Programming and providing support for this service has been a labor
of love since 1997. We are one of the few services online who values our users'
privacy, and have never sold your information. We have even fought hard to defend your
privacy in legal cases; however, we've done it with almost no financial support -- paying out of pocket
to continue providing the service. Due to the issues imposed on us by advertisers, we
also stopped hosting most ads on the forums many years ago. We hope you appreciate our efforts.
Show your support by donating any amount. (Note: We are still technically a for-profit company, so your
contribution is not tax-deductible.)
We're down to the penultimate chapter of this series, which is already WAY longer than I ever thought it would be! Hehehe! But the next chapter will be the last, and I hope you guys had as much fun reading it as I did writing it! So enjoy the new chapter, and be sure to let me know what you think whenever you can! K?
The '30 Days Of Night' updates will continue past Halloween, hehehe, but there is still MUCH more to come! Believe me! And you won't want to miss them, as many of them will be building a three dimensional view of the original series!
But, for now? Here's a completed, stand alone, story that was just written to be short and sweet. Something for you guys to enjoy! Let me know what you think when you get a chance! K? And look for many more tales from the GFD universe in the GFD Worlds section on the website! There are a lot of vampire goodies waiting for you there! Hehehe!
Seezya soon! We've still got a long way to go, folks! A LONG way! :D
A brand new chapter of "Left Without Words" is up today! So if you've been looking for more giggles from Deme and Shane...here they are! Enjoy! And please take a few seconds to let me know what you think when you get a chance! :)
Also, if this is your first time hearing about this series (::Waves Hi To All Of Our New Shackers::), then you can read all the previous chapters at the link below! K?
This week's 3M selection may make you want to get a little bit of therapy for yourself! You know...just in case!
I mean...what can you really do with someone that has a severe disorder that continues to keep them on a razor sharp edge between being stable and unstable? Non-Violent and violent? Especially when that particular someone is your own preteen son?
Lying somewhere between "The Good Son" and "One Flew Over The Cuckoos Nest"...this movie takes both mental illness and its many treatments, and brings them right to the surface to show you what it looks like from both sides. Which I found pretty interesting.
It begins with young Brian, his parents, and the adoption of a brand new baby sister for him. Which doesn't seem all that ominous at first, but Brian has some serious issues going on in his head. And I don't mean in a trouble-maker/mischief kind of way! He's like...young Michael Myers from "Halloween" kind of creepy! (In fact, Daerg Fench, who played a young Michael Myers in the Rob Zombie remake is actually in this movie!) And when Brian get pushed to the edge...which doesn't take much...'accidents' happen. Bad ones.
But he gets treatment, comes out, and gives life a second shot. He's older now, and he's really trying as he goes to high school. Oh yeah, psh! Now THAT'S a peaceful place to get back on your feet again! Friggin' HIGH SCHOOL! Hehehe! And as the movie progresses, you get a real sense of what it must be like to live with something that you simply cannot control. But you also get a view at how ugly the rest of the world can be at the same time. So, there are times when I feel really BAD for the poor guy. God knows, he's trying! But then there are other times when it's like..."Holy shit!!! Ok...yeah, he's a psycho!"
And this is a psychological thriller, so...eventually he gets pushed a little too far. And 'accidents' aren't just 'accidents' anymore.
I've included the trailer below, but I think it would probably be better to watch this flick without it. It's just a peek at the overall nature of evil and malice, and it makes you think about what you would do if it was you. Or if it was your kid.
METALLICA! (Rated best to worst) -- River Acheron, 21:03:41 10/17/20 Sat
So, I thought it would be fun to list Metallica albums from my absolute favorite to the one I dislike the most. Because...why not? Now this ONLY includes studio albums, so no 'S&M', 'Garage Inc.', or 'No Life Till Leather', etc. This is only my personal preference obviously! I re-listened to every album in order today so I can really do this well.
1. 'Master of Puppets' (1986): A solid classic, and my favorite Metallica album. From 'Battery' to 'Damage Inc', every single song just hits me the right way. 'Welcome Home (Sanitarium)' is prob my favorite song on the album. Also, I don't care what anyone says, in terms of heavy metal, it's the bands heaviest album. Amazing in every way without a single flaw. You know, I would even say this this ranks in my top 3 albums of all time, sitting right night to Black Sabbath's 'Paranoid' and Bad Religion's 'Suffer'. It's not easy to find an album where you can't find a single negative thing to say about it, and every song gives you "the feels".
