VoyForums

VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 1234[5]678910 ]

DUQUESNE DUKES FOOTBALL FORUM
~DUQUESNE DUKES FOOTBALL FORUM~
This forum is for discussion of Duquesne Football since other excellent Duquesne Basketball forums exist. (Links below). It is also open to all Duquesne sponsored or club sports.Duquesne sponsors: Basketball (M/W), Cross Country (M/W), Football, Soccer (M/W), Swimming (W), Tennis (M/W), Track and Field (M/W), LaCrosse (W), Crew (W), Volleyball (W). Club Sports include Ice Hockey and Men's Crew. Some posts on this Forum may be re-posted on the Duquesne Football Blog (See Duquesnesports.blogspot.com). This is a discussionforum where you are a guest. Treat others as you would like to be treated. No foul language, using another's moniker or personal attacks. Character on the field and on this forum reflects upon Duquesne. Links to this site are encouraged. Feedback is welcome. -Coffee

~OTHER DUQUESNE LINKS~

*COFFEE'S DUQUESNE FOOTBALL BLOG*
*OFFICIAL Northeast Conference Football SITE*
*The Sports Network FCS Page*
*USA Today Sagarin Division I College Football Rankings*
*Real Time RPI Division 1 College Football Rankings*
*College Football Data Warehouse*
*ESPN Radio Northeast Conference Notebook*

Subject: Awards

Author:
Duke Fan
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, January 07, 02:32:05pm

There has not been much discussion lately so I thought why not elect our own post-season award winners.

Team MVP?

Offensive MVP?

Defensive MVP?

Most Improved?

On a side note, Serge Kona has made Third Team AP All-American Team. Congrats to Serge on a great year especially in his first year at safety moving from linebacker.

[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
[> Subject: Re: Awards

Author:
Duke Nukem
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, December 17, 10:09:03am

Serge Kona Named AP All-American; 11 Dukes Named All NEC!

The program has come a long way from the "Mid-Major/Non-Scholarship status which some looked at as an unofficial Division 3 within D-1.

We have much to be grateful for, mainly a coaching staff that has personal dignity, class and competence that can recruit.

The university must start looking at its program as more than D-3 and the press, fans and even more success may follow. Create a field that is more fun to see a football game- A cozy horseshoe with a great view to focus the fan noise and a small but talented marching band that can be heard!

I am so tired of the dog and Frisbee half time show attitude. This team, staff, students, alumni and fans deserve more.

Author:
Marquis
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, December 17, 10:12:51am

How's this?

Team MVP? Sean Patterson

Offensive MVP? Larry McCoy

Defensive MVP? Serge Kohna

Most Improved? Charlie Leventry

[> [> Subject: Re: Awards

Author:
Duke from way back
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Sunday, December 18, 09:01:38am

Like your picks. Hard to leave Dixon out . His numbers were of national stature even more so than Larry or Patterson but you have to give both of them their due. Patterson may not have had off the charts passing numbers but he did two things very well: came through in the clutch, and absolutely killed teams with his legs. I don't think you could go wrong with any one of the three. I might even pick Dixon as MVP of the team and the other two as co offensive MVPs. Dixon was a great leader from what I've heard (he should be, he is 23 or 24 yrs old) Serge had a great year but I think he was the symbolic figurehead of the #1 nationally pass defense. I did not think he was heads and shoulder above Jared Williams or Khiry Carter of Aaron F but yes I would probably go with him as Def MVP. Charlie for sure.

[> [> [> Subject: Re: Awards

Author:
Coffee
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Sunday, December 18, 05:49:47pm

You folks are getting me a good head start for the Coffee Cup Awards. I still need a past player and current and past non-player to complete the awards. Also need a Fan of the Year. I agree about not leaving Dixon out and may split the MVP or Offensive Winner.

Any other nominations?

[> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Awards

Author:
Duke from way back
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Monday, December 19, 09:25:30am

Rosoto (sp?() for non player. He's been there through thick and thin and has stewarded the rise of the program with his hand in almost every decision. How about some recognition for Judge Jack McVay who played back in the day and sits in the press box every game. He is also a participant on this board. I still like either Dixon or McCoy for OMVP. Rarely , do you see numbers like that and it should be rewarded. Wagner, Bryant and SH were all close games and Dixon had multiple TD's to win those games and yes it took Patterson to get him the ball but Dixon found ways to get to the endzone. Larry flat out controlled the games and the one he did not , we lost. Honestly, you can't go wrong with any of the three.

[> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Awards

Author:
Duke from way back
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Monday, December 19, 09:26:55am

correction, meant team MVP

Author:
Judge Jack McVay Jr
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Sunday, January 01, 03:26:40pm

Duke From Way Back, I want to thank you for suggesting that I be recognized on this blog for the past player nomination as I am indeed honored!This forum is the best source of collective information and entertainment related to Dukes football and I want to again thank Coffee and all participants be they regular or casual for their informative,thought-provoking and entertaining contributions!We all need to continue to work on raising awareness of the high caliber of football being played on the Bluff and specifically,Coffee's original idea of a City Game concept with RMU and a corresponding Coaches Legend Trophy should continue to be pursued, in my humble opinion! Happy New Year to all! Jack PS My vote goes to Coach Rosato for non player and Terry Russell for former player!

[> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Awards

Author:
Duke from way back
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Tuesday, January 03, 09:54:59am

To Judge Jack, don't you find yourself hoping against all hope that this past season sets into motion something big for the program. Something that lasts. More big time recruits, more championship runs, who knows a championship and bowl game down the road. Just imagine if another player landed in the NFL, its effect on recruiting. Whether it be this year or Larry or even Dorian Bell or Serge next year, it could happen. It would be great for you former players and wonderful for the best kept secret in the USA, DU. As for the awards, great job, Coffee. I do agree with you and Shoey that depth was an issue at QB ..it's a great discussion and it's difficulty is in the wealth of athleticism and character. Loved your analysis of Charlie..what a story.

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Awards

Author:
Judge Jack McVay Jr
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, January 07, 02:32:05pm

Duke From Way Back, Yes! Exactly! I envision this program making the next leap and playing schools at the BCS level and competing successfully! There always have been, there are and there will continue to be those that think this is "pipedream" thinking and unattainable! I see other schools accomplishing much and with less to work with and believe that this day will come and that it is foreseeably imminent! Thanks again, Jack

Author:
Shoey
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Monday, December 19, 01:37:18am

Team MVP- Sean Patterson
Co-Offensive MVP- Connor Dixon Larry McCoy
Defensive MVP- Serge Kona
Most Improved- Mike Passodelis

It is great when you have so many players to pick from........we are getting there fast!!!!! Playoffs 2012!!

[> [> Subject: Re: Awards

Author:
Shaler Tom
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Wednesday, December 21, 06:54:02pm

Team MVP: Dixon
Offensive MVP: McCoy
Defensive MVP: Kona
Most Improved: Patterson
Non Player: Judge Jack

I think that Dixon was the X factor this year that opponents had to account for...but couldn't. He spread the field which opened the ground game for Larry and was the go to guy for Sean in the red zone. Connor is going to get a chance at the next level as will Larry and Serge next year. Wouldn't it be something if three or four Dukes were playing on Sundays???

Author:
412 Express
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Monday, December 26, 10:47:24pm

I think you all are gravely overlooking the O-Line with all these awards. Although, thats what offensive lineman are known for, not being known!

Author:
Duke from way back
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Tuesday, December 27, 10:14:31am

412 you are exactly correct. Offensive linemen are always overlooked and especially this exemplary group of young men. Thomas, Downey, Summer, Lahue, Dunn and Warning....which one did I miss? What a tremedous year!!!My hats off to all of you for protecting all the skill (??!! I'll bet they can't do what you can do) players and giving them the ability to do what they do best. Your efforts made this offense one of the most prolific in school history in it's toughest conference yet.

Author:
412 Express
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Tuesday, December 27, 01:31:40pm

Unfortunately I wasn't a part of this year's unit, very flattered you thought so! I'm still close with a few guys on the team and try to follow them. I just hope the coaches commended them for their efforts because some recognition is deserved, even though only 1 earned post season honors which baffles me.

Author:
Shaler Tom
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Tuesday, December 27, 08:08:39pm

So true about the O-Line. Without the muscle up front, Connor doesn't get open, Sean has to run and the holes aren't there for Larry. Nice Post!!!

