1. Be respectful of Fordham and be respectful of each other.
2. In season keep posts Fordham basketball related.
3. Out of season try to keep posts Fordham basketball related, but at minimum keep posts Fordham related.
4. Do not attack and/or insult other posters (non-curse words included). Keep in mind that what may be a joke to you may be insulting to others. The moderators will use their discretion when pertaining to this topic. When in doubt your post will be deleted.
5. Just in case it bears repeating, be respectful of Fordham and be respectful of each other.
*** Keep in mind that this is a private forum. The moderators of this forum reserve the right to remove any and all messages that they deem inappropriate. When in doubt about a post or if you have any questions, do not hesitate to Contact the Forum Admin.
Starting a new post: Click on [Post a new message] to post a new message. For tips on posting scroll to the bottom of this page or click here.
North Carolina -- SU, Wed April 06, 2005 09:38:25 
It must be said that North Carolina is a worthy second successor to the Syracuse Orange. UNC is a great team. Syracuse was not fortunate this year, however great credit must be given to a team that that only lost by 3 to an eight man opponent. Apparently the refs were totally for Vermont. Two bad calls, a technical foul on Warrick for hanging on the rim (I've only seen this called once before-it was against St. Bonaventure in an NCAA game that preceeded ours in Cleveland a few years ago and cost the Bonnies a game against Kentucky), and a second bad call for a backcourt violation on a play where Syracuse never had possession of the ball in forecourt were too much to overcome. Also, Hakkem and Jerry were mugged all night and no calls. Fordham, it did not go unnoticed that you revelled in our defeat to Vermont. You are on notice. Should your basketball program ever improve to the point where it would earn an invitation to play in the Dome, Fordham will have to be punished.
Villanova Asst Fred Hill Resigns -- DebataRam, Tue April 05, 2005 20:04:12 
Just heard Villanova Assistant Fred Hill stepped down today. Wonding if anyone knew why? Is he taking over head coach duties somewhere? know it is not going to happen, but would love him as our #1 assitant, just wondering where he is going. why he is leaving?
Annual Dinner -- GMeagherFC74, Wed April 06, 2005 13:27:32 
The Annual Dinner at the Waldorf was resounding success. Father McShane has proved to be a worthy successor to the great Father O'Hare. I was lucky to have a few words with John Bach, FC 48, who was a great Fordham player and a Boston Celtic then our coach and athletic director. Coach Bach who spent a few years in the Navy during the War before finishing his studies is a class act and still at over 80 a stunning physical presence. He pointed out that it was he who recruited Charlie Yelverton, Jack Burik and Billy Mainor, the heart of our great 1971 team. He said that he never wanted to leave Fordham but when Brooklyn Prep's Joe Paterno called from Penn State with an offer to more than double his then $13,500 salary, he couldn't refuse given the 5 children he had at home. John was with his old player John Anderaise, the Knick announcer and restauranteur Buzzy O'Keefe of River Cafe and Water Club fame. It was also great to see Giants owner Wellington Mara. It was a great night and the remarks by Charles Osgood who has a son at Fordham now and a daughter who is an alumnae, and Countrywide Finance founder Angelo Mozzillo,were compelling and humourous. Surprisingly, Coach Bach said that St. Simon Stocks'Danny Lyons was a more talented player than his teammate Ed Conlin.
We're Holding Our Last Scholarship -- Rambacker, Mon April 04, 2005 12:46:09 
We will be holding our last scholarship until the Fall, unless we get a strong transfer over the summer. We've been contacted by several attractive possible transfers but there have not been formal releases yet from their schools. Jermaine Anderson will back up KA at the point next season.
Also heard that Mount Vernon, NY High School PG Chris Lowe will go the prep school route next season.
Fordham Baseball -- JA66, Tue April 05, 2005 23:00:35 
I recently saw the baseball team play Duquesne, Stony Brook and NYIT. Looks like we have some pretty good arms out there. Riordan, Mitsumori, Martinez and Tscherednik all looked awesome, and the offense gets explosive at the drop of a pin. Go Rams!
Pope Avery? -- The Fish, Mon April 04, 2005 19:00:04 
We know Cardinal Dulles cannot vote for the new pope. Could the voting cardinals vote for Cardinal Dulles for pope, even though he is passed 80. I know this is not going to happen, but what are the rules on this anyway?
virgin islands tournament -- ed lambert, Mon April 04, 2005 19:54:18 
does anyone have dates of this tournament it seems wisconsin already has hotel and travel program on it alumni board. we wont even get a room by the time its announced.
2005-2006 Roundball Schedule -- Lookin' Ahead, Sun April 03, 2005 16:17:12 
With two additional clubs (the St. Louis Billikens and the Charlotte 49ers) joining the A-10 Conference, for the 2005-2006 season, some of the conference games will be scheduled as home and away games, and others, as single games. The questions that come to mind are: (1) How is it determined exactly which conference members play a home and home series, and which clubs only play a single game ? (2) With regard to both conference and non-conference games, if only one game is scheduled, how is the home team determined ?
