VoyForums

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 1234567[8]910 ]

DUQUESNE DUKES FOOTBALL FORUM
~DUQUESNE DUKES FOOTBALL FORUM~
This forum is for discussion of Duquesne Football since other excellent Duquesne Basketball forums exist. (Links below). It is also open to all Duquesne sponsored or club sports.Duquesne sponsors: Basketball (M/W), Cross Country (M/W), Football, Soccer (M/W), Swimming (W), Tennis (M/W), Track and Field (M/W), LaCrosse (W), Crew (W), Volleyball (W). Club Sports include Ice Hockey and Men's Crew. Some posts on this Forum may be re-posted on the Duquesne Football Blog (See Duquesnesports.blogspot.com). This is a discussionforum where you are a guest. Treat others as you would like to be treated. No foul language, using another's moniker or personal attacks. Character on the field and on this forum reflects upon Duquesne. Links to this site are encouraged. Feedback is welcome. -Coffee

~OTHER DUQUESNE LINKS~

*COFFEE'S DUQUESNE FOOTBALL BLOG*
*OFFICIAL Northeast Conference Football SITE*
*The Sports Network FCS Page*
*USA Today Sagarin Division I College Football Rankings*
*Real Time RPI Division 1 College Football Rankings*
*College Football Data Warehouse*
*ESPN Radio Northeast Conference Notebook*

Subject: Nice Article

Author:
shaler Tom
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Tuesday, August 16, 05:57:39pm

http://www.northeastconference.org/News/fball/2011/8/16/fb-duquesnepreview-11.asp?path=fball

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]

Subject: Camp????

Author:
Shoey
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Monday, August 15, 08:10:47pm

Anybody make there way over to The Bluff??? any updates???

[> Subject: Re: Camp????

Author:
Judge jack McVay Jr
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Monday, August 15, 03:32:26pm

I did attend about an hour of camp last wednesday when the players practiced in uppers and worked hard in a spirited session! Coach Opfar taught effective techniques related to neutralizing your opponent during group, and during team I saw enthusiasm on both sides of the ball.I would say that the defense looked a little ahead of the offense and was pleased to see Nate Totino( a kid I coached in youth football and one of the best kids I ever had)working with the linebackers!I believe the Dukes have talent and an excellent copaching staff, and the pre-season optimism is warranted!

[> [> Subject: Re: Camp????

Author:
Shoey
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Monday, August 15, 06:42:46pm

Thanks...........I really like Opfar defense............the one thing I do think that hurts our offensive developement is that we will not see one eefense play like that all year........everyone standing (unconventional).....offense dosent get a good look at what it will see 90% of the time. Noticed that in Spring Game.

[> [> [> Subject: Re: Camp????

Author:
Curious
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Monday, August 15, 08:10:47pm

As a football coach myself, I am 100% certain that our offense will get a serious look each and every week at the defense our opponents will be showing us. That is what the Scout Defense is for. If anything, players on college Scout Defenses complain that they rarely get to play their own defense in game situations. Those guys playing college football RARELY (if ever) played on the scout team in High School.

The reason that the defense played OUR defense during the Spring Scrimmage is that we were playing ourselves!

GO DUKES!

P.S. I feel the Dukes have a great shot at the NEC Championship this year.

Subject: Best 1-2 Punch in NEC

Author:
Shoey
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Tuesday, August 09, 02:51:59pm

I think the Dukes have the best 1-2 offensvive punch by far in the League (McCoy and Patterson). Those two actually dominated the league over the last 5 games........IF we can get some WR's to pick up the slack for the loss of Dixon and Williams.......I think being picked 2 is low!!!! The best part about it is they are Juniors!!! Go Dukes lets get this board going!!!!!

[> Subject: Re: Best 1-2 Punch in NEC

Author:
Shaler Tom
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Tuesday, August 09, 12:18:20pm

I think you could be right Shoey. In my opinion it all hinges on the OL. You know they'll be doubling Akeem.

[> [> Subject: Re: Best 1-2 Punch in NEC

Author:
Shoey
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Tuesday, August 09, 02:51:59pm

TS- I agree............anxious to see who steps up at WR.........Brady is my wild card guy think he can be good. cangilla is going to be steady .....Florida freshman????

Subject: Dukes/Red Flash on NEC TV

Author:
Coffee
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Monday, August 08, 09:55:17pm

Any idea if any local stations are picking it up live?

Subject: Okay, you've asked for a punter...

Author:
Curious
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Sunday, August 07, 05:44:02pm

http://port-phillip-leader.whereilive.com.au/sport/story/taking-a-punt-on-dukes/

"After returning from a school exchange program in the US city of Boston several years ago, Chris Stockdale decided he would return to the states and go to university there.

And next month he will.

Stockdale, 19, has received an academic and athletic scholarship from Duquesne University in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.

But before hitting the books, the Scotch College graduate will line up at two-a-day practices hoping to snare a spot on Duquesne’s gridiron team as its punter."

[> Subject: Re: Okay, you've asked for a punter...

Author:
Coffee
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Tuesday, July 26, 06:43:35pm

Wasn't there a Scottish kicker in "The Replacements"? I wonder how many yards he's booting it? See if he has a friend who can place-kick since we lost E.D.

[> [> Subject: Re: Okay, you've asked for a punter...

Author:
Curious
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Tuesday, July 26, 08:08:01pm

This boy is Australian.

And as Nigel "The Leg" Gruff said in "The Replacements":

"I'M BLOODY WELSH!"

;-)

[> [> Subject: I could never kick, but I haven't gone anywhere.

Author:
El Duque
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, August 06, 12:04:07pm

[> [> [> Subject: Re: I could never kick, but I haven't gone anywhere.

Author:
Coffee
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Sunday, August 07, 05:44:02pm

Glad you are still around E.D. but I was referring to the "other" E.D. ... Eric Duale.

Strap on the chinstrap and give it a shot!

Subject: Dedication of the Jerome C. Keller Field House & future scheduling

Author:
Always a Duke
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Sunday, August 07, 03:41:46am

Along with approx. 70 other persons I attended yesterday's dedication of Duquesne's new Jerome C. Keller Field House on a humid, rain free, and sometimes breezy evening. There were several speakers who offered their comments and thank yous before the ribbon cutting.

Greg Amodio acknowledged the many people who helped bring this project through the stages of planning, financing, fund raising, and construction. Aside from thanking Mr. Keller for his significant financial contribution, Greg cited former Dukes' coach, Dan McCann on the great work he did in making many phone calls which increased the number of contributors and the amount of the donations.

Coach Schmitt commented on the wow factor of the new locker room, training room, offices and lobby. He said how his staff of coaches and the players were anxious to get started with practice on Monday, and he believed that the new facilities did much to lift everyone's enthusiasm for the upcoming season. He felt that the new facility will be plus in helping with recruiting by demonstrating Duquesne's commitment to improving its football program and facilities.