Author:
Judge Jack McVay Jr
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Sunday, January 01, 03:32:15pm

Shaler Tom, Just wanted to say thanks and that I always appreciate reading your insights and your scoops! I still wonder if Always A Duke isn't CIA and maybe you are FBI? haha Happy New Year to you and your family! Jack

Subject: 2011 Non-Player of the Year

Author:
Coffee
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Friday, January 06, 03:02:36pm

With all due consideration to those Forum participants who suggested that Joe Rosatto be recognized as the non-player for 2011, I can’t put off timely recognition of Coach Jerry Schmidt for the job he has done over the past two years in turning Duquesne back into a winning program. From what I have heard in the rumor-mill, the administration from two years ago was not content with losing records. Evidently, neither was the coach.

Coach Schmidt has overcome the scholarship head start that the rest of the NEC had and has mastered the art of coaching and recruiting a higher level of athlete. He has done so with perhaps one of the smallest football fields on the FCS, Division 2, Division 3 or the high school level. He has done so in a town where the Steelers, Pirates, Penguins and Pitt get covered and Duquesne is an afterthought.

Most importantly, he has done so in an open, honest and ethically driven program in a town where Todd Graham had just finished running off to Arizona with his money and selective, lip service morality. Coach Schmidt coaches football. His record and statistics for this year’s team speak for themselves. He also makes the university proud that nice guys don’t have to finish last.

Perhaps we'll even get around to recognizing one of the excellent staff Coach Schmidt heads up like Joe Rosatto next year.

Congratulations and thanks to the 2011 Duquesne “Non-Player” of the Year.

See the Blog (link above) for the rest of the article.

[> Subject: Re: 2011 Non-Player of the Year

Author:
Judge Jack McVay Jr
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, January 07, 02:16:55pm

Coffee, Outstanding selection in naming Coach Schmitt and similarly all other picks,except Fan of the Year,were great selections! Seriously, I am honored and undeserving and also want to emphasize that I loved the pick for past player of the year too! Thanks again, Jack

Subject: Willie Millhouse

Author:
Duke from way back
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Thursday, January 05, 07:08:01am

Did anyone see Willie Millhouse play for West Virginia last night? He was playing wide receiver and special teams and looked great. For those of you who don't remember, he was a two year starter for the Dukes at DB but was dismised from the team for disputed disciplinary reasons. If anyone thinks these kids are only division 1AA athletes then they do not know what they are saying. Willie leaves the team and the remaining crew steps up and becomes the number 1 def backfield in the nation. Nice job,gentlemen.

Subject: 2011 Past Player

Author:
Coffee
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Wednesday, January 04, 06:18:31pm

I'll tell you the winner- Dan Barr. A Duquesne Beer at the Red Ring goes to the first on the Football Forum to tell me who Dan was, what year he played and why he'd be awarded the 2011 Coffee Mug for Past Player.

[> Subject: Re: 2011 Past Player

Author:
CoachL
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Wednesday, January 04, 11:49:06am

Dan Barr: Player-Coach and Captain of Duquesne's (Holy Ghost College) first football team in 1893.

[> [> Subject: TYPO!!

Author:
CoachL
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Wednesday, January 04, 11:55:37am

TYPO!

The year was 1891, not 1893.

[> [> [> Subject: Re: TYPO!!

Author:
CoachL
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Wednesday, January 04, 11:57:07am

And, of course, it was the College of the Holy Ghost.

(Tough morning!)

;-)

[> [> [> [> Subject: Re: TYPO!!

Author:
Coffee
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Wednesday, January 04, 12:30:01pm

Congrats Coach L, You win the bottle of Duquesne Beer! Let me know when you are going to a game next year and I'll meet you at the Red Ring to pay up. Maybe we can have a Football Forum Day at the Game.

I never found their record for that first year but we don't seem to appreciate how much tradition we have playing football here on the Bluff. I'd say helping to form, coach and captain Duquesne's first team deserves some recognition.

[> [> [> [> [> Subject: Barr

Author:
CoachL
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Wednesday, January 04, 06:18:31pm

I agree. Barr is a very worthy choice.

It will be difficult for me to get to any games in person this coming season. My new home here on the Central Coast of California is a bit far from The Bluff!

But please, get the Forum folks together and have a round in my name. When I get back Pittsburgh way, a round or two will be on me!

(It's 72 degrees here today, and it was 82 degrees when I was driving back up here through Los Angeles earlier today. AND I get to watch another gorgeous sunset over the Pacific Ocean from my living room this evening.)

Subject: Duale Coming Back?

Author:
Duke Fan
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Monday, January 02, 07:33:58pm

I've heard some rumors that Kicker Eric Duale was trying to come back to Duquesne. I was just wondering if anyone else has heard news about this. If Eric is trying to come back then boy do the coaches have a decision to make now with Duale and Leventry.

[> Subject: Re: Duale Coming Back?

Author:
Coffee
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Monday, January 02, 04:52:16pm

Nice "problem" to have but Charlie's earned the job if the coaching staff and he wants both to do P and K duties. Charlie was just named Most Improved on the Blog.

I wouldn't give up a scholarship but if he wants to come back it couldn't hurt. Eric had a good year two years ago but so did Charlie last year.

[> [> Subject: Re: Duale Coming Back?

Author:
Shaler Tom
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Monday, January 02, 07:33:58pm

I agree Coffee. Eric put us in a real bind when he left and Charlie has certainly earned the job. Only a certain number of scholies to go around.

Subject: Awards Voting Help

Author:
Coffee
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Sunday, January 01, 01:33:41pm

I was going to put out the "Coffee Cup" Awardsthis week as I have done in the past but I need your help with Offensive Player of the year. Please go to the blog and cast your vote. Multi-votes are permited (more than one person) but you can only vote once (unless you own more than one computer).

[> Subject: Re: Awards Voting Help

Author:
Duke from way back
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Friday, December 30, 08:16:54am

Coffee..I'm sorry I did not cast a vote. If I cast for Patterson he may be the team MVP and you would not have a vote for the other two. If not, then he may not be team MVP and then he would have not vote for either so here are my picks......the entire defensive backfield for team MVP. Dixon/Patterson/McCoy, three headed monster, for OMVP, Kona and Leventry. Sorry, this was a bit of a coward pick. I could live with Patterson as most improved with the other two as OMVP. Happy New Year and God Bless

[> [> Subject: Re: Awards Voting Help

Author:
Coffee
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Friday, December 30, 03:55:57pm

Thanks for the input here. Paterson, Dixon, McCoy, Leventry, Kohna, Williams, the O-Line, the linebacking corps, Mike P. and the Defensive line is VASTLY improved. ALL had great years. This is a great problem to have when so many have made great contributions. We even have had a ton of those, like you, deserving of fan of the year!

[> [> Subject: Re: Awards Voting Help

Author:
Duke from way back
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Sunday, January 01, 01:33:41pm

I must respecfully disagree with my knowledgable and spirited board mate, Shoey. Any number of players who if they had been removed from the lineup would have meant a different outcome. Too many close games. We only blew out 3 opponents. It makes you appreciate how healthy this team stayed overall. Not to take anything away from Sean whose 4thq heroics, great legs and clutch passing can not be overlooked. Could certainly live with Sean as MVp. I could, however, name probably a half dozen players this team could not have afforded to lose. Happy New Year to all!!!

[> Subject: Re: Awards Voting Help

Author:
Shoey
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Friday, December 30, 06:59:48pm

Man tough voting this year Coffee, very tough but I think the ONE player we could not afford to lose was Patterson so he is my pick for MVP. Great problems to have. I see great things for 2012 and thanks to the Seniors for a great 2011.

Subject: 2011 Dukes Rated #17 Duquesne All Time Team

Author:
Coffee
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Wednesday, December 28, 05:42:41pm

I know that the Blog Poll overwhelmingly (73%) selected the 2011 edition of the Dukes to be ranked in the top 5 of all time Duquesne Teams going back to the first in 1882. However, out of respect for historical teams which included undefeated and nationally ranked Division I teams, I can’t realistically agree. Had they been able to hold on at Bucknell, this year’s team may have moved into the Top 15 with similar 1 loss teams and conference champions perhaps but the Top 10 Duquesne teams were all nationally ranked at their level of play. It’s always difficult to compare teams from different eras and levels of competition, but relative to expectations, I’d place this as Jerry Schmidt’s best place at #17.