2. 'Ride the Lightning' (1984): I know a lot of fans like this one better than 'Master of Puppets', but not me. Oh, don't get me wrong...I ADORE this album. Hell, out of 10 (to date) studio albums, it's my second favorite. In fact, this album has my all-time favorite Metallica song on it, 'For Whom the Bell Tolls' (Gotta love Lars' drumming on that one!), and my favorite ballad by them, 'Fade to Black'. However, the reason this is not my number 1 is because I don't consistently love every song the way I do for 'Master of Puppets'. It's pretty damn close though! I like songs such as 'Trapped Under Ice', 'Escape', and 'Fight Fire with Fire' but they doesn't hit AS strong. Since the purpose of this lil post isn't to rate individual songs, but rather the album as an absolute whole - an entity in and of itself - I would have to place this below 'Master of Puppets', but just barely. It's so close I had to think about it for a few minutes.
3. 'Hardwired... to Self-Destruct' (2016): What? is River going absolutely nuts? A newer (In fact, THE newest!) Metallica album this high on the list? Damn fucking right! I was in SHOCK when I first heard this album in 2016. Not only is it a FANTASTIC return to the thrashier and at the same time heavier Metallica of the 80's, (just listen to the guitar during the bridge of 'Atlas, Rise!', and tell me that's not damn near perfection!!) it's almost a completely solid album for me across the board. My favorite song on this, and is def in my top 10 Metallica songs of all time now is 'Now That We're Dead'. After 'RELoad', Metallica tried a few times to go back to their roots and well...lets just say this time they struck gold. For me, this album belongs right up there with 'Ride the Lightning' and 'Master of Puppets'. Plus, the central theme of this album is death and nihilistic pessimism. You can't go wrong with that! 🙂
4. 'Kill 'Em All' (1983). Metallica's debut album. I know hardcore fans usually rate this album a little higher, but...honestly, it's a bit TOO unpolished for me. I like heavier Metallica than the pure thrash metal that this album is. 'Ride the Lightning' and 'Hardwired... to Self-Destruct' blends both damn well, but this is just too much of the thrash. lol. I by no means dislike this album at all! In fact, it's got 'Four Horseman' on it, and I love the shit out of that song. And of course songs like 'Jump in the Fire', 'Whiplash', etc are all well and good, I'm just not IN love with them. They are friend-zoned. 😛
5. 'REload' (1997): My favorite Metallica album during their...lets call them...alternative years? It's way heavier than 'Load' with better songs, in my opinion. This album was actually inspired by Southern Rock, and you can absolutely tell when you listen to it, that James' hillbilly side kinda shows a bit during songs like 'Fuel', 'Attitude' ("Throw all your bullets in the fire...and run like Hell!" I love that line!), and 'Bad Seed'. This album is basically Southern Melodic Heavy Metal. A far cry away from Metallica of old, and not my favorite departure or style of rock, but still a damn fine album!
6. 'Load' (1996): Not *as* as good as 'REload' in my opinion. Sure it's got some great tunes like, 'Until It Sleeps', 'King Nothing', 'Ronnie', and 'Outlaw Torn'...and yes I know fans prefer this album to it's counterpart, but for whatEVER reason, the songs on 'REload' just resonated with me a littttleeee bit more....in the sense that 'REload' always has gotten more replay value out of me. It's not that this album is forgettable or anything and there's only one BAD Metallica album as far as I'm concerned (We'll get there! lol). But in terms of ranking good things against other good things, I gotta put this a bit further down on the list. 😕
7. '...And Justice for All' (1988): Some of you may now seriously may be wondering what the hell is wrong with me. I'm so sorry I just never loved this album! Not like the ones I listed before this. It's not that ANY song on here is bad, omg no, again...it's just a case that most of these songs didn't really do much for me, with the exceptions of 'One', and 'The Frayed Ends of Sanity'. I do not dislike 'Harvester of Sorrow', 'Blackened', 'Eye of the Beholder' or any of them really, and would never turn them off if they came on the radio (to the contrary...I'd blast that shit!), but I really don't go out of my way to listen to them either. To me, it's so-so metal. I know how beloved this album is. In fact, many of my fellow metal friends consider this the best album of all time, not to mention the awards it won, etc. Still...I JUST couldn't get into when I first started listening to Metallica...and after a listen today...I feel the same way.