Jerry Keller gave an account of his days on the campus of Duquesne in the 60s as a commuter. He was most appreciative of the education he received and mentioned one of his biology professors who had a big influence on his career. He was thankful to Duquesne and the Spiritans for his success and was more than happy to help his Alma Mater in carrying out the field house project.

I spoke to several players who were delighted with the improvements, particularly with the spaciousness of the new locker rooms. Coach Schmitt jokingly commented about how pleased he was that he now had an office with windows and the more efficient layout of all the rooms.

Following the tour of the facilities, a wonderful array of hors d'oeuvres and beverages were served under a tent on Academic Walk.

Here are some items I discussed with some Duquesne folks:

1. The 2012 non-conference football schedule will include: Dayton (H), Valparaiso (A), and most likely Youngstown State (A). Rhode Island won't appear on the schedule until the 2013 season. Possible future non-conference opponents might include Georgetown & Old Dominion.

2. The football scoreboards may look very similar to what you've seen before, but they are new.

3. The new field house has a state of the art video system similar to what the big boys (Steelers) have to better prepare the players for each opponent in far less time than it took with the old equipment.

[> Subject: Re: Dedication of the Jerome C. Keller Field House & future scheduling

Author:
Coffee
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Sunday, August 07, 05:45:16pm

Thanks for the update A.A.D.! Now we have to start packing the stands...

Subject: Dukes Pick To Finish 2nd

Author:
CLK
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Wednesday, August 03, 06:24:24pm

Go Dukes

http://www.goduquesne.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/080311aaa.html

[> Subject: Re: Dukes Pick To Finish 2nd

Author:
Coffee
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Wednesday, August 03, 10:26:02pm

Not bad! The Dukes are catching up after the others had a bit of a head start with the scholarship players. See link to NEC Press Release- http://www.northeastconference.org/Pdfs/fball/2011/8/3/FB%20Preseason%20Poll%20Release%2011.pdf

Subject: Bryant and RI Articles in The Sports Network

Author:
Coffee
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Tuesday, July 26, 08:37:20am

Nice articles in The Sports Network about Bryant's move to the FCS and RI's move to the NEC. The Dukes beat Bryant last year in New England. If The Sports Network is claiming that they made the transition to legitimate FCS, this says good things about Duquesne's program. See link at- http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/news/news.aspx?id=4422388

Also a good article on RI stepping up as they transfer to the NEC. See- http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/news/news.aspx?id=4421578 .

Last edited by author: Tuesday, July 26, 08:37:20am   Edited 2 times.

Subject: Keller Fieldhouse to be Dedicated August 6.

Author:
Coffee
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Tuesday, July 26, 08:23:02am

See the article at the University's Athletic Site- http://www.goduquesne.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/072211aaa.html .

Another step forward for the program.

I guess the football offices will move back up the hill.

Subject: College Sporting News NEC 2011 Season Preview

Author:
Curious
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Friday, July 22, 07:47:59pm

http://www.collegesportingnews.com/content.php?503-2011-FCS-Season-Preview-Northeast-Conference

"Another team that could be poised to make a rush for the NEC championship is the Duquesne Dukes, coached by seventh-year head coach Jerry Schmitt.

Though they will be working with a new offensive coordinator (Gary Dunn, from Morehead State), they also boast the return of their top passer (quarterback Sean Patterson, 2,050 yards passing, 20 TDs), and rusher (running back Larry McCoy, 1,291 yards rushing, 6 TDs). Though tight end Sean Bunevich says good-bye to the Dukes, the return of their entire starting offensive line seems to point to a productive 2011.

If the Dukes can replace a host of seniors in their defensive backfield, they will be serious contenders for the NEC title, with returning players like defensive end Alex Inda (55 tackles, 3 sacks, 1 fumble recovery) and linebacker Serge Kona (64 tackles, 3 forced fumbles). The return of linebacker Chidozie Oparanozie, after missing the 2009 and 2010 season, also adds depth to the Dukes' already-potent front seven."

Predicted Order of Finish
1. Central Connecticut State
2. Albany Great Danes
3. Duquesne Dukes
4. Robert Morris Colonials
5. Bryant Bulldogs
6. Monmouth Hawks
7. Wagner Seahawks
8. Sacred Heart Pioneers
9. St. Francis (PA) Red Flash

Subject: Optimum Scouting NEC Pre-Season picks

Author:
Shoey
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Wednesday, July 20, 11:51:49pm

Some interesting first and second team picks in the NEC. Go to www.optimumscouting.com

Subject: Proposed Expansion of FCS Playoffs

Author:
Always a Duke
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, July 09, 04:01:47pm

The Southland Conference Commissioner, Tom Burnett, has proposed the expansion of the field of teams participating in the FCS playoffs from the current 20 teams to 22 or 24. The Southland Conference is a co-sponsor of the FCS Championship game which was played for the first time at Pizza Hut Park in Frisco Park, TX, on Jan. 7, 2011. The championship games for the 2011 and 2012 seasons will be held at this facility in Jan. 2012 and Jan. 2013, respectively.

During the last football season there were 125 FCS teams of which the 20 playoff teams represented only 16% of all FCS teams. Expanding to 24 teams would increase the level of playoff participation to 19.2 %. This is pale in comparison to the over 50% of the FBC teams who play in a multitude of bowl games.

The current 20-team format has only 8 teams actually playing in the first round and grants 12 teams byes for that round. The expanded format could have 16 teams playing in the first round and giving only 8 teams byes. The expanded format still would result in 16 teams playing in the second round as is currently the case so there would be no need for an additional week to be added to the playoff schedule to accommodate the additional teams. Note that many FCS coaches would like the field expanded as well.

Commissioner Burnett also had some interesting comments about the NCAA's raising of the thresholds for teams' switching from the FCS to the FBS which could provide more stability to the FCS. (Villanova comes to mind.) Here's a link to Commissioner Burnett's interview:

Click here.

[> Subject: Re: Proposed Expansion of FCS Playoffs

Author:
Coffee
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, July 09, 10:33:46pm

As usual, A.A.D.- You make sense. Nice post.

Subject: HAPPY FOURTH OF JULY!

Author:
Coffee
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Monday, July 04, 09:18:37am

let us never forget that this nation has much to be proud of!

[> Subject: Re: HAPPY FOURTH OF JULY!

Author:
Shaler Tom
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Monday, July 04, 12:11:03pm

Well said! Happy 4th Everyone!

Subject: Ideas?

Author:
Curious
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Friday, June 17, 10:10:46pm

Interesting stuff...

http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/misc/haley/index.htm

Subject: Charlotte Rejected by two Football Conferences

Author:
Coffee
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, June 11, 11:30:30am

The Charlotte Observer reported that the 49ers were rejected by two FCS conferences when then begin playing football in the FCS in 2013. See- http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2011/06/09/2362232/2-leagues-turn-down-49ers-bid.html

Rule out the Patriot and Pioneer. They don't offer scholarships. The only workable solution if the CAA doesn't work is the NEC. Current fellow A-10 member Duquesne is there along Rhode Island joining in 2013. The other associate member, Albany takes its football pretty seriously. Both Duquesne and Albany have pounded lumps on Patriot League teams in the last few years and have beaten or played well against CAA teams. Duquesne was the only team to beat Pioneer power Dayton. The NEC has passed up all the lower rung conferences including the Patriot, Pioneer, Big South, etc. in both he RPI and Sagarin Football Rankings since they went scholarship.