See Full Ranking at the Blog at http://duquesnesports.blogspot.com/

Subject: A Merry and Blessed Christmas and Happy New Year to the Duquesne Family

Author:
Coffee
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Monday, December 26, 10:46:08am

Here's to a New Year that Holds great victories, good athletes who are good students and young men, good board discussion and friendship, and of course- an NEC Championship complete with the NEC's first NCAA Playoff win!

[> Subject: Re: A Merry and Blessed Christmas and Happy New Year to the Duquesne Family

Author:
Coffee
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Sunday, December 25, 12:34:44pm

Christmas... The day humanity celebrates God's choice to raise us up to be more than we were. The day he determined to share his divine nature and in turn share with us our own loneliness, love, toil, temptations and joy.

I wish all my family and friends the joy of knowing that from that day to this, our Lord will choose to be in your lives and will be there to share it all with you.

Merry Christmas!

[> [> Subject: Re: A Merry and Blessed Christmas and Happy New Year to the Duquesne Family

Author:
Shaler Tom
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Monday, December 26, 10:46:08am

A Merry Christmas to all Duquesne Fans!!!

Subject: Connor Dixon Highlight Video

Author:
Shaler Tom
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Monday, December 26, 10:39:35am

The real high octane offense in Pittsburgh

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWwj31rsXUg

[> Subject: Re: Connor Dixon Highlight Video

Author:
Marquis
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Monday, December 26, 03:42:04pm

If Conner Dixon doesn't get drafted its only because nobody saw his highlight film. They need to put some ov the delaware game in there too.

Subject: Akron Needs a New Coach

Author:
Coffee
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Wednesday, December 14, 09:40:02pm

As AAD reports, the Dukes may be playing Akron in the near future as the first BCS opponent since the 50's. Hope the new coach goes for the game- See http://www.gozips.com/sports/fball/2011-12/releases/201111262m6wpf . Greg Gatuso would be a great fit for the Zips.

[> Subject: Re: Akron Needs a New Coach

Author:
Marquis
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Thursday, December 15, 03:51:57pm

I'd like to see Greg get more consideration for the job at Pitt. He'd know some of the kids and did well at Md.

Subject: Pitt goes bowling with a 6-6 Record

Author:
Duke Nukem
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Wednesday, December 14, 06:49:11pm

There is something definitely wrong with a system that rewards a .500 Pitt squad with a bowl game while the Dukes don't get close at their level. NCAA really should go to at least a 24 team field or more. Albany was competitive with a team that was very competitive with #1 Sam Houston. 32 Teams seeded like the NCAA Basketball for both FCS and BCS makes sense.

[> Subject: Re: Pitt goes bowling with a 6-6 Record

Author:
Marquis
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Sunday, December 04, 09:31:31pm

32 Teams with all playing would take the same number of weeks currently.

[> [> Subject: Re: Pitt goes bowling with a 6-6 Record

Author:
Coffee
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Wednesday, December 14, 06:49:11pm

Todd Graham takes a "High Octane" plane ride to Arizona State. Goes to show how lucky the Dukes are to have a man of substance like Jerry Schmidt!

Subject: Stony Brook Narrowly loses to #1 Sam Houston State

Author:
Coffee
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Sunday, December 04, 03:00:09pm

One good sign for the Dukes and the NEC. Albany probably could have/should have beat Stony Brook last week. Stony Brook narrowly lost to the #1 Team in the FCS 34-27.

[> Subject: Re: Stony Brook Narrowly loses to #1 Sam Houston State

Author:
Marquis
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Sunday, December 04, 09:22:56am

I wonder what kind of crowd would show up at Heinz Field for this?

[> [> Subject: Re: Stony Brook Narrowly loses to #1 Sam Houston State

Author:
Duke from way back
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Sunday, December 04, 11:18:01am

I dont know what kind of crowd but I know we wouldn't have much press. Since the day after the Robert Morris game..nothing. We had more NEC picks than any other school in the NEC and the defensive player of the year..nothing. We finished with the #1 pass defense..nothing. Our wide out was # 3 in TD's in all of FCS and #4 or 5 in all of college football....nothing. Last year, RMU got it's due but for some reason we just are not considered newsworthy. Sorry for venting. A great year despite the apathy by the media (this is not meant for Phil Axelrod who I think tried).

[> [> [> Subject: Coverage

Author:
Shoey
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Sunday, December 04, 03:00:09pm

On the radio it says the dukes are covered by John Harris........he is the laziest writer in Pittsburgh.

Subject: GO DUKES- SMASH PITT!

Author:
Coffee
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, December 03, 10:30:44am

I know its the football forum, but I will be a few years before the Dukes put Pitt on the football schedule. At least they are starting to schedule common opponants now which nobody would have believed a few years ago...

[> Subject: Re: GO DUKES- SMASH PITT!

Author:
shoey
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Wednesday, November 30, 05:04:13pm

Coffee- I think you are right we have more than a few players that would start on Pitts team now.....depth would be the problem. But man for man we are ahead in some positions now.

[> [> Subject: Re: GO DUKES- SMASH PITT!

Author:
Marquis
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Wednesday, November 30, 05:51:32pm

Position by position game- I go first:

Sunsari or Patterson? Patterson. Sunsari has the better arm but Sean runs better and makes better decisions.

Next??

[> [> [> Subject: Re: GO DUKES- SMASH PITT!

Author:
Duke from way back
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Thursday, December 01, 07:34:09am

McCoy...not quite Ray Graham but I like Larry over Zack Brown. Not to take anything away from Brown, I just think Larry has it all..a little more power, maneuverability etc. We have to keep in mind that we see these guys at Pitt play at a higher level. They certainly would look different playing against Sacred Heart than Iowa. Still, I just like what Larry brings to the table.

[> [> [> [> Subject: Re: GO DUKES- SMASH PITT!

Author:
shoey
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Thursday, December 01, 12:17:42pm

Agree on Patterson just a better athlete overall. Pitt wins the Big east with him at QB.
Agree on McCoy so solid and consistent.....never fumbles which dosent get mentioned.
Third- Dont know Pitts linebackers too well but I will take Bell and Dozie without even knowing.
Just shows how far the Dukes have come in a short time.

[> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: GO DUKES- SMASH PITT!

Author:
Duke from way back
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Thursday, December 01, 12:48:33pm

I guess we could include Kona and Dunn and Dixon as guys who could have potentially started for Pitt.

[> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: GO DUKES- SMASH PITT!

Author:
Shoey
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Thursday, December 01, 01:57:37pm

No question all of those guys mentioned would start at Pitt.

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: GO DUKES- SMASH PITT!

Author:
Judge Jack McVay Jr
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Thursday, December 01, 08:33:40pm

Interesting query and I essentially agree with Shoey but definitely believe alot of these kids could play or start for Pitt! The most obvious player to fit this bill is Conor Dixon, in my humble opinion! Thanks all for interesting considerations, Jack

[> [> [> [> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: GO DUKES- SMASH PITT!

Author:
Coffee
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Thursday, December 01, 10:43:04pm

Agreed- Patterson, Dixon, Most of the linebackers, DB's, maybe Leventry too. This is a great reflection on the coaching staff's ability to recruit and develop talent at a "lower" level. Now that the Dukes will be playing a better schedule,this talent will be further honed.

Pitt would probably not consider playing the Dukes unless we gave enough scholarships to contribute to their bowl qualifications. I don't remember how many we need to give.

[> Subject: Re: GO DUKES- SMASH PITT!

Author:
Duke Nukem
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, December 03, 10:30:44am

Accordinding to ComputerRatings.Com at http://www.compughterratings.com/CFB/matchups Pitt would win 39-7 at a neutral site. Sagarin has them favored by about 24 at a neutral site. Heinz is technically Pitt's home field but the Dukes wouldn't be "traveling". I'd like to see a match up to start the season since Pitt usually schedules an FCS game at the beginning of the year.

Subject: I have my own political party now!

Author:
Coffee
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Friday, December 02, 03:24:18pm

I can't claim that I started or sponsored this but I like it- See: http://www.coffeepartypa.org/contact-us/

Subject: Happy and Blessed Thanksgiving to all!!

Author:
Coffee
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Tuesday, November 29, 09:45:46pm

Happiness is remembering that although we always find time to complain and even want more, we all have much to be thankful for.

[> Subject: Re: Happy and Blessed Thanksgiving to all!!

