|Subject: Overall Impressions, and My Top 15|
[ Edit | View ]
Date Posted: 01:47:50 09/14/14 Sun
We're down to less than 24 hours!
It has really been a great week of competition. There are a lot of contestants who really brought their A game, and talent has been the best it’s been in YEARS. The state judges really did a good job in finding their best and sending them to Atlantic City. As such, the competition has been excellent. I really have only seen a few “bad” in each group. And even those have made up for it in other competitions. Overall, though, there have been a lot of consistent, well-performing contestants. I would like to stress something to all of you who have been following along this week:
DO NOT BE DISAPPOINTED IF YOUR FAVORITES DO NOT MAKE IT. IT IS NO REFLECTION ON THEM. THERE IS A LOT OF COMPETITION THIS YEAR, AND THERE WILL BE SOME GOOD CONTESTANTS LEFT STANDING.
I say that because I know even ones that I like (and there are many) are going to go home without competing the final night. And I know we have a lot of favorites each year. This isn’t a year where if your favorite doesn’t make it in, she just didn’t have the goods. This year, plenty do. And there’s only so many places. I am hoping that the public vote goes to one of the power states like OK or AL, because they’ll be there, anyway. Then we can have the true top 15 that made it on points.
I will start this out by narrowing down who I have completely out of the competition. I really don’t think you will see any of the following: AK, AZ, DC, ME, MO, NE, NV, NH, NM, NC,PR, RI, SD, UT, VT, VI, WA, and WV. I think WV is good for an NFT award, though. They just weren’t strong enough during the week to make it in.
The next I wouldn’t be totally shocked but for most intents and purposes they are out. They include: AR, CO, GA, HI, IN, LA, MA, MI, MN, ND, PA, SC, WY. A few comments on these:
GA—If she didn’t win SS, I pretty much knew she was out. Her talent was pretty bad, I don’t think she has a top notch interview from what I saw and she just did not stand out until swimsuit. It’s probably too late at that point. If we see her I won’t be totally shocked, but I’m not counting on it.
IN—Get out the smelling salts. If this was a weaker year I would say she could make the lower 15. She seems to speak very well and she’s got a beautiful voice. But this is too strong a year and she didn’t have a good swimsuit.
LA—I thought she would have made it in, and I totally don’t rule it out, but she’s got to compete with other really strong contestants. Her talent wasn’t good at all, her gown was iffy, and even in swimsuit it didn’t seem like she knew how to handle herself and her very fit body.
MA—There’s a slight possibility based on her educational pedigree, but I don’t see it otherwise.
PA—I just don’t think she was well-rounded enough to make the top 15. Others have been more consistent. She was average at best in swimsuit and talent.
WY—I struggled with this one, because she’s been doing okay, just a lot of other competition.
Now, here is who I have in my top 15 that I would almost bet on. There’s always a possibility they don’t make it, but here is the list:
AL—One word: theatrical. I think had she be able to settle down and compete with some sophistication this would be a formality. But she’s not. She has been only okay onstage. And everything she has done has been very dramatic. When she gave her onstage question she was genuine, but she was also rambling off a laundry list of her tragedies in life. Her dance was a bit fluffy—more showmanship than actual skill. Her swimsuit presentation was a bit manic as well. A lot of disappointment with relation to the hype. I would say that she has been consistent, but so have plenty of others. I am basing this basically on her reputation, as we well know, as the former MAOT, QOL winner, and what seems to be a favorite of Sam Haskell. He could barely contain himself as he was talking to her on that QOL interview around her. And she did speak well in her interview.
CA—Has been very consistent, and could have won both preliminaries. Major drawback is speaking ability. One of the strongest onstage this year.
CT—One of the most consistent this week. Very high in swimsuit, probably won gown, and good enough in talent.
FL—Another strong contestant onstage. With SS preliminary and good talent, she’s a shoe-in for the top 10, maybe even the top 5
IL—Has been very consistent throughout the week. No weak areas of competition, has some spark and personality about her.
IA—Very strong across the board and naturally so. Nothing seems forced with her, she’s very natural.
KY—Preliminary talent winner, great personal platform, and can speak well. Would be a good choice with CMN work.
MS—Has been consistent enough throughout the week. I’m seeing no higher than the top 10 at this point. Good, but like I’ve always said, something missing with her personality. She’s just kind of there.
NJ—Solid across the board plus very good speaking ability. Good academic background and appeals to a lot of people.