An even better idea would be to get the A-10 leadership working on an A-10 Football League with A-10 Charter Members Dayton, Fordham, Duquesne, Rhode Island, Charlotte and Richmond since UMass is going BCS. Throw in a few good teams like Albany, Stony Brook and Old Dominion.

Subject: Wish the kid good luck!

Author:
El Duque
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, June 11, 10:35:18am

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2011/05/locked_out_from_their_nfl_drea.html

[> Subject: Re: Wish the kid good luck!

Author:
Coffee
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, June 04, 09:52:46pm

Great find... Sean is a great kid and has some talent to play pro somewhere. His injuries always held him back or he may have been drafted outright.

[> [> Subject: Re: Wish the kid good luck!

Author:
Marquis
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Monday, June 06, 09:23:30pm

Any idea of who else other than Bunovich trying out for the pros if they ever settle?

[> [> [> Subject: Re: Wish the kid good luck!

Author:
Shaler Tom
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Thursday, June 09, 11:37:42am

I know that Dixon was given a look by the Saints and the Eagles and was told that a free agency signing was a real possibility. Unfortunately, the lock-out is hurting all these kids.

[> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Wish the kid good luck!

Author:
Marquis
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, June 11, 10:35:18am

Delaware fans thought that Dixon would be a lock for the pros at receiver. Of all our opponents last year, they would know.

[> Subject: Re: Wish the kid good luck!

Author:
Duke '03
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Thursday, June 09, 03:35:09pm

We came across this too -
Good luck to them!

Ex-Duquesne TE Sean Bunevich earned the reputation of being one of the finest tight ends in the conference during his time with the Dukes. Bringing the next generation of NFL stars to you today on the NFL Draft Bible Player Spotlight Show, hosted by Bo Marchionte.

LISTEN / DOWNLOAD HERE
http://www.nfldraftbible.com/Draft-Bible-Q-A/player-spotlight-sean-bunevich-duquesne.html

Subject: THANKS TO ALL WHO SERVED AND SACRIFICED

Author:
Coffee
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Monday, May 30, 12:32:26pm

Deepest appreciation and gratitude to all have served and sacrificed for our nation and also to their families.

[> Subject: Re: THANKS TO ALL WHO SERVED AND SACRIFICED

Author:
Duke '03
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Friday, June 10, 01:05:33pm

Today and Always!

Subject: Eric Duale Gone?

Author:
Coffee
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Friday, May 20, 08:34:24pm

Well, I guess it was too good to be true. Just when the Dukes kicking gets to be a real strength again, something goes wrong. Eric Duale is no longer listed on the roster. Charlie L. is listed as the starter. The Mule wasn't a senior was he?

[> Subject: Re: Eric Duale Gone?

Author:
Marquis
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Friday, May 20, 08:41:11pm

Duale was to be a junior- very disappointing.

Subject: Spring 2011 Prospectus

Author:
Curious
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Tuesday, May 17, 03:55:46am

Interesting off-season reading:

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/duqu/sports/m-footbl/auto_pdf/11_Prospectus.pdf

[> Subject: Re: Spring 2011 Prospectus

Author:
Coffee
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Wednesday, May 18, 01:28:17pm

Thanks for posting- The record is incomplete. According to the college Footbal data Warehouse, the Dukes have over 400 wins. (See Blog)

Subject: Rhode Island's move to the NEC

Author:
Curious
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Thursday, April 21, 11:19:31am

Good article about Rhode Island's move to the NEC...

http://www.projo.com/uri/content/jim_donaldson_on_uri_football_04-21-11_EPNLTJ_v2.65c1da.html

[> Subject: Re: Rhode Island's move to the NEC

Author:
Coffee
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Friday, April 22, 10:21:39pm

Good article but the folks that are commenting and bad mouthing the NEC as a bottom conference just aren't aware of the latest Sagarin and RPI Rankings that show how many conferences we passed last year. This will be a good fit for the Rams since they draw about 4,000 per game.

Having fellow A-10 brother in our football conference makes my happy. Now if we could figure a way to lure Dayton, RI and Fordham...

UMass, on the other hand will join the MAC in BCS Land. See article at http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/college/football/view/2011_0420umass_moves_up_to_fbs_plays_2012-13_at_gillette/ . This actually is good for the status of the A-10.

Last edited by author: Friday, April 22, 10:44:23pm   Edited 4 times.

Subject: SPRING GAME NOTES FROM THE BLOG

Author:
Coffee
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Sunday, April 17, 10:07:37am

-There was something familiar about this years spring game other than the usual spring showers. He had 3 tackles and a sack. We'll all have to re-learn his name- it's Chidozie Oparanizie.

-One pleasant surprise was Charlie Leventry's 46 yard field goal. Eric Duale had ended the year strongly and is still on the roster.

- Freshman Sean Brady took a step to show who would be there to replace Conner Dixon and co. by pulling two catches for 17 yards.

-Fourteen players were held out of the game due to injury or recovery from surgery.

-Backup QB Marty Mitchell gained some valuable playing time and completed 4 of 5 passes for 44 yards. Sean Patterson completed his only attempt.

- Bill Bair scored a rushing touchdown and Ryan Ho continued to impress with a long run of 23 yards. Marcus Hughes was given 5 carries to gain 27 yards.

-Alex broadcast the Spring Game and interviews on Red Zone but the link from Red Zone is gone. Alex- If you read this, send along the link. You had a few great interviews that I'm sure many will be interested in.

Dave Mackall's Trib article- http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/college/s_732693.html

Subject: Spring Game - 2 PM Saturday, April 16

Author:
Curious
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Sunday, April 17, 09:32:37am

The Dukes' Spring Game is this Saturday, April 16 at 2:00 pm.

I can't be there, so I'm hoping that a number of folks who frequent this message board will be able to make it out to The Bluff to support the boys and give us a report on what you saw.

GO DUKES!

[> Subject: Re: Spring Game - 2 PM Saturday, April 16

Author:
Shoey
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Thursday, April 14, 04:37:53pm

Thanks for the information on the Spring game........wasnt big enough news to make the school website though. There is some information on the womens lacrosse festivities just in case you missed it (no offense........but seriously????) It is amazing with the facilities , academic requirements,marketing, band?? scholarship numbers that we are talking about competing in the NEC. Who needs opponents? we are beating ourselves.

[> [> Subject: Re: Spring Game - 2 PM Saturday, April 16

Author:
Shaler Tom
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Sunday, April 17, 09:32:37am

Amen to that Shoey. Until we get a commitment from the AD, we'll always be on the outside looking in!

Subject: TMH

Author:
Chidozie Oparanozie
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Sunday, April 17, 09:26:29am

Chidozie is apparently back in a Duquesne uniform after sitting out the last 2 years. He led the scrimmage with 3 tackles including the only sack. Welcome back.