Author:
Duke from way back
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, November 26, 09:55:54am

Coffee ..thank you and the same to you and your family for the whole holiday season. Thank you for two other things. Thank you for being one of the select, committed persons who serves our country in whatever capacity they can. Also, thank you for your efforts in keeping this great forum going (i'ts great to have a place to vent) as well as your efforts to unite the conference on one board.

[> [> Subject: Re: Happy and Blessed Thanksgiving to all!!

Author:
Coffee
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, November 26, 06:43:38pm

To my family and friends,
I'm here in Florida which may sound great at first. But I'm here to close down my Mom's home and bring her back to Pittsburgh with me. As I go through the closets of old pictures and things that hold so many memories, I'm overwhelmed at things like my Dad's watch that I must have seen thousands of times. As I'm making Thanksgiving dinner for my mom, sister and I, even the pots hold memories of so many great times.
The message it gives to me and now, me to you, is to appreciate and give thanks for each day you have with your family and those you love. Treat them with the love that you would the most precious things in your world... for they are.

[> [> [> Subject: Re: Happy and Blessed Thanksgiving to all!!

Author:
Duke from way back
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Tuesday, November 29, 07:56:24am

God Bless, Coffee. I went through the same thing a few years ago. It's tough. You're so right about appreciating what we have WHEN we have it not after it's long gone.

[> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Happy and Blessed Thanksgiving to all!!

Author:
Judge Jack McVay Jr
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Tuesday, November 29, 09:45:46pm

Coffee, Thanks so much for all that you do and for all the participants on this site!Maks for a fun seeason and look forward toOld Dominion!

Subject: Albany

Author:
dukesfan
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Sunday, November 27, 01:11:01am

I read on the Albany message board that their commitment to the NEC football is finished now. This was the last season they are committed to the NEC on a five year contract. They are a football only member like DU.

There is talk of Albany and Stoney Brook moving to CAA and Albany has plans for a new football stadium in the works. But nothing is in place in regards to conference movement just yet. The stadium plans are a go.

That would be a blow to the NEC but it would help take away a major obstacle out of DU's way. Still keeping Albany in the NEC and beating them would be the best option.

[> Subject: Re: Albany

Author:
Always a Duke
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, November 26, 02:48:27pm

Up-Date on FCS Playoffs:

NEC's Albany blocks Stoney Brook's punt in 2nd Q and goes up 14-0 with 14:47 to go in the half.

[> [> Subject: Re: Albany

Author:
Always a Duke
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, November 26, 03:38:55pm

FCS Playoff Update:

At the half: Albany 21, Stoney Brook 10.

(Dukes' next season's opening opponent is ODU.)
With 7:49 to go in 3rd Q: Old Dominion 28, Norfolk State 7.

[> [> [> Subject: Re: Albany

Author:
Always a Duke
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, November 26, 05:31:04pm

BONEHEAD PLAY BY ALBANY At Game's End

Albany pulls one of the stupidest plays I've seen in quite some time (on ESPN3) with the ball on Stoney Brook's 2 yd. line, second down (I believe) and goal, and less than a minute in the game, trailing 31-28. Instead of running the ball as they had been somewhat successful in their last drive, the Albany QB throws deep in the end zone to a receiver who was very well covered rather than throwing the ball clearly out of bounds. The Stoney Brook defender breaks up the pass and does a masterful job of of catching the ball with his feet within inches of the the end zone back line before he fell out of bounds. Stoney Brook was rightly awarded the interception and then ran out the clock with a 3 point win. What an ill-conceived and/or poorly executed play to end the game!

I'm not sure the Dukes would have beaten Stoney Brook had they been the NEC representative in the FCS playoffs, but I don't think they would have let the game slip threw their fingers as did Albany.

[> [> [> [> Subject: Re: Albany

Author:
Marquis
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Sunday, November 27, 01:11:01am

Albany winning would have been a big step. Too bad

Subject: ALL CONFERENCE

Author:
Anonymous
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Wednesday, November 23, 05:08:37pm

All conference awards are out:

FIRST TEAM:
Larry McCoy
Connor Dixon
Ron Dunn
Serge Kona
Aaron Fitzpatrick
Jared Williams

SECOND TEAM:
Alex Inda
Mike Passodelis
Chris Oliver
Charlie Leventry

NEC Defensive Player of the Year: Serge Kona

Congrats! Great Season

[> Subject: Re: ALL CONFERENCE

Author:
CoachL
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Wednesday, November 23, 04:42:55pm

Ah, you're obviously a well-connected source "Anonymous". As of 4:30 pm EST today there is still no release regarding the All-Conference teams posted on the NEC site.

I thrilled to see that the #1 Pass Defense in Division I FCS gets the well-deserved recognition they are due for the outstanding job they did this season!

However...

Patterson?... Patterson?...Patterson?...

Seriously?

Anyway, those are my initial thoughts, along with...

CONGRATULATIONS GENTLEMEN!

[> [> Subject: Re: ALL CONFERENCE

Author:
anonymous
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Wednesday, November 23, 04:47:34pm

I forgot one Patterson is second team my apologies. It's on the NEC overtime blog through the Northeast conference website

[> [> [> Subject: Re: ALL CONFERENCE

Author:
Duke from way back
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Wednesday, November 23, 05:05:44pm

Congratulations to everyone..Serge finally gets the recognition, A Fitz and J Williams played with much intensity but where oh where is Khiry Carter? I guess you cant have everyone but he played GREAT this year. We think the world of you, Khiry!! Another great year in my opinion was Jamal Thomas but again not everyone makes it. Without those two guys and many others this team would not have had the season it had and the defense would not have finished so strong.

[> [> [> Subject: Re: ALL CONFERENCE

Author:
CoachL
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Wednesday, November 23, 05:08:37pm

Ahhhhhhh..... MUCH better! Thank you, Anonymous.

(I had never read the NEC "Overtime Blog" before.)

Subject: NCAA Bracket

Author:
Coffee
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Wednesday, November 23, 02:31:03pm

Albany draws a very winnable game...

2011 NCAA DIVISION I FOOTBALL CHAMPIONSHIP

(Campus sites until the final)

(All times ET)
FIRST ROUND

Saturday, Nov. 26

Albany (8-3) at Stony Brook (8-3), ESPN3

Central Arkansas (8-3) at Tennessee Tech (7-3), ESPN3

Norfolk State (9-2) at Old Dominion (9-2), ESPN3

James Madison (7-4) at Eastern Kentucky (7-4), ESPNU and ESPN3
SECOND ROUND

Saturday, Dec. 3

Albany-Stony Brook winner at No. 1 Sam Houston State (11-0), ESPN3

New Hampshire (8-3) at Montana State (9-2), ESPN3

Wofford (8-3) at No. 5 Northern Iowa (9-2), ESPN3

Central Arkansas-Tennessee Tech winner at No. 4 Montana (9-2), ESPN3

Norfolk State-Old Dominion winner at No. 3 Georgia Southern (9-2), ESPN3

Maine (8-3) at Appalachian State (8-3), ESPN3

Lehigh (10-1) at Towson (9-2), ESPN3

James Madison-Eastern Kentucky winner at No. 2 North Dakota State (10-1), ESPN3
QUARTERFINALS

Friday, Dec. 9

One quarterfinal at 8 p.m., ESPN2 and ESPN3

Saturday, Dec. 10

One quarterfinal at 2:30 p.m., ESPN and ESPN3

Two quarterfinals, TBA (ESPN3)
SEMIFINALS

Friday, Dec. 16

Semifinal, 8 p.m. (ESPN2, ESPN3)

Saturday, Dec. 17

Semifinal, 2:30 p.m. (ESPNU, ESPN3)
NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP

Pizza Hut Park in Frisco, Texas

1 p.m. (ESPN2, ESPN3)

[> Subject: Re: NCAA Bracket

Author:
bob
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Sunday, November 20, 01:55:02pm

Too bad we aren't FBS where any team with a winning record goes bowling. The FCS needs to expand to at least 24 teams.

[> [> Subject: Re: NCAA Bracket

Author:
Shaler Tom
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Sunday, November 20, 09:08:11pm

I think perhaps the Bucknell game came back to haunt us. At 10-1 Duquesne may just have received at at-large bid. If we played Bucknell now, it wouldn't even be close.

[> [> [> Subject: Re: NCAA Bracket

Author:
Coffee
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Sunday, November 20, 09:24:58pm

I was thinking the exact same thing. Starting the season with a loss put us out of the minds of the polls. There is only one undefeated team in the Coach's Poll. 10-1 may have done it.