Ram at the Championship Game ?!!! -- Dan-O'Girth93, Mon April 04, 2005 22:20:23 
Can anyone please tell me why the North Carolina Tarheels have a ram as their mascot? Maybe I am missing something but since when did the Tarheels have a ram as their mascot? I know a Tarheel is some sort of reference to tobacco workers but how does a ram factor into the equation?
For a second there, with the light blue colors and the ram mascot, I thought URI had made it to the Big Dance...
Softball Sweep -- Patriot, Mon April 04, 2005 20:41:18 
Softball completed one of the most significant accomplishments on a Fordham Athletic field this year, today at Rose Hill. Swept 2 games from Umass(perennial eastern power who has won about 15 of the last 16 A-10 titles. Lady Rams are now 6-0 in league play and have won 8 straight. Get out and see this young and exciting squad play. They are Fordham's best athletic team this year.
Alex Galindo -- ConnRam99, Tue April 05, 2005 08:51:36 
Alex Galindo the 6'7" freshman small forward who played last year for Kansas has announced that he is transfering. Galindo played his high school ball at St. Benedicts and is leaving Kansas to be closer to home. Is Newark close enough to Rose Hill for Galindo?
Sienna Coach -- Jimbo65, Fri April 01, 2005 11:30:20 
Saw on another board where Fran McCaffrey was named the new coach of Sienna. According to Sagarin, UNC Greensboro ended the season at 15-12 and rated 186 while Sienna "achieved" 6-24 and a 295 rating. Is he from the Albany area etc. because on the surface it looks like a step down.
Conference USA Shakeup -- Hoop Poop, Mon April 04, 2005 13:35:00 
What are the behind the scenes intrigues, politics, and skullduggery, regarding the reconfiguration of Conference USA for the 2005-2006 season ?
Fran McCaffrey to Siena? -- Rambacker, Tue March 29, 2005 09:55:39 
Anyone else hearing that UNC-Greensboro Coach(and former Lehigh Coach) Fran McCaffrey is the leading candidate for the Siena job? Also hearing that Mike Hopkins, Asst. at Syracuse and Pete Gillen are the other candidates.
News? -- B. Mann, Sun April 03, 2005 13:08:57 
Any news at all regarding the last scholarship, DW's contract extension, OOC schedule for next year, a possible new assistant coach, Garden games, April 21 at Armstrong's? Rambacker, are you out there?
As basketball season wanes... I was wondering if we can open up the lacrosse debate... -- Ram1, Sun April 03, 2005 14:10:04 
Given Fordham's location, it seems LaCrosse would be a great fit.. Of course there would be a budget commitment (also Title IX consideration), but I think it would be a great opportunity. Also, now that we will have a new playing surface, Coffey's wear & tear is much less of a concern.. Given the relatively lower # of schools that play LaCrosse seems as if we could potentially jump in the fold quickly (at least from the perspective of playing a nice schedule..)...And btw Im not a lacrosse guy- I just think it's an interesting opportunity..
Stony Brook Coaching Candidates -- Rambacker, Mon April 04, 2005 10:33:15 
As per yesterday's NY Newsday, the top candidates for the Stony Brook head coach position are Matt Doherty(would he take this job?), George Washington Asst. Coach Steve Pikiell and LIU Coach Jim Ferry.
Definitely reinforces what has frequently been said here about how these centers are important to student quality of life. With all the schools which have or are building them it's looking like something needed just to stay in the recruiting game for students and faculty, and not just for athletes.
A little Fordham news in connection w/ the passing of Pope John Paul II -- bfg, Sat April 02, 2005 23:25:43 
Fr. McShane was one of the main commentators on CBS radio today. Fr. did a terrific job and spoke about how he was a young priest when the Pope was elected in 1978. Because of his early work in Polish universities and as a college chaplain, the Pope was a role model for Fr. McShane.
Youppi! -- The Fish, Fri April 01, 2005 07:06:09 
The Montreal Gazette is reporting that former Montreal Expos mascot Youppi! has been traded to the Montreal Canadiens Hockey Club. Look to see Youppi! at the Molson Center whenever pro hockey returns.
SAILING RESULTS -- Joe S. ' 58, Sun April 03, 2005 22:16:03 
This weekend, Team I represented Fordham at North # 1 at Hobart, the first of two qualifying regattas for our conference championship. We missed by one place as NY Maritime & Columbia qualified. We'll have another chance at North # 2 in two weeks. Results: 1. Hobart - 65 points; 2. Navy - 109; 3. Kings Point - 122; 4. St. Mary's - 123; 5. NY Maritime - 125; 6. Columbia - 139; 7. Fordham - 165; 8. Queens U. - 171; 9. Maryland - 172; 10. Cornell - 194; 11. Rochester - 240; 13. American U. - 322 & 14. Colgate - 323
Team II sailed at the Ocean County College Open at Toms River Y.C, in NJ and finished in the middle of the fleet. Results: 1. OCC - 40 points; 2. Washington College - 50; 3. U/Penn - 67; 4. Christopher Newport - 114; 5. Loyola - 122; 6. Princeton - 164; 7. NY Maritime - 173; 8. Drexel - 181; 9. Columbia - 182; 10. Fordham - 200; 11. UMBC - 220; 12. Penn State - 236; 13. Hampton - 246; 14. Lehigh - 278; 15. Stevens - 301; 16. Villanova - 304; 17. Salisbury - 380; 18. Cornell - 400 & 19. Old Dominion - 400.