8. 'Self Titled' ("The Black Album") (1991): Milktoast. Milktoast alternative radio-friendly rock. Bleh. Up until now, my top seven Metallica albums are all fairly close in terms of likeability. Now's where there is a huge dip in quality for me. This was the start of Metallica's big transformation to basically cater to the mainstream and the first studio album to be produced by Bob Rock who I'm sure was the one who convinced Metallica to cut their hair and to appeal to a wider demographic. All thrash was eliminated at this point. Do I hate this album? Absolutely not. Again...I only hate one album (patience, grasshoppers!) In fact, the song 'The God That Failed' is one of my favorite Metallica songs. But remember I'm ranking albums on the whole. I really dislike 'Enter Sandman', and 'Wherever I May Roam', the other songs are kinda forgettable. The two ballads, 'Unforgiven' and 'Nothing Else Matters' are very good, so I'll give the album that. But they ARE ballads, which means they really could have appeared on ANY Metallica album during any era and would have equally worked, ya know?
9. 'Death Magnetic' (2008): Full disclosure here...today was the first time I got around to listening to this. I was 14 years old when this came out, and this is the funny thing...it's the first Metallica album I bought during it's initial release! 'St. Anger' came out when I was 9 years old, and I was not listening to metal then. With older Metallica, I did what every kid did and I started listening to all the other stuff on various file-sharing sites and YouTube, etc. but for whatever reason...I never got around to listening to this one! It's still sitting in my room, unopened in fact, and Hell...I don't even think I have anything that plays CD's anymore. (I have PS3 games like that as well that are still in the wrappers!) As a FIRST impression? I don't love it. I don't feel like I'm being fair though, because sooo many songs take multiple listens to really grab me. In time, this could go higher on my list. It IS the evolution back to the thrashier days that they would eventually succeed with, on 'Hardwired....to Self-Destruct' (Even with only one listen, I can tell you that it is nowhere NEAR as good as that album. Also...I HATED 'Unforgiven 3'. Yuck.
10. 'St. Anger' (2003): AND speaking of "yuck"...was there ever any doubt? LOL! This album was touted as the return to their garage days roots. They wanted to go back to that classic sound. God, did they fail. How does mixing in crappy nu-metal go back to, say, 'Ride the Lightning'? And whats with the drumming!!?? It sounds like Lars is banging on hollow trash cans. The whole album has this tinny annoying sound that really irks me. No song, and I mean NO song is catchy or even remotely decent. There's not a single guitar solo on the entire album, and the production was awful. I get that Metallica wanted a raw sound. But...what they ended up doing was trying to capture a raw sound by PRODUCING it, you know? Like using CGI to fake something when you can just use practical effects. It's a fake, PRODUCED raw sound. If they had balls, they should have actually gone into a garage like in 1982, and play like they did back then. They CLAIMED that's the sound they wanted after all. So...what the fuck happened? It's like filming a movie that is supposed to look like 1970's footage. You have an old Super-8 camera. You can DO it beautifully. But instead, the studio wants you to use a modern hi-res professional camera and then "edit it in post". That's what this album is. And as such...a total failure.
When 2 boycrush generatons intersect... -- blastfromthepast, 23:29:58 10/16/20 Fri
I haven't posted here in at least 10 years, and I'm amazed to see it's still here. Cheers Com :) I couldn't even remember what my login name used to be lol.
Anyway, I just ran across this on instagram and it was too much - I just need to share it somewhere. Back in the day on this forum Justin was all the rage. Imagine my surprise seeing him and Jacob together. Enjoy!!!
It's the 15th of October, ladies and gentlemen! And that means that the Halloween issue of Imagine Magazine is up and ready to go! And this is month is bursting with new material! So have fun! Some thrills! Some chills! And a good time to be had by all! Enjoy! And thanks to everybody who worked hard to make this another successful launch for Imagine! We just keep getting better and more popular with every release! An it's all thanks to you guys!
FINALLY...it's 'Showtime! :P -- Comicality, 06:33:54 10/15/20 Thu
Hehehe, even though it took me a week longer than I thought it would, I got my focus back! Thank God!
I've developed another nasty cough though for some reason. Ummmm...doubt that it has anything to do with the pandemic, but it's become a national emergency for a lot of people if you cough in public these days. Hahaha! It's like..."GAH!!! Get the fuck away from me!!!" But I totally understand, so it's ok.
Ok, so, where were we? Let me pick up where I left off.