Author:
Always a Duke
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Sunday, November 20, 10:16:41pm

The one-point loss to Bucknell in the season's opener was very disappointing and no doubt did downgrade the Dukes' overall RPI. However, I note that the latest Sagarin rating has Duquesne, 9-2, at #177 and Bucknell, 6-5, at #180.

Perhaps a more significant factor in the Dukes'(with a 9-2 record) not being given any consideration for an at-large bid for the FCS playoffs was the very low RPI of the Northeast Conference throughout the entire season. The latest RealTimeRPI.com ranked the NEC at 26th place out of all of the 27 FBS and FCS conferences. Sagarin placed the NEC as the 25th of all 27 conferences. I note that the NEC's cumulative non-conference record was 18-28 (39%) according to RealTimeRPI.com.

The unfortunate result was that the Dukes' conference wins just didn't register very high on the strength of schedule factor compared to the conferences whose members were included in the at-large selections: CAA (4 teams); Southern Conference (2 teams); Big Sky, Missouri Valley, Ohio Valley, Southern, and Southland Conferences (one team each).

Not only must Duquesne improve its schedule by playing at least one team from the highly regarded FCS conferences, such as it will do next season by playing Old Dominion from the CAA, the entire NEC must do the same and also win a higher percentage of the non-conference games than they did this season.

In the final regular season TSN poll released today, both Albany and Duquesne moved up among the teams listed as "others receiving votes." Albany was ranked #32 and the Dukes were ranked #33 in a tie with South Dakota.
Click here for TSN Poll.

[> [> [> [> Subject: Re: NCAA Bracket

Author:
Coffee
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Monday, November 21, 04:35:56pm

The RPI still doesn't include Bryant in its list of NEC schools. Bryant's RPI is third behind Albany and Duquesne and would boost the conference's score a bit.

[> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: NCAA Bracket

Author:
Always a Duke
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Monday, November 21, 08:13:23pm

You are right about RealTime.RRI.com's not listing Bryant as a member of the NEC. However, Sagarin does include Bryant as a member of the NEC, thus accounting for a one position improvement in its ranking of the NEC over that of RealTimeRPI.com.

Bryant is in its last transition year to full-fledged membership in the NEC per NCAA rules. Its games count in the records of all NEC members as conference games, but Bryant was prohibited from winning the championship regardless of its conference record. (I note that the NEC website includes Bryant as a conference member in the football standings.)

Perhaps another contributing factor in the Dukes' being over-looked as a serious candidate for an at-large bid in the FCS playoffs was having a very weak Valpo (1-10) on its schedule.

Regarding RealTime.RPI.com, it has listed the Dukes' conference record as 0-0 for the last two years. Attention to detail just may not be that site's strong suit.

Author:
kevin
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Wednesday, November 23, 02:31:03pm

bucknell improved a lot down the stretch. it would still be a close game.

[> [> Subject: Re: NCAA Bracket

Author:
Always a Duke
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Monday, November 21, 08:36:14pm

I resurrected a post I made in July regarding the possible expansion of the play-off field to 24 teams without extending the length of the play-offs.

The Southland Conference Commissioner, Tom Burnett, has proposed the expansion of the field of teams participating in the FCS playoffs from the current 20 teams to 22 or 24. The Southland Conference is a co-sponsor of the FCS Championship game which was played for the first time at Pizza Hut Park in Frisco Park, TX, on Jan. 7, 2011. The championship games for the 2011 and 2012 seasons will be held at this facility in Jan. 2012 and Jan. 2013, respectively.

During the last football season there were 125 FCS teams of which the 20 playoff teams represented only 16% of all FCS teams. Expanding to 24 teams would increase the level of playoff participation to 19.2 %. This is pale in comparison to the over 50% of the FBC teams who play in a multitude of bowl games.

The current 20-team format has only 8 teams actually playing in the first round and grants 12 teams byes for that round. The expanded format could have 16 teams playing in the first round and giving only 8 teams byes. The expanded format still would result in 16 teams playing in the second round as is currently the case so there would be no need for an additional week to be added to the playoff schedule to accommodate the additional teams. Note that many FCS coaches would like the field expanded as well.

Commissioner Burnett also had some interesting comments about the NCAA's raising of the thresholds for teams' switching from the FCS to the FBS which could provide more stability to the FCS. (Villanova comes to mind.) Here's a link to Commissioner Burnett's interview.

Subject: CFPA weekly awards Congrats Dixon and Patterson

Author:
Shoey
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Wednesday, November 23, 09:51:28am

Both Connor Dixon and Sean Patterson were awarded honorable mention in the CFPA awards this week!!!! Congrats on their performance.......note CCSU Tolbert not mentioned.......guess it was time for CCSU to win an award. CFPA got it right though!!!

Subject: CONGRATULATIONS!!!

Author:
CoachL
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Wednesday, November 23, 03:32:47am

Congratulations to the entire 2011 Duquesne Dukes football team and staff on their terrific, NEC Co-Championship 9-2 season!

Great job, men!!

GO DUKES!!!

[> Subject: Re: CONGRATULATIONS!!!

Author:
Coffee
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, November 19, 05:43:47pm

I just got home from the game and a stop on the way home at the Red Ring. Good to see Always a Duke there! Too bad Albany didn't cooperate.

It was a great game, good crowd and a fantastic season. Conner Dixon should be drafted after the show he put on this season or I just don't know football. I have no idea how he was able to break away for those runs after a catch.

[> [> Subject: Re: CONGRATULATIONS!!!

Author:
Shaler Tom
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, November 19, 06:43:48pm

No doubt about it Coffee. This kid can definitely make it at the next level given the right circumstances. I'm told there were some Steeler reps at the game specifically looking at him. He made it worth their while.

[> [> [> Subject: Re: CONGRATULATIONS!!!

Author:
Duke Nukem
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, November 19, 07:56:50pm

Great day for Duquesne on the field and on the court. The Dukes earn a share of a Conference title by smashing the Bobbies 45-10 in the afternoon and then down a feisty Akron team in the evening 81-76.

[> [> [> [> Subject: Re: CONGRATULATIONS!!!

Author:
Marquis
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, November 19, 10:26:55pm

I read some rumors that the Dukes may be scheduling Akron, a BCS team in football soon... any confirmation?

Author:
Fr. Straub
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Sunday, November 20, 09:17:38am

This was a GREAT year for Duquesne Football. I was at the game and the stands were full even though RMU didn't bring as many fans across the way since they had an off year.

If the would do just a few things differently, more people would come back. The University is getting the right church but wrong pew on some things. I respectfully suggest-

1. Have the announcer show some emotion

2. Get a bigger band or else put a microphone on them. I moved from one side of the stands to the other just to be able to hear them. They are great musicians but not inspiring to those who can't hear them.

3. Build the stands a bit higher. The crowd feeds on itself. At Rooney, the team hears individuals not a crowd. I was actually embarrassed if I cheered too loudly.

I was running a bit late since it was a Noon start and couldn't find the Kegs and Eggs Tailgate (I was looking on the top floor of the garage I parked in not the other one). There was actually a few tailgaters there too. I suggest a more central place- perhaps Bluff Street? I saw the tents when I got to the field but by then it was too late. How did it go?

GO DUKES! From your small and hopefully growing supporters

[> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: CONGRATULATIONS!!!

Author:
Duke of Earl
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Sunday, November 20, 01:25:07pm

This team is the best product to follow in a sports rich city. They are well coached, well motivated, have a high octane offense, a shut down defense, well stocked in the talent positions and on the line.

They aren't full of themselves with high salaries and offer a group of kids like Conner Dixon and Charlie Leventry that you love to cheer for.

I agree with Fr. Straub though- They need to stack on a few more rows. I'm a loud fan but every time I get excited, people turn to look at the crazy guy!

GO DUKES!!!

[> [> [> Subject: Re: CONGRATULATIONS!!!

Author:
Shoey
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Tuesday, November 22, 10:11:04am

TS- Gonna really miss that Patterson to Dixon combo what a connection they had. Congrats to the Dukes!!!!! ...........on a little downer I find it hard to believe that Connor wasnt NEC player of the week or Patterson for that matter.

Author:
Duke Nukem
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Tuesday, November 22, 07:13:10pm

The Dukes got back into the Coach's Poll with 2 votes in the season ending poll. TSN's Poll has them quite a bit higher.

[> [> [> [> [> Subject: Re: CONGRATULATIONS!!!