NY—It’s like I said before, if she was up against it in this competition, you’d never know it. She’s there to win. I kid you not. I think with her personality it’s one of those where you either love her or hate her with her originality. I’m choosing the former.
OH—She has been good enough all week and won a preliminary talent. I’m banking on her talent and personality.
OK—SS win, beauty and the arguably best prep team in the country.
And I think the rest of the 11-15 will come out of the following. The following have all done well enough all week that you would see them in the top 15:
DE, MD, MT, OR, TN, TX VA
A few notes on these:
DE—has done very well all week. Even if she doesn’t make the top 15 she should be very proud of herself. She assumed the title under unusual circumstances and has done very well all week.
MD—I can’t totally count her out yet. I’m not betting on it, but I wouldn’t be surprised if she can speak well.
OR—I knew the minute I saw her video that she might be someone to keep an eye on. I’m still looking. She’s had a very good week, comes across as very likeable.
TN—Of all the ones on this list, I’d bet on her. She comes from a state with a strong prep team and good history of late. But she also seems to be relatable and I could see the judges liking her.
TX—The only reason I have her here is because she is from Texas. Otherwise, she wouldn’t be a consideration, because she hasn’t been consistent all week. Her talent was really good. If she has a good interview that might be enough. But this could also be the year that Miss Texas sits one out. I don’t count her out because a subpar Texas will place over an above average Wyoming, let’s say. But I just think with all the stiff competition, this could be the off year.
Now the three I have not mentioned which are platform based and I see the possibility of making it in, last but not least:
ID, KS, WI
ID—Could very well get the public vote. Onstage, she isn’t outstanding. But neither was Erika Harold, Deidre, etc. She just has so much personality and zing, I think she would be hard to ignore. She’s got a real-life struggle that millions of people have. Now, I am not the mind of Sam Haskell, but she could be so well marketed. If she hooked up with health care organizations, goverment initiatives, etc, I think she’d be very busy. AND a moneymaker.
KS—If her onstage question was any indication of how she did, I think the judges would just fall in love with her. She has been consistent all week—not outstanding, but everything is good. I guarantee she would take this program in a new direction. I think more mainstream types would pay attention to her. I think you’d even see her embraced by the ones that don’t like pageants. She’s talented, very pretty, and she’s a real survivor.
WI—She’s also got a great story and just tells it, not overdramatic, not clichéd, just speaks from her heart about a relevant topic in today's society. As far as competition, she has also been very consistent. I would say a bit more than KS.
So, that’s everyone. So, who do I think will win? I can honestly tell you right now, I have no idea. This year is tricky. I will tell you that I wouldn’t be surprised at this point by either New York or Alabama. I never thought a three peat was possible, but I think it is. She’s actually got as much gas as Mallory seemed to have. She has a lot of energy, she is there to win, and she’s very much her own person. She’s modern, intelligent, and cosmopolitan. It sounds like I am describing Mallory, and maybe those types won’t win twice in three years. But I don’t know. You can’t ignore New York. As far as Alabama, this is the pick on paper. I think most pageant people had her as the one to beat. I will say this much about her: if she wins, it will be not about what she has done onstage. It will be in spite of it. I didn’t quite think about her winning until I saw her QOL interview. She does speak very well. One of the turnoffs I had to her when she was the OT was she seemed sort of overbearing. However, she seemed to have outgrown that. She does seem like a caring young woman and seems more mature. On the flip side, she’s a one trick pony. I think she is relying on her platform to win. Whatever works, I say. It worked for AL’s other winners. Maybe that was the advice given to her. As far as what she is doing onstage, no one has done her any favors. Maybe thats what worked for her to win OT. It’s not working here. This is the big time. The only big question I have is if she can talk about other things. The owner of the New York Knicks can sure talk about basketball. It’s what he knows. But put him on CNN and have him talk foreign policy he might not be as effective. I just wonder how Caitlin’s skills are otherwise. I suppose we will find out soon enough. If I were to pick another winner who has stood out all week, IA or CT, it just depends on what they did in interview. But I just don’t know. And that’s what is going to make tomorrow night a lot of fun.