Also, I am SUPER excited to finally show you guys the first book of the "PakRatz" series!!! This has been years and YEARS in the works, and tied in to the "Gone From Daylight" mythology, but the surrounding stories had to be elevated to a certain point for it to all connect and make sense the way I wanted it to. And it was a LOT of planning and hard work, but here we are! XD
Loosely based on the Frank Sinatra, 'Rat Pack' squad, this series takes place alongside "GFD" and :Justin and Taryn, even though it's a story all on its own. And I've been weaving things in through other stories along the way. So, if you just want an added bonus, read "GFD", "Circle Nocturnus", "Dead Language", "Expiration Date", "Divine Right"...and you'll get some extra hints and clues as to what's going on here. (Not that you NEED to! It'll be a story that stands on it's own)
The new "Pak Ratz" trailer will be released on Halloween, along with the first ebook in the Comiclity Ebook section!
So keep yours eyes open! ou won't want to miss this six book extravaganza!
I LOVED the "Extinction Level Event" album from Busta Rhymes! But then again, I love stuff that's really dark and morbid, anyway! This promo looks like the sequel is going to be even darker than the original! Which...I'm totally cool with! XD
I haven't even heard a single song yet, and he's already creating an adorable army of demon children!!! LOL! I'm SO in!
This week's 3M is going to be a short recommendation! Because there's not a whole lot that I can tell you without soiling anything!
Yeah...I've been banging around in my head to see what I can say about this movie to recommend it to you guys, but without giving anything away. So...bear with me. I'll do my best. But it'll be vague! Hehehe! And yet, not all that 'farfetched', when you think about it.
First of all, while many scenes of this movie are brutal and unsettling to watch, it is NOT a horror movie! Even if it has a very creepy, 'horror-style', vibe to it.
Let's see...ummmmm...it takes place in two different...no wait. Ok, ummm...it's a rather shocking thriller that...no...wait. Cant say that either. Hehehe! Dangit!
You'll just have to watch it for yourselves! In fact, don't watch any of the other trailers than the brief teaser that I'm posting below! It's best to go into this movie blind and just let it sweep you up into the tension of what's going on...and what's REALLY going on!
As a warning, the first third of this movie deals with some really harsh and brutal images of slavery. The second third deals with something totally different (but related). And the last third of this movie will show you how it fits together. And...wow...
It makes for quite a few WTF moments, to say the least! And that's all I'll say! So check this psychological thriller out whenever you get a chance!
There have been mixed reviews of this movie here and there, but see it for yourself. Because I was actually quite surprised by this one. And it's HARD to surprise me with movies after the infinite amount of flicks I've combed through over the years! So MAJOR kudos to "Antebellum" from Comsie!
Plus...sighhhh...I love you, Janelle Monae! She's a great actress, but also an AMAZING singer/rapper/dancer too! And she's bisexual! AND...she's dating Tessa Thompson! ('Valkyrie' from "Thor: Ragnarok") Damn! That's just plain...hot! Hehehe! :P
I know that I haven't really been around to say much lately. It's a situation that is more exhausting to explain than the situation itself. Trust me.
But things are getting polished for Imagine Magazine's Halloween issue as you read this! And it will be ready on the 15th, as always! K?
Also, thank you to those of you who sent heartfelt emails this weekend. I know that a bunch of you guys are brand new to the site, and for a lot of you...this happened before you were even born. But I had a close friend of mine that I worked with, he was only 17...and on October 10th, he committed suicide. And I made it an official Shack Holiday in his honor. He was so loved and so appreciated.
But we take actually TELLING the people close to us that we love them! We just assume that they know already. But, I speak from experience when I say that nothing else in this world hurts more than finding out that you were wrong. Especially after it's too late.
I'll never know what drove him to do what he did...but I'll never forget the tight hug that he gave me just hours before he did it. Not ever.
Please...if you have any heart at all...don't take your friends and loved ones for granted. K? Tell them that you love them. That you care about them. And that you're there to listen...even when nobody else will. Please???
Use this week long holiday as an excuse to reach out and stop hording all the love and appreciation for yourself. Share it. PLEASE share it! It costs you nothing! And, at the end of the day...
...It could save someone's life.
I just wish I didn't have to learn that the hard way. :(
I love you all. And I'll seezya soon.
Thanks for the comforting emails, you guys. It made me smile to know that there are still people out there who care. Keep your heart. In the end...it's all we really have.
"30 Days Of Night" continues! This time, we go back to 1987, and we have Norio Myoki protecting his ex love's children from a squad of assassins that are coming to wipe out his entire bloodline! Definitely check this one out, as it connects to other stories in the "Gone From Daylight" universe! Enjoy! And let me know what you think when you're done reading!
Also, if you missed the first chapter of this series, you can find it at the link below! K? Seezya soon!