Author:
Always a Duke
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Wednesday, November 23, 03:32:47am

As Duke Nukem points out, the Dukes also were listed in the FCS Coaches' Poll under "Others Receiving Votes:" Link to Coaches' Poll.

The Dukes got 2 points and Albany received 6 points. What irritated me was that Nicholls State, the Dukes' long distance opponent of 2009 from the Southland Conference, received 4 points with a 1-10 record. Damn they must be the best 1-10 team in all the land! What a joke! Nicholls State was crushed in all but one of their 10 loses. Take a look at the records of some of the teams that got points in the "Others" category. The Dukes are the only team with a 9-2 record. Dayton curiously got one point for its 6-5 record. Several teams received more points that the Dukes with much lesser records. It would be interesting to find out what coaches are allowed to vote in this poll.

I think it's important for Albany to win their first FCS playoff game against Stoney Brook to help restore some of the stature that the NEC lost this season. Should Albany win this game, they will playing the #1-seeded team, Sam Houston State, who is also from the Southland Conference, in the next round. Sam Houston State will likely end Albany's play-off run; but Albany's getting that first win for the NEC would be a great boost to the image of the conference.

Author:
Duke from way back
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Tuesday, November 22, 07:53:26pm

Shoey...I noticed that too. The CCS player who won the award played well. I don't want to diminish his accomplishmetns but SP and CD had monster days which far exceeded his day. I noticed that CCS had not had an offensive player picked all year probably because of their poor year. Playin' a little politics here. I have noticed that the conference is very NY/Conn biased. When the All Confernce selections come out I think we will be very surprised and disappointed. We can't let that get in the way of acknowledging and appreciating a tremendous team effort.

Subject: Strike While the Iron is Hot!!!

Author:
Shaler Tom
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Tuesday, November 22, 07:27:07pm

What a terrific year. The boys showed alot of character and gave Duquesne its best FCS showing since offering scholarships.

Certainly the administration must now realize that football must be given its due and will do the right thing by the team and its fans. The RMU game was electric and the stands were full and loud.

We won the recruiting battle with RMU in a big way this year on the field. Now we must take all of the WPIAL kids we can. Joe Walton showed what an ass he is when he called a timeout with 20 seconds left, losing 45-10. Who would want to play for an idiot like that?

We might have another NFL draft pick in Connor Dixon following up Leigh Bodden and lets not forget about Larry McCoy who should get a look next year as he closes in on 5000 yrds rushing. (I think he's around 3500 now.) Can anyone say "Walter Payton Award" Amodio and Saba need to start lobbying the PG and Trib for coverage.

We've been through all of this before.....the band, the stands, tailgating, media etc. NOW IS THE TIME!

Strike While the Iron is Hot!!!!!

[> Subject: Re: Strike While the Iron is Hot!!!

Author:
Shoey
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Tuesday, November 22, 11:37:59pm

I agree we have McCoy, Bell, Patterson, Kona who I believe will all end up in camps (or drafted) like Dixon and Dunn this year. That is alot of talent we have to start promoting them!!!!!

Subject: Looking Ahead to Next Year

Author:
Always a Duke
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Sunday, November 20, 08:36:41pm

Even though the Dukes' football season has just come to a very successful conclusion, it's not too early to possibly make some travel plans for the Dukes' first game next season. The Dukes will play at Old Dominion in Norfolk, Virginia, on Saturday, Sept. 1, 2012. (Click here for info on Foreman Field at S.B. Ballard Stadium.)

A newcomer to CAA football this season, currently 10th-ranked (TSN Poll) Old Dominion, 9-2, received one of the 10 at-large bids to the FCS playoffs, which will begin next Saturday. Altough no kick off time has been set for next year's opener yet, I note that the first 3 home games for Old Dominion during this season began at 6 PM. This game will be on Labor Day Weekend so maybe you can head to the shore for a little vacation following the game. Note that Norfolk is a 400 mile drive from the Burgh.

As I reported several weeks ago, rounding out the Dukes' other non-conference opponents will be Dayton on September 8 (H) and Valpraiso on September 15 (A).

Subject: From the NEC Web Site- Way to go Dukes!

Author:
Alum 91
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Sunday, November 20, 11:16:38am

The race for the 2011 Northeast Conference football crown came down to the final day of the regular season on Saturday, and in the end, Albany and Duquesne each staked its claim to the title. The Great Danes and Dukes both finished 7-1 in league play on the year, but it was Albany which earned the NEC's automatic bid to the NCAA FCS playoffs by virtue of its head-to-head victory over Duquesne in early October. UA will learns its NCAA opponent when the 20-team playoff bracket is announced Sunday at 10:00 am live on ESPNU.

Subject: A free t-shirt to whoever comes up with the best Rivalry Game Name!

Author:
Coffee
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Sunday, November 20, 11:02:33am

OK, we have the Backyard Brawl... What do we call this one?

[> Subject: Re: A free t-shirt to whoever comes up with the best Rivalry Game Name!

Author:
Duke Nukem
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, November 19, 09:27:17am

THE BOBBIE BEAT DOWN!

[> [> Subject: Re: A free t-shirt to whoever comes up with the best Rivalry Game Name!

Author:
Marquis
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, November 19, 09:32:46am

I kind of liked the Steel City Trophy "For All the Marbles". What ever happened to that idea?

[> [> [> Subject: Re: A free t-shirt to whoever comes up with the best Rivalry Game Name!

Author:
Coffee
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, November 19, 09:45:37am

The first time I went to the Duquesne administration, they took the idea of a "Layden Trophy" to RMU and they shot it down as being a "Duquesne" trophy since it honored a Duquesne coach.

Then we got a committee together and suggested changing the name to The Coaching Legends Trophy to Honor 4 local coaching legends going back continuously from the present in an unbroken line to the very beginnings of college football- Walton, Klausing, Layden, and Warner. That is one hell of a football coaching tradition with 3 College Hall of Fame Coaches who coached here.

We were to approach RMU to see if this would be more acceptable than a trophy only honoring Layden. You'd think that they'd be glad to honor Walton in with the other three.

No movement since a meeting at the Red Ring over the winter. The trophy sits in my basement.

[> [> [> [> Subject: Re: A free t-shirt to whoever comes up with the best Rivalry Game Name!

Author:
Alum 91
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Sunday, November 20, 11:02:33am

How about "The Parkway War", "War on the Parkway" "Battle for the Burgh" or "Steel City Showdown"?

Subject: Bit From the Blog- RMU Pregame and Prediction

Author:
Coffee
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, November 19, 09:23:15am

Going in, this game seems to be an easy one to call. The Dukes come into this one at 8-2 while the Colonials are 2-8. The Dukes have won their last 4 while the Colonials have lost their last 5. Robert Morris Freshman Quarterback Matt Layman is facing a Dukes defense that has allowed just one short yardage touchdown in the past two games and leads the nation in passing defense in just his second start.

The visitors come in with 8 different starting lineups against a home team that pretty much has been steady with even a few upgrades with the addition of another year for Conner Dixon and the addition of a projected starter for Ohio state, Dorian Bell to an already deep defense.

Finally, the Dukes are playing to preserve a chance to make the NCAA Playoffs with some cooperation from the Albany Sacred Heart game while the Colonials are just trying to salvage a bit of pride in a season after they themselves won the playoff spot.

After all this, can the Colonials come in and take this game? Certainly. After all the Dukes outplayed and still lost to Bucknell in the home opener and this is a "rivalry" game. Will they? No- Dukes 31 RMU 17.

Read the rest at the Blog

[> Subject: I want to beat them like a toy drum.

Author:
El Duque
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, November 19, 07:55:13am

PS, Joe Walton picks his nose.

[> [> Subject: Re: I want to beat them like a toy drum.

Author:
Coffee
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, November 19, 09:23:15am

Great to hear from you ED! This is the right time of year to play the Bobbies. Even when one team is coming in with a bad record, it is still a "rivalry game.

Subject: Coverage on Rivals.com's Robert Morris site

Author:
Andrew Chiappazzi
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Friday, November 18, 03:56:42pm

Duquesne fans:
Wanted to let you know that a longtime Robert Morris news site, ColonialsCorner, is now on Rivals.com. As the publisher of the site, I'm encouraging fans of all Northeast Conference teams to come and join in on the discussion.

It's been a good transition, but we'd love for the discussion to pick up. I realize that the game this weekend doesn't hold the normal allure it would when both teams are doing well, but we all know that doesn't normally matter in a rivalry like this one.