SOFTBALL 1st place in A10 -- REXRAM, Thu March 31, 2005 18:03:26 
Congratulations to the womens' softball team in winning 6 in a row as they swept Marist yesterday and being in 1st place in the A10. Special congrats go out to Coach Orchard in winning her 100th game at Fordham and doing it only 3 1/2 seasons. It appears from the articles that this is a real team effort as there are many different players mentioned as contributing to the wins. Next up is UMass on Sat we should all get and support the women . I have seen them play and can tell you, you will not be disappointed in their play and effort.
1. I'm too young to know about the Porter or Digger stuff but apparently it is somewhat disturbing yet legitimate.
2. Yes there is some jealousy about Nova being in the Big East, & why not it is a better conference. Too bad our Admin didn't jump when the BE Door of opportunity presented itself.
3. Snobby... Absolutely. I grew up just minutes from Nova. It is nice school, extremely even par with FU but the kids students act like they are from Harvard. Drop the attitude.
4. Jay Wright. Once again we lost out on a solid, charasmatic coach who would be a great fit at FU, but our Admin couldn't get it done. Jealousy rings it's ugly ahead again & deservedly so. Wright has done a nice job & we ended up Sponge Bob Armani Pants. Hill set our program back about 10 years.
5. Some of us Football Fans remember the beating our beloved Rams took when we played the Cats in 1991-93?, when Coach Talley ran up the score on us. Keep in mind that there wereonly 5 catholic Schools playing Div. I or I-AA or FB at this time at FU was coached by Larry Glueck, a Nova Grad and Nova Hall of Famer. Talley is the biggest creep in college football. My three favorite college football teams are 1. Fordham, 2, Tennessee, and 3. whoever is playing Villanova.
6. A sizable portion of their strudent body comes from N. NJ and NY which is competition for FU, so rivalries exist but these kids seem to think Villanova is the mecca. (see #3, it is a very good school, but no better than Fordham and not Ivy League).
7. Facilities: Granted Nova does not have thee greatest facilities, they are substantially better than FU's. Personally I kinda like the ski lodge as it is cozy, unique, & has an ideal capacity 6,400. Also, they play 3-4 game at the Wachovia Center & draw well & we can't even sniff a doubleheader at the Garden. FU's answer is to renovate the oldest gym in America and keep the same capacity, turf Coffey and keep the HS football & baseball feel. FU should have developed a massive Fundraising campaign to EXPAND Rose Hill Gym & double capacity to 6,400 while also expanding on to Lombardi for a real Rec Center with a Real Weight Room, Offices, Locker Rooms, Hall of Fame, etc. and build a real Football Stadium (not metal) with a Track & Lights. This would all fit on the area that is now the gym and Coffey Field. The only exception is Baseball would have to move somewhere else (sorry).
8. No Home & Home: Frank should have demanded a home & home or not have scheduled the game. Period.
9. Marketing. Former Nova AD DeFillipo (now at BC) did an excellent job marketing Nova. Licensing, PR, TV Games, Scheduling, etc. Marketing is four letter word around Rose Hill & Damn Ram knows what I mean here. If we only had a Athletic Department that gave a sh!t, God knows what we could do.
10. Since I had 9 reasons I had to think of a 10th. Recent Tradition/Winning (last 25 years): No doubt FU has struggled in various sports with not much to cheer about, but Nova has been very successful. They brought back FB & have been a perennial Top 20-30 team, Hoops won a National Championship and consistently has a winning record, track is among the nations elite and most other sports are at the very least respectable.
So there you have it, a summary of why Rams Fans may refer to Nova Fans as should I say... ryhmes with wussies & not Wildcats.
Tips on posting
Starting a new post:
Click on [Post a new message] to start a new message.
Use the Message Subject box for a succint subject (required). 1000 character limit.
Use the Name box for your name (required). 20 character limit.
Use the E-mail address box for your email address if you want to provide it (not required).
Use the Type your message here box for you message. You are limited to 500 lines. The system will warn you and ask you to edit your message in order to submit it. 500 LINE limit.
Replying to a post:
Click on the post you are replying to.
Use the Message Subject box for your message. Typing your message here will have it show up on the main board so that others can read it without having to click on it. Note, you are limited to 1000 characters. If you exceed this limit you will be given an opportunity to fix it before final submition.
Use the Name box for your name (required).
Use the E-mail address box for your email if you wish to provide it.
Use of the Type your message here box is not required unless you exceed the 1000 character limit in the Message Subject box. You can then use the Type your message here box for the rest of your message.
For either a new post or a reply post you must "send" your message, review it, and then "approve" it.