[> Subject: Re: TMH

Author:
Coffee
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, April 16, 09:05:10pm

The kid could play... Glad he's back.

[> Subject: Re: TMH

Author:
Shaler Tom
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Sunday, April 17, 09:26:29am

A great addition. Thanks for the updates. I haven't been able to get to any spring workouts this year.

Subject: 2011 Commit

Author:
Curious
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, April 16, 04:59:46pm

Vincent Czerniewski, DT

http://duquesne.scout.com/a.z?s=420&p=8&c=1&nid=4812106

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjQqYdS9L-I

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HC6g8uJ9NGE

http://nationalunderclassmen.ning.com/profile/VincentCzerniewski

http://profiles.berecruited.com/athletes/athletics/817951

http://www.facebook.com/people/Vincent-Czerniewski/565721607#!/profile.php?id=565721607&sk=wall

http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2010/12/04/the-post-gazette-high-school-football-show-vince-czerniewski/

http://nationalunderclassmen.ning.com/video/vincent-czerniewski-59-oldl

[> Subject: Re: signing

Author:
Curious
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Wednesday, February 09, 11:49:34pm

It appears that Mr.Czerniewski signed his Letter of Intent on Tuesday, February 8. That's nearly a full week after "Signing Day".

It appears to me that is a rather typical situation within Duquesne recruiting. That's why I don't worry about the "late" reporting of signees.

Our patience will be rewarded!

GO DUKES!

[> [> Subject: Re: signing

Author:
shoey
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Thursday, February 10, 12:36:26pm

there were pleanty that signed on signing day..........report like most schools do.....you can add later. Path of least resistance is my reason for being critical......its the MO of the reporting for Duquesne football. If it was basketball we would know the moment they picked up the pen or for that matter verballed.

[> Subject: Re: 2011 Commit

Author:
dukesdawg76
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Wednesday, February 23, 03:30:10pm

i read somewhere that that czerniewski kid (DT, north allegheny) is in the Big 33 game..is this true??

[> [> Subject: Re: 2011 Commit

Author:
Lisa
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Sunday, April 10, 11:36:07pm

it's true

Author:
Coffee
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Wednesday, April 13, 09:06:20am

Good size for the line. All conference player from a great program who will put pressure on the QB. If I read correctly, he had almost as many sacks as tackles.

Author:
Alex P.
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, April 16, 04:59:46pm

My son played with Vince at North Allegheny..Great kid and a great player...Looking forward to watching him for the next number of years!

Subject: Spring Football Game Tailgate

Author:
Anonymous
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Friday, April 15, 08:52:40am

The football team is hosting a Spring Football Tailgate at Rockefellers in Mckee's Rocks today at 5:00 PM. It is $100 dollars to get in the door and all you can eat and drink with some pretty cool prizes, including a chartered trip to the Albany game next year.
http://www.facebook.com/#!/event.php?eid=111950332221112

Subject: From the Blog...

Author:
Coffee
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Wednesday, April 13, 11:55:44am

Wednesday, April 13, 2011
Naming Rights at Rooney...
Don't get me wrong, the Dukes membership in the NEC appears to be a great decision for now. The program and the conference are really heading upfield.

In order to raise some money for the program, the Athletic Department should sell naming rights to different parts of Rooney Field. The following is mentioned for consideration...

10. Heinz "Not-so-Grande" Stands
(Don't build it so they don't come)

9. Comfort Inn Park Bench/Concrete Slab Visitor Section
(You won't have to pay to sit on cold cement)
(Some day we'll even turn the park bences around to face the field!)

8. Miller Light Bluff Street Tailgate Area
(I know, we don't tailgate in Pittsburgh, do we?)

7. Scott's Turf-Builder End Zone Seating Area
(Keep off the grass)

6. Smith Hot Dog 50 Yard Line Concession Area
(The best seat in the house is at our condiment table)

5. Minnie-Me Press Box/Box Seating Area
(No, we really don't want much press coverage or luxury boxes- We'd rather sell hot dogs on the first floor)

4. St. Mary's Convent Scoreboard
(We have a vow of silence to consider)

3. The Straub Tailgate Area (Progress made- Already here with this one!)
(We're really just a covered over-priced picnic area)

2. The Fritz Funeral Home Marching Band
(We'd rather see a guy, his dog and a Frisbee at the half)

1. Puny Field
(The field doesn't really fit the name Rooney)

I hate to sound negative when the program is really going in the right direction but seriously, how can we ever hope to get a decent team like Delaware of Youngstown State to ever want to play here and why would fans want to come back? It is an absolute miracle that J.S is able to recruit kids to play in front of these bleachers. This field has the potential to be a fantastic place to watch an FCS game but nobody sees the potential.

The Pirates can still attract fans to their games by building a small, but well designed field, no matter what they put ON the field. Duquesne will draw MUCH better too if they do the same.

Three last "honorable mentions"-

-The WQED "Things that aren't There Anymore Expanded Seating Area"

-The "Nobody Cares About Traditions Trophy"- To the winner of the Duquesne-RMU Game.

-The "Tree Falls in the Woods" Pep Band- If you can't hear them, are they really there?

Last edited by author: Wednesday, April 13, 11:55:44am   Edited 1 time.

Subject: Duquesne is "sexy"!

Author:
Curious
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Wednesday, April 06, 09:33:45pm

Good update on Valparaiso, a 2011 opponent...

http://posttrib.suntimes.com/sports/4645158-556/mutka-vu-transfers-slow-rebuilding.html

"Valparaiso’s upgrade includes a sexier schedule, including September road trips to Youngstown State and Duquesne. Both are first-time opponents."

;-)

[> Subject: Re: Duquesne is "sexy"!

Author:
Coffee
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Tuesday, April 05, 10:18:12pm

I wish we would have put Youngstown State on our schedule! If they'd play Valpo, why wouldn't they schedule the Dukes? This could be a great regional rivalry game for both teams.

It is nice to see that other programs are looking at the Duquesne game as "playing up" in the FCS!

[> [> Subject: Re: Duquesne is "sexy"!

Author:
Curious
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Wednesday, April 06, 11:44:39am

I still hold out hope for Youngstown State. As you say, they are willing to play Butler and Valparaiso, and there is some talk about Dayton landing on their schedule in the near future.

However, I have a hard time imagining that Youngstown State would accept a home-and-home contract with Duquesne. Theoretically, they could have more fans who travel to a close-by away game than Rooney Field could accommodate. That simply isn't happening.

Which brings us to our 2011 schedule...

Bottom line is: The Dukes have to travel unless they are playing someone like Valparaiso. In 2011, the Dukes had to find someone to come to Pittsburgh or else we would have had only 4 home games out of 11. Robert Morris played only 10 games last season because of the difficulty of finding Division I opponents to come to Moon Township, and they (rightfully) refuse to schedule Division II opponents.

2011 is an aberration in the Duquesne schedule. I'm confident that 2012 and beyond will bring a return of the Delaware/Nicholls State/Full Scholarship-type of opponent. (To whom we will have to travel, without the benefit of a home-and-home agreement.)