So come on over, check out the site (colonialscorner.com) and feel free to jump on the message boards. I don't want to take anyone away from any sites, and it seems like you're fairly active here. Just letting you know there's another news source out there for NEC fans.

Thanks!

[> Subject: Re: Coverage on Rivals.com's Robert Morris site

Author:
Duke from way back
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Friday, November 18, 10:27:39am

YOu are correct that records do not matter. The Dukes better be ready for Joe Walton and the Colonials or they could get stunned. Two years ago when the Dukes won with Dixon at QB, RM almost won coming back from a huge deficit. Hopefully, the seniors can keep everyone focused and close it out.

[> [> Subject: Re: Coverage on Rivals.com's Robert Morris site

Author:
Duke from way back
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Friday, November 18, 11:04:27am

Something to keep in mind. RMU has struggled on offense but they have the second ranked rush defense in the NEC and third overall defense despite all the injuries and underclassmen. Joe Walton can still coach despite this year's record. Beating the Dukes could make their season.
Be careful, guys

[> [> [> Subject: Re: Coverage on Rivals.com's Robert Morris site

Author:
Always a Duke
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Friday, November 18, 03:56:42pm

I know this is a rivalry game, but I'm just not all that worried about the Dukes losing to Bobby Mo tomorrow, barring injuries to the Dukes' key players. Of course, on any given Saturday...

Subject: Predictions for Duquesne-Robert Morris & Albany-Sacred Heart Games

Author:
Always a Duke
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Friday, November 18, 04:48:58am

Sean Shapiro, FCS Assistant, of the Sports Network (TSN) provided these predictions for Saturday's two most important games in the NEC:

Robert Morris Colonials (3-7, 2-5 NEC) at Duquesne Dukes (8-2, 6-1), noon
Series record: Tied, 6-6
Last meeting: at Robert Morris 34, Duquesne 11 (Oct. 30, 2010)

What to know: Duquesne would clinch a share of the Northeast Conference title with a victory, but still needs outside help to reach the playoffs. Due to a midseason loss to Albany, the Great Danes would get the automatic bid with a victory against Sacred Heart this week.

Ohio State transfer defensive lineman Dorian Bell had a big game in Duquesne's 29-15 win against Sacred Heart last week. He earned NEC Defensive Player of the Week honors for his eight tackle performance.

In a disappointing season for Robert Morris after reaching the playoffs last year, the Colonials have struggled on both offense and defense. Other than a brief two-game winning streak in October, Robert Morris' offense has averaged just 16.5 points per game.

Prediction: Duquesne 27, Robert Morris 18

Sacred Heart Pioneers (5-5, 3-4 NEC) at Albany Great Danes (7-3, 6-1), 1 p.m.
Series record: Albany leads, 11-2
Last meeting: Albany 35, at Sacred Heart 23 (Nov. 6, 2010)

What to know: It's as simple as "win and you're in" for the Great Danes. Thanks to a victory against Duquesne on Oct. 8, Albany can clinch the NEC's automatic playoff bid, which would be the first in school history.

Albany running back Andrew Smith is coming off an outstanding performance in a 41-24 win against Monmouth. Not only did Smith carry the ball 14 times for 131 yards and a pair of touchdowns, but the junior also tossed a 44-yard touchdown pass, his third completion and touchdown of the season.

Earlier this season, it looked like the Pioneers would possibly challenge for the NEC title after a four-game winning streak to improve to 4-2. However, Sacred Heart has stumbled since then and lost three of its last four, including a bad, 29-15 loss to Duquesne last week.

Prediction: Albany 35, Sacred Heart 17

Remember Duquesne fans, upsets can and do happen. So let's hope Sacred Heart puts it all together & upsets the Great Danes by a late game field goal: Sacred Heart 31- Albany 28.

Note that Sagarin favors the Dukes by nearly 18 points and RealTime RPI.com gives the Dukes an even bigger spread over Bobby Mo. Try 28 points! Five of the previous 12 games between the Dukes and Colonials over the years have been by 7 pts. of less. I'm predicting a 31 to 13 win for the Dukes this weekend. The Dukes' tough defense will give up no more than one TD to Bobby Mo's struggling offense. Bobby Mo had to rely on its two freshmen QBs in its last game due to an injury to junior starting QB Jeff Sinclair in the game against Central Conn. State. I don't believe that Sinclair will be able to play, and the Colonials will be dependent on its two frosh. Not likely a recipe for victory for them!

[> Subject: Re: Predictions for Duquesne-Robert Morris & Albany-Sacred Heart Games

Author:
Marquis
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Thursday, November 17, 11:29:08pm

I hope that the Pioneers can beat the Great Dames but I'm not too optimistic... I'll keep my fingers crossed.

[> Subject: Re: Predictions for Duquesne-Robert Morris & Albany-Sacred Heart Games

Author:
Always a Duke
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Friday, November 18, 04:48:58am

According to Robert Morris' Game Notes, Sophomore Tyler Forbes, who came on in relief of injured Freshman QB Matt Layman and completed 10 of his 21 passing attempts for 140yards, a touchdown and an interception against Wagner, will make his first career start Saturday against the Dukes.

Subject: National stat leaders

Author:
Shoey
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Tuesday, November 15, 09:46:21am

Adding to the above mentioned as follows

Isaac Sprague #36 catches per game

Connor Dixon #47 yards per game
#31 scoring

Sean Patterson #19 Total points responsible for
#44 total offense
40th Pass efficiency

Jared Williams #15 interceptions
#35 passes defended

Chris Oliver #79 total tackles

Subject: Pass defense #1 in the country

Author:
Duke from way back
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Monday, November 14, 06:43:19pm

Am I reading this right but is the Dukes pass defense #1 in the nation FCS? If so, my hats off to Coach O, Serge Kona, Jarrod Williams, Kihry Carter, Aaron Fitzpatrick, the LB's and guys up front applying the pressure and the other coaches etc etc. Wow, how far this program has come!!!!

[> Subject: Re: Pass defense #1 in the country

Author:
Always a Duke
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Monday, November 14, 05:49:50pm

Good news for one of the defensive players, Dorian Bell, who was named NEC Defensive Player of the Week: Click here.

It took Mr. Bell a few games to adjust to the Dukes, his new team; but it appears that he is living up to his billing. Thank you, Ohio State!

Dukes again appear among "Others receiving votes" in the TSN FCS Poll as of Nov. 14th:
Click here for TSN Poll.

[> Subject: Re: Pass defense #1 in the country

Author:
Shaler Tom
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Monday, November 14, 06:43:19pm

Duke from way back...you are correct. With 120 teams in the FCS ranks, Duquesne is #1 in pass defense (139 yds/game), 14th in scoring defense (19 pts/game)and 5th in total defense (284 yds/game).

Offensively we are 17th in rushing (208 yds/game)

Individually, Larry McCoy is 7th in rushing and Connor Dixon is 3rd in TD receptions (13). Awesome stats!

Subject: Shaler Tom

Author:
Sacred Heart Thoughts
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Sunday, November 13, 09:49:46am

I'd like to give some kudos to a kid that I think was the player of the game. No...not Larry McCoy, although 155 yds and 2 touchdowns was awesome. No....not Connor Dixon, although 6 rec. 90 yds and 2 TDs is impressive. No, not the defense, although you could make a case for how well they played.

I think the player of the game was Charlie Leventry. All game long when our offense stalled, Leventry punted the ball inside the twenty and when SHU got that safety at the end setting up a DU kickoff from the 20, Charlie booted the ball 71 yards and forced Sacred heart to start on their 9 yd line, effectively ending the game.

8-2 heading into the RMU game. Go Dukes!!!

[> Subject: Re: Shaler Tom

Author:
Duke from way back
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Sunday, November 13, 10:50:06am

ST....you have said it all, once again. Tremendous day for Charlie in the midst of a tremendous season. He has to be a candidate for first team all conference.

Subject: Sacred Heart site

Author:
Shoey
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, November 12, 02:52:05pm

Is the Sacred Heart site a free site? I have it up just dont see anywhere to pay. any help?

[> Subject: Re: Sacred Heart site

Author:
Always a Duke
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, November 12, 01:06:51pm

1stQ: Dukes lose fumble and Sacred Heart recovers and returns it for TD. SH misses extra point. Dukes-7, Scared Heart-6.

2nd Q: The Dukes intercept a SH pass and march down field. The Dukes score on a 33 yd TD pass reception by Connor Dixon.
Dukes-14, Sacred Heart-6.

