main index ] [ Archives: 12[3]45678910 ]

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a new public message:
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
* Message subject (required):

* Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Choose Message Icon: [ View Emoticons ]

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2017 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.