The Dukes need to get the job done on the road at Bucknell and Dayton before they even think about Valparaiso. That being said, I am confident that the Dukes will head into NEC play at 3-0 and have a full head of steam when they visit Loretto on September 24.

GO DUKES!

[> [> [> Subject: Re: Duquesne is "sexy"!

Author:
Marquis
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Wednesday, April 06, 09:33:45pm

I actually would be ok with playing all the games at Youngstown State. Its a short drive for our fans. They didn't re-build Rooney to be able to host the Central Catholic Football team much less host the fans that YSU would bring.

[> Subject: Re: Duquesne is "sexy"!

Author:
El Duque
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Wednesday, April 06, 12:22:03pm

Another reporter equating Duquesne with French call girls ...

There's nothing sexy about football in Pittsburgh, nor should there be. Pittsburgh football is all about punching someone in the face.

Go Dukes!

Subject: Brian Layhue

Author:
TMH
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Sunday, April 03, 11:13:07pm

My very reliable source says that Brian has had another unfortunate injury recently breaking his ankle. I'm not sure if anyone wants to confirm.

Subject: 2011 Spring practice schedule

Author:
Curious
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Wednesday, March 30, 03:38:49pm

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/duqu/sports/m-footbl/auto_pdf/2011-spring-fb-sked.pdf

Team is looking good!

Some players in new positions for 2011.

[> Subject: Re: 2011 Spring practice schedule

Author:
shoey
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Monday, March 21, 11:05:06am

curious- can u give a little preview as to what you have seen and who looks good?

[> [> Subject: Re: 2011 Spring practice schedule

Author:
Curious
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Tuesday, March 22, 12:04:52am

Quick comments from the road...

Serge Kona moved to DB. Could be lethal back there.

Brian Layhue back to TE. That young man is a beast. Should be a serious weapon in the Dukes' arsenal this year.

Offensive line looked good, but changes and injuries on the defensive side may have contributed to that. Passodelis not suited up, but looks to be back soon.

Redshirt Freshman WR Noel Oduho looks to become a solid possession type of receiver with good height and good hands.

Redshirt Freshman QB Rich Piekarski has been moved to DB. Wasn't doing badly in his new position, and will give the Dukes some additional height in the defensive backfield.

Sophomore RB Ryan Ho is a nasty little scat-back. I would hate to try to tackle him in the open field. Not a bad blocker for a small guy, either.

QBs were working off the rust, but were flinging the ball well.

Still a few guys not suited up... Inda, Burno, Passodelis, etc., but it appeared that all of them will be back soon.

It's sometimes hard to tell who is who during practice because the practice numbers don't always match the game jersey numbers, and these old eyes can't always see the number on the back of the helmet! And I didn't have a roster with me anyway.

I liked the attitude of the coaches and the players during the practices. Everyone seems to be working hard and there appears to be a winning attitude that permeates the team.

Those are my basic thoughts off the top of my head. I'm really looking forward to the 2011 season. I have to believe that the Dukes will be serious contenders for the NEC championship this year, and the NEC AQ slot in the playoffs.

GO DUKES!

[> [> [> Subject: Re: 2011 Spring practice schedule

Author:
Coffee
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Tuesday, March 22, 11:29:13am

Curious,

You've been providing quite a bit to this board on recruiting, spring practice and other things. For those of us who can't get there, we really appreciate sharing your thoughts and observations!

[> [> Subject: Re: 2011 Spring practice schedule

Author:
shoey
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Monday, March 28, 10:49:29am

anu updated reports on spring practice

[> [> [> Subject: Re: 2011 Spring practice schedule

Author:
Curious
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Wednesday, March 30, 03:38:49pm

Someone else will have to pick up the slack. I won't be able to make it to any more practices.

Subject: Schedule Released

Author:
A
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Monday, March 28, 10:31:04am

2011 DUQUESNE FOOTBALL
additional game times to be announced
Date Opponent Time
Sept. 3 at Bucknell 6:00 pm
Sept. 10 at Dayton TBA
Sept. 17 VALPARAISO TBA
Sept. 24 at Saint Francis, Pa.* TBA
Oct. 1 BRYANT (HC)* TBA
Oct. 8 at Albany* TBA
Oct. 15 CENTRAL CONN. STATE* TBA
Oct. 22 WAGNER* TBA
Oct. 29 at Monmouth* TBA
Nov. 12 at Sacred Heart* TBA
Nov. 19 ROBERT MORRIS* TBA
* - indicates Northeast Conference (NEC) games
HC - Homecoming game vs. Bryant

[> Subject: Re: Schedule Released

Author:
Coffee
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Friday, March 25, 06:56:00pm

Not a bad schedule except for trading Delaware for Valpo. As many have requested, the Robert Morris game is where it should be as the rivalry game it is!

[> Subject: Re: Schedule Released

Author:
SEWHCAOC
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Monday, March 28, 10:31:04am

UNDEFEATED !!

Subject: healynguyen

Author:
Nguyen (happy)
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Monday, March 28, 03:43:09am

Hi everyone , this is my first post , i really like football (football, baseball or soccer ) , hope i can learn more from this forum

Subject: Football Conference Rumors

Author:
Coffee
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Friday, March 18, 03:37:44pm

Interesting... I always thought that the A-10 should form a football FCS conference with Duquesne, R.I., Dayton, Fordham, Albany, Maine, N.H., Georgetown, Stony Brooke and the like. (See Blog Poll)

http://collegesportsinfo.com/2011/02/14/conference-rumors/

Subject: Challenge Trophy Committee Meeting- 3/15/11

Author:
Coffee
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Wednesday, March 16, 11:19:34pm

There will be a meeting of those interested in helping to promote a Steel City Collegiate Football Challenge Trophy to be awarded annually to the winner of the Duquesne-Robert Morris at the Red Ring Restaurant on Tuesday, March 15 at 5:00 pm. All are welcome to discuss this concept. We hope to form a committee to sponsor this trophy and to work with both universities to recognize and build upon local collegiate football tradition.

Please shoot me an e-mail at mmddraskovich@gmail.com if you can attend this or future meetings. Thanks to Judge Jack M. for jump starting this idea.

See the Blog link above for the the various articles and trophy picture for background and possible ideas for the trophy.

[> Subject: Re: Challenge Trophy Committee Meeting- 3/15/11

Author:
Marquis
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, February 26, 09:40:43am

I will not be in Pittsburgh at that time but I'm with you!

[> Subject: Re: Challenge Trophy Committee Meeting- 3/15/11

Author:
Coffee
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Wednesday, March 09, 09:20:24pm

Three attending. Could use a couple more!

[> [> Subject: Re: Challenge Trophy Committee Meeting- 3/15/11

Author:
Curious
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Thursday, March 10, 11:26:38am

I'm sorry that I can't make it. I won't be in Pittsburgh until the following weekend.

GO DUKES!

