VoyForums
1 CLICK GIVES FREE FOOD!
www.TheHungerSite.com
Protect Habitat with a Click!
www.TheRainforestSite.com
Non-profit ad served by VoyForums...

23/07/03 14:51:33VoyUser Login optional ] [ Contact Forum Admin ] [ Main index ] [ Post a new message ] [ Search | Check update time | Archives: 123456789 ]
Subject: correct minor mistakes in history of trapper

Author:
paul anstey
[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]
Date Posted: 17/09/06 23:57:43

I came across this web page and after reading it I thought I would make a few comments as my memory is at odds with a few of your notes.
The iron keel was introduced for purely economic reasons. The lead keel became just to expensive during one of those blips in material costs. The flat bottom was more to get the weight as low as possible than for any other reason (iron is a lot lighter than lead).
There is an inferance that I lied about the length. I only ever believed her to be 27' 4". Just before I left the company a marketing director was appointed and the designation somehow became 27'11", not my doing!!!
We did build a second mold in Poole and infact used the original canadian mold as a holding jig to keep the still pliable hulls in shape while the bulkheads and interiors were installed.
While I was there the Rustler logo was never molded into any of the hulls.
The factory at Denmark Lane was lost after a fire and the production moved to Cobbs Quay. We owned a plant at Sterte (still in Poole) where we did the moldings but this was sold just before the company went into recievership. The assets were subsequently bought by Granary Holdings. (Granary already owned the Deacons Boatyard site). I left at the end of 1976. At that time all operations of Trapper were still in Poole. I left to follow a very good job offer in The US.
Commercially the biggest mistake we made was not building a little powerboat to compete with a small startup company on West Quay Road called Sunseeker.
My mother and I designed the original logo. Its shape shanged over the years but mainly because sailmakers always seemed to get the proportions different interpreting it from a couple of inches to a couple of feet. I remember the kitchen table discussion and early sketches quite well.
These days I am a yacht Surveyor in Florida. Every now and again I get the urge to build some boats. Usually my wife talks me out of it.
Paul

[ Next Thread | Previous Thread | Next Message | Previous Message ]

Replies:
Subject Author Date
Re: correct minor mistakes in history of trapperNick18/09/06 2:15:12
Re: correct minor mistakes in history of trapperBrad Croshaw18/09/06 23:51:38
Re: correct minor mistakes in history of trapperbrian henry 4/10/06 13:50:16

VoyUser Login ] Not required to post.
Post a public reply to this message | Go post a new public message
Note: This forum is moderated -- new posts are not visible until approved.
* HTML allowed in marked fields.
Message subject (required):

Name (required):

Expression (Optional mood/title along with your name) Examples: (happy, sad, The Joyful, etc.) help)

E-mail address (required):

* Type your message here:

Choose Message Icon: [ View Emoticons ]

Note: This forum is moderated -- new posts are not visible until approved.

Notice: Copies of your message may remain on this and other systems on internet. Please be respectful.

[ Contact Forum Admin ]

Forum timezone: GMT+1
VF Version: 3.00b, ConfDB:
Before posting please read our privacy policy.
VoyForums(tm) is a Free Service from Voyager Info-Systems.
Copyright © 1998-2017 Voyager Info-Systems. All Rights Reserved.