Link to free video.

[> [> Subject: Re: Sacred Heart site

Author:
Always a Duke
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, November 12, 01:20:47pm

Connor Dixon again for 35 yd.reception for TD late in 2nd Q.

Scores at the half:

Dukes-21, Sacred Heart-6.

Albany-14, Monmouth-10.

[> [> [> Subject: Re: Sacred Heart site

Author:
Always a Duke
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, November 12, 01:38:25pm

9:27 to go in 3rd Quarter: Monmouth-17, Albany 14

GO MONMOUTH!

[> Subject: Re: Sacred Heart site

Author:
Shaler Tom
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, November 12, 01:37:50pm

It's free Shoey

Author:
Always a Duke
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, November 12, 02:40:26pm

Dukes get punt blocked in end zone and give up safety.
Dukes-21, Sacred Heart-15. Sacred Heart have the ball at their 13 yd line with 2:09 to go in game.

Author:
Always a Duke
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, November 12, 02:52:05pm

Dukes sack Sacred Heart's QB on the 5 yd line on 4th down late in 4th Q. On first down following Dukes'taking possession, Larry McCoy scores TD on 5 yd run. Dukes score 2 pts. on run by holder.

Final score: Dukes-29 Sacred Heart-15

Way to hang on for the victory. Dukes' defense steps up big at the game's end.

Author:
Shoey
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, November 12, 02:40:33pm

Almost wish I hadnt watched 2nd half..........played not to lose.

Author:
Shaler Tom
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Saturday, November 12, 02:47:13pm

Very conservative

Subject: Tie-Breaker scenarios in the NEC

Author:
ALways a Duke
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Monday, November 07, 08:10:42pm

From the latest edition of NEC Football News & Notes:

AROUND THE LEAGUE
Great Danes Have Inside Track to FCS Playoffs

It’s Week 10 loss aside, UAlbany still sits in the driver’s seat in terms of the race for the Northeast Confer-
ence’s automatic bid to the NCAA FCS playoffs. The Great Danes (5-1) sit tied atop the NEC standings with
Duquesne (5-1), but hold the tiebreaker over the Dukes by virtue of their 38-10 head-to-head win on Oct. 8.
If Bob Ford’s Great Danes win their final two contests, every other point is moot and UA will represent the
NEC in the 20-team NCAA bracket. But…

Bryant’s road upset over the Great Danes not only ended Albany’s bid for a perfect NEC season, but it also
opened the door for a number of ensuing scenarios to unfold over the final two weeks of the regular season
schedule. Monmouth (4-2) and Bryant (4-2) are by no means eliminated from the race for first place, but face
an uphill climb that also requires outside help. It’s only about bragging rights for Bryant, however, since the
Bulldogs are not yet eligible for NCAA postseason play as they are still completing the reclassification process
into the Division I ranks. Although, they aren’t eligible for the postseason bid, the NEC considers Bryant a full
member in the sense that it will factor Bryant into tiebreaking scenarios. For Monmouth, however, a possible
trip to the postseason is on the line. It all starts with Monmouth’s Week 11 matchup against the Danes at
Kessler Field. If Monmouth hands UAlbany a second straight league loss, then things will get interesting with
the possibility of a three-way, and even a four-way, tie for first place.

In the event four teams all finish with two league losses and tie for first – UAlbany, Duquesne, Monmouth,
and Bryant – Duquesne would come out on top. Monmouth’s hope to acquire the postseason berth relies
on a win over UA coupled with back-to-back losses from Duquesne. In the event of a three-way tie between
UAlbany, Duquesne, and Monmouth (presuming Monmouth defeats Albany), Duquesne would acquire the
NEC’s automatic bid into the FCS championship bracket if the fourth-place finisher is Bryant (should another
team finish fourth, the tiebreaker scenario would play out differently).

Games Remaining for Top-4 Teams in NEC Standings:

UAlbany – at Monmouth (Nov. 12); vs. Sacred Heart (Nov. 19)

Duquesne – at Sacred Heart (Nov. 12); vs. Robert Morris
(Nov. 19)

Monmouth – vs. UAlbany (Nov. 12); vs. Wagner (Nov. 19)

Bryant – vs. Saint Francis (PA) (Nov. 12); vs. Cen. Conn. (Nov. 19)

Subject: From the Duquesne Duke

Author:
Coffee
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Monday, November 07, 09:23:51am

Doesn't this sound familiar??? It is from the latest student newspaper- The Duquesen Duke- Come on- Add a real band and put in some more bleachers!!!! Nobody wants to go to a game at Rooney the way it looks and sounds now!!!

GREAT football- No college atmosphere.

"The cheerleaders almost plead for the crowd to chant "Let's Go Dukes!" while the band, which fits in a tiny tent found in the east end zone, plays an inaudible rendition of Duquesne's fight song. The whole scene is so laughable that it's almost hard to understand why so many talented athletes would agree to play here.
These players earned an enthusiastic crowd with a third place NEC finish and 7-4 2010 record, and with even more success this season, that enthusiasm is way past due.
It's time to pay up, Duquesne, so here's a challenge: wake up before noon on Nov. 19 and make your way to Rooney Field for the Dukes' final game of the 2011 season. Pull out your student ID and receive your free college football ticket. Proceed to the grandstands and watch your team.
But don't just observe the action between Duquesne and local NEC rival Robert Morris. No, that's not enough. Be an active participant. Chant your school's name, learn the fight song's lyrics and make some noise.
Most of all, show these players that their efforts this season have been recognized. Because whether you care or not, they've earned it.

[> Subject: Re: From the Duquesne Duke

Author:
Marquis
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Sunday, November 06, 09:35:49am

I'm not surprised with this article. It should be obvious to all who have been to a good college football game that the band and half time show is part of the chemistry and that a crowd feeds on itself. If the stands were there for the RMU game, they'd be filled and the crowd would come back again.

Author:
Duke Nukem
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Sunday, November 06, 09:47:13am

I read this and the blog but usually don't post- nice site Mr. Coffee. The students made their call to attend and cheer- Let's get the alumni and family there to show that we can fill the stands. I almost don't blame the university for not building more seats if we don't fill them.

They don't understand the concept of building a facility that is more of a college atmosphere to encourage folks to attend. This is a "chicken and the egg" argument that we aren't going to win untill we fill the existing stands. They will not build it if we don't come.

Be there to see the Dukes punch out Bobby Mo and perhaps win or tie for a Conference Championship!

[> [> Subject: Re: From the Duquesne Duke

Author:
OldTimer
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Sunday, November 06, 03:29:51pm

Just remember back to the 2004-2008 seasons - we had a tremendous atmosphere at games and proper tailgates organized by the folks from the Lehigh Valley. Then Amodio stepped in to stop all that so that he could have the "Official" tailgates and make money. It's never been the same since then !! More cowbell ................!!!!

[> [> [> Subject: Re: From the Duquesne Duke

Author:
Duke from way bak
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Monday, November 07, 09:23:51am

I can understand what Amodio was trying to do...Catholic University, limit the alcohol and try to raise more money by having fans pay Duquesne instead of the beer distributor, the State store and Giant Eagle. I would not mind paying for a few tailgaters but the problem arises when you bring or invite people outside the family or who are younger and just starting out. Then it becomes expensive because they dont want to pay, my grandkids can't pay, my friends friends who have no loyalty to Duquesne don't want to pay and you lose that continuity or communal feeling that a group tailgate brings. If you are just an older married couple who graduated from DU and just want to see a game then the DU tailgate is fine but that will not help put ()fan)nies ):):)in the seats or pump up attendance. The thing that private tailgating brings is PAGEANTRY. The signs, the different foods, the banners, the garb. It's missing here. This is NOT a criticism of Amodio. He has liability and safety concerns, City of Pgh traffic laws and he has to answer to more than just the President in a Catholic institution but until that day comes, Duq will not get the casual fan. Incidnetally , I do think that families support the team at home. It's everyone else other than family and a few die hard supporters that we need to attract. Just my two cents.

Author:
Shaler Tom
[ Edit | View ]

Date Posted: Sunday, November 06, 07:49:12pm

Especially when you consider that Duquesne prides itself on its Music program.

Main index ] [ Archives: 1234[5]678910 ]

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a new public message:
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
* Message subject (required):

* Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (optional):

* Type your message here:

Choose Message Icon: [ View Emoticons ]

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT-5
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2016 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.