[> [> [> Subject: Re: Challenge Trophy Committee Meeting- 3/15/11

Author:
Coffee
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Thursday, March 10, 10:59:08pm

We'll keep you posted. Thanks for all the recruiting info.

[> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Challenge Trophy Committee Meeting- 3/15/11

Author:
Coffee
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Wednesday, March 16, 11:19:34pm

Well- Thanks to Judge Jack and Always a Duke, we will try to offer a trophy again to the winner of the Duquesne-Bobby Mo game this year. Stay tuned for details...

Subject: New offensive coordinator

Author:
El Duque
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Monday, March 07, 04:03:09pm

Gary Dunn, formerly OC at Morehead State, replaces Niel Loebig, who moved to Florida.

http://www.goduquesne.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/030211aaa.html

[> Subject: Re: New offensive coordinator

Author:
Coffee
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Thursday, March 03, 09:11:40am

Dunn is already well received by many of the current coaching staff. This throws some of the other assistant coaching assignments up in the air.

[> [> Subject: Re: New offensive coordinator

Author:
Shoey
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Thursday, March 03, 07:41:01pm

Coffee- Not sure I follow you...........isnt this just a one for one replacement? how does it effect other than that? just curious.

[> [> [> Subject: Re: New offensive coordinator

Author:
Coffee
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Thursday, March 03, 10:23:59pm

Neil Loebig had coached QB's. Dunn had done work with the O-Line. Its not a 1-1 trade for the particular units. For example, Dave Loya may have to take over the quarterbacks again.

[> [> [> [> Subject: Re: New offensive coordinator

Author:
Shoey
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Sunday, March 06, 11:47:00pm

Having Loya as QB coach will be a upgrade IMO

[> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: New offensive coordinator

Author:
Marquis
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Monday, March 07, 04:03:09pm

Agreed... After all, who coached Loebig???

Subject: Fantastic 2011 Duquesne Recruits Video!!!

Author:
Coffee
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, March 05, 10:30:47am

See: http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=613741894512&oid=209320593395&comments

Some REAL PLAYERS!

[> Subject: Re: Fantastic 2011 Duquesne Recruits Video!!!

Author:
Dukes Fan
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Sunday, February 27, 01:18:22pm

Very impressive video! Well done... and looks like a great class for not having many seniors graduate!

[> [> Subject: Re: Fantastic 2011 Duquesne Recruits Video!!!

Author:
Shoey
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Tuesday, March 01, 03:12:21pm

I am very critical of SID and Athletic Department in football............i must say I am surprised and pleased. I really like that WR from florida!!!!

[> [> [> Subject: Re: Fantastic 2011 Duquesne Recruits Video!!!

Author:
DukesPride
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Friday, March 04, 05:34:23pm

SID did not create this. Assistant coaches put together highlight films for their players every week and created this as well. I wish they would post those up on the website so we could see them. I hear they are really good.

[> Subject: Re: Fantastic 2011 Duquesne Recruits Video!!!

Author:
Shaler Tom
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, March 05, 10:30:47am

Awesome video. Looks like a very nice crop of kids.

Subject: 2011 Football Recruiting Class Announced

Author:
Curious
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Thursday, February 24, 01:31:59pm

http://www.goduquesne.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/022411aac.html

Feb. 24, 2011

PITTSBURGH - Duquesne University head football coach Jerry Schmitt announced the addition of 15 student-athletes to the Dukes football program today.

The incoming class covers six states ranging from Alabama to Florida to California.

This is the fourth season Duquesne has offered scholarships in the sport of football in the modern era.

"I am very excited about this recruiting class as we continue to develop our program in the Northeast Conference," said Schmitt. "These student-athletes are talented football players, have a strong commitment to their academic future, and believe in the team-first concept.

"The staff is looking forward to working with each of these young men when they join us in the fall."

The 2011 season will be Duquesne's fourth as an associate football-playing member of the Northeast Conference.

The Dukes, who closed last season with wins in four of their final five games, will return 14 starters from last year's 7-4 team (5-3 in the NEC).

DU will open four-plus weeks of spring practice on March 16. The annual spring game will take place on Saturday, April 17 on Rooney Field. The time of the game is to be announced.

RECRUITING CLASS BREAKDOWN BY STATE

Pennsylvania: *7
California: 3
Florida: 2
Alabama: 1
New Jersey: 1
New York: 1
* - Six of the seven Pennsylvania recruits competed in the WPIAL

[> Subject: Who did we miss?

Author:
Curious
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Thursday, February 24, 02:55:58pm

We seem to have gotten the majority of the commits before the announcement, but let's give those guys we missed their due:

ALDAIN BARHAM, CB (Junior College)

Mr. Barham was listed as a "prospect" early in January, but not as a "commit". To save you from having to scroll down the page to find his links, I'll re-post them here:

http://rivals.yahoo.com/highschool/football/recruiting/player-Aldain-Barham-111644

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3LmYmVEq2Jc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjPOsmvy29g

http://recruiting.scout.com/a.z?s=73&p=8&c=1&nid=3090866

http://www.gamedayrecruits.com/ViewProfile.php?who=1946

"Starting cornerback and defensive standout for 8-3 Los Angeles Pierce College last season ... originally from Lindenwold, N.J. ... was an all-area and all-conference defensive back at Lindenwold HS where he also ran track ...finished his high school career at Campus Magnet where he was second team NY All-Metro ... played JC ball under head coach Efrain Martinez."

JORDAN BROOKS, OL

NOTE: Here is you player from Alabama, Judge Jack!

"Was a three-year letterman in both football and basketball at Class 6A Pelham ... earned all-county mention in football ... named All-Shelby offensive lineman by the Birmingham News .. did not allow a sack as a junior or senior ... high school coach Brett Burnett."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQWvwogMilc

http://profiles.berecruited.com/athletes/860713

DAN BUCHHOLZ, DL

"First team all-league defensive lineman ... had 50 tackles and five sacks as a senior ... named honorable mention all-area ... two-year letterman ... also played lacrosse ... high school coach Mike Choi."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8QB68V0UXg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AxDPsWkvFPY

MATT DOMAN, LB

"First team All-Great Southern Conference linebacker ... also played fullback ... team captain as a senior ... led team in tackles both as a junior (120) and senior (112) ... honorable mention member of the WesternPAFootball.net Big School All-Star Team ... added six sacks, a forced fumble, seven fumble recoveries and an interception as a junior ... had 11 or more tackles in a game eight times during his junior season ... three-year letterman for Class AAAA Upper St. Clair ... high school coach Jim Render."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGZOh10z2DU

PAUL MANIA, LB

Once again, we discussed Mr. Mania earlier, but here is a bit of a refresher in order to save the trouble of scrolling down to find him:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_7T6z_7wGg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmHviFhSW1A

http://www.nj.com/hssports/blog/football/index.ssf/2011/01/hunterdon_centrals_mania_gives_duquesne_verbal.html

DEVIN WILLIAMS, DB

"First team all-East Bay Athletic League defensive back ... helped perennial power De La Salle (14-0) to the CIF State Open Division championship in front of 10,283 fans at The Home Depot Center in Carson, Cailf. ... had a 30-yard punt return in the title game ... named third team all-state ... had 33 tackles (28 unassisted), two sacks and four interceptions as a senior ... also returned 13 punts for 342 yards and two touchdowns ... had 22 stops as a junior in helping the Spartans to an additional Open Division championship... comes from a storied De La Salle program that once had a 151-game win streak and has produced nine NFL players (including five currently playing) ... high school coach Bob Ladouceur."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEGSGYXi0Og

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c996ANc8cdU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bLMGSunpCZM

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/recruiting/player-Devin-Williams-100793

http://recruiting.scout.com/a.z?s=73&p=8&c=1&nid=5114601

Welcome to Duquesne, gentlemen!