I got to the parade earlier, but this wasn’t the best year for it. It was raining at the beginning, and many people, myself included, opted to go indoors. So I didn’t see a whole lot of the beginning. And then after that, you had the people inside trying to find the best places outside, so visibility wasn’t the best. And for reasons such as tonight, I’m not paying for a particular place. LOL it didn’t make a difference to the rain whether or not I paid to be near the Hall. I can do a rundown if anyone would like. I didn’t get to see a lot, especially in the beginning. Everyone was riding past under umbrellas. I can’t say I saw everyone well. And then with as dark and cloudy as it was, as soon as the sun set it got dark and you couldn’t see very well. But that’s Atlantic City in September. I always enjoy the parade because it ends with a bang for the contestants. They’ve worked so hard all week. Then they get to dress up, go out, and have crowds of people cheering for them. For 52 of them, it’s the last night hope is still alive. It’s so festive, and the crowds love it despite rain, anything. It’s always one of my favorite parts of pageant week. One thing that was missing this year was a lot of fun costumes. A lot of contestants opted for evening gowns. There were also a lot of sports and college themes this year.
So, if you think I’m way off, dead on or otherwise, let me know! I’d love to compare notes before the final night.
[ Post a Reply to This Message ]
- Wow . . . this is just and insightful, amazing rundown, and as an ardent Miss America fan I really enjoyed reading it! I do have one question: North Carolina has been another contestant that I've followed closely in the last couple of weeks. There is just something I like about her . . . and from what I understand her talent is amazing. What factored in to her being included on your list of not having a chance to advance. If I have time before the big show tomorrow night, I will share my Top 15 with you. I say next year I should make a trip to AC and we can hang out! -- Miss WI fan, 02:59:09 09/14/14 Sun
- Another question: In your review of PA, you said her swimsuit and talent were both average at best. Did you meant to say swimsuit and evening gown, because the way "Dick" gushed about her talent, I'm guessing it was well above average. -- Miss WI fan, 03:22:29 09/14/14 Sun
- Well that would be great if you could make it to Atlantic City! I can already tell you have a great sense of humor, so you'd fit right in. And the people are fun to interact with. You always end up meeting great people that you might not otherwise cross paths with. With regards to Miss NC, she was a really good talent, I enjoyed her singing. She was kind of weaker, though, in swimsuit and her gown presentation was sort of forgettable. She seems to be confident, though, and that can take you a long way. If she doesn't, I could defintely see a NFT for her. And yes, I meant gown with PA. LOL after a while all the competitions start to blur together. -- Owner/Moderator, 16:51:41 09/14/14 Sun
- I agree with almost everything you said. Well written and thought out. (NT) -- No name, 13:06:39 09/14/14 Sun
- I'm kind of wondering what your credentials/experience is to be able to review the contestants. I agree with many things you say but it's hard to know what to believe if we don't know anything about you. Can you give us any info of how you are involved with MAO and what makes your opinions/reviews pertinent? -- Respectfully inquiring, 13:21:37 09/14/14 Sun
- This is one persons opinion and analysts of the pageant. Does it really matter what their background is? (NT) -- .., 15:55:31 09/14/14 Sun
- It's ok, it's a fair question. I don't have a lot of time right now to get into my full experience, but with the exception of the Vegas years, I have been in AC for the pageant and preliminaries since the early/mid 90s. (Never got to go to Vegas, though) But I've followed along intensely. I've also been to many state pageants, local pageants, etc. As far as my own experience with the MAO, that's a longer one and it might be fun to put it in a separate post. So, I've seen many a contestant over the years. Part of this is fun, but it's a part of my life, too. It's like many of us--today is my Superbowl. (NT) -- Owner/Moderator, 16:57:03 09/14/14 Sun
- I'll try. My picks are: AL, CT, FL, CA, OH, NJ, OK, KY, TN, TX, IA, NC, IL, PA and MS -- No name, 13:47:57 09/14/14 Sun
- I think it's a great list. It's a lot of who I have been on board with all week, and ones that I realistically see making it in. All of these have done well all week. -- Owner/Moderator, 17:00:14 09/14/14 Sun
- My Final Picks: Top 15 Virgina, Texas, Pennsylvania, Tennessee, Florida Top 10: Wisconsin, Iowa, Ohio, New York, California, Alabama, Kansas, Kentucky, Oklahoma, Mississippi Top 5: 4th Runner-Up -- Oklahoma, 3rd Runner-Up -- California, 2nd Runner-Up -- Ohio, 1st Runner-Up -- Alabama, Miss America 2015- Kansas -- No name, 18:21:40 09/14/14 Sun
- Our predictors did pretty well assessing the top 15! -- Owner/Moderator, 01:56:26 09/15/14 Mon