GO DUKES!!

Subject: Additional 2011 commitments

Author:
Curious
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Tuesday, February 22, 10:29:15am

Please forgive the delay on these. My father passed away and I've been a bit busy with other things.

From this article:

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/highschool/s_722166.html

Scott Barlek, OL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4v9yZrUKOfs

http://www.wpxi.com/video/24369819/index.html

http://profiles.berecruited.com/athletes/945942

http://www.wpxi.com/highschool/24327512/detail.html

Tommy Berexa, WR

http://www.wpxi.com/video/24249332/index.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOgaZL9WdqM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pT57Nv1_JLo

http://ephraimthomas7.com/

http://profiles.berecruited.com/athletes/975332

http://www.wtae.com/r/24694699/detail.html

Brent Calvin, LS

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=153902594625118&ref=mf

Not much available information on Mr. Calvin, our Long Snapper recruit.

This brings us to: 5 from Pennsylvania, 2 from California, 2 from Florida, and 1 from New Jersey

GO DUKES!

[> Subject: Re: Additional 2011 commitments

Author:
Judge Jack McVay Jr
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Sunday, February 20, 02:56:43pm

Curious, I am sorry to hear of your loss and you have my deepest sympathy .My love for Duquesne football probably originated with my Dad telling me stories of Mike Basrak and Boyd Brumbaugh ,and I lost him in August!Hang in there! Jack

[> Subject: Re: Additional 2011 commitments

Author:
Coffee
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Sunday, February 20, 09:37:52pm

Curious,
My very deepest sympathies on the loss of your father- And to you too Judge Jack. My own passed the past May.

Thanks for the recruiting update.

[> [> Subject: My condolences to you three ...

Author:
El Duque
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Monday, February 21, 06:20:50am

Some things are clearly more important in life.

[> [> [> Subject: Re: My condolences to you three ...

Author:
Curious
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Monday, February 21, 03:19:32pm

Thank you, gentlemen. And my condolences to Coffee and Judge Jack, as well.

My father died at the age of 93. He had a full life, lived on his own in his own house (my mother passed away in 2001), passed quickly and didn't suffer. If he would have "scripted" the way he wanted to go, this would have been pretty close.

He remembered Duquesne from its football successes before WWII, and because he was aware of all of the Catholic colleges at the time. He joined me in becoming a fan recently, and I know that he was looking forward to following Duquesne football later on this year. He'll be able to see all of the Dukes' games "in person" from now on.

Thank you, again.

GO DUKES!

[> [> [> [> Subject: Re: My condolences to you three ...

Author:
Coffee
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Tuesday, February 22, 10:29:15am

Curious,

Your dad was of a generation that was lucky enough to have witnessed Duquesne as a national football power. Who knows where they would be today had not WW II have forced them out of their program. Buff Donelli had the Dukes set for a number of years.

Your post made me remember one of the greatest conversations I ever had with my father-in-law. His biggest joy in life was listening to games on the radio (baseball, football, etc) He was describing Brombaugh's pass as if he had been there. His eyes looked up as if he were actually still following the ball as he described it. As a devout catholic he always enjoyed describing how Duquesne beat big bad Pitt.

I guess that is why I enjoyed putting together my blog. To imagine how a small university that was really nothing more than a collection of row houses became (according to Massey at least) the best in the nation.

People need to know that and build on that!

That is why I really want to do the "Layden" of "Local Coaching Legends" Trophy...

Subject: 2011 Commit

Author:
Curious
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Friday, February 11, 12:27:54pm

Jeremy Summers, 6' 3" 275+ lbs. OL (Junior College)

http://duquesne.scout.com/a.z?s=420&p=8&c=1&nid=5401424

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYj9oa4-o7Y

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jyWXqZeY4w

It appears that Mr. Summers may already be at Duquesne and be able to participate in the Spring practices.

Welcome to Duquesne, Mr. Summers.

GO DUKES!

Author:
Coffee
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Wednesday, January 26, 03:21:54pm

That's what I'm talking about!!!!!

Author:
Judge Jack McVay Jr
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Friday, January 28, 03:49:43pm

Curious, Thanks for the continuous update on recruits! Heard it through the grapevine that the Dukes are recruiting some kids from the state of Alabama which if nothing else, indicates a willingness to find players wherever they may reside!

[> [> Subject: Re: breadth of recruitment

Author:
Curious
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Wednesday, February 09, 11:45:11pm

Judge Jack,

This year so far we know of 2 players from Florida; 2 players from California; and 2 players from Pennsylvania.

Last year we had California, New Hampshire, North Carolina, Michigan, and Hawai'i.

It looks like a pretty wide net to me!

[> [> [> Subject: Re: breadth of recruitment

Author:
Judge Jack McVay Jr
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Thursday, February 10, 08:37:41pm

Curious, Again thanks and I love your info on recruits! I had meant to respond to your query regarding past recruiting to "old-timers" and I am B.M.(before MAAC Curious before you begin speculating haha)but have always followed the program.To me beyond reasonable doubt, the recruiting and talent level of this team has never been greater post 1974!Keep giving us updates please!And Go Dukes Sunday against Xavier in what may be the biggest basketball game since the 70s too!

Author:
Curious
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Friday, February 11, 12:27:54pm

I forgot to add the fine young man from New Jersey to the "known commit" list.

GO DUKES!

Author:
Curious
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Sunday, January 30, 03:56:12pm

Jermaine Hill, DE?, RB?

Mr. Hill is a 2010 graduate of Tustin High in Tustin, California, is currently enrolled at Duquesne and is working out with the team. I'm not sure what Mr. Hill did during the 2010 season.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-4BANAcw78

http://www.ocvarsity.com/articles/defense-17194-tustin-second.html

http://coachesaid.com/school/CATH/Football

[> Subject: 2011 Commit - earlier listed here as prospect

Author:
Curious
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Wednesday, February 02, 02:23:57am

Tyjuan Fray, DB

http://rivals.yahoo.com/highschool/football/recruiting/player-Tyjuan-Fray-81286

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLXNWACED_s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySHZijpEdKs

http://nationalunderclassmen.ning.com/profile/TyJuanWFray

http://recruiting.scout.com/a.z?s=73&p=8&c=1&nid=4806588

http://insider.espn.go.com/ncf/recruiting/player/campresults?id=103886&_slug_=tyjuan-fray&action=upsell&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fncf%2frecruiting%2fplayer%2fcampresults%3fid%3d103886%26_slug_%3dtyjuan-fray

http://combines.underarmour.com/football/athletes/6233

http://underarmour.teamzonesports.com/football/athletes/5622

http://www.gridironstuds.com/detail.php?ret=1&id=157

Welcome to Duquesne, Mr. Fray!

GO DUKES!

[> [> Subject: Re: Mr. Fray

Author:
Curious
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Wednesday, February 02, 02:30:14am

Mr. Fray chose Duquesne over scholarship offers from Massachusetts, Wagner, and FBS Eastern Michigan.

Maybe you "old timers" can tell me...

Was Duquesne even in the running for athletes like this during the MAAC days, much less winning the recruiting battle?

GO DUKES!

[> [> [> Subject: Re: Mr. Fray

Author:
Anonymous
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Tuesday, February 08, 11:17:58am

Mr. Fray brings with him a receiver from his state championship high school team, David Thomas.

Go Dukes

[> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Mr. Fray and Mr. Thomas

Author:
Curious
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Tuesday, February 08, 02:17:21pm

http://www.ocala.com/article/20110203/SPORTS/110209916/1026/SPORTS?p=1&tc=pg

"Wide receiver David Thomas and defensive back TyJuan Fray are both headed to I-AA Duquesne University in Pittsburgh..."

Author:
lucky coach
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Tuesday, February 08, 01:51:45am

summers is a beast!!!!!

[> Subject: 2011 Commit

Author:
Curious
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Tuesday, February 08, 02:36:41pm

David Thomas, WR

http://www.ocala.com/article/20110203/SPORTS/110209916/1026/SPORTS?p=1&tc=pg

... helped lead Trinity Catholic High School to a perfect 14-0 season and the school's second state title in six years.

Thomas led all county receivers in catches (61), receiving yards (1,237) and touchdown grabs with 16 during his senior season. He chose Duquesne over offers from Marshall, Valdosta State and Jacksonville.

“It feels great,” Thomas said. “I worked so hard for four years to get here and I'm ready to move on to the next step. Duquesne felt like where I needed to be. It felt like home.”

http://southflorida.scout.com/a.z?s=359&p=8&c=1&nid=4837387

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BInpsgpS6L4

http://marshall.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1117334

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/recruiting/player-David-Thomas-111866

Author:
Shaler Tom
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Tuesday, February 08, 06:19:16pm

Very Nice!

Subject: 2011 recruiting class

Author:
Shoey
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Monday, February 07, 10:44:02am

It sure has been fun reading about Wagner,Bryant,CCSU,Monmouth,Sacred Heart,RMU,Albany classes............wonder whenanybody will get around to anouncing The Dukes class????????? heck Monmouth even put out their schedule we have a payback game with thm on Oct 29 in case anyone is interested at their place. I guess if you want to know anything about The NEC and Duquesne you have to look anywhere else but www.goduquesne.com. Is it me or is that just dissapointing?

[> Subject: Re: 2011 recruiting class

Author:
Coffee
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Sunday, February 06, 03:30:06pm

Disappointing... but I guess you get used to it after a while. I've talked to some folks at the Athletic Department and they seem to be great people, but there is kind of a cloud over their heads that "nobody out there cares". No, this isn't Happy Valley, but there are folks like us out there that would like to have the information.

[> [> Subject: Re: 2011 recruiting class

Author:
Shoey
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Monday, February 07, 12:40:52am

thanks coffee.............there will never be the results we expect unless there is excellence in the athletic department!!!! It is all driven by the athletes and nothing from the office,

[> Subject: Re: 2011 recruiting class

Author:
Curious
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Monday, February 07, 10:44:02am

I don't know about this year, but in 2010 there were a number of players who did not sign until a week or two after "Signing Day" (which is, after all just the first day of the NCAA spring signing period). Last year, weather also had a hand in the delays, when Duquesne was shut down due to snow.

Even when the press release came out, there was still another scholarship player added to the list a few days afterward.

I'm getting the impression that a "late" announcement of Letter-of-Intent signings is not because the Athletic Department is being lazy, but because 1.) the coaches don't wish to release an incomplete list and 2.) we're still new at this whole scholarship thing and the coaches are ACTIVELY recruiting well past the media-frenzy of "Signing Day".

Personally, I don't care when the young men sign (or when the list is released), just as long as they sign with Duquesne! I don't wish to imply that a firm application of a cattle prod to certain members of the Athletic Department is not called for, but in this case the stimulation may be misapplied.

GO DUKES!

Subject: Joe Bernard in the news

Author:
El Duque
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Monday, January 31, 12:40:18pm

http://www.poconorecord.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20110125/SPORTS/101250320/-1/SPORTS

Subject: Great Article on Duquesne Asst. Coach Mike Silianoff

Author:
Coffee
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Sunday, January 30, 10:16:56am

Duquesne grad Robert Healy has put together a pretty neat suburban newspaper- The Baldwin Whitehall Patch with a neat article on Dukes Asst Coach Mike Silianoff. See- on-line newspaperhttp://baldwin-whitehall.patch.com/articles/mike-silianoff-a-coach-making-a-difference

Subject: Good luck ...

Author:
El Duque
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Monday, January 24, 11:01:33pm

Dukes on the big draft board: http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/playersbyteam.php?DSTeamId=193&sortorder=tsxpos&order=ASC.

[> Subject: Re: Good luck ...

Author:
Coffee
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Friday, January 21, 08:20:42am

Nice find ED. Its good to know that so many Duquesne players are being watched by national draft services and that so many are actually ranked. In case you didn't click on El Duque's link, Nathan Totino is ranked # 88 at his position, Thaimu Bangura is ranked #91, Conner Dixon at #160 and Dave Williams and Willie Milhouse are also rated but not ranked.

This is a pretty high NFL ranking for Nathan considering he weighs in only 205 pounds. The folks at Delaware made numerous comments that Conner was pro material- They shouls know since they've had some of their own there including Joe Flako.

[> [> Subject: Re: Good luck ...

Author:
El Duque
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Friday, January 21, 11:07:34am

They put Nathan at strong safety, which is pretty interesting. Could see him developing into a Jim Leonhard-type player.

As for Flacco, he is for eyebrows what Polamalu is for hair and Kiesel for beards.

[> [> Subject: Re: Good luck ...

Author:
Curious
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Friday, January 21, 02:31:36pm

I wonder if El Duque minds being referred to as "ED"?

Hmmmm.....

[> [> [> Subject: Re: Good luck ...

Author:
El Duque
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Sunday, January 23, 05:36:25pm

No sir. Proud to say, it's one nickname that doesn't fit.

[> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Good luck ...

Author:
Coffee
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Monday, January 24, 11:01:33pm

Hey- El Duque has been called worse.

Main index ] [ Archives: 1234567[8]910 ]

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a new public message:
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
* Message subject (required):

* Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Choose Message Icon: [ View Emoticons ]

